or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS - Page 3

post #81 of 235
The lack of multi touch can be an advantage to usability. Try to zoom out on the Maps app on the iPhone with one finger (read: one hand!). It is not possible.
post #82 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

The lack of multi touch can be an advantage to usability. Try to zoom out on the Maps app on the iPhone with one finger (read: one hand!). It is not possible.

if I’m ever down to one finger I’ll keep that mind.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #83 of 235
while Dan did title his article as a "vs." piece, perhaps unwisely, the really big question it discusses at length is the future of the Android platform - the interplay of the various OEM's and telcos, the fragmentation of the software/hardware, and Google's counter efforts - if any - to weld it all together somehow - in the cloud? not just Android smartphones, but Android tablets too.

IMHO that is a much richer topic than all these iPhone vs. Nexus put-downs, either way. didn't this just get done with the Droid a month ago already? enuff already.

the same future of the iPhone platform question is very much before us now with the imminent announcement of an Apple tablet. how will Apple avoid fragmentation with two iPhone OS formats? we'll see. the surrounding unified ecosystem however is already in place, and likely to expand further this year.
post #84 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Interesting, I can actually do it very easily with either hand as follows.

Hold the phone with 3 fingers. (Pinky, ring and middle fingers)
Lay your index finger anywhere on the map and use your thumb to zoom in and out.
post #85 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Lay your index finger anywhere on the map and use your thumb to zoom in and out.

That is still more than one finger even if you arent moving the others.
post #86 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

They'll pay for their treachery

Damn. This is very emotional for you, eh?
post #87 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Then why don't you answer his questions instead of making amartass comments?

Here, in case you missed it in your rush to post insults: Is the Motorola Droid supposed to be "the" Droid phone or is the Droid Eris also a "Droid phone?" Enlighten us with your wisdom.

<Pssstttt: It doesn't matter. You and everybody else who cares about these things knows exactly which products are available.>
post #88 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I'm not much interested in the Nexus One if it doesn't sync with my Mac and iTunes.

Good for you! I'm not much interested in any TV network if it doesn't come through the rabbit ears.
post #89 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

You nailed it. Apple's core strength. UI is Apple. Simple. Elegant. Responsive. Human. Better. Whole widget kind of better.

Apple can think different.

Google can only copy M$'s old dogma.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Reading this article, all I kept thinking was, wow this is a real pep rally for the iphone crowd. I love my ipod touch, I love the games, they're great and the UI is very polished. What's overlooked completely here are the most negative aspects of the iphone ecosystem, the parts that prevent many people from entering it.

Multitasking is smoothed over in the matrix to contain some yes's everywhere so as to give the illusion that they're all about the same. Nice try. Lack of third party app multitasking diminishes the experience and costs users money. From location sharing to limited instant messaging, iphone users are forced into 'the apple way', which doesn't work as well and costs more.

Then there's the fact that apple hand picks the apps for its users, which means no premium Google apps like Google Voice, Latitude, Navigation or always-on Google Talk. With an Android phone, there is no need to pay for SMS. Google Voice (GV) allows for SMS over the data channel. That's the thing you pay $30/mo for. GV does many things besides voicemail transcription, too. It allows you to take incoming calls on any phone you wish; work, home, alternate cell phone, etc. Without the app on the phone, it really doesn't work very well. Apple won't let it happen because it would decrease minutes used and hurt them in the long term with future carrier negotiations.

When indicating a 'No' next to the Droid for voice/data multitasking, you do the reader a great disservice by not mentioning that this is true only when no wifi is present. In fact, for those who really want/need to use 3G while on a call where there is no wifi, they can use VOIP/SIP over 3G with Sipdroid. You can even transfer a call without the other person noticing. These are things that will never be allowed in the App Store because it might save you money, meaning it would cost Apple money in the long term with their future carrier negotiations.

Free Google Navigation. How would that be? It will never happen. Apple is making 30% on every Navigon, Tom Tom, and Co-pilot sale and they're not about to let Google crash the party. Do you see the philosophical difference between the two ecosystems? Do you see where their focus is? That's why I have no iphone. Apple is wonderful to shareholders and Google is wonderful to users and shareholders.

