or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel promotion allegedly reveals Core i5-based MacBook Pro

Intel promotion allegedly reveals Core i5-based MacBook Pro

post #1 of 109
An e-mail sent to members of Intel's Retail Edge promotional program highlight a forthcoming MacBook Pro from Apple sporting a new Core i5 processor, AppleInsider can confirm.

The promotion was included in an e-mail sent out to members of the Intel Retail Edge Program. It reads: "January Prize Draw: Win a MacBook Pro. Pass this month's trainings for 2 chances to win one of 2 MacBook Pro laptops with the accelerated response of an Intel Core i5 processor."

Currently, the top MacBook Pro has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

The Intel Retail Edge Program allows retail employees who sell Intel products to access technical knowledge and sales tips, which allows them to earn "chips" which can be exchanged for products. The program also offers occasional contests and giveaways. It was also sent to Spanish members of the retail program.

Last week at CES, Intel formally introduced its new line of processors, which included the new Core i3, i5 and i7 chips. The mobile Core i5 is considered to be a likely candidate for a coming MacBook Pro refresh.

The new processors are set to improve upon the previous line of Intel's Core 2 Duo chips, which have been utilized in versions of Apple's new MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac. Apple uses the mobile variants of Intel's desktop chips for those systems, meaning machines with chips based on the Arrandale architecture could arrive soon.

Apple is expected to host an event Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco to introduce new products. While most speculation has centered around a tablet being unveiled at the event, Apple could also use it as an opportunity to refresh its MacBook Pro line.

Currently, Apple uses Nvidia chipsets with its Mac lineup. But the architectural changes through Arrandale -- along with an ongoing lawsuit that has forced Nvidia to halt the development of future chipsets -- could make it difficult for Apple to continue with Nvidia.

Earlier this month, the next-gen MacBook Pro chip candidates were benchmarked and found to have better performance than their Core 2 Duo predecessors without a negative impact on battery life. The Arrandale mobile processors employ a 32nm Westmere core paired with a 45nm chipset. The new 35nm chips offer improved speed, better graphics, lower power consumption, and allow motherboards to become smaller.

post #2 of 109
"Huge mistake" -- I wouldn't go that far. Everyone knows that MacBook Pros will be getting a Core i3/i5 refresh. So what if it leaked.

It's not as though someone leaked specs/images of the Tablet -- that would be a "huge mistake"
post #3 of 109
Why should Intel have a picture of an old MacBook Pro 15" ?

post #4 of 109
It looks to me like a stock image of a notebook that just happens to be a MacBook Pro. Probably just a graphic arts team putting together an image without even really knowing what they were looking at.
post #5 of 109
yeah, it's time to refresh the Macbook Pro line, everyone knows it. Last time was about half year ago and Apple's refreshed this line twice a year, so it can't be the big attraction of the event, but it's possible that SJ let the "and one more thing" message with the tablet at the end... it's almost like a tv show
post #6 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

It looks to me like a stock image of a notebook that just happens to be a MacBook Pro. Probably just a graphic arts team putting together an image without even really knowing what they were looking at.

the desktop background is the leopard aurora, not the snow leopard aurora, so i agree with you...

if they were to release new macbook pros they'd come with snow leopard...
post #7 of 109
This.

It's a certainty that the i5/i7 mobile chips will be in the new MBP, and that that is coming very soon.

As far as I can see the only "unknowns" are what form the graphics subsystem will take (I'd love to see ATIs mobile 5xxx series in there), and if there'll be any design changes (doubt it).
post #8 of 109
The very next computer I will consider purchasing will be something from the i3/i5 family. Hopefully Apple gets on the ball and lets that be a Mac Book Pro.
post #9 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

the desktop background is the leopard aurora, not the snow leopard aurora, so i agree with you...

OMG!! I never noticed they were different...I had to check it out personally, and by god you're right...it is different than snow leopard!!
post #10 of 109
If you zoom in you can see it's an old MBP
post #11 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedWine View Post

If you zoom in you can see it's an old MBP

it has a trackpad button for a start... looks like my old faithful one.
post #12 of 109
Make my day, Apple... I want Intel Core i5 and Blu-ray.
mactoids.com  work smarter
mac os x tips and imac history
mactoids.com  work smarter
mac os x tips and imac history
post #13 of 109
Partners are the bane of Apple's super-tight info bubble.

They're probably thrilled to own the maker of the chip that'll end up in "The Tablet" - PA Semi.
27" iMac | 17" MacBook Pro | 64GB iPad Wifi+3G | 16GB Verizon iPhone 4
27" iMac | 17" MacBook Pro | 64GB iPad Wifi+3G | 16GB Verizon iPhone 4
post #14 of 109
We know Apple is going to refresh their computers with newer Intel processors, that's really no big deal.

Hopefully Apple will consider these improvements to their MacBook Pro line:

1: A SD slot that keeps the SD card flush mounted, with spring release. So one can keep it in there and not have it snap off or ruined like with the present exposed slots.

2: Access the faster speeds of the new SDXC cards coming out, so we can boot off the (up to) 2TB SD cards. (speed is about twice of a 7,200 RPM hard drive)

3: Do something about the glare and reflections; better grade of glass, anti-glare film application in the stores or matte options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

4: Hard drive and RAM user removable.

5: Water-resistant keyboards for crying out loud!
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #15 of 109
Can't wait to get my hands on an i5 15'MBP with 500gb HD and 8gb RAM. Would prefer a 13' i5 500gb/8gb but doesn't look like Apple will high end the 13' model. I hope I'm wrong.

Was going to buy a current one until these rumors surfaced.

[edit: i7= even better]
post #16 of 109
I sure as HELL dont want a Intel GPU in my Macbook Pro!

I know that they can still do the Intel chipset with a Nvidia GPU, but can they do the SLI (9400 + 9600) like the current Generation?
post #17 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoids View Post

Make my day, Apple... I want Intel Core i5 and Blu-ray.

No BlueRay, it's very twitchy, I'm on my second BlueRay machine already.

The BR-DVD's are extremely sensitive, develop unseen cracks and then refuse to play. Most likely has to do with the fine detail required on the disks and the laser mechanics etc. giving it little room for error, can't handle temperature changes, user stress etc.

Also there is DRM baggage associated with BlueRay that is twitchy as well, Sony could just brick the BlueRay drive if the DRM is broken. A lawsuit against Sony is in the works for PS3's BlueRays were bricked over a update, it's suspected the DRM was broken or machines id codes or something was stolen, so to protect the content, PS3's were bricked.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Macbook Pro's have a separate powered Superdrive as a paid option, figuring people would rather use the SD slot instead.

But Apple has to increase the higher access speed to the SD slot for the new SDXC cards coming.

Imagine booting off the SDXC card FASTER than a 7,200 RPM hard drive! Yep, it's that fast.
post #18 of 109
I'm hitting the snooze button on this one...
post #19 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

3: Do something about the glare and reflections; better grade of glass, anti-glare film application in the stores or matte options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

Please Apple give us a MATTE option across the entire MacBook Pro line from the start (including 13" models)!!!!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post

Please Apple give us a MATTE option across the entire MacBook Pro line from the start (including 13" models)!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, however LCD makers like making glossy because it eliminates a matte film application step, also the rest of the PC industry (say cheap) is doing it too, which makes the volume for matte applied screens rather low.

That's why any of the few matte screens Apple uses are a costly extra.

Visit MacMatte.com to add your opinion to the online petition for matte screens (or a solution to the glare and reflections)
post #21 of 109
Quote:

1: A SD slot that keeps the SD card flush mounted, with spring release. So one can keep it in there and not have it snap off or ruined like with the present exposed slots.

2: Access the faster speeds of the new SDXC cards coming out, so we can boot off the (up to) 2TB SD cards. (speed is about twice of a 7,200 RPM hard drive)

There is enough space in the iMac for a spring-loaded SD card slot, but definitely not in the 13in MBP and possibly even the 15in MBP.

As for SDXC compatibility, memory card makers have been slow in introducing these card due to the end of the digital camera megapixel race.http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...pixel-race.ars

Quote:

I believe both RAM modules and HDDs are use removable in the current generation of MBP, although the procedures were slightly simpler in MBPs with removable batteries.
post #22 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrnight View Post

I sure as HELL dont want a Intel GPU in my Macbook Pro!

I know that they can still do the Intel chipset with a Nvidia GPU, but can they do the SLI (9400 + 9600) like the current Generation?

But Intel IGPs are useful for conserving battery life and higher end MBPs all come with discrete GPUs (so no need for a powerful IGP). Hopefully, the motherboard space saved by Arrandale will allow Apple to add a discrete GPU to lower end MBPs.

Arrandale's IGPs also support hybrid SLI and crossfire, if only Apple would add proper support for dynamic and automatic switching between the IGP and the discrete GPU.
post #23 of 109
Quote:

Imagine booting off the SDXC card FASTER than a 7,200 RPM hard drive! Yep, it's that fast.

Probably faster than this huh? http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...product_id=190
Yeah notebook computers are just monsters when it comes to SATA bandwidth...
post #24 of 109
I can sense it now. Steve Jobs will begin the keynote with "So today we're going to talk about portables" and he will talk about how sales are up, etc. Then he will announce the new MacBookPro and announce they are dropping the MacBook. Then when we think all is over, he will say....oh...and one more thing.... .....and announce the iSlate and everyone will go
post #25 of 109
dell already have i7 in the studio 15" so I think the MBP could be i7 too.
post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

I'm hitting the snooze button on this one...

Yep, me too.
post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

dell already have i7 in the studio 15" so I think the MBP could be i7 too.

Maybe they will have a high end Macbook Pro bto with a core i7, they did it with the iMac.
post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone00 View Post

There is enough space in the iMac for a spring-loaded SD card slot, but definitely not in the 13in MBP and possibly even the 15in MBP.

In the current machines sure, but Apple designs the machines and can allocate the space, which is only a tiny amount actually.

Quote:
As for SDXC compatibility, memory card makers have been slow in introducing these card due to the end of the digital camera megapixel race.http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...pixel-race.ars

I'll check out the link, thanks. But SDXC is designed for video, due to it's speed and large storage capacity.

Quote:
I believe both RAM modules and HDDs are use removable in the current generation of MBP, although the procedures were slightly simpler in MBPs with removable batteries.

No Apple closed up the machines with the new battery. Of course you can open it, just voids your warranty.
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I can sense it now. Steve Jobs will begin the keynote with "So today we're going to talk about portables" and he will talk about how sales are up, etc. Then he will announce the new MacBookPro and announce they are dropping the MacBook. Then when we think all is over, he will say....oh...and one more thing.... .....and announce the iSlate and everyone will go

Sounds like that's the plan.

And then the shock comes as the crowd realizes that Apple is showing the current OS X UI the door as the new iPhone/ISlate OS will become the norm. Bootcamp and Windows will be installed on millions of Mac's within a month...

*shudders at the thought*
post #30 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrigel View Post

Probably faster than this huh? http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...product_id=190
Yeah notebook computers are just monsters when it comes to SATA bandwidth...

Get real, very few people are going to tote around a RAID 0 set of SSD's with their notebook.

Also even if Apple put something like that in their laptops, there is a hardware risk with RAID 0, one SSD goes down you lose all data.

SDXC with up to 2TB and the higher speed of current hard drives would make a great alternate boot method, Time Machine drive or bootable clone in MacBook Pro's.

I do suspect Apple will have duo, SSD and hard drive options in the new MacBook Pro's.
post #31 of 109
Quote:

Indeed, I just bought a new Canon T1i and only got a 20MB/s SDHC card instead of the 30MB/s available because the faster ones cost almost twice as much and the camera doesn't need it. I can already take 9+ 15.1Mp RAW shots in rapid succession (2-3 a second) or record in HD video straight to the card. And 15.1Mp pushes the limit of physics for an APS-C sensor size.

Unless you get cheaper full-frame sensors in mid-range cameras and push up the sensor size in the smaller cameras, more megapixels just means more grainy noise and image size with zero increase in quality.
post #32 of 109
Quote:

Get real, very few people are going to tote around a RAID 0 set of SSD's with their notebook.

Also even if Apple put something like that in their laptops, there is a hardware risk with RAID 0, one SSD goes down you lose all data.

SDXC with up to 2TB and the higher speed of current hard drives would make a great alternate boot method, Time Machine drive or bootable clone in MacBook Pro's.

I do suspect Apple will have duo, SSD and hard drive options in the new MacBook Pro's.

2TB SDXC cards wont be hitting the market for quite sometime. The best you can get in the near term is 64 GB. By the time they hit their theoretical max of 2 TB, we will be talking about the next iteration of SD cards. SDXC support should be there though, since that is what the new cards are going to be.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #33 of 109
If I got everything I wanted in the macbook pro refresh, it would include:
  1. Matte display option for the 13" macbook pro
  2. The new Intel CPU's.
  3. A gentler edge on the palm rest.
  4. Discrete graphics on the 13" macbook pro
These are ordered by importance to me. That's about it. They are really very cool machines and I can't wait to get into OSX. My current laptop, a thinkpad, has 2 major problems: Windows and battery life....
post #34 of 109
Quote:

Although that's something of a moving target. As chipsets become more integrated, additional space would at least potentially open up.
post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Although that's something of a moving target. As chipsets become more integrated, additional space would at least potentially open up.

I would prefer if Apple would use the additional space freed for a discrete GPU/stream processor, instead of an improved SD slot.
post #36 of 109
Quote:

No Apple closed up the machines with the new battery. Of course you can open it, just voids your warranty.

Are you sure about that? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419

In fact, at the end of the second knowledge base article, Apple mentioned this:
Quote:
You can also find the steps you need to perform to install your hard drive on Page 37 of your MacBook Pro User Guide. For information about installing Mac OS X and bundled applications, see "Reinstalling the Software That Came with Your MacBook Pro" on page 62.
post #37 of 109
Quote:

5: Water-resistant keyboards for crying out loud!

Completely agree on 1. I can't believe that design would have got through when SJ was on watch - it just needs to be how the PCMCIA slot was in the TiBooks. I keep meaning to dig out an old 512MB RS-MMC I've got but I suspect it'll be far to slow and small to be of much use.

4. They are user removable -it's described in the manual. Admittedly not as easy as it was on earlier models but still a vast improvement on trying to change the HDD on a clamshell iBook! :-) Given that you're not likely to do it more than twice in a laptop's life it's not a big issue imho.

5. indeed. In other areas of electronics I carry on my person waterproofing/dustproofing is a key selling point for me. Watches, cameras etc. I wish Apple would make progress in this area. I want to use my gear when I need to not only when the weather/circumstances dictate.
post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Especially with 7M MacBooks selling in 2009 I'm sure they'll want to major on this.

I don't see the MacBook being dropped just yet though. Are we at a point where consumers, prosumers and professions have broadly the same laptop yet? The MacBook will likely become more something schools buy and then later it'll be quietly dropped.
post #39 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post

Maybe they will have a high end Macbook Pro bto with a core i7, they did it with the iMac.

That was my first thought as well.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #40 of 109
As for "One more thing."

Please, please, please fix the horrid interface to the 30" Cinema Display via the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adaptor. I have yet to find one person who has not had a horror story about trying to keep the current line up of the MBP unibody series properly connected to the 30" Cinema Display without noise, distortion or other weirdness occurring on a regular basis. As I already own two of these displays (one at my office, one at my home), I am stuck in upgrade limbo with my trusty early 2006 MBP 17 C2D until this is resolved.

If anyone knows of a workaround or fix, I am all ears!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel promotion allegedly reveals Core i5-based MacBook Pro