or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google struggling to support angry Nexus One buyers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google struggling to support angry Nexus One buyers - Page 3

post #81 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Nothing is wrong with standing in line. What wrong is anyone that knows anything about technology knows early adopters are fools that like to give away their money. Its very hard to argue that point in this case seeing the 4gb iPhone was dropped soon afterwards and the 8gb iPhone had a 200.00 price drop.

iPhone 3Gs users paid 199.00 compared to 599.00 for a phone that is far superior compared to the gen1 model. And the only downside is they weren't the first on their block to have an iPhone.

When it comes to technology any early adopter might as well have sucker stamped on their forehead.

Not so much fools. Without these folks, the 2nd round would never come out. Sure, we take a risk, and sometimes lose out with a crap product, but on the whole it works. I think that just blanket attacking early adopters is rude on your part. We buy the first rev because we choose to.
post #82 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did you know RTF was invented by Microsoft?

OMG! We haven't seen any posts from MobileMe since the above reply... he didn't go and jump the nearest bridge, did he?

If I'm not mistaken... you (ASCII) could be liable for his death... considering the US Judicial way of seeing things... or?
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #83 of 189
There seems to me to be two kind of innovation. Incremental - gradually improving on existing solutions, and paradigmatic - fundamentally changing the rules of the game. Apple is no better than the rest of the pack at the first - or are they (i will return to that), but they shure are ahead of them at the latter. Every few years, Appel changes the rules of the game, and every one else plays catchup. So when you and others say that Apple needs competion in order to innovate, you are really saying (or so I understand it) that they should follow the others in incremental innovation.
And true, once Apple has introduced a new paradigm, the stubornly - and rather conservatively, stick to it. But is that so bad? Consumers appear to think it is not! (a few poster here seem to think that is beacuse they are all being fooled - by the millions, year after year ... speaks for itself I guess). Apples conservative minnimalism and theire insistence on not doing anything they cant do really, really well can indeed be frustrating sometimes. But gennerally (with the occasional cockup), I believe we end up with an overall better product because of it. So, I hope Apple keeps its cool - as they usually do - and avoid the race to pile technology on tehcnology and functionality on functionality where it really dosen´t make any great practical difference and does not improve the product in any significant way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't know why those people looking for Nexus One support can't just f*ing Google it. Although it's quite interesting what comes up:



I actually don't have much desire to see Google fail over this. I think Apple did want to partner with Google on the iPhone and Jobs said something to this effect during a keynote. But, not everyone likes Apple's business model - having a closed app store with apps that only run on one device, having the phone locked to one carrier and that device not supporting everything they need.

The only way Apple will step up and improve these things for the consumer is if they face stiff competition. The Android store is building very quickly and the Nexus One hardware is pretty good. Google is also a large brand people recognize and with billions of hits a day, they have a platform to sell their phone in huge numbers. That's a pretty good incentive for Apple to step up.
post #84 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Nothing is wrong with standing in line. What wrong is anyone that knows anything about technology knows early adopters are fools that like to give away their money. Its very hard to argue that point in this case seeing the 4gb iPhone was dropped soon afterwards and the 8gb iPhone had a 200.00 price drop.

iPhone 3Gs users paid 199.00 compared to 599.00 for a phone that is far superior compared to the gen1 model. And the only downside is they weren't the first on their block to have an iPhone.

When it comes to technology any early adopter might as well have sucker stamped on their forehead.

I don't think it's limited to technology. Manufacturers can only do so much testing, the rest is done by us. Technology prices go up and down, the fact Apple gave original iPhone purchasers $100 dollars back was good PR.

The early adopters weren't actually entitled to anything other than the freedom to take their business elsewhere in future. That clearly hasn't happened judging by iPhone sales now has it?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #85 of 189
What do you expect from a company who launches online applications used by millions as Betas and keeps them Betas for years? Google does have some experience with hardware though - but it's all in server appliances for enterprise. They deal with corporate IT people, not man-on-the-street who can barely set the clock on his microwave.
post #86 of 189
@extremeskater
I've read your posts over some weeks now and I'm worried about you kid. You really mustn't skip taking the tablets.
Clearly your mum was an early adopter too and clearly she has paid the price for that but (hey!) she stuck with you nevertheless even though there was no compensatory rebate. Kudos to her.
Fool of a fool.
But wait. I am the embodiment of kindness, after all, so here is a beginner's lesson....just for little old you. Learn it well my bozo.
Now repeat slowly after me........

