or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Brit Hume: Completely Clueless, as usual.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brit Hume: Completely Clueless, as usual. - Page 4

post #121 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

As far as humanitarian aid is concerned, we help because we can and because we believe we have a moral obligation to do so.

Here is what we are doing for Haiti now.

Here are some things we have done for Haiti in the past.

As you can see, we do not do it alone. We partner with many other charitable organizations and render aid to any who need it, regardless of religion.

Doesn't cut it.....the Spanish Inquisition burned Witches at the stake because they felt a moral obligation to do so.

Modern fundies try to brainwash and convert people for the same reason.

Let's see where we are with these clowns if we leave morals out of it...it's not like they have many, no matter what they say.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #122 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Doesn't cut it.....the Spanish Inquisition burned Witches at the stake because they felt a moral obligation to do so.

Modern fundies try to brainwash and convert people for the same reason.

Let's see where we are with these clowns if we leave morals out of it...it's not like they have many, no matter what they say.

You are bordering on hypocricy here with your argument against people trying to change other people through verbal interchange of ideas.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #123 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You are bordering on hypocricy here with your argument against people trying to change other people through verbal interchange of ideas.

I am all for the interchange of ideas - in fact it is my argument against the Fundies, they NEVER interchange ideas nor intend to...the goal is to replace your ideas (which they ignore) with their own.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #124 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Some of the posters in this thread have no shame, hence they vote repub.

"One of the world's most influential scientists has warned that climate change could devastate Africa, predicting an increase in catastrophic food shortages. Conway predicts hunger on the continent could increase dramatically in the short term as droughts and desertification increase, and climate change affects water supplies. "Projected reductions in crop yields could be as much as 50% by 2020 and 90% by 2100," the paper says."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-gordon-conway

The list of crimes that both dems and repubs have committed is too long to list. To attribute their actions in any way as being influenced by Jesus is evil itself personified.

Some of the posters in this thread have no shame, hence they vote Dem. And they are apparently hypocrites as well in their arguments. \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #125 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I am all for the interchange of ideas - in fact it is my argument against the Fundies, they NEVER interchange ideas nor intend to...the goal is to replace your ideas (which they ignore) with their own.

Yes, you would never try to do that I am sure.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #126 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Yes, you would never try to do that I am sure.

I hope you're being sarcastic.....I'm pretty much 99% sure in my assessment of your outlook so I wouldn't want to have to reappraise.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #127 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I hope you're being sarcastic.....I'm pretty much 99% sure in my assessment of your outlook so I wouldn't want to have to reappraise.

Really, you have me pegged? This I have got to hear! Please, elucidate. I don't want you to have false opinions of me.

Seriously, tell me what you think, and if you don't want to do so publicly, PM it to me.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #128 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Really, you have me pegged? This I have got to hear! Please, elucidate. I don't want you to have false opinions of me.

Seriously, tell me what you think, and if you don't want to do so publicly, PM it to me.

Let's not.... if I'm right you don't need me to tell you and if I'm wrong it would be a waste of time.

How about getting back to the issues?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #129 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Some of the posters in this thread have no shame, hence they vote Dem. And they are apparently hypocrites as well in their arguments. \

I wouldn't vote dem or repub. There's way too much evil being committed by the dems to allow me to vote for them just to keep the considerably more evil repubs out. So I can't win either way there. I might vote Green next time though.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #130 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I wouldn't vote dem or repub. There's way too much evil being committed by the dems to allow me to vote for them just to keep the considerably more evil repubs out. So I can't win either way there. I might vote Green next time though.

I hesitate to say this but (whisper) shocking as it is, some of the posters on this thread may not even be American.

Some may even - I hesitate to utter this horror - come from somewhere else

Some may not even give a rat's arse about American politics.

But then again, it's not very likely is it? And even on the million-to-one off-chance it just means they are insignificant right?

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #131 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I hesitate to say this but (whisper) shocking as it is, some of the posters on this thread may not even be American.

Some may even - I hesitate to utter this horror - come from somewhere else

Some may not even give a rat's arse about American politics.

But then again, it's not very likely is it? And even on the million-to-one off-chance it just means they are insignificant right?


