or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Democratic Dirty Tricks - Massachusetts Edition

Democratic Dirty Tricks - Massachusetts Edition - Page 2

post #41 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Things have to actually change or the promises will only end up taking a tremendous toll later on.

Exactly.

Obama ran as a transformative candidate. He should have fought to be a transformative president.

The public option would have benefitted Americans. He should have fought for it like Bush fought for his destructive wars and tax breaks which wrecked the American economy.

He inherited the worst economic crisis since the 30s. The stimulus should have been bigger. France and Germany really went for it. And now they have the fastest recoveries in the world.

Republicans were going to lie about his policies whatever he did. As it is, the health care bill is some half-arsed insurance-company friendly appeasement nonsense that deprives millions of the benefits enjoyed by millions of French, Italian, Danish and, yes, even British people. The stimulus wasnt big enough and the banks are acting like shit heads.

He caved in and they lied about him anyway. Hes not going to be able to run on hope and change next time. The only thing that might save him is if the Republican candidate is Sarah Palin.
post #42 of 186
On my way out into the rainstorm that is sinking California into the sea, but I discovered this little tidbit that ought to be very...........interesting.

There are no exit polls for today. The networks magically decided not to run them.

Can you remember the last time a network wasn't interested in calling a race after the polls closed?

Me neither.

This thing is being set up to be stolen. If the networks called it after the polls closed due to Brown being up by 5-9% all the recent polls have shown him being up by, then no one would be able to start putting their finger on the scale to tilt it the other way.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #43 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

On my way out into the rainstorm that is sinking California into the sea, but I discovered this little tidbit that ought to be very...........interesting.

There are no exit polls for today. The networks magically decided not to run them.

Can you remember the last time a network wasn't interested in calling a race after the polls closed?

Me neither.

This thing is being set up to be stolen. If the networks called it after the polls closed due to Brown being up by 5-9% all the recent polls have shown him being up by, then no one would be able to start putting their finger on the scale to tilt it the other way.

Perfectly innocuous explanation.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...p/tobin/219276

Good heavens, your paranoia is hilarious. Is Fox News in on this audacious conspiracy too?

post #44 of 186
Coakley might win it.

Want to know why I say that?

The "It Wuz Stolen!!!" preparation has begun.

See above and http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...husetts-rolls/

There is absolutely no evidence of any kind of anything that could tip an election. There is, however, plenty of conspiracy piss and paranoid wind.

It is interesting indeed.
post #45 of 186
Quote:

Me neither.

From my previous post above they postulated:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopOpinion
Quote:
Mr. Brown's surge was so sudden that many of the usual accoutrements of closely-contested elections are missing in the Bay State.

One is exit polls. There will be none tonight from Massachusetts, disappointing journalists and political scientists alike. As Mike Allen of Politico.com reports, the consortium of news outlets that normally organizes such surveys didn't bother when the race was expected to be a blowout and now "wasn't confident a reliable system could be built so fast."
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #46 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Coakley might win it.

Want to know why I say that?

The "It Wuz Stolen!!!" preparation has begun.

See above and http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...husetts-rolls/

There is absolutely no evidence of any kind of anything that could tip an election. There is, however, plenty of conspiracy piss and paranoid wind.

It is interesting indeed.

I don't know that they think Coakley is going to win, I just think they are paranoid that the attempts to keep the seat with a "D" attached to it will stop at nothing. Time will tell whose paranoia was greater... Likely a couple of days anyhow...

But Coakley is above all that right?

Coakley campaign alleges voting irregularities
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #47 of 186
Quote:

Perfectly innocuous explanation.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...p/tobin/219276

Good heavens, your paranoia is hilarious. Is Fox News in on this audacious conspiracy too?

Quote:

From my previous post above they postulated:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopOpinion

There's always an explanation. That doesn't mean it passes the smell test. This is especially true when we've had two recent elections where the Republican was ahead at the end of the first and even second official tallies and then magically fell behind on the third super-duper contested tally. Rossi and Coleman had this happen to them. As they saying goes, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. If ever there were a reason to cheat, the 60th vote on health care would be the reason for Democrats.