Early adopters are the ones who take the risks and breathe life into innovation.
Without innovation, there is no progress.
Therefore early adopters are the champions, the sponsors, of all progress.
In brief therefore: No early adopters= No, or very slow, progress.

Write it down. Put the paper in your mouth. Chew slowly. Swallow. Digest it well.
Now go stand facing the corner and do ten reps of this axiom by yourself.
Repeat daily for a month.

Anyone with a brain knows that if you want valuable, innovative products, you go where you can find that and you buy, buy, buy. NO hesitation baby! There is risk in everything, just as in your case my little bozo, and early adopters know that. That's why you survived the slops bucket to vent your bitter loser spleen so often here. The point is, unlike you, most thinking people take the risk knowing that, with the right company, they will never be intentionally short-changed. If their purchase is slightly flawed in its first iteration, they will be listened to and a correction will be made. Any company is free to revise its specs or prices without prior notice. I guess that bothers you because you can't stand that. It makes you feel so powerless and weak, boo hoo, mommeee. But guess what? It's true in your case. You ARE powerless and impotently weak. That is the only thing that comes through so strong and clear in your posts. The ONLY thing mind you. I guess you never realised that. The problem isn't WHAT you say my little bozo, but WHY you say what you do.
But it doesn't have to be that way you know. You see, Steve Jobs knows a bozo when he sees one and he is a good man and so the folks at Apple love you too and made sure there's an app for your condition. Errr WTF is it called now? Hmmm. Oh yeah, it's called 'Get a life sucker.' I think it's free for people like you, with TIBS..... That's Terminal Impotence Bitterness Syndrome but hey, why am I telling you that? You knew that already. Eeesh!
I can think of no other company which, having decided to lower its prices so significantly, so soon after a new product release, also gives enough of a damn to lessen any feeling of buyer's remorse among its customers by swiftly offering a gift in recompense. No one asked for or even expected that, my little bozo. There was no commercial reason to do it either. What would have been better IYO my little bozo? Perhaps you would have liked them to go on charging the old, higher, price for as long as they thought they could get away with it? I mean, who (outside Apple) knew it was over-priced? No one. So you got the wrong company dummy. That is why you are my little bozo. You're good at getting things bass-ackwards. You see, your loser friends at MS and GOOG would have cheerfully done that to you and just laughed at their shit on your face and moved on without a thought for your feelings. Hilarious really and you would deserve that. Hilarious really and you would enjoy that too. Hilarious. Just like your TIBS values and principles.
Now do what you do best. Go away and play with yourself whydontcha? You know it's the only thing that makes you feel better nowadays.
Fool of a fool. Really.
It's a kindness I am doing to you, telling you that. I'm giving you pearls here kid. Because there is a cure at the App Store. But you have to take that first step es. On your ownsome es. No one can do that but you my little bozo. I know you find it scary but you gotta try to fix that screwed up UI of yours.
You'll feel better. Promise.
You can dump the tablets afterwards. Promise.
You'll even smile sometimes. Promise.
So do it. You never know. You could even grow some of your own and become........a contender.
Oh boy. Imagine that.

As you can see, I have spent some time trying to help you. But only you can go to the App Store and start to feel better.

ChandraC
post #87 of 189
10 gazillion flies eat shit daily. Does that mean it's a good idea, my little bozo?

Chandra C
post #88 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I emerged cause besides Quadra I'm the only other Apple evangelist in these forums and I'm proud of that.

To give you some little insight about how much I love apple.

When I create a document in iWork, I NEVER SEND IT TO A NON MAC USER IN A WORD FORMAT, I will send it in PDF or RTF before my cursor even hovers over that sorry excuse for a word processor.

In the past when I went to a site that required IE or Firefox, I simply wrote the site off and decided to find other means to get work done.

If it's not owned by Apple, I don't want it near me in my Apple enviornment.

With the exception of Adobe (but if Aperture X, Gives a better alternative to Adobe, then I will be glad to kiss that POC adobe good bye)

I'm probably more die hard Apple then Quadra now that I think of it. Though he is a Apple Cultist... I put God/jesus first and then Steve Jobs/Apple

dude i also stand with you
no msft code in my macs
zippo
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #89 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But YOU become the sucker.

Aren't you and he quick enough to understand the implications of what you've said? Its a self fulfilling prophecy.

If people don't buy the product just because it's a first gen model, how can you tell if it's good? You can't, because no one's bought it.

When it goes from the market, it's not because it was bad, but because it didn't sell, due to a misconceived concept of no one buying the first model.

Ridiculous!

times have changed ole gtan poo bah

these days pro0ducts like the cracked screen PRE are rushed to market
making early buyers at great risk of being f..ed . the 3 rd cycle is 60 percent cheaper and works 3x better
in the past it was only S W that was a risk to use at the start ,
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #90 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I suspect, having some experience with company boards, that all was not well for some time, but that politics intervened.

I also suspect the concept that Google wasn't interested in having anything to do with phones was expressed by him more than once to the board, until that position became untenable.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find that he knew far more about Apple's plans than many think. The fact that he recused himself from meetings is almost irrelevant. At that level, he had other ways of finding out, and just speaking to board members in an informal way, information would slip out.

I believe that Google had all of this in mind a long while ago.

As soon as it became obvious that people were bypassing Google's search engine on their iPhones and Touches, and getting information directly through their apps, Google became worried. The handwriting was on the wall.

No Google search, no Ad dollars flowing Google's way. The only real way Google makes money is through sponsored search, and Ads.

No search, no Google!

With Android, Google controls Ad space. That's why they bought AdMob out from Apple's offer, and why Apple bought the competition.

The difference is that Google bought them to get Ads for themselves, to make money from it. Apple bought theirs to get Ads for their developers, so that THEY could make some money from it (and perhaps Apple would get their 30% cut, thus paying for the service).

So yes, I do think he was abusing his position. I've seen it before.

welcome back dude
great insight
you was sorley missed here


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #91 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Try the ignore function, it works great for me and for times you don't feel like killing/feeding trolls.

oddly enough i think he truly thinks he is right in his mac tripper like spouts

i mean if i say black he says white
weird


happy new year
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #92 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's a very good post. You're right about all that. Perhaps Apple will make a search engine to rival Google with their data center acquisition and maps + admob purchase. The problem with being too open is that the people who so desperately want to exploit it are spammers and they would try to find loopholes in any open algorithms and could invade privacy.

It's tough to know the right way to do things so that it has the most benefit:

Open source OS like Android means open development, low cost, flexibility, competition driving prices down for consumers but it fragments support - not all android apps run on all android devices and what we have here with multiple manufacturers passing the buck - and competition can lower prices to the point of there being little to no profit.

Open search means businesses don't feel that one company has got a significant level of control over possibly their main revenue stream, which is good but it will also mean it gets exploited by spammers and people who don't deserve high rankings, which can affect legitimate businesses even worse.

I think the most important thing is to always feel in control as a consumer. Google's method makes me feel better as a consumer. Open network provider choices, open software market yet still a good phone. Closed search still lets me find what I want even though the amounts of ads everywhere online now is irritating.

With open source search, there would probably still be ads to support the traffic so not much benefit. With Apple's business model, the consumer is restricted to chosen networks and permitted apps, supported media formats etc. That makes me feel constrained as a consumer.

I don't like spending £700+ for a device and expect to have to pay Apple £60 per year to toy around with it for development and be locked to one carrier when others are cheaper. I don't like not being able to install apps I want on that device like filesystem browsers and use the device for portable storage or sync it with both work and home computers.

It's still very true though that the Nexus One is just an example of being open in one area while protecting the main revenue from a closed system somewhere else, which is the same business model as Apple (open source webkit etc). Companies like Microsoft have ridiculed Apple for that business model saying it can't last but that has to apply to even their own business model. I guess only time will tell.


maybe apple will out souse a basic bare bones search engine
you speak of un faitness om the search market place .
well i run my biz of selling gemstones and i am crushed by liars spammers and large companies taking up the top 5 spots with false promised ads
ebay is the same story
it is a jungle out there
i still have still cheaper better cut gems than most
how can i get the word out ??