My US passport expires on 30th Nov 2018. I've got a British passport too. I can vote in the US elections but welcome the views here of those who can't.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #132 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I hesitate to say this but (whisper) shocking as it is, some of the posters on this thread may not even be American.

Some may even - I hesitate to utter this horror - come from somewhere else

Some may not even give a rat's arse about American politics.

But then again, it's not very likely is it? And even on the million-to-one off-chance it just means they are insignificant right?


In case you believe my second hypocrite statement was pointed at you, rest assured, it was not...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #133 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

In case you believe my second hypocrite statement was pointed at you, rest assured, it was not...

No, no...I didn't think that....

I have a question - an ot one - why am I hearing on the radio all day "Xian aid groups this' and 'Xian relief groups that' on and on?

Who cares whether they are Satanist Aid Groups? Surely the thing is to get the aid there? Why label yourself as Xian? Seems odd...

Reminds me of that old philosophical paradox: a Xian and an atheist both spend their lives doing 'good works'. The Xian because he wants to get to heaven, the atheist because that's just the way he is.

They both die at the same time by some strange stroke of fate (probably both pushed me too far in some discussion or something) and it turns out that the Big Man does exist after all.

However, it's the atheist that gets let in the pearly gates (no St Peter though - that would be stretching illusory analogies too far and the Church already did that one) and the Xian gets taken to the nether regions to be roasted on a spit for eternity.

Why? Because the atheist was truly selfless and thus, paradoxically, acted in keeping with Xianity by doing good and the Xian who was a hypocrite and only acted out of desire for reward - thus breaking the tenets of his belief.

In fact, on this view, perhaps ONLY an atheist could ever really be a true Xian as it seems impossible for fundies to 'not want heaven' and be truly altruistic.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #134 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

No, no...I didn't think that....

I have a question - an ot one - why am I hearing on the radio all day "Xian aid groups this' and 'Xian relief groups that' on and on?

Who cares whether they are Satanist Aid Groups? Surely the thing is to get the aid there? Why label yourself as Xian? Seems odd...

Ask the people reporting the news why they feel the need to report the religious affiliation of the group.

Quote:
Reminds me of that old philosophical paradox: a Xian and an atheist both spend their lives doing 'good works'. The Xian because he wants to get to heaven, the atheist because that's just the way he is.

They both die at the same time by some strange stroke of fate (probably both pushed me too far in some discussion or something) and it turns out that the Big Man does exist after all.

However, it's the atheist that gets let in the pearly gates (no St Peter though - that would be stretching illusory analogies too far and the Church already did that one) and the Xian gets taken to the nether regions to be roasted on a spit for eternity.

Why? Because the atheist was truly selfless and thus, paradoxically, acted in keeping with Xianity by doing good and the Xian who was a hypocrite and only acted out of desire for reward - thus breaking the tenets of his belief.

In fact, on this view, perhaps ONLY an atheist could ever really be a true Xian as it seems impossible for fundies to 'not want heaven' and be truly altruistic.

Well, interesting thought, CS Lewis had similar ideas about being saved through actions rather than simple grace as well. But the part you are missing in the argument is grace and redemption of sin. If you want to go deeper we can, but suffice it to say, nobody, not even the nicest Christian or Atheist do enough good deeds to make it into heaven on their own. You have to accept the forgiveness given at the cross. I don't think that means you have to convert to Christianity and start giving to the 700 Club. But you have to accept the free gift at the cross which was intended for all people. It was enough to cover every wrongdoing.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #135 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I have a question - an ot one - why am I hearing on the radio all day "Xian aid groups this' and 'Xian relief groups that' on and on?

Because Christian aid groups are doing an overwhelming amount of the aid working that is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Who cares whether they are Satanist Aid Groups? Surely the thing is to get the aid there? Why label yourself as Xian? Seems odd...

Because if they weren't outright with who they were, people like you would take to the internet complaining that these 'fundies' were hiding their beliefs and using non-Christian funds to promote their religion. We know there is no winning with people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Reminds me of that old philosophical paradox: a Xian and an atheist both spend their lives doing 'good works'. The Xian because he wants to get to heaven, the atheist because that's just the way he is.

They both die at the same time by some strange stroke of fate (probably both pushed me too far in some discussion or something) and it turns out that the Big Man does exist after all.

