or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple tablet may ship with multi-touch version of iWork
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple tablet may ship with multi-touch version of iWork - Page 2

post #41 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

So I'm on the go, and I have my MacTablet and my camera with me.
How do I send my editor this awesome photo I've just taken?

  1. Put cameras MicroSD card into the tablets MicroSD card slot? (They added them to Macs recently, maybe theyll add it to a tablet)
  2. Use a simple adapter to connect to tablets iPod Dock Connector or BT, if your camera has it?
  3. Wait until you get to a PC because Apple didnt design the tablet to replace PCs, but to be an acccessory device?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Like with the iPhone and Touch, you make it more intelligent when figuring out input methods. There may also be some learning involved so people dont directly touch the display unless they want to access something but I havent had much of a problem with that on the iPhone to date.

Or they could add a bio reader that only allows the user to integrate with device. Or perhaps use a fiber-optic LightPeak sex organ that the NaVi in Avatar use to connect connect with the flora and fauna. It could happen.

I'm using an app on the iphone called runkeeper - for joggers. It allows you to press a tiny button on the screen that locks the entire screen.... so that you don't disengage the program or otherwise disturb it while you are jogging/exercising.

They could use something like that - you'd need to pro-actively lock the screen.
post #43 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm, I think I’ll need some convincing to see iWork for Windows being viable. Apple makes SW to sell HW and I see making iWork for Windows would just push people to use Windows more if it was successful. They’d likely have to up the price and I just don’t think the user base would increase much with so many other version of Windows out there and many of the great aspects of iWork couldn’t transfer to Windows.

Safari for Windows is the only app that might be questionable but that came out right before the iPhone launched and there might have been aspects that needed leveraging to make the iPhone work better syncing with Windows or perhaps they just wanted web developers on Windows to have a platform for making iPhone-capable apps. Now, the iTunes Store uses WebKit so having that engine is still required regardless if you install Safari for Windows, or not.

I think you answered your own question! The purpose of a Windows version of iWork would be to complement a tablet-based version of iWork -- otherwise, that feature of the tablet for Windows owners is potentially useless, or at least, far less compelling. This situation is probably more similar to Apple developing iTunes for Windows than Safari for Windows. If Apple does indeed release a tablet-based version of iWork, then the next piece seems logical.

Here is an another reason why Apple would do this. I think they've been building up to it for some time. Consider, Apple's overall strategy for the last ten years or so has been to outflank Microsoft at every opportunity. If they offered a tablet with a compelling productivity suite which is better designed for this type of use than Office will ever be, and they connect it to the desktop, then consumers have a good reason use it instead of Office. This a very different strategy than simply releasing iWork for Windows and hoping people buy it instead of Office. It's the old end run play, the one Apple's been running successfully for quite awhile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If they get a good web version going, I don't see Apple wanting to port iWork to Windows. (Of course, that pre-supposes they've got a "good web version" cooking)

Another possible scenario, yes!
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #44 of 173
If this is true then it is a Mac OSX variant and not based on the iPhone APIs. Mac desktop and laptops could see a benefit in this new functionality if it is rolled-up into the core Snow Leopard offering. Touch-based iMacs could be in Apple's future line-up or more gestures for the glidepad and magic mouse.
post #45 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If this is true then it is a Mac OSX variant and not based on the iPhone APIs.

Could be but not necessarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
post #46 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

You're thinking with a point-and-click mindset. Multi-gesture is a new interaction model.

So the people Apple said were too confused by a a second mouse button are now expected to memorize dozens of complicated finger gestures?
post #47 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

Could be but not necessarily.

Not necessarily, yes, but why would someone prefer iPhone OS over Mac OS on a 10" tablet?

To counter your signature, putting iPhone OS on a 10" tablet is like building a skyscraper just to run a candy shop.

A terrible waste of hardware.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #48 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

A new interaction model doesn't require a more elaborate, wrist cramping gesture when there is a simple, intuitive gesture already available. Pointing at something I want didn't start with computers and mice.

I think there will be a combination of interaction methods, and different levels as there are now on MacBooks and the TrackPad (you can turn on and off various options and gestures as they suit you).

I'm also sure that Apple will do the GUI pretty well.