Quote:

I don't know that they think Coakley is going to win, I just think they are paranoid that the attempts to keep the seat with a "D" attached to it will stop at nothing. Time will tell whose paranoia was greater... Likely a couple of days anyhow...

But Coakley is above all that right?

Coakley campaign alleges voting irregularities

That must have been p. 304 in the Kerry Election Handbook. It was the chapter right after claiming invisible out of state thugs are harassing and intimidating people.

post #48 of 186
Quote:

Improving access while not impacting the budget and lowering cost is the criteria and all eight meet that as well. None of the Democratic options happen to do that. They use the rhetoric for example "we want to bend the cost curve down" but all their estimates show cost and premium increases in the hundreds of billions.

How about coverage?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #49 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

How about coverage?

Go get the answer yourself. Do some reading. You claimed the alternatives didn't exist and I've proven they did. If you want it spoon fed to you then find someone else.

post #50 of 186
Coakley lost! Yes! The charging rhino has been stopped with a blunderbuss. Booooom!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #51 of 186
It's not a loss until she concedes.

post #52 of 186
The majority of voters in Mass. must be irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, tea-bagging supporters of violence against women and against politicians with whom they disagree.

(I must give credit where credit is due.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #53 of 186
Quote:

It's not a loss until she concedes.

I'm watching her concession speech right now.

post #54 of 186
I just hope he runs with Palin in 2012.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #55 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I just hope he runs with Palin in 2012.

Brown's win was no small feat.

post #56 of 186
Lots of teary eyes and somber faces in the crowd at Coakley's concession speech.

Let this be a lesson that nothing should be taken for granted.

This is a glimpse of what to expect later this year and in 2012.

post #57 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

The majority of voters in Mass. must be irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, tea-bagging supporters of violence against women and against politicians with whom they disagree.

(I must give credit where credit is due.)

As the article pointed out, olbermann forgot to call Brown a cannibal and baby killer. How sad the Obie has lost his talent for invective.

Well this is going to be part of the lore of upsets of the century - just as Truman's was. Not only did he beat her in a blue boned state, he beat her by 5 or more points. Hell, he ran over her with an election semi-truck trailer.

And what really delights is how the Dems have torn into their own - wow, I havn't seen that from Dems since McGovern and then Carter lost.

This guy may be for real (Heck he looks good...and I am waiting to see if he can speak).

Ya, he may be the 2012 GOP nominee...or VP to Romney.
post #58 of 186
The republican won. So I guess this means there's no big conspiracy.
post #59 of 186
Quote:

Go get the answer yourself. Do some reading. You claimed the alternatives didn't exist and I've proven they did. If you want it spoon fed to you then find someone else.

I claimed alternatives that offered as much across the board didn't exist. And I guess you're saying you don't know.
post #60 of 186
What happened jimmac? I thought the GOP was out until 2020? Didn't everybody get the memo?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #61 of 186
Quote:

Exactly.

Obama ran as a transformative candidate. He should have fought to be a transformative president.

The public option would have benefitted Americans. He should have fought for it like Bush fought for his destructive wars and tax breaks which wrecked the American economy.

He inherited the worst economic crisis since the 30s. The stimulus should have been bigger. France and Germany really went for it. And now they have the fastest recoveries in the world.

I don't know where to start with this.
The left loses what should be an easy win, and they think it was because they weren't crazy enough.

The U.S. President cannot "transform" the country. The system is set up to be precisely the other way around.

In a situation where the Democrats had both a clear majority and the high moral ground, Obama ridiculously left the packaging of health care reforms to those on the hard left side of the party.

That freed the GOP to be completely opposed, but it also meant that the plan went significantly beyond where the American people - Obama's bosses - wanted to go. And the people have spoken clearly.

If Obama had latched onto opposition proposals (like the Whole Foods plan) and mixed in a few key Democratic objectives, he would have neutered the GOP, carried the water cooler debate and had his first major policy win of his presidency. Precisely the way Clinton used his experience and handled the Welfare issue.

This is what happens when you elect someone with no executive experience.
I hope the GOP is paying attention to this.
post #62 of 186
I love the Republican reaction to this. THIS IS A REFERENDUM ON EVERYTHING OBAMA IS AND DOES! AHHAHAHAHAHAHA! WE WILL RULE WITH AN IRON JESUS FIST ONCE MORE I TELL THEE!

Ya, or...back to reality...Coakley sucked as a candidate, couldn't campaign for shit, and had a very likeable fellow opposing her?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #63 of 186
You find Republicans likeable now?
post #64 of 186
RED ALERT! RED ALERT! Reading comprehension failure imminent! Abort reply! Abort Reply!

You should have paid heed to the warning. It's there for a reason.

One Fellow != Republicans

Also, you're acting like kind of a jerkbag for insinuating that I am a knee-jerk party lines Republican-hater. I am not registered with the Democratic party. I don't find Republicans to all be bad. I agree with many of their core principles. I also, however, have been polarized and pushed away from the mainstream party by those candidates that they have pushed to the forefront (Palin et al) and the terribly corrupt and inept BUsh administration we endured for 8 years previous. That doesn't mean I can't on the surface find an individual Republican to be a likable fellow.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #65 of 186
This all happened because of the unique circumstances found in this local election... fortunately, it may help put a stake through the heart of Your Friendly Neighborhood Government Health Care™.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #66 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

RED ALERT! RED ALERT! Reading comprehension failure imminent! Abort reply! Abort Reply!

Wow, you realized your own failing BR? jimmac, you could learn something from this dude!

In other news: Scott Brown has won! Let's hope that he won't be delayed in seating, but then again, after all this time with a Democratic super majority, its not like the Democrats have figured out how to vote "yes" on their own health care reform.
post #67 of 186
Quote:

One Fellow != Republicans

Except when that fellow says or does something that is deemed to be stupid, abhorrent, wrong, immoral, crude, uncaring, reprehensible, etc.

Then he represents all Republicans.

And all conservatives.

And anyone who disagrees.

post #68 of 186
I certainly hope that the "its all Coakley's fault" analysis prevails in Demo party circles - not only does that gin up the circular firing squads in the party but it also blinds them to why they lost in a bone blue state.

One insight was provided by a few dozen Mass. voters gathered into a TV studio for interviews.

The first queston asked of the crowd was "Did Obama meet or exceed your expecations in his first year in office...if he did, raise your hand" - no hand was raised. Then he asked everyone who voted for Obama to raise their hands - the strong majority raised their hands.

Then he asked those who voted for Obama but also voted for Brown to raise their hands. A small number did (five or so) and he asked them why they voted for Brown.

Several offered the same opinion - they did not vote for Brown so much as they voted to send a message about health care and deficit spending. Several who voted for Coakley also expressed the same concerns about Obamas direction. One doctor who voted for Obama called the reform a disaster.

I think its clear, since the deals were cut with many states to get reform votes folks were pissed and Brown promised to vote no (then their was the terrorist issue).

Clearly a large group of independents voted for change, and now don't like the change. Moreover, they voted against Republicans, not for Democratic liberalism. So they have turned...
post #69 of 186
Quote:

Except when that fellow says or does something that is deemed to be stupid, abhorrent, wrong, immoral, crude, uncaring, reprehensible, etc.

Then he represents all Republicans.

And all conservatives.

And anyone who disagrees.

Well if that's how you're going to treat Democrats and non-Christians...isn't it fair to go the other way? Of course, I wouldn't do that, but I'm sure you would expect me to pull the same dirty tricks you do.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #70 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon8472 View Post

jimmac, you could learn something from this dude!

I forgot, you already came to your own equally valid conclusion that posting on this board is a waste of your time. Except, since coming to that realization of yours, you still have kept on posting without a break.

Next phase: Acting upon your own realizations jimmac, one step at a time as they say.

@ On-topic:

Here is Scott Brown's victory speech btw:

Additional add to topic: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/us...ext-brown.html
post #71 of 186
Quote:

Well if that's how you're going to treat Democrats and non-Christians...isn't it fair to go the other way? Of course, I wouldn't do that, but I'm sure you would expect me to pull the same dirty tricks you do.

Please provide links and quotes to back up this accusation, or it's bogus.

post #72 of 186
Quote:

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #73 of 186
Quote:

I forgot, you already came to your own equally valid conclusion that posting on this board is a waste of your time. Except, since coming to that realization of yours, you still have kept on posting without a break.

Next phase: Acting upon your own realizations jimmac, one step at a time as they say.

@ On-topic:

Let me save jimmac the trouble.

Cycles!

Dream World!

Sandbox!

post #74 of 186

post #75 of 186
Quote:

@ On-topic:

Wow, that's actually a pretty darn good speech.

post #76 of 186
If this was a Referendum On ObamaCare, then ObamaCare must have been incredibly popular just 3 or 4 weeks ago, when Coakley was up by 10 or 20 points.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #77 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

If this was a Referendum On ObamaCare, then ObamaCare must have been incredibly popular just 3 or 4 weeks ago, when Coakley was up by 10 or 20 points.

That talking point was obliterated when Obama decided to campaign last Sunday.
He's the one who "nationalized" the election result. Can't walk away from it now.

Did you not see Jon Stewart holding his head and screaming yesterday at that crazy decision?
post #78 of 186
Quote:

Anecdotal evidence of the shift that is occurring with many of the supporters of Obama in the last election:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas..._ominous_sign/

Things have to actually change or the promises will only end up taking a tremendous toll later on.

Government has a fuckton of inertia. Change can't happen overnight. And the majority of vocal Republicans have been shouting from the moment he got elected, before he even got inaugurated, OMG HE HASN'T CHANGED ANYTHING YET! Pretend the roles were reversed. Wouldn't you be pissed and saying "FOR FUCK'S SAKE, GIVE HIM TIME. HIS TERM IS JUST GETTING STARTED YOU IMPATIENT TWATS!"

Of course, even though Obama has made progress, all that gets ignored anyway. It doesn't put Republican voters into the booths by commenting on all the good things he's doing.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #79 of 186
Quote:

Government has a fuckton of inertia. Change can't happen overnight.

Except when you have a super majority for some time...

Quote:

And the majority of vocal Republicans have been shouting from the moment he got elected, <snip nonsense>OMG HE HASN'T CHANGED ANYTHING YET!

Oh, he's changed a few things, but all of it has been for the worse unfortunately. And little of it was what he promised.

Quote:

Pretend the roles were reversed. Wouldn't you be pissed and saying "FOR FUCK'S SAKE, GIVE HIM TIME. HIS TERM IS JUST GETTING STARTED YOU IMPATIENT TWATS!"

Not at all, you have a super majority, you have all the control and support you need to get things done and then you don't get things done and you wait till you finally start losing control. There is nothing blocking change - good or bad.

Quote:

Of course, even though Obama has made progress, all that gets ignored anyway.

It hasn't been ignored, I complain about what he has done all the time and raise awareness of his poor decisions.

Quote:

It doesn't put Republican voters into the booths by commenting on all the good things he's doing.

Which has been nothing on the good side unfortunately. Hello Carter...
post #80 of 186
You might as well split up the Democratic Party into Progressive Democrats and Republicans Lite. You say supermajority, I say no clear majority at all.

I know you're not used to ideas that are subtle, but hey, you're missing out on a lot of politics by ignoring the details.

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Democratic Dirty Tricks - Massachusetts Edition