However, it's the atheist that gets let in the pearly gates (no St Peter though - that would be stretching illusory analogies too far and the Church already did that one) and the Xian gets taken to the nether regions to be roasted on a spit for eternity.

Call me when atheists start relief efforts that mirror the work of the Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse and World Vision.

And don't kid yourself. No atheist will enter Heaven's gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Why? Because the atheist was truly selfless and thus, paradoxically, acted in keeping with Xianity by doing good and the Xian who was a hypocrite and only acted out of desire for reward - thus breaking the tenets of his belief.

You don't even understand the tenets of the religion you're constantly criticizing.

You can't seriously say that Jesus did not tell his followers not to work with an eye for their eternal reward, can you?

There are too many NT scriptures to count that reference Jesus talking about this earth as being a mere shadow of what is to come and that Christians should "store up for themselves treasures in heaven."

You criticize what you clearly do not understand. I'm beginning to think that whatever bad childhood experiences you attribute to your family's "fundie" Christianity are really the result of your failure to listen and grasp what was being taught. Plenty of people have negative views of Christianity, but few with a church background make such fundamental errors regarding Christian beliefs.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #136 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Because Christian aid groups are doing an overwhelming amount of the aid working that is going on.

They're certainly doing an overwhelming load of something that's for sure...


Quote:
Because if they weren't outright with who they were, people like you would take to the internet complaining that these 'fundies' were hiding their beliefs and using non-Christian funds to promote their religion. We know there is no winning with people like you.

People like you....hmmm.....

Quote:
Call me when atheists start relief efforts that mirror the work of the Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse and World Vision.

Ring Ring...err...they would be the normal people just doing it for no ulterior motive..difficult to grasp I know but they're out there...

[quote]
And don't kid yourself. No atheist will enter Heaven's gates.
[quote]

I'm with you there.

And no-one else will either.

[quote]You don't even understand the tenets of the religion you're constantly criticizing.[quote]

I don't agree with the tenets and find them obscene but I understand enough..

Quote:
You can't seriously say that Jesus did not tell his followers not to work with an eye for their eternal reward, can you?

Yes. Seriously.

Quote:
There are too many NT scriptures to count that reference Jesus talking about this earth as being a mere shadow of what is to come and that Christians should "store up for themselves treasures in heaven."

Shouldn't be difficult to quote one then.

Reference?

Quote:
You criticize what you clearly do not understand. I'm beginning to think that whatever bad childhood experiences you attribute to your family's "fundie" Christianity are really the result of your failure to listen and grasp what was being taught. Plenty of people have negative views of Christianity, but few with a church background make such fundamental errors regarding Christian beliefs.

I rather incline to the idea that I am making errors in regard to your beliefs. They do seem a bit wooly and you don't express them too well so I suppose it is a distinct possibility. But I do not make the mistake that your beliefs are in themselves representative of any divine, Holy or even legitimate equivalent - and nor should you.

Re the personal arena into which we seem to have veered, I didn't actually have any bad experiences growing up with the Fundies. I met a lot of hypocrites, perverts and general scumbags but I regard that as a useful education for later life and today's world in particular.

I'm really quite grateful all in all- it also awoke me to a deeper respect for Christ's real teachings as an antidote to the assholes I was sequestered with for so long...it was quite enjoyable in retrospect.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #137 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

As far as humanitarian aid is concerned, we help because we can and because we believe we have a moral obligation to do so.

Here is what we are doing for Haiti now.

Here are some things we have done for Haiti in the past.

As you can see, we do not do it alone. We partner with many other charitable organizations and render aid to any who need it, regardless of religion.

It is good to see churches doing the Christian thing, and helping those in need... its good that they have all this money to spare in these tough economic times. But there again, unlike the rest of us, they don't pay taxes.

Since this thread has incorporated the Haiti Earthquake and the aid response, it is interesting to note a few comparisons: Churches were also quick on the uptake when New Orleans and a large swath of the Gulf Coast was flooded and flattened by Hurricane Katrina. But.... how about the response by the US Government? In the case of Katrina, we all know what happened... about a week after the storm, which the NOAA/NWS had predicted with great accuracy 3 days prior to landfall, FEMA was nowhere to be seen and the National Guard troops came limping into the city a week after the storm happened. The official response was either "pathetic", or a deliberate non-response.

