or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Microsoft, HP introduce touchscreen 'slate PC' at CES

Microsoft, HP introduce touchscreen 'slate PC' at CES

post #1 of 227
During his keynote at CES Wednesday, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer unveiled a new touchscreen tablet from HP running Windows 7, dubbed a "slate PC."

The unveiling might be seen as a disappointment to any who hoped to see the concept Microsoft Courier, a dual-touchscreen device that folds up like a book. Instead, Ballmer showed three versions of what Microsoft now refers to as slate PCs. The HP prototype is said to be arriving later this year.

Ballmer demonstrated the device running the Amazon Kindle desktop application with the hit book "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer. The cover of the book ironically shows a pair of hands cradling an apple.

The HP slate has a multi-touch screen and is said to have instant-on capabilities. Additional slates were shown from Archos and Pegatron. Prices and additional details were not provided.

Microsoft and HP's slate PC announcement was largely seen as a preemptive strike against Apple, which is expected to announce its own touchscreen tablet later this month. Microsoft's choice of the word "slate" could even be viewed as a snub at Apple, which owns the trademark for the name iSlate.

First leaked as a concept last September, the Microsoft Courier was said to be a project under the eye of J Allard, Microsoft's chief experience officer. The Microsoft prototype reportedly included Wi-Fi, an iPhone-like home button, a camera on its reverse side, and an inductive charging pad like the Touchstone for the Palm Pre.

Concept pictures and video of the Courier showed two 7-inch screens held together by a hinge. The multi-touch screens were designed for writing, and could be controlled with either a stylus or fingers.

But the device -- which has never been officially acknowledged by Microsoft -- was not mentioned during Ballmer's CES keynote.

The touchscreen HP device that was shown was just one of many new products and services revealed by Ballmer. The Microsoft executive also noted that Windows 7 is the fastest selling operating system in history, with PC sales increasing 50 percent the week it launched. Months earlier, Apple also launched its latest operating system, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, which doubled the record-setting sales pace of its predecessor, Leopard.

Ballmer's keynote, in its entirety, is can be viewed at Microsoft's CES Web site.
post #2 of 227
History will show this for what it is... a desperate move by a floundering company.
It is almost as if they want to be accused of copying Apple.
post #3 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's choice of the word "slate" could even be viewed as a snub at Apple, which owns the trademark for the name iSlate.

Or it could just be the word for a tablet that has no keyboard. Slate computers have been around for years. They just always used a stylus until now.
post #4 of 227
I have to say, this is sad.
I guess all those courier fans on the other thread have to fess up.
Microsoft blew it.
Bye-bye, so-called "new, innovative Microsoft"

More of the same.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #5 of 227
The 'preemptive strike' against the Apple tablet turned out to be a preemptive dud. And instead of stealing Apple's thunder, the Windows slate actually helped by lowering the bar for the Apple tablet.

It also confirms that the Courier was just what critics said it was - vaporware.

Another brilliant tactical move by Mr. Ballmer.
post #6 of 227
This says it all. As in "subliminal."

It's what happens when you have ZERO control over the message. That's right MS, you have to *control* things - what goes in, what comes out. Take a page from Apple. Like what you usually try to do.
post #7 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

The 'preemptive strike' against the Apple tablet turned out to be a preemptive dud. And instead of stealing Apple's thunder, the Windows slate actually helped by lowering the bar for the Apple tablet.

Another brilliant tactical move by Mr. Ballmer.

I agree. You know what? This was the dullest keynote i have ever seen. It showed that they are out of steam.
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
post #8 of 227
This HP 'slate' (and it will be, by the press), what, with it's stunning high resolution display, compelling intuitive user interface, app, ebook and multimedia content infrastructure, gorgeous robust ultra thin casing, 6 hour battery life and of course, the innovative docking system mean that Microsoft's partners have once again trounced Apple at their own game.

First the Zune kills the iPod, and now this.

Steve must be shuddering in his sandals and wondering why he wasted 5 years focused on his dream project.

So so tragic, for so many reasons.

Quote:

During his keynote at CES Wednesday, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer unveiled a new touchscreen tablet from HP running Windows 7, dubbed a "slate PC."

