or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobile apps projected to earn $6.2B in 2010; Wintek riot captured on film
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mobile apps projected to earn $6.2B in 2010; Wintek riot captured on film

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Application stores on mobile handsets will see more than 4.5 billion downloads in 2010, earning $6.2 billion in revenue, a new study has found; and footage from a violent employee strike at an iPhone part supplier has surfaced.

Gartner: Application stores worth $29.4B by 2013

As Apple has started the 'app store' crazy with smartphones, the market that was just $4.2 billion in revenue in 2009 is expected to grow exponentially in the next few years, research firm Gartner said this week.

Likely to lead the way is Apple, which is well ahead of its competition, with more than 3 billion total downloads in less than 18 months of its existence, and with more than 100,000 individual applications available for download.

The firm believes that there will be 21.6 billion application downloads in 2013, and 87 percent of downloads will be free.

"As smartphones grow in popularity and application stores become the focus for several players in the value chain, more consumers will experiment with application downloads," said Stephanie Baghdassarian, research director at Gartner. "Games remain the No. 1 application, and mobile shopping, social networking, utilities and productivity tools continue to grow and attract increasing amounts of money."

Some reports this week noted that Apple served up 2.5 billion App Store downloads in 2009, which would give the company an incredible 99.4 percent of mobile app sales for the year. Rival firm comScore fired back by saying the numbers simply don't add up.

One analysis in December concluded that 75 percent of App Store offerings are paid, though it did not make the distinction as to what percentage of total downloads were paid. In August, one firm estimated that Apple's annual revenue from the App Store earns it $2.4 billion. If that number and Gartner's $4.2 billion estimate for 2009 are accurate, Apple commands well more than half of the worldwide mobile application revenue.

Wintek strike caught on film

Chinese employees of iPhone part supplier Wintek have been upset over what they feel are unfair wages, in addition to alleged exposure to toxic chemicals that they believe led to the deaths of four co-workers. Last week, workers damaged equipment and vehicles during a demonstration.

The Epoch Times (via Google Translate) said that 300 riot police were present in an attempt to control the crowd, but they didn't have much luck. As the footage shows, rioters were grabbing whatever they could to hurl at police who stood in the distance. The publication also has video footage of the incident.



Apple's parts suppliers and manufacturers in China have come under fire for alleged health and human rights violations before. Last July, an uadit of Apple's partners in mainland china found that 45 of 83 factories that built iPhones and iPods in 2008 weren't paying valid overtime rates for those workers that qualified. In addition, 23 of those factories weren't even paying some of their workers China's minimum wage.
post #2 of 20
Youtube Video mirror:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDErePD4F94
post #3 of 20
"As Apple has started the 'app store' crazy"

Let's all do the App Store Crazy!!

post #4 of 20
On the riot video, I was expecting more action, they seem to have run out of wood to throw. And, looks like there is no shortage of camera's
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchies View Post

Youtube Video mirror:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDErePD4F94

You call that a riot? Where's the destruction of property? The molotov cocktails? The teargas?

Looked more lke a concert that got a little out of hand. People laughing in the back, on their phones, taking pics.

Jeezus, if you're gonna go, go big.
post #6 of 20
you pay me now!
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #7 of 20
I see riot police and I see spectators.

I see no people rioting, perhaps if they spray painted themselves red and green, called themselves a race, then we can have a real riot.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #8 of 20
The funny thing about this is that probably more people OUTSIDE of China will see this video than people living WITHIN China. Any word from the state-controlled press will paint a picture of a "few" disgruntled individuals who vandalized and destroyed private property, all to the detriment of the government's stated axiom that "to get rich is glorious".

I expect the Chinese government to make quick efforts to identify the individuals primarily responsible for organizing or suggesting the strike, and quietly "taking care" of the matter.
post #9 of 20
Very poor wording of headline - please fix. "Earn" refers to Net Income (or Profit) in commonly used financial parlance.

The correct headline would be: "Mobile apps projected to have $6.2B in revenues in 2010."
post #10 of 20
the dinner last night of chicken beak soup was cold.
post #11 of 20
Why do companies want to deal with China? Can you trust them them to treat their workers properly? Can you trust them to not pollute the planet? They are already buying our resources and shipping it to back to China.
If you want a place with cheap labor and few government rules, but rules that are enforced, go to Indonesia. Epson and HP make product there.
If anyone is interested (Apple) let me know. I have connections.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Very poor wording of headline - please fix. "Earn" refers to Net Income (or Profit) in commonly used financial parlance.

The correct headline would be: "Mobile apps projected to have $6.2B in revenues in 2010."

yep. i wish these tech writers would understand that to anyone with the smallest amount of financial knowledge (and yeah, there are those who would say that's what i have! LOL), these kinds of stupid mistakes are akin to a financial writer confusing ram with hard drive storage--or worse. Neither should be allowed to write about the other industry, if they can't do better than that.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Application stores on mobile handsets will see more than 4.5 billion downloads in 2010, earning $6.2 billion in revenue, a new study has found; and footage from a violent employee strike at an iPhone part supplier has surfaced.

Gartner: Application stores worth $29.4B by 2013

The title says Mobile Applications, the text says App Stores, which is it? After all Mobile Apps are already at $7 billion now. And since app stores were only $353 million last year, how do they expect it to get to $6.2 billion this year?
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

Why do companies want to deal with China? Can you trust them them to treat their workers properly? Can you trust them to not pollute the planet? They are already buying our resources and shipping it to back to China.
If you want a place with cheap labor and few government rules, but rules that are enforced, go to Indonesia. Epson and HP make product there.
If anyone is interested (Apple) let me know. I have connections.


Yea, but it's the vast market of China that is so appealing and the hope that with enough influence, China will open up even further.

Capitalism needs new markets to survive.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #15 of 20
Hey guys, did you notice how the police did (not) respond US style - beating and arresting protestors. For those who are looking for China to become a US style democracy - try following China policy developments and responses to public pressure and needs. Lets see what happens with Wintek. I'm guessing there may be some serious reforms.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyak View Post

Hey guys, did you notice how the police did (not) respond US style - beating and arresting protestors. For those who are looking for China to become a US style democracy - try following China policy developments and responses to public pressure and needs. Lets see what happens with Wintek. I'm guessing there may be some serious reforms.

Respond to what? Some yelling blokes? As soneone also said above, this is NOT a riot. Not even close to what you see at Anti-Global rallies...
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Respond to what? Some yelling blokes? As soneone also said above, this is NOT a riot. Not even close to what you see at Anti-Global rallies...

Yes but you get arrested in the US for yelling at a cop so there goes that.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Yes but you get arrested in the US for yelling at a cop so there goes that.

I am not a lawyer, and have never personally raised my voice to the police, but as far as I know, they cannot arrest you for that. What they can do is get you for disturbing the peace if you are being vulgar and obscene. If you yell at police however, they may arrest you for things that would ordinarily be overlooked but can be arrestible offences in some places.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #19 of 20
Is that a big stylus lying on the road in the middle of the pic?

I bet that is what they were upset about - there is no way you could use that thing on a 10.1" tablet screen. No way! Steve is right, we have to use our fingers.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Apple's parts suppliers and manufacturers in China have come under fire for alleged health and human rights violations before.
.

what a hit piece. Yea, these giant manufactures in China ONLY build for APPLE. Does it ever occur to these writers that one company does not tell these giant government controlled companies what to do.......

And yes I said govt. controlled. While they may not directly control operations, all the government has to do if the company does something that they do not like is make up fake charges, and put the CEO and staff in jail (ie make them disappear).

PS, try the milk and toothpaste. All those toxic chemicals make it taste great..... and you get to glow in the dark. LOL

Just a thought,
en
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Mobile apps projected to earn $6.2B in 2010; Wintek riot captured on film
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobile apps projected to earn $6.2B in 2010; Wintek riot captured on film