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #93 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Nothing is wrong with standing in line. What wrong is anyone that knows anything about technology knows early adopters are fools that like to give away their money. Its very hard to argue that point in this case seeing the 4gb iPhone was dropped soon afterwards and the 8gb iPhone had a 200.00 price drop.

iPhone 3Gs users paid 199.00 compared to 599.00 for a phone that is far superior compared to the gen1 model. And the only downside is they weren't the first on their block to have an iPhone.

When it comes to technology any early adopter might as well have sucker stamped on their forehead.

Welcome to the real world. The fact is tomorrow products are always better than todays products whether they are 1st generation or not. Next July when Apple releases the 4th generation iPhone you will say that those who bought the 3GS are fools because they didn't wait for the 4th generation, which we all know will offer at least more capacity and faster speeds for the same price.

If you are going to hold off buying because you are worried that something better and possibly cheaper will come out in the future then you will never buy a thing in your life. People who bought the first iPhone, including myself, bought it because it was the best smartphone at that time and did what we wanted and more. By the way, Edge might seem slow now (3 years later) but so will 3G when 4G starts rolling out.

I guess you think that those who bought a Mac a year ago are fools because they didn't wait until now to buy the newer ones with better specs for the same price or maybe those who bought their cars few years back didn't wait until now for better looking cars with improved performance and safety
post #94 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did you know RTF was invented by Microsoft?

I don't believe but its true and at least this is something they developed and not stole code from (hint Word)


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If you don't want it, you don't have to use it. How do you know that Steve doesn't want it, anyway? I highly doubt you know much about what Mr. Jobs wants, judging by your tacky rainbow signature, I doubt you're channeling him very well.

Apple could have made their own rendering engine and made it proprietary rather than collaborate publicly. Instead, they used an open source browser. I recall Google made a Javascript engine for their own browser, and other things that other browsers didn't do yet. Which is part of the idea of the open source ideal, building on existing work rather than reinvent the entire wheel every time.

The reason why Steve doesn't really like chrome is because it doesn't integrate well with OS X. Safari is a Cocoa written Application also thats why it runs GREAT on the Mac. Along with that, Apple can tailor the app accordingly (Thats why having a well intergraded Apple ecosystem benefits users and Pros IMO)

Look Google will be perfectly okay if it sticks to its game plan which is to become dominant on the Windows Platform. Don't step on this cats (meaning Apple's OS X names) territory or you'll get bit. It's nice for people like yourself or others who want to hop on the "chrome is going to be way better then safari, yada yada yada " bandwagon, that's okay. End the end you'll be back on Apple and Steves feet giving them credit again and praising safari.

Also Steve is a business man, he won't publicly say what I said, but behind close doors or with close friends, I'm sure we share the same view.

Oh and BTW the remark about my signature was pretty low, coming from a "moderator"
I expect such comments from a member not a moderator.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #95 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


When launching the iPhone, Apple staunchly insisted that AT&T and other carrier partners allow it to handle much of the customer support itself, which helped to head off the problem of users being passed back and forth between the hardware vendor, the carrier, and the software developer.

This paragraph is positively not true.
post #96 of 189
Google is going to learn a lesson in customer service over this one.

If you brand something as yours, expect to shell out the big bucks for a call center and don't expect people to surf the web to fix the phone they just bought from you!

Sure they can had it over to the carrier or HTC or whoever isn't Google, but if the device has Google's name on it, as a consumer, the expectation is Google will support it.

BUT, nobody ever accused Google of trying to enter the consumer market with this device. Everyone already knew this device was for for hardcore geeks who look at specs as opposed to a whole experience. So the geeks got their phone, and now the consumers have learned not to trust Google until they can get their act up to speed and give a damn about the consumer - who is usually stupid when compared to a geek.

Lesson learned, Google. Now go out there and hire some phone support people!
post #97 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I don't believe but its true and at least this is something they developed and not stole code from (hint Word)




The reason why Steve doesn't really like chrome is because it doesn't integrate well with OS X. Safari is a Cocoa written Application also thats why it runs GREAT on the Mac. Along with that, Apple can tailor the app accordingly (Thats why having a well intergraded Apple ecosystem benefits users and Pros IMO)

Look Google will be perfectly okay if it sticks to its game plan which is to become dominant on the Windows Platform. Don't step on this cats (meaning Apple's OS X names) territory or you'll get bit. It's nice for people like yourself or others who want to hop on the "chrome is going to be way better then safari, yada yada yada " bandwagon, that's okay. End the end you'll be back on Apple and Steves feet giving them credit again and praising safari.