The unveiling might be seen as a disappointment to any who hoped to see the concept Microsoft Courier, a dual-touchscreen device that folds up like a book. Instead, Ballmer showed three versions of what Microsoft now refers to as slate PCs. The HP prototype is said to be arriving later this year.

Ballmer demonstrated the device running the Amazon Kindle desktop application with the hit book "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer. The cover of the book ironically shows a pair of hands cradling an apple.

The HP slate has a multi-touch screen and is said to have instant-on capabilities. Additional slates were shown from Archos and Pegatron. Prices and additional details were not provided.

Microsoft and HP's slate PC announcement was largely seen as a preemptive strike against Apple, which is expected to announce its own touchscreen tablet later this month. Microsoft's choice of the word "slate" could even be viewed as a snub at Apple, which owns the trademark for the name iSlate.

First leaked as a concept last September, the Microsoft Courier was said to be a project under the eye of J Allard, Microsoft's chief experience officer. The Microsoft prototype reportedly included Wi-Fi, an iPhone-like home button, a camera on its reverse side, and an inductive charging pad like the Touchstone for the Palm Pre.

Concept pictures and video of the Courier showed two 7-inch screens held together by a hinge. The multi-touch screens were designed for writing, and could be controlled with either a stylus or fingers.

But the device -- which has never been officially acknowledged by Microsoft -- was not mentioned during Ballmer's CES keynote.

The touchscreen HP device that was shown was just one of many new products and services revealed by Ballmer. The Microsoft executive also noted that Windows 7 is the fastest selling operating system in history, with PC sales increasing 50 percent the week it launched. Months earlier, Apple also launched its latest operating system, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, which doubled the record-setting sales pace of its predecessor, Leopard.

Ballmer's keynote, in its entirety, is can be viewed at Microsoft's CES Web site.
post #9 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

I agree. You know what? This was the dullest keynote i have ever seen. It showed that they are out of steam.

They've been on a steady downward slide since messing up Longhorn in 2004. But in terms of attitude, philosophy, and progressive thinking, they've been on a slide since 98 or 99.
post #10 of 227
Quote:

... The cover of the book ironically shows a pair of hands cradling an apple...

Flawless. The Lean, Mean Launchin' Machine does it again!
post #11 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

This HP 'slate' (and it will be, by the press), what, with it's stunning high resolution display, compelling intuitive user interface, app, ebook and multimedia content infrastructure, gorgeous robust ultra thin casing, 6 hour battery life and of course, the innovative docking system mean that Microsoft's partners have once again trounced Apple at their own game.

First the Zune kills the iPod, and now this.

Steve must be shuddering in his sandals and wondering why he wasted 5 years focused on his dream project.

So so tragic, for so many reasons.

LOL, good post.
post #12 of 227
Apple = Company that has spent years, nay, decades funneling money and resources into a secret slate project with a perfectionist mind set, unwilling to release any information regarding the mystery product until it's absolutely perfect.

Microsoft = Company that reads rumors that Apple will release a mysterious slate device some time next year. Puts less time, and less resources into their product, steals the name of Apple's product, and jumps out of the gates early, displaying a shoddy prototype in apparent hope to steal Apple's thunder, or make the claim that "theirs was first."

Steve Jobs = Turtle Neck

Steve Ballmer = Turtle Head
post #13 of 227
Over the past few years MS has seemed like a doll that's lost its stuffing. This confirms it.

WTH has MS been doing for the past year??

LOL, even though Apple wasn't at CES, they seemed to have set the agenda. In fact, Apple has been setting the tech agenda for several years now.
post #14 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's what happens when you have ZERO control over the message. That's right MS, you have to *control* things - what goes in, what comes out. Take a page from Apple. Like what you usually try to do.

D'oh!... of all the possible covers to showcase they chose one with a big Apple on it? Lots of forehead smacking going on in Redmond this morning...
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
post #15 of 227
Why does that ad remind me of a nutsack and an upside down vagina?
post #16 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

D'oh!... of all the possible covers to showcase they chose one with a big Apple on it? Lots of forehead smacking going on in Redmond this morning...

Exactly.

Yes, Steve, we know Twilight is "cool" and you're trying to be "cool" and capture the younger (as in 15-17 year old girl) crowd, but didn't some bright bulb on your reveal team kinda notice the apple? And the apple displayed in a very flattering position at that?