In very stark contrast, there's the issue of US aid to the victims of the Haiti quake. Unlike Hurricane Katrina (or any hurricane for that matter) where aid agencies can make some prior prepping, there's no advance warning of a quake. But the US response to Haiti has been rapid and comprehensive... $100 million, 5000+ troops, food, medicine, tents... and this aid is arriving as I write this, just two days after the quake.

Some people are quick to point out that the US is always the first to step up to the plate when responding to a disaster... and in many cases that is true... just look at the US response to the Haiti quake. However, the converse is also true: when we have our own disasters, the rest of the world to pitch in . Katrina was strking example of such, most of this foreign aid ended up being unclaimed or forfeited. This was both political (ie there was intent in DC to nix aid to Katrina victims), and logistical (the mechanisms to distribute foreign aid were not in place anyway) ... meaning that many of the millions whose livelihoods and homes were wrecked by the storm didn't see a solitary cent. Two nations which offered some of the most substantial aid packages for the US happened to be Cuba and Iran. Cuba offered to send 1,586 doctors and 26 tons of medicine but this generosity was rejected by the State Department, the Bush Administration obviously preferred to play cheap politics rather than help the US people... Iran offered humanitarian aid and a donation of 20 million barrels of crude oil worth $1.5 Billion at 2005 prices.. this offer was also rejected, probably also for political reasons.

Why the disparity here? I doubt it's much to do with the different administrations in DC.. (they are owned by and answer to the same people). Perhaps there's politics in play here: there was a coup d'etat in 2004 in which there was a likely US (and French) involvement, as there was a both US and French military presence in Haiti prior to Aristide's government being overthrown. Perhaps its a case of efficiency and competence of personnel in the appropriate agencies or lack thereof?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #138 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post



Call me when atheists start relief efforts that mirror the work of the Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse and World Vision.

And don't kid yourself. No atheist will enter Heaven's gates.

Both of these statements are hideous. Sheesh.

What about the red cross and what about Oxfam or ActionAid? Neither one are religious as such.

Why not have respect for those who are contributing whether they are Christian or not?

Oh and by the way when God asks you about AGW and why you destroyed so much of his creation, don't look down.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #139 of 204
One of the largest contributors to the relief effort is the US military, which as far as I know is not a Christian army.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #140 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Doesn't cut it.....the Spanish Inquisition burned Witches at the stake because they felt a moral obligation to do so.

Modern fundies try to brainwash and convert people for the same reason.

Let's see where we are with these clowns if we leave morals out of it...it's not like they have many, no matter what they say.

You are willing to condemn everyone who professes to be Christian because of the Spanish Inquisition and "modern fundies"?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #141 of 204

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #142 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

What about the red cross and what about Oxfam or ActionAid? Neither one are religious as such.

Ignorance is primarily a liberal disease. Ignorance of history is a liberal mandate.

The Red Cross was founded by Henry Dunant, a devout Calvinist

Oxfam was founded by a group of Quakers, in the library of an Oxford church. Key to the effort was Cecil Jackson-Cole, a devout Christian.

The same devout Christian went on to form ActionAid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Why not have respect for those who are contributing whether they are Christian or not?]

I have not disrespected any non-Christian participating in the relief effort. I have simply pointed out that Christian humanitarian relief comprises a large chunk of the effort, and also pointed out that those who deny the existence of God, shake their fists and rage at those who "believe in fairy tales", do very little of the humanitarian work they claim to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Oh and by the way when God asks you about AGW...

That's not what He's going to ask. There's only one question.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #143 of 204
Oooh, let me guess the question!

"Why did you forsake me, Zeus, king of the gods?" *raises lightning bolt for ass zappage*

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #144 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Ignorance is primarily a liberal disease. Ignorance of history is a liberal mandate.

That's a very broad brush stroke you paint there. Do you have any evidence for that blanket statement? I would be curious to see the results of a survey where the questions were designed to reveal how smart/knowledgeable/ignorant etc the respondents were, scientifically carried out, using a large sample proportionately representing all social, income, religious, racial etc. etc. groups, and then run some comparisons with political leanings... just to see what, if any correlations exist, and towards which end of the political spectrum ignorance, or knowledge etc were biased.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #145 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

That's a very broad brush stroke you paint there. Do you have any evidence for that blanket statement? I would be curious to see the results of a survey where the questions were designed to reveal how smart/knowledgeable/ignorant etc the respondents were, scientifically carried out, using a large sample proportionately representing all social, income, religious, racial etc. etc. groups, and then run some comparisons with political leanings... just to see what, if any correlations exist, and towards which end of the political spectrum ignorance, or knowledge etc were biased.

Your sarcasm-meter is broken.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #146 of 204
Apple seems to have set up a donation system through iTunes (the US store has it; Japan's doesn't, yet... I didn't check other countries).

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #147 of 204
They should revive CNN's Crossfire and have Danny Glover and Pat Robertson go at it.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #148 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

They should revive CNN's Crossfire and have Danny Glover and Pat Robertson go at it.

I'd rather see them revive the Circus Maximus with Robertson and Leo Panthera
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #149 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Oooh, let me guess the question!

"Why did you forsake me, Zeus, king of the gods?" *raises lightning bolt for ass zappage*

I'm counting on Thor when I go.

"I KNEW it."
post #150 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

They should revive CNN's Crossfire and have Danny Glover and Pat Robertson go at it.

Glover must have been reading Hands Sandons posts on how Global Warming will cause earthquakes... Sooner than expected I guess...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #151 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

I'm counting on Thor when I go.

"I KNEW it."

What I'd REALLY love is for the Fundies to be 100% correct but God to damn them all anyway and let the rest of us in just because He can and they're so boring...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #152 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

What I'd REALLY love is for the Fundies to be 100% correct but God to damn them all anyway and let the rest of us in just because He can and they're so boring...

How loving of you.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #153 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I
That's not what He's going to ask. There's only one question.

That's quite right.

Because you can saw off the top of a mountain for copper, despoil a rainforest, displace an entire indigenous people, or massacre them, commit sundry atrocities, spray-paint cave art and explode ancient monuments, consign millions to poverty... just as long as you can answer that one question right.

Then you're in. Along with the devout Catholic Robert Mugabe.

Gandhi, no. Go to hell. The Dalai Lama? Lake of fire.
post #154 of 204
What I'd really love is if someone could take responsibility and punishment for all the things I have one wrong in my life without me doing anything to deserve it. And not just for me, but for everyone in the world. And not only that, but that there would be no catch, just accepting that that person did it for me. That would be totally awesome...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #155 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

How loving of you.

What can I say? Fundies taught me all I know...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #156 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

What I'd really love is if someone could take responsibility and punishment for all the things I have one wrong in my life without me doing anything to deserve it. And not just for me, but for everyone in the world. And not only that, but that there would be no catch, just accepting that that person did it for me. That would be totally awesome...

Yes, that's what you'd really love..fair enough.

But to love it and need it so much you just have to believe it when you read it....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #157 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

That's quite right.

Because you can saw off the top of a mountain for copper, despoil a rainforest, displace an entire indigenous people, or massacre them, commit sundry atrocities, spray-paint cave art and explode ancient monuments, consign millions to poverty... just as long as you can answer that one question right.

Then you're in. Along with the devout Catholic Robert Mugabe.

Gandhi, no. Go to hell. The Dalai Lama? Lake of fire.

So you have a problem with the fact that people you don't like may be forgiven? Gandhi and the Dalai Lama have the same shot as everyone else. Nobody on this forum gets to decide. There is only one who does that and neither of us is him.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #158 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

What can I say? Fundies taught me all I know...

You are a very adept student aren't you? The student becoming the master?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #159 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Yes, that's what you'd really love..fair enough.

But to love it and need it so much you just have to believe it when you read it....

That really bothers you for some reason... How does my belief hurt you? Not anyone else, just you.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #160 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

So you have a problem with the fact that people you don't like may be forgiven? Gandhi and the Dalai Lama have the same shot as everyone else. Nobody on this forum gets to decide. There is only one who does that and neither of us is him.

No, I have a problem with the idea that people who can be unrepentant of their atrocities against other people and the planet can bask in the bosom of the Lord for eternity simply by telling the Lord they love Him, while people who teach forgiveness and love ON EARTH spend eternity in hell because they didn't.

What a disgusting thing to believe.

You are a good person, Noah. I absolutely believe that. How can you believe such a thing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Brit Hume: Completely Clueless, as usual.