or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Chinese newspaper claims 22-inch touchscreen iMac coming in 2010

Chinese newspaper claims 22-inch touchscreen iMac coming in 2010

post #1 of 60
A new report claims that Apple will ship a new version of its iMac all-in-one desktop this year with a 22-inch touchscreen panel display.

Citing the Chinese-language newspaper the Commercial Times, Taiwanese industry trade publication DigiTimes reported Monday that the 22-inch iMac would be in addition to the current 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs, which do not have touchscreen panels. Taiwan-based Sintek Photronic was said to supply the screen, while Quanta will allegedly handle the production of the hardware.

Via its Web site, Sintek currently offers touchscreen panels ranging in size from 2.8 inches to 12 inches. There are no 22-inch panels listed.

Though the Commercial Times is generally somewhat reliable when it comes to Apple-related rumors, the newspaper did report last year that Apple was building a netbook that would feature a touchscreen display. While it's possible the displays referenced in last year's report could be headed to Apple's long-rumored tablet, Apple has never produced a low-cost netbook.

In October, Apple refreshed its iMac desktop line with a new, glossy, LED-backlit screen. The new iMac line, starting at $1,199, ships with a wireless keyboard and the all-new multi-touch Magic Mouse.
post #2 of 60
Has anyone tried holding their arms out, pointing at a screen, try that for 10 seconds and hold, and repeat. After about a minute your arms ache. What a stupid idea. Fine for iSlate or Tablets, but not desktop computers, will never happen. And you will be cleaning the screen every 5 minutes.
post #3 of 60
There's no way in heck I'm gonna lean over the top of my desk to interact with my computer, it's just not going to happen!
post #4 of 60
bogus.
post #5 of 60
Why not? We got somewhat used to 22" screens while Apple's ultimate ones are just measuring 21,5" and 27".

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #6 of 60
Agreed. Tried using my friend's HP touch screen when the first models came out. It's cool when you see it in demo for a few short actions but it very quickly becomes tiring. My friend doesn't even use it anymore. They're back to just using the keyboard and mouse. Not a good idea at all so I am hoping the source got it wrong and that the 22" inch is for something else. Any extended use of the touchscreen would be physically painful, while limited use would make it an unjustifiable cost to add to a product. What a gimmick for desktops.
post #7 of 60
I'm really doubting this as at a desk, no one wants to sit close enough to comfortably make gestures on a 22-inch screen. That would be about 2ft away, waayyy too close to view without eye stress. Besides, a mouse is much more precise within desktop applications. I realize that touchscreen versions of apps could be made, but this really rings false to me.

Besides, fingers never worked well with glossy screens (much less slick plastic Apple mice).
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #8 of 60
Unless Apple has decided to develop their POS software to run under OS X so that they can sell it with Touchscreen iMacs and Tablets there wouldn't really be any Market/use for it. Bogus me thinks.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #9 of 60
It could be useful for certain tasks but I imagine these machines would still be used primarily with a keyboard & mouse.
post #10 of 60
I doubt this rumor has merit, especially for the start; down the road, there could be commercial applications for larger touch screens that are wall, stand, or armature mounted.
post #11 of 60
Total BS
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
post #12 of 60
Did any of you watch Balmers pathetic CES Keynote speech?
Did anyone notice that the monitors of the PCs that he touted were all smudged up from being touched. It look unprofessional to the Max, and so to is this idea.
post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Not a good idea at all so I am hoping the source got it wrong and that the 22" inch is for something else.

Maybe we'll see it in a 22" tablet? That would be awesome!
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

Has anyone tried holding their arms out, pointing at a screen, try that for 10 seconds and hold, and repeat. After about a minute your arms ache. What a stupid idea. Fine for iSlate or Tablets, but not desktop computers, will never happen. And you will be cleaning the screen every 5 minutes.

stylus
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Maybe we'll see it in a 22" tablet? That would be awesome!

Yep plenty of uses for that.

And I'm not being sarcastic.

Music industry is gagging for a device of just that size. Imagine a DJ platter, decks would be a thing of the past. Imagine synthesiser controls. etc
post #16 of 60
I wondered if it's only touch-screen keyboard instead of regular keyboard for the new iMac? You can zoom, pinch, etc. on the keyboard w/o getting your arm tired. I hope they don't implement the touch-screen technology on iMac's screen, just the keyboard. We shall see
post #17 of 60
I call total BS on this one.

Its a freakin ergonomic nightmare.

Does HP and others actually look into the usability of something like this?

Obviously no.

I see most here agree.
post #18 of 60
Anyone with common sense knows this won't happen.
post #19 of 60
Even if Mac OS X had a iphone like interface, it still wouldn't fly - news is candy for Apple noobs...
post #20 of 60
Touch screens look cool on Star Trek, but I shudder at the ergonomics. And honestly, who wants a smudgy screen all of the time?
post #21 of 60
What if the 22 inch multitouch screen was not supposed to be the primary monitor, but a big touchscreen input device to be used in addition to the primary monitor, perhaps layed down flat in front of the user? Perhaps to replace both the keyboard and the mouse?

