or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › More evidence of 'iPad' name, AT&T bracing for 'unannounced devices'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More evidence of 'iPad' name, AT&T bracing for 'unannounced devices' - Page 2

post #41 of 71
iKotex?
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

In other words, you want something for free.

Where did this sense of "connectivity entitlement" begin? Is this strictly a U.S. thing? People think they should be able to get Wi-Fi for free, get media/information content online for free, and now access 3G service for free?

This isn't the early-2000's. The business model has changed. Why do you think Google all of a sudden feels the need to sell tangible things? We went through the rise of tech and learned that, in the end, your company must actuall sell something to make money.

If "you need to pay more... it will fail." Give me a freaking break.

Who said it should be free? Maybe people just don't want (need) 3G and are just interested in this device to use it on their own or public wifi networks.
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I don't care what they call this thing, if it's tied to a cell network that you need to pay more for (on top of the cell phone charges) it will fail. They can't possibly be that stupid though can they?

I think what will happen is that you will have a choice. Either you can get the device subsidized from either AT&T or Verizon. Or you can get the device at the unsubsidized full price of ($whatever) which you can use with wifi and perhaps the ability to choose later a carrier to go with.
post #44 of 71
name for the tablet...all Apple gadgets would then start with "IP" (iPhone, iPod, and iPad). IP obviously stands for intellectual property and Apple has a heck of a lot of IP with all these devices.

Also, as for the invitation to the event next week, it seems to me that the various colors on the invite suggest that there is "something for everyone" (ie. a color for everyone's taste). This could refer to the tablet having something for the entire family.
post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iTampon does have a ring to it.

I mentioned that in another thread - in the UK pad equates to tampon. The Senseo coffee maker people initially marketed coffee "pads", but changed the name to" pods" when they realized that associating tampons with delicious coffee was not going to work. I think Apple has the same problem.
post #46 of 71
iCanvas
iPalette or maybe iPal for short.
Now I like that. Sounds like my friend. iPal ... or wait may myPal.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #47 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I mentioned that in another thread - in the UK pad equates to tampon.

No it doesn't, why do people keep making this association? In the UK, fanny pad equates to sanitary towel - a tampon is an insert and doesn't even come close to that. Pad on it's own has no such association as it's too generic. If you had a Pukka Pad:

http://www.pukka-pads.co.uk/

you'd say casually, hand me your pad so I can write on it. A girl wouldn't get confused and reach into her pants. Few popular feminine hygiene products even use the word pad, it's always towel or towelette. Check it out:

http://www.bodyform.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DX5Z7...SIN=B001DX5Z7G

iPad is a good name and any crude association is forced.
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No it doesn't, why do people keep making this association? In the UK, fanny pad equates to sanitary towel - a tampon is an insert and doesn't even come close to that. Pad on it's own has no such association as it's too generic. If you had a Pukka Pad:

http://www.pukka-pads.co.uk/

you'd say casually, hand me your pad so I can write on it. A girl wouldn't get confused and reach into her pants. Few popular feminine hygiene products even use the word pad, it's always towel or towelette. Check it out:

http://www.bodyform.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DX5Z7...SIN=B001DX5Z7G

iPad is a good name and any crude association is forced.

Actually, in Canada a pad is the term quite often used for a sanitary napkin and on that basis alone I would not call the "new apple device " that.

If you recall, iMac was used because of it's ability to easily surf the net .... hence the small "i". With that in mind, how about a cMac ... a device that is compact, can be used for computing in the cloud. That's my suggestion. Come see the new cMac.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #49 of 71
iPoke? Erm, nah - sounds like a good way to blind yourself.

iSleek? - Too corporate sounding.

iFlint? WILMA!

iCan'tthinkofanythingbetterthanislate

I still think iProd is funny as hell - they should go with that.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
post #50 of 71
I have to admit hype is damn costly thing.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #51 of 71
and it evens soaks up spills?

Let's hope Apple has big shoulders. If they call it iPad, it WILL be the laughing stock of
the late night wars.

This could be just what Jay Leno needs to get back his late night crowd.

YES, this will give Apple a ton of press, but is funny press always a good thing?

I'm telling, say it to yourself over and over, it has a great ring to it:

ablet, ablet, ablet

Skip

"Apple announce the long awaited "ablet" today, and folks lined up to be one of the first to get the "ablet".
post #52 of 71
How come Apple doesn't do the "let the public name it" thing?