Also Steve is a business man, he won't publicly say what I said, but behind close doors or with close friends, I'm sure we share the same view.

Oh and BTW the remark about my signature was pretty low, coming from a "moderator"
I expect such comments from a member not a moderator.

i love your sig
can i use it ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #98 of 189
A few questions:

1. Who the hell are these people who already bought the stupid Google Phone? (GEEKS)

2. How are these (GEEKS) not able to use the damn thing?

3. Who needs/wants phone support in 2010? IMO, Expecting someone over the phone to solve your problems immediately is arrogant and archaic. You're not important just because you had $179 in your checking account before opening up Google.com the other day.
post #99 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They're actually trying to sell a phone with email support only? That beggars belief.

I applaud it. Every whiney pissant American that need support yesterday who will sit on hold longer than it would take to search for their answers, should be a taught their place.

Customer Service, or what is has become today, is an absolute joke. And Customer Service practices of Fortune 500 companies are Anti-Competitive practices.

This is what companies like Amazon and other large online retailers have bred:

"Hello, this is customer service."

"Waaa!!!"

"Would you like a refund and few extra things for free?"

"Waaaa!!!!!!!!!"

"Well we're trying but the soonest we can get it there would be yesterday."

"Waaaaaaaaaa!!!"

"Thank you very much for your business, is there anything else I can give you today?"
post #100 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I read it. I just didn't want to call you foolish for standing in line to pay an extra 200.00 only to get 50% of your money back. Which really isn't 50% because you had to give it back to Apple anyways. Hope your money management skills have improved since then.

You seem to think that anyone who doesn't always wait for something to become cheaper is a fool who needs his meds checked.

But tech prices are always coming down, ALWAYS. You can ALWAYS wait for prices to come down.

The time you get to spend actually USING the device while others are waiting for the price drop is actually worth something to some people. It sure was to me.

And you know what? EDGE is a lot faster than NO internet, as a friend of mine said.

Enjoy waiting for things to be cheaper. I'll enjoy using tech I love.

Also, a personal question extremeskater -- you seem really upset about this, and your coming across as a real jerk in your comments. What's up with that?
post #101 of 189
I think the real loser here is Tmobile. Its my understanding that they have great customer service. Hate to see that take a hit due to Google's inexperience in product support.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
post #102 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not only about the money. Its about buying a product that has never been tested. Early adopters not only pay the highest price they are also the ones that deal with the most headaches.

This isn't about Apple this has to do with all technology. Leaving Apple out of this lets take the early Nexus One adopters. They will pay the highest price for the phone, on the worst network (TMobile) and they will deal with all the bugs and the customer service learning curve.

When it comes to all technology the early adopters that have to be the first on the block to have the product pay all the costs of bring the new technology to the market and they get a gen1 product that almosts always improves with time.

Its not that you wait forever or never buy anything its that you wait for the price to become reasonable and the bugs to be worked out.

And whose opinion should I wait for? Yours? No thanx.

I'll buy what I want, when I want, and I'll be the judge of whether or not it was a "good purchase" for myself.

unreal
post #103 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I applaud it. Every whiney pissant American that need support yesterday who will sit on hold longer than it would take to search for their answers, should be a taught their place.

Customer Service, or what is has become today, is an absolute joke. And Customer Service practices of Fortune 500 companies are Anti-Competitive practices.

This is what companies like Amazon and other large online retailers have bred:

"Hello, this is customer service."

"Waaa!!!"

"Would you like a refund and few extra things for free?"

"Waaaa!!!!!!!!!"

"Well we're trying but the soonest we can get it there would be yesterday."

"Waaaaaaaaaa!!!"

"Thank you very much for your business, is there anything else I can give you today?"

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue that the problem with customer service is that it's too accommodating and pandering. Or that the antidote is a good dose of "we'll help you when we get around to it, take this time to contemplate your sense of entitlement."

My experience is that most customer service is designed first to keep you away from any people at all, second to only let you talk to people who work form scripts and probably can't help you, and only as a last resort and contingent on the customer getting a little hysterical allowing escalation to someone who knows or can do anything.

That's most; there are of course exceptions, generally somewhat upscale retailers or specialized like Apple. In the case of Google, email only support for selling pricy consumer electronics is not good.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #104 of 189
I wouldn't call them foolish for waiting in line and being an early adopter [some people just like to have the cool stuff first]. I, however, would call them cry babies for whining about the price decrease months later.


Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Nothing is wrong with standing in line. What wrong is anyone that knows anything about technology knows early adopters are fools that like to give away their money. Its very hard to argue that point in this case seeing the 4gb iPhone was dropped soon afterwards and the 8gb iPhone had a 200.00 price drop.

iPhone 3Gs users paid 199.00 compared to 599.00 for a phone that is far superior compared to the gen1 model. And the only downside is they weren't the first on their block to have an iPhone.

When it comes to technology any early adopter might as well have sucker stamped on their forehead.
post #105 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue that the problem with customer service is that it's too accommodating and pandering. Or that the antidote is a good dose of "we'll help you when we get around to it, take this time to contemplate your sense of entitlement."

My experience is that most customer service is designed first to keep you away from any people at all, second to only let you talk to people who work form scripts and probably can't help you, and only as a last resort and contingent on the customer getting a little hysterical allowing escalation to someone who knows or can do anything.

That's most; there are of course exceptions, generally somewhat upscale retailers or specialized like Apple. In the case of Google, email only support for selling pricy consumer electronics is not good.

Obviously you don't own a business. Trying to provide the type of customer service that e-commerce hounds have gotten used to is near impossible.

You, just like every other consumer out there, have been spoiled by this over-the-top customer service. To the point where you think its insulting when you have to go through a myriad of keypad navigation before getting to talk to someone. It doesn't matter that your issue is no more or less important than any of the other few million people who bought the same product and manage to use it without calling and screaming at a minimum wage employee. It doesn't matter that the purpose of Contact Us form is to provide a concise way (for the business) to organize and respond to issues.

None of that matters. What matters to you is that you want what you want right now, without any care on how its accomplished. Whether its your fault, or not your fault. Fix me fix me! Give me stuff because I had to wait 5 minutes for you to call me back! That's 5 minutes with my product that I can never get back!

Fact: If people weren't impatient, rude, and flat out stupid, retailers would not need babysitters as customer service reps, they could have a few well-trained individuals.
post #106 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Nothing is wrong with standing in line. What wrong is anyone that knows anything about technology knows early adopters are fools that like to give away their money. Its very hard to argue that point in this case seeing the 4gb iPhone was dropped soon afterwards and the 8gb iPhone had a 200.00 price drop.

iPhone 3Gs users paid 199.00 compared to 599.00 for a phone that is far superior compared to the gen1 model. And the only downside is they weren't the first on their block to have an iPhone.

When it comes to technology any early adopter might as well have sucker stamped on their forehead.

You are not really smart are you. You clearly think this Google phone with not support is worth more $550 without a contract. Even though you will need one from someone. I bought the first Iphone and had I not fried it by hooking up an unsupported charger it would not have died in march of last year. Every year the phone gained so many new features that I couldn't justify the upgrade. From apps to location services. That initial investment continued to improve while other companies just make your phone obsolete when the new one arrives. Look at google, they are doing it already with phones not supporting the new software.
post #107 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Obviously you don't own a business. Trying to provide the type of customer service that e-commerce hounds have gotten used to is near impossible.

You, just like every other consumer out there, have been spoiled by this over-the-top customer service. To the point where you think its insulting when you have to go through a myriad of keypad navigation before getting to talk to someone. It doesn't matter that your issue is no more or less important than any of the other few million people who bought the same product and manage to use it without calling and screaming at a minimum wage employee. It doesn't matter that the purpose of Contact Us form is to provide a concise way (for the business) to organize and respond to issues.

None of that matters. What matters to you is that you want what you want right now, without any care on how its accomplished. Whether its your fault, or not your fault. Fix me fix me! Give me stuff because I had to wait 5 minutes for you to call me back! That's 5 minutes with my product that I can never get back!

Fact: If people weren't impatient, rude, and flat out stupid, retailers would not need babysitters as customer service reps, they could have a few well-trained individuals.

I have owned a business and you attitude is why I don't do business with certain companies. When the owners have your attitude the employees are even worse and people tend to get pissed off when they spend their money and then the attitude is its your problem now. You give businesses a bad name. Its companies like Apple and Disney that I look to be more like. Mcdonalds service suffers because of the quality of management and crew is lacking. It was not alway this way. The company standards are extremely high so what you experience is about 70% of the goal. If it starts where you are 70% of that is a nightmare.
post #108 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your argument only makes sense if it could be shown that people KNEW, from the beginning, that Apple would lower the price down the road. As no one knew that, likely not even Apple, your argument is invalid.

The argument is ridiculous either way, since it's so well known that better and cheaper technology always comes along. The only course a "wise" consumer can take is to bang rocks together. Nobody will ever improve on that, or make it less expensive.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #109 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Welcome to the real world. The fact is tomorrow products are always better than todays products whether they are 1st generation or not. Next July when Apple releases the 4th generation iPhone you will say that those who bought the 3GS are fools because they didn't wait for the 4th generation, which we all know will offer at least more capacity and faster speeds for the same price.

If you are going to hold off buying because you are worried that something better and possibly cheaper will come out in the future then you will never buy a thing in your life. People who bought the first iPhone, including myself, bought it because it was the best smartphone at that time and did what we wanted and more. By the way, Edge might seem slow now (3 years later) but so will 3G when 4G starts rolling out.

I guess you think that those who bought a Mac a year ago are fools because they didn't wait until now to buy the newer ones with better specs for the same price or maybe those who bought their cars few years back didn't wait until now for better looking cars with improved performance and safety

Spot on. But why bother with logic and facts.....

As an aside, the first gen 8GB iPhone on eBay goes for ~$250 (I have no intention to sell mine -- it's a beauty). In comparison, the 3GS 16GB goes for ~$200.

Must be a lot of fools out there!
post #110 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The argument is ridiculous either way, since it's so well known that better and cheaper technology always comes along. ......

Not quite. You're ignoring the other side of the coin, the utility that one derives from consuming/using the product (relative to price paid).
post #111 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

From what I heard from Nexus's announcement I got the impression that HTC would do all the hardware support, while Google would handle the software.

Even if this impression were true, don't you see the problem with it?

When symptoms appear it is frequently not obvious whether the underlying problem is related to hardware or software. So during the initial stages while the diagnosis is being made, WHO is responsible for investigating the cause? This situation often lends itself to the hardware people punting by saying "I've never heard of that issue, it must be a software problem", and the software people, of course, saying the reverse.

Somebody needs to be the go-to entity in charge of support. Obviously, Apple has realized this for years, which is why they tend to design as much of their systems as they can. If they're going to support it, they might as well be experts in all aspects of the product.

Thompson
post #112 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

bla bla bla

yeah you are simply a jerk.
c'mon, back on the topic please....
post #113 of 189
Here is my thought about early adopters:

1. If you have the money to buy the new technology and you don't care about spending because you are well enough, then you are not a fool.In fact you gain a lot of things from being an early adopter, and most of the gains are helpful to yourself and to others for as long as you share it.

2. If you have an immediate need of the features of the new technology and you have enough budget to spend for it, then being an early adopter is not being a fool...because you have a damn immediate need for that and most probably on the business side of it.

3. If you have enough money, but don't have an immediate need but probably just a want of a new tech gadget, it is wise to wait a little while for the price to drop and wait for a better and enhanced stable version of the new gadget. You are not a Fool.

4. If you are in need of a new high tech gadget but don't have enough budget for the high price... Then, from your decision lies the reason wether you are a fool or not. But then, either the budget or the need can be compromised.

I hope someone can correct me where I am wrong..Thanks guys...
post #114 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I wanted to quote someone in the Appleinsider thread then the 8GB iPhone dropped 200.00

I will give you one guess who it is.

"Notwithstanding the fact that a 33% price drop in a two-month period is draconian"


"That said, I do feel badly for those who could not afford this easily, and probably were able to buy one only because they saved every hard-earned penny. Another category of early adopters is the really well-off who don't like to feel shafted. It makes no sense for Apple to p*$$ off either group."

Draconian? Does that mean unusually severe or cruel. Someone is using big words again.....

This one last post to respond to you -- I've tried to not get into a mud-slinging match -- and then back to topic.

You apparently do not just selectively read, but also selectively quote. Go back and paraphrase the main points I made in that thread (which are essentially the same as what I've said here) instead of selectively quoting. Indeed, the word 'Notwithstanding...' you quote me as writing, in case you do not get it, is a thought connective from a previous set of thoughts in that thread. Care to point out what they are, instead by simply coming off as intellectually dishonest?

More important, you may also have a selective hearing problem, when it comes to how people perceive you. Let me help you with just a few examples (actual quotes):

"Please make your point without being a jerk...."

"At this point, your just been nasty, no education or point of view is left in your posts in this thread."

"I've read your posts over some weeks now and I'm worried about you kid. You really mustn't skip taking the tablets. "

"You are not really smart are you."

"Also, a personal question extremeskater -- you seem really upset about this, and your coming across as a real jerk in your comments. What's up with that?"

"Welcome to the real world."

"You are not really smart are you."

Need I go on?
post #115 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppers View Post

Here is my thought about early adopters:

1. If you have the money to buy the new technology and you don't care about spending because you are well enough, then you are not a fool.In fact you gain a lot of things from being an early adopter, and most of the gains are helpful to yourself and to others for as long as you share it.

2. If you have an immediate need of the features of the new technology and you have enough budget to spend for it, then being an early adopter is not being a fool...because you have a damn immediate need for that and most probably on the business side of it.

3. If you have enough money, but don't have an immediate need but probably just a want of a new tech gadget, it is wise to wait a little while for the price to drop and wait for a better and enhanced stable version of the new gadget. You are not a Fool.

4. If you are in need of a new high tech gadget but don't have enough budget for the high price... Then, from your decision lies the reason wether you are a fool or not. But then, either the budget or the need can be compromised.

I hope someone can correct me where I am wrong..Thanks guys...

Couldn't agree more. It's about as simple as that. Incidentally, some people also purchase early technologies as keepsakes, or as objects that may gain value over time, or simply to sell later in the secondary market to finance the purchase of the next gen.
post #116 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not quite. You're ignoring the other side of the coin, the utility that one derives from consuming/using the product (relative to price paid).

I'm not ignoring anything, I just haven't mentioned this, since I was arguing against the basic premise that early adopters get screwed by definition. You could make that argument for anyone who buys any technology product on any given day, since something better/faster/cheaper will no doubt be available tomorrow, next week, or next month. The only available "solution" is to never buy anything, ever.

So the argument is fundamentally ludicrous.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #117 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What wrong is anyone that knows anything about technology knows early adopters are fools that like to give away their money. Its very hard to argue that point in this case seeing the 4gb iPhone was dropped soon afterwards and the 8gb iPhone had a 200.00 price drop.

That's just rubbish. It's sound to me like you're just envious you can't afford to be an early adopter and are trying to justify that to yourself by claiming that those who can and do are fools!

Pretty much everything get's cheaper once it's no longer new. People who buy things when they're new and expensive know that, but choose to proceed anyway. That doesn't make them stupid.

Do you buy DVDs (or watch films on pay per view)? Guess what. You can save 50% or more of the cost if you're willing to wait a year from when they're first released. Wait long enough and they'll be free on terrestrial TV or given away with your Sunday paper. So what? You pays your money and makes your choice.

There are lots of reasons why you might choose to be an early adopter, knowing full well what you're buying will be cheaper in 6 months' time. The product might be exactly what you've been waiting for and you don't want to wait 6 months. Perhaps you have a keen interest in technology and want to learn about and understand what's new. Perhaps you just want to go around and show off how much money you've got. If that's stupid, it's no more or less stupid than people who buy designer clothes or flash cars, say. No one is forced into it though.
post #118 of 189
OK, so being an early adopter of new tech means you run the risk of paying more, or being subject to hardware or software glitches.

What does that have to do, again, with Google not having a robust customer service infra-structure? Are people supposed to wait while Google changes its corporate identity before buying hardware directly from them, in order to not be "fools"?

I'm trying to figure out why Extremeskater is making such a strenuous case for never buying anything from Google, ever.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #119 of 189
Don't you just love the smell of fresh blood in the morning?
post #120 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can't wait for "Hi, I'm a Google, I am an Apple..." ads!

I would not put it past Apple to do this, I think it will be hilarious. I like Google as my search engine but I don't think I am going to stray from Apple.

The iPhone is the first phone I have had longer than 6 months and I am sticking by it. And I love my iMac, macBookpro, airport, .....

JD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google struggling to support angry Nexus One buyers