or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple, Microsoft in talks to make Bing default iPhone search - report

Apple, Microsoft in talks to make Bing default iPhone search - report

post #1 of 80
Once bitter rivals in the PC landscape, Apple and Microsoft could now partner to make Bing the default search engine of the iPhone, in an effort to counter the market dominance of search giant Google.

According to BusinessWeek, Apple has been in talks with Microsoft for weeks. The publication cited two people allegedly familiar with the ongoing negotiations.

Microsoft could also be looking to make Bing search an option in the Safari browser on the Mac. Currently, Google and Yahoo are the only options.

"Apple and Google know the other is their primary enemy," one of the sources allegedly told BusinessWeek. "Microsoft is now a pawn in that battle."

The source also spoke of Apple's interest in serving mobile advertisements on the iPhone and iPod touch. Earlier this month, Apple purchased mobile advertising firm Quattro Wireless for $275 million, a move that was largely seen as an effort to counter Google's acquisition of ad firm AdMob.

Through the deal, Andy Miller, former CEO of Quattro, was named vice president of Mobile Advertising at Apple, a new position for the company which previously had no role in selling ads.

Last week, one report said that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs hopes to "overhaul mobile advertising in the same way they had revolutionized music players and phones." Apple could offer developers the ability to place advertisements in their App Store software, and take a cut of the revenue much like Google already does.

The alleged negotiations with Microsoft for Bing search are another example of the growing rivalry between Apple and Google. Last summer, Google CEO Eric Schmidt resigned from the Apple Board of Directors as an investigation from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission was looking into the connections between the two companies.

Schmidt's move was seen as necessary as Google and Apple now compete in numerous markets in the technology sector: Google's Android mobile operating system competes with Apple's iPhone; both companies recently made large mobile advertising related purchases; Google's forthcoming Chrome OS will see the company enter the desktop computing space; and the Chrome browser competes with Apple's Safari.

The most public dispute between Apple and Google came last summer, when the Google Voice application was not accepted into the iPhone App Store. The two companies shared barbs with Google alleging the software was outright rejected for use on the iPhone, while Apple said it remained under review and consideration.
post #2 of 80
Hmmmmmmmmm.... that sounds grotesque. I would rather Apple developed their own.
post #3 of 80
No. Just, no.
post #4 of 80
No thank you. I really prefer Google for search.
post #5 of 80
As long as I have the option to choose which one to set as my own default, I'm fine.

If this is like the Bing on Blackberry takeover, then I'm giving up and jailbreaking the phone.
lmao internet
lmao internet
post #6 of 80
"Apple and Google know the other is their primary enemy," one of the sources allegedly told BusinessWeek. "Microsoft is now a pawn in that battle."

So true.

And I am all for a big can of whupass for google. If you guys think that so much control in the hands of a single corporation will do no evil, you haven't been around the block.
post #7 of 80
I don't think this is likely - at all, but I do like the idea of Microsoft being relegated to the status of a pawn! Finally, it is where it truly belongs...

Might this not just be a clever negotiating tactic by Apple to bring Google into line?
post #8 of 80
This rift that has developed between Apple and Google is worrying. I use several of Google's services (chiefly GMail) so I really don't want to see the iPhone handle these any worse than it already does. GMail is still poor on the iPhone and Google Maps is way behind it's Android Counterpart.

It surely can't be good for Apple either to go up against Google. Big as Apple are, Google are far more powerful and will only become more so as Android takes over and Chrome OS comes out.

As for Bing, it works great so why not add it, but as an option.
post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft could also be looking to make Bing search an option in the Safari browser on the Mac. Currently, Google and Yahoo are the only options.

There's an option for Safari to use Yahoo for search? Where?

Not that I'd want to - I'm just curious where this option might be hidden since having searched for several minutes I've failed to find it in any of the obvious places.

It doesn't seem like a very Apple-like feature to let the user select their search engine; surely Steve Jobs decides which is the best one and that's what you get?

Socrates
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
post #10 of 80
Google Maps seems to be another concern for me. I like its presentation and format.

In comparison, Bing Maps (as seen in the Bing app) render slowly and are plagued with jpeg artifacts (on map, not satellite view).
lmao internet
lmao internet
post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

There's an option for Safari to use Yahoo for search? Where?

Not that I'd want to - I'm just curious where this option might be hidden since having searched for several minutes I've failed to find it in any of the obvious places.

Settings > Safari > Search Engine
lmao internet
lmao internet
post #12 of 80
I've never seen Yahoo as an option for search, not that I would want to use it.

And no way do I want Bing either.

If Apple fight Google, they'll lose.
post #13 of 80
I agree with anonymous guy, I want the option of which search provider to use.
post #14 of 80
If I lose the option to choose my search provider, I will ditch the iPhone. I'm not interested in business games.

If it's just a change of the default, I don't care as I can always change it after the fact.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #15 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rd View Post

I want the option to decide which programs run in the background.
post #16 of 80
Probably Apple has something to let go to MS that will make finder engine out of Bing. Otherwise it just keeps searching...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #17 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

If I lose the option to choose my search provider, I will ditch the iPhone. I'm not interested in business games.

If it's just a change of the default, I don't care as I can always change it after the fact.

Something similar happened with Verizon and the Blackberry not too long ago: http://www.cio.com/article/511401/Ve...ackBerry_Users

Seemingly, this move was pushed more by the provider than by the handset manufacturer. But if the manufacturer chooses to make this move, expect the overhaul to be much more dramatic.
lmao internet
lmao internet
post #18 of 80
No thank You! It's terrible in Europe!
post #19 of 80
I don't like the idea of switching to an inferior alternative out of spite.
post #20 of 80
NEVER!

I will NEVER buy any app that has ads in it. That's part of what you should be getting when you pay for an app; NO ADS.
post #21 of 80
Settings, safari, search engine is where you go to change search providers.
post #22 of 80
They never learn do they?
post #23 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Hmmmmmmmmm.... that sounds grotesque. I would rather Apple developed their own.

Far easier said than done. They seem to have the data centers to do so, but making a relevant search engine is something that takes highly specialized people. I don't think it fits Apple's aims, people might buy iPods to better use the iTunes store, but I don't think people would buy iPhones so they can better use an Apple search engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

It doesn't seem like a very Apple-like feature to let the user select their search engine; surely Steve Jobs decides which is the best one and that's what you get?

Socrates

I had thought Apple only offered Google, but I did manage to find a way to switch to Yahoo! once I heard there was an option. I don't know if putting app settings in the System Settings is a good idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

NEVER!

I will NEVER buy any app that has ads in it. That's part of what you should be getting when you pay for an app; NO ADS.

All the apps with ads I've seen so far are free, so that fits your requirements.
post #24 of 80
As distasteful as the idea of huddling up close to Microsoft may be, and as worrisome as it is that Google has become so dominant, we all have to look in the mirror when it comes to online search. We've all become so used to free search that we can't imagine paying for it. And yet, such a service has enormous costs.

I wonder how many people would be willing to pay a monthly/annual subscription for the value of what Google provides each time you type something in that search box? (One would like to think that the results would thus be ad-free, but cable TV has shown us that subscription services are no antidote for annoying ads.) I suspect that, after a decade of excellent free search services, drastic change may be in the winds...
post #25 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

All the apps with ads I've seen so far are free, so that fits your requirements.

If I recall correctly the CNN app has ads and they charge for it - unless of course they've changed it since they first launched it (ads before each of the video clips).
post #26 of 80
Why someone would want to put on its platform a immature search engine full of security holes and sneaking some funky Microsoft solution that does not have much to do with pure searching?

What kind of deal would Microsoft offer Apple?

Now I know that Apple-Google relations may not be the best, but I bet they are far from bad.
post #27 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

If I recall correctly the CNN app has ads and they charge for it - unless of course they've changed it since they first launched it (ads before each of the video clips).

You're right, but that wasn't one of the programs I had downloaded, I didn't know about it. It does come up in the reviews. I don't think anyone should be shocked in that case though, you have to pay to get ads on their cable video channel.

You can get to the mobile web site in Safari, If there are apps, I managed to tune them out pretty well.
post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

No thank you. I really prefer Google for search.

I did a trrent search once on bing for free tv shows seeing how the fashion online ABC eg, won't work. Got zero hits. Maybe that's why apple likes them?
post #29 of 80
Strategically, this move isn't the worst one. Google threatens.
Well, we all will continue to use free Google app, while Bing will be spreading its wings.
Heh, GOOG seems pwned

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #30 of 80
Bing is nothing more than a steaming pile of dog crap!!!

I came to this conclusion after giving it an honest open-minded try...
post #31 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Strategically, this move isn't the worst one. Google threatens.
Well, we all will continue to use free Google app, while Bing will be spreading its wings.
Heh, GOOG seems pwned

Are there more Android pones sold than Windows Mobile?
post #32 of 80
I don't think it's true. It's actually a rumour.
post #33 of 80
Why Bing? why not yahoo or something else?
post #34 of 80
Anyone knows what you get from Bing if you search for help with a Mac issue? I once did and got all kinds of crap trying to lure me over to the Windows world.

Anyone tried to resolve a Microsoft issue using Bing? I use Google to search the Microsoft documentation.

I have tried Bing a few times, but never found anything useful with it.
post #35 of 80
Yeah and Steve Jobs is going to release his own clothing line. Pull the other one.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #36 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are there more Android pones sold than Windows Mobile?

Ummm... Can't say. Not that I care much...

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #37 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rd View Post

post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

I don't think this is likely - at all, but I do like the idea of Microsoft being relegated to the status of a pawn! Finally, it is where it truly belongs...

Might this not just be a clever negotiating tactic by Apple to bring Google into line?

if you are going that route, how about a clever tactic to make Bing seem cooler by associating it with the hip brand of Apple.
post #39 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if you are going that route, how about a clever tactic to make Bing seem cooler by associating it with the hip brand of Apple.

Ahhh . . . interesting point.
post #40 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

NEVER!

I second this sentiment. For any app that has both a Paid and Free variant, I purchase the Paid app for the simple reason that I do not like having ads thrown at my face. With such a limited amount of screen real estate, ads become really annoying, really fast on the iPhone. I can only hope that Apple chooses not to venture down the same road as Google has.

Edit: As for Bing, I say why not. There has been some positive buzz generated about Bing lately, and if it fosters competition with Google's search monopoly, then I commend Microsoft and Apple for working together to provide alternative choices. Choice is good.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple, Microsoft in talks to make Bing default iPhone search - report