or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Nexus One first week sales estimated at disappointing 20K

Google Nexus One first week sales estimated at disappointing 20K

post #1 of 64
After much hype, the launch of Google's self-sold Nexus One smartphone managed an estimated 20,000 sales in its first week, well behind not only Apple's iPhone, but also competing Android-based handsets.

Mobile research firm Flurry this week estimated that the Nexus One, despite a great deal of buzz surrounding its announcement, failed to have a strong debut. The 20,000 week one sales are well behind the 1.6 million iPhone 3GS handsets sold in June. However, Apple's device was a third-generation product debuting in eight countries, while the Nexus One was a first-generation device on sale in just the U.S.

But the Android-powered myTouch 3G and Motorola Droid were also first-generation devices with U.S.-only launches, and both had sales much stronger than the Nexus One. The myTouch 3G sold an estimated 60,000 in its first week, while the Motorola Droid sold 250,000 units.

Despite the fact that the Nexus One was outsold three times by the myTouch 3G, 12 times by the Droid, and 80 times by the iPhone 3GS, Flurry noted there are key differences. The Motorola Droid debuted with a $100 million marketing campaign, and even the myTouch 3G was heavily promoted on television by carrier T-Mobile. By comparison, Google's handset launched after the holiday season and is marketing and selling the device through its own Web site.

"While Google, in an effort to avoid channel conflict with T-Mobile, appears to have set the direct-to-consumer price for the handset at over $500 dollars, the high price point combined with the fact that the handset is only considered an 'evolutionary' improvement over previous Android devices, indicates that Google did not take the steps to maximize first week sales," the analysis noted.

"This is especially evident when one considers that among the most expensive costs associated with the launch - marketing - has not been incurred, and could have been applied to lowering the direct-to-consumer price point."

Following the buzz leading up to the announcement of the Nexus One, Google has faced some issues and corresponding criticism from customers who have found that the company's customer support is limited to e-mail. Attempts to reach manufacturer HTC and carrier T-Mobile were reportedly no better for customers.

The Nexus One is available direct from Google for $529 without a contract, or $179 with a two-year agreement for new T-Mobile U.S. customers. The handset is due to be released on Verizon Wireless in the U.S. and Vodafone in Europe this spring.

Google worked closely with hardware maker HTC to design the Nexus One, which features a 3.7-inch AMOLED touchscreen. Though the phone can be purchased unsubsidized and unlocked through Google, the current GSM handset is only compatible with T-Mobile and AT&T in the U.S., and its 3G chip is not compatible with AT&T's high-speed wireless data network.
post #2 of 64
Chart seems fake, it says Apple has a larger install base and has sold the most units. This doesn't fit any narrative I'm familiar with.
post #3 of 64
"You think you're just going to walk in....?"

What went wrong? I thought it was a pretty solid introduction and thought it would do well. I think it's because of T-Mobile - maybe consumers are aware that the 3G is descent at best.

It's funny how big a splash was made in the media and how quickly it's gone, just in time for another announcement from Apple.
post #4 of 64
These other companies may very well get the fact that they've got NOTHING to compare with the iPhone and its nicely integrated system of functionality and features. They're probably hoping, nevertheless, that there'll be enough of a market amongst the Apple/AT&T grumblers.

But they are indeed going to have to cough up a lot more marketing and ad bucks to convince that sad, pessimistic, and pinch-penny horde.

Personally, I'm lovin' my collection of Apple gadgets: iMac, Time Capsule, Apple TV, iPhone, MobileMe account, iPhone apps, etc.

That other sad lot is really missing out.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #5 of 64
Nexus definately deserves this disapponting result as I tried to buy three nexus phones , all they want is to trouble me by asking me to scan my Id and my bill addresss to prove ...And my credit cards were declined many times even I have enough credit in them ! I know all
are for avoiding fraud but it is very troublesome ... ! They deserve this low result !
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Personally, I'm lovin' my collection of Apple gadgets: iMac, Time Capsule, Apple TV, iPhone, MobileMe account, iPhone apps, etc.

Yep: iMac, Macbook, 17" Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPhone, Touch, 2 iPod Classics, shuffle, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Apple Tv, Mobile me, ect...

I drank the Koolaid.
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Motorola Droid debuted with a $100 million marketing campaign, and even the myTouch 3G was heavily promoted on television by carrier T-Mobile. By comparison, Google's handset launched after the holiday season and is marketing and selling the device through its own Web site.

EXACTLY!

Before I even read the article my thinking was that the primary reason for low sales was the total lack of advertising, followed by the inability to go into some store and touch the thing before buying it.

I haven't seen or heard a single advertisement for the Nexus One beyond banner ads on geek or tech blogs. The iPhone, on the other hand, and even the Droid to a lesser extent, are seen on just about every major network, multiple times per day.

I've actually purchased a Nexus One TWICE. And then immediately cancelled the order TWICE. This wouldn't have happened if I could drive over to Best Buy and touch the damn thing. I'd either love it or hate it and move on.

Word of mouth by everyone I know who's actually touched one likes the Nexus One (at least for the hardware) - unfortunately no one I know locally is even interested, so not much chance of a touchy feely play session with one for me unless I actually don't cancel the order next time I get the urge to try one.
post #8 of 64
So given all those variables, what does this data suggest? They're comparing a first gen Google phone which wasn't advertised at all and sold in only one country, to a heavily marketed third gen phone sold in 8?
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So given all those variables, what does this data suggest? They're comparing a first gen Google phone which wasn't advertised at all and sold in only one country, to a heavily marketed third gen phone sold in 8?

Yes. AI has covered market share and units sold since the iPhone debuted. It's not their fault Google didn't advertise.
post #10 of 64
The Nexus One has a horrible choice of color which no doubt affected its sales influence. Perhaps a variety of color tastes would have exponentially helped. Besides its hardware spec can leave the 3GS in the dust.

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

post #11 of 64
Not surprising really. When you have multiple phones that look virtually the same and have the same user experience and the only difference is the hardware on the inside that the average consumer doesn't care about, don't expect to see huge numbers on specific devices. And average consumers are what make up the huge numbers, not your typical gadget geek whining on a tech blog because the xGadget only has a Whatzadoozle chip instead of the Thingamadamp chip.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

What went wrong? I thought it was a pretty solid introduction and thought it would do well. I think it's because of T-Mobile - maybe consumers are aware that the 3G is descent at best.

It's funny how big a splash was made in the media and how quickly it's gone, just in time for another announcement from Apple.

As mentioned above in my last post, I actually bought one of these (and cancelled order) twice. The first time was because of the lack of ability to touch it before buying it.

Once I got over that and ordered up a second time, I realized that T-Mobile service has so many issues, even here in Los Angeles. I'm in the San Fernando Valley, a major suburb of Los Angeles, and I'm within a mile of two major freeways. I get 5 bars inside my house on both AT&T and Verizon, not so with T-Mobile.

The T-Mobile coverage map shows my house as inside what is pretty much a DEAD ZONE. Per T-Mo's map, I shouldn't expect to be able to make a call inside my house, or even inside my car! T-Mobile's signal is that weak it can't even penetrate a car!?!? My friend with a jailbroken iPhone 2G on T-Mobile has to go outside to make calls when he visits, but I always thought it was the iPhone 2G's bad antenna, not the lack of decent coverage by T-Mobile. The map also shows that I should expect to get EDGE data only at home...not too big a deal, as I have WiFi, but still a consideration.

In short, I think the T-Mobile only is indeed a deal killer for many. As much as I'd like one, I can't justify a phone that won't make calls inside my house!

Quote:

...They're probably hoping, nevertheless, that there'll be enough of a market amongst the Apple/AT&T grumblers.

Right. There are Verizon and T-Mobile fanboys who are just as rabid about their cell companies as we are about out Apple products. Two friends of mine will never leave T-Mobile because of the cheap rate plans they're grandfathered in on. One of them is livid, though, with T-Mobile over the lack of the full discount on the Nexus One for existing T-Mo customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Nexus definately deserves this disapponting result as I tried to buy three nexus phones , all they want is to trouble me by asking me to scan my Id and my bill addresss to prove ...And my credit cards were declined many times even I have enough credit in them ! I know all
are for avoiding fraud but it is very troublesome ... ! They deserve this low result !

Sorry, but I can't go along with your damning the success of what seems to be a decent piece of hardware with an OS that's starting to nip on Apple's heels because you have some kind of issue with the check-out process.

As mentioned a couple of times, I actually purchased the Nexus One twice, with no issues on the procedure. It only takes about 4 mouse clicks to buy the thing if you are getting it unlocked and already have a Google Checkout account.

Are you trying to buy one with a contract? Do you have credit score issues? Are you outside the US (your name says Perth)? It sounds like something unique to you, not the system.

That said, Google clearly didn't think out the customer support aspect of selling the phone directly themselves, and so they do deserve any drop in sales that that issue generates.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yep: iMac, Macbook, 17" Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPhone, Touch, 2 iPod Classics, shuffle, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Apple Tv, Mobile me, ect...

I drank the Koolaid.

And that Kool-Aid tastes good doesn't it?

Mac Pro Quad Core, MacBook Pro unibody, MacBook Pro original model, AppleTV, 3 Airport Extremes, 2 Airport Expresses, 2 iPhone 2Gs, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G[s], iPod 4G, iPod 5G, MobileMe, etc as well. (Have you noticed there are a lot of "G"s attached to iProducts now?)
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I drank the Koolaid.

Was it the blue Koolaid? Blue Koolaid was the best.

As for this news, Google isn't Apple. While that may sound like a glib statement, it sums up the situation. In its approach to tech, customer service, and its vision for how peope should interact with technology, Apple is entirely unique. Bertrand Serlet remarked last year that Apple approaches tech "from an entirely different place." That wasn't just promotion-speak to whip up the crowd. It was the truth.

Google can learn all they want, they can make all the improvements they like, but if they don't experience a sea-change, philosphically and in terms of attitude, about how to fundamentally deal with the relationship people have with tech, they'll consistently find themselves on lists, charts, and reports where they just don't measure up. Apple has that "special touch" that isn't duplicated very well outside Cupertino.
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

"You think you're just going to walk in....?"

The thing that no one seems to note is that the market has started to saturate of smartphones. The people that can afford one already have bought an iPhone, Droid or Sony Ericsson, Samsung, LG, PRE, or another, and generally they are happy. Particularly the iPhone have a very large lifespan people are still using the 1st Generation like they bought it past week, and we're talking almost 3 years now. It's too late to catch the iPhone.
lvidal.-
lvidal.-
post #15 of 64
Like I said, bad marketing. Though the majority of consumers are unaware of the 1Ghz Cpu and other detials, the main turn-off for me was the color. What the heck were they thinking? Give up my 3GS for a brown looking phone? A black model would have definitely gotten my attention....I don't know about you guys..

post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Was it the blue Koolaid? Blue Koolaid was the best.

I preferred the bondi, myself.
post #17 of 64
It's interesting. There are numerous Android devices out there already, and have been before the Droid and Nexus One. So add the Droid and Nexus One on top of all the others, and Google *still* hasn't got it right, compared to an iPhone which, in many respects, has been unchanged since the first model was launched back in 2007.
post #18 of 64
This seems like a typical Google strategy; start slow and in low numbers and build up as you improve things. Kind of like Gmail, Google Voice, Wave, etc...

I find it interesting that almost no one mentions the Palm Pre which nearly beat the Drioid in it's first week even though it is on a much smaller network. (200k-230k for Pre v. 250k for Droid). That makes Pre pretty successful when compared to anything but iPhone.

With 3D gaming, Flash 10.1 and a hardware keyboard, I'm sticking with my Pre. I love it.
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homie View Post

With 3D gaming, Flash 10.1 and a hardware keyboard, I'm sticking with my Pre. I love it.

How's the software selection? There seem to be many fewer titles available, but are you able to find those that you want/need? Or are you frustrated when you see cool new software for other platforms, unavailable on the Pre?

