or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks

Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's talking through his binghole.

Ok, I LOL'd at that one. How often do we type LOL but never actually do it?
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I have to ask. If you have the attention of Steve, why in the world would you waste everyone elses time with these off topic rants about matte screens here? it's not like anyone here can do anything about it, and I would guess that most people simply don't care to hear about it, time after time after time, especially on a topic that has nothing to do with it.

First off, the problem is glare and reflections on the glass screens, which can be solved if Apple chooses and enough people complain, which they do, I'm not alone.

It is on topic because the 27" iMac has the largest glare prone screen of any Apple product.

I doubt you can go to any computer post site and avoid the issue, it's that widespread.

So learn to deal with others problems with not being able to see the screen due to reflections, grow a heart and show some empathy.

And if you notice, it's you that jumped all over rebelmusik with your anti-rant, so what bug has crawled up your ass that your taking it out on the poor people who can't see their computer screens anymore huh?

On the ignore list you go. Bye.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

First off, the problem is glare and reflections on the glass screens, which can be solved if Apple chooses and enough people complain, which they do, I'm not alone.

It is on topic because the 27" iMac has the largest glare prone screen of any Apple product.

I doubt you can go to any computer post site and avoid the issue, it's that widespread.

So learn to deal with others problems with not being able to see the screen due to reflections, grow a heart and show some empathy.

Matte screens have nothing to do with the original topic of shipment delays. Yet another thread wasted with page after page of endless whining about lack of matte options. Why can you folks simply put a thread out there, ask the mods to sticky it, and cry on each others shoulders to your hearts content. Hell, if you have the ear of Jobs, go cry to him, and spare everyone else, because no one here can help you.

You can't seriously expect sympathy from the very group you're pissing off by flooding every thread with this off topic crap?
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's talking through his binghole.

Your high post count is misleading there solipsism, guess it doesn't equate to character quality.

I thought I was on your ignore list?

Guess you just can't stay away from a flame war huh?
post #45 of 69
i bought an i7 on the 15th online at the apple store. kept looking at the Deliver By of Feb 4 and got sick of it.

Cancelled it, bought the i5 off of Amazon, saved $167 sales tax.... but I hope I don't get buyer's remorse for the i5 later... but I DO get it tomorrow (prime + 3.99 next day).... I probably should have waited... so conflicted.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It figures out of all the posts