or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › AMOLED display seen as unlikely for Apple tablet - report

AMOLED display seen as unlikely for Apple tablet - report - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blütnerd View Post

If I had to choose between fancy-pants screen options, I'd much rather have a PixelQi screen instead of an OLED screen.

No way.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Well, neither iPhone, nor Magic Mouse support your point.

You're confusing energy efficiency with design trade-offs.

The iPhone isn't inefficient; it could simply benefit from a higher capacity battery to support its capabilities. But that would then make it bigger and fatter, and people including me, by the way! would then complain about it being porky. I can do something about keeping the battery charged, but I don't want it to be fatter or heavier, things I wouldn't be able to change.

I use lithium batteries in the Magic Mouse, and they're lasting long enough that I don't have to pay much attention to that. But again, it's a design trade-off, not an efficiency question. The MM is very slender, so there's no room for big honking batteries in it. I don't know of any evidence to suggest that Apple's Bluetooth implementation is any less efficient than anyone else's. Do you?
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

There will be an OLED screen. That's what the color splatters on the invitation are about.

I'm with you on this Buck. I still believe that Apple will do something special and unexpected for the screen of this device.

It just CAN'T be just a run of the mill LCD.
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I'm with you on this Buck. I still believe that Apple will do something special and unexpected for the screen of this device.

It just CAN'T be just a run of the mill LCD.

I won't say it can't, but I don't want it to be. I have seen OLED, I have seen the light.
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I won't say it can't, but I don't want it to be. I have seen OLED, I have seen the light.

Yup. Any problems OLED might currently be having is just growing pains that will, and is, quickly being solved.
LCDs are yesterday's news!
post #46 of 78
Quote:

I am sticking my bet on OLED. If I lose I believe I will owe someone a penny.

OLED would work very nicely considering my intended usage. I'm still thinking I'd prefer a 7" screen but lets ignore that for a bit.

What I don't understand about this blurb is how would the head of the association know what Apple and its suppliers are up to? Seriously would Apple and its partners share info with an association designed to promote the technology, in effect a loose lips department.

Also the article was very focused on AMOLED screens which is fine but there are other technologies to consider too. OLED technology is under very active development, even support circuitry is seeing novel implementations with announcements as recent as a couple of weeks ago.

Further I'm not sure where the obsession with high prices in relation to OLED screens come from. The prices are a bit higher but at the same time we are talking new tech so that is a certainty.

Given all f that Apple may go LCD with some of the recent patented technology incorporated. It would be especially impressive if they could deliver an IPS panel with that built in touch sensing that was exposed in a recent patent. A panel like that though would be similarly expensive as it is effectively new technology also.

In the end I'm of the opinion that offering a choice is the smart move here. As long as that choice isn't an excuse to apply an outlandish price on the OLED based device. I'm still concerned that Apple will take their traditional approach of pricing the unit irrationally and the wonder why the sales roll off so bad after the fambois stop buying.

Dave
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Whether one likes it or not, the best screen for viewing in in-direct bright light, e.g., sunny day outdoors, indoors near a window, etc., is on a glossy back-lit. Non-glossy back-lits are second.

AMOLED's are nearly invisible in bright light and are notedly atrocious no matter how much one tries to position the monitor to reduce reflection in these situations.

They are no worse than a TFT LCD screen in direct sunlight. I have a Samsung phone with an OLED screen and just last week I was skiing in direct sunlight using it to take videos and I could see the image on the screen to compose the shots - while moving rapidly - with no problem.

Quote:
Walking around with AMOLED display would be a nightmare.

It isn't. I have had TFT LCD screen phones that were much worse.

Quote:

Oh, we should have heard something about that for sure....

P.S. The only evident OLED advantage is energy efficiency. Since when is Apple concerned for energy efficiency?

Wide viewing angle, vivid colours and deep blacks are other advantages. An OLED screen is like a KURO Plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah the outdoor performance is quite bad with AMOLED:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVYI4ko6_E0

Indoors they look really vibrant and have great viewing angles though.

I personally rarely use the phone outdoors beyond calling people and the screen looks usable for that so I'd be happy with AMOLED. I prefer over-saturated colors generally too.

Apple just need to find a way to get IPS-like technology into mobile screens and even laptop ones. If AMOLED tech is the only way that quality will come then we'll have to suffer the downsides.

The video was deceptive. Read the comments that accompany it.