Show me an iphone with multitasking, tethering, and premium Google apps on Verizon where I can continue paying $50/mo for unlimited everything and I'll be first in line.
post #90 of 235
Quote:

Well it didn't work for me. But maybe you got my point: it's not the end of the world to put at least a zoom out button on it (like the Bing Maps app does on the iPhone for example).
post #91 of 235
Quote:

Ahh, very nice. I had no idea you could do that. It's rather awkward at first, though.
post #92 of 235
"The phone is nearly identical to what HTC itself sells under the name Bravo in Europe, apart from the placement of its buttons."

This is a completely false statement. Show me a page that even says anything official about a phone called the "Bravo" let a alone show me page where it's being sold in Europe by any carrier. I see absolutely no reason for you to be making assertions about a "Bravo" phone in this article comparing N1 to iPhone, especially when you so clearly have no idea what you are talking about with regard to the Bravo. The leaked brochure for the Bravo points to an April launch in the U.K. but it's not confirmed and it certainly is not on sale now. It is rumored to have Sense UI, an optical trackpad and 720p video recording - all things that differentiate it from the Nexus One.
post #93 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I'm not much interested in the Nexus One if it doesn't sync with my Mac and iTunes.

It's silly to lock yourself into the Apple ecosystem because then you're stuck with them, even when they fall from grace and produce a load of rubbish (which will happen; all glory is fleeting). You'd be doing yourself a favour by having your escape route planned, which means not buying completely into Apple's proprietary methods.
post #94 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's silly to lock yourself into the Apple ecosystem because then you're stuck with them, even when they fall from grace and produce a load of rubbish (which will happen; all glory is fleeting). You'd be doing yourself a favour by having your escape route planned, which means not buying completely into Apple's proprietary methods.

Let's all move into the underground bunker NOW (read: a hole with a pantry) for the disaster that might never happen years and years from now. Until then, let others use all that great Apple tech. iPhones, iPod Touches, Macs, OS X, and possibly game-changing slates are for suckers. Who needs to be pampered with all that when we have our own hole? Great UIs and attractive, cohesive hardware/software ecosystems are for idiots!
post #95 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Let's all move into the underground bunker NOW (read: a hole with a pantry) for the disaster that might never happen years and years from now. Until then, let others use all that great Apple tech. iPhones, iPod Touches, Macs, OS X, and possibly game-changing slates are for suckers. Who needs to be pampered with all that when we have our own hole? Great UIs and attractive, cohesive hardware/software ecosystems are for idiots!

There are plenty of great alternative products out there that people willingly dismiss because they aren't made by their favourite manufacture. That's just being ignorant and short sighted.
post #96 of 235
Quote:

Hey, let's not beat up Google, I like them. I appreciate Google's contribution to the iPhone. (Google Search, Goole Map, Google Earth etc...) The iPhone is a better device because of Google.
Plus Google is keeping Microsoft honest with the free Android OS that beats Winblows Mobile in usability.

I am looking forward to see what Apple does with the PA Semi, PlaceBase, Lala and Quatro Wireless. I imagine PA Semi and PlaceBase will contribute big time on the iSlate tablet and future iPhones. Imagine a Slate that can be used for days without recharging with unrivaled access to global geographical data, climate, economics, crime etc...

Time will tell.

GOOGLE is not as bad as i make them out to be . i only fret that people will buy goog at 500 a share and 3 yrs from now it will 18 a share i also take issue with there dealings with china
THE COMMIES ARE well known abusers of human rights
and GOOGLE is in bed with them now . If you search in china the govt is watching .THANKS TO GOOGLE .
in closing i will say google is RUN by 3 young brats with a couple of billion the bank and they have placed google in a << out of control train wreck mode >>

. Enjoy the google freebies .MY kids love google earth !!

and yes time will tell
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #97 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Excellent, but cryptic post that will go right over 99.9% of the viewers.

i am sorry i will try a re write i am very weak at writing. I write as i speak .

thanks any way

peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #98 of 235
An interesting article about the entire Smartphone market for 2010:

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...t-preview.html
post #99 of 235
Quote:

I disagree, if this guy thinks some smart kid can knock out Google he is absolutely clueless about Google's products. He sounds like a day trader who lost money shorting.

While many companies are struggling to conquer the earth, Google is aiming for the Universe in their respective fields of business.

Google is not interested in selling phones to ordinary people, that's why they have partners.

Ordinary people really should not be buying Google's phone, it is for developers to use as a model. Developers who either have support contracts with Google or can survive with email support for their development will not have any problem with the phone. Carriers will want to offer Google's phone to sell to developers which could possibly lead to new applications for their network.

Time will tell.

i regret my poor skils at writing
no i do not day trade
i gave an example of the rise and fall of JD uniphase and corning and about a 100 of companies
w/ sky high stock prices <<w/people's like savings in them >>
and in simplified terms a SOFT WARE WRITER WROTE CODE THA MADE DATA COMPRESSTION OVER FIBER OPTIC LINES <<and any other medium > REDUCED FROM HIS STATED 10 TO 1 TO 1000 TO 1 IN THE END ..thats 1000 gigbits reduced to 1 gigbit . GET IT

OF COURSE WE ALSO HAD THE WHOLE internet bubble fever going on at the same time .

Billions of 1990 dollars werte already spent laying uncounted DARK fiber optic lines.
TO bring forth a fiber optic line back then was very high cost .

so you choose ??? continue to lay fiber optic lines and turn on the said afore mentions fiber optic lines to handle data . WHICH in effect meant that billions more cash were to be burnt .
or
Rush to market SW that can compress data at 10 to 1 ratio ?? hmm the SW is 50 ..to .. 60 million per region or spend 16 to 25 more billion dollars .

They ignored the SW hero of this story and they made hundreds of thousands of devices to make the 1 to 1 data ratio fiber optic MODEL complete
that includes computers and other machines working in sub zero temps >>
routers and all that switching stuff made by bell labs and there ilk . to handle the data traffic .

All these companies stocks rose even higher . Stock mavens quoted each other saying that sell now was crazy . I lost 40 thou ,, MANY lost all .

SO google can make phones google they can follow msft and do a 100 things at once poorly
even for free. they will even buy up new tech which could hurt them just like you know who
fine
lovely . i don't care either way
i care that google sleeps with the commies
and i warn that a one horse empire will fall at the hands of some young maverick who fragments the ad world for free or cheap
we now have free internet phone call s
how long before the teleco dinosaurs collapse under there own debt .

look i read the same news you do
i just ad my dreams to the mix

peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #100 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

An interesting article about the entire Smartphone market for 2010:

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...t-preview.html

please ad some comments of what you think my friend

happy new year .

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #101 of 235
While I agree the iPhone may be superior, for separate reasons, I won't buy one. Here are mine, and someone among you many *experts* may pick on me as appropriate.

(1) About a third of the way through the article, I began to feel it was a whining non-objective attempt to justify every little difference between iPhone and every conceivable smartphone in existence. I was tempted not to read on. I look forward to to objective reviews from such places as (IMO) eopinions, cnet, consumerreports, pcmag.

(2) I detest AT&T, of course.

(3) Beyond intelligence, one thing that is *basic* to a smartphone is its ability to function as a *phone*, dang it. I'll use an iPod Touch plus a plain ol' PHONE. Remember note 2 above, and also read this: The iPhone is the worst phone in the world - Crave at CNET UK http://bit.ly/40KIRf

(4) In my case, I prefer a screen-protecting clamshell. In our area, AT&T has proven to have *very* poor coverage, AND very surly, unresponsive coverage with overbilling and inaccurate billing which was near impossible to resolve. We switched to $Verizon$.

(5) For lots of reasons, about which I won't rant, I don't have a great feeling about GOOG, either.

So there.
post #102 of 235
[QUOTE=fjpoblam;1546941]While I agree the iPhone may be superior, for separate reasons, I won't buy one. Here are mine, and someone among you many *experts* may pick on me as appropriate.

(1) About a third of the way through the article, I began to feel it was a whining non-objective attempt to justify every little difference between iPhone and every conceivable smartphone in existence. I was tempted not to read on. I look forward to to objective reviews from such places as (IMO) eopinions, cnet, consumerreports, pcmag.

If you're looking for objectivity, I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum.
post #103 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

If you're looking for objectivity, I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum.

Toooooooo funny, and 100% true.
post #104 of 235
Its interesting you ask for objectivity and then link to an article titled "The iPhone is the worst phone in the world". That article has been linked to a number of times. The title is obvious click bait as it doesn't substantially prove the iPhone is the worst, it raises a bunch of points out of context with the performance of other phones and the networks that the iPhone uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

(1) About a third of the way through the article, I began to feel it was a whining non-objective attempt to justify every little difference between iPhone and every conceivable smartphone in existence. I was tempted not to read on. I look forward to to objective reviews from such places as (IMO) eopinions, cnet, consumer reports, pcmag.

(3) Beyond intelligence, one thing that is *basic* to a smartphone is its ability to function as a *phone*, dang it. I'll use an iPod Touch plus a plain ol' PHONE. Remember note 2 above, and also read this: The iPhone is the worst phone in the world - Crave at CNET UK http://bit.ly/40KIRf
post #105 of 235
Quote:

While I agree the iPhone may be superior

Quote:

The iPhone is the worst phone in the world - Crave at CNET UK http://bit.ly/40KIRf

post #106 of 235
Quote:

We switched to $Verizon$.

Using an Android phone on a Verizon family plan with Google Voice and Friends & Family calling feature, pricing is better than Tmobile and much cheaper than ATT. A 1400 minute Verizon plan provides essentially unlimited everything.
post #107 of 235
Quote:

You're confused, let me help. The OP was suggesting that as a browser and media device, the Iphone is superior and in a class by itself. As a phone however, the OP was suggesting that the Iphone was sorely lacking, made worse by the fact that it is bound to AT&T. All true. So when you paraphrase to spin comments, know that you are only underscoring your inability to respond to a perfectly valid post without objectivity, ie: fanboyism.
post #108 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

As a phone however, the OP was suggesting that the Iphone was sorely lacking, made worse by the fact that it is bound to AT&T.

Except outside the US. No complaints at all here in Canada, for instance. Rogers 3G coverage is beautiful, and we've had tethering and MMS from day one. Bell and Telus have the iPhone as well.

The iPhone is the worst phone in the world? Which part(s) of the "world" would that be?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
post #109 of 235
How does a 1400 minute plan provide unlimited everything, first of all by its very definition its only 1400 minutes. The unlimited data plan is an additional $29.99. The only way you can get unlimited text is with a select plan which is $30 more than a basic 1400 minute plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Using an Android phone on a Verizon family plan with Google Voice and Friends & Family calling feature, pricing is better than Tmobile and much cheaper than ATT. A 1400 minute Verizon plan provides essentially unlimited everything.
post #110 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

How does a 1400 minute plan provide unlimited everything, first of all by its very definition its only 1400 minutes. The unlimited data plan is an additional $29.99. The only way you can get unlimited text is with a select plan which is $30 more than a basic 1400 minute plan.

By leveraging Google Voice (GV), no SMS plan is required. Text all you want over the data channel, which we pay $30/mo for.

With GV, all outbound calls are Friends & Family calls and therefore unlimited. I say 'essentially' because inbound calls during peak hours not from Friends/family or other Verizon callers would count against 1400 minutes. However, if you start to run out, you can quickly and temporarily change GV to show your GV number on caller ID so that inbound calls do not count against 1400 minutes. Even with 5 chatty people on my Verizon plan, I've never gone over 400 minutes used.

So, essentially, minutes are unlimited.
post #111 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The Basic 1400 plan, plus $30 data plan for each phone is all you need. No SMS plan, no Select Plan, no Connect Plan, no Premium Plan.

Save another 20% with a corp/gov discount through your employer. Using this, I pay $47.50/mo after taxes for each Android phone.

What many aren't aware of is that Verizon users, no matter where they are in their contract, can go in with friends or family to create cheaper family plan. As each phone fulfills the 2 year commitment, they can be removed from the plan. Also, if you wish to split your family contract at any time, that can be done as well.
post #112 of 235
Quote:

While I agree the iPhone may be superior as a SMART phone

I don't think it would perform as well as a PHONE. I don't think I could HEAR mi esposa very well while I'm standing in a windy place trying to speak with her (in our area), nor she me: I speak from experience, pard. Nor would I be able to see well to dial her number: I've looked at my iPod Touch's face often enough to know that. Got it?
post #113 of 235
Ummm no. Like msft. They have load of cash. Weoking at google is hard as they say it's the best place to work. I wouldn't worry about them, they are going to be fine and believe me, they are not scared dude. They can put up a 200 person USA team in two days if they have to or do like everyone else outsource to India where habacgi changes their name to bob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

odd odd article
a mis mash of 1/2 baked themes that abruptly end and go now here else
Yet a calm re write and expanding this article to 4 pages would make a great piece to show us why ,where and how google is out doing MSFT in the asshole dept.

GOOGLE IS VERY SCARED RIGHT NOW

google is a way way over priced one horse monster

Google faces a threat from 2 or 3 million 14 yr. old kids writing code for the FIRST time and seeing this world from a new angle . Just like Skype one day will kill the carriers.

Remember, JD?? trading at $95 a share at its peak ?? well at its meteoric rise was going on and they were laying uncounted miles of un lit fiber and the canadian gov;t them selves said it's a good buy at $60 A share >> Millions of Canucks put their life savings in J D and walked away. Safe in their long term buy .

AT 65 a share a SW code demon warned that his new code would compress fiberoptic data at a 10 to one ratio . NO one blinked . The stock rose to $95 a share . THIS was 10 yrs. ago or more . 10 to 1 means stop laying cable right now . over saturation>>LOOK in those days no one streamed movies >>data was just data
Maybe an odd email with 1 raw pic.They did not stop laying cable .

The market promised that all this fiber would bring us movies on demand and the whole LIB.of congress in 18 minutes . The world has changed now, We are NOW short of lit cable if any is left at all. BUT back then 90 percent of all fiber optic cable remained buried and DARK. To light the cable was expensive back then .,
WHAT caused J. D. UNI to go from 95 to $5 a share . ALSO a dozen other companies were laid to waste over this .
THE HERO OF THIS STORY
the code rider == HE >>> LIED
IT was not 10x to 1 data compression >>it was a 100x to one and then up to 1000x to 1 compression / JD CRASHED
JD STOCK FELL TO 3 BUCKS A SHARE AT ONE POINT wiping out billions of Canuck retirement money among other investors who also lost ,
All that cable was never needed at all back then .

GOOGLE FACES THE SAME THREAT a RICH CODE WRITER CAN KILL OFF GOOGLE THE SAME WAY / rich means A kid that can;t be bought off and who see,s the world in a clear level playing field way .

that is why i am not surprised at their shabby phone deals and ill thought out conflicting market plans
they have one stream of money from one source ./

the market needs 50 small googles who do not bow down to the chinese and help the commies abuse their own people
GOOGLE IS SCARED and has no morals at all

i would sell goog right now
post #114 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Ummm no. Like msft. They have load of cash. Weoking at google is hard as they say it's the best place to work. I wouldn't worry about them, they are going to be fine and believe me, they are not scared dude. They can put up a 200 person USA team in two days if they have to or do like everyone else outsource to India where habacgi changes their name to bob.

Resources and people aren't the issue. Attitudes and priorities, however, are.
post #115 of 235
Quote:

I don't think I could HEAR mi esposa very well while I'm standing in a windy place trying to speak with her (in our area), nor she me: I speak from experience, pard. Nor would I be able to see well to dial her number: I've looked at my iPod Touch's face often enough to know that. Got it?

So you cant hear anyone on your iPhone in the wind and you can't see the numbers?
post #116 of 235
with all the above discussion its not which is better in this sense the question really i got from the original article was the business models used and how they work to define or confuse the market ie customer
if you look at the pc model, msft had software and many hardware vendors apple controlled all aspects--MS won the desktop and enterprise
now with the new mobile paradigm apple hasn't changed, google offers software (android) to many vendors but sees that vendors follow the pc model looking for ways to differentiate their product among many diluting the brand
BUT
googles own phone answers that diluting affect by controlling most aspects of the phone and therefore the consumers experience

apple google rim nokia MS realize this is the new universe and there is room for a few
the neat thing about google android is that regardless of who is using the OS google gets the revenue from the ads

so we are witnessing business models for GROWTH
apple realized as we do the growth really is about the OS

who has the most pervasive OS
google, apple, rim, nokia, MSFT

well geee
MSFT is relegated to the cheap free phones gone gone gone wont come back
rim is specialized for enterprise
nokia dead unless it can get a better OS but then they have so many phones that can or can not use their upscale OS that THEY will have the dilution affect( developers nightmare) and don't make the $$$$$ on this
android can be used to grow google apps and ads and can be used by other vendors lacking an os
I don't mention palm because it will be bought for its os by one of the above seeing palm as a replacement for the vendors dead or dying OS (i think rim or nokia)

sooooo
the three i believe will win
apple
android
rim (marginally) since the above will attack its market

user experience requires a universe of uses and intergration
the one with the most integration for the user that touches all aspects of users lives WINS

the article was stating caution on the part of goodle's model
IMHO
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #117 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

