or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone OS 4.0 could see 'imminent' release, developer hints

iPhone OS 4.0 could see 'imminent' release, developer hints

post #1 of 154
Evidence continues to suggest Apple could soon introduce a new version of the iPhone operating system, this time with an alleged high-profile developer claiming their software was just updated for iPhone OS 4.0.

Rick Broida with CNet's iPhone Atlas said Friday that he received an e-mail from a "prominent app developer" regarding an update to the iPhone operating system. "Just wanted to give you a heads up that we've submitted an updated app for the new iPhone OS 4.0 software," the e-mail allegedly said. Additional details on the supposed software were not given.

Earlier this month, it was alleged that Apple's rumored Jan. 27 event could include the introduction of iPhone OS 4.0. One report claimed the new software developer kit includes a "simulator" that makes it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions.

Apple is widely expected to introduce its long-rumored tablet device at the event later this month. This week, one rumor claimed that Apple has not issued any updates for the iPhone in some time because the next version has many tablet-related references that the company did not want to leak in advance of its planned unveiling.

Also this week, one developer contacted AppleInsider when a single handset using iPhone OS 4.2 appeared in his Pinch Media statistics for an iPhone application. The identifier could theoretically have been faked, and it's not clear why a new version of the iPhone OS being tested would skip the 4.0 distinction.

As rumors in recent weeks about the tablet have continued to pick up steam, talk of iPhone models and software has also gained traction. Rumors have ranged from an uncharacteristically early April debut to a potential Magic Mouse-like touch panel on the device's plastic backing.
post #2 of 154
Hopefully they tested the imminent release thoroughly.
post #3 of 154
... that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 to dev on Jan 27th with a few weeks to test for application compatibility and general availability with the release of the Tablet... or maybe those cold be released on two different schedules...
post #4 of 154
Imminent release? Nah. This is just for demoing. Surely there will be betas.
post #5 of 154
Hammer down... Who argues? Major number changes, we're looking forward to huge pile of new stuff.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #6 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmartin67 View Post

... that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 to dev on Jan 27th with a few weeks to test for application compatibility and general availability with the release of the Tablet... or maybe those cold be released on two different schedules...

My best guess is once that cat is out of the bag regarding the Tablet they will update the iPhone right away, the Tablet I tend to believe will be shipping a while later.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #7 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

.... the Tablet I tend to believe will be shipping a while later.

AI -- who, to their credit, broke the tablet story -- continues to maintain 'end of first quarter.' I am holding them to it!
post #8 of 154
I hope this quick OS release it true. I've been saying that Apple has to have major updates 6 months apart now. So whether it's a 3.5 with major features, or a 4, it would be good.

Times are different from the past two years. Now, Apple has some credible competitors, and they can't wait an entire year before upgrades. Too much is happening.
post #9 of 154
The developer who broke this news should be worried. He or she may see their app yanked from the App Store for telling the world about the 4.0 release.

Steve Jobs is known to extract a penalty from those who reveal things that are contrary to his release schedule...
post #10 of 154
Apple is not MS, they don't have unmeasurable task force up their sleeve to launch as many projects simultaneously as they wish. Apple is not Google, Apple's >30K(?) of employees have to produce hardware, too. Hardware projects are demanding and consuming. The perpetual shortage of resources is clearly visible, when looking at Apple. Whence thoughtful design, reusing of everything everywhere, modularity.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #11 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

could see 'imminent' release

AI, you have a way with words.
post #12 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post

The developer who broke this news should be worried. He or she may see their app yanked from the App Store for telling the world about the 4.0 release.

Steve Jobs is known to extract a penalty from those who reveal things that are contrary to his release schedule...

I wouldn't be surprised if the leak was blessed from Apple to keep the press talking about it.
post #13 of 154
Quote:

... that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 to dev on Jan 27th with a few weeks to test for application compatibility and general availability with the release of the Tablet

that is the gist of the rumors.

the success of something like a tablet will be content as much as form. particularly if it is 'a super iphone' form. so they would want, so the rumors go, for there to be tabletized apps, ebooks, video etc. whatever fits with the functions of the tablet. it doesn't have to be everything but if a fair 1/3 of the existing apps were ready and more coming every day, folks would be pretty satisfied.

course we haven't seen a confirmation of any announcement by Apple and the deadline is closing fast. Wonder what explanation the rumor mill will have when Jan 27 has come and gone with nothing. should be amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AI -- who, to their credit, broke the tablet story -- continues to maintain 'end of first quarter.' I am holding them to it!

and when they are wrong they are going to buy you a tablet right

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope this quick OS release it true. I've been saying that Apple has to have major updates 6 months apart now. S.

actually Apple doesn't HAVE to do anything. aside from the legal requirement to fix any problems.
so despite your opinion, there won't be major updates every anything until Apple wants to do it.

it is even possible that the tablet and phone are not using exactly the same twist on the OS and while the tablet version might release in Feb/Mar with the device, the phone version doesn't happen until the summer.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #14 of 154
Sweet! Ive been predicting this as a likely possibility. Hopefully it comes true.