-----

The iPhone can do basic video editing (especially with ReelDirector), so the tablet will certainly ship with some kind of video app.

iWork will need some kind of video out...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #49 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Not necessarily, yes, but why would someone prefer iPhone OS over Mac OS on a 10" tablet?

To counter your signature, putting iPhone OS on a 10" tablet is like building a skyscraper just to run a candy shop.

A terrible waste of hardware.

Why is there this idea that Apple is simply going to take an already existing OS without any alterations for the completely different device. They tailored the AppleTV OS and iPhone OS UI and APIs for their respective devices so why should we expect anything less for an Apple tablet?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I think you answered your own question!
[]
This a very different strategy than simply releasing iWork for Windows and hoping people buy it instead of Office. It's the old end run play, the one Apple's been running successfully for quite awhile now.

Everything you wrote sounds like reasons for not making a iWork for Windows. Web access or get a Mac.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The iPhone can do basic video editing (especially with ReelDirector), so the tablet will certainly ship with some kind of video app.

iWork will need some kind of video out...

QuickTime X is already pretty well setup for a touch-based system.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #51 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Is it the 27th yet? The suspense is killing me!


Is there any chance they won't introduce a tablet/slate computer? It's been talked about so much....with all the speculation based on parts Apple's ordered etc... it would be a tremendous let down if they came out and had nothing like what's been bandied about....

Of course there's a chance that they won't introduce a tablet. However, the odds favor a major product launch because Apple would not rent the Yerba Buena Gardens venue for relatively lackluster announcements like MacBook Pro CPU updates or new CinemaDisplays.

My guess is a three-pronged announcement: 1.) new media service (possibly an entire rebranding of the iTunes Store), 2.) new developer tools preview, 3.) a new device.

I would not take any individual tablet rumor at face value. However, the aggregate trickle of ongoing tablet rumors indicates a strong possibility for a future release, particularly with supply-chain rumors starting to surface.

Trust me, many readers here will be completely disappointed with whatever Apple releases because a lot of commenters here have insanely outlandish expectations (many of them consisting of incredibly obtuse understandings of consumer electronics design and manufacturing, plus an avalanche of completely esoteric features that have zero value to the mass market).
post #52 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

So the people Apple said were too confused by a a second mouse button are now expected to memorize dozens of complicated finger gestures?

The only people Apple has ever "said were too confused by a second mouse button" are the novice users. All Mac mice have two buttons and have had for years. You just have to enable them as they are turned off by default.

Apple's position is that any computer should be easily navigable by complete novice's, (thus only a single click is enabled by default), but also have the capability for more complex interaction. The more complex interaction has to be easily "discoverable" in their view also.

They are basically doing the same thing with the introduction of the new multi-touch platform. They purposely hold back on introducing complex gestures (the way the Fingerworks people didn't), because they know that only a small group of people will run with it, whereas the majority will be scared or put off. The reasoning behind the way they are introducing multi-touch technology is to get the average person used to it first before introducing the harder/weirder stuff. Through the iPhone, most of the world has been introduced to the basic idea of multi-touch and a few universal gestures.

But the tablet could be the first true multi-touch device in the sense that it might have a real gesture vocabulary of sorts.
post #53 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

So I'm on the go, and I have my MacTablet and my camera with me.
How do I send my editor this awesome photo I've just taken?

My guess is that the tablet would have one or two USB ports, a Mini DisplayPort, and a bi-directional audio port (input/headphones-mic) in addition to the iPod dock connector.

Maybe there's a built-in SD reader, but if not, you can just plug in a cheapo card reader into one of the USB slots. I have one that reads about 9-10 formats and it's the size of a current iPod shuffle.

Remember, the tablet is rumored to have a 10" screen. It's big enough for multiple accessory ports.
post #54 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


My guess is a three-pronged announcement: 1.) new media service (possibly an entire rebranding of the iTunes Store), 2.) new developer tools preview, 3.) a new device.

4.) new relationships with U.S. telecom companies.
post #55 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is that the tablet would have one or two USB ports, a Mini DisplayPort, and a bi-directional audio port (input/headphones-mic) in addition to the iPod dock connector.

Maybe there's a built-in SD reader, but if not, you can just plug in a cheapo card reader into one of the USB slots. I have one that reads about 9-10 formats and it's the size of a current iPod shuffle.

