or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

post #1 of 235
Thread Starter 
Google has taken the fate of its Android smartphone platform into its own hands by promoting and directly marketing HTC's latest new Android phone under its own brand. How does the new "superphone" stack up to last summer's iPhone 3GS?

AppleInsider has presented a series of articles on how Android stacks up against Apple's iPhone OS as a platform in general terms. In this article, we'll consider the hardware specifics of the latest offering from Google's partner.

Meet your maker

While the tech press likes to say Google designed the Nexus One "with HTC," Google executives clearly gave all the credit to HTC at its introduction, saying "Its inaccurate to say Google designed the phone. Peter [Chou] and his team [at HTC] built and designed the phone. Google is just marketing and selling the phone."

The phone is nearly identical to what HTC itself sells under the name Bravo in Europe, apart from the placement of its buttons. Google's impact on the Nexus One's specs is far less significant than even Microsoft's original Zune, which while being based on the Toshiba Gigabeat, was at least given a design update and noticeably different software that rendered it incompatible with other PlaysforSure MP3 players. In contrast, the Nexus One is very clearly a Google-branded HTC phone, and there are no intentional, artificial compatibility barriers with other Android platform devices.

HTC has a history of building higher-end PDA-style phones, often with physical keyboards, large screens, and envelope pushing hardware features. Most of its phones have been designed to run Microsoft's Windows Mobile, and are therefore targeted at that platform's core market of IT staff and gadget enthusiasts. HTC has served as Microsoft's primary licensee, building 80% of the Windows Mobile phones to reach the market (although many of these were sold under different brand names, just as Google is now doing with the Nexus One).

The company also built previous generations of PDA-style phones sold by Palm, prior to the debut of the new WebOS-based Pre. But HTC's history as the leading maker of Windows Mobile phones is what positioned it to be the first major manufacture to launch an Android phone, because Google targeted its relatively new Android operating system at hardware reference designs running Windows Mobile, in much the same way that popular desktop distributions of Linux are geared to run on Microsoft's reference design for Windows PCs.

Magic, Dream, Hero, Passion

Google launched Android 1.0 in October 2008 with HTC's Dream (sold as the T-Mobile G1), then followed up with HTC's second generation Magic (the T-Mobile myTouch) last summer, and then the HTC Hero (also sold with slight modifications as the Verizon Droid Eris) last fall. It's therefore nothing out of the ordinary that the newly released Nexus One running Android 2.1 is also being sold under other HTC names in other markets.



Unike earlier HTC models, the new Nexus One does not pair the stock Android OS with HTC's "Sense UI," a user interface theme HTC added to the stock Android both to differentiate its offerings and to solve some rough edges in the Android interface, such as the look of its virtual keyboard. HTC also applies Sense to its Windows Mobile phones which makes HTC's Android phones look and feel more similar to the company's other products than to those of other Android makers, including Motorola's Verizon Droid and the upcoming Sony Ericsson Xperia X10.

Overall, this fractionalization has resulted in making the Android platform less similar to commodity Windows PCs and more like PlaysForSure devices in terms of being unique to their manufacturer rather than offering a largely identical experience between vendors. With Android 2.1 however, Google seems to be signaling the intention to fold in many of HTC's Sense improvements into the standard OS, which should help streamline the platform at the expense of HTC's differentiation.

The Android balancing act

It remains to be seen whether Google will continue to work to neutralize the differentiation efforts of its partners in order to strengthen the Android brand, or whether it will continue to encourage vendors to create their own look and feel independently, as Motorola did with Blur and Sony Ericsson is expected to do with its upcoming phone.

On the other hand, it is in HTC's interests to create reasons for customers to pick its phones over those of other competitors. The company already advertises its Android and Windows Mobile devices under the same ad campaign, direction attention to its own brand rather than to either licensed operating system. Further, at CES the company unveiled a new initiative to release a series of lower-end smartphones based on BREW, Qualcomm's proprietary alternative to Java.

That indicates that despite its shift from Windows Mobile, HTC isn't betting its future on Android. Additionally, it shows that Android itself doesn't do enough to allow phone makers to hit low price points. Successful Android phones require a fast processor and significant RAM and other system resources to be taken seriously.

Finding one operating system to span from the bargain bin to the high end has similarly been a challenge for Nokia, which uses its own simple Nokia OS, the more sophisticated Symbian, a full distro of Maemo Linux in its Internet Tablets, and Windows on its netbook. Samsung has also announced plans to juggle Windows Mobile, Android, and its own Bada platform. Most other makers also have a variety of operating systems, leaving Apple, RIM, and Palm unique in pushing one single OS.

Motorola has announced an intention do to this with Android, but is already facing a rather direct blow from Google and its new branding partnership with HTC. On the other side, Google is also planning to add its new Chrome OS into the mix as a way to enter the significantly different netbook market, which will splinter efforts by its current licensees who already have Android netbooks and tablets under development.

