or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen Apple iPhone rumored to have Magic Mouse-like touch panel

Next-gen Apple iPhone rumored to have Magic Mouse-like touch panel

post #1 of 63
Apple will introduce a new iPhone in 2010 that will employ a touch-sensitive plastic back casing similar to the one used on the company's new Magic Mouse, one analyst has said.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Robert Chen with Goldman Sachs Group Inc. said the new iPhone will go into production as early as April, and will be available to customers in June or July. He said the plastic back panel of the phone could have a touch-sensitive solid shell, much like on the Magic Mouse.

Indeed, Apple in recent years has described the benefits of touch-sensitive enclosures for future handheld devices in patent filings like the one made in July of 2006 entitled: "Electronic Device Having Display and Surrounding Touch Sensitive Bezel for User Interface and Control."

The new hardware could also include an updated version of the iPhone operating system, Chen said.

"Apples going to put a lot of innovation, not just on the hardware, but also on the software of the new iPhone," he told Bloomberg.

Chen's predictions are more in line with conventional thinking than a report from earlier this week, in which executives at a South Korean wireless provider claimed a fourth-generation iPhone could see a limited debut in April with a dual-core processor and potentially a removable battery.

Contrary to that rumor, Apple typically announces new iPhone hardware at its annual Worldwide Developer's Conference. It is believed Apple could hold that event starting June 28, coinciding with Chen's claims of a June or July debut for the new iPhone.

The Magic Mouse, introduced in October, lacks any physical buttons on its solid acrylic surface. It allows multi-touch controls that are closer to that of a MacBook trackpad, allowing secondary clicks and finger-based gestures.

The new hardware accomplishes this feat with capacitive touch sensors that cover nearly the entire surface of the hardware. This allows the aluminum base to be covered by a smooth multi-touch panel. The Magic Mouse had a successful debut, doubling Apple's share of the mouse market in just 8 weeks.

It should be noted that several patent filings from Apple that preceded the Magic Mouse's introduction hinted a the direction the Cupertino-based company would take its future mice designs, like this one filed in March of 2006 and another one filed 8 months later.

As for an update to the iPhone software, recent rumors have said that a new software development kit for iPhone OS 4.0 could be revealed later this month. It was said that the new kit includes a "simulator" that allows developers to adapt their iPhone applications for different screen sizes and resolutions.

This week, one rumor claimed there has been a lack of updates to the current iPhone OS because the new build has multiple references to Apple's forthcoming tablet device that the company did not want to leak. Reports have said Apple will unveil the tablet at a media event to showcase new hardware scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.
post #2 of 63
We have taken Snow Leopard CalDAV into production lately and there are much to be done in this field! It works but more can work better with the iPhone!

A must if Apple wan't to embark companies. And they should - many companies would be happy if they tried apples solutions broader!
post #3 of 63
If this rumor is true, it had better be perfect on how not to interpret accidental inputs. I tend to hold my phone using my index finger for balance and don't want that finger to activate a feature when on a call. If they do it, it better be done right. Even Apple makes mistakes sometimes.
post #4 of 63
I highly doubt that the iphone will have a touch sensitive backing...its not a smooth concept and it would prohibit the use of cases. This is bogus information you will see.
post #5 of 63
Apple will introduce a new iPhone in 2010 that will employ a touch-sensitive plastic back casing similar to the one used on the company's new Magic Mouse, one analyst has said.

Ooooh . . . Ireland's gonna love this.
post #6 of 63
Your article states that the Magic Mouse contains no physical buttons. Your article is incorrect. The entire top shell is a physical button.
post #7 of 63
AppleInsider is really on a roll with dishing out bullshit stories. A touch-sensitive backing? How stupid can they be to believe this shit???
post #8 of 63
If you want a case on your phone, you're out of luck. Just never drop it and everything will be fine. This is just silly - or is it just a little window on the back for one handed operation? Seems unlikely.
post #9 of 63
I Don't but this one at all. Cases, finger placement?

Then again, if it's a feature that can be toggled for games and such..maybe
post #10 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I don't understand how this would be of any use. The only use I can think of is for taking self pictures, as it is difficult to do with the iPhone's camera software...but to quote apple, "there's an app for that." In fact, there's many apps that fix this with timed picture taking.
post #11 of 63
Wow! Flash, swappable battery, touch-casing, stylus. This becomes somewhat like xmas tree.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I don't understand how this would be of any use. The only use I can think of is for taking self pictures, as it is difficult to do with the iPhone's camera software...but to quote apple, "there's an app for that." In fact, there's many apps that fix this with timed picture taking.

All of you are thinking too hard. What if the backing is just to define device orientation. I realize this is what the accelerometer does, but it seems to me the most logical answer, if this idea is really true.
Apple makes products that do specific things, and do them very well. It doesn't need to be complex, it needs to "just work".
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #13 of 63
It's called misdirection, folks. Apple also files a lot of BS patents otherwise their competitors would easily guess which way they're heading.
post #14 of 63
As much of an Apple fan that I am, you have to watch the hype people, this one is for the newbies...
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ooooh . . . Ireland's gonna love this.

This is not going to happen. Even better, a touchscreen! Imagine they day they can actually make a screen touch friendly, that would be a truly amazing phone, skip.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 63
This has all the earmarks of disinformation... Avoid.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 63
I can rather imagine a touch-sensitive back casing for the tablet. at least at the edges for 2 or 3 fingers...
However, on the iPhone it could be used only as an extra feature for navigation in specific apps, and not during phone calls, of course.
But a touch-sensitive back casing eliminate the possibility of the removable battery that we don't expect anyway.

The stylus option could be useful in apps for specific areas that needs precise pointing.
post #18 of 63
Everyone has already said it, but yeah ... total BS for sure.

Analysts are the *last* people to see actual hardware, the guy said "could" not "would," and this:

"Apple’s going to put a lot of innovation, not just on the hardware, but also on the software of the new iPhone, ..." is grammatical nonsense and sounds like it was written by an ESL student.

So an analyst, with no command of the English language, who obviously isn't too bright and is generally out of the loop as it were, said something "could" be the case with the new iPhone. Wow.

Edit: Just to make the prediction ... the only way this makes any sense at all, is if it's actually the tablet that has a touch sensitive back, and even then only for the purpose of detecting the orientation, or exactly how you are holding the thing, NOT for input control. For instance if it could detect your fingers on the back of one side in a certain pattern, it would know you are holding it in your hand a certain way and thus be able to ignore your thumb on that side of the front or something like that.
post #19 of 63
Quote:

In an interview with Bloomberg, Robert Chen with Goldman Sachs Group Inc. said the new iPhone will go into production as early as April, and will be available to customers in June or July. He said the plastic back panel of the phone could have a touch-sensitive solid shell, much like on the Magic Mouse.

Indeed, Apple in recent years has described the benefits of touch-sensitive enclosures for future handheld devices in patent filings like the one made in July of 2006 entitled: "Electronic Device Having Display and Surrounding Touch Sensitive Bezel for User Interface and Control."

The new hardware could also include an updated version of the iPhone operating system, Chen said.

"Apple’s going to put a lot of innovation, not just on the hardware, but also on the software of the new iPhone," he told Bloomberg.

Chen's predictions are more in line with conventional thinking than a report from earlier this week, in which executives at a South Korean wireless provider claimed a fourth-generation iPhone could see a limited debut in April with a dual-core processor and potentially a removable battery.

Contrary to that rumor, Apple typically announces new iPhone hardware at its annual Worldwide Developer's Conference. It is believed Apple could hold that event starting June 28, coinciding with Chen's claims of a June or July debut for the new iPhone.

The Magic Mouse, introduced in October, lacks any physical buttons on its solid acrylic surface. It allows multi-touch controls that are closer to that of a MacBook trackpad, allowing secondary clicks and finger-based gestures.

The new hardware accomplishes this feat with capacitive touch sensors that cover nearly the entire surface of the hardware. This allows the aluminum base to be covered by a smooth multi-touch panel. The Magic Mouse had a successful debut, doubling Apple's share of the mouse market in just 8 weeks.

It should be noted that several patent filings from Apple that preceded the Magic Mouse's introduction hinted a the direction the Cupertino-based company would take its future mice designs, like this one filed in March of 2006 and another one filed 8 months later.