The Pre seem to have a very solid OS, but I wonder about software availability. BTW, I'd root for it, being a PalmOS user from way back, but Android seems to have gotten the traction that WebOS may have deserved.
post #20 of 64

hardcore fanboys always provide the lulz

Google is not aiming for the Nexus One to be a superstar or iPhone killer or Droid killer but more or less a benchmark of what the Android platform is capable of. This phone hasnt even had 1% of the marketing blitz the Droid had, and the only people who know about it are tech news readers really because thats where most of its exposure came from.

Suffice to say, Google could have pushed the Nexus One hard if it wanted to but chose not to (i wonder why their not on VZW yet? Must be that other Android device that came out not long ago).

The Nexus One is raw, and hands the 3GS and other smartphones their ass in benchmarking, its probably why Steve Wozniak owns one.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...e-review.ars/4
post #21 of 64
I had a play with a Nexus One last night (a friend of mine works for Google and was given one) and I have to admit, I was not that impressed.

The hardware is fantastic, especially the screen which is way better than the iPhone, but the user interface (with the exception of the maps application which is brilliant) is nowhere near as good as the iPhone.

I think Google have made the same mistake with Nexus that Microsoft did with Zune. Microsofts assumption was that the way to beat iPod was to add more features, but in truth, the simplicity of iPod was one of the key selling points. It seems the same with Nexus. There is far more flexibility in what you can do, but as a result it doesn't seem as "clean" to me.

I came away thinking that 'techie' types will probably love it and bang on about all the additional features (and the fact that it "hands other smartphones their ass in benchmarking"!), but the majority of users will prefer the simplicity of iPhone.

It'll be interesting to see what happens though - Google are a smart company.
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I came away thinking that 'techie' types will probably love it and bang on about all the additional features (and the fact that it "hands other smartphones their ass in benchmarking"!), but the majority of users will prefer the simplicity of iPhone.

I can just envision a salesman trying to attract customers with pie charts and benchmark stats. Meanwhile, Apple is focusing on an awesome user experience across a vast ecosystem.

We won't even mention third party iPhone accessories. Ok, I lied... check this out:

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/parrot-ar.../en/index.html
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

hardcore fanboys always provide the lulz

Google is not aiming for the Nexus One to be a superstar or iPhone killer or Droid killer but more or less a benchmark of what the Android platform is capable of. This phone hasnt even had 1% of the marketing blitz the Droid had, and the only people who know about it are tech news readers really because thats where most of its exposure came from.

Suffice to say, Google could have pushed the Nexus One hard if it wanted to but chose not to (i wonder why their not on VZW yet? Must be that other Android device that came out not long ago).

The Nexus One is raw, and hands the 3GS and other smartphones their ass in benchmarking, its probably why Steve Wozniak owns one.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...e-review.ars/4

for all the nonsense that the tech media writes how this is a revolution in cell phone sales, Google dare not market this phone. They have to avoid alienating all their partners who are assisting with Android development and are releasing phones. If Google starts competing with them than they will stop making android phones and google will have to develop everything themselves.

if this is truly unlocked, what was the big deal about making it work on AT&T's 3G network? they crippled it only T-Mo because Dell is about to release 5 Android phones on AT&T in the next few months and I bet Moto and Dell all made Google sign contracts not to compete with them. Or limit competition.

and the support for a $530 phone consists of a web email form where it takes 2-3 days for a script response. at least Apple will replace hardware. i've seen some of the bulletins sent about the 3G signal going to EDGE all the time on the N1 and it specifically states not to replace the phone
post #24 of 64
[reply]After much hype[/reply]
Stopped reading there. Although the Nexus One had a lot of exciting expectations, barely anybody knew about it. I've been heavily researching android phones since August and I didn't even know about the Nexus One until early December, and the most information people had until a week before it came out was that it was being made by htc, looked like an htc phone, and had animated background. They didn't even give a decent amount of solid information until the day it launched.

Now, compare that with the iphone that got presented at a huge conference that most of the world watches several months before it came out. Compare that with the Droid or the Hero where people were comparing everything about the phone to other options a month before they came out. Everybody's been confused about the Nexus One until the day it came out.

Quote:

Those benchmarks are fail. They don't test hardware, they test the phone as a hardware/software package, yet they report the results like it's all dependent on the different processors. When the Droid gets Nexus One's android build we'll see how those benchmarks look. Software has proven to be the most important factor in the speed of these phones.

Quote:
I can just envision a salesman trying to attract customers with pie charts and benchmark stats. Meanwhile, Apple is focusing on an awesome user experience across a vast ecosystem.

We won't even mention third party iPhone accessories. Ok, I lied... check this out

There are many advantages to android besides pie charts and benchmarks. My number one reason from avoiding the iPhone like a plague is being forced to use apple software and forced to go through apple for anything. I want my freedom. I want my phone to be like my pc that I get to do whatever I want with in terms of functionality, hardware, software. You will never have that with iPhone. I do respect and am jealous of all the support that is behind it in terms of games/accessories.

Quote:
The hardware is fantastic, especially the screen which is way better than the iPhone, but the user interface (with the exception of the maps application which is brilliant) is nowhere near as good as the iPhone.

Android is new. It has only very recently been developed on phones that are actually decent and it is growing at an insane rate. It will be constantly improved by Google and because it's open source, it has no limits in terms of user development and where it can go. Android has much more potential to grow than the iPhone right now.

Quote:
I think Google have made the same mistake with Nexus that Microsoft did with Zune. Microsofts assumption was that the way to beat iPod was to add more features, but in truth, the simplicity of iPod was one of the key selling points. It seems the same with Nexus. There is far more flexibility in what you can do, but as a result it doesn't seem as "clean" to me.

Except Microsoft is a shit company that just copies other people and throws a bunch of money at it. Google is rethinking the phone. They aren't just adding functionality. Google's products are very well thought out from the bottom up. They don't just copy and release stuff and use money to fix it.
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugami View Post

Google is rethinking the phone. They aren't just adding functionality. Google's products are very well thought out from the bottom up. They don't just copy and release stuff and use money to fix it.

Can you let me know what you mean by they are re-thinking the phone? From what I saw of the Nexus One, it didn't seem much different from any number of touchscreen based phones, though I acknowledge I don't know much about how it works and whether or not that will allow them to do anything special in the future.
post #26 of 64
Quote:

Except Microsoft is a shit company that just copies other people and throws a bunch of money at it. Google is rethinking the phone. They aren't just adding functionality. Google's products are very well thought out from the bottom up. They don't just copy and release stuff and use money to fix it.

I really disagree with your assessment of Google products being "very well thought out from the bottom up." They are anything but. There's a reason most of them are still carrying the "beta" tag on them...it's because they are buggy, kludgy, don't play nice with others, and usually just plain ugly.

While I won't disagree with your call on Microsoft, I think Google is actually very similar. They make an insane amount of money with the AdWords product, and with that money they finance dozens of interesting ideas as products, but almost everything Google has, they either copied, stole, or bought from someone else.

Even AdWords, the big money make of Google wasn't their original idea. I believe they bought Overture, but don't quote me on that, or at the very least they copied Overture's model.

Search they copied from AltaVista, Lycos, Microsoft, Yahoo and others.

Google Voice they bought out Grand Central.

Web based email and calendars were around long before Google ever existed.

Android they took Linux.

Nexus they took the iPhone.

News group indexing and searching they bought DejaNews.

GoogleTalk just a copy of a dozen other chat clients that pre-existed GT for 10-15 years.

Google's doing some interesting things, no doubt, but very little of it is innovative or revolutionary; they take some existing products and add some interesting twists to them.

Most of the things I've listed, Google's implementation may have an extra feature or two over the predecessor, but it's usually uglier and not well thought out.

Just so I don't come across as an Apple fanboy slamming Google, I'll point out that Apple gets many of its ideas from others as well. The difference is Apple takes someone else's idea, polishes it off, adds some innovative twist others hadn't thought of, and releases a slick product that every one wants, that's EVERY ONE; not like the Google products, which other than search, the typical Joe on the street doesn't want or even know about. Just ask your mother if she's heard of Google Wave...
post #27 of 64
Just accept it as another "iPhone Killer" that didn't, and wait for the next attempt.
post #28 of 64
I'm speechless reading all these posts. People are really brainwashed here... \
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

I'm speechless reading all these posts. People are really brainwashed here... \

Maybe Apple's product is just that good.

People continue to give credit to a company's product that others have tried to imitate unsuccessfully for two years now. Go complain to Apple and tell them to stop making everyone else look bad.

You're going to get a lot of iPhone fans around here. It's the nature of the site. Add to that the fact that another Android phone didn't quite make the cut, and what do you expect? The penalty for failure is harsh.
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

for all the nonsense that the tech media writes how this is a revolution in cell phone sales, Google dare not market this phone. They have to avoid alienating all their partners who are assisting with Android development and are releasing phones. If Google starts competing with them than they will stop making android phones and google will have to develop everything themselves.

if this is truly unlocked, what was the big deal about making it work on AT&T's 3G network? they crippled it only T-Mo because Dell is about to release 5 Android phones on AT&T in the next few months and I bet Moto and Dell all made Google sign contracts not to compete with them. Or limit competition.

and the support for a $530 phone consists of a web email form where it takes 2-3 days for a script response. at least Apple will replace hardware. i've seen some of the bulletins sent about the 3G signal going to EDGE all the time on the N1 and it specifically states not to replace the phone

This is the nerds Android device right now. Google even acknowledges this with how it handles people who root their device (read: warranty voided) and states it as plain as day and even gives a warning on the device before you use fastboot.

Buying phones unlocked from the maker is a big deal but this didnt live up to its potential. If the Nexus One came out the gate unlocked with support for all 4 major networks (its only 2 and 1 doesnt get 3G so it doesnt matter) in one device that is a huge plus. Jump onto any carrier free of contract and take your device with you, no strings attached and no ETF.

I heard the support issue stems directly from T-Mo and they were tossing users between each other, but T-Mo has acknowledged the issue with fluctuating 3G service.

Quote:

Just accept it as another "iPhone Killer" that didn't, and wait for the next attempt.

Whoever called it the iPhone killer? AppleInsider? The biggest deal about this phone was it came from Googles stable packing some of the best hardware available for phones out and coming out so soon after the Droid.
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Search they copied from AltaVista, Lycos, Microsoft, Yahoo and others.

Were you using these search engines when google came out? I used altavista/yahoo pregoogle. Google revolutionized searching. They made a search engine that was fast and efficient and was way ahead of any alternative right at the beginning. Search engines began copying google after it was created.

Gmail is fucking awesome and has set an example for other webmails.

Try putting Linux on a phone? We would all love our phones to be just like a PC OS, that's what we've been moving toward over the past several years of phone improvement. If you can get Linux/Mac OS/Windows working a phone with all features then that's awesome, good for google.

Nexus stole iPhone eh? More like Nexus stole HTC. It's just an HTC phone with google's input and the new Android. Google is about Android, not the Nexus. And Android did NOT steal the iPhone OS. It learned from it, but it is completely different and BETTER.

GoogleTalk is really nice. It integrates with my gmail and my phone perfectly and has been way less intrusive than other IM apps.

Google is all about rethinking software. You can tell from their end products that when they design they are constantly trying to think of a better way to do things. Google Chrome is a great example. If you watch their youtube video or whatever about it they go over all sorts of features that they came up with to solve problems that old browsers had. Other browsers are already copying lots of the features that Chrome came up with.

Google is a logical company that thinks of the best way to do things. They question everything when designing a new product rather than copying something else and working from there. Sure, their products may turn out similar, but the programming and design behind it has been completely re-thought. They study the big picture and try to make things better and more logical.

Apple is a simple company. They cater to the masses (America) who that want things to be easy and stylish. These points go ahead of functionality, performance, flexibility. They take what's out there, restrict it to their own little world so nothing goes wrong and it's super easy to understand, and make it cool.
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

T

Whoever called it the iPhone killer? AppleInsider? The biggest deal about this phone was it came from Googles stable packing some of the best hardware available for phones out and coming out so soon after the Droid.

The entire industry:

"Can Google's phone kill the iPhone?"

"Is the Nexus One an iPhone killer?"

etc.

EVERYONE set this thing squarely against the iPhone. If Google didn't intend it that way, tough titty. Maybe their marketing dept. should take a few entry level courses at a local community college. When you're in the same space as an Apple product, comparisons are almost mandatory.

Yes, the Nexus One hardware is nice. Not worth a whole lot when the software isn't up to par. Pre = great software on lousy hardware. Nexus One = great hardware with lousy software. It's all about that perfect combination, which so far only Apple seems to understand. It's been TWO YEARS and there's *still* no iPhone killer. What gives?

Quote:

Google is a logical company that thinks of the best way to do things. They question everything when designing a new product rather than copying something else and working from there. Sure, their products may turn out similar, but the programming and design behind it has been completely re-thought. They study the big picture and try to make things better and more logical.

You seem to be getting Google confused with Apple.
post #33 of 64
AsianBob is gonna have a stroke when he learns of this. 20K? Are you serious? As a kid, even my Lemonade stand had more success.

Oh well, guess I'll wait for the 4th generation iPhone(and Apple's Tablet).

Hi, extremeskater!
post #34 of 64
Quote:

The entire industry:

"Can Google's phone kill the iPhone?"

"Is the Nexus One an iPhone killer?"

etc.

EVERYONE set this thing squarely against the iPhone. If Google didn't intend it that way, tough titty. Maybe their marketing dept. should take a few entry level courses at a local community college. When you're in the same space as an Apple product, comparisons are almost mandatory.

Yes, the Nexus One hardware is nice. Not worth a whole lot when the software isn't up to par. Pre = great software on lousy hardware. Nexus One = great hardware with lousy software. It's all about that perfect combination, which so far only Apple seems to understand. It's been TWO YEARS and there's *still* no iPhone killer. What gives?

Thats the tech-blogs who label anything with the same specs as the iPhone as an iPhone killer. 1 phone will not kill the iPhone, its going to take a succession of phones to do that. Google never came out and said "this is the phone that will topple Apple" they just did their thing and the comparisons inevitably came in.

There most likely isnt going to be a single device that will kill the iPhone, the iPhones rise can come to a halt if they dont keep innovating (some are questioning if they can) that allows competitors to swoop in with the big new thing and you go from being top dog to scrambling to catch up (what Apple did to the Smartphone industry)
post #35 of 64
Am I wrong, but wouldn't part of the low sales be attributed to the fact that the market might be drying up a little? At least until people who went out and bought an iPhone, MyTouch, Droid, BB in the past 8-16 months are waiting for their contracts to end. You can't expect 100,000+ people to run out and buy a new phone every 4-6 months as these phones have been been introduced. A lot of people who may have purchased a Nexus just bought the Droid or several months ago got a MyTouch. Just because a new 'big deal' phone comes out every 4 months, there are only but so many people out looking for a new phone at a time. Apple will continue to have big first week sales 'cuz they have a built in large market and arguably lead the market. Just my thinking. Have a good long weekend for those who have it.
post #36 of 64
Quote:

Were you using these search engines when google came out? I used altavista/yahoo pregoogle. Google revolutionized searching. They made a search engine that was fast and efficient and was way ahead of any alternative right at the beginning. Search engines began copying google after it was created.

Gmail is fucking awesome and has set an example for other webmails.

Try putting Linux on a phone? We would all love our phones to be just like a PC OS, that's what we've been moving toward over the past several years of phone improvement. If you can get Linux/Mac OS/Windows working a phone with all features then that's awesome, good for google.

Nexus stole iPhone eh? More like Nexus stole HTC. It's just an HTC phone with google's input and the new Android. Google is about Android, not the Nexus. And Android did NOT steal the iPhone OS. It learned from it, but it is completely different and BETTER.

GoogleTalk is really nice. It integrates with my gmail and my phone perfectly and has been way less intrusive than other IM apps.

Google is all about rethinking software. You can tell from their end products that when they design they are constantly trying to think of a better way to do things. Google Chrome is a great example. If you watch their youtube video or whatever about it they go over all sorts of features that they came up with to solve problems that old browsers had. Other browsers are already copying lots of the features that Chrome came up with.

Apple is a simple company. They cater to the masses (America) who that want things to be easy and stylish. These points go ahead of functionality, performance, flexibility. They take what's out there, restrict it to their own little world so nothing goes wrong and it's super easy to understand, and make it cool.

Well, you've certainly drank the Google Kool-Aid, haven't you? That's okay, most of us here are drunk on Apple-Juice.

I'm 50 years old. Computers have been my passion since 1978. I was probably using computers and some form of networking before you were out of diapers, so yes, I've used Lycos, Alta Vista, Yahoo, and all the rest for search. "The Google" didn't invent search, but yes they improved it, and I did acknowledge that they did it best when I said "except for search and ad-words" in my original post.

Please, what exactly is so awesome about GMail...? It's ugly. It's SPAM filtering is much worse than MobileMe or Yahoo's. It uses tagging instead of folders...okay, if that's your thing. It's IMAP implementation is weird and confuses most clients. The only other cool feature it has that others don't that I can think of is the ability to use the"+" sign to add any additional text to your address for filtering purposes.

Google Talk may be nice, but it's no nicer than Yahoo's implementation within Yahoo webmail. I'll give Google an edge over Yahoo in the Apple world if you use iChat, since Jabber integrates, but other than that, it's got no advantage over any of the others.

I just don't buy your assertion that Google rethinks and designs everything from the ground up in any kind of compelling way. Or maybe you're right, all of their ideas are half-baked beta releases that are constantly changing...anyone copying a successful product would come up with better. Everything Google reeks of beta software and Google even acknowledges by never removing the word beta from the product's description.

As far as cell phone OS's go...Palm's and Microsoft have been putting together pretty nice OSs on PDA and cellphones for a decade or more. Apple pretty much brought us a desktop-ish Unix based phone OS three years ago. What exactly has Google done that's all that special in this arena...?

Financially Google would be NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL, without its AdWords revenue. Without its AdWords revenue, they couldn't do all this free stuff, and the fact that it's free is the only reason it's so popular.

Would you actually pay money for GMail? Really...?

Would you actually pay money for GoogleTalk?

Would you pay money for Picassa?

No, you use them because they're free. If you paid money for them, you'd expect a slicker interface and GUI.

People pay money for Yahoo email, and others.

People pay lots of money for MobileMe, because it's slick and ties in so nicely with their entire iLife.

Google's not there, despite some nice integration with Android phones and some of the services.
post #37 of 64
Quote:

Google revolutionized searching. They made a search engine that was fast and efficient and was way ahead of any alternative right at the beginning. Search engines began copying google after it was created.

P.S. I'm also not sure everything Google's done for search was good. They created a whole system that SEO whores have gamed, and I think a lot of good sites get missed because they get buried in Google's algorithms because they don't focus on trying to get to the top of the search heap.

I don't have the answer for what's the best way to do search; if I did, we'd be talking about Loop searches and Loop phones, not Google. \
post #38 of 64
Meanwhile one carrier in one market, the United kingdom consisting of England, Wales and Scotland which are united under the Union Jack, Queen Elizabeth the Second and share the same parliament, laws, currency and taxation system (Vodafone UK) launched the iPhone and sold 50,000 on the first day.

Source:-

http://www.velti.com/index.cfm?page=...cleID=19560004

Hey what's the difference between a "Google experience" Magic released last year and a "Google" Nexus?

Both have vanilla Android and both are made by HTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

Financially Google would be NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL, without its AdWords revenue. Without its AdWords revenue, they couldn't do all this free stuff, and the fact that it's free is the only reason it's so popular.

I always chuckle when I hear people talk about how "revolutionary" Google is or how much "brain power" they have working there, when in fact Google is nothing more than an advertising company. You would think they could find a better use for all of their "brain power".
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Meanwhile one carrier in one country (Vodafone UK) launched the iPhone and sold 50,000 on the first day.

That is insane.

I'm dying to see the iPhone's updated market share numbers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Nexus One first week sales estimated at disappointing 20K