or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report - Page 4

post #121 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

A fix to the notification system in general would be nice. It should be like the WebOS implementation (and Android) it doesnt swallow your screen or pause apps it simply just shows you what it was, and gives you the option to answer or just let it fade out and you can continue on.

That's an OS feature, not a 4th gen specific feature. Sure, the OS itself requires several little teaks here and there. Like a shortcut to switching on an off the various wireless stuff.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #122 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I always figured Apple fans had a hard-on for bashing OLED for being not as good as the LCD, especially when its in competing products, but that seems to have changed significantly now.

I noticed this too. It's called fanboyosys.

In my original review of the iPhone after owning it for a very short period in Jan 2008 I specifically mentioned the screen being its weakest link. Well checking back it was more in a comment than specially in my original review. It was about 2 weeks after my original review. I mentioned OLED specifically. The iPhone screen handles blacks terribly, I have noticed this from day one.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #123 of 153
Koreans? Wtf! Since when were they ever in the whole entire Apple rumors all this long? Ha!
Anyways, iChat camera? Nearly impossible, unless wifi helps support.(Which will be a no go for Apple, because it'll most likely be unsuccessful, without the carriers support at the moment. Including verizon too, for you verizon fanboys!!!) Ugh, lame..
And than removable battery? Wtf! That's what got my attention, and thought this whole article is false, and probably from 2006 when iPhone was in development. How about that OLED screen? Seriously.. Might as well just add a projector to the iPhone while we're there. OLED screens hardly saves you enough battery life, and the screen looks real bad in sunlight! I mean, look at the nexus one screen failure..
I'm positively expecting the 5megapixel camera, more video/camera options, glowing/macbook like apple logo, along with flash built in, a higher screen resolution, 7 hours of battery life, and an upgrade to the proccessor, a new design, slimmer design, NO early release, NO iChat, and NO 4G, unless they somehow go with Sprint?.. Oh, and hopeing for NO Verizon!! It'll be the wrong decision. Apple doesn't care about revenue, they know they can already attract new and existing customers with their 4th generation iPhone!
(:
post #124 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Right and remember when people used to put a color film over a black and white TV and pretended they had real color?

what is your point?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #125 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

Good points, but a replaceable battery means when battery died on 12/22/09, I would have had a usable phone 12/22/09. I am still waiting for my phone. That is a big difference, regardless of swapping batteries, which I happily did two years ago... Everybody has a preference, but holding a charging brick to my phone so I can use it is not appealing in any sense of the word. Pulling a battery out and swapping it means I now have another 10/12 hours of cord free phone use, no cables....

How about, give me a replaceable battery, and let me make the choice over brick or spare battery. Then everybody is happy, provided they can follow the google team and design a nexus style case where you don't have an ugly situation like your picture.

Except that everybody isnt happy. Apple has never put a removable battery in an iDevice. This dates back to the original iPod which came out with an internal Li-Ion battery when the standard for Mp3 players was to use replaceable AA batteries.

Then we have to consider how often people do have to change their batteries in their iDevices. Id have to say that the pros clearly outweigh the cons when you look at Apples moves, even with their entire notebook line, and the continued uptake of their notebooks and iDevices.

Ive busted a click wheel and display in my iDevices but never needed to get a new battery. Should everything just slide into place for the off chance that a component might fail or break? Wont that cause even more problems by increasing cost and making the larger and allowing for even more issues to come up?

Conclusion:
Apples didnt do in 2001 with the 1st iPod and have moved away for it in their notebooks so expecting it now is not following Occams Razor or shaving cream.
The benefits for the average user outweigh the inconvenience to an unlucky few that do have battery issues.


PS: I use to have two additional batteries for my notebook but was very happy that Apple made them internal which allowed for new tech and a larger capacity giving me no reason to even consider paying for external batteries.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #126 of 153
OK
http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/i...ry/IF137-002-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

How about, give me a replaceable battery, and let me make the choice over brick or spare battery. Then everybody is happy, provided they can follow the google team and design a nexus style case where you don't have an ugly situation like your picture.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #127 of 153
Quote:

Takes 5 minutes. Of course the next argument will jump back to the inability to change out batteries constantly.

We really need a flow chart of anti-Apple arguments. If If Im bored at the airport tomorrow Ill work on that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #128 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

what is your point?

That is Teckstud so it’s a question that can’t be answered.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #129 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPhone 4G should have multitasking for radio applications. A tiny hardware light to signify missed text or phone calls. An LED flash for the camera. An OLED screen. And 4G internet connectivity options.

You rally think Apple will include WiMAX in their phone and/or that LTE is up and running in enough markets with power-efficient phone chips on the ready as of last year when this phone was first designed? I dont see any evidence to support it.

For comparison, Japan isnt even offering any LTE-based phones until 2011 according to the last report I read. Notebook data cards will come in 2010 but were talking a small land area with a much denser population than the US.

Perhaps things have changed, but Id think that wed have seen slim LTE phones already being announced and demoed at CES. Instead it was just tablets, notebooks and media extenders.

iPhone X for 2010! \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #130 of 153
Quote:
The new processors are capable of breaking the 2GHz barrier.

2GHz barrier? When did we start putting arbitrary barriers?

You might as well say it breaks the 1.2 GHz barrier, as if there were such a thing!

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #131 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Takes 5 minutes. Of course the next argument will jump back to the inability to change out batteries constantly.

We really need a flow chart of anti-Apple arguments. If If Im bored at the airport tomorrow Ill work on that.

Nah, not anti-apple in the slightest. Just anti-disposable devices... Different strokes for different folks. I am amazed at every ones battery life. The only conclusion I can come up with is they don't talk on the phone as much as I do.
post #132 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is Teckstud so youre a question that cant be answered.

i assumed as much
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #133 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

Nah, not anti-apple in the slightest. Just anti-disposable devices... Different strokes for different folks. I am amazed at every ones battery life. The only conclusion I can come up with is they don't talk on the phone as much as I do.

I should made my 2nd sentence a post script. It was not directed toward you in any way.

I do wonder what problems you see with the external battery. Its still an extra battery you have to carry with you regardless if its internal or external, but its often cheaper than the internal battery, only needs to be on while it charges the device, can be charged and powered inline with the internal battery which means never powering off the device. I really see downside to the method that has been employed with iPods for years.

I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air as it doubles the usage and acts as a protective case. I dont talk on the phone much but I am a heavy internet user with the iPod almost always running in the background. Despite my usage habits I have absolutely no desire to see a removable battery. Too many cons, not enough pluses, which only seem to appear for some off chance that the battery goes bad and I cant get to an Apple Store to get a new phone handed to me.

I think people havent thought it all the way through and are just going off of an old paradigm. People freaked out about removing the floppy drive and theyll freak out again when Apple removes the optical drive. I even recall one of the more common complaints about the non-removable battery was how are you going to reset your phone when it freezes up?, but that seems to have died off quickly after the iPhone was released.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #134 of 153
Screw the iPhone, I want to know what is coming for the 4th Generation iPod Touch with Camera
post #135 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Welcome to AI, but this argument is just as bad as iFail’s. Let’s examine what you’ve stated...

You’re saying that having a battery you plug into the bottom of the iPhone to charge it less convenient than opening up your phone taking out the old battery, then replacing the new battery.

No, let's examine what YOU'RE saying. What you and others fail to see however obvious it should be, is that having an extra battery ready in your bag is a HELL OF A LOT more convenient that waiting for when there might be a USB port around or carry one of those fugly iPhone battery extenders which increase your phone length by 30% and defeat the purpose of having a small sleek iPhone. If my battery dies you need a USB port or need to be plugged into to an outlet.

Now THAT is inconvenient. A brand new battery is just that. A new battery. And my iPhone looks the same and I'm not attached to any cables. And the other argument about having an extra piece that might break off is stupid too because most people have a 3rd party cover so you'd never see the battery cover



P.S. Looks like this is the begging of the phasing out of books as we know it. This came in my email. Personally I just threw out about 100 books that have been replaced by iPhone apps. Love it.

post #136 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

The only conclusion I can come up with is they don't talk on the phone as much as I do.

Silly boy, that's your problem...the iPhone isn't supposed to be used as a phone. If it were, the sound quality wouldn't be so crappy in a call, and the cell signal wouldn't be so lame.

Just kidding (kind of).
post #137 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Folks, the rumor clearly states that there will be a "removable battery."

Has anyone noticed that Apple has not shipped a product with a removable battery since oh, I don't know, late 2009??

Bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

I was at WWDC the other year, and someone asked if the Apple Design Award (a cube thing which lights up when you touch it) had a removable battery. It turns out it takes 4 AAs or something. So they're not as completely against them as all that

Amorya
post #138 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

I was at WWDC the other year, and someone asked if the Apple Design Award (a cube thing which lights up when you touch it) had a removable battery. It turns out it takes 4 AAs or something. So they're not as completely against them as all that

Amorya

While the Apple Design Award uses 4AA batteries, you would have to destroy the award to replace them. They figured out what was inside by CAT scan.
post #139 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While the Apple Design Award uses 4AA batteries, you would have to destroy the award to replace them. They figured out what was inside by CAT scan.

Did they? Guess I'm remembering it wrong. I thought someone opened one to check.
post #140 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

No, let's examine what YOU'RE saying. What you and others fail to see however obvious it should be, is that having an extra battery ready in your bag is a HELL OF A LOT more convenient that waiting for when there might be a USB port around or carry one of those fugly iPhone battery extenders which increase your phone length by 30% and defeat the purpose of having a small sleek iPhone. If my battery dies you need a USB port or need to be plugged into to an outlet.

Now THAT is inconvenient. A brand new battery is just that. A new battery. And my iPhone looks the same and I'm not attached to any cables. And the other argument about having an extra piece that might break off is stupid too because most people have a 3rd party cover so you'd never see the battery cover.

Let me try to break it down into manageable parts

1) You plug in the batter pack BEFORE the phone dies, when youre not using it. Try to be proactive in life, not reactive.

2) Might be a USB port around? That makes no sense. The iPhone and other phones power through a USB port. They come with power adapters that push power from a wall socket to a USB port. Any one of these can charge both devices at once. It doesnt get any easier.

3) Having an extra battery with you defeats the purpose already. If you are going to have an extra battery on you, might as be smart about how you do it.

4) Still not getting it, eh? The battery NEVER has to die. The phone should NEVER be off for the duration you own it, expect for the reboot from OS updates.

5) I NEVER want to take my phone apart to change batteries. I NEVER want my phone to be offline. I NEVER want to have to forego using my phone because I have to have plugged in to charge an additional battery.

6) Finally, youre right, many use protective covers on these expensive phones so the battery cover falling off wont happen, but now I have the additional inconvenience of having to remove the cover to switch batteries for extended use and recharging each battery while Im sleeping. That is soooo convenient!

Seriously, how can you not see that each of those steps to take your phone apart and then again to charge up additional batteries is not convenient? How can you think this is what people want to do over having a larger battery in a small space with a simple inline add-on that can be added before you run into problems.

Scenerio1 : Went out to dinner the other night. Battery down to 30%. Put phone on silent and plugged in additional battery. 15 minutes later its up to 85% charged, by end of dinner its fully charged with battery pack still with plenty of juice. Put battery pack in console of car and went out with a single charged phone that never had to have the case removed, the back removed just to charge it.

Scenerio 2: Getting home and ready for bed, phone almost dead and 2 additional batteries almost dead.. Have an early start and want to sleep through the night uninterrupted. Plug in batteries to wall or PC, then plug phone into one of those batteries. All batteries, all at once being charged without taking it apart. No late night musical battery bay maneuvering to get me ready for the next day.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #141 of 153
Now that I think about it, I don't have an issue with the internal battery. My real issue is the time it takes to get the battery replaced. I can live without throwing in an extra battery. It would be nice, but not necessary if they had a Apple store battery replacement service similar to getting your oil changed. For example, drop off the phone, hang out or come back in a hour (for out of warranty phones).

At the end of the day, there are going to people that are not comfortable with performing the minor surgery required to change a battery. I am one of them. For those of you that aren't, great, you'll save more money (and obviously less time without your phone) than me!

I think the Mophie is a good alternative to the charging brick I have now. I'll have to take a look at it.

BTW, no optical drive is the only reason I haven't bought the apple TV. I wanted it, but I needed something to play the DVD's I have and the ones I get from Netflix. I could live without it on a PC tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I should made my 2nd sentence a post script. It was not directed toward you in any way.

I do wonder what problems you see with the external battery. Its still an extra battery you have to carry with you regardless if its internal or external, but its often cheaper than the internal battery, only needs to be on while it charges the device, can be charged and powered inline with the internal battery which means never powering off the device. I really see downside to the method that has been employed with iPods for years.

I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air as it doubles the usage and acts as a protective case. I dont talk on the phone much but I am a heavy internet user with the iPod almost always running in the background. Despite my usage habits I have absolutely no desire to see a removable battery. Too many cons, not enough pluses, which only seem to appear for some off chance that the battery goes bad and I cant get to an Apple Store to get a new phone handed to me.

I think people havent thought it all the way through and are just going off of an old paradigm. People freaked out about removing the floppy drive and theyll freak out again when Apple removes the optical drive. I even recall one of the more common complaints about the non-removable battery was how are you going to reset your phone when it freezes up?, but that seems to have died off quickly after the iPhone was released.
post #142 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

BTW, no optical drive is the only reason I haven't bought the apple TV. I wanted it, but I needed something to play the DVD's I have and the ones I get from Netflix. I could live without it on a PC tho.

But an optical drive on AppleTV goes against everything the AppleTV was meant to be: an extender of your iTunes digital content onto the living room TV, and a way to get you to move from the physical movie medium of DVD to electronic delivery.
post #143 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

Now that I think about it, I don't have an issue with the internal battery. My real issue is the time it takes to get the battery replaced. I can live without throwing in an extra battery. It would be nice, but not necessary if they had a Apple store battery replacement service similar to getting your oil changed. For example, drop off the phone, hang out or come back in a hour (for out of warranty phones).

At the end of the day, there are going to people that are not comfortable with performing the minor surgery required to change a battery. I am one of them. For those of you that aren't, great, you'll save more money (and obviously less time without your phone) than me!

That is the ONLY valid argument for making a user-removable battery. It is an inconvenience to be without your phone for 2 days if the battery dies. Apple is quick to send you a box and return it, but it still means no phone and you should also back up then wipe your phone before shipping just to be safe. Fortunately for us this type of issue is not common. For the few unlucky people it sucks but most of use will never have a bad Li-Poly-Ion battery.

Quote:
I think the Mophie is a good alternative to the charging brick I have now. I'll have to take a look at it.

What charging brick do you have? The simple way to have an extra battery with an iPhone is to just plug it into your computer at night or use the very small wall socket plug that came with the phone. Whatever method you use it should just be one cable to charge both the external and internal batteries.

Quote:
BTW, no optical drive is the only reason I haven't bought the apple TV. I wanted it, but I needed something to play the DVD's I have and the ones I get from Netflix. I could live without it on a PC tho.

I dont see it coming for many reasons and you can get one cheaper than Apple would charge for their ultra-slim, slot-laoding drives that they like to use. You can get Blu-ray drives for $100, but they are pretty bad.

If you really want a media extender Popcorn Hour has released new products, one even comes with a Blu-ray player. Its does what it does very well. Now they just need to learn to access the iTunes DB to make it more AppleTV-like.

Popcorn Hour C-200

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/16/p...anything-else/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #144 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

So the new iSlate is actually a 10" iPhone with multi-gesture input, a new closed UI tied to the App Store, a removable battery and designed to replace the MacBook and all their laptops eventually.

You're like a more annoying version of Ireland...
post #145 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

No, let's examine what YOU'RE saying. What you and others fail to see however obvious it should be, is that having an extra battery ready in your bag is a HELL OF A LOT more convenient that waiting for when there might be a USB port around or carry one of those fugly iPhone battery extenders which increase your phone length by 30% and defeat the purpose of having a small sleek iPhone. If my battery dies you need a USB port or need to be plugged into to an outlet.

Now THAT is inconvenient. A brand new battery is just that. A new battery. And my iPhone looks the same and I'm not attached to any cables. And the other argument about having an extra piece that might break off is stupid too because most people have a 3rd party cover so you'd never see the battery cover

Except I have one extra battery for my iphone, my wife's ipod (usb to 30pin dock), cell phone (mini-usb) and any other device that runs/charges off USB.

Inconvienent is lugging around two spare batteries for two different cell phones (if I didn't have an iPhone it would be a crackberry and she'd still have a variety of phones she occasionally breaks or loses...) because I'm the one that ends up with them in my pocket or backpack.

Inconvienent is ending up with a bunch of spare batteries for electronics you don't have or use anymore. I get to reuse my external pack for any other USB compatible phone I get. I don't have to buy a spare battery or two when I buy my phone anymore.

Inconvienent is not being able to borrow my wife's larger battery pack when I take a long flight and use my iPhone as my entertainment device.

The lack of a replaceable battery is a non-issue for most folks given the extenders, external packs and AA packs that all do USB or 30 pin dock connectors.
post #146 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Except I have one extra battery for my iphone, my wife's ipod (usb to 30pin dock), cell phone (mini-usb) and any other device that runs/charges off USB.

An excellent point I overlooked. How man devices out there can be charged through a single external battery or cable for 8 years running?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #147 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

But an optical drive on AppleTV goes against everything the AppleTV was meant to be: an extender of your iTunes digital content onto the living room TV, and a way to get you to move from the physical movie medium of DVD to electronic delivery.

Hahaha, which is fine, they just won't sell me one!
post #148 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

Hahaha, which is fine, they just won't sell me one!

Do you not use a DVD now, or would like to have two DVD players?

What about those that dont want a DVD player when they already have one or simply dont watch DVDs, like me? There is surely more loss of sales from people not wanting to pay for items they wont use than those not wanting to pay for an item that doesnt try to do everything.

What about those that just want Blu-ray? Should Apple make 3 AppleTVs to suit everyones needs? I dont think so.

Id say the best method is to use the USB port to have an additional device that stacks the AppleTV with an optical drive. But does it go on bottom so inserting discs is tough or does it go on the top but with some sort of thick spacer so that the top can still dissipate heat effectively?

How much will this cost? Apple likes to do thin and we know that thin, slot-loading drives are more expensive. Even fat tray-loading drives of any quality are more expensive than the entire Blu-ray player you can by these days. So you are looking at an additional price likely close to the cost of a PS3, which can work on little to no HW profit since its a game console first-and-foremost, likely making up loses from game development licenses and sales kickbacks.

How does this affect Apples push for making digital downloads a viable market? Wouldnt an ODD go against model while also increasing the devices price, while also pushing away more buyers who simply dont want another DVD or Blu-ray player in their entertainment center?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #149 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you not use a DVD now, or would like to have two DVD players?

Nah, I have one, but I wanted to move it another room. That opened the door to getting another DVD player, or something more useful that could play my existing collection, music, etc. Apple fit the bill, but couldn't play the existing stuff so I didn't want to have two devices, which uses another mode on the receiver which adds more programming to the remote, etc. I ended up using an old box, put window's media center on it and it works for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What about those that dont want a DVD player when they already have one or simply dont watch DVDs, like me? There is surely more loss of sales from people not wanting to pay for items they wont use than those not wanting to pay for an item that doesnt try to do everything.

I don't know enough about the general Apple TV market to comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What about those that just want Blu-ray? Should Apple make 3 AppleTVs to suit everyones needs? I dont think so.

Depends on their goals, again, I don't know enough to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Id say the best method is to use the USB port to have an additional device that stacks the AppleTV with an optical drive. But does it go on bottom so inserting discs is tough or does it go on the top but with some sort of thick spacer so that the top can still dissipate heat effectively?

I think that would work. The USB drive could also be a thumbdisk, etc. Just had a guy at the office buy a device that only plays videos off of usb drives. I didn't even realize there would be a market big enough to warrant the R&D effort for something so limited!


Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How does this affect Apples push for making digital downloads a viable market? Wouldnt an ODD go against model while also increasing the devices price, while also pushing away more buyers who simply dont want another DVD or Blu-ray player in their entertainment center?

I use Netflix's digital downloads in Window's Media Center, mainly because it is a lot cheaper than iTunes and already included in the plan I use for rental DVD's. Purely my opinion, but I believe something than can do both physical media and digital is the way to converge the market. They can do only digital, which is fine, but to really help people move over, you have bridge the chasm of where most are at now, DVD/Blu-Ray, to the digital downloads. iTunes even does it, I can rip my existing collection, and add to it by purchasing digital music. My opinion anyway...
post #150 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

I use Netflix's digital downloads in Window's Media Center, mainly because it is a lot cheaper than iTunes and already included in the plan I use for rental DVD's. Purely my opinion, but I believe something than can do both physical media and digital is the way to converge the market. They can do only digital, which is fine, but to really help people move over, you have bridge the chasm of where most are at now, DVD/Blu-Ray, to the digital downloads. iTunes even does it, I can rip my existing collection, and add to it by purchasing digital music. My opinion anyway...

It doesn’t sound like you know much about the AppleTV or that it would fit your needs, regardless of the HW or price. It’s an extension of your iTunes and made to work like a giant iPod.

If you can’t put the files into iTunes then you can’t get them on your AppleTV. There is no direct file access. i think it’s great for renting movies, buying missed TV shows and playing music, but games consoles and other media extenders have caught up to the AppleTV since its intro in March 2007 and in many ways surpassed it.

PS: Welcome to the forums.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #151 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Quarter View Post

ATTENTION. I've checked out all news reports on 4G iPhone written in Korean. NO articles have reported the following:

1. Removable battery
2. Dual core processor
3. Release to the market in April
4. AMOLED display

All articles that I've read said 4G iPhone would have battery of twice-improved capacity and be released to the market in JUNE after 4G iPhone for "test" will come to Korea. According to those reports in Korean language, KT said, it is possible for the 4G version to be released to the market in August because of the remaining stock of 3GS, but KT will try to introduce it as early as in June. One big feature of 4G version is it supports "screen conversation (?)" using a front camera. Those are the only things reported regarding 4G iPhone. I think the above article in Korea Times is simply wrong about the above four things because there is no other report in Korean claiming them, and the writer of the article must have written it based on those other reports in Korean.

Thanks for that
post #152 of 153
faster processor, RFID, 5 megapixel camera, led flash and 64+gigs are all welcome additions and would finally earn a tradeup from my iPod touch. I am satisfied with the current screen.
post #153 of 153
I think most people have no ability to take things apart and put them together. Not that it's hard, they're just lazy, stupid, excuse makers, robots, etc.

I've taken apart iPhones and it's not hard at all. It's not like working on a car. You pop the back off, take the battery out, put in new battery, pop the back back on. Done in 10 mins. You can find batteries on ebay. You can find a guid on how to do this here.

I took my 2006 Macbook apart last week because the HDD failed. Sure the HDD is user replaceable, but I wanted to see what was inside my non-warrantied machine. After about 15mins and 45 random screw sizes I had the keyboard/trackpad fully removed. I then took the air compressor and blew off the logic board, it was full of dust and debris. Then, took out my original 80GB Seagate Momentus 5400.1 and replaced it with a 250GB Seagate Momentus 5400.5 that I removed from a USB external drive (I saved the USB to SATA adapter from the external drive). Put it back together, installed system, and tida it works like new.


Point is. Educate yourself on the things you own or want to own. Start learning how to be independent and less dependent to get your problems solved. It's cheaper, you'll learn a lot, and it feels good to know how to solve your own problems.


I do have to also say though. Considering how EASY it is to change a battery, I don't know why they don't just do it right there at the Apple Store. Maybe their not as "genius" as I thought.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report