As for an update to the iPhone software, recent rumors have said that a new software development kit for iPhone OS 4.0 could be revealed later this month. It was said that the new kit includes a "simulator" that allows developers to adapt their iPhone applications for different screen sizes and resolutions.

This week, one rumor claimed there has been a lack of updates to the current iPhone OS because the new build has multiple references to Apple's forthcoming tablet device that the company did not want to leak. Reports have said Apple will unveil the tablet at a media event to showcase new hardware scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

I'm happy I didn't do the early upgrade to the 3GS... this new one sounds like it'll be much more innovative than the 3GS was. Granted my 3G is starting to show it's age, it can be pretty slow when it's full of music and apps. But the Dual-Cores are going to make the phone that much faster, and probably use less power than the faster single-core processor did in the 3GS. A camera flash will be awesome... if they could take the Camera up to 5MP and add a flash, I'd be really happy. At this point my only option when I'm out with friends is to lug around my big Canon Digital SLR... or hope for some lighting wherever we're going and try to use my phone. The 2MP camera isn't terrible... but when you look at the images full size on a computer, you start to realize just how bad the camera actually is. Video chat is a nice function, not sure how much i'll use it though. I hope 4.0 includes flashplayer but it doesn't sound like it's going to. Just give me a faster phone, with 64GB capacity, and a 5MP camera with a flash... and i'll have almost nothing left to complain about.
post #20 of 63
Quote:

The Magic Mouse is nice for scrolling, but too small for other gestures... I can't figure out why Apple doesn't just release a pad like surface (trackpad size) for it's desktops.. I would much prefer that to a Magic Mouse..
post #21 of 63
Apple really could have an impact in this area. If there is a touch sensitive casing it can be determined if the phone is being held by hand. Sensors can be placed in the car to determine where the person with the phone is seated (driver, passenger). If the car is moving and the driver is holding the phone the phone then prevents certain functions from being used. This would be a dream come true to parents with teenagers.
post #22 of 63
Pad-like device for Mac computers, it's iPhone + AirMouse app. Awesome thing. I got so used to browse web while stretching in my chaise longue...

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #23 of 63
Could have this, could have that...

The next iPhone could have Oreo cookies all over the back, but I'm not betting on that either.
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

It's called misdirection, folks. Apple also files a lot of BS patents otherwise their competitors would easily guess which way they're heading.

This is interesting. I've always been sure that Apple has leaked information as test balloons or in order to confuse/mask what they are actually working on... but... I have to admit I never thought of misinformation being used to deplete the efforts and funds of competitors... That would be truly strategic brilliance and a way to recoup losses of a failed effort.

Say Apple really looked into a particular concept. They worked it hard and concluded without a doubt that it couldn't be pulled off and/or the implementation has a subtle but brutal flaw making it a sure loser (but not necessarily an obvious one.)

Why not leak this is the direction you are going to go when you know all your competitors are copying your every move. They start pouring effort into a failed idea, not only do they spend money but they may not even have the discipline to abort the project and release the 'sure to fail' product. It makes Apple look that much better, it makes their competitors look that much worse... AND they are now even further behind on what Apple is really doing. (Much like happen to USSR and the STI (star wars)... although our leader didn't know himself star wars was as dog.... but if he did know, it certainly would have seemed like a brilliant strategic move to break the russians.)

Maybe this stuff doesn't go on.... but it's cool to think it does, especially now that the cold war is over.
post #25 of 63
Nonsense.
post #26 of 63
Quote:

In other news:

The sky may indeed look blue this summer and leaves may/could fall from the trees this autumn.
Water may very well be wet too.
post #27 of 63
Quote:

not to mention when their competitors come up with some great "new" gimmick feature and then have to pay Apple royalties.

Which Apple uses to fund the BS patent violation suits the same companies file over some other bit of nonsense.

its the circle of patent life
post #28 of 63
So we can use our phones as our mice as well? great idea. Obviously not true.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #29 of 63
Removable battery? Not in a million years!
post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

So we can use our phones as our mice as well? great idea. Obviously not true.

i almost have to wonder if someone has misunderstood. because the iphone gestures were designed hand and hand with the new trackpads and the new mouse.

and if you look at the mouse, the plastic is the top surface. not along the sides or bottom. so this notion of wrap around sensors on the iphone doesn't make a lot of sense if it is supposed to be copied from the mouse.

seems to me that someone heard something about plastic and mouse and since the only plastic on the phone is the back, made a bad leap in their logic and assumed they must mean the back casing of the phone. even though logically it doesn't make that much sense
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not to mention when their competitors come up with some great "new" gimmick feature and then have to pay Apple royalties.

Which Apple uses to fund the BS patent violation suits the same companies file over some other bit of nonsense.

its the circle of patent life

post #32 of 63
I think there is milage in the idea of the tablet having some form on input on the rear of the device, whether it's a few buttons, or more likely a small trackpad sized area (or a couple on each end) for touch input - imagine using it as a sort of "shift" key, to alter the touch input on the main screen?
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Could have this, could have that...

The next iPhone could have Oreo cookies all over the back, but I'm not betting on that either.

No, Oreo cookies is one patent they wouldn't dare infringe on.
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Removable battery? Not in a million years!

I don't know, a million years is a ling time.
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Apple really could have an impact in this area. If there is a touch sensitive casing it can be determined if the phone is being held by hand. Sensors can be placed in the car to determine where the person with the phone is seated (driver, passenger). If the car is moving and the driver is holding the phone the phone then prevents certain functions from being used. This would be a dream come true to parents with teenagers.

This idea is very good, but I don't think it is possible to put such sensors in a phone. Moreover, any feature like that is basically activated using a software. So if the user wants, it can be turned on/off at will. Thus, having such a program installed on a phone becomes pointless, as it can be turned on/off at the child's will.
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, Oreo cookies is one patent they wouldn't dare infringe on.

Thanks for dashing my hopes. If the next iPhone could have somehow magically produced Oreo cookies, I would have been first in line to buy one.

Oh well, maybe the built-in Pez dispenser rumor will still pan out.
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

All of you are thinking too hard. What if the backing is just to define device orientation. I realize this is what the accelerometer does, but it seems to me the most logical answer, if this idea is really true.
Apple makes products that do specific things, and do them very well. It doesn't need to be complex, it needs to "just work".

My thought exactly. What if rotating the phone while holding the edges results in the same behavior as now (UI "flipping") but holding it with two fingers on the back "locks" the UI when rotating the phone. If the user controlled things like number and placement of fingers, and which behavior was applied (fingers on the back lock, or fingers on the back unlock), you would get some nice customization. If overall "touch patterns" could be learned, then potentially the phone could remember the combination of a hand on the back in "holding the phone to my ear" mode, along with the touch pattern of my face and ear pressed to the phone. Almost zero chance of any other situation even remotely matching that front and back touch pattern, which could then safely be used to auto answer the phone. Phone rings, you look at it who is calling, decide you want to answer and put the phone to your ear, phone answers. Sweet.
Add three or four other subtle functions like that and a touch enabled back becomes useful. I doubt they would make a back that mimics the function of a Magic mouse or the screen, but as an adjunct input it could be cool.

Gordon
post #38 of 63
Well, I believe we will see some interesting new features on the hardware for the new 4th gen iphone.
What the hell does Apple care about the accessory makers when it comes to the design of Apple products? They are a nice afterthought, a nice way to make some extra licensing money, but that's it.
post #39 of 63
Quote:

They also do it to catch potential feature-leakers. As for the patents, if they are actually doable at some point then they've covered themselves and can sick their lawyers on potential violators.

I must admit, I've a hard time seeing the point of a touch sensitive back. I'd be concerned about accidentally triggering something I didn't want to happen. But, hey, but what do I know about it?

All the rumors and conjecture sure are fun!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Thanks for dashing my hopes. If the next iPhone could have somehow magically produced Oreo cookies, I would have been first in line to buy one.

Oh well, maybe the built-in Pez dispenser rumor will still pan out.

All that crap is bad for your teeth. iDrill anyone?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen Apple iPhone rumored to have Magic Mouse-like touch panel