The company has also announced a clear intention to turn its hardware partners into commodity manufacturers, leaving Google with control of all the value across their products, much as Microsoft did to PC makers in the 90s. This is all a precarious balancing act challenge Apple doesn't face.

Android super-Hero

Unlike most of its Windows Mobile phones, which nearly always supply a physical keyboard, HTC's Nexus One builds upon the previous Hero/Droid Eris form factor to deliver something that's closer to the iPhone, but which still supplies a trackball pointer rather than relying on ubiquitous multitouch for navigation. The result is a something of a middle ground between the gadgety PC experience of Windows Mobile and the slick and refined appliance experience Apple provides.

In many ways, the Nexus One is HTC's answer to the Motorola Verizon Droid, which stole the spotlight this winter as Google focused on it and left HTC's Hero (Verizon Droid Eris) to serve as a runner up to be given away for free with Droid purchases. HTC's Hero was also relegated to running an older version of the Android OS, as Google launched Android 2.0 on the Droid exclusively.

As with the Droid, the Nexus One's hybrid design of being an iPhone-like touchscreen but still sporting a Windows Mobile-like array of touch sensitive buttons and a physical trackball results in the problem of making it easy to inadvertently fall back to the home screen while attempting to type. "we found ourselves consistently accidentally tapping them while composing an email or text message," Engadget complained. That review also said the unit's "[trackball] placement feels a bit awkward here, and there's literally nothing in the OS that requires it." In contrast, the iPhone 3GS uses a recessed home button that is difficult to hit accidentally.

The Nexus One now brings the Android 2.x platform to HTC's product lineup, although existing Hero/Droid Eris users will have to wait as long as this summer before they can obtain the latest update from their mobile provider. Apple regularly releases updates that all iPhone users can install as soon as they become available. Again, the layers of differentiation that Android partners are adding (like HTC's Sense, Motorola's Blur, and support for unique hardware) tend to complicate and slow the propagation of Android updates for users.

New Features

The Nexus One carries forward the basic iPhone-like design of the earlier Magic and Hero, adding a suite of new features such as a fast new processor, noise canceling audio, a better camera supporting 720p HD capture and playback initial reviewers have noted that HTC's camera works much better than the Droid's, which was plagued by focusing issues), a higher resolution screen, and a new OLED display like the Zune HD.

The display resolution of the Nexus One now almost matches the Droid, although it does so using an OLED screen. This may be why it uses a 480x800 resolution rather than the Droid's 480x854, adding some extra complication for Android developers who now have three different popular resolutions to account for on the platform (earlier models use the same 320x480 resolution of the iPhone).

As we noted in regard to the Zune HD, OLED technology results in a screen that promises to save power and which looks exceptional in low light. However, reviewers have actually reported that, like the Zune HD, the Nexus One's screen is terrible to the point of unusable in bright light, with Engadget writing, "Oh, and using this thing in daylight? Forget about it. Like most screens of this type, the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around, and snapping photos with it on a sunny day was like taking shots with your eyes closed."

At the same time, Michael Arrington of TechCrunch, who has been using the phone for weeks, complained that he "found battery life to be woefully brief," and that users should "be prepared to keep this phone near a charger at all times," regardless of its rated battery life and the energy saving potential of its new display.

Google's Zune

In addition to OLED, the Nexus One also shares other engineering choices with the Zune. Unlike the iPhone and the iPods before it, which are all designed to power down the screen as quickly as possible the moment you stop interacting with it, the Nexus One debuts Zune-like flashy effects that assume you'll be staring at the screen even while listening to music. These include new interactive graphic background effects and music visualizers which require the screen to be on in order to notice them, an engineering decision that, like Microsoft's Zune, indicates more interest in delivering Vista-like sizzle than the practical, functional utility that Apple trends toward.

For Apple's products, anything that distracts from core features or doesn't add tangible value is a potential casualty. The company canned the latent audio recording features on the first iPods and initially delivered a simple black and white screen. The iPhone's user interface is rich with animation effects, but they are all targeted at enhancing its navigation and overall feel, not to decorate the screen with superfluous candy.

There are also more practical features the Nexus One holds over last summer's iPhone 3GS: the camera has an LED flash, which is handy when taking close ups in dim lighting; the camera also has a higher rated resolution, but that isn't necessarily an improvement when you're using a tiny CCD chip, as packing more pixels into a tiny sensor can result in more grain noise and greater file sizes without actually improving the shots you can take. The noise cancellation feature sound promising and valuable, and there's also a novel speech recognition feature designed to serve as an alternative to the virtual keyboard. Engadget called it "marginally successful."

