or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks

Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks

post #1 of 69
Just when it looked like Apple was putting its 27-inch iMac troubles behind it with a balance in supply and demand, the company has abruptly pushed new direct orders of its big screen desktop machines out by three weeks.

While the 21.5-inch models of the new iMac currently ship within 24 hours, as of Thursday new 27-inch iMacs have a three-week estimated shipping time. Only days ago, the Mac maker had improved it supply of the larger models to shipping times of less than a week.

Apple's sudden delay of the new models comes just one week after its authorized resellers began receiving volume shipments of the big-screen models, allowing them to reflect availability for the first time since their introduction last Fall.

Following numerous users-reported screen flickering issues with the 27-inch model, Apple in December notified resellers that new orders would be pushed out by about two weeks. At the same time, the Mac maker apologized for the situation, but did not directly address concerns that hardware issues were to blame for the matter.

Released last October, the newly redesigned iMacs include an edge-to-edge glass design in a seamless all-aluminum enclosure. The new iMacs were an immediate hit with consumers, who made them the best-selling desktop machines in the U.S that same quarter.

However, soon after the launch, reports of issues with the 27-inch iMac began to crop up. Apple moved quickly to address the issue, releasing a software patch meant to remedy the problems plaguing owners.

But for many users, the update wasn't successful in fixing the problem, as posts on the Apple discussion forums have continued to grow (1, 2). The same issues have not been reported with the 21.5-inch models.

Despite Apple's direct-order delays, all of the reseller's tracked by AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide (below) are currently showing availability of most 27-inch iMacs, with a few exceptions:

post #2 of 69
I ordered a base model 21.5" iMac last week and got the extended keyboard instead of the small wireless one, and it was expected to ship in 1-3 days, but I received an email this morning saying it had delayed shipping as well. It may be a larger issue than just the 27"...
post #3 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrue View Post

I ordered a base model 21.5" iMac last week and got the extended keyboard instead of the small wireless one, and it was expected to ship in 1-3 days, but I received an email this morning saying it had delayed shipping as well. It may be a larger issue than just the 27"...

I wonder if this is related to the factory strike issues in China?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/20/wintek_apple/
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #4 of 69
Hmm, how can we force a connection between this and the tablet?
post #5 of 69
perhaps there is an upgrade that Apple has made to some feature and will be included with new imacs, but since they are going to announce it at the upcoming event and include it in all imacs sold after a certain day, they are delaying any receipt until after the event.

or maybe they are just having supply side issues
post #6 of 69
ugh, i ordered an i7 on the 15th. It still shows shipping on the 1st... I hope that doesn't change. I feel like a 9 year old kid waiting for the decoder ring to show up in the mail!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #7 of 69
I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers — mostly design professionals like myself — who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers mostly design professionals like myself who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.

Ugh. Give it a rest. If you want to whine about it, start a thread about it so at least the rest of the folks who are interested can go be on-topic in that thread instead of polluting this one.
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The last time Apple had and issue like this with the iMac is was when the first gen ALU iMacs were released. I haven't seen this flickering issue but with my iMac the screen would flicker and then freeze and it turned out to be a firmware issue with the ATI 2600xt cards. Took Apple about four months to get the firmware issue resolved. Not sure if the GPU is the issue in this case.

The other issue is just poor design with the edge to edge glass with such a large screen. Makes it way too easy to chip or crack durning shipping.

So far mine has behaved perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased. I feel for those that got a bad one though. I know how excited I was to get mine delivered. I can imagine how disappointing it would be to have to send it back.
post #10 of 69
I had ordered a custom 27" i7 w/ 8Gb RAM. It was supposed to ship Jan 19th and be delivered Jan 22nd, which is tomorrow. On Jan 20th I received an email update stating it'll ship within the next 7 business days and be delivered between Feb 1st and Feb 3rd.
post #11 of 69
I've been lucky with all my Macs so far. Then again, I've ever only had three, including a PowerMac 6100/60 from July 1994 to June 2002. That thing was a rock. I miss it.
post #12 of 69
Quote:

I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers mostly design professionals like myself who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.

Screen flickering sounds like a great excuse to bring back the annoying glare and reflection prone screens.

If Apple would announce, display and offer a application of a matte screen film for all their glossy screen models, perhaps it would be a great solution. A better type of glass with less than 1% surface reflection level would be another great idea.

By the way, not to toot my horn, but it was I that got personally in touch with Steve Jobs and he brought back the 15" matte screen MacBook Pro models a few weeks later.

If you wish to sign a petition to bring back more matte options please visit MacMatte.com, also posting a video on YouTube is highly effective as well..

Keep on screaming and don't buy (edit: a glare prone screen), like many are doing. Apple will come around.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #13 of 69
Quote:

I think your post is very respectful, probably the first I have seen on this issue. Nice job.
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

The Tablet will be 27 inch touch screen and be called the "imac". You can carry it in your hicking bag. It will do games, all the OSX apps, book reading, social media and much more! You can even attach it to a stand and get a wireless keyboard and mouse to make it into a pretty nice desktop. This tablet is going to cost around $1200 dollars.

I think the delays may have somthing to do with the availability of parts. I believe these things are to use the i7s, maybe apple could not secure enough to meet the demand.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #15 of 69
[CENTER]Personally...

I just wish that Apple would show a bit more transparency regarding these matters.

At this point, the entire situation looks a bit 'shady'[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Keep on screaming and don't buy, like many are doing. Apple will come around.

Ha ha, we will see on the 25th how many people didn't buy a Mac.
As for the whining; it will get you nowhere, except for a pitiful live.
post #17 of 69
I am not trying to force a connection between this and the "tablet," but I thought I remembered that these large-screen iMacs were having glass failures in shipping and I "know" that Apple has been investigating glass-strengthening options for the tablet. Maybe that process or technology will find its way to other Apple devices that use lots of glass.
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

perhaps there is an upgrade that Apple has made to some feature and will be included with new imacs, but since they are going to announce it at the upcoming event and include it in all imacs sold after a certain day, they are delaying any receipt until after the event.

i suspect perhaps one or more of several things

1. high demand for the 27 inch models in general

2. folks that were totally convinced by the blog talk that the display and delivery issues were 100% across the board on every model were waiting and some of them might have figured that the problem is solved now so they decided to jump in (at least solved enough they could be lucky)

3. folks got end of the year bonus checks, taxes done very quickly etc and have the cash to order and are now in the mix

4. and perhaps the biggest of all. the company in China that went on strike over exposure to potentially toxic chemicals while working on computer and phone display glass is an Apple supplier and they can't get the glass they need until that situation is resolved.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 69
What about the yellow screen discoloration issue? No mention of that in the article. There's some blogger over at Gizmodo who's gone through at least two 27" iMacs. The answer from Apple is to keep returning them until you get a good one.

- Jasen.
post #20 of 69
After I ordered a quad-core 27-incher I was told it would take 3 weeks, but those child workers in Shanghai obviously worked over Christmas and it arrived within 2 weeks. No stripes no stutter. Together with the new mouse, the performance is fantastic. For example, open a set of web bookmarks in Tabs and flick the mouse surface backwards or forwards to go to next or previous page. Flick past the top level and it takes you back to the previous set of tabs! I had to try this several times backwards and forwards instantaneously between sets of dozens of websites before I really believed it was doing this.

Don't listen to any of those holdouts saying that a matte screen is better. I ran the iMac27 next to a 23HD display, which looked so dull I couldn't take side-by-side photos (well I could and did- if exposed for the ACHD the iMac27 flares out, if exposed for the iMac27 the ACHD looks like it's switched off). Plus the 27-inch screen makes the 23-inch Cinema Display look TINY! With a tuner, the iMac27 is now my HDTV. Only comment is that the sound is very good as a PC, but it is reflected off the desktop, if you sit further away it sounds too quiet - plug the audio into your HiFi.

Connection with a possible Apple Tablet? The triple combination of Speed, Screen and Touch makes the iMac27 with Magic Mouse a very different and more enjoyable computing experience than any Mac, Windows or Linux PC I have ever used. Just imagine what they can do with a format that is 10-years younger than the OS X desktop PC.
post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Ha ha, we will see on the 25th how many people didn't buy a Mac.
As for the whining; it will get you nowhere, except for a pitiful life (sic).

Remember, Apple is very low on the list of market share compared to other computer companies like Dell, HP and even Leveno (who do offer matte screens).

It's stupid of Apple to fracture their tiny niche even further by alienating nearly half of present computer customers with annoying glare and reflections.

Steve understands that, and that's why there are some matte options, hopefully he is researching the issue and will come up with a reflection and glare free glass that we all can enjoy.
post #22 of 69
Quote:

Remember, Apple is very low on the list of market share compared to other computer companies like Dell, HP and even Leveno (who do offer matte screens).

It's stupid of Apple to fracture their tiny niche even further by alienating nearly half of present computer customers with annoying glare and reflections.

Steve understands that, and that's why there are some matte options, hopefully he is researching the issue and will come up with a reflection and glare free glass that we all can enjoy.

Those of us who don't care about Matte vs. Glossy are sick of listening to this in every single topic posted on here. You're doing a good enough job of alienating the rest of us on your own.
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I think your post is very respectful, probably the first I have seen on this issue. Nice job.

I concur. Most of the people wanting matte on here just spew nonsense that Apple is doomed. Its too bad more posts cant be as level headed as Rebelmusiks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #24 of 69
Quote:

y bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.

It is unlikely that Apple would do anything matte or otherwise due any problem of any kind. just not the way the game works. Apple will do matte when they fell the demand is there AND they can do it while staying within their design and environmental plans.

Quote:

Not sure if the GPU is the issue in this case.

well they did issue an update and many folks are reporting that their problems are solved. Also supposedly some authorized repair guy cracked open a 'defective' machine to test the LEDs against a working one and found no defect. so he believes the GPU is the issue.
Quote:
The other issue is just poor design with the edge to edge glass with such a large screen. Makes it way too easy to chip or crack durning shipping.

yeah which is why all those units bought at stores were damaged (oh wait)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally...

I just wish that Apple would show a bit more transparency regarding these matters.

At this point, the entire situation looks a bit 'shady'

some things to note

1. Apple doesn't have to tell the public anything about why delivery times have changed. No law requires it.
2. 99% of the time, reports of defects are highly exaggerated due to the simple fact that folks with a problem will always talk, talk loud and talk everywhere they can. But folks without a problem are too busy having fun to bother chiming in. So what might seem like a huge issue rarely is. Especially when there's not an immediate response. in fact the only reason this display issue got hot so fast is because a couple of the machines went to bloggers who will always scream when they have a problem and rally others to do so.
3. Apple doesn't speculate. They state. When they know what the problem is, they give an answer. Sometimes it takes a couple of rounds (we are currently in round two). But they are working on the problem. There is likely no law that requires them to state to the public every step, test and result. The law is just that they fix the situation. How they do that isn't in the law, just that they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

What about the yellow screen discoloration issue? No mention of that in the article. There's some blogger over at Gizmodo who's gone through at least two 27" iMacs. The answer from Apple is to keep returning them until you get a good one.

- Jasen.

actually no. the reason said blogger is on his warpath is because Apple refused to issue him a return on the second one (for an exchange) until he takes the machine into a store to be tested.
He got pissed and has been running almost daily blasts against the company
Forgetting that the in store testing is part of what provides Apple with needed data about what could be the problem so they can have the means to test outgoing machines and better prevent him from getting yet another bad one. If Apple waits until all these machines come back to the main factories, that adds time to the process.
Also said gentleman has not acknowledged that a firmware update was issued and he tried that step. Something they would do at the store. He is demanding that Apple send him a perfect model (forgetting also that any company can have issues and have updates that come up after wide release). Period.
And to top it off, some of his early comments make it sound like he didn't buy this computer but it was sent to them for free to review. a detail he still hasn't clarified (same for the screaming guy that was over at TUAW, although apparently his second machine was fine)

post #25 of 69
Quote:

Actually I never sent mine back because I knew it had to be something like a firmware issue with the GPU and it would get resolved. It was a bit of a pain for a while but I seemed to be having far less problems them most so I just waited it out. In the end they released a fireware update and I never had an issue after that.

I don't know if this is the same kind of issue but I do feel of the people having problems because it sucks to get something like this and start to have problems. Kind of takes all the fun away.

I'm sending my 27" back tomorrow. I've called Apple but they haven't been able to resolve the screen flickering which freezes my computer and forces a hard restart. I wish they'd resolve this problem already
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

After I ordered a quad-core 27-incher I was told it would take 3 weeks, but those child workers in Shanghai obviously worked over Christmas and it arrived within 2 weeks. No stripes no stutter. Together with the new mouse, the performance is fantastic. For example, open a set of web bookmarks in Tabs and flick the mouse surface backwards or forwards to go to next or previous page. Flick past the top level and it takes you back to the previous set of tabs! I had to try this several times backwards and forwards instantaneously between sets of dozens of websites before I really believed it was doing this.

Don't listen to any of those holdouts saying that a matte screen is better. I ran the iMac27 next to a 23HD display, which looked so dull I couldn't take side-by-side photos (well I could and did- if exposed for the ACHD the iMac27 flares out, if exposed for the iMac27 the ACHD looks like it's switched off). Plus the 27-inch screen makes the 23-inch Cinema Display look TINY! With a tuner, the iMac27 is now my HDTV. Only comment is that the sound is very good as a PC, but it is reflected off the desktop, if you sit further away it sounds too quiet - plug the audio into your HiFi.

Connection with a possible Apple Tablet? The triple combination of Speed, Screen and Touch makes the iMac27 with Magic Mouse a very different and more enjoyable computing experience than any Mac, Windows or Linux PC I have ever used. Just imagine what they can do with a format that is 10-years younger than the OS X desktop PC.

I second that!
post #27 of 69
Quote:

As a design professional, what is the problem (as you see it) with the iMac design and structure?
(just curious)
post #28 of 69
[QUOTE=charlituna;1553763
some things to note

1. Apple doesn't have to tell the public anything about why delivery times have changed. No law requires it.
2. 99% of the time, reports of defects are highly exaggerated due to the simple fact that folks with a problem will always talk, talk loud and talk everywhere they can. But folks without a problem are too busy having fun to bother chiming in. So what might seem like a huge issue rarely is. Especially when there's not an immediate response. in fact the only reason this display issue got hot so fast is because a couple of the machines went to bloggers who will always scream when they have a problem and rally others to do so.
3. Apple doesn't speculate. They state. When they know what the problem is, they give an answer. Sometimes it takes a couple of rounds (we are currently in round two). But they are working on the problem. There is likely no law that requires them to state to the public every step, test and result. The law is just that they fix the situation. How they do that isn't in the law, just that they do

[/QUOTE]

I was one of the first to get the iMac 27"; it arrived within 24 hours! And no hardware issues to speak of (sleep, took a while sometimes and my right mouse button (the virtual one) disappeared sometimes; but all is fixed with the latest updates), its performance and ease of use is the best I experienced ever!

J.
post #29 of 69
Quote:

I understand completely, your paid to spew FUD (or otherwise willfully misinformed, with the same effect).
To respond to your remarks (only to DE-FUD), your wrong, Apple has the biggest share of all 1000$ + computers, and thats what brings in the dollars.
post #30 of 69
Quote:

By the way, not to toot my horn, but it was I that got personally in touch with Steve Jobs and he brought back the 15" matte screen MacBook Pro models a few weeks later.

Prove it.
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

I bet that you're right.
post #32 of 69
Quote:

Obviously the millions including me buying glossy screens don't really care for matte like you think they do. They'd prefer the glossy screen compared to the matte, because it offers so much better color. Plus, the reflection is really not that bad, unless you have OCD when you turn off the screen or something. Sometimes I do agree... MacTripper is an alias for Teckstud. BTW, like another poster said, they own 93% of the $1000+ computers, so you can't say that professionals don't care for glossy, because obviously they pick glossy... and then buy them
post #33 of 69
Quote:

I love when members on this forum talk about Steve Jobs as if they actually know him. It ranks up there with people that own 2 shares of Apple stock calling themselves sharholders. It just cracks me up.

1) So people that hold shares in a company are not shareholders?

2) How many shares does one need to have before you would consider them shareholders?

3) Your arrogance in thinking that people who arent as heavily invested as others means they shouldnt be as concerned about their investment is pathetic. I think that is a low, even for you.
post #34 of 69
boring old story is boring and old
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Well, this is not the case this time. Many resellers are telling their customers that Apple itself told them about delays because of quality problems. I'm sure that Apple stats are telling the same. The iMac thread at their support discussion forums is one of the longest in that forum history!

It is not only a problem of flickering: the major problem is that of the yellowish discoloration in the bottom half of the screen, a problem so common that there's people who got 4 replacement in a row, all with the same problem (Apple instructions are to ask for a replacement until you get a good one). There are also the noise problems coming when the lcd brightness is dimmed or put to top, the HD noise and the iSight dead pixels (an average of more than 20).

Anyway, Apple is replacing units, and also sending out refunds, so their support to people with problems is excellent! Anyway it is not that good that all that problems went into production, far more than any other rev a product. Especially because this is the best iMac ever from all pow, and this issues may give a bad image to some new customers.
will be what it's going to be
will be what it's going to be
post #36 of 69
Current: PM G5 (Late 2005), iMac (late 2006)
Previous: LC 520, PM 7100, PM G3 Minitower, PM G4 Sawtooth

Ready to buy, Nehalem minimum.

Love the iMac i7, not buying one due to lack of matte screen.

Also not buying Mac Pro due to Xeon price/performance vs. desktop Nehalem. Whichever issue they fix first, I'll buy.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Prove it.

I can't do that, I promised not divulge a certain way and private information of Steve Jobs, let the man have his privacy, he's still in recovery for crying out loud.

It's enough that people steal his license plates.

However if you want you can contact MacMatte.com and ask him to confirm, he's the only one I shared the info with.

It's no big deal to get in touch with Steve, what's good is that he did bring back the matte option to at least the 15" MBP's, which a lot of people are grateful for.

Although I wish he would do something about that mismatched band around the monitor...make it black perhaps?
post #38 of 69
Quote:

I can't do that, I promised not divulge a certain way and private information of Steve Jobs, let the man have his privacy, he's still in recovery for crying out loud.

It's enough that people steal his license plates.

However if you want you can contact MacMatte and ask him to confirm, he's the only one I shared the info with.

It's no big deal to get in touch with Steve, what's good is that he did bring back the matte option to at least the 15" MBP's, which a lot of people are grateful for.

I have to ask. If you have the attention of Steve, why in the world would you waste everyone elses time with these off topic rants about matte screens here? it's not like anyone here can do anything about it, and I would guess that most people simply don't care to hear about it, time after time after time, especially on a topic that has nothing to do with it.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

...Don't listen to any of those holdouts saying that a matte screen is better. I ran the iMac27 next to a 23HD display, which looked so dull I couldn't take side-by-side photos (well I could and did- if exposed for the ACHD the iMac27 flares out, if exposed for the iMac27 the ACHD looks like it's switched off). Plus the 27-inch screen makes the 23-inch Cinema Display look TINY! With a tuner, the iMac27 is now my HDTV. Only comment is that the sound is very good as a PC, but it is reflected off the desktop, if you sit further away it sounds too quiet - plug the audio into your HiFi.

The glossy screens don't have the matte film that slightly fuzzes the image and therefore are clearer and sharper.

In a good location inside, the reflections and glare of glossy screens can be nearly eliminated.

Usually setting up a large screen Mac as a TV one will go about altering the environment to get the best theater-like viewing experience, like you have. This is not the case for everyone and every environment, with portables, impossible.

Brightly lit schools, offices and other places cause a problem with glossy screens and thus need another solution.

Reflection reduced glass might be a option, all the clarity, no glare or reflections. But it costs more money and Apple isn't paying for the quality glass, but we are paying the quality price.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I have to ask. If you have the attention of Steve, why in the world would you waste everyone elses time with these off topic rants about matte screens here? it's not like anyone here can do anything about it, and I would guess that most people simply don't care to hear about it, time after time after time, especially on a topic that has nothing to do with it.

He's talking through his binghole.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks