or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. every other consumer technology (2010)

Blu-ray vs. every other consumer technology (2010) - Page 3

post #81 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

But that isn't profile changes causing that.

Blu-ray profile 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 in the works. Most playback issues within profile 2.0 players with profile 2.0 feature on. Obviously, turning off this feature is temporary remediation for many players. This issue along with many others also follow software players used in HTPC. Perhaps, when you buy enough blu-ray movies, you can experience it yourself.

Quote:

In regards to the same stage in the DVD lifetime, Blu-ray has a higher adoption rate. It won't hit the same levels in the end as DVD, but I don't think downloads will really take off for several more years yet. There are major infrastructure, and compatibility issues with the current downloading scheme that need to be addressed before it will take off.

Where are you getting your information? Even if you include all US PS3 sales as standalone blu-ray players, it won't beat DVD adoption rate.
Table demonstrated in the link does not count PS2, btw. Blu-ray definitely has been a dud in comparison to DVD adoption.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...advdsales.html

In regards to downloads, there was stat on the amount of download users by Netflix subscribers. You may be able to make better extrapolation of expected adoption number for existing and future download services. I am not sure how much valid it is to keep bringing up "intrastructure not ready" statement so blindly. Most people I know do have broadband services at home. Actually, I do not know anyone who does not. For those who do not, how much % of optical movie disc sales would be contributed from those without broadband service at home?
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #82 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Blu-ray profile 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 in the works. Most playback issues within profile 2.0 players with profile 2.0 feature on. Obviously, turning off this feature is temporary remediation for many players. This issue along with many others also follow software players used in HTPC. Perhaps, when you buy enough blu-ray movies, you can experience it yourself.

Profile 2.0 has been implemented for two years, I think you are beating the dead horse with this one, and profile 3.0 is audio only, ie not going to affect the majority of people.

Quote:

Where are you getting your information? Even if you include all US PS3 sales as standalone blu-ray players, it won't beat DVD adoption rate.
Table demonstrated in the link does not count PS2, btw. Blu-ray definitely has been a dud in comparison to DVD adoption.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3494
http://hd.engadget.com/2009/01/08/li...ss-conference/
http://news.therecord.com/printArticle/469824

Quote:

In regards to downloads, there was stat on the amount of download users by Netflix subscribers. You may be able to make better extrapolation of expected adoption number for existing and future download services. I am not sure how much valid it is to keep bringing up "intrastructure not ready" statement so blindly. Most people I know do have broadband services at home. Actually, I do not know anyone who does not. For those who do not, how much % of optical movie disc sales would be contributed from those without broadband service at home?

Taking a survey of people you know isn't the most reliable, you see I can counter it and say I know a lot of people that don't have broadband, or have incredibly slow broadband yet purchase optical media a lot.

You say there was a stat for Netflix, but didn't provide the stat. Also Netflix steaming isn't up to the quality of blu-ray, from what you hear it isn't even up to DVD quality. I don't believe there is the infrastructure quality available to provide near blu-ray quality to the masses, and I know there is no support between the media providers, and the hardware providers to allow playing of files between devices
post #83 of 421
LOL. Why are there like 10x more people that care about BluRay vs. some other shiny disc than the new MBP/MBA/iMac/Mac Pro updates that are taking unusually long! Last thread was like 30 pages or something similarly outlandish. Sure seems that Apple isn't going to build BluRay into laptops ever and only maybe BTO on Mac Pro, maybe. One or two more updates and Apple laptops won't even have an optical drive! (Although I expect their desktops will have at least the option to for another 5-10 years.) Did I mention I want that new MBP!!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #84 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

LOL. Why are there like 10x more people that care about BluRay vs. some other shiny disc than the new MBP/MBA/iMac/Mac Pro updates that are taking unusually long!

Quite a few people would prefer the addition of blu-ray over the next speed bump. Seriously, I'm one of them. And that's coming from someone who constantly says streaming is the future. I still wanted a blu-ray drive in my 27" iMac I bought last month. I would have sacrificed plenty of things, including processing power, in exchange for blu-ray playback.

This isn't to say it is more important than the next spec update, but it isn't like there is no demand either. The interest isn't surprising at all.
post #85 of 421
Quote:

Profile 2.0 has been implemented for two years, I think you are beating the dead horse with this one, and profile 3.0 is audio only, ie not going to affect the majority of people.

I guess everything will be okay because you said so. This is comforting! Tell this to those experiencing issues with profile 2.0 players.

Quote:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3494
http://hd.engadget.com/2009/01/08/li...ss-conference/
http://news.therecord.com/printArticle/469824

Taking a survey of people you know isn't the most reliable, you see I can counter it and say I know a lot of people that don't have broadband, or have incredibly slow broadband yet purchase optical media a lot.

You say there was a stat for Netflix, but didn't provide the stat. Also Netflix steaming isn't up to the quality of blu-ray, from what you hear it isn't even up to DVD quality. I don't believe there is the infrastructure quality available to provide near blu-ray quality to the masses, and I know there is no support between the media providers, and the hardware providers to allow playing of files between devices

The links you've provide does not provide any value. They're either outdated, mostly a projection from early 2009, or blu-ray thinks blur-ray is the best statment.

If you want to provide a serious feedback, please provide a data/fact driven indication of consumer spending on blu-ray/standalone blu-ray players compared to DVD from 1997 to 2001/2. The number of total blu-ray standalone players may not tell the most accurate story, but it's much better indicator than merely linking website about what some people projected from early 2009. I'm sure those statements did not come true. Another thought is that most current model blu-ray players do offer streaming options, it will not be as clean cut associating total number of blu-ray players sold to 100% blu-ray viewing. Who knows what the % of hardware usage for DVD, blu-ray, and streaming is?
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #86 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Quite a few people would prefer the addition of blu-ray over the next speed bump. Seriously, I'm one of them. And that's coming from someone who constantly says streaming is the future. I still wanted a blu-ray drive in my 27" iMac I bought last month. I would have sacrificed plenty of things, including processing power, in exchange for blu-ray playback.

This isn't to say it is more important than the next spec update, but it isn't like there is no demand either. The interest isn't surprising at all.

This is my only reason to boot windows. No love from apple in mediaPC/Mac area. I actually just build a new pc about a week ago to solely view blu-ray movies and encode discs to files. Handbrake loves Phenom II system. If I didn't get so wild on video card, PSU, and cpu heat sink, it would only cost about $350 to build one with some recycled parts.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #87 of 421
Quote:

I guess everything will be okay because you said so. This is comforting! Tell this to those experiencing issues with profile 2.0 players.

Can you provide statistics of all the issues that occurred when profile 2.0 discs were released? I only have my experience to go by, and I have had zero issues.

Quote:

The links you've provide does not provide any value. They're either outdated, mostly a projection from early 2009, or blu-ray thinks blur-ray is the best statment.

I provided you with the details you requested, but the DVD stats you gave me stopped in 2007, they are much older than the details I provided. Just because you disagree with statistics doesn't mean they are incorrect.

Quote:

The number of total blu-ray standalone players may not tell the most accurate story, but it's much better indicator than merely linking website about what some people projected from early 2009. I'm sure those statements did not come true. Another thought is that most current model blu-ray players do offer streaming options, it will not be as clean cut associating total number of blu-ray players sold to 100% blu-ray viewing. Who knows what the % of hardware usage for DVD, blu-ray, and streaming is?

Standalone player facts, yes now you do show your HD-DVD side, I have two PS3's, they are used 90% of the time to view Blu-Ray, by your logic why shouldn't their sale be counted as a blu-ray player sale?.

The Blu-Ray players in my region (and in a lot of areas actually) don't include any streaming support except youtube or dlna. At the moment if a Blu-ray player is sold it is counted towards Blu-ray adoption regardless of its use, just as a notebook that is permanently placed on a desk is counted as a portable device, just as a HDTV sold that only views SD sources is counted in the HDTV adoption rates.

Also if you read those links you would see they weren't just projections but included sales information.
post #88 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Yeah you're right dfiler. Different strokes for different folks. I respect that you have BluRay as a priority. I am just going nuts 'cuz my MacBook is dying and I am hoping for a MBP update! For your case, I hope Apple does add BluRay in their desktops. I just get the feeling they'll probably eliminate optical drives completely soon in the MB and MBPs. Or perhaps it'd be an addon bay, but come with a small SSD in their by default instead of an optical drive.
post #89 of 421
OK here's the problem. I have the Star Wars sexology in full 1080p. (I also own fully legal copies of the DVDs so don't talk to me about piracy, please). My new Blu-Ray player doubles as a media player via USB. I thought I could copy the films to a USB drive and play them that way.

The problem is, the player can only read FAT-32 formatted drives. Which limits the file size to 4GB. The movie files are all 8.5GB.

How do I fix this?

Currently I can play these movies by hooking up my MacBook Pro to the display. I'd like to get them off my hard drive though.
post #90 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

OK here's the problem. I have the Star Wars sexology in full 1080p. (I also own fully legal copies of the DVDs so don't talk to me about piracy, please). My new Blu-Ray player doubles as a media player via USB. I thought I could copy the films to a USB drive and play them that way.

The problem is, the player can only read FAT-32 formatted drives. Which limits the file size to 4GB. The movie files are all 8.5GB.

How do I fix this?

Currently I can play these movies by hooking up my MacBook Pro to the display. I'd like to get them off my hard drive though.

You either need to split the file into multiple smaller files, below the 4GB limit, or need a upgrade the blu-ray player that allows you to stream over the network.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #91 of 421
Just wanted to contribute that since I Bluray enabled my Netflix account, new releases come a lot quicker. Much shorter wait (if any).
post #92 of 421
Quote:

You either need to split the file into multiple smaller files, below the 4GB limit, or need a upgrade the blu-ray player that allows you to stream over the network.

What's the easiest way to split an mkv file for free?
post #93 of 421
Quote:

What's the easiest way to split an mkv file for free?

I have not used it myself, but many use mkvtoolnix or mkvmerge. I am not sure either of the freeware is available on OS X, though.

Good luck!
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #94 of 421
Blu-Ray players hit the $69. mark. Still can't kill off DVD...
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #95 of 421
Quote:

Yes, I've watched an HD movie downloaded through BT and a few SD films I've converted for iPod playback. I didn't have a problem with the quality of an SD rip of the latest episode of Dollhouse, which is generally a dark show. I haven't watched anything streamed. But my monitor is small, so SD generally looks fine, especially if it's from a digital source.

I also rip DVDs and watch them through my MacBook. The reason I do this is that I don't have an upscaling DVD player. Although I have an upscaling box, the image quality is lacking when compared to digital SD.

I could just hook up the MacBook and play directly in my Superdrive, but I watch films from different regions. My MacBook is set to Region 1, so if it's not Region 1, I need to plug in an external reader to either play it or rip it for later play. All DVD players in Hong Kong are region-free, so it's aggravating to have to do this. If I get a BR player, it would solve this problem, as it's sure to be region-free for DVD playback.

What's the state of region coding of BluRay discs? This should be a concern, I guess.

how do you rip your HD movie?
post #96 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

difitinity, you downloaded the wrong software to rip your DVD, i rip my HD movies with full quaility under the help of winx HD video converter deluxe .

maybe you can have a try.
post #97 of 421
Just to throw a different aspect on the Blu-ray thing. At Best Buy, we just had our training on the 3D stuff that's coming out and how it's going to affect Blu-ray. Right now, we are seeing several different 3D players emerge, most if not all of which are going to have HDMI 1.4, which is incompatible in any HDMI v1.3 or below receiver. So right off the bat, you're screwed when it comes to that. Plus, all of the 3D formats are going to be proprietary due to the lack of a common standard. This means that a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player will only work on a Samsung TV with Samsung Glasses. Same with Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc. The only thing I'm not so sure on is the PS3. I've heard that the PS3 will work on any TV w/ any glasses, but I highly doubt that. So now you're going to see that Blu-ray is going to be a victim of a format war between manufacturers until a standard is found.

Personally, I think the 3D is cool, but right now, it's going to be a gamble, an expensive one. So I'm telling anyone who's interested in 3D Blu-ray to stay away from the 3D for another 1-2 years until a standard is out. But that's only if you're into 3D. By the way, the only 3 movies set for release in 3D in 2010 are Monsters vs Aliens, A Christmas Carol, and possibly Avatar, which I severely doubt.

So yeah, just my 2c.
post #98 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermania View Post

Just to throw a different aspect on the Blu-ray thing. At Best Buy, we just had our training on the 3D stuff that's coming out and how it's going to affect Blu-ray. Right now, we are seeing several different 3D players emerge, most if not all of which are going to have HDMI 1.4, which is incompatible in any HDMI v1.3 or below receiver. So right off the bat, you're screwed when it comes to that. Plus, all of the 3D formats are going to be proprietary due to the lack of a common standard. This means that a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player will only work on a Samsung TV with Samsung Glasses. Same with Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc. The only thing I'm not so sure on is the PS3. I've heard that the PS3 will work on any TV w/ any glasses, but I highly doubt that. Again, I'm not sure. So basically, Blu-ray is going to be a victim of another format war between manufacturers until a standard is found. Personally, I think the 3D is cool, but right now, it's going to be a gamble, an expensive one. So I'm telling anyone who's interested in 3D Blu-ray to stay away from the 3D for another 1-2 years until a standard is out. But that's only if you're into 3D. By the way, the only 3 movies set for release in 3D in 2010 are Monsters vs Aliens, A Christmas Carol, and possibly Avatar, which I severely doubt.

So yeah, just my 2c.

First and foremost, there is only one 3D blu-ray format, so I don't know what you mean by a lack of a standard. Secondly, for that reason I'm pretty sure you can use any 3D blu-ray player with any 3D television. Yes, you probably have to use Panasonic 3D glasses with a Panasonic display, but this is no different than having to buy xBox controllers for your xBox, as opposed to PS3 controllers.

Lastly, at least some of the 3D blu-ray players have two HDMI out ports so that video can run directly to your television and audio directly to your receiver, thus saving you from having to replace your receiver with an HDMI 1.4 model.
post #99 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

First and foremost, there is only one 3D blu-ray format, so I don't know what you mean by a lack of a standard. Secondly, for that reason I'm pretty sure you can use any 3D blu-ray player with any 3D television. Yes, you probably have to use Panasonic 3D glasses with a Panasonic display, but this is no different than having to buy xBox controllers for your xBox, as opposed to PS3 controllers.

Lastly, at least some of the 3D blu-ray players have two HDMI out ports so that video can run directly to your television and audio directly to your receiver, thus saving you from having to replace your receiver with an HDMI 1.4 model.

Each TV manufacturer supposedly has a different standard at which they go by, at least according the guides provided by Best Buy. And you're correct when you said some will have 2 outputs. The current Samsung and Sony ones do not, but the upcoming Panasonic one will have dual outputs, one in 1.3 and the other in 1.4.
post #100 of 421
Quote:

Each TV manufacturer supposedly has a different standard at which they go by, at least according the guides provided by Best Buy. And you're correct when you said some will have 2 outputs. The current Samsung and Sony ones do not, but the upcoming Panasonic one will have dual outputs, one in 1.3 and the other in 1.4.

The Best Buy guides are wrong. Here's a guy who overheard a Best Buy employee telling someone the same thing.

Quote:
I was just at a local Best Buy checking out the Samsung 3D demo (which I think was completely awesome, by the way), and I overheard one employee talking to another saying that only Samsung players would work in 3D mode with Samsung TV's, Panasonic players with Panny TV's, and so on.

But as you can read here, the players mix and match fine with different manufacturers' televisions:

Quote:
For the purposes of our tests, we connected the TVs to each companys new 3D Blu-ray player, and then switched them to see if the Samsung Blu-ray would work on the Panasonic TV, and vice versa. (They did.)
post #101 of 421
Just thought I would pass along the info I received... Sorry for any confusion
post #102 of 421
Quote:

Just thought I would pass along the info I received... Sorry for any confusion

No no, I'm glad you did. It's just a shame that the Best Buy bossmen are spreading false information to their sales staff and thusly consumers. The glasses are best used with a tv from the same manufacturer, yes, but any 3D blu-ray player will work with any 3D television.

I don't suppose they told you guys that 3D blu-ray discs are backwards compatible with current blu-ray players, and will just play as 2D if you don't have a 3D player/television? So there really is no new disc format, either.
post #103 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

No no, I'm glad you did. It's just a shame that the Best Buy bossmen are spreading false information to their sales staff and thusly consumers. The glasses are best used with a tv from the same manufacturer, yes, but any 3D blu-ray player will work with any 3D television.

I don't suppose they told you guys that 3D blu-ray discs are backwards compatible with current blu-ray players, and will just play as 2D if you don't have a 3D player/television? So there really is no new disc format, either.

I don't recall being told that either, but now I have a bunch of stuff I can tell to the rest of the HT dept.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for that info. I will definitely pass it along.
post #104 of 421
Quote:

Just to throw a different aspect on the Blu-ray thing. At Best Buy, we just had our training on the 3D stuff that's coming out and how it's going to affect Blu-ray. Right now, we are seeing several different 3D players emerge, most if not all of which are going to have HDMI 1.4, which is incompatible in any HDMI v1.3 or below receiver. So right off the bat, you're screwed when it comes to that. Plus, all of the 3D formats are going to be proprietary due to the lack of a common standard. This means that a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player will only work on a Samsung TV with Samsung Glasses. Same with Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc. The only thing I'm not so sure on is the PS3. I've heard that the PS3 will work on any TV w/ any glasses, but I highly doubt that. So now you're going to see that Blu-ray is going to be a victim of a format war between manufacturers until a standard is found.

Personally, I think the 3D is cool, but right now, it's going to be a gamble, an expensive one. So I'm telling anyone who's interested in 3D Blu-ray to stay away from the 3D for another 1-2 years until a standard is out. But that's only if you're into 3D. By the way, the only 3 movies set for release in 3D in 2010 are Monsters vs Aliens, A Christmas Carol, and possibly Avatar, which I severely doubt.

So yeah, just my 2c.

This is a valid concern. We do have to see how it gets implemented on every 3D ready displays among different vendors, but even with finalized 3D specs, it may vary things alot in implementation. It requires 3d transmeter that will have to work with your player and also requires synching with 3D shutter glasses. I know Samsung does make their own and Mitsubishi did announce thier 3D kit compatibility with Samsung TV's. However, there are different 3D kits available for LCD's vs. DLP types of displays.

I do have a 3D ready samsung display and will find out once Avatar 3D version comes out.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #105 of 421
Quote:

Haha... I thought blu-ray took over the world, already. All PS3 users only watch Blu-ray movies.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #106 of 421
It must be some consolation to those with dust layered HD-DVD players that Apple haven't introduced Blu-ray yet. Enjoy your Netflix boys

As for DVD, do people really imagine it's the future? A standard definition format in a High Definition world? Pretty soon people wont be given a choice, just as there's now no option to buy a standard definition TV in most stores these days.
post #107 of 421
Here's what we know now:

1) The price of flat panel HDTV's that can display Blu-ray disc playback at full resolution are rapidly coming down in price.

2) The price of Blu-ray players that support video streaming from an external source are also rapidly coming down in price.

3) You can get new-release Blu-ray releases for not much more than what you pay for a new DVD release.

4) Licensing costs for Blu-ray technology has dropped quite a bit since the Blu-ray Disc Association announced a single-point technology licensing model.

This is why I do think Apple is preparing to release within the next six months iMacs and Mac Pros with an optional next-generation BD-RE Superdrive optical disc recorder. Since you sit fairly close to a computer on a iMac, Blu-ray disc playback on a 27" iMac should be spectacular, to say the least.
post #108 of 421
Blu-ray sight and sound quality are unbelievable. For those of you that are skeptical, there's no better movie than Transformers to make you a believer.On 1080p, the picture is crystal clear, the colors are vibrant, and the sound is amazing, I swear you can practically feel those' robots.Full of good bonus features that update in real-time (BD-Live capabilities). Plus Michael Bay talks about how they took each Transformer from toy to movie star.
post #109 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

3) You can get new-release Blu-ray releases for not much more than what you pay for a new DVD release.

I never bought new release DVDs for that reason. And I won't buy Blu-Ray (in quantity) either until not new-release BR discs are not much more than not new-release DVDs, which at this time is absolutely not the case. Two year-old DVDs cost as little as $6. I have not seen a single Blu-Ray movie for less than $20, and most are $30.
post #110 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by kollkolen View Post

Blu-ray sight and sound quality are unbelievable. For those of you that are skeptical, there's no better movie than Transformers to make you a believer.On 1080p, the picture is crystal clear, the colors are vibrant, and the sound is amazing, I swear you can practically feel those' robots.Full of good bonus features that update in real-time (BD-Live capabilities). Plus Michael Bay talks about how they took each Transformer from toy to movie star.

Correction......

"High Definition sight and sound qualify are unbelievable,..............."

YMMV depends on your HT equipments.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #111 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

It must be some consolation to those with dust layered HD-DVD players that Apple haven't introduced Blu-ray yet. Enjoy your Netflix boys

As for DVD, do people really imagine it's the future? A standard definition format in a High Definition world? Pretty soon people wont be given a choice, just as there's now no option to buy a standard definition TV in most stores these days.

I don't belive anyone stares at the discs for two hours, but do watch the contents on the disc. High definition/standard definition AV contents are not optical disc format dependent anymore to watch. At least, it holds true at my house.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #112 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Here's what we know now:

1) The price of flat panel HDTV's that can display Blu-ray disc playback at full resolution are rapidly coming down in price.

2) The price of Blu-ray players that support video streaming from an external source are also rapidly coming down in price.

4) Licensing costs for Blu-ray technology has dropped quite a bit since the Blu-ray Disc Association announced a single-point technology licensing model.

This is why I do think Apple is preparing to release within the next six months iMacs and Mac Pros with an optional next-generation BD-RE Superdrive optical disc recorder. Since you sit fairly close to a computer on a iMac, Blu-ray disc playback on a 27" iMac should be spectacular, to say the least.

you forgot about #5&6....

5) number of HTPC users are increasing rapidly.

6) Win7 media center provides online streaming access including netflix. MacOS supports iTunes and probably only iTunes knowing how SJ is so forgiving of competition.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #113 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by kollkolen View Post

Blu-ray sight and sound quality are unbelievable. For those of you that are skeptical, there's no better movie than Transformers to make you a believer.

No one is skeptical. BR has amazing quality and won the format war.

But for those of us who came into this discussion half a decade ago, we constantly heard that $149/$199 was the magic price for everyone to jump aboard. Anyone who disagreed was scoffed at.

Now we're at $70. for players, 3 years into BR's purported "5-year life", and the tech still isn't totally mainstream yet.
post #114 of 421
Quote:

No one is skeptical. BR has amazing quality and won the format war.

But for those of us who came into this discussion half a decade ago, we constantly heard that $149/$199 was the magic price for everyone to jump aboard. Anyone who disagreed was scoffed at.

Now we're at $70. for players, 3 years into BR's purported "5-year life", and the tech still isn't totally mainstream yet.

To be perfectly accurate, blu-ray "didn't lose". It is yet to be determined if it will actually "win". But yeah, HD-DVD did indeed "lose".

The second point seems somewhat like a strawman if not directed at someone in particular. People from all sides of the debate had unique opinions on what the magic price point was. And every assertion about pretty much anything has been scoffed at in this thread. Thus, pointing out that someone disagreed with something that has now been proven right, doesn't seem to do much other than mock an unspecified person or group of people.

I would agree though that blu-ray hasn't gained mass appeal yet despite players having gotten relatively cheap. The problem seems to be that no matter how much videophiles rave about picture quality, the general public seems to be saying "whatever". While nearly everyone would certainly take better quality with all things else being equal, apparently they're willing to put exactly zero money and effort into getting that quality. You could probably even GIVE some folks a blu-ray player and they wouldn't use it due to sheer lack of motivation to swap out their current DVD player. Baffling right?
post #115 of 421
Quote:

I have not seen a single Blu-Ray movie for less than $20, and most are $30.

Have you tried opening your eyes before looking, there are plenty of blu-ray movies available for less than $20, new releases, and old ones
post #116 of 421
Quote:

I never bought new release DVDs for that reason. And I won't buy Blu-Ray (in quantity) either until not new-release BR discs are not much more than not new-release DVDs, which at this time is absolutely not the case. Two year-old DVDs cost as little as $6. I have not seen a single Blu-Ray movie for less than $20, and most are $30.

Wow! I see Blu-rays all the time for less than $20. Our local Walmart has a section of $10 Blu-rays.
post #117 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnXnham View Post

Wow! I see Blu-rays all the time for less than $20. Our local Walmart has a section of $10 Blu-rays.

As far as I know, there are no Walmarts in Hong Kong. There's several in Shenzhen though, not far away.
post #118 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

As far as I know, there are no Walmarts in Hong Kong. There's several in Shenzhen though, not far away.

I doubt WalMart in Shenzhen sells media. Even so, thanks to GeeDub, it now costs me US$130 for a visa to Shenzhen (vs. $15 during the Clinton Administration), so I don't go any more.
post #119 of 421
I guess if I visit the States this Summer, I should stock up.
post #120 of 421
Quote:

I doubt WalMart in Shenzhen sells media. Even so, thanks to GeeDub, it now costs me US$130 for a visa to Shenzhen (vs. $15 during the Clinton Administration), so I don't go any more.

Really? Didn't know that. A visa for HK isn't a visa for the PRC? Never been to HK. Taiwan and Japan are where I end up. One of these days I should do the extra hours...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. every other consumer technology (2010)