or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations

Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Good luck, Print Industry dictating terms to Apple. Apple are offering you access to millions of credit cards and what are they offering? Content that most people prefer on paper. At a 70-30 split...if they can't see you have to speculate to accumulate then they can take their dinosaur ways and shrivel and die. I don't care about Newspapers dying. Overpriced pap most of them. Magazines. Regurgitating the same content over and over again. Marvel Comics? Screw the big comics companies. Eating their own vommit of pointless and hollow re-invention for how long?

In the internet era? Most of the really interesting stuff is coming from small independents. The big boys still don't get it. Like M$, they think their previous stranglehold will work on the digital frontier?

Wrong. And they will be proven wrong. Because people can move in the blink of a hypertext link.

Print industry? You'll suck it up and like it.

If you don't. I'll get my 'free news' from elsewhere on the internet. I've done quite well without the the times so far. *Shrugs.

I'd rather read blogs and smaller press outlets. I don't want to pay to hear a 'Murdoch' 2D spin on what I'm supposed to think... *Shrugs.

And they'd better offer damn good prices for me to replace the tactile feedback of a good paper book. Good luck with that. You're going to need it.

I don't see me buying books on it. I'll happily stay luddite for some time in this respect.

I don't need some big company to be my conduit on the internet. I want direct access to the creator. Apple as a gate-keeper with iTunes? Hmm. I'll look into how they do with the print industry thing. But I recently bought a digital book (ironic in light of my comments...) for much cheaper than the print price. Got it downloaded and used Apple's Preview to view it as PDA doc. Ez. I'd look at it on my tablet if I get it. I suppose.

It's a case of wait and see for me. Print industry and content creation of said is an area of interest to me. And if Apple allows independent creators of quality content to join the 'e-print' revolution of distribution on their iTunes store...I'll look into it. 30-70. It's better than the rate Diamond Comics Distributors gives to Independent Comic Publishers...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Apple will not give users what users want. Just like a nanny. When us kids ask to drink milk, our iNanny gives us delicious Apple juice! And then we all realize that it is PERFECT.

Um, apple juice is just about completely sugar. Definitely not better for you than a glass of milk. Nutritionists routinely suggest that parents not give children apple juice. Just rots teeth.
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

in order to asses how

Bit vulgar and unnecessary.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm curious to know which connectors will be included. Will it only be a dock connector? Will there be a USB port (keyboards, cameras, GPS devices, flash drives, etc)?

How about an HD video out connector (miniDP?) like the Zune HD has? I'm still looking for an easy way to bring my iTunes video to a friend's house to watch, and you can't do that with any current iPod or iPhone, and I refuse to invest in HD video from iTunes if I can't take it with me.

I will be disappointed if the only connectors it has are a dock connector and a headphone jack.

Hey, you know you can plug your iPhone or iPod into any TV? The dock connector has 2 versions - component video or composite. Quality is very good - but SD only.

Personally I'd like to see
* a HD output matching whatever they plan with the AppleTV,
* USB - for backing up without a computer, or syncing directly to an iPod, maybe printing, whatever
* SD Card slot for photos & HD video input
* dock connector
* headphone jack.

Is that too much?
post #45 of 56
Quote:

I'm curious to know which connectors will be included. Will it only be a dock connector? Will there be a USB port (keyboards, cameras, GPS devices, flash drives, etc)?

How about an HD video out connector (miniDP?) like the Zune HD has? I'm still looking for an easy way to bring my iTunes video to a friend's house to watch, and you can't do that with any current iPod or iPhone, and I refuse to invest in HD video from iTunes if I can't take it with me.

I will be disappointed if the only connectors it has are a dock connector and a headphone jack.

A dock of some sort can be assumed but I'm not going to say it will be the same type of dock connector that we currently have. Backwards compatibility is nice and all but the connector is showing its age. Besides they could implement entirely new technology in the 'dock" connector, an example would be Light Peak.

One thing that I'm hoping they are open to is multiple standard USB ports which aren't all that much more of an issue than the dock port. The OS of course will need to support the connection of devices and the associated drivers. The goal would be to address easily the mobile devices that would go well with a tablet. I'm really hoping for at least two ports.

As old as the tech is I'm also hoping for a Ethernet port as it the high speed port of last resort. I'd be happy with a USB converter as long as there is more than one USB port.

The normal sound in and out ports. Hopefully higher quality ports.

I really doubt there will be to many ports beyond that. The reason being (which people still don't seem to grasp) is that this is a device for the mobile spectrum.

What would really impress me is if these where included: SD card slot(s), An expansion slot for the RF modem of your choice, and internal PCI-Express bay for a SSD "drive". The SD slot obviously for the support of consumer devices and more importantly a new distribution medium for movies and TV shows. The RF modem slot so that one can configure the device to the best available service provider in your area. The slot for the SSD is because the thing will not have enough memory for no matter what Apple solders on board. Of these the RF freedom is the least likely to happen in my opinion.

At least that is where my hopes lay.

Dave
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I have to admit, the specs on the processor is one of the exciting things for me. My bet is that it will have a few real surprises.

About an hour after they go on sale I'm sure someone will have taken one apart and we can all see.

Quote:
I am also hoping for a full OSX, but find that a lot less likely. If there is no way to do real word processing, I will be really disappointed. I would also like to have Adobe Lightroom on it.

Me too but you know, if it does iLife (and raw) it'll be enough. I just need something to store, organize and view photos and movies on a trip and I can do all my post processing when I get home.

I don't care how beefy that ARM will be, it's not going to equal my next MBP. I just don't want to lug that 17" monster on vacation travel if I can help it. Email, Safari, iLife, iTunes and a battery that lasts a plane ride would make me happy. iWork would be a big bonus but I could live without it.

Quote:
If all we have is a reader on steroids, it WILL be disappointing.

That, I think, is highly unlikely.
post #47 of 56
Actually I agree with you on multiple points here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Good luck, Print Industry dictating terms to Apple. Apple are offering you access to millions of credit cards and what are they offering? Content that most people prefer on paper. At a 70-30 split...if they can't see you have to speculate to accumulate then they can take their dinosaur ways and shrivel and die. I don't care about Newspapers dying. Overpriced pap most of them. Magazines. Regurgitating the same content over and over again. Marvel Comics? Screw the big comics companies. Eating their own vommit of pointless and hollow re-invention for how long?

While not all of the print industry is wonderful you paint with a very board brush here. There are a number of magazines I enjoy every month for example.
Quote:

In the internet era? Most of the really interesting stuff is coming from small independents. The big boys still don't get it. Like M$, they think their previous stranglehold will work on the digital frontier?

This is certainly true, the big boys are fat and can no longer dance on a dime. On the other hand there really isn't a strangle hold on publishing. You can be successful with a focused product picking at the specialties.
Quote:

Wrong. And they will be proven wrong. Because people can move in the blink of a hypertext link.

That is where new media comes in. The problem isn't with new media but with old media trying to shape the marketplace artificially to its liking. This is a huge problem and frankly many of these dinosaurs need to die off so that the marketplace can reshape itself naturally.
Quote:
Print industry? You'll suck it up and like it.

No I rather think many of them will die off.
Quote:
If you don't. I'll get my 'free news' from elsewhere on the internet. I've done quite well without the the times so far. *Shrugs.

I don't like the term Free News all that much! The problem is that unless you are donating not much in this world can be done for free.
Quote:

I'd rather read blogs and smaller press outlets. I don't want to pay to hear a 'Murdoch' 2D spin on what I'm supposed to think... *Shrugs.

As long as you are reading you will be here a slanted view on something. It is very hard to write anything without grafting your view into the prose.

As a side note, the recent natural disaster in Haiti highlights the power of the net and the endless stream of pictures, to impact people directly. Of course pictures can be sued to bend the truth too, but here the vast number allows people to reach their own conclusions.
Quote:

And they'd better offer damn good prices for me to replace the tactile feedback of a good paper book. Good luck with that. You're going to need it.

I honestly have a hard time seeing this device effectively replacing paper books. Magazines, journals and the like yes but not a good novel. On the other hand reference books and the like would be fantastic.
Quote:

I don't see me buying books on it. I'll happily stay luddite for some time in this respect.

I don't see myself buying either.
Quote:
I don't need some big company to be my conduit on the internet. I want direct access to the creator. Apple as a gate-keeper with iTunes? Hmm. I'll look into how they do with the print industry thing. But I recently bought a digital book (ironic in light of my comments...) for much cheaper than the print price. Got it downloaded and used Apple's Preview to view it as PDA doc. Ez. I'd look at it on my tablet if I get it. I suppose.

The electronic format can be very good for a number of different types of books. It depends on both the material, the user and the software presenting the book. Here is where I think Apple could prove to be a winner. That is in coming up with a standard book format that leverages the strengths of computers to better present the material included.
Quote:

It's a case of wait and see for me. Print industry and content creation of said is an area of interest to me. And if Apple allows independent creators of quality content to join the 'e-print' revolution of distribution on their iTunes store...I'll look into it. 30-70. It's better than the rate Diamond Comics Distributors gives to Independent Comic Publishers...

Lemon Bon Bon.

This is where I see a huge future. That is the advent of extremely low cost publishing. That will make it easy for a lot of new content to come on line and should cheapen some of the old limited distribution content.

Dave
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Lavori View Post

let's see, if we look at the latest rumors, as of 27 january the tablet will:

not have a deal with publishers in place;

They will never have all publishers in place anyways. If Apple gets even a small number to announce at the debut it will be good enough.
Quote:
not have a deal with networks for a tv subscription model;

Subscriptions are a joke and are a hold over from the days of cable and the associated strangle hold they have on technology and media distribution. In fact I see subscriptions as a repeat of the business model that I've truly have grown to hate with respect to the cable companies.
Quote:
have a quirky multitasking implementation;

Is every one on this forum completely blind. There is nothing quirky about multitasking. This isn't a Windows 95 or mac Plus world anymore, as such people need oto open up their minds to the possibility that something different will actually work better in the long run.
Quote:
have bing as the default search engine;

Oh come on grow up. One is no worst than the other. Further default does not mean that you can't simply set a parameter to default to a different service.
Quote:
be released for sale in june;

Which would you prefer an early release or a product that is reasonably debugged?
Quote:
cost $999 and still require a carrier.

Well yeah that causes me to barf too.
Quote:
that's a deal-breaker: i cannot justify buying a device that has bing as a default search engine.

That last line however paints you as a simple minded person. Because frankly all you have to do today is to go to Settings:Safari and change the search engine there. Freedom of choice is a very good thing. Hopefully this will mean that Apple will extend that freed system wide.

Dave
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I have to admit, the specs on the processor is one of the exciting things for me. My bet is that it will have a few real surprises.

Surprises; maybe not true surprises because we can guess at several ideas.

Apple goes with an ARM core but grafts on an Alt-Vec like vector engine/processor. I mean a true processor that sits on the bus as an equal to the ARM core. So in effect we have one or two ARM cores for general processing and a dedicated OpenCL engine. The vector engine would be optimized in such a way as to be able to easily handle video decoding and other processor intensive chores.

An alternative would be to have more than two ARM cores with attached vector capability. This could be either Apple or ARM extensions.

The GPU is always an interesting story. I'm expecting one of Imaginations multi core implementable units with lots of performance. Video should better the Tegra. I could see Apple implementing an on chip frame buffer/video memory block to keep graphics on chip as much as possible.
Quote:

I am also hoping for a full OSX, but find that a lot less likely. If there is no way to do real word processing, I will be really disappointed. I would also like to have Adobe Lightroom on it.

Nope that won't happen! I just don't see it as an elegant way to provide the capability the tablet will provide. You really have to look at this as a machine that is designed for an entirely different way of approaching the world of computing.
Quote:

If all we have is a reader on steroids, it WILL be disappointing.

That you won't have to worry about. Think about it, nothing has been leaked or said that it would be a single function device. Further more it would go against Apples desire to add more and more functionality to its hand held devices.

I suspect the devices will support a wide range of applications due to the power of the OS and the hardware.

Dave
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Hey, you know you can plug your iPhone or iPod into any TV? The dock connector has 2 versions - component video or composite. Quality is very good - but SD only.

Personally I'd like to see
* a HD output matching whatever they plan with the AppleTV,
* USB - for backing up without a computer, or syncing directly to an iPod, maybe printing, whatever
* SD Card slot for photos & HD video input
* dock connector
* headphone jack.

Is that too much?

I think it is going to depend on the form factor. Thin like the MacBook Air with the drop down connections? or like the iPod touch, iPhone?

Personally I think it will be more like the iPhone where it is more geared toward input than output, bye bye USB, mDp. SD slot would be interesting though, despite not really needed if you are going to be using iTunes (or similar) to sync content to it. Seems silly to import off of the SD card twice when I could just sync.
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

bye bye USB

That's a good chance, but I'm still hoping for one. Mainly because I'd like to be able to take the tablet instead of my MBP when traveling and be able to download the photos off my camera or a card reader. Apple tried in the past to make a dock connector for that. I have one. It's horribly slow, in part because you are connecting a USB-B port/client (camera) to a USB-B port/client (iPod), which it typically a no-no. USB like ambiguous connections like that without a USB-A master device in the mix.

HD video out could be done via the dock. A combination of the dock and one USB port would probably satisfy 90% of people's needs (oh, and the headphone out jack of course).
post #52 of 56
I'm going to make a prediction.

I say that the Apple tablet will be wildly successful. But that success will not necessarily translate into saving traditional print news media. If anything Apple will have even more power and control over the print media companies than they do with the music industry.

In the end, traditional print media and their old business models will die and will be replaced by the new way of doing things.

As for myself, I'm definitely buying the tablet. And I'll probably buy a couple magazine subscriptions for the device to check it out and for kicks. But I'll mostly be using this device to read tech blogs, apps, video and games. And yes, books too. But I won't be buying a subscription to the NY Times or the WSJ.

Perhaps Apple will get creative with subscription techniques and have a subscription that includes tv, video, magazines and newspapers. Which might be successful.

But in the end there will be no stopping of news blogs personal and professional. It's not even the future....it's the present! That is why entities like the NY Times are dying.
post #53 of 56
Quote:

SD slot would be interesting though, despite not really needed if you are going to be using iTunes (or similar) to sync content to it. Seems silly to import off of the SD card twice when I could just sync.

If the SD card is used to import photos into iPhoto on the tablet, I think it's safe to assume it'll sync those photos back to your iTunes. You won't have to import twice.

Not saying it'll happen - just that if they allow one the other will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

But in the end there will be no stopping of news blogs personal and professional. It's not even the future....it's the present! That is why entities like the NY Times are dying.

As long as there are news organisations paying people to write news, giving it away for free and having bloggers quote them and redistribute the news - news organisations will continue to crumble.

At some point in the process, there are reporters who are doing work to get stories, and ultimately if they don't get paid then reporting will stop. More likely paid reporting will continue to die until there isn't as much news, but what there is will then be charged for. Opinions will continue for free, but the source of the stories will be far weaker.

I hope Apple can breath life into the industry - such that their slate (and equivalent e-Reader for Mac) provides a conduit for the survival of reporting.
post #54 of 56
Quote:

That's a good chance, but I'm still hoping for one. Mainly because I'd like to be able to take the tablet instead of my MBP when traveling and be able to download the photos off my camera or a card reader. .

I think this is the point I have been trying to wrap my head around. I have read the other forums and see others saying that the i(insertTabletName) is going to replace the MB lineup.
I have the feeling people are not going to want to travel with their MB, iPhone, and the new device. So in that regard then yes, it would certainly need to include several I/O ports. I know that if it can be done, and done well, the folks out in Cupertino can do it.

Just curious of anyone elses opinions on the subject. I think I will need to see what it does and more importantly the $$ of the device before calling myself a buyer.

If the device is $800-$1000 with a plan from a carrier, count me out, last thing I need is another monthly bill.

You might catch me at the  store, finger-bangin the hell out of the display unit though!!
post #55 of 56
Quote:

I think this is the point I have been trying to wrap my head around. I have read the other forums and see others saying that the i(insertTabletName) is going to replace the MB lineup.
I have the feeling people are not going to want to travel with their MB, iPhone, and the new device. So in that regard then yes, it would certainly need to include several I/O ports. I know that if it can be done, and done well, the folks out in Cupertino can do it.

Just curious of anyone elses opinions on the subject. I think I will need to see what it does and more importantly the $$ of the device before calling myself a buyer.

If the new tablet is at the $600 price range, I could see if staying in the lineup alongside the white MacBook. I think there are still plenty of people who need a basic laptop functionality that would prefer the laptop format to a tablet tho. I don't expect to see the MacBook removed from the product matrix.
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Stranglehold? Apple provided the only way forward for the music industry. They should all be kissing Jobs' ring finger for helping those worthless executives keep their positions.

good post

APPLE killed a couple of pirates and saved the music industry
by allowing me to have 6000 songs at my finger tips
go spammie
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple tablet rumors: Time Inc. in the dark, PA Semi chip, 'secret' negotiations