Quote:

It would probably take months, like before to ready the new HW, which we know about expect for iPhone OS hints. Hopefully there is an SDK for Tablet OS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #15 of 154
Quote:

...Rumors have ranged from an uncharacteristically early April debut to a potential Magic Mouse-like touch panel on the device's plastic backing.

so there might be a ghosted image of a keypad, and you'd type on the back of the casing using the fingers that are holding the device, rather than typing on the screen side? that'd be a radical new input method, as one rumor described, and it'd sure involve a learning curve. otherwise, i'd like to see some imaginative speculation of what might be gained from a touch-sensitive back casing, on either a tablet OR an iPhone.
post #16 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

so there might be a ghosted image of a keypad, and you'd type on the back of the casing using the fingers that are holding the device, rather than typing on the screen side? that'd be a radical new input method, as one rumor described, and it'd sure involve a learning curve. otherwise, i'd like to see some imaginative speculation of what might be gained from a touch-sensitive back casing, on either a tablet OR an iPhone.

If Apple were to go this route, and that's a big IF...

It would likely be limited to the simple gestures, just like the magic mouse. Scrolling would be it's primary purpose. Beyond that, maybe pinching, and home screen swipes. It would have to be limited to generic anywhere-on-the-screen gestures, without some sort of on screen cursor. I see Apple taking the simple route, not turning the back into fullfledged trackpad.

However, it seems very unlike Apple to make such a major change without having a more significant purpose than scolling. It's also a lot like admitting that having your hands all over the screen isn't such a great idea, which doesn't seem likely.
post #17 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

...actually Apple doesn't HAVE to do anything. aside from the legal requirement to fix any problems. so despite your opinion, there won't be major updates every anything until Apple wants to do it...

"actually..."

You're just taking the easy, literal way out to knock down someone else's opinion. I'm with melgross, who argued that with the rapidly changing smart phone environment, apple needs to bring new features via software updates more often than once a year, if it's not gonna intro new hardware more than once a year.

It's gotta stay competitive, and imho updating hardware and software only once a year isn't enough. Apple needs to do it, thus--if you want to make this insight conform to your p.o.v.--apple will want to do it. And will.

If the iPhone's gonna remain successful, with all the new products being intro'd with new hardware (better screens, faster processors, for ex) and new software (multitasking, for ex) Apple can't afford to wait 12 months for each significant refresh.
post #18 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope this quick OS release it true. I've been saying that Apple has to have major updates 6 months apart now. So whether it's a 3.5 with major features, or a 4, it would be good.

Times are different from the past two years. Now, Apple has some credible competitors, and they can't wait an entire year before upgrades. Too much is happening.

You're right, too much is happening. Like their "competitors" getting hit with malware because they want to be cute and mock Apple for its control over app availability.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...malware-fears/
post #19 of 154
Quote:

...One report claimed the new software developer kit includes a "simulator" that makes it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions...

There are some iPhone apps i'd like to be able to use on a tablet, too. Example: look at the software-prize-nominated ColorSplash app, or better yet, try it. It's simple, does just one thing and does it very well. Its usefulness would be multiplied many times over on a larger device. (disclaimer: I have no association with the company other than being impressed by the product when i use it)
post #20 of 154
Quote:

Swiping to the next page/previous page so you don't have to hold it with one hand. You just use any finger of either hand to gesture on the back of the device. You won't need to look at it.

I think it would be cool if it had a holographic projector and a small flip out stand so it could project a keyboard onto the table surface.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #21 of 154
There's no way it's ready for release. They maybe announcing a beta of it, but it won't be ready until summer.
post #22 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Swiping to the next page/previous page so you don't have to hold it with one hand. You just use any finger of either hand to gesture on the back of the device. You won't need to look at it.

Why still alien to many I think that is one of the gestures well likely see. It just makes sense when you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

There's no way it's ready for release. They maybe announcing a beta of it, but it won't be ready until summer.

If the Tablet is ready for Summer than Id think the next iPhone would have to come in the Spring.
post #23 of 154
I suspect the iTablet will be available to developers first then the general public later, but Apple will take pre-orders.

I also expect it to be expensive, being a first new device, thus commanding a premium for being a early adopter, work out the bugs and all.

Then the next device update will be less expensive and have more features.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #24 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Apple is not MS, they don't have unmeasurable task force up their sleeve to launch as many projects simultaneously as they wish.

And thank goodness for that. I'd rather see Apple have a handful of well-managed, well-placed products that ship and ship complete (versus being dumped out the door to meet self-imposed deadlines).

MS spends how many billions on R&D per year and basically produces nothing. We don't need to see Apple do the same.
post #25 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I suspect the iTablet will be available to developers first then the general public later, but Apple will take pre-orders.

I also expect it to be expensive, being a first new device, thus commanding a premium for being a early adopter, work out the bugs and all.

Then the next device update will be less expensive and have more features.

1) Explain to us why you think Apple will sell to developers first? How do they do that? When have they ever done that? At best we can expect an SDK with a tablet simulator with the only people getting an early hands on of the tablet being select pundits who cant release any info until the day it actually sold.

2) Being expensive states nothing. Some will think it is expensive even if priced below the cost to make. Apple has a good track record of pricing products in accordance with what the market will bare. I dont see this as being any different. The inevitable argument that My netbook cost $300 and it has a physical keyboard, too and so on will just be the typical shortsighted viewpoints weve come to know and love on the internet.

3) When does a device offer more features with the next update making it less expensive compared to the previous model?
post #26 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Explain to us why you think Apple will sell to developers first? How do they do that? When have they ever done that?

That'spretty much what they did with Mac OS X. (Sold it for $29 to beta testers and developers). I've never seen that example with hardware, though and it doesn't seem likely.
post #27 of 154
Quote:

1) Explain to us why you think Apple will sell to developers first? How do they do that? When have they ever done that? At best we can expect an SDK with a tablet simulator with the only people getting an early hands on of the tablet being select pundits who cant release any info until the day it actually sold.

Apple has always given preference to developers with new devices, even if it's not obvious. We don't hear of developers complaining they can't get a new device from Apple because they are sold out now do we?

If I wanted to be the first with the iSlate, I would sure be signing up for the SDK right now

Quote:
2) Being expensive states nothing. Some will think it is expensive even if priced below the cost to make. Apple has a good track record of pricing products in accordance with what the market will bare. I dont see this as being any different. The inevitable argument that My netbook cost $300 and it has a physical keyboard, too and so on will just be the typical shortsighted viewpoints weve come to know and love on the internet.

It will, Apple always starts with high margins and then works it's way down to the most profitable price/feature point to maximize volume of sales.

Quote:
3) When does a device offer more features with the next update making it less expensive compared to the previous model?

Because by Rev 2, Apple will gain the benefits of economies of scale and realize what people are willing to pay and see where the direction of the device is going in the public. To get people to upgrade or buy Rev 2, they will add a new feature and slightly lower the price to increase sales.

Plus the lust factor for a new original device will be high, thus it's collector level price.
post #28 of 154
I wonder what new stuff it has? I hope it is faster, my iPhone 3G (not S) is feeling a bit sluggish lately.
post #29 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hopefully they tested the imminent release thoroughly.

And hopefully, everyone will read the README's and the manual, checkout the Help menu, view the web site and watch the videos before they install/update or make stupid comments/judgements due to their stupidity or ignorance.

And better yet, have an iPhone in the first place. Otherwise, keep their mouths shut.
post #30 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder what new stuff it has? I hope it is faster, my iPhone 3G (not S) is feeling a bit sluggish lately.

Planned obsolescence, I find it usually occurs on Apple hardware right before they are targeting you to buy something.

The last update or two usually does it, slows your UI down so it appears your device is getting long in the tooth.

I know this because I used to benchmark every single OS X update and watch the creep sneak in.
post #31 of 154
Quote:

Apple has always given preference to developers with new devices, even if it's not obvious. We don't hear of developers complaining they can't get a new device from Apple because they are sold out now do we?

If I wanted to be the first with the iSlate, I would sure be signing up for the SDK right now

I know you are trolling but you really dont think through anything you write. Developers get Apple products because they buy them. Apple is pretty good about their manufacturing process.

If you still want to believe that signing up for an SDK gets you to a special Apple Store that allows you early access to HW sales then do a little research in an attempt to prove your case.

Quote:
It will, Apple always starts with high margins and then works it's way down to the most profitable price/feature point to maximize volume of sales.

Because by Rev 2, Apple will gain the benefits of economies of scale and realize what people are willing to pay and see where the direction of the device is going in the public. To get people to upgrade or buy Rev 2, they will add a new feature and slightly lower the price to increase sales.

Plus the lust factor for a new original device will be high, thus it's collector level price.

Apples margins often get a little better with time, not worse. Developing a new tech is a huge investment. If nothing else will compare in the market, which is likely Apple can charge more. That isnt making it "overpriced", that is pricing it to fit the market. You really should learn the difference.
post #32 of 154
Quote:

Earlier this month, it was alleged that Apple's rumored Jan. 27 event could include the introduction of iPhone OS 4.0. One report claimed the new software developer kit includes a "simulator" that makes it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions.

When I see that word "simulator" in quotes it makes it look like this a new thing, when really it will be "an updated simulator". Which sounds like it makes a lot more sense for the written word. Please stop quoting "simulator" like that, it looks awful.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #33 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

As Apple recommends, if it your iPhone is not operating as expected, reset it.

I do so once a month now and as a result, I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call. Certainly seems to speed up the apps, and everything wireless related.
post #34 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When I see that word "simulator" in quotes it makes it look like this a new thing, when really it will be "an updated simulator". Which sounds like it makes a lot more sense for the written word. Please stop quoting "simulator" like that, it looks awful.

It is a 'new' simulator with 'new' functionality. Nothing wrong in the way it was written.

Actually, it terms of programming functionality, it is not 'an update' per se. It would demean its extremely important new functionality to suggest such.
post #35 of 154
Quote:

You really don'y know what you are talking about, do you?
post #36 of 154
Quote:

...but you really dont think through anything you write. Developers get Apple products because they buy them. Apple is pretty good about their manufacturing process.

If you still want to believe that signing up for an SDK gets you to a special Apple Store that allows you early access to HW sales then do a little research in an attempt to prove your case.

I never said that. What your making up for missing the boat yesterday?

I'm saying I believe Apple takes notice of those who are buying a new device from them if they are a developer or not and makes sure they get a device before someone in the general public does.

They obviously don't want a rush of consumers signing up for the SDK with no intention of using it.

Just saying the possibilities are very good if you do though.

Quote:
Apples margins often get a little better with time, not worse. Developing a new tech is a huge investment. If nothing else will compare in the market, which is likely Apple can charge more. That isnt making it "overpriced", that is pricing it to fit the market.

Yes, margins get a little better over time with economies of scale, provided you sell the product in enough volume to gain that advantage.

But when a new product is introduced, you don't know how much people are willing to pay. So you tend to charge a bit higher and gauge the response and work yourself down to the best price/margin ratio for the highest volume of sales.

So I'm gauging the initial price of the iSlate will put a lot of people off.
post #37 of 154
Quote:

"actually..."

You're just taking the easy, literal way out to knock down someone else's opinion. I'm with melgross, who argued that with the rapidly changing smart phone environment, apple needs to bring new features via software updates more often than once a year, if it's not gonna intro new hardware more than once a year.

It's gotta stay competitive, and imho updating hardware and software only once a year isn't enough. Apple needs to do it, thus--if you want to make this insight conform to your p.o.v.--apple will want to do it. And will.

If the iPhone's gonna remain successful, with all the new products being intro'd with new hardware (better screens, faster processors, for ex) and new software (multitasking, for ex) Apple can't afford to wait 12 months for each significant refresh.

You are suggesting that Apple remains competitive by responding / reacting to what other companies do. You, of course, have it quite backwards; and I think that point is a little closer to what the original poster was trying to express with their comment.
post #38 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

You are suggesting that Apple remains competitive by responding / reacting to what other companies do. You, of course, have it quite backwards; and I think that point is a little closer to what the original poster was trying to express with their comment.

people are buying other phones because they want to listen to Pandora and do something else at the same time. there are nice features coming out for android that apple needs to acknowledge or risk losing sales
post #39 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

That'spretty much what they did with Mac OS X. (Sold it for $29 to beta testers and developers). I've never seen that example with hardware, though and it doesn't seem likely.

Quote:

1) Explain to us why you think Apple will sell to developers first? How do they do that? When have they ever done that?

I don't think they need to do it this time as the tablet is probably close enough to the iPhone or MacBook not to need to release the hardware to developers but it's not without precedence:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...it_photos.html
post #40 of 154
The other thing to consider is that Apple doesn't want to release a new iPhone OS version at the same time as the next iPhone hardware, which we may presumably expect this summer. Otherwise there would be another logjam as the rush of new iPhone owners plus millions of existing owners all try to access the iTMS at the same time for registration and updates. We've seen that before, and it ain't pretty.

It's reasonable to imagine that the next iPhone will also require the next OS to support its features, whatever those may turn out to be. That suggests an iPhone OS 4 release prior to the new phone hardware. Now mix in any possible influence the tablet might have on the OS picture, and it may get even more complicated.

So I would not be at all surprised to see the next iPhone OS release fairly soon.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone OS 4.0 could see 'imminent' release, developer hints