Oh wait, these are probably the same handlers that for some reason allow Macbooks to be displayed in a not-so-hidden fashion during MS interviews, Windows 7 keynotes, etc. Now I get it.
post #17 of 227
MacDailyNews Take:

Yawnfest as usual. Someone forgot to provide Fester with some content to go along with all that filler. The amount of nothingness they have to show for all their billions of dollars and 93,000 employees astounds even us. Microsoft is a company bereft of interesting ideas coasting on past intellectual property thefts and the benefits of largely-unpunished monopoly abuse that's headed by a clueless buffoon who once got a very fortunate dorm assignment. The good news is, of course, that The Dark Ages of Personal Computing are rapidly coming to a close. Enjoy the renaissance!

Our customary toast: May Steve Ballmer remain Microsoft CEO for as long as it takes!

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/23570/
post #18 of 227
So is it official that Courier is truly Vaporware?
post #19 of 227
It's a photo frame running Windows 7.

Why would anyone want this?

And why show your cards like this M$?

This device will get mentioned at the Special Event.

M$ will get ethered*.

*those who don't know.
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
post #20 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I think you are bang on the nail. He just looks so awkward holding that. It puts me off immediately, I hope the apple version looks a bit more ergonomic!
post #21 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBLQ View Post

It's a photo frame running Windows 7.

Why would anyone want this?

And why show your cards like this M$?

This device will get mentioned at the Special Event.

M$ will get ethered*.

*those who don't know.

Hehe . . . word of the day.
post #22 of 227
Quote:

Seriously? Who wrote the article? The cover is of a book that is selling well that many people can identify. I highly doubt its any sort of sub-liminal message about how MS wishes they were Apple (come on MS, grow up, do your own thing!) Its not even the correct Apple anyways. Macintosh Apples (as in the actual food) typically have a more round shape, and aren't as deep of red. They are delicious however.

I think its groping for straws to point that out.

Anyhow, I'd love to see Apple at this point NOT release a "Slate" PC. Just to show other companies the "You all just chase us" mentality they have.

Everyone (including Apple since they do copy on a few things too) needs to stop chasing the other dogs tail, and forge their own path! Tons of creative minds out there, make use of them. All computers (Mac, Windows, Linux) do the same things in the same way... break the mold. If I had the talent and patience, I'd program it myself, but I can't.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #23 of 227
So, they make a 'slate' pc, and all they can show on it is the kindle software. Haha is all I say to that.
post #24 of 227
And notice there is no release date, only later this year. It seems that they want to wait to see what Apple produces so that they can try and copy the good concepts and get them in before release.
post #25 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

History will show this for what it is... a desperate move by a floundering company.

not like Bill Gates didn't demo a tablet back in 2001
post #26 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Does something have to exist before you copy it? I am looking forward to the "rumored" apple tablet as much as the next person, though at this point in time it is just a rumor will no specs, kinda hard to copy. If Apple were not to announce the tablet on the 26th of Jan and "speculated" a lot of people carrying on here, are going to look kinda stupid.

This is a HP product anyway running Win, its not a M$ product.
post #27 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

So is it official that Courier is truly Vaporware?

I actually wouldn't count on that, just yet. The fact that it wasn't announced last night does not mean it never will be. Remember: this is Microsoft we're talking about, a company known for being well behind the curve. How long did it take for them to release their "iPod Killer" Zune? Five years? Microsoft doesn't bank on winning customers by creating excellent products ahead of demand; they expect to coast on their tremendous capital, and if necessary out-spend the competition.

It is by no means surprising or telling that the Courier didn't beat the iSlate (should it actually arrive this month) out the door.
post #28 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

So what happened?

post #29 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmango View Post

So what happened?

A whole lotta nothing.
post #30 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

But not by anyone with any power. I suspect Ballmer thought it was a good not-so-subtle dig at Apple. Instead, it just brought Apple to people's attention. If Apple doesn't announce a slate at the end of January, they will look bad. But if they do and it has some REAL innovation - like a deforming screen - then MS's thunder will be quite stolen.

Who knows? Maybe Ballmer is not that bright. Whoever made the script said they needed to display a book popular with young, hip, people and Twilight was chosen with no thought to the fact that the cover prominently displays an APPLE!!! Ballmer's company's products have shown he has no sense of aesthetics. Maybe he missed the significance.