It could mirror the primary display to add touch input while maintaining a (potentially bigger) primary display in the normal upright position. This would lessen the paradigm shift (and ergonomic solutions) needed to adopt touchscreen home computing compared to purely upright touchscreens or purely tabletop touchscreens.

Sure there would be a learning curve getting finger placement correct whilst fixing your gaze at the primary monitor, but a similar curve applies to touch typing too. And it's not uncommon to sneak a peek at your fingers while typing now, so perhaps it won't be uncommon with this device to sneak a peek at your fingers to do some manipulation that you previously did with the mouse.

Obviously there are some big issues with size, cost, ease of use, OS integration, lack of benefit, etc etc, which may be insurmountable, but it could be an avenue worth exploring. The mouse is so good at everything it does, it would be hard to imagine replacing it any time soon.

Is 22 inches about the footprint of a current keyboard + mouse, assuming the mouse becomes a multitouch trackpad?
post #22 of 60
Wouldn't such a panel be significantly more expensive and if so, who is going to pay a huge premium for such a device?

Looks like making predictions about the tablet (slate, whatever) has come to be boring even for those making them and as such it's time to switch to something else. I thought the predictions of a 10-inch tablet lacked merit but compared to a touchscreen iMac, they're quite solid.

All I want from Apple is a price cut on the 24-inch monitor. That's overdue and I've been holding off buying one because of the rumoured Jan. 27 presser.
post #23 of 60
There will be a new mouse included with it that will control an artificial hand to touch the screen.
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

I wondered if it's only touch-screen keyboard instead of regular keyboard for the new iMac?

Isn't there an Apple patent application out there for dynamic tactile feedback on a touchscreen? You could be onto something.

But 22"? That's a biiig keyboard!
post #25 of 60
I feel like Steve let's these rumors out, reads our responses, and then decides whether or not it's a good idea.

If you're watching this Steve... Well I don't have any more than that, but don't make it!
post #26 of 60
Quote:

As a primary use, you are correct, this would be a nightmare. As a secondary use, you are wrong.. There are plenty of instances where "hands on" the screen could be beneficial and more efficient than a keyboard and mouse, especially for hands on controls of some of the plug ins in Apples pro apps like Logic.. I'd love to be able to tweak some synth or effect parameters using my hands instead of the mouse.. Just like I did in the "old days" when the effects were in front of me in a rack instead of on the computer screen. That doesn't mean the mouse and keyboard would be replaced..

And BTW, painters have been standing in front of a canvas on an easel with their arms out, doing their thing for centuries..
post #27 of 60
I hate even the slightest smudge or spec of dust on my screens (esp. glass shiny ones), so I would never interact with my computer by greasing the screen.

I also know that keyboard (not mouse) is the absolutely fastest way to drive a computer (any UI), and spend 90% of my time in terminal anyway (software developer, but still), so this is something I would not ever consider buying.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post

Isn't there an Apple patent application out there for dynamic tactile feedback on a touchscreen? You could be onto something.

But 22"? That's a biiig keyboard!

Touch-screen tech is way more expensive than what is being used right now and has no advantages if all you're doing is typing on the thing. Why would the technology be used for a keyboard?

After all, no one is complaining about having to use a keyboard and mouse. Between them the devices allow for all the input functionality that we need. In addition, the Magic Mouse is a terrific device that allows for gesture input, making even less likely that a touch-screen keyboard is likely.
post #29 of 60
Quote:

Exactly.

You know, I wish Apple would quit taking ideas off of HP.

First glossy screens and now touch screens...both HP ideas that FAIL.

I have to clean my MacBook Pro matte screen at least once a week. A touch screen would have to be cleaned constantly, especially a glossy one.

They are trying to go extremely cheap, and no better way to to that than to go touch screen and tablets.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #30 of 60
Besides selling these iMacs with no stand - designed for hotel lobbies I see very little other practical applications for this device. It's certainly not a consumer product. If true it would run 10.7, like the tablet may.

It's not true though.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Exactly.

You know, I wish Apple would quit taking ideas off of HP.

So we're blaming Apple for rumored products now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper

They are trying to go extremely cheap, and no better way to to that than to go touch screen and tablets.

Seriously, what does that even mean.
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'm really doubting this as at a desk, no one wants to sit close enough to comfortably make gestures on a 22-inch screen. That would be about 2ft away, waayyy too close to view without eye stress. Besides, a mouse is much more precise within desktop applications. I realize that touchscreen versions of apps could be made, but this really rings false to me.

Besides, fingers never worked well with glossy screens (much less slick plastic Apple mice).

Even though I tend to agree that this is an unlikely development, I'm not sure it will "never happen" as some are saying.

What confuses me is how far away you sit from your computer. I'm using a 20" iMac right now and my head is always about 1.5 feet away from the screen (sitting normally at an ergonomic desk), and sometimes I lean in to look at something and then my head is more like 9 inches away.

Multi-touch is always somewhat useful IMO (in spite of the dig you take at the magic Mouse above). I would imagine that once the tech becomes ubiquitous and cheap enough that it would be included in desktops as a small "extra." It doesn't have to be the only way to interact with the computer.

Mice for instance are not actually required, and are similarly "extra" handy way of doing things as opposed to the sole and only interaction available to the user.
post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Besides selling these iMacs with no stand - designed for hotel lobbies I see very little other practical applications for this device. It's certainly not a consumer product. If true it would run 10.7, like the tablet may.

It's not true though.

Consumer? Perhaps not.. Pro users? Yes, see my above post..
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not true though.

A 22" iPhone would be a good move even if it were expensive. Not for use as a traditional computer. But mainly for full screen touch apps. It would revolutionise the music industry. And score Apple cool factor points and free marketing, music producers and artists wouldn't be seen dead in a picture without one.
All the soft synth AU plugins could get a touch interface added, musicians dream.
Imagine virtual Technics 1210's, download from iTunes direct to the iDecks..
I know of a great company apple should buy actually http://www.intergroove.de they practically own the dance music market.
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Exactly.

I have to clean my MacBook Pro matte screen at least once a week. A touch screen would have to be cleaned constantly, especially a glossy one.

You need to think outside of the box my friend.. This is Apple were talking about.. For all we know, they could be the first company to include a built in computer screen windshield wiper.

Just saying, the possibilities are endless. There is a solution to every problem.. Just because something hasn't been solved yet doesn't mean it can't be.
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Even though I tend to agree that this is an unlikely development, I'm not sure it will "never happen" as some are saying.

What confuses me is how far away you sit from your computer. I'm using a 20" iMac right now and my head is always about 1.5 feet away from the screen (sitting normally at an ergonomic desk), and sometimes I lean in to look at something and then my head is more like 9 inches away.

Multi-touch is always somewhat useful IMO (in spite of the dig you take at the magic Mouse above). I would imagine that once the tech becomes ubiquitous and cheap enough that it would be included in desktops as a small "extra." It doesn't have to be the only way to interact with the computer.

Mice for instance are not actually required, and are similarly "extra" handy way of doing things as opposed to the sole and only interaction available to the user.

I am sure that this (or holographic computing, or virtual reality) will eventually be used for computing, I just don't find it to be feasible today. I do not own a Mac (although I am planning on purchasing one as soon as my Dell dies), and while I spent about 15 hours on a 24-inch iMac at a neighbors creating a DVD of our church's Christmas play (iMovie and iDVD) and had no problem sitting 1 1/2-2 feet away, my CRT at home is very strenuous for my eyes. I just don't see the glass having a suitable coefficient of friction for finger movement, and usability to be dramatically increased for the amount of extra cost.

I also wasn't talking about the Magic Mouse (which I love) but rather the Mighty Mouse (now Apple mouse), which, although the best mouse I have ever used on a PC, still manages to find a way to collect grime from my spotless hands. The only thing I have to say though, is that with Jobs and Apple, anything is possible.
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

A 22" iPhone would be a good move even if it were expensive. Not for use as a traditional computer. But mainly for full screen touch apps. It would revolutionise the music industry. And score Apple cool factor points and free marketing, music producers and artists wouldn't be seen dead in a picture without one.
Imagine virtual Technics 1210's, download from iTunes direct to the iDecks..
I know of a great company apple should buy actually http://www.intergroove.de they practically own the dance music market.

I agree completely. As would just about anyone who has ever tried to do a final mix on a song in Logic or a edit a film in Final cut.

Mouse mixing and sound tweaking with a mouse is a cumbersome process.. That's why there is such a large market for 3rd party keyboard and external hardware controllers for those apps.. But touching the screen to tweak a sound or slide a fader would trump the functionality of any hardware controller by a long shot..
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

It could be useful for certain tasks but I imagine these machines would still be used primarily with a keyboard & mouse.

I agree. Certainly a touchscreen would be great in the classroom, information centres and virtual controllers.

If Apple comes up with a touchscreen iMac model, a keyboard just may be superfluous or secondary. If it can eliminate or significantly reduce the number of keyboards/mouses in each classroom, imagine the monies it would save our school boards and our environment.

Not to say one way or another that will come, I would suggest we be a little more open-minded. A lot of the things we are critizing here are not much different than what was being blogged prior to just about every product Apple has ever innovated.

Certainly love the oleophobic coating on the iPhone 3GS. I would think that it will be used on the touchscreens if they come and thus fingerprints will not be a primary issue.
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

That's why there is such a large market for 3rd party keyboard and external hardware controllers for those apps..

Precisely.

The Logic integration would be heaven.

It's not 'if' a device of this type will revolutionise the industry, it's 'when'.
post #40 of 60
Why does your headline refer to a Taiwanese newspaper, The Commercial Times, as being "Chinese"?

Much of the world considers Taiwan as a separate country.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Chinese newspaper claims 22-inch touchscreen iMac coming in 2010