No screen technology that relies principally on the emission of light and is powered by tiny batteries is going to be able to compete directly with the Sun. Not OLED or TFT LCD.
post #48 of 78
What a shocker, the likelyhood of an OLED display is nill due to manufacturing and costs.

It's a total surprise
post #49 of 78
Quote:

Who at Apple said it was going to be sensibly priced?

If an OLED TV costs $5000 then a tablet is only going to be somewhere north of that figure.

That's the price of two MacBook Pros. Apple products are expensive but good value for money. A $5000-6000 tablet would not be good value for money. It would be commercial suicide even for Apple. Can you imagine how fast Apple's stock would tank if they announced a tablet for that price?
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The video was deceptive. Read the comments that accompany it.

No screen technology that relies principally on the emission of light and is powered by tiny batteries is going to be able to compete directly with the Sun. Not OLED or TFT LCD.

There will certainly be varying qualities/configurations of the screen tech that cause different results. I've seen a number of reviews that show poor OLED performance in sunlight and worse than the iphone screen side by side. I think there was one with the Zune HD.

There's an example here where the AMOLED screen looks much better than the LCD in sunlight at the angle shown about 1:40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FICAHsE_enE

Like I say, just the viewing angles and clarity of OLED are enough to sell it. If the screen does suffer in bright sunlight, I guess we'll just have to find something else to do on a warm sunny day than play with electronic gadgets. Not sure what though.
post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn79 View Post

An AMOLED sounds interesting, but from what i've seen and heard its not as great as one would think.

First, it is almost invisible in broad daylight. Imagine just how much of an inconvenience that could be for many customers.

So are the vast majority of LCD's. A sunlight readable OLED screen can happen, they just need to light up the pixels enough to deal with the sunlight. Like on LCD's a bigger pixel might help.
Quote:

Second, it has a reputation of being overly saturated (ex. Nexus One). I'm pretty sure nobody wants color mania on their screen as actor's faces suddenly turn into a sunburnt orange color. Color accuracy is definitely more important than color pop.

Saturation isn't the cause of of a poor color rendition. Color pop and color accuracy kinda go hand in hand. For your creative side saturated colors that mimic real life are exactly what you are looking for. Well I should say are what I'm looking for, which highlights the different needs.

In the case of the tablet if it can be properly calibrated then groovy. Otherwise it is not a machine we even need to discuss in the sense of serious color reproduction.
Quote:

AMOLED does pose several problems, but maybe Apple could fix that issue with an invention of their own, or stick with the conventional LED-backlit LCD panels.

I'm not sure why everybody is focused on AMOLEDs. There are other technologies beyond the Active Matrix set. Ignoring that though I think it is a mistake to look at a hand set OLED screen and thing that will represent what is available in larger formats. Especially in the case of Zune which appears to have a standard OLED display built for a panel tech that has been around for awhile. If Apple does go the OLED route I fully expect them to introduce a new technology.

Of course OLED might not be designed in then we have the probability of a LCD screen. This is still suboptimal for some but there is also huge potential with the latest LCD tech. Finally they might introduce something totally different in the way of display tech.

Dave
post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If an OLED TV costs $5000 then a tablet is only going to be somewhere north of that figure.

That reminds me of "Coming to America".

Son, I'm only going to tell you this one time. Do yourself a favour and stay off the drugs.
post #53 of 78
Quote:

I'll stick with ya on that bet too. Apple has to do something special with the display because it's going to be an extremely important part of this product's success.

more 'extremely important' than usability or price point?

i think not.
post #54 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

more 'extremely important' than usability or price point?

i think not.

*sigh* Here we go.

Did I say it was more important than usability or price point? And what the hell kind of english is "more 'extremely important'" ???

Indeed do you think not.
post #55 of 78
Any opinions on the suitability of the Qualcomm's MEM based Mirasol Display? Refresh rate is limited to 15 fps.
post #56 of 78
Quote:

That reminds me of "Coming to America".

Son, I'm only going to tell you this one time. Do yourself a favour and stay off the drugs.

What gloating dance do you want me to do when you've proven wrong?
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The one out now aren't that energy efficient. Only when most of the display is black.

Efficiency doesn't exactly mean the quantity of consumed energy. It's rather about how well available energy is utilised (as compared to competing devices in the same test under equal conditions).

Quote:

Just because a company is interested doesn't mean it's possible.
We all want bigger screens, more powerful cpus and gpus, more memory etc. That all consumes more power.

First, consumers used to know minimum about future Apple products. It's not too much important what they all want at that moment.
Second, upon having released 3 generations of iPhone Apple is still not paying any good attention to iPhone users complaining about the battery life. This point holds in each next version wish list.
What is not understandable about the product already known and tested by consumers is their priorities in development.

Quote:

It's also one reason why Apple has been holding off on multitasking.

I'm with Apple on this point. One backdoor for thieves less, too.

Quote:

What would you consider to be satisfactory?
I believe the new 12" Joo Joo tablet has about 5 hours of battery life. Is that satisfactory?
What would be for a full color graphics accelerated device?
Be realistic. Remember that the far less capable B&N product has only about 12 to 14 hours of battery life,
and that's with a mostly "E-ink" screen.

I tell you when I see specs and how device is supposed to be used. Secrecy is perfect; we even can't tell the class of the device for sure.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

You're confusing energy efficiency with design trade-offs.

It's just way too simplistic to state trade-offs never impact efficiency.

Quote:

The iPhone isn't inefficient; it could simply benefit from a higher capacity battery to support its capabilities. But that would then make it bigger and fatter, and people — including me, by the way! — would then complain about it being porky. I can do something about keeping the battery charged, but I don't want it to be fatter or heavier, things I wouldn't be able to change.

iPhone was built on the base of the broadband chipset, which is not the best when it comes to energy consumption. This is called inefficiency.

Quote:

I use lithium batteries in the Magic Mouse, and they're lasting long enough that I don't have to pay much attention to that. But again, it's a design trade-off, not an efficiency question. The MM is very slender, so there's no room for big honking batteries in it. I don't know of any evidence to suggest that Apple's Bluetooth implementation is any less efficient than anyone else's. Do you?

Oh, I didn't want to tell you, I must respect my hosts, you know... But I have to admit I use unobtanium cells. You just can't buy such a classy thing in the States or anywhere else.
This is ugly and tasteless, but this is kinda tradition of the board, I should warn the counterpart (why anyway?) I have several Magic Mouses in my household, I did researches in their behavior, which you just fail to imagine, and I know about them so much more than you, that there's hardly the point to discuss.
Of course, I can provide the evidence, but I have to be sure you've got a solid background to discuss (expected me to bring evidence for you to judge,eh? sorry, mate, we've already got good guys who would judge).

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #59 of 78
Quote:

Wide viewing angle, vivid colours and deep blacks are other advantages. An OLED screen is like a KURO Plasma.

I doubt Apple will factor all that in.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #60 of 78
Quote:

*sigh* Here we go.

Did I say it was more important than usability or price point? And what the hell kind of english is "more 'extremely important'" ???

Indeed do you think not.

'extremely' important as you stated it seems to imply that it's a make or break situation. what in your opinion is more important than the 'extremely important' OLED screen?

sorry you didn't get my poking fun at your extreme hyperbole...

post #61 of 78
Quote:

I had to login to make a comment on this. OLED is better than a Kuro display. I own a Kuro. Small OLED screens are usually around 100,000:1 contrast. Whereas the new range of Kuro's are a good bit less than 20,000:1. So when it comes to blacks for example, OLED are let's say for argument 5X better than Kuro. Even if they were less, say 4X better. That's 4 times better. And Kuro's are pretty good.
post #62 of 78
I agree that the display is one of the more important factors on this device, and it would be nice if Apple were working closely with an upcoming OLED maker to produce screens for this device by its shipping date in May. I say May cause I say May.
post #63 of 78
Quote:

Who at Apple said it was going to be sensibly priced?

Uh, the people who are interested in seeing it SELL.

They aren't stupid at Apple. Unlike you, they realize this is not a smartphone or an iPod or a Mac. They also realize that Tablets have failed for their entire existence. Unlike smartphones or computers or mp3 players.

Truly, only an absolute fool would predict this thing to cost anywhere near a thousand dollars. It would sit on shelves as people stare at it and think, are they nuts? Yes, they would have to be.

$300 w/ 2 year Sprint contract.

$600 - $800 depending on storage, WiFi only.

Any other prediction is a joke.
post #64 of 78
Quote:

No, eating my hate was for the name.

I stand corrected.
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
post #65 of 78
I find the phrase "No, eating my hate was for the name" oddly compelling. Like something out of Beckett.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I find the phrase "No, eating my hate was for the name" oddly compelling. Like something out of Beckett.

He’s been waiting for the tablet longer than Vladimir and Estragon(?) waited for Godot.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #67 of 78
You guys are dreaming if you think it's going to be OLED. Apple is more likely to introduce OLED to the iphone first.

Price and Cost.

Do you all forget that Apple doesn't jump on the newest technology right away? Look at their blu-ray support for proof of that.

What Apple does best is take existing technology and repackage it with amazing software at a profitable price. That's how they run their business.

This will be LCD and you'll all love it because it will be 720p on a 10" multi-touch, multi-gesture, stylus supported screen with bright colors and pretty software.

By 2013 you'll see OLED or something better used.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

You guys are dreaming if you think it's going to be OLED. Apple is more likely to introduce OLED to the iphone first.

Price and Cost.

Do you all forget that Apple doesn't jump on the newest technology right away? Look at their blu-ray support for proof of that.

What Apple does best is take existing technology and repackage it with amazing software at a profitable price. That's how they run their business.

This will be LCD and you'll all love it because it will be 720p on a 10" multi-touch, multi-gesture, stylus supported screen with bright colors and pretty software.

By 2013 you'll see OLED or something better used.

Pretty much. The eve of a new Apple product always brings out the wild speculation, wherein Apple advances the state of the hardware art with bleeding edge implementations. Which they pretty much never do.

The one area that Apple seems dedicated to pushing the envelope a bit is with interconnect standards. They got USB on the iMac before it was widely used on PCs, they got gigabit ethernet on their pro towers early on, they they've seemingly tired every video output scheme available, and if I'm recalling correctly at certain points various Airport base stations have been a bit ahead of the curve on WiFi speed.

But busting out a 10" OLED screen on a mass market device? Not a chance in hell.
post #69 of 78
Quote:

It's interesting that almost every review of an AMOLED screen device mentions how bad it is outside, and most mention that it's worse that an LCD, usually mentioning the iPhone's.

It's my experience as well. I'm not happy about that as I've been a big supporter of OLEDs going back years.

But they still have problems.

Right now, it's a wash between AMOLEDs and good LCD's as both have their strong and weak points. What matters most to one person may not matter to another.
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That's the price of two MacBook Pros. Apple products are expensive but good value for money. A $5000-6000 tablet would not be good value for money. It would be commercial suicide even for Apple. Can you imagine how fast Apple's stock would tank if they announced a tablet for that price?

I don't see it being that high. The Sony 11" lists for $2,500. They were never expecting to sell a lot of them as an 11" Tv isn't very useful to many people.

While I'm not that price sensitive, I won't spend $2,000 for a tablet.

But Apple intends to sell a lot of tablets. If enough screens are available, and that seems to be a problem, then they could price it lower, possibly the $2,000 or so we see bandied about.
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

So are the vast majority of LCD's. A sunlight readable OLED screen can happen, they just need to light up the pixels enough to deal with the sunlight. Like on LCD's a bigger pixel might help.

But they can't do that yet. That's the problem. Maybe soon, but not yet.

Quote:
Saturation isn't the cause of of a poor color rendition. Color pop and color accuracy kinda go hand in hand. For your creative side saturated colors that mimic real life are exactly what you are looking for. Well I should say are what I'm looking for, which highlights the different needs.

Over saturated colors are indeed a color problem. Stores like that "pop" too. It sells Tv's, but hopefully when they get home, people turn it down. When colors are over saturated, they don't mimic real life. Most real life color isn't that saturated. Flesh tones certainly aren't orange!

Quote:
In the case of the tablet if it can be properly calibrated then groovy. Otherwise it is not a machine we even need to discuss in the sense of serious color reproduction.

Hopefully. But if they get it close, that would be fine. It's not intended as a professional color tool.

Quote:
I'm not sure why everybody is focused on AMOLEDs. There are other technologies beyond the Active Matrix set. Ignoring that though I think it is a mistake to look at a hand set OLED screen and thing that will represent what is available in larger formats. Especially in the case of Zune which appears to have a standard OLED display built for a panel tech that has been around for awhile. If Apple does go the OLED route I fully expect them to introduce a new technology.

I don't know of any "new" AMOLED tech. It's all just small improvements in efficiency, lifetime etc. I'm hoping that Apple waits until it gets what it wants rather than jumping in with somthing average.

Quote:
Of course OLED might not be designed in then we have the probability of a LCD screen. This is still suboptimal for some but there is also huge potential with the latest LCD tech. Finally they might introduce something totally different in the way of display tech.

Dave

Probably an LED. The other tech available now just doesn't look very good, and has other issues.
post #72 of 78
Quote:

Efficiency doesn't exactly mean the quantity of consumed energy. It's rather about how well available energy is utilised (as compared to competing devices in the same test under equal conditions).

I understand what it means. The result is that the screen must be mostly black to use little energy, because efficiency is so so.

Quote:
First, consumers used to know minimum about future Apple products. It's not too much important what they all want at that moment.
Second, upon having released 3 generations of iPhone Apple is still not paying any good attention to iPhone users complaining about the battery life. This point holds in each next version wish list.
What is not understandable about the product already known and tested by consumers is their priorities in development.

You don't have any idea about what Apple is paying attention to. iPhone battery life is pretty good. There is no phone out that has much better life when all uses are considered. You can't take one aspect and just hold that one up.

Quote:
I tell you when I see specs and how device is supposed to be used. Secrecy is perfect; we even can't tell the class of the device for sure.

You made a comment that you didn't think Apple would have good battery life. It's a fair question for you. You can't say that Apple won't have good battery life without telling us what that battery life should be, in your opinion. You raised the issue, not me.
post #73 of 78
Quote:

Oh, I didn't want to tell you, I must respect my hosts, you know... But I have to admit I use unobtanium cells. You just can't buy such a classy thing in the States or anywhere else.
This is ugly and tasteless, but this is kinda tradition of the board, I should warn the counterpart (why anyway?) I have several Magic Mouses in my household, I did researches in their behavior, which you just fail to imagine, and I know about them so much more than you, that there's hardly the point to discuss.
Of course, I can provide the evidence, but I have to be sure you've got a solid background to discuss (expected me to bring evidence for you to judge,eh? sorry, mate, we've already got good guys who would judge).

So, in other words, you've never used one.
post #74 of 78
Quote:

I agree that the display is one of the more important factors on this device, and it would be nice if Apple were working closely with an upcoming OLED maker to produce screens for this device by its shipping date in May. I say May cause I say May.

But apparently, there is currently only one manufacturer who is making them in mass quantity, Samsung. LG, Apple's display supplier in the bigger sizes, is apparently only making a fraction of Samsung's 150,000 a month.
post #75 of 78
Quote:

You made a comment that you didn't think Apple would have good battery life. It's a fair question for you. You can't say that Apple won't have good battery life without telling us what that battery life should be, in your opinion. You raised the issue, not me.

Except for 3G talk time comparisons to CDMA phones, which is expected do to inherent network differences, the iPhone still beats other smart phones in real world tests. I wish there were more independent tests of battery time.
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Except for 3G talk time comparisons to CDMA phones, which is expected do to inherent network differences, the iPhone still beats other smart phones in real world tests. I wish there were more independent tests of battery time.

The iPhone battery life is pretty good.

It will never be good enough to satisfy everyone. Nothing ever is.

He's already criticising the tablet's battery life. I suppose when I showed the five hours for the Joo Joo, that set him back, as did the 12 to 14 hours for the cpu/gpu weak B&N with mostly a small e-ink screen, and color strip at the bottom.

While I'd love 12 hours, I'd be happy at 8, and satisfied at 6.
post #77 of 78
Quote:

The iPhone battery life is pretty good.

It will never be good enough to satisfy everyone. Nothing ever is.

He's already criticising the tablet's battery life. I suppose when I showed the five hours for the Joo Joo, that set him back, as did the 12 to 14 hours for the cpu/gpu weak B&N with mostly a small e-ink screen, and color strip at the bottom.

While I'd love 12 hours, I'd be happy at 8, and satisfied at 6.

Some of these tablets are quoting over a hundred hours. I think Notion Ink with Pixel Qi is one of them. I like the idea of it but I have doubts of the quality of the colour video aspect and sicne weve heard nothing about an undisclosed company orders x-many displays or invests in little known company the chance of them using that tech seems slim to none. I think 12 hours of actual use would be great on a 10 colour display with at least 720p and good brightness.
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some of these tablets are quoting over a hundred hours. I think Pixel Qi is one of them. I like the idea of it but I have doubts of the quality of the colour video aspect and sicne weve heard nothing about an undisclosed company orders x-many displays or invests in little known company the chance of them using that tech seems slim to none. I think 12 hours of actual use would be great on a 10 colour display with at least 720p and good brightness.

I've seen a Pixel Qi screen, and I can say that it needs more work.

Yes, it's color, but it's terrible color. Weak color with very poor saturation. The image is, to be nice, bland. I don't think that anyone here would like it. It looks like a very undersaturated, washed out transparency.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › AMOLED display seen as unlikely for Apple tablet - report