I also wouldn't put it past Steve J. to put some sort of "retaliation" in whatever is announced on the 27th. I can easily picture him watching Ballmer's keynote, seeing the Apple, and jumping up shouting a stream of expletives. And immediately turning his attention on how to get back at Ballmer. Nerd CEO fight!

- Jasen.
post #31 of 227
Seriously, there has to be an Apple sympathizer deep inside Redmond controlling Marketing for Microsoft. Does anyone really think that HP will have a usable product for sale before the next CES? Thud. They will wait for the Apple device and then start bragging up some as-yet-unnamed device that does everything the Apple does plus much, much more because of the almighty Windows 7. Whatever.

The Lenovo laptop with the detachable screen is pretty cool, though. Plus it's actually a working device! It's not something that I have an interest in, but it's a cool concept for sure. Kudos to them.
post #32 of 227
Once again Balmer + Microsoft prove that they know as much about being innovative as i know about weaving baskets. They had THE chance to up the ante by showing off the 'courier' device but no, window 7 (yawn!) on some clunky tablet hardware by HP and Archos. Who know, they are probably incapable of actually producing a device like that. And I wonder if Bill is kicking himself in the butt for having left the store with a nutjob like Balmer in charge. Probably not....
post #33 of 227
You don't demo/debut a product like that... if it's not ready to buy today or next month don't show it.
Don't even acknowledge it's real...do you see where I'm coming from here? Anyone notice how he conscientiously said 'PC' ninety nine times?

A vile Harkkonen in a red sweater showed us a damn Walgreens digital photo frame. You as a fan of technology should be offended...I know I am.
No demo of how you'd use it or why as a consumer would you really want it and have to have it.
Just held it, clumsily tapped at it and put it away.
It will fail.

I CANT WAIT to see what Apple has planned.
post #34 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Yep, tablet PCs have been around for ages - screens you could remove off of a keyboard and such.

The AMAZING faux pas I reckon is demonstrating it working by featuring the Kindle software on it. How odd! No doubt these machines will cost more than Kindles, if you want to use Kindle software for reading books and magazines - and it does this very well - why not buy the cheaper Kindle?

And Kindle uses its own DRM - so purchsed product files can't work with other eReaders. Isn't there an open standard that MS could have announced it was supporting?
post #35 of 227
Without a new UI and a parade of developers to showcase it, they never should have shown that. Should have let HP take the heat for producing just another form factor for Windows. The leaked "Courier" concept video was all about the UI, Windows was really no where to be seen. For all the interest that video stirred up, MS just squashed it, ground it into their heel. If you're gonna do the keynote at CES, its best to not look like you're rummaging through a box for something interesting to show your audience. Watching them parade Halo out again and hearing them try and sputter out "2010 is going to be our best year ever!" was just baffling and sad. Wow.
post #36 of 227
Does anyone know how or where I can watch this impressive keynote?

I have a PPC Mac and you need the latest cruddy Silverlight plugin to watch it on their site, but it won't install on a PPC.

It doesn't seem to be available on Youtube either.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #37 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Does anyone know how or where I can watch this impressive keynote?

I have a PPC Mac and you need the latest cruddy MS Silverlight plugin to watch it on their site, but it won't install on a PPC.

It doesn't seem to be available on Youtube either.

Save your time
post #38 of 227
Ok. So Micro$oft makes a gaffe, and the heads turn to see what Apple has up it's sleeve. Par for the course then.

Looks like Apple has the tech world right where they want it: yawning at the competition and giving Mr. Jobs (relatively) undivided attention.
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
post #39 of 227
Microsoft announced smartphone(s) and tablet(s) at CES.

Too little too late on the smart-phones, but a unwelcome guest in the market share arena, should strengthen Apple and RIM.

The "App Store" combined with the new UI will make Apple's tablet rein supreme.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #40 of 227
If you guys all want some fun head over to PCWorld's blog, link below. The PC fanboys are defending Ballmer's screw up and claiming the Apple Tablet is vaporware, it is hilarious. I have never trolled before but could not resist stoking the fire there. It's a good and well balanced article actually.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18617...pointment.html
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Microsoft, HP introduce touchscreen 'slate PC' at CES