or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report - Page 5

post #161 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think we're going to see the introduction of a painting program for iLife.

Oh no. A paint program. Can see it now. All types of brushes for the finger types then comes the millions of ipaint galleries. Canvas gone digital. Of course their will be fantastic demos but ony 1% will ever be able to paint like that. Why not, I suppose, if they can do it.
post #162 of 225
Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of leaks around the tablet, moreso than with previous product intros? Is this really going to be that big of a product? Just more partners / suppliers than in the past?

The only thing that hasn't leaked is the specifics...

Rob
post #163 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Monday, January 25, 2010:
  • Earnings announcement (best quarter ever)

Tuesday, January 26, 2010:
  • New Core 2010 MacBooks

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
  • Tablet
  • iWork X
  • iLife X
  • iPhone OS 4
  • Expect iWork and iLife to have iPhone OS 4 versions. Also expect a PhotoShop/Illustrator-lite like app.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
  • Apple's stock drops.
  • Post rumor speculation depression kicks in.
  • Complaints about Tablet lacking a replaceable battery and pricing overwhelm the blogoshpere.
  • Clickwhores post "Top 10 Reasons the Tablet Will Fail", which are actually repostings of articles they already posted before the announcement, but will fix (some) of their numerous errors that were made before they even knew what the product was.
Friday, January 29, 2010
  • Although the Tablet won't ship until March, GeoHot announces that he's already jailbroken one "quite some time ago".

Dead on Nostradamus! Somehow though... not funny. I'm an APPL shareholder...
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #164 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You think theyll focus on Mac software release with this event? I dont think so. I think the rewrite of the Mac version of iLife X to Cocoa and 64-bit may still take some time. I dont think well get the Cocoa version of iTunes X will come next September with the next iPod/iTunes Special Event.

I think the Tablet OS will have iLife and iWork capabilities but it will have been written specifically for the device and will be very different from the Mac equivalents, despite some obvious similarities.

I hope they'll actually have a few things to say - I expect Apple has just as much to say this year as last year or the year before in MacWorld keynotes - and that was always several announcements. (Just checked 2007 - they announced new iPods nano/shuffle, the AppleTV, and iPhone... so no new macs there, no new iLife as they went 18monthly).

Anyway, as you say - iLife and iWork (assuming tablet versions) will have been written specifically for the device. I assume that the underlying code will be shared though, including OpenCL usage etc. Also, looking at iPhoto or iMovie (and iTunes) there are broad swaths of the application that will be able to be very similar, but specifics of the interface will hopefully be true to the platform they're on.

As such, I think it's probable and useful for an iPhoto 10 (slate) and iPhoto 10 (Mac) to be released side by side. Or both demonstrated with a release in May (or whatever) for both.

But if it takes too long to code... well how long do you think they need? Would this in general reflect badly on Xcode or Apple? Why aren't the same coding solutions in the tablet iLife code usable (to a certain degree) in Mac code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzr View Post

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of leaks around the tablet, moreso than with previous product intros? Is this really going to be that big of a product? Just more partners / suppliers than in the past?

If they're trying to lock down partners, especially if content subscriptions are going to offer a subsidy on the tablet - then yeah more people probably know. But the specifics really haven't leaked out, or have been too difficult to describe verbally.
post #165 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I hope they'll actually have a few things to say - I expect Apple has just as much to say this year as last year or the year before in MacWorld keynotes - and that was always several announcements. (Just checked 2007 - they announced new iPods nano/shuffle, the AppleTV, and iPhone... so no new macs there, no new iLife as they went 18monthly).

  • I think the change from Carbon to Cocoa/64-bit is a huge undertaking, which may not be ready for this event.
  • I think this event will be focused on iPhone OS, a tablet and (hopefully) a redesigned from the ground up AppleTV, along with their SDKs.
  • I think that iLife and iWork app suites are best suited for new ‘Pro’ Mac updates, perhaps with new ACDs, not around iPhone OS and a tablet.
  • I expect another event in late-February-to-March with new Macs, though if this one is about Macs then switch that for an announcement in March for a Tablet, iPhone OS and (hopefully) a new AppleTV.
Hopefully they decide to run for 3 hours to introduce everything people want (within reason) but I think a lot of this hangs on what Apple has at the ready, not what they wish they could introduce.

Quote:
As such, I think it's probable and useful for an iPhoto 10 (slate) and iPhoto 10 (Mac) to be released side by side. Or both demonstrated with a release in May (or whatever) for both.

iPhoto is currently at v8.1.1 despite the iPhoto ’09 label. I think they’ll follow the pattern with QuickTime 7 with version 7.6.3 jumping to QuickTime X with version 10.0. Not because it’s 2010, though that could be a marketing reason, I think it’s a way to denote when they are moving from Carbon to Cocoa/64-bit. I doubt they’ll do the update until that major undertaking is complete.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #166 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

  • I think the change from Carbon to Cocoa/64-bit is a huge undertaking, which may not be ready for this event.
  • I think this event will be focused on iPhone OS, a tablet and (hopefully) a redesigned from the ground up AppleTV, along with their SDKs.
  • I think that iLife and iWork app suites are best suited for new Pro Mac updates, perhaps with new ACDs, not around iPhone OS and a tablet.
  • I expect another event in late-February-to-March with new Macs, though if this one is about Macs then switch that for an announcement in March for a Tablet, iPhone OS and (hopefully) a new AppleTV.

Further to this -
  • I'll hope for cocoa/64-bit iLife (but really what I want is multithreading and OpenCL in iLife... which won't come till the cocoa/64-bit rewrite). I get it's huge and I really don't know how long that should take. It's been rumoured for so long.
  • I'm hoping the "lite OSX" ("iPhone OS 4.0" or whatever it's called) and ARM chips are also used as the basis for a redesigned AppleTV.
  • I won't expect iLife for Mac unless iLife for Slate is released. Same for iWork.
  • I agree there doesn't need to be new Macs in this event. It changes the feel. There were new iMacs just a few months ago anyway (and iPods in September).
post #167 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm hoping the "lite OSX" ("iPhone OS 4.0" or whatever it's called) and ARM chips are also used as the basis for a redesigned AppleTV.

Hmm I have been half-expecting that the tablet will likely be sufficient with to push High Profile 1080p. Maybe a higher clocking of the GPU or CPU, or maybe a faster chip that uses the same socket, but close enough that they dont have to reinvent the wheel for the next AppleTV. That seems like something Apple would try to do.

But your quoted comment made me think that the current AppleTV OS, which is very similarthough distinctfrom Mac OS X, is too bulky for their needs and that maybe using something closer to iPhone OS as a starting point would allow for a thinner and faster OS.

At the very least, getting away from Tiger is a plus. I wonder if the last AppleTV update which seemed to come out of the blue yet is still based on Tiger is because that old AppleTV HW will not be getting the new AppleTV OS. I think its smart because it wont have OpenCL or be able to take advantage of many new features and the effort to optimize will likely be for naught when you when consider how many will likely buy the new one, assuming it does solve the previous problems.

Two things are certain. Apple cant let go of the living room and the next AppleTV will be a major improvement, even if it fails in comparison to other offerings on the market.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #168 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm… I have been half-expecting that the tablet will likely be sufficient with to push High Profile 1080p. Maybe a higher clocking of the GPU or CPU, or maybe a faster chip that uses the same socket, but close enough that they don’t have to reinvent the wheel for the next AppleTV.

I've just expected that the dual core ARMs (or whatever Apple comes up with for the slate) will be 1080p capable - even if toned back for the tablets to conserve battery. Given Apple's history, whatever chip their designing has to be graphics savvy, and OpenCL... doesn't it?

You might remember me saying it before - I'd like to see Apple pull out the "TV & Movies" from iTunes and call it "AppleTV" - on Macs, Windows, iPhones, & slates. It'd clean up and focus the iTunes interface (and it'd make AppleTV obvious everywhere). On the iPhone, Apple already separates the iTunes store (app) from the iPod playing device (app).
post #169 of 225
When you're talking about 1080p capability on the tablet, are you talking about a 10" 1080p tablet screen, or 1080p video out to an external screen? After a quick google at netbook resolutions, 1366x768 is the top standard resolution for a 10", so thats ok for 720p on the tablet. 1920x1080 or 1200 on a 10" screen sounds like crazy talk.
post #170 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

When you're talking about 1080p capability on the tablet, are you talking about a 10" 1080p tablet screen, or 1080p video out to an external screen? After a quick google at netbook resolutions, 1366x768 is the top standard resolution for a 10", so thats ok for 720p on the tablet. 1920x1080 or 1200 on a 10" screen sounds like crazy talk.

Me? I was talking about the default HW capability before power savings are taken into account. If the tablet HW can push 1080p I doubt neither the display and the video out will allow more than 768 lines, thought I think 720 is likely.

For example, the iPhone and Touchs HW can push higher resolutions than the OS allows, even up to 1080p yet you cant even do 720p. I dont know much of a drain that would be but Im sure its substantial. The AppleTV could have the same CPU and GPU and yet not be limited since its plugged in.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #171 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

So because I watch Fox News, I no longer have a brain and I am all of those stupid stereotypes you rattled off?

I happen to be a very devout Christian.

Case Closed.
post #172 of 225
iLife 2010


and APERTURE 3!!! I want Aperture 3
post #173 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Case Closed.

Please, no snide and dismissive remarks about religion on these forums.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #174 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me?

Oh anybody who's listening . I did think that 1080p on a panel that small would be a bit much, 720p is more likely. I was just wondering if there actually was anything 1080p of a similar size, that's usable as a portable.
post #175 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

When you're talking about 1080p capability on the tablet, are you talking about a 10" 1080p tablet screen, or 1080p video out to an external screen? After a quick google at netbook resolutions, 1366x768 is the top standard resolution for a 10", so thats ok for 720p on the tablet. 1920x1080 or 1200 on a 10" screen sounds like crazy talk.

The panel doesn't need to be 1080p. Too small to matter! But Apple has been criticised for their AppleTV only doing 720p, so it'd be useful if it could do 1080p (even if movie rentals are still 720p for now).

And (IF it can be done) it'd be nice if slate and future iPhone could output 1080p to TVs... when plugged in to power only. I suspect that unless they do something amazing with the GPUs, that would run them too hot though.
post #176 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So what is the link between the new device, iLife and iPhone OS 4? Would Apple do a special event like this to launch three disparate products? Doesn't seem very elegant to me. They should probably all tie together somehow.

The link between iPhone OS 4 and the tablet is easy: tablet will run iPhone OS 4 ! Makes sense with the fact that iPhone developers where asked to work on full screen versions of their app. Furthermore this will give a heads up for a new iPhone with a higher resolution.

As for iLife, there will probably be an iPhone version of it.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #177 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

The link between iPhone OS 4 and the tablet is easy: tablet will run iPhone OS 4 ! Makes sense with the fact that iPhone developers where asked to work on full screen versions of their app. Furthermore this will give a heads up for a new iPhone with a higher resolution.

I dont see how it makes sense. Are you 16 giant icons or 90 normal sized icons on each Home Screen?

Mac OS X can run iPhone apps in a simulator for developers and QuickTime X that came with Snow Leopard was first running on iPhone OS. Apples leveraging their versatile OS to make it more powerful and cheaper to develop for their various products but they arent simply going to scale iPhone OS to run on a 10 tablet. Its simply not going to happen. There WILL be a new UI for the tablet. There WILL be aspect that are very different from both Mac OS and iPhone OS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #178 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by machei View Post

I will be disappointed if they don't announce a rev to the MacBook Pros. I'm in the market, but I don't want to pull the trigger with release cycle tradition suggesting they'll be updated.

I somehow doubt the tablet will perform the same functions as a MBP, so I don't think it'll serve to replace it.

Tablet = March-ish
iPhone OS 4 = June-ish

They need to give us *something* this month. I say rev the specs on the MBs.

Ditto...

Expect the "doubt the tablet will perform the same functions as a MBP": that's exactly what it will do. But pros need FireWire, keyboard, and more power than what the tablet will provide.

And if the tablet slightly cannibalizes Mac sales? It's OK, Apple would be losing a little bit of people in on market and gaining a huge amount of people in a fresh one... One that it can freely compete without M$'s giant a$$ on their heads.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #179 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont see how it makes sense. Are you 16 giant icons or 90 normal sized icons on each Home Screen?

I never said it would run iPhone OS the way it is right now. I agree that it would be stupid just to scale up the iPhone. But the same goes for the iPhone right now, with all the apps and stuff they need to change it, hence iPhone OS 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mac OS X can run iPhone apps in a simulator for developers and QuickTime X that came with Snow Leopard was first running on iPhone OS. Apples leveraging their versatile OS to make it more powerful and cheaper to develop for their various products but they arent simply going to scale iPhone OS to run on a 10 tablet. Its simply not going to happen. There WILL be a new UI for the tablet. There WILL be aspect that are very different from both Mac OS and iPhone OS.

Basically the iPhone and the upcoming iSlate / tablet etc are both touch based devices, and I think that makes them have a lot in common in terms of UI elements (buttons, multitouch gestures etc). So it would make complete sense to give them the same core os, and simply change elements that don't fit on the bigger screen, like the home screen.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #180 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Or just someone with a brain.

How anyone can take a word that comes out of that ultra-conservative, far right, pro-religious, homophobic, racist, sack of steaming lies is beyond me. It gives tabloid journalism a bad name.

So yes, Fox News source = lie.

What a piece of work....

"Ultra-conservative"
"Far right"
"Homophobic"
"Racist"
"Sack of steaming lies"

Then you go a throw in "Pro-religious"...

This is exactly why you leftwing nut jobs will always come off looking foolish... It's your complete inability to see the world as it really exists.

Believe it or not Einstein, billions of people from around the world are religious to one degree or another. Throwing around that word in the same context as 'Homophobic" and "Racist" is not going to win you any popularity contests in the global community.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #181 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post


I suspect you are right, but I think that either it will be a brief mention or be a quiet update.

I'm good with that.
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
Reply
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
Reply
post #182 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I'm having a hard time discerning if you're being sarcastic or genuine in your comment. But really? How is it "gouging" for Apple (or whoever) to charge you for a new version of a product/service? I guess you'll just have to suffice with "last year's product" (shudder) until iWork & iLife 2011 rolls around.

Agreed. I'm still running Leopard and iLife '08. I hope they do announce iLife '10. I'm ready to upgrade to 10.6 and a nice upgrade to iLife at the same time would be great.

I still have and use iMovie HD. There are things I like better about it than the later "dumbed down" iMovies. Just because software is updated, doesn't mean your old stuff stops working. If you want the new features, you pay for them and are happy. Why complain when a manufacturer charges for a new version with new features? That's how they make $$$.

- Jasen.
post #183 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

They should all be disgusted with themselves. The advent of "commentators" on news programs needs to end. There is a place for them on talk shows and such. Not the primetime news.

Bingo.
post #184 of 225
No paint program. You guys are taking things FAR too literally. It's just a quick backdrop to suggest creativity.

This thing (whatever it runs and however it does it) isn't going to ship without apps on it from Apple, and I mean other than the basic set on the iPhone. They won't just release an OS ans ask you to fill your boots with 3rd party software that may or may not be ready at laucnh and of the high quality required to show off the device to the full.

There will be a small number of new apps provided as part of the base build, and they will cover more creative areas allowing you to create content, rather than just access it. So expect a photo editor that sync in to iPhoto on your mac. Expect iMovie lite (or whatever) for performing more than just a "trim" on your videos, allowing you to use transitions and titles before uploading straight to Youtube. Expect some tweaks to MobileMe allowing you to edit your iWeb homepage direct from the device etc etc etc. Call it all iLife mobile if you like, if there is an iLife '10, it will just be a patch to include the integration into the above.

No paint program!
post #185 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

They should all be disgusted with themselves. The advent of "commentators" on news programs needs to end. There is a place for them on talk shows and such. Not the primetime news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Your comment is probably one of the most offensive of anybody's so far. So because I watch Fox News, I no longer have a brain and I am all of those stupid stereotypes you rattled off?

I happen to be a very devout Christian. Yes, I am conservative. A couple of my wife's and my best friends are a gay couple two houses down. I play basketball every week with a group of guys from work every week, half of them black, and some of the best all-around guys I know. I can call a pile of crap just that when I see it, and some stuff on Fox News is just that. Guess what, the same can be said about CNN, MSNBC, C-SPAN, etc. Don't profile all of us just because of Rush's sometimes stupid comments. Please rethink your post and your state of mind, because while I respect anybody and everybody I come across, it is very hard to respect you based on comments like that, and I am sure you're better than that.

What I can't stand about Fox News is that they never give any credit to Obama, ever. In my state's paper there was an article about Obama being a secret Republican, because he handled the wars the same as Bush did. Obama set a timetable, he was criticized for it, even though Bush agreed to the same timetable, Fox was silent. Obama's budget for defense is growing by 3%, non-defense by 12%, yet Rove is saying Obama is cutting defense spending. Obama did a troop surge in Afghanistan, one that McCain was calling for during the election. But according to Fox, Obama didn't do it fast enough. Also according to Fox, Obama doesn't 'get' how to deal with terrorism or doesn't really mean it when he denounces it. The fear-mongering from Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh (I know, not Fox) is ridiculous. The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

MSNBC does the same thing on the other side, I know. But let's be honest, it really doesn't matter what they do because nobody watches it. But I would expect the most-watched 24-hour "news" channel to be more...fair and balanced.
post #186 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'd still like to know what the mass appeal of a tablet is.

+1

But the marketing machine is in full force - resistance is futile. Given the fact that it is an Apple product, hopefully, it wont be one of these. (NSFW due to language)
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #187 of 225
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this as part of the reason why an updated iLife might be mentioned at the same time as a tablet announcement:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ation-support/

This is something that Alex Lindsey was discussing on MacBreak Weekly about a month ago, and it makes perfect sense to me - the tablet would be a great (interactive) media device, and what better way to consumers to create interactive media than with support for it in Apple's consumer-level media tool suite.
post #188 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this as part of the reason why an updated iLife might be mentioned at the same time as a tablet announcement:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ation-support/

This is something that Alex Lindsey was discussing on MacBreak Weekly about a month ago, and it makes perfect sense to me - the tablet would be a great (interactive) media device, and what better way to consumers to create interactive media than with support for it in Apple's consumer-level media tool suite.

The reason for iLife X being announced is likely because a) it's January, and b) there will be a multi touch version compatible with Tablet and possibly iPhone 4.0.

And yes, iTunes LP creation for the average user as part of iDVD would be fantastic, and is entirely likely. Actually I'd be really surprised if this event went by without mention of iTunes LP creation, however it will occur. Great re-post!
post #189 of 225
So i'm still confused as to why we want/need this tablet.

Sure you can dismiss me, lump me with all the iPhone deniers that were proven wrong. But the iPhone had atleast a target. It was a phone that met and iPod. Sure that had been tried before, but there was a demographic that wanted it and Nokia, SonyEricsson had targeted those with specific media phones.. It was also a great mobile web browser. But again, it had been tried before. Same with Apps, you could download all sorts of apps for your phone before the iPhone, sure most of it was lame but it could be done. Apple just took all the together, made it consumer friendly in a great package.

So what in a tablet do we want/need? The only thing I can sorta think of is ebook reader. But that won't justify $1000. Or perhaps join the netbook craze of larger mobile browsing. But again, most of them are sold at $300 and some are even a household dedicated computer because they are as powerful as the computers of long past.

Microsoft has targted the tablet, albeit mostly towards businesses and not consumers. I will be very interested in seeing Apple's take.

But what in your speculative opinions will make Apple's tablet more successful than a MacBook Air?

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply
post #190 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by robzr View Post

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of leaks around the tablet, moreso than with previous product intros? Is this really going to be that big of a product? Just more partners / suppliers than in the past?

The only thing that hasn't leaked is the specifics...

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Please, no snide and dismissive remarks about religion on these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Dead on Nostradamus! Somehow though... not funny. I'm an APPL shareholder...

I'm a bit surprised that there are not many people talking about the price. Especially since the ir could be subsidized models and I do hope there are not two models where the lower end one does nothing compared to the top of the line meaning. You have to get the pricey machine if you really want a tablet that say connects to the Internet.

$1000??
post #191 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'd still like to know what the mass appeal of a tablet is.

It depends. To be honest a tablet doesn't really make sense if you're looking for a cheap laptop because that's not the intended purpose of a tablet and is the reason why tablets in the past have failed.

Tablets do however make sense to people who need something portable but with a screen larger than the current iPhone. I use my iPhone everyday to do job updates and get access to information I need to do jobs. A larger screen would make this so much easier especially for doing entries and while reading documentation.

I think a lot of people wanting a tablet aren't actually going to be the sort of people that need a tablet though.
post #192 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I think a lot of people wanting a tablet aren't actually going to be the sort of people that need a tablet though.

Exactly. Tablets seem like a great idea for lots of tasks until you actually use one. At which point it becomes clear that the form dictates a niche of tasks to which it is suitable.

Because this set of tasks is smaller than the set of tasks optimally served by the laptop form, tablets have, and will continue to be less prevalent. The mantra I've been repeating (for quite a few years) is that tablets will not replace other form factors.

Instead they will supplement our current computing ecosystem. Tablets will provide an additional tool for our toolbox, but very seldom will it be a user's only tool. The same can be said for pocket computers (smart phones). They are a great addition to the computing ecosystem but aren't suitable as the sole tool for most users. Pocket computers don't have efficient input hardware and have comparatively small screens. The same is true for tablets. We'll put up with those shortcomings in an auxiliary device, but not a stand-alone device intended to meet all of a user's needs.

This suggests that price will make or break the apple tablet. I have confidence that apple can design usable hardware and software. The only question is, will it be cheap enough that people can justify it as an auxiliary device
post #193 of 225
Would it be too much trouble for someone to paste the text of the article for those of us that don't want to navigate to foxnews.com? TIA
post #194 of 225
FRUITY TOYMAKER Apple has started whipping up its tame industry press to get all enthusiastic about a rally of blackshirted true believers it is holding on January 27.

Apple is going to release either its Itablet, a touchscreen iMac, or something with an Intel Core i5 chip under the bonnet. There will be nothing to see that has not been done to death for the last six months.

Only Apple expects a frenzy of speculation and discussion for the launches of its products. When the day arrives we will also be treated to the shameful display of US press people standing up and applauding the appearance of Steve Jobs trying to hawk his latest product as if it is the cure for cancer.

In fact Apple has already seeded test gear to a few newspapers and tech magazines but only those who will praise it to the skies. We will not see a balanced review until the machines start to hit the shops in a month's time. By then Apple will have whipped its fanboy base into becoming early adopters and they will queue outside stores to give the impression that there is a movement to buy the product.

Then a month afterwards when the gear starts to crack, or develop faults, Apple will quietly ignore the problems while the tame press bangs on about the "new phenomenon sweeping American".

You might wonder why Apple gear does not sell so well in Europe. It is because the European press generally does not allow itself to be used like a cheap whore by a cynical proprietary company as a tool to screw more cash out of the generally IT illiterate customers. In countries where the media coverage is balanced or, like Russia, anti-Apple, Jobs Mob fails to do so well. It seems to rely on keeping people ignorant and the US tech press does that job for it.

In the days when products were looked at on the basis of merit, a company would have to bribe us with free booze, or perhaps a novelty item or too, before we would even show up at a product launch. Then there would be no guarantee that we would not slam the product, the company, its CEO or the person who came to escort us from the building. Now Apple expects hacks to show up and mingle with salivating fanboys who really do believe that Steve Jobs is God. We are expected to stand and applaud while Apple releases another phone, PDA or PC box at an outrageous price.

Apple is the Liberace of the IT industry. The camp piano player had hardcore of fans, and no doubt could use both hands to play chopsticks. But the act was a show based on syrupy sequins, fake diamonds, and smoke and mirrors where everything was sizzle and there was no steak.

Why the hell should any decent hack want to report anything like that? µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...p-black-shirts



best independent piece I've seen.
post #195 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

...

post #196 of 225
Please New Mac Pro configuration! The current look on the Mac Pro is old and stale!

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply
post #197 of 225
The Inquirer became a parody of itself long ago, and it was never much to start with.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #198 of 225
Great- REAl multi-tasking. I look forward to it!
post #199 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this as part of the reason why an updated iLife might be mentioned at the same time as a tablet announcement:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ation-support/

This is something that Alex Lindsey was discussing on MacBreak Weekly about a month ago, and it makes perfect sense to me - the tablet would be a great (interactive) media device, and what better way to consumers to create interactive media than with support for it in Apple's consumer-level media tool suite.

It will get a new application instead named iBlu-ray and Apple will release new iMacs with Blu-ray drives and all will be right in the world.
post #200 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Great- REAl multi-tasking. I look forward to it!

I wonder about the rumour for limited multi-tasking.
What does that mean?

My guesses
  • Only allow 2 or 3 apps to multitask?
  • allow a "mini" app to run with a VERY small memory footprint, pulling up the main app when needed.
  • give an app 30 seconds to close. So when we exit an app it immediately goes to the home screen while the app takes its time to cleanly close up in the background. (after I make a move in chess it sometimes takes 30 seconds to send... I'd like to go to home page without aborting the send).
  • only multitask while plugged in

Sorry I don't know which thread had that rumour... hopefully it was this one...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report