Remember, the tablet is rumored to have a 10" screen. It's big enough for multiple accessory ports.

Yeah, but Apple doesn't really 'do' multiple accessory ports. If we're lucky, it'll have a flip-down door like the Macbook Air with a USB and mini Displayport, and maybe an SD slot if The Steve is feeling really generous.
post #56 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Yeah, but Apple doesn't really 'do' multiple accessory ports. If we're lucky, it'll have a flip-down door like the Macbook Air with a USB and mini Displayport, and maybe an SD slot if The Steve is feeling really generous.

I dont think well see a trap door on this device. If this tablet is meant to handheld you dont want any pressure activated door coming open. It will break off and Apple will be replacing it under warranty. I think well get some limited ports. Headphones and 30-pin dock connector could be the minimum. Charging, video out is through the 30-pin connector.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Marsal View Post

suggest the company may require that users adapt to a "somewhat complex new vocabulary of finger gestures to control it, making use of technology it acquired in the 2007 purchase of a company called FingerWorks."

If Apple does this - I can only hope they make the gestures open-source. Or simply licensed or something.

Nothing could be worse than every tablet having entirely different gestures. Much as I want a standard keyboard on any PC I buy, not a different Dell/Compaq/Apple version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

None of the iWork app would work great as they are. Keynote works the best, which you can see for yourself, but remember that on a small display everything else will be cramped.

That probably illustrates why making regular OSX apps available on the tablet will cause far more problems than it would solve. Apps NEED to be rewritten for a tablet interface.

That said - I'd like to see Apple release iWork for tablet AND a new iWork for Mac at the same time - bringing the 2 versions in line where it's sensible. Same with iLife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im not sure if iMovie will make it to that tablet, but as it likely wont have the power needed to be useful, but the UI is pretty damn good for being completely touch-based. Check it out! I bring this up because I think rolling menus will be how Apple tackles the problem of making an viewer app into a good editing app on a touchscreen.

If iMovie created a low res version of a film, it would be very capable of skimming it even on low powered hardware. As for the power to create low res versions or export final products - that's going to rely on some big GPU usage... I wonder if OpenCL (and the tablet) can handle it.

We're due for iLife '10 about now (that's good for my parents new i7 since iLife '09 seems to really not use more than 2 processors). Even if iMovie '09 has good touch interface potential already, I hope they keep iMovie 10 distinctly different to any touch version. Otherwise each will have limitations... and even if it was possible it'd be a bad example to send developers.
(... don't ask me whether that holds if they bring out touch iMacs at some point!)
post #58 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Is it the 27th yet? The suspense is killing me!


Is there any chance they won't introduce a tablet/slate computer? It's been talked about so much....with all the speculation based on parts Apple's ordered etc... it would be a tremendous let down if they came out and had nothing like what's been bandied about....

It's unlike they don't, if only because everyone else released their version at CES in order to beat Apple to the punch. The only other likely scenario would be a new iPhone, but then what's up with all the 10" screens and related stuff?
post #59 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

These "complex multi-touch gestures" fits with the supposed steep learning curve rumor.

As long as it's not a much harder "shallow learning curve". I want to learn the gestures quickly, which is what a steep learning curve means....

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

iLife should be part of the equation too. Yet that leads to questions about how you transfer photos and movies to the device.

SD card could be there. I do hope for a direct connection (without computer) for this kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

transferring of photos, movies and music would be the same as with the iphone and ipod touch. Sync with itunes

Seems odd to force full movie projects to sync via iTunes, but it's possible.

I'd like to see an entirely new synchronisation model - where a desktop and laptop can sync together, a tablet and laptop, a tablet and desktop, a tablet to iPhone, mobileme to whatever. etc

I just want my documents, music, photos, movies, calendars, contacts, apps - on any device I own. Of course, only subsets of movies/music etc on the smaller devices, but syncing changes back up to the master copy when ready. (and if the master copy dies... a facility to rebuild it from all my syncs if necessary?)

edit: Is it necessary to have a "master" copy of your data at all? Is it possible to just have "my data" spread over 5 devices (and mobileme) with different versions and some copies having everything?
post #60 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

It's unlike they don't, if only because everyone else released their version at CES in order to beat Apple to the punch. The only other likely scenario would be a new iPhone, but then what's up with all the 10" screens and related stuff?

Its unlikely for Apple to release a new iPhone at the end of the month if they plan to run it on v4.0 and devs need to get their apps ready for the new HW. That the most I think we can expect: v4.0 demo, new SDK, info about new carriers.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #61 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Seems odd to force full movie projects to sync via iTunes, but it's possible.

I'd like to see an entirely new synchronisation model - where a desktop and laptop can sync together, a tablet and laptop, a tablet and desktop, a tablet to iPhone, mobileme to whatever. etc

I think that it will sync through iTunes but may likely have a Finder-like access with home networks so that you can move files. You can already add music, movies, TV shows and apps to the device and have them transfer to iTunes later so it wouldnt be tough for Apple to give you an option to add them to the tablets iTunes player from the tablets Finder app.


Quote:
I just want my documents, music, photos, movies, calendars, contacts, apps - on any device I own. Of course, only subsets of movies/music etc on the smaller devices, but syncing changes back up to the master copy when ready. (and if the master copy dies... a facility to rebuild it from all my syncs if necessary?)

I have way too many GB in my home folder to make that feasible. Id wager that most people are in the same boat.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I hear you. I think the swipe gesture on the magic mouse is really awkward. I'm just saying that we think of everything as point and click because that's how we've been doing things for the past 25 years. But it's such a blunt instrument. It's one dimensional. You're basically trying to do everything by poking things with a stick. And the entire past 25 years of computer interfaces have been based on that limited interaction method. With gestures, the entire interface and how we interact with a machine can be rethought in ways we are probably only now starting to understand with the iPhone. Maybe the app launching example was not a good example. That's a pretty simple task. I'm just saying... wait and see. And keep an open mind. There will always be a place for point and click I'm sure. But things are changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I think there will be a combination of interaction methods, and different levels as there are now on MacBooks and the TrackPad (you can turn on and off various options and gestures as they suit you).

I'm also sure that Apple will do the GUI pretty well.

-----

The iPhone can do basic video editing (especially with ReelDirector), so the tablet will certainly ship with some kind of video app.

iWork will need some kind of video out...

Don't misunderstand me, I think multi-touch gestures are great. And I don't think that new interactions based on them need be particularly difficult to learn; after all, swiping across multiple choices is relatively new thing, but it's so natural and intuitive no one worries about the "learning curve." As long as touch gestures make sense (flicking, flipping, rotating, pinching, etc.) in that they have real world analogs, I think it makes computer interactions easier than the traditional mouse and keyboard model.

I'm just saying that for something as prosaic as opening an application, "three fingers downward and rotate" is insane. I also think that if Apple's UI for a slate has a lot of gestural equivalents of "option/shift/tab", that is, nearly arbitrary actions that are mapped to a vast array of commands, then that slate will fail miserably.

However, this being Apple, I'm relatively certain that whatever gesture vocabulary they've dreamed up will feel very natural and obvious, once you've used it. Which is why I'm also pretty certain the "three finger down" thing is just made up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #63 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

However, this being Apple, I'm relatively certain that whatever gesture vocabulary they've dreamed up will feel very natural and obvious, once you've used it. Which is why I'm also pretty certain the "three finger down" thing is just made up.

Ditto.

edit: Thinking about it, it may depend on where the swipe would be located. On the front, then no, but if on the back then “three fingers down and rotate" is the only natural natural thing you can do with three fingers while holding a 10 device weighing under 2lbs.. As you pull all three fingers down they naturally will pull in. To get a better idea of what the hell I’m talking about, put your hands on the back of your notebook monitor while holding the sides. As much I still don’t think that is what will happen that motion does feel natural. Perhaps we’re not thinking outside the box enough.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #64 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

4.) new relationships with U.S. telecom companies.

Maybe, maybe not. They might just opt out of a carrier-subsidized tablet for this round. If you have a USB cellular modem, you could plug it into a port and get connectivity that way (Bring Your Own Network).

Again, Verizon's CDMA technology is a dead-end. T-Mobile USA's 3G frequencies are incompatible with the 3G frequencies for the rest of the world. There is no indication that Apple is acquiring worldmode CDMA-3G chips for the phantom tablet.