The Basic 1400 plan, plus $30 data plan for each phone is all you need. No SMS plan, no Select Plan, no Connect Plan, no Premium Plan.

Save another 20% with a corp/gov discount through your employer. Using this, I pay $47.50/mo after taxes for each Android phone.

What many aren't aware of is that Verizon users, no matter where they are in their contract, can go in with friends or family to create cheaper family plan. As each phone fulfills the 2 year commitment, they can be removed from the plan. Also, if you wish to split your family contract at any time, that can be done as well.

That is some pretty damn strenuous math to get your massive savings over AT&T and the iPhone.

You asked "Show me an iphone with multitasking, tethering, and premium Google apps on Verizon where I can continue paying $50/mo for unlimited everything and I'll be first in line", but to get to the "$50/mo for unlimited everything" figure you have to "leverage Google Voice", get some kind of corporate discount, manage your incoming calls, and apparently rotated phones in and out of the mix.

On Verizon's site they list the 1400 minute family plan as going for $120/mo. That's the point of comparison, not whatever $50/mo deal you may be getting via whatever discounts are available to you. The rest is just hand waving. At 1400 minutes I'll wager for most people GV doesn't even enter into it, you just use your minutes.

I also just idly wonder what bullet point the anti-Apple crowd will add to their little lists when Apple includes multi-tasking in 4.0? It's a constantly evolving thing, the stuff that reflexively and mindlessly gets included in each and every anti-iPhone screed. Used to be cut and paste and video, now its tethering and multi-tasking. After that I imagine it will be OLED, resolution and some new thing, because you always have to have at least three things in your list to be "serious."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #118 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

AT&T gets lots of crap for bad service, but I've not seen a lot of writing or comments about the iPhone's antenna design as a possible cause for reduced reception, dropped calls, etc.

Or even more common, idiotic cases that block or dampen the signal. I have convinced three friends to ditch their stupid cases and lo and behold, the phone works fine!

If you are having a problem with reception and your iPhone, try running "naked" for a few days and see if it makes a difference. Not all cases affect the signal, but I am always amazed by just how many do and then people get pissy with AT&T or Apple for some stupid redundant piece of crap they put on their phone to "accessorize" it
post #119 of 235
Quote:

So you cant hear anyone on your iPhone in the wind and you can't see the numbers?

Can you hear me now?
post #120 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I also just idly wonder what bullet point the anti-Apple crowd will add to their little lists when Apple includes multi-tasking in 4.0? It's a constantly evolving thing, the stuff that reflexively and mindlessly gets included in each and every anti-iPhone screed. Used to be cut and paste and video, now its tethering and multi-tasking. After that I imagine it will be OLED, resolution and some new thing, because you always have to have at least three things in your list to be "serious."

Im certainly easily amused and it is still early, but that paragraph made my Sunday.

Whats interesting about cut/copy/paste on the iPhone is that Apple didnt right. I have absolutely no complaints about it, yet for every other touch-based OS its either poorly coded and/or only half complete, allowing only certain fields and certain types of data to be cut and copied.

A Boy Genius article from yesterday about the Nexus One
Quote:
Other issues that I cant live with day to day? How do I copy text from non-editable field like an email, webpage, or SMS, or even a 3rd party application? Oh, I cant. Say what you want about the iPhone not having copy and paste for two years a joke its the single best implementation on the planet for a smartphone and Googles approach is almost as bad as RIMs with the Storm-series.

PS: For those that missed my previous posting on this, its good to see some comparative tests come out that go beyond the myopic measuring stick known as the Spec List. Below is a test of the touchscreen technology in various phones. I cant say Im shocked that Apple is the clear winner
http://labs.moto.com/diy-touchscreen-analysis/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS