or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'

ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'

post #1 of 156
Clues on Apple's forthcoming tablet continue to surface as the device is expected to debut this month, with a new report referring to the device as an "iPhone on steroids."

Citing a close contact within Apple, Boy Genius Report on Wednesday issued a report with alleged new details and specifics on Apple's 10-inch touchscreen device. The source said the device has an internal model number of K48AP and sports an "incredibly fast" ARM-based processor.

What kind of ARM chip remains unknown, though many have speculated that the reference Cortex-A9 design would be a likely candidate for any new hardware. However, one analyst recently claimed that the device would sport a Cortex-A8-based chip with a speed of about 1GHz.

In Wednesday's report, the source also said that the tablet has multi-touch gestures that are "out of control," and the device runs the on the iPhone kernel. There hasn't been an update to the iPhone OS in some time, the tipster claimed, because the new build has too many tablet-related references that "Apple obviously didn't want to leak."

While Boy Genius Report has a respectable track record in forecasting iPhone-related announcements tied to its AT&T sources, its predictions pertaining to Apple have often fallen off the mark. Last year the site incorrectly indicated iTunes 9 would add Blu-ray support and said Apple would create a social media consolidation application, both times citing a "reliable" source.

Wednesday's new details are bolstered by a report from earlier this month that claimed a new iPhone 4.0 beta SDK includes a "simulator" that aims to make it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions. Some developers have allegedly been asked to prepare full-screen demos of their iPhone software for a demo later this month.

Reports have indicated that Apple is planning an event on Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco to unveil its tablet device. Last July, AppleInsider first reported that the device would see an early 2010 debut, and the hardware would be akin to a large iPhone or iPod touch.
post #2 of 156
Yes, yes!!

Great time to be an iPhone Developer with 1 year of experience.
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
post #3 of 156
So the name of Apple's 'iPhone on Steroids' Tablet, coming in two versions, is going to be...

"The Mark McGwire 'Out of the Park' and 'Out of the Park - Pro' Pad!"

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #4 of 156
i'm more excited for v4.0 of the software than i am for a 10" iPhone on steroids.
post #5 of 156

Each next troll at AI calls it "iPhone on Steroids"

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #6 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In Wednesday's report, the source also said that the tablet has multi-touch gestures that are "out of control," and the device runs the on the iPhone kernel.

Out of control? That doesn't sound good.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #7 of 156
Quote:
multi-touch gestures that are "out of control,"

In a good sense, i e they are just magnificent or in a bad way, i e does not work?

Strange way of putting it. If there is something I don't think Apple does ever in any lifetime is to release a non working product!
post #8 of 156
Quote:
The tablet’s multi-touch gestures are “out of control.”

That's actually not a desirable feature :-p.

Two weeks to go until we find out. So about ten days until solid leaks start occurring.
post #9 of 156
steroids? we all need more apple crack! Jan 27th can't come soon enough!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #10 of 156
As in "off the hook, yo!"

or

as in "one false swipe and two trains derail halfway across the world"?
post #11 of 156
I say that Steve or whoever, does the announcement, and at sometime, loads, launches, Ms. Packman, Asteroids or some other game from the 70's and plays it!

A 10" screen wouldn't be much smaller then the screens on the bar games from back then.

A game tablet might be a VERY BIG part of the success of this thing. If marketed that way, just think of the audience it will have. The GAMERS will finally get what they want, or at least have to shut the fick up about Apple not being game user friendly!

So how many iPhones have been sold?

How many games have downloaded to iPhones / iPod Touches?

That's how many iSlate or iGame Boards will be sold in a very short period of time.

Yes, you heard it first here

Skip
post #12 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Out of control? That doesn't sound good.

Oui.

post #13 of 156
Interesting rumor...

Apple seems to bet on the iPhone / App Store momentum.

More thoughts on my blog.
post #14 of 156
Too bad the regular iPhone can't use steroids to make reliable phone calls and get good data speeds in some markets.
post #15 of 156
I was suspicious of the lack of Iphone OS updates, it was odd. Now it is coming all together.
post #16 of 156
Dual A9's and iPhone OS 4. Absolutely. Haven't we done this already?
post #17 of 156
Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.
post #18 of 156
Otherwise known to Apple as a 10" touchscreen Mac.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #19 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i'm more excited for v4.0 of the software than i am for a 10" iPhone on steroids.

Same here
post #20 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Dual A9's and iPhone OS 4. Absolutely. Haven't we done this already?

It better be a dual A9, then again I am hesitant to by rev A product from Apple due to being burnt numerous times in the past
post #21 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.

i'm expecting a more robust OS than the iPhone, yet not resembling Leopard from a GUI perspective. A true hybrid of the two is in order. Microsoft has shown us time and again that simply taking a stylus / pointer to your existing desktop OS doesn't work.
post #22 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Same here

I'm hoping for some multi-tasking goodness, I already carry my charger everyday to work so why not
post #23 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post

It better be a dual A9, then again I am hesitant to by rev A product from Apple due to being burnt numerous times in the past

Apple does not release products unless/until they are perfect in every way.

You must be mistaken.
post #24 of 156
Dual A9 processor + video conferencing + multi-tasking + solid input system + new tablet OS = Instant purchase
post #25 of 156
I'm not gonna believe it until I see elevator photos ...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #26 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Too bad the regular iPhone can't use steroids to make reliable phone calls and get good data speeds in some markets.

good thing you don't have to worry about that in houston
La vendetta migliore é il perdono
La vendetta migliore é il perdono
post #27 of 156
Quote:

Dual A9 processor + video conferencing + multi-tasking + solid input system + new tablet OS = Instant purchase

Definitely think that dual-core ARM products and iPhone OS 4 will herald the introduction of multitasking APIs, both for tablet use and iPhone use.

The latter would present background capability with a UI functionality akin to the iPod UI when it is running in the background.

The former would allow apps to run in full UI mode at the same time, like standard desktop operating systems. Expect a bigger window border / drag-tab, resizeability, etc. Or maybe they'll be full-screen, and the tablet will have a means to swap running applications. It will be interesting to see what Apple does bring to the table later this month.

I also expect iPhone OS 4 to herald the emergence of widgets, because I don't expect the iSlate to use the iPhone springboard to launch applications, but to have a more workspacey type UI where you can drop widgets and application icons as you wish. These might be iSlate only, but Android has shown that it's nice to have widgets on your phone, so they might be available there as well.
post #28 of 156
Quote:

OH NO!!!

Then you could run what software you liked, instead of what Apple tells you you can run.

And Apple can't make a cut of the proceeds neither with your suggestion!

OH we can't have that, no frigging way!!!
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #29 of 156
Quote:

Given the PA Semi team acquisition and the particular license Apple has for Imagination Technologies, it's extremely, extremely likely that whatever ARM chips they are using are going to be customised. Thus there won't really be any direct comparison of their chip to A8 or A9. They are also rumoured to be going multi-core, which would make it even harder to compare.

So IMO it seems kind of silly to care about A8 versus A9 in that scenario. Apple will focus on the performance and forget about whatever numbers are on the side of the chips. Only if they use unmodified chips will it really matter.
post #30 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Apple does not release products unless/until they are perfect in every way.

You must be mistaken.

Well they're mostly perfect, my problems stem from build quality. For example
1) First AL powerbooks had screen deficiencies in the form of white spots which Apple has acknowledged. Got a new screen for free thank goodness.
2) First nano material was very prone to scratches, which Apple acknowledged by settling a class action lawsuit and the inclusion of little black pouches with shipping models.
3) Though solidly build, the $200 price drop of the first iPhone a couple months after release was very unexpected and uncharacteristic of Apple leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. And that's just what I personally experienced.

Plus we all heard about the Macbook Air's hinge problem, and the 27" iMac's screen issues. I must admit they ususally solve these issues by rev B, which is probably when I will consider picking up a tablet, if it even exists
post #31 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

OH NO!!!

Then you could run what software you liked, instead of what Apple tells you you can run.

And Apple can't make a cut of the proceeds neither with your suggestion!

OH we can't have that, no frigging way!!!

How many times have cursor based operating systems been ported to a tablet? How many of those tablets have enjoyed wild success?

I'd rather have apps that work properly and are easy to use on a tablet than ones that make me want to pull my hair out after a while. Even if that means I am locked into the App Store.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #32 of 156
Quote:

First off either you can't read for content or simple don't understand the words, but the article specifically said the unit had the "iPhone Kernel". That leaves a huge amount of room for a different user interface.

Second this is an ARM based device. As such it would be foolish to in anyway associate it with the i86 world. It would confuse customers and lead to frustration.

Third how does iPhone OS limit the usefulness of an item that gas never been on the market before? For the average consummer iPhone and app store have been a big win.

In any event please wait until the device debuts before condemning it!!!!

Dave
post #33 of 156
iRoid!! Better than iSlate i guess.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #34 of 156
Again, I have no idea why almost everyone presumes that the Tablet will sport iPhone software? I would love someone to bet for a watered down (but proper) Mac OS!
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
post #35 of 156
iphone OS on a fast ARM will certainly be like the iphone on steroids but that's what they say about Google's Nexus One running on a 1GHz Snapdragon and they get it inside a mobile phone form factor.

It won't be that impressive in the same way that running OS 9 on a fast Mac isn't impressive.

It comes down to what they do with it and how much they want for it.
post #36 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Definitely think that dual-core ARM products and iPhone OS 4 will herald the introduction of multitasking APIs, both for tablet use and iPhone use.

The latter would present background capability with a UI functionality akin to the iPod UI when it is running in the background.

The former would allow apps to run in full UI mode at the same time, like standard desktop operating systems. Expect a bigger window border / drag-tab, resizeability, etc. Or maybe they'll be full-screen, and the tablet will have a means to swap running applications. It will be interesting to see what Apple does bring to the table later this month.

I also expect iPhone OS 4 to herald the emergence of widgets, because I don't expect the iSlate to use the iPhone springboard to launch applications, but to have a more workspacey type UI where you can drop widgets and application icons as you wish. These might be iSlate only, but Android has shown that it's nice to have widgets on your phone, so they might be available there as well.

You raise some good points, and speaking of customizable widgets, I think that the search page on iPhone 3.0 is a wasted opportunity. It populates said page after a query is typed in, but what would be cool is if it had a customizable stack of info like weather, stocks, messages, upcoming calender appointments, or facebook or twitter functionality to name a few. It would provide an at a glance portal to what you want to see without opening up apps. The search could remain of the page with the results overlaying the info screen. \
post #37 of 156
Quote:

You don't actually know that, thought. The iPhone OS is a very capable OS X derivation and "iPhone on steroids" OS is clearly going to be tailored for the additional screen space and power of a tablet. It seems pretty likely that Apple will have positioned some of its apps to make use of it, just as they did for Mail, Safari and iTunes for the iPhone.

If a tablet can do email, browsing, media playback and management, calendaring, plus the iWork and/or the iLife suite, that covers a lot of ground. If it can do all those things in a very intuitive, very pleasurable way, then that seems pretty useful and desirable to me. It's not hard to imagine that part of the "on steroids" bit are things like more elaborated file management, multitasking, and user definable settings, so it may be a a mistake to draw too hard and fast a line between "real" OS X and an 'iPhone on steroids."

And if there are specific apps that run on OS X that I'd like to be able to have, it seems pretty clear that developers are going to be falling all over themselves to get additional functionality onto this thing. And what better way to distinguish yourself from the iPhone developing hoards than to write apps that take full advantage of the more capable hardware to give you "real" computing power?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #38 of 156
I don't have a problem with 'out of control' - how many times are things 'out of this world' cool? - maybe the guy surfs...

Can't wait!
post #39 of 156
I'm not one bit surprised.

iPhone OS "extended" + additional hardware specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
post #40 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How many times have cursor based operating systems been ported to a tablet? How many of those tablets have enjoyed wild success?

I'd rather have apps that work properly and are easy to use on a tablet than ones that make me want to pull my hair out after a while. Even if that means I am locked into the App Store.

Yes, but how about the easy UI AND the choice to run what apps you want? from wherever you want?

We can have cake and eat it too, it's just Apple isn't going to allow it, unless you jailbreak your iSlate and shut yourself out of any future updates/App Store.

One has to ask themselves, why hasn't any of the many great iPhone apps made it to OS X?

Why hasn't Apple made a DA that runs the same Apps as the iPhone so you can use the same programs on your Mac and your iPhone?

Apple has made duo compilers before, for PPC and Intel, one click compiles for either, so it's no sweat for them and the App developers.

It's because Apple is going to a closed UI for the masses, and OS X as we know it will be "for Pro's only" and eventually discontinued from lack of software availability in favor of the new closed iSlate/iPhone UI.

It's the future and it's closed.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'