Funness
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Actually, in Canada a pad is the term quite often used for a sanitary napkin and on that basis alone I would not call the "new apple device " that.

Yeah maybe it was Canada I was thinking of instead of UK. I knew it was some foreign pseudo english speaking place.
post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I mentioned that in another thread - in the UK pad equates to tampon. The Senseo coffee maker people initially marketed coffee "pads", but changed the name to" pods" when they realized that associating tampons with delicious coffee was not going to work. I think Apple has the same problem.

Uh, they did that when they realized that "Pods" have been a standard in the coffee business since the 1940s.......
post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No it doesn't, why do people keep making this association? In the UK, fanny pad equates to sanitary towel - a tampon is an insert and doesn't even come close to that. Pad on it's own has no such association as it's too generic. If you had a Pukka Pad:

http://www.pukka-pads.co.uk/

you'd say casually, hand me your pad so I can write on it. A girl wouldn't get confused and reach into her pants. Few popular feminine hygiene products even use the word pad, it's always towel or towelette. Check it out:

http://www.bodyform.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DX5Z7...SIN=B001DX5Z7G

iPad is a good name and any crude association is forced.


I'm sorry Marvin but iPad is not at all a good name, and I don't know about the UK, but the US absolutely will associate this with a MaxiPad. Main reason? It's commonly called a PAD here. Short for, typicall Max iPad.....

Don't you know any women? Just ask them
post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andruby View Post

iPad sounds too much like iPod, and it isn't a particularly good name. They should just call it iTablet or Apple Tablet. Keep it simple like the most popular Apple device: the iPhone.

I agree. Although,  Tablet is my second choice.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That is insane for their latest creation.

Ok, so maybe not $1,499. But if it's the product I imagine it will be a revolutionary 10" touchscreen Mac computer. The plane Jane MacBook is $999. Although a smaller screen this will be a step up from that in every way. And if it has 3G there very may well be a carrier subsidized model. For cutting edge $999 sounds like a price Apple would put on it, for the subsidized one. At which point they have to charge a premium for the non-subsidized one.

If you want lower I'll give you $799 subsidized, $1,299 non-subsidized. I would expect it to be more coming from Apple though. They like to price there stuff so it seems out of reach. They like to milk the early adopters too.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #58 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sorry to bring up he-who-shall-not-be-named: In all fairness, Techstud was the first to call it iPad (and I railed against it).

Rest assured it will not be called that. It sounds awful, they are only protecting their iPod brand.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #59 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

How come Apple doesn't do the "let the public name it" thing?

After seeing all this talk about iPad it seems obvious to be the public doesn't not jack shit about names. It's nearly as bad as iSlate, though not quite.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #60 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Actually, in Canada a pad is the term quite often used for a sanitary napkin and on that basis alone I would not call the "new apple device " that.

Not exclusively though. The word 'pad' is commonly used for other things and not immediately associated with feminine products. It heavily depends on the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz

the US absolutely will associate this with a MaxiPad

Desperate comedians in the US perhaps but the 'i' in iPad is like the 'i' in thigh, whereas the 'i' in Maxi Pad is like the 'i' in taxi so they don't even sound the same. It's also two separate words Maxi Pad and they have Ultra Thin Pad. This again goes back to the generality of the word 'pad'.

Google the word 'pad' and tell me what page refers to feminine hygiene with safe search off. I got to page 20 and gave up. The closest I came was the Pish Pad:

http://www.pishpad.com/

which Apple's product may well be if it just runs the iphone OS. But the point is if this association was so common, don't you think Google of all places would have picked up on it with its relevancy algorithms?

Wikipedia lists a number of things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad

Bachelor Pad is an important one and is often referred to as pad on its own. Are you coming back to my pad? A device for the home - iPad is in my pad. What controls all the media in your pad? The iPad of course.

Yeah it's going to be called iPad and people will try to make fun of it with sketches of a girl with a 10" slate in her pants but the jokes will wear thin in about a week or two because it's not all that funny - it's too obvious - and there's no depth to the joke, it just vaguely sounds like it could be the name of a feminine product.
post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not exclusively though. The word 'pad' is commonly used for other things and not immediately associated with feminine products.

You're mostly wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #62 of 71
Brings a whole new meaning to Apple Evangelist
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #63 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not exclusively though. The word 'pad' is commonly used for other things and not immediately associated with feminine products. It heavily depends on the context.



Desperate comedians in the US perhaps but the 'i' in iPad is like the 'i' in thigh, whereas the 'i' in Maxi Pad is like the 'i' in taxi so they don't even sound the same. It's also two separate words Maxi Pad and they have Ultra Thin Pad. This again goes back to the generality of the word 'pad'.

Google the word 'pad' and tell me what page refers to feminine hygiene with safe search off. I got to page 20 and gave up. The closest I came was the Pish Pad:

http://www.pishpad.com/

which Apple's product may well be if it just runs the iphone OS. But the point is if this association was so common, don't you think Google of all places would have picked up on it with its relevancy algorithms?

Wikipedia lists a number of things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad

Bachelor Pad is an important one and is often referred to as pad on its own. Are you coming back to my pad? A device for the home - iPad is in my pad. What controls all the media in your pad? The iPad of course.

Yeah it's going to be called iPad and people will try to make fun of it with sketches of a girl with a 10" slate in her pants but the jokes will wear thin in about a week or two because it's not all that funny - it's too obvious - and there's no depth to the joke, it just vaguely sounds like it could be the name of a feminine product.

"Pad" is almost never used to refer to a place of residence anymore. This is not the 70's. No one asks if someone is coming back to their "pad" anymore. The only time I ever hear the word pad used in that sense is someone joking around, intentionally trying to sound skeezy.

As far as paper goes, people say "hand me that pad of paper" not "hand me that pad" precisely because "hand me that pad" will illicit confused looks as the first thing that will go through someone's mind is a maxi pad.

When someone say "I have to pick up some pads at the store" no one thinks that person is coming back with paper.

The word 'pad' in the US, by itself, dominantly evokes a maxi pad. "Pads" will evoke sports pads. When a singular sports pad is referred to, it is almost always preceded by the body part: knee pad, hip pad, shoulder pads. That's because "pad" on its own, is typical shorthand for "maxi pad."
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #64 of 71
iPad is a chance, but like others said is too close to female sanitary products.
iTablet seems too bulky - it doesnt really roll off the tongue ( although either does MacBook Pro)
iSlate sounds a bit weird
Apple Tablet - maybe, but bulky again.
MacTouch - possibly! ( but is it a mac or an iDevice? I'd say an iDevice )
iTouch - may be very close to the mark as it's really a bigger iPod Touch

Or maybe seeing as this device is like a new generation book reader...how about a blast from the past:
the iBook - a cross between a MacBook & an iPod Touch
If it wasnt for the fact that Apple once had a laptop called this i'd say it'd be perfect.

Hopefully this new device will have some sort of a combination of both Mac OSX & the iPhone OS... & hopefully a usb port for more connectivity options like printing etc.
Whatever it is, I thinks its a given that it's gonna be something people see and think, oh yeah I need one of those...
post #65 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevbucky View Post

iPad is a chance, but like others said is too close to female sanitary products.
iTablet seems too bulky - it doesnt really roll off the tongue ( although either does MacBook Pro)
iSlate sounds a bit weird
Apple Tablet - maybe, but bulky again.
MacTouch - possibly! ( but is it a mac or an iDevice? I'd say an iDevice )
iTouch - may be very close to the mark as it's really a bigger iPod Touch

Or maybe seeing as this device is like a new generation book reader...how about a blast from the past:
the iBook - a cross between a MacBook & an iPod Touch
If it wasnt for the fact that Apple once had a laptop called this i'd say it'd be perfect.

Hopefully this new device will have some sort of a combination of both Mac OSX & the iPhone OS... & hopefully a usb port for more connectivity options like printing etc.
Whatever it is, I thinks its a given that it's gonna be something people see and think, oh yeah I need one of those...

You forgot one:

iTab - this is really the best as it matches the two syllables of other Mac products (iPhone, iPod, iMac, Newton etc), is descriptive enough for you to know what it is, cool sounding, and avoids any potential unflattering comparisons that iPad has.

This is my favourite.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
post #66 of 71
iSplunge

"It means ... it's a great-idea-but-possibly-not-and-I'm-not-being-indecisive!"

Season 1 Episode six of Monty Python's Flying Circus
post #67 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

"Pad" is almost never used to refer to a place of residence anymore. This is not the 70's.

http://www.luxurypads.net/
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/20...nt_7645341.htm
http://www.poshpads.com/
http://hotpads.com/
http://www.getapad.co.uk/
http://www.citypadsservicedapartments.co.uk/
http://www.vintagepads.com/vintagepads/index.aspx
http://www.bostonpads.com/
http://www.servicedcitypads.com/
http://www.southendpads.com/
http://www.charlestownpads.com/
http://www.beaconhillpads.com/
http://plumpads.net
http://www.somervillepads.com/
http://www.cambridgepads.com/
http://www.brooklinepads.com/
http://www.padsofmanchester.com/
http://www.nottinghampads.co.uk/
http://www.fenwaypads.com/
http://centralaustinpads.com/
http://www.backbaypads.com/
http://www.offcampuspads.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/walthampads

I'm not suggesting it's used commonly in conversation but neither are female pads - this thread is probably the most press the subject has had in a while. Women are usually discrete about this sort of thing and 'towels' is a much better euphemism.

Apple will simply redefine what pad means. They redefine everything. You won't know what's what anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

As far as paper goes, people say "hand me that pad of paper" not "hand me that pad" precisely because "hand me that pad" will illicit confused looks as the first thing that will go through someone's mind is a maxi pad.

If someone is pointing in the general direction of a notepad, I think by the context you're going to know what they mean. General terms are narrowed down by context. Without a context present, it comes down to personal association. Every country in the world other than the US and Canada will be fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

When someone say "I have to pick up some pads at the store" no one thinks that person is coming back with paper.

No one would say that though because it's like saying "I have to pick up some wax at the store" - is it beeswax, candle wax, leg wax, hair wax - same with gel, is it sex gel, hair gel, muscle gel, teeth whitening gel, shower gel, foot odour gel. Anyway, it still doesn't apply to iPad. In the same way that people don't get confused by the name "pukka pad" and think it's another brand like Maxi pad. You will say to someone pass me your iPad or that iPad or do you have the new Apple iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobious

iTab

But then people have to ask what it is when they hear the name. Tab is associated with soft drinks, browser tabs, a keyboard key - none of which bring up the form factor of a flat screen electronic device used for notes, books and drawing. I know it's short for tablet but nobody abbreviates tablet to tab.

ipod was different because the association is like pea pod or poppy pod, something small and you think of things like this:

http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/afns/images/Bod_Pod.JPG

It's also a friendly word with soft sounds like pad, puppy, papaya. Slate and tablet are harsh sounding so not good for marketing.
post #68 of 71
Also, when people say "hand me some paper" they typically mean loose sheets. If you want something like a yellow legal pad, you say "hand me that pad of paper."

Nevertheless, it's just true that Apple can call it whatever they want and before very long no one will remember that it sounded odd. It'll just be the name of the thing, as common as Q-tip.

Imagine discussing that as a rumored name for a swab on a stick thing for cleaning your ears. "Q-tip"? What the hell is that supposed to be? People will think it's for billiards!"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #69 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No one would say that though because it's like saying "I have to pick up some wax at the store"

No, I'm sorry, you're wrong. I've heard it said many times. In fact, I have been given the request "pick up some pads at the store."

Trust me, I didn't come back with paper.

Quote:
Apple will simply redefine what pad means. They redefine everything. You won't know what's what anymore.

They may very well be able to (if that is in fact the name). I am simply noting that the word 'pad' in the US, by itself, currently dominantly evokes a maxi pad.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #70 of 71
This is what the iPad, iTouch etc will most probably look like with my guess 2 home buttons on either side catering for left & right handers.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...0122-mqpd.html

It sure would be nice if it also supported file sharing, printing & had a big storage ( 64gB or bigger) capacity to enable it to be plugged into a HDTV & watch the movies/tv shows rented/bought off the iTunes store. Or maybe even connect to the Tv wirelessly with an adaptor so you can sit on the couch & control it. A mobile Apple TV?
post #71 of 71
Even though the newton was a failure in the long run it was the first of this class of device.

making this the successor to the First I believe will give it a pedigree that no other company has.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › More evidence of 'iPad' name, AT&T bracing for 'unannounced devices'