We'll see, but in any case, the tablet would have a data-only plan so the cellular data provider might be less newsworthy.
post #65 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Yeah, but Apple doesn't really 'do' multiple accessory ports. If we're lucky, it'll have a flip-down door like the Macbook Air with a USB and mini Displayport, and maybe an SD slot if The Steve is feeling really generous.

I dunno about that.

My old 12" PowerBook G4 had power, Ethernet, modem, FireWire, two USBs, mini-DVI, audio, and the Kensington security port. Not much bigger than the proposed 10" tablet. A similar set of ports graces my three-year-old 13.1" MacBook.

The limiting factor of the MacBook Air is thickness, not width or length. That's why it had a flip-down door. Plus, there's a keyboard on the MacBook Air's base. You have limited places where you can stick the ports. On a rectangular tablet of equal thickness and no physical keyboard, you have options on where you can place external ports.
post #66 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Maybe, maybe not. They might just opt out of a carrier-subsidized tablet for this round. If you have a USB cellular modem, you could plug it into a port and get connectivity that way (Bring Your Own Network).

Again, Verizon's CDMA technology is a dead-end. T-Mobile USA's 3G frequencies are incompatible with the 3G frequencies for the rest of the world. There is no indication that Apple is acquiring worldmode CDMA-3G chips for the phantom tablet.

We'll see, but in any case, the tablet would have a data-only plan so the cellular data provider might be less newsworthy.

I cant see Apple telling customers to plug in a USB data card and I think that not having 3G would make this DOA for many potential users. But requiring a data plan would make it DOA for the other half.

Perhaps the best solution is something like the Kindle where the 3G data cards are inside and the device comes at a full price with access to the store for purchases and updates, but you can unlock internet and app data by getting a data plan from your carrier. This would mean that they, too, could sell it at a subsidized price for those willing to get a data contract. Since space isnt as limited adding the chips for both AT&T and T-Mobile USA 3G frequencies isnt a big deal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I dunno about that.

My old 12" PowerBook G4 had power, Ethernet, modem, FireWire, two USBs, mini-DVI, audio, and the Kensington security port. Not much bigger than the proposed 10" tablet. A similar set of ports graces my three-year-old 13.1" MacBook.

The limiting factor of the MacBook Air is thickness, not width or length. That's why it had a flip-down door.

Your Powerbook is a notebook, though, not a tablet. Its going to be 1.2 thick over 3lbs. I think port access is going to be minimal and be very thin.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #67 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that it will sync through iTunes but may likely have a Finder-like access with home networks so that you can move files. You can already add music, movies, TV shows and apps to the device and have them transfer to iTunes later so it wouldnt be tough for Apple to give you an option to add them to the tablets iTunes player from the tablets Finder app.

Apple's current filesystem on the Mac is in need of a rethink anyway. I mean... we really have a "music filesystem" offered by iTunes (hiding the underlying filesystem), a "photo filesystem" offered by iPhoto, documents in the regular file system, 2 "movie" filesystems (regular Movies folder, and iTunes)

Quote:
I have way too many GB in my home folder to make that feasible. Id wager that most people are in the same boat.

You misunderstand me.
Say you have 1TB in your home folder - why not have a synced subset of your music, photos, documents, on your MacBook Air (for example)? An independent subset of your data on your iSlate?

The amount of data on any device is necessarily limited by the size of the device - but it might have access to the larger data set via the network or "Back to My Mac". I'd even like to allow a sync between a smaller MacBook and iSlate if my (imaginary for me) 1TB Mac isn't around.
post #68 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Like with the iPhone and Touch, you make it more intelligent when figuring out input methods. There may also be some learning involved so people don’t directly touch the display unless they want to access something but I haven’t had much of a problem with that on the iPhone to date.

Or they could add a bio reader that only allows the user to integrate with device. Or perhaps use a fiber-optic LightPeak sex organ that the Na’Vi in Avatar use to connect connect with the flora and fauna. It could happen.

Joking aside; I was responding to someones suggestion that it would be "surprising" for there to be "complex" gestures for initiating an action where a simple "tap" with a finger might suffice.
The thing is; indications seem to be that this is going to be a device too large for "palming", and therefor will be held like a clipboard would be.
If I hand the device to my secretary, I don't want my thumb to launch an icon in the process, nor have him inadvertently launch or drag something around just while he is carrying or otherwise handling it.
All that said; I would expect this device to be as simple to control as absolutely humanly possible.
That is Apple from my perspective.
post #69 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your Powerbook is a notebook, though, not a tablet. Its going to be 1.2 thick over 3lbs. I think port access is going to be minimal and be very thin.

Whether it be my old PowerBook or my current MacBook, the ports are on one half. The bottom half of the current unibody MacBook Pro is what I imaging the thickness of the phantom tablet to be, maybe as thick as the current iPhone (0.48 in.).

It's not going to be as thin as my iPod touch (0.33 in.).
post #70 of 173
I wonder how theyll do multiple apps on this device. I cant see there being a typical background with files and drives listed and being able to open multiple apps in the same space. How about the cube effect like when switching users in Mac OS X? Too slow? Too flashy?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #71 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

All that said; I would expect this device to be as simple to control as absolutely humanly possible.
That is Apple from my perspective.

Absolutely spot on.

All this discussion of complex multitouch gestures and learning curves is B.S. That's the antithesis of Apple's M.O.

There are plenty of posts about how learning a "third operating system" (after iPhone OS and Mac OS X) would be ponderous. How difficult was iPhone OS to learn? I bought the original iPod touch about two year ago, and it didn't take me that long to learn. As a matter of fact, if the learning curve for the iPhone OS was that difficult, the device would not have enjoyed the blockbuster 2.5 year growth.

Again, these Apple rumor sites continue to prove the fact that many forum commenters have almost no touch with reality in terms of predicting future consumer electronics products.
post #72 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

All this discussion of complex multitouch gestures and learning curves is B.S. That's the antithesis of Apple's M.O.

I think it will be natural but check out the System Preferences » Trackpad for, at least, buttonless MB and MBPs. In all faireness, Apple did add video to the menu to show to use all the gestures.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #73 of 173
Mac touch FTW?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #74 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mac touch FTW?

OK, so what would that involve, exactly?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #75 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Not necessarily, yes, but why would someone prefer iPhone OS over Mac OS on a 10" tablet?

  • Lower cost for the same "snappiness" (due to lower software overhead)
  • Increased snappiness for the same specs
  • Thinner (important to Apple at least)
  • Longer battery life for same "snappiness" (due to lower software overhead)
  • An OS that is designed for touchscreen rather than one that's designed for mouse
  • Mac OS X and its apps don't work well with small display sizes and resolutions, while iPhone OS does, especially an "extended" version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

To counter your signature, putting iPhone OS on a 10" tablet is like building a skyscraper just to run a candy shop.

A terrible waste of hardware.

What hardware? MacBook-level hardware? No, it's likely to be somewhere between iPhone / iPod touch and MacBook, which is good for "extended"/"full-screen" apps but it's not enough to run Mac OS X and its apps well.

I've always predicted iPhone OS "extended" anyway, and with the full-screen apps that would be a skyscraper to run a very large candy shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
post #76 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OK, so what would that involve, exactly?

Not quite sure what the question is.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #77 of 173
Putting Mac OS X on this tablet would be foolish. Putting Mac OS X touch on this tablet would be revolutionary.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #78 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that it will sync through iTunes but may likely have a Finder-like access with home networks so that you can move files. You can already add music, movies, TV shows and apps to the device and have them transfer to iTunes later so it wouldn’t be tough for Apple to give you an option to add them to the tablet’s iTunes player from the tablet’s Finder app.

Why wouldn't this thing just come with iTunes? Most of us would agree that iTunes is in need of a rewrite so why not just start with a touch based version? To me this should be a device that an iPhone can sync to and not a device that has to constantly sync to your Mac.

Since over 60% of Macs purchased are laptops, it would mean that most Mac users would be syncing their 10" tablet to their 13"-15" Macbook/Pro. It would look very odd.
post #79 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think the rumor is interesting, but surely there's a better example of a potential gesture vocabulary than "three fingers down and rotate to open an application"?

I mean, how about touching an icon?

Take look at some parts of old FingerWorks Manuals

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari


http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari


http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari


http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari


http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari

Time will tell.
post #80 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Putting Mac OS X on this tablet would be foolish. Putting Mac OS X touch on this tablet would be revolutionary.

Right. So what is "Mac OS X Touch?"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple tablet may ship with multi-touch version of iWork