The phone is also faster; it's rated to be significantly faster than the Droid, but only slightly faster then the iPhone 3GS when loading web pages. In JavaScript rendering, the iPhone 3GS actually came out ahead in some tests. One would expect that the very latest Android phone using the most advanced ARM processor available would perform significantly better than last summer's iPhone 3GS and just narrowly better than the Droid.

This indicates that Apple's software provides significant performance optimization, something that last year's Palm Pre also demonstrated. That model used the same chip Apple put in the iPhone 3GS, but failed to achieve the same performance. This does not bode well for competitors once Apple debuts its own optimized ARM cores under development within the company's PA Semi subsidiary.



Missing Features

Despite being almost a year ahead of the iPhone 3GS in an industry where performance and capacity can often double on an annual basis, the Nexus One doesn't do a lot of things Apple's phone did last year. Like the Droid, the Nexus One doesn't do hardware encryption, meaning that most Microsoft Exchange shops will refuse to support either model (unless you can convince your company to downgrade its default security policy). The iPhone 3GS does support Exchange's default policy settings, which require device encryption.

The Android OS also can't handle moving purchased software titles from Android Market into the devices' Flash RAM storage (which on HTC and Motorola devices, like other phones developed for Windows Mobile, is provided primarily on removable SD RAM cards). This results in a significant limitation for developers and for users who want to run sophisticated mobile apps such as games. Google as been aware of this issue for a long time, but only commented that it has plans to address it at some point in the future.

Until that happens, growth of the Android Market will be artificially handicapped as Apple's App Store juggernaut further establishes itself as the best way for developers to make money and for users to find the latest, richest, and most regularly updated games, serious applications, and software-integrated hardware peripherals. Speaking of which, the Nexus One doesn't have anything comparable to the iPhone's Dock Connector, which has given birth to an ecosystem of iPhone and iPod related peripherals. Instead, the Nexus One only provides a mini USB connector.

Microsoft copied Apple in creating its own hybrid connector supplying power, USB, audio, and video signals for the Zune, but also demonstrated how difficult it was to build momentum behind such a standard. Google, partnered with a variety of hardware competitors under Android, neither created a standard hardware connector for Android nor one for its own branded version of the HTC Passion/Bravo. There is a docking mechanism of some sort, but no details on when the dock will be made available and what capabilities it will have in the absence of a hybrid connector.

The iPhone 3GS also supplies a consistent multitouch user interface that is used throughout it bundled apps. Google has only added limited support for this in the Android OS, and apps that can make the most use of "pinch to zoom" type features don't consistently offer it to the user. That includes Google's own web browser, which has become a primary feature of smartphones. The Nexus One also lacks the iPhone 3GS' automatic focus, white balance, and exposure set by the user's touch.

The Network

It's often said that the biggest problem with the iPhone is its association with AT&T, at least in the US. That being the case, it's hard to see how the Nexus One improves upon things by either limiting users to an even less complete network on T-Mobile (which suffers from serious problems both due to its less penetrating higher frequency radio spectrum as well as its much smaller network, primarily concentrated in urban areas) or asking them to revert back to 2007 and forgo 3G service completely to use the phone unlocked on AT&T.

Google promises a Verizon version to follow, but hasn't said when, hinting only that it is likely around the same time Apple is expected to bring the iPhone to CDMA carriers using either a worldmode or separate CDMA chipset. The reason behind this vagueness is likely related to Google's efforts to balance its love between carriers and hardware partners. Users interested in the Nexus One but wanting a Verizon phone are directed to the Droid.

Of course, the iPhone is also limited to working on AT&T or in EDGE-only mode on T-Mobile (if users incur the risks involved with cracking the carrier lock). It remains to be seen whether Google can keep users satisfied with T-Mobile's network and avoid the same criticism Apple gets for partnering with AT&T. If it can, Apple may be more likely to offer a new version of the iPhone that works with both AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G networks.

Reception

When Apple debuted the iPhone 3GS last summer, it all but silenced any talk out the Palm Pre, which up to that point had stoked lots of enthusiastic anticipation. Observers immediately shifted their attention to other potential rivals to the iPhone, and Android began receiving much of that attention. The Hero and then the Droid took turns basking in the Android spotlight last winter, and have now been eclipsed by the Nexus One, with general consensus being that this model is the "Droid-killer."

At the same time, Apple has continued selling its iPhone 3GS, shifting focus only slightly to the complementary iPod touch. Now Apple is stoking hype surrounding its expected Tablet launch, while continuing to sell and promote the same iPhone model. This pattern of Apple conquering new territory with blockbuster releases that occur only once a year while rivals throw handfuls of new models under its tank treads appears to be continuing with Android.

Google appears to be purposely fractionalizing its brand by pitting itself against each of its hardware rivals while also assigning Android credibility to Verizon with the "Droid" brand, and associating "with Google" to anyone who agrees to put its apps on their phone. While the iPhone brand has remained globally famous for going on three years now, Google is making Android an umbrella term that doesn't necessarily mean anything really good or bad while its partners also pick a variety of model names that will only apply to specific markets and or providers.

But the point of a brand is to associate a name with a strong reputation and consistent level of quality. It's not clear how Nexus One will do that for Google, no matter how much success it can generate before Android's attention spotlight shifts to another model. Additionally, by launching the marginally new HTC model with the hubris of "superphone" attached to it, Google risks associating itself with an embarrassing failure that will impede its ability to grab legitimate attention in the future, another similarity it shares with Microsoft's Zune.
post #2 of 235
Wow, i just wasted my time to read that, it wasn't even objective at all. I suppose i shouldnt expect that much from a fansite though where no one has even TOUCHED it

Edit: I owned a Zune HD and its screen was no worse than my Bold or my girlfriends iPhone in daylight. I cant speak for the Nexus One but the Zune HD visibility was fine in broad daylight, and believe me i live in Florida (its snowing right now!) and even MacRumors squashed this awhile ago...

Now its off to bed, ive been up well over 24hours to see a few sprinkles of snow lol
post #3 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Wow, i just wasted my time to read that, it wasn't even objective at all. I suppose i shouldnt expect that much from a fansite though where no one has even TOUCHED it

Edit: I owned a Zune HD and its screen was no worse than my Bold or my girlfriends iPhone in daylight. I cant speak for the Nexus One but the Zune HD visibility was fine in broad daylight, and believe me i live in Florida (its snowing right now!) and even MacRumors squashed this awhile ago...

Now its off to bed, ive been up well over 24hours to see a few sprinkles of snow lol

dude florida is flat right ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #4 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Wow, i just wasted my time to read that, it wasn't even objective at all. I suppose i shouldnt expect that much from a fansite though where no one has even TOUCHED it

Edit: I owned a Zune HD and its screen was no worse than my Bold or my girlfriends iPhone in daylight. I cant speak for the Nexus One but the Zune HD visibility was fine in broad daylight, and believe me i live in Florida (its snowing right now!) and even MacRumors squashed this awhile ago...

Now its off to bed, ive been up well over 24hours to see a few sprinkles of snow lol

I thought it was very objective, and spot on as well (as Prince McLean / Daniel Eran Dilger's articles usually are). seeing as I've tried out every device mentioned in the article except the Zune HD (which isn't available in Europe).

and YES, the HTC device which was rebranded by Google as the Nexus One has been available here for a few weeks.

Why don't you point out the specific parts of the article that aren't true and maybe you'd have a valid point.
post #5 of 235
I guess I've been spoiled by Apple's simple, straight-forward branding strategy; because I think this whole "Droid" thing sucks. First of all, which phone is a "Droid?" Is it the Motorola Droid or a Verizon phone running Android? Is this new Nexus One a "Droid phone" or an "Android phone?" Is the Motorola Droid supposed to be "the" Droid phone or is the Droid Eris also a "Droid phone?"

I think Verizon, HTC, and Motorola really screwed the pooch when they decided to call all their new Android phones "Droid _____." The average consumer - who they're targeting anyway - probably doesn't care, but as they become more aware of mobile OS's they'll have the same question I'm having: is the phone "Droid" or is the OS "Droid?" Is the Google phone a "Droid?"
post #6 of 235
Objective? Oh hell no...but who expects objective at a FAN SITE?

Every time I even think about trading in my iPhone for something else, I realize the pitfalls vastly outnumber the perks. Multi-tasking would be nice, sure - but so is a centralized media sync/store solution with multiple choices for just about any task I can devise.

I have no faith in most other companies to deliver something that operates in a well-designed and coherent way - I just don't. I never bought ANY peripherals for my PC before I switched to Mac because I KNEW there'd be headaches getting it to work.

I can't believe that Apple is the only company that gets the idea of 'simple, powerful'.
post #7 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google has taken the fate of its Android smartphone platform into its own hands by promoting and directly marketing HTC's latest new Android phone under its own brand. How does the new "superphone" stack up to last summer's iPhone 3GS?

AppleInsider has presented a series of articles on how Android stacks up against Apple's iPhone OS as a platform in general terms. In this article, we'll consider the hardware specifics of the latest offering from Google's partner.

Meet your maker


But the point of a brand is to associate a name with a strong reputation and consistent level of quality. It's not clear how Nexus One will do that for Google, no matter how much success it can generate before Android's attention spotlight shifts to another model. Additionally, by launching the marginally new HTC model with the hubris of "superphone" attached to it, Google risks associating itself with an embarrassing failure that will impede its ability to grab legitimate attention in the future, another similarity it shares with Microsoft's Zune.


odd odd article
a mis mash of 1/2 baked themes that abruptly end and go now here else
Yet a calm re write and expanding this article to 4 pages would make a great piece to show us why ,where and how google is out doing MSFT in the asshole dept.

GOOGLE IS VERY SCARED RIGHT NOW

google is a way way over priced one horse monster

Google faces a threat from 2 or 3 million 14 yr. old kids writing code for the FIRST time and seeing this world from a new angle . Just like Skype one day will kill the carriers.

Remember, JD?? trading at $95 a share at its peak ?? well at its meteoric rise was going on and they were laying uncounted miles of un lit fiber and the canadian gov;t them selves said it's a good buy at $60 A share >> Millions of Canucks put their life savings in J D and walked away. Safe in their long term buy .

AT 65 a share a SW code demon warned that his new code would compress fiberoptic data at a 10 to one ratio . NO one blinked . The stock rose to $95 a share . THIS was 10 yrs. ago or more . 10 to 1 means stop laying cable right now . over saturation>>LOOK in those days no one streamed movies >>data was just data
Maybe an odd email with 1 raw pic.They did not stop laying cable .

The market promised that all this fiber would bring us movies on demand and the whole LIB.of congress in 18 minutes . The world has changed now, We are NOW short of lit cable if any is left at all. BUT back then 90 percent of all fiber optic cable remained buried and DARK. To light the cable was expensive back then .,
WHAT caused J. D. UNI to go from 95 to $5 a share . ALSO a dozen other companies were laid to waste over this .
THE HERO OF THIS STORY
the code rider == HE >>> LIED
IT was not 10x to 1 data compression >>it was a 100x to one and then up to 1000x to 1 compression / JD CRASHED
JD STOCK FELL TO 3 BUCKS A SHARE AT ONE POINT wiping out billions of Canuck retirement money among other investors who also lost ,
All that cable was never needed at all back then .

GOOGLE FACES THE SAME THREAT a RICH CODE WRITER CAN KILL OFF GOOGLE THE SAME WAY / rich means A kid that can;t be bought off and who see,s the world in a clear level playing field way .


that is why i am not surprised at their shabby phone deals and ill thought out conflicting market plans
they have one stream of money from one source ./

the market needs 50 small googles who do not bow down to the chinese and help the commies abuse their own people
GOOGLE IS SCARED and has no morals at all

i would sell goog right now
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #8 of 235
"Superphone."

I'm still laughing at that.

Does it come with tights and a red cape?
post #9 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Objective? Oh hell no...but who expects objective at a FAN SITE?

Exactly. You do, however, expect someone to edit the piece before it goes live, right? THAT clearly didn't happen... Seemed like there was a glaring editing oversight just about every other paragraph. It got quite distracting!
post #10 of 235
A review made up entirely from cherry picked, second hand information. Good work.
post #11 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

A review made up entirely from cherry picked, second hand information. Good work.

There is absolutely positively nothing second hand about the limitations of Android, or the ineptitude of Google entering the retail space.

These 2 facets alone would make anyone with common sense avoid the Nexus One like a the plague.
post #12 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There is absolutely positively nothing second hand about the limitations of Android, or the ineptitude of Google entering the retail space.

These 2 facets alone would make anyone with common sense avoid the Nexus One like a the plague.

The iPhone represents a certain standard in the complete User Experience. This includes service and support, which is just as important as what happens from the time the user picks up the device to the time they execute an action on it. Apple pays close attention to both of these factors. If the competition can't live up to Apple's standards in these areas, they've got a big problem. And having a slight edge in raw specs is just not going to cut it.
post #13 of 235
Quote:
Seemed like there was a glaring editing oversight just about every other paragraph. It got quite distracting!

And how much did you pay for your subscription? Um...this is a free site. Caveat Emptor.

I think it was a reasonable summary piece and as objective as you can hope with a site that is based upon an Apple focus.
post #14 of 235
A bit of comic relief (might contain objectionable language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7SzB...t=1263049057.9

Love it!
post #15 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

I guess I've been spoiled by Apple's simple, straight-forward branding strategy; because I think this whole "Droid" thing sucks. First of all, which phone is a "Droid?" Is it the Motorola Droid or a Verizon phone running Android? Is this new Nexus One a "Droid phone" or an "Android phone?" Is the Motorola Droid supposed to be "the" Droid phone or is the Droid Eris also a "Droid phone?"

You sound like you are too easily confused to do anything except to buy the one phone offered by Apple. It is a good thing Apple exists. Their branding strategy comforts you.

For the rest of us, choice is seen as a good thing.
post #16 of 235
Since most folks are stuck under a contract and the phone is only available via T-Mobile, I doubt it will sell in gangbusters. Apple will respond with a new phone in the summer and maybe by then the google phone will be available on Verizon. The launch on T-Mobile to me sounds like neither ATT or Verizon were interested in the device and so they couldn't get subsidized to compete against the Iphone and Droid. If they release the phone on Verizon in the summer it will be an old phone and will have to compete directly with a new Iphone. Good luck.
post #17 of 235
Actually this was a reasonably unbiased article.

There were some small mistakes, like saying android lacks the ability to store app data on the sdcard. This is false. The app it self does need to be stored on the phone but and extra data can be stored on the sdcard.
Example: CoPilot (nav system), All map information is downloaded and stored on the sdcard.
There are many apps like this.

Also saying that there are no major developers developing for Android is a flat out lie.
EA is just one i can think of off the top of my head.
Now he could have said "Less major developers" and i would have not taken issue. but "no major developers" is a lie and misleading.

Other than that, it was a good comparison.

P.S. When ever people say "Lacks multi-touch" i wish they would follow it by "because they are respecting Apple's patent". (no one else does)
post #18 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

P.S. When ever people say "Lacks multi-touch" i wish they would follow it by "because they are respecting Apple's patent". (no one else does)

Good point.
post #19 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

You sound like you are too easily confused to do anything except to buy the one phone offered by Apple. It is a good thing Apple exists. Their branding strategy comforts you.

For the rest of us, choice is seen as a good thing.


Actually unlimited choice is not necessarily good. Have you heard of the idea of the paradox of choice Psychologist Barry Schwartz takes aim at a central tenet of western societies: freedom of choice. In Schwartz's estimation, choice has made us not freer but more paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied.
Video
post #20 of 235
Why come to appleinsider for a review comparing a competitor's product to Apple?

That's like going to Ford.com to review the new Chevy Pickup..
post #21 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post

Actually unlimited choice is not necessarily good. Have you heard of the idea of the paradox of choice Psychologist Barry Schwartz takes aim at a central tenet of western societies: freedom of choice. In Schwartz's estimation, choice has made us not freer but more paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied.
Video

Thank you. I was about to suggest to "Genius" that we all unzip our heads and lay our brains out side by side to see which one had the biggest.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #22 of 235
Very informative and mostly unbiased post, despite what I assume is your obvious preference for the iPhone, but you misspelled the word "supported" in the last row of the matrix comparing the three devices.

Personally, I look forward to information on how Google plans to beef up the UI in future versions of Android (beyond 2.1). You didn't mention that multi-touch is there in the Eris and glossed over why that feature is supported in the OS but not used in apps/interface in 2.1. That was a great note about the trackball getting in the way though.

One thing that I don't think you gave enough weight to is that while the iPhone might be a little more attractive to app developers in some ways (like not having to worry about different screen resolutions), the Google brand and the massive amount of time and effort that they've been putting into their OS will probably pay off in the end because they have an open platform and the number of apps they have will eventually exceed the iPhone's list, even though it won't happen for a few years. How Apple could come back from that is to start running OS X on the iPhone (or possibly the "iSlate mini") and let it just be a small, touchscreen version of the normal "Mac". Of course the latter would mean that OS X app developers would need to program to much lower resolutions than they are used to.
post #23 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A bit of comic relief (might contain objectionable language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7SzB...t=1263049057.9

Love it!

very funny...the urination part...
post #24 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

I thought it was very objective, and spot on as well (as Prince McLean / Daniel Eran Dilger's articles usually are). seeing as I've tried out every device mentioned in the article except the Zune HD (which isn't available in Europe).

and YES, the HTC device which was rebranded by Google as the Nexus One has been available here for a few weeks.

Why don't you point out the specific parts of the article that aren't true and maybe you'd have a valid point.

Well said. To be fair. He did say something about OLED working well in daylight to his credit, but that is just one thing. I don't have personal experience with oled, mostly cause I have a touch and was no intrigued to even check out zune HD. Next time you discredit the whole article though you need a few more points.

I think that Nexus One is just another android device. Maybe it will sell as many units as Moto Droid, but seeing as it is T-Mobile only, which does not have a very big network coverage it might sell even less. So far android is a disappointment, as I expected it to be a SINGLE os for ALL devices. It would not matter what the manufacturer is, as long as it runs android it should be compatible with all the apps and have the same features (hardware permitting, just like iPhone and Touch can run same apps, but without GPS some would not work). Instead this is turning into Symbian, with different looks, feel, compatibility for different phones. As well as different manufacturers now slapping their own UI on top, which could make it hard to upgrade to the next version of android. Expected much more out of google.

Final thought, Nexus one could probably have killed the very first iPhone (web apps only), maybe been a bit better then the original 3G (after we were given native apps). And is actually worse (in terms of usability not hardware) then 3GS.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #25 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

And how much did you pay for your subscription? Um...this is a free site. Caveat Emptor.

So if it's free it can be crap?
post #26 of 235
(nevermind)

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #27 of 235

deleted


Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 10:45am
post #28 of 235
kitty poo
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #29 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Wow, i just wasted my time to read that, it wasn't even objective at all. I suppose i shouldnt expect that much from a fansite though where no one has even TOUCHED it

Edit: I owned a Zune HD and its screen was no worse than my Bold or my girlfriends iPhone in daylight. I cant speak for the Nexus One but the Zune HD visibility was fine in broad daylight, and believe me i live in Florida (its snowing right now!) and even MacRumors squashed this awhile ago...

Now its off to bed, ive been up well over 24hours to see a few sprinkles of snow lol

I love the little zingers such as: "OLED / poor in daylight" or "most aimed at 320 x 480". And then MULTITASK category? What the heck. I love the iPhone, but the device CANNOT MULTITASK. And under this category, they list Bundled Apps, Voice and Data???
post #30 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

So if it's free it can be crap?

That's kind of Google's motto.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #31 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Why come to appleinsider for a review comparing a competitor's product to Apple?

That's like going to Ford.com to review the new Chevy Pickup..

No it's not. It's like going to appleinsider to review apple products and the competition. This isn't Apple.com, which if THEY were advertising something to do with a Nexus One, I would see unfit, and your example would then make sense.
post #32 of 235
I have a Nexus One and the screen is fine during daylight. As for saying the 5mp camera is too much for the chip is absurd, the pictures come out clear without any grain and the video capture is really good. I also don't know who at engaget reviewed the speech to text feature, maybe they had a lisp or mumbled a lot, because I have only had it miss words a couple times and have been using it extensively to text, email, and search. The Nexus One uses micro usb, not mini usb. The statement of a vague promise of delivering the Nexus One to Verizon is silly, on the Nexus One page it says "Spring 2010" which is a lot less vague than rumors of the iPhone making it to verizon.
post #33 of 235
Quote:
odd odd article
a mis mash of 1/2 baked themes that abruptly end and go now here else
Yet a calm re write and expanding this article to 4 pages would make a great piece to show us why ,where and how google is out doing MSFT in the asshole dept.

GOOGLE IS VERY SCARED RIGHT NOW

google is a way way over priced one horse monster

Google faces a threat from 2 or 3 million 14 yr. old kids writing code for the FIRST time and seeing this world from a new angle . Just like Skype one day will kill the carriers.

Remember, JD?? trading at $95 a share at its peak ?? well at its meteoric rise was going on and they were laying uncounted miles of un lit fiber and the canadian gov;t them selves said it's a good buy at $60 A share >> Millions of Canucks put their life savings in J D and walked away. Safe in their long term buy .

AT 65 a share a SW code demon warned that his new code would compress fiberoptic data at a 10 to one ratio . NO one blinked . The stock rose to $95 a share . THIS was 10 yrs. ago or more . 10 to 1 means stop laying cable right now . over saturation>>LOOK in those days no one streamed movies >>data was just data
Maybe an odd email with 1 raw pic.They did not stop laying cable .

The market promised that all this fiber would bring us movies on demand and the whole LIB.of congress in 18 minutes . The world has changed now, We are NOW short of lit cable if any is left at all. BUT back then 90 percent of all fiber optic cable remained buried and DARK. To light the cable was expensive back then .,
WHAT caused J. D. UNI to go from 95 to $5 a share . ALSO a dozen other companies were laid to waste over this .
THE HERO OF THIS STORY
the code rider == HE >>> LIED
IT was not 10x to 1 data compression >>it was a 100x to one and then up to 1000x to 1 compression / JD CRASHED
JD STOCK FELL TO 3 BUCKS A SHARE AT ONE POINT wiping out billions of Canuck retirement money among other investors who also lost ,
All that cable was never needed at all back then .

GOOGLE FACES THE SAME THREAT a RICH CODE WRITER CAN KILL OFF GOOGLE THE SAME WAY / rich means A kid that can;t be bought off and who see,s the world in a clear level playing field way .


that is why i am not surprised at their shabby phone deals and ill thought out conflicting market plans
they have one stream of money from one source ./

the market needs 50 small googles who do not bow down to the chinese and help the commies abuse their own people
GOOGLE IS SCARED and has no morals at all

i would sell goog right now

Insightful post. I'm amazed at the 'free ride' Google has had with the press and punters because of...what? A search engine? It doesn't really stack up compared to all the things Apple does. It aint even a fair comparison. Apple wins hands down.

Apart from their one trick pony revenue from Advertising, what is Google?

OS? Where?
Phone? A me-too phone. That it? Oh yeah, a higher mega pixel on their camera. Whoop. Can't see apple catching that up in June, eh?
Chrome? Whoop. There's Firefox and there's Safari. I need Chrome, why?
Interface. Where? Poor wanna be M$ interfaces.
App store? Crushed by Apple's.
Music? Crushed by Apple's iPod and iTunes.
Office apps? I haven't heard why I'd choose Google's free online apps (and the risk to my data) over iWorks.
Intuitive ease of use. Shrugs. What hardware and software combos do they make? Don't HTC make their phone? So, no, they don't make the whole widget?
Mail? I don't use their mail? I should because..?

If Apple writes a search engine. I'd go there. Right away. And so, I suspect would 30-40 million Mac users with 50-100 million iPhone/Touch users. Just do it, Apple. Say the word. And Google can go fcuk themselves.

Google? What a load of hot air. Most over valued company in brand, product and 'innovation'? Barren.

In a straight fight? Apple. They'll pay for their treachery with Eric on Apple's board.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #34 of 235
I have used my old iPhone 3G and my friends' new Droids and IMHO, I would easily select the old iPhone 3G over the new Droid if both phones were available from the same carrier. This is not to say that the Droid is worst in every way, just that even the old iPhone is clearly superior over all.

Ecosystem aside, the iPhone features are more usable and perform better overall and the UI is way better. While the Droid has a faster processor, I find the iPhone UI more predictable and more responsive over all.

I am looking to forward to upgrading my iPhone this Summer.

AT&T or Verizon: May the better network win.

I thing the AT&T network will be faster with 7.2Mbit/s HSDPA.
Plus simultaneous voice and data is important to me.

Time will tell.
post #35 of 235
Quote:
GOOGLE IS VERY SCARED RIGHT NOW

They're thrashing about for an exit strategy. If someone writes a search engine to 'Yahoo' them out the market? They're finished.

I'm surprised it's taking so long.

Spits.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Mind you. Apple's building a data centre...

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #36 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post


P.S. When ever people say "Lacks multi-touch" i wish they would follow it by "because they are respecting Apple's patent". (no one else does)

Android 2.0 is multi-touch enabled, google apps don't use it. Download the Dolphin browser which is mutli-touch, gesture and social network enabled. It also has tabs instead of windows.
post #37 of 235
Quote:
Ecosystem aside, the iPhone features are more usable and perform better overall and the UI is way better. While the Droid has a faster processor, I find the iPhone UI more predictable and more responsive over all.

You nailed it. Apple's core strength. UI is Apple. Simple. Elegant. Responsive. Human. Better. Whole widget kind of better.

Apple can think different.

Google can only copy M$'s old dogma.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #38 of 235
Dan's review might have a couple of misstatements about product details. but the important and insightful core of it is about how the Nexus fits into Google's overall Android strategy and platform evolution, and that was really good. no other "pundits" really do that as well.

one very minor edit needed i can't resist mentioning: Dan writes "... leaving Apple, RIM, and Palm unique in pushing one single OS." well, three separate parties can never be "unique." just one. a correct word would be "apart."
post #39 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

They're thrashing about for an exit strategy. If someone writes a search engine to 'Yahoo' them out the market? They're finished.

I'm surprised it's taking so long.

Spits.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Mind you. Apple's building a data centre...

twin mega data data centers
open to all
for a price
apple will be a gatekeeper soon enough
goodbye google goodbye verizon

wipes spit from face

peace
9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #40 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Insightful post. I'm amazed at the 'free ride' Google has had with the press and punters because of...what? A search engine? It doesn't really stack up compared to all the things Apple does. It aint even a fair comparison. Apple wins hands down.

Apart from their one trick pony revenue from Advertising, what is Google?

OS? Where?
Phone? A me-too phone. That it? Oh yeah, a higher mega pixel on their camera. Whoop. Can't see apple catching that up in June, eh?
Chrome? Whoop. There's Firefox and there's Safari. I need Chrome, why?
Interface. Where? Poor wanna be M$ interfaces.
App store? Crushed by Apple's.
Music? Crushed by Apple's iPod and iTunes.
Office apps? I haven't heard why I'd choose Google's free online apps (and the risk to my data) over iWorks.
Intuitive ease of use. Shrugs. What hardware and software combos do they make? Don't HTC make their phone? So, no, they don't make the whole widget?
Mail? I don't use their mail? I should because..?

If Apple writes a search engine. I'd go there. Right away. And so, I suspect would 30-40 million Mac users with 50-100 million iPhone/Touch users. Just do it, Apple. Say the word. And Google can go fcuk themselves.

Google? What a load of hot air. Most over valued company in brand, product and 'innovation'? Barren.

In a straight fight? Apple. They'll pay for their treachery with Eric on Apple's board.

Lemon Bon Bon.

please add apple owns filemaker pro .powerful data based SW


eric has already been found out to be a nexus six android
blade runners are closing in right now

kicks a can



thank you LBB


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS