or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations

Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations

post #1 of 56
U.S. publishers are reportedly negotiating tablet-related content deals with Apple in New York; a list of potential component suppliers for the hardware has surfaced, including a P.A. Semi-designed processor; and new allegations claim Time Inc. has little knowledge of the tablet.

Don't expect Time Inc. at next week's event - report

Sources with Time Inc. told MediaMemo's Peter Kafka that "Apple has only recently started" sharing details about its forthcoming device, and even those discussions have minimal details. Most of the talks between Time and Apple reportedly took place within the last few weeks.

Because of this, Time Inc. doesn't have anything to show off at next week's product unveiling, when Apple has promised it will show off its "latest creation." But, Kafka said, Time remains "intensely interested" in the device.

"But for now, Time Inc. executives are thinking about this stuff in a bit of vacuum, because they don’t know exactly what Steve Jobs has up his sleeve," the report said. "Tease that out a bit and you can tell the story of most media companies: They’re excited to start taking advantage of the tablet–as soon as they find out what it is, exactly."

In December, Time Inc. released a video demonstrating how users might read Sports Illustrated on a tablet-like device. Some members of the press were also allowed to test working demos of the concept.

P.A. Semi chip rumored to power tablet, Hon Hai to manufacture

A new note Wednesday from UBS Investment Research cited industry checks in forecasting that the Apple tablet will be powered by a processor designed by P.A. Semi and built by Samsung. Analyst Maynard Um said it would likely be a complex system on a chip design.

Um pegged Hon Hai Precision Co. as the manufacturer for the tablet, and said LG Display will likely supply most of the screens, with AUO being a second source.

Other parts noted by UBS were:

Connectors from Chen Uei and Hon Hai
Wintek, Sintek and TPK as touch suppliers
Batteries from Simplo and Dynapack
NAND flash memory from Samsung
Broadcom to provide a "combo" chip for connectivity
The note said the tablet is expected to hit the market at some point in the first half of 2010.

"Key will be timing and price points, in order to asses how material it could be for suppliers," Um wrote. "In addition, how convincing the device will be could generate debate as per whether the tablet device category could be revived and help overall demand."

Apple purchased fabless chip designer P.A. Semi for $278 million in 2008. The company specialized in sophisticated but low-power designs.

Top publishers in New York for Apple negotiations

Bookseller.com, referencing a report from Publishers Marketplace, said Wednesday that "secret" negotiations are taking place between Apple and "nearly all (and most likely all) of the six largest trade publishers" in the U.S. The talks are reportedly underway in New York as Apple preps to unveil its tablet next week.

Those involved said that it's possible a deal may not be reached in time for the Jan. 27 event. It also noted that publishers could be "seeking greater control over pricing and supply of digital material."

The rumors follow a report from earlier this week that Apple was in talks with publisher HarperCollins to sell e-books on the tablet, with a business model that would follow that of the existing App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch. Typical bestseller releases could cost about $9.99, and Apple would give publishers 70 percent of the revenue, while keeping a 30 percent share for itself.
post #2 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Don't expect Time Inc. at next week's event - report

But, Kafka said, Time remains "intensely interested" in the device.

I state it officially:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If, by any chance, Time's content naggingly appears on the French list of subscriptions, I will boycott tablet.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #3 of 56
Quote:

Connectors from Chen Uei and Hon Ha

I'm curious to know which connectors will be included. Will it only be a dock connector? Will there be a USB port (keyboards, cameras, GPS devices, flash drives, etc)?

How about an HD video out connector (miniDP?) like the Zune HD has? I'm still looking for an easy way to bring my iTunes video to a friend's house to watch, and you can't do that with any current iPod or iPhone, and I refuse to invest in HD video from iTunes if I can't take it with me.

I will be disappointed if the only connectors it has are a dock connector and a headphone jack.
post #4 of 56
Why would Time be apprehensive about Apples media device? I bet if it was a microsoft product they would rush head first in some sort of deal with them.
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why would Time be apprehensive about Apples media device? I bet if it was a microsoft product they would rush head first in some sort of deal with them.

My guess is because the publishing industry does not want Apple to create a stranglehold on their products like they did with music. They just need to realize Apple is trying to do them a favor, much like with pushing music to the digital mainstream.
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

My guess is because the publishing industry does not want Apple to create a stranglehold on their products like they did with music. They just need to realize Apple is trying to do them a favor, much like with pushing music to the digital mainstream.

Stranglehold? Apple provided the only way forward for the music industry. They should all be kissing Jobs' ring finger for helping those worthless executives keep their positions.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 56
I wonder if Steve's still pissed at Time over the iMac G4.
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I state it officially:
If, by any chance, Time's content naggingly appears on the French list of subscriptions, I will boycott tablet.

Is that like saying that if Rap music appears on iTunes as a voluntary purchase, I'll bin my iPod?
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I will be disappointed if the only connectors it has are a dock connector and a headphone jack.

Yeah, but if that is all it has, it will be because that will be all you need. Nobody else will want any more ports. Everybody will realize that the provided ports are the best, and that any additional ports would have made the product worse.

Apple will not give users what users want. Instead, it will give users what Apple knows is best for them.

Just like a nanny. When us kids ask to drink milk, our iNanny gives us delicious Apple juice! And then we all realize that it is PERFECT.
post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Yeah, but if that is all it has, it will be because that will be all you need. Nobody else will want any more ports. Everybody will realize that the provided ports are the best, and that any additional ports would have made the product worse.

Apple will not give users what users want. Instead, it will give users what Apple knows is best for them.

Just like a nanny. When us kids ask to drink milk, our iNanny gives us delicious Apple juice! And then we all realize that it is PERFECT.

Your trolling fails in the light of Firewire, which was restored owing to user demand.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Stranglehold? Apple provided the only way forward for the music industry. They should all be kissing Jobs' ring finger for helping those worthless executives keep their positions.

I completely agree with you, which is why the publishing comanies should be doing the same. But the music companies consider Apple a necessary evil, seeing as how they are much more in favor of giving Amazon, last.fm, et al much better licensing deals.
post #12 of 56

Don't think of "Time" as just a magazine anymore

Also includes the Time/Warner/et al Media Conglomerate

And if they have the same Corporate Smarts as that other famous Media Conglomerate currently in the news

G.E./NBC

Well, we all see how well they're doing these days in the foresight and intelligence department

(smile)

BC
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Is that like saying that if Rap music appears on iTunes as a voluntary purchase, I'll bin my iPod?

No. What I've said matches the statement "if iTunes Store favors the rapper, I will trash my iPod" (well, I don't own iPod, but I will urge my family to do so)

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #14 of 56
I wonder if this means Apple will take (or have already taken) a Cortex A8 or A9 reference design, and built a SoC around it, of if they actually made their OWN processor design around the ARM architecture.

In either case, it would have to be pretty damn impressive to compete with the Tegra 2 with its dual Cortex A9 goodness, or the future Snapdragon with two 1.5GHz Snapdragon cores.

The inner hardware geek in me is hoping Apple reveals a quad-CortexA9 design with dual SGX graphics cores. But thats just wishful thinking :-P
post #15 of 56
Quote:

Nice English, Genius.

All your bases are belong to us?
post #16 of 56
let's see, if we look at the latest rumors, as of 27 january the tablet will:

not have a deal with publishers in place;
not have a deal with networks for a tv subscription model;
have a quirky multitasking implementation;
have bing as the default search engine;
be released for sale in june;
cost $999 and still require a carrier.

that's a deal-breaker: i cannot justify buying a device that has bing as a default search engine.
La vendetta migliore é il perdono
post #17 of 56
Quote:

It probably went like this:

Apple: Prepare your content/app to these specs and to function in this manner...

Time: But, what will it run on? How will it work? What are the specs? We need to see/use it first.

Apple: You will see it on 27 January, just like everybody else. Prepare your content/app to these specs and to function in this manner... That's all the info anyone is getting right now.

Time: We'll just let that ship sail, and whine about it.
post #18 of 56
Who cares about deals with publishers? It's not like each one of us doesn't have tons of pdfs anyway, and millions of websites that are free newspapers, magazines, portals etc. etc. I won't be looking to replace my print copies of some magazines I subscribe to anyway, I ll be looking to complement them.

Who want another system like the kindle where they stiff you by having you pay twice the price to get the same print and electronic content. Free digital content with every print content you buy is the only way to go. Yet somehow the publishing biz wants to be the music biz and have us buy two and three times in different formats (digital, vinyl, cassete, cd) what we already own. F. that. I have promised myself I will never buy a digital book unless they give me the option to include a print book with that for a nominal fee. Somehow these geniuses would like us to believe that a print copy with all the time and money and material and shipment costs should cost $20 say and the digital kindle version $18. What a load of rubbish. As long as I buy something in print I should rightfully purchase the right to use it in my electronic devices.
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Lavori View Post

let's see, if we look at the latest rumors, as of 27 january the tablet will:

not have a deal with publishers in place;
not have a deal with networks for a tv subscription model;
have a quirky multitasking implementation;
have bing as the default search engine;
be released for sale in june;
cost $999 and still require a carrier.

that's a deal-breaker: i cannot justify buying a device that has bing as a default search engine.

Of all those complaints, bing is the deal-breaker?
It would only take a few seconds to switch to google or yahoo.

Besides, why judge a tablet by its rumors?
post #20 of 56
Apple is the largest purveyor of 'paid for music,' albeit, $0.99/song. And yet over 90% of all music downloaded is still 'pirated!'

The music industry needs to come up with a better business model than they had in the 1980's ($18 CD's) and better than the model Apple has right now! Good luck with that.

The publishers are in the same boat. Get on board with Apple or come up with a better business model than they currently have which is basically, cutting down trees and putting most of their product produced unread in a landfill or recycle bins!
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhead View Post

Of all those complaints, bing is the deal-breaker?
It would only take a few seconds to switch to google or yahoo.

Besides, why judge a tablet by its rumors?

[sarcasm]
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I wonder if this means Apple will take (or have already taken) a Cortex A8 or A9 reference design, and built a SoC around it, of if they actually made their OWN processor design around the ARM architecture.

In either case, it would have to be pretty damn impressive to compete with the Tegra 2 with its dual Cortex A9 goodness, or the future Snapdragon with two 1.5GHz Snapdragon cores.

Samsung's Hummingbird (1Ghz 45nm Cortex A8) was reportedly very fast so they aren't slouches.

Going to the A9 fixes one of Tegra's biggest shortfalls. What apple might want is more GPU performance (more than the SGX535) than the normal Cortex designs if there is to be a focus on games. That's one of Tegra's strong points (no surprise)...the assumption is that Tegra 2 will outperform the SGX545.

I hope that the tablet will have the SGX545. Tegra 2 might be a bit faster but it shouldn't be a slouch.

So my guess is a Samsung Cortex A9 design tweaked by PA Semi with a SGX545 for GPU. Not exactly out there as a risky prediction.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I wonder if Steve's still pissed at Time over the iMac G4.

Didn't Time Canada release their cover with the iLamp a day early too? I thought I recalled Time busting an Apple story early at least 2-3 times. I would keep them in the dark if I were Steve too.
post #24 of 56
I'd like it if they did have a way to deliever newspaper/magazine content well. I love my Kindle for books, but the way it deals with newspapers (I subscribe to the Times) is crappy - really badly formatted.

It would be great if they came up with a way that you could view the page exactly as it is in the print version, then could zoom in on articles etc....
post #25 of 56
Quote:

Ill never understand these personal attacks toward a company. What they produce is NOT a personal attack on you. They are trying to make money and finding the best way they know to do it. If you like what they offer then buy it, if you dont then shop elsewhere. If no one makes it then create your company to fill the gap, if you think there is a market for it. Its that fraking simple.

Apple WILL put the ports that it feels are best suited to sell this device in droves. That mean finding ways to exclude ports as well as finding ways to add ports. Adding more just to add it isnt usually in the consumers best interests.

Personally, id like to see mDP on the device since it can transfer USB data at 750Mbps and I like the small size over the larger, 9-year old 30-pin dock connector. I bet you can find ways to complain about Apple only using the same connector for nearly a decade.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, with Apple's 75% of the digital music distribution, the music industry is forced to comply with Apple's fixed prices. This only changed a bit with the 69/99/129 cents system, which was Apple's side of the bargain in exchange for iTunes Plus all around (DRM, CD-quality).

The funny thing is, while Apple plays the good guy and the music labels try to fsck their costumers even more, when a movie has some scenes cut, when an album has a glitch or a song missing or when a song costs $1.39, all you read on the comments section is whining about "stupid iTunes" or "greedy Apple", even though Apple isn't the one who selects and sells the content...

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #27 of 56
Quote:

I completely agree with you, which is why the publishing comanies should be doing the same. But the music companies consider Apple a necessary evil, seeing as how they are much more in favor of giving Amazon, last.fm, et al much better licensing deals.

The publishers have the iTMS history to pull from while the music labels had no idea what was in store for them. This seemed to backfire on Apple (and the AppleTV) when Apple tried this with the healthy movie studios, but the publishers cant play hardball like they did.

The publishers are hurting with many going completely under each year and most seemingly having to downsize to keep their heads above water. They may think they can butt heads but all Apple needs is one publisher, one catalyst to make the others want to whitewash the fence. As much as they may hate giving Apple control they have no choice.

Just like with music, TV and movies being distributed by many online vendors I think this will be the same. I think the iTunes LP and Extras were first designed for the tablet for distributing content and I have to think that they have a Publication Design Kit in place, not just the documentation and examples that we saw for the iTunes LP and Extras. Hopefully we get to see it.
post #28 of 56
Given Apple's track record, it'd behoove the publishers to sit and listen, and not talk too much. They shouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water; pennies on the dollar is probably more than they'd make selling magazines and papers in the next decade.
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Samsung's Hummingbird (1Ghz 45nm Cortex A8) was reportedly very fast so they aren't slouches.
So my guess is a Samsung Cortex A9 design tweaked by PA Semi with a SGX545 for GPU. Not exactly out there as a risky prediction.

I have to admit, the specs on the processor is one of the exciting things for me. My bet is that it will have a few real surprises.

I am also hoping for a full OSX, but find that a lot less likely. If there is no way to do real word processing, I will be really disappointed. I would also like to have Adobe Lightroom on it.

If all we have is a reader on steroids, it WILL be disappointing.
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I am also hoping for a full OSX, but find that a lot less likely. If there is no way to do real word processing, I will be really disappointed. I would also like to have Adobe Lightroom on it.

Itll be full OSX but I dont see how it can be Mac OS X. How well would Lightroom work on a 10 display that uses your fingers to navigate? I had a 10 MSI Wind with Mac OS X installed. Mac OS X is not ideal for a 10 display, even when using something as simple as Safari or looking at your Dashboard Widgets. I cant imagine how bad it would be for productivity apps.
post #31 of 56
Quote:

Yes, yes. Apple is doing us all a favor by selling us something. What a benevolent company they are. We can all thank God or Steve for allow Apple to sell us commoners products. I get goose bumps just at the thought of all that Apple goodness poring forth from Cupertino.
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ill never understand these personal attacks toward a company. What they produce is NOT a personal attack on you. They are trying to make money and finding the best way they know to do it. If you like what they offer then buy it, if you dont then shop elsewhere. If no one makes it then create your company to fill the gap, if you think there is a market for it. Its that fraking simple.

Apple WILL put the ports that it feels are best suited to sell this device in droves. That mean finding ways to exclude ports as well as finding ways to add ports. Adding more just to add it isnt usually in the consumers best interests.

Personally, id like to see mDP on the device since it can transfer USB data at 750Mbps and I like the small size over the larger, 9-year old 30-pin dock connector. I bet you can find ways to complain about Apple only using the same connector for nearly a decade.

Another great post. You said it. Apple in the business to make money. They are not the shining beacon on a hill. They are a company that makes innovative products, makes new innovative products out of old technology and so on. At the end of the day, they are a biz, first and foremost.
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Well, with Apple's 75% of the digital music distribution, the music industry is forced to comply with Apple's fixed prices. This only changed a bit with the 69/99/129 cents system, which was Apple's side of the bargain in exchange for iTunes Plus all around (DRM, CD-quality).

The funny thing is, while Apple plays the good guy and the music labels try to fsck their costumers even more, when a movie has some scenes cut, when an album has a glitch or a song missing or when a song costs $1.39, all you read on the comments section is whining about "stupid iTunes" or "greedy Apple", even though Apple isn't the one who selects and sells the content...

At the risk of irritating the record labels even more, I hope Apple is able to become the exclusive distributor of some high profile artists in the future, acting as a distributor to connect artist with consumer in a more direct way. I bet Apple adopts some Twitter-like functionality on artist pages in the future also.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 56
I would call the iTablet.......................The iSlablet.....just because it sounds funny and in we used to call "ho's", slabs or slabbies or butt slabs.
post #35 of 56
As we've heard in the rumors, the tablet will likely be targeted at leisure computing such as magazines, books among other medias. I subscribe to quite a few magazines, mostly art and architecture. I just don't think I would enjoy them as much in a digital form on a small screen since they are mostly visually oriented in subject matter.

Finding and sampling of magazines does sound appealing to me so rather than buying the digital version I would be much more interested in searching for and then previewing various publications which might lead to actually subscribing to the printed version.

On the other hand the new format could work well for world publishers to gain exposure to foreign markets where postage and delay for printed versions might be a deterrent to many potential readers.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #36 of 56
Quote:

... and new allegations claim Time Inc. has little knowledge of the tablet.

Allegations... doesn't that mean accusations of wrongdoing? Oh my, the plot thickens.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Yes, yes. Apple is doing us all a favor by selling us something. What a benevolent company they are. We can all thank God or Steve for allow Apple to sell us commoners products. I get goose bumps just at the thought of all that Apple goodness poring forth from Cupertino.

Oh c'mon. That's weak. No one's forcing you to buy anything (least of all, Apple).

Add: Oops. I see you were being sarcastic...... pls ignore my post.
post #38 of 56
Last year i read an article about Rupert Murdoch and he was asked what plans he had to get mainstream news websites charging for its content. He replied, The current days of the internet will soon be over.

At first i thought he was planning something evil but he was making reference to the fact that corporate media websites cannot continue to survive under their current failing business model.

I'm beginning to wonder now if he knew something about this tablet device.

Maybe not but he is all powerful.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Last year i read an article about Rupert Murdoch and he was asked what plans he had to get mainstream news websites charging for its content. He replied, The current days of the internet will soon be over.

The New York Times has announced that they will soon be charging for internet access, next year I believe. I thought this was already deemed to be failed model (with the exception of the Wall Street Journal) but it seems to be making a comeback. I suspect the newspapers in particular are anticipating a new breed of internet devices that will be received by the public as 1:1 substitutes for newsprint, which conventional web browser access has never been fully. So I don't think this means Murdoch necessarily knows something specific about Apple's plans.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Last year i read an article about Rupert Murdoch and he was asked what plans he had to get mainstream news websites charging for its content. He replied, “The current days of the internet will soon be over.”

At first i thought he was planning something evil but he was making reference to the fact that corporate media websites cannot continue to survive under their current failing business model.

I'm beginning to wonder now if he knew something about this tablet device.

Maybe not but he is all powerful.

http://www.internetretailer.com/dail...a=track&ref=ya

Doh! They just signed an exclusive with Sony. That's kinda like signing an exclusive to only be on Palm PDAs just before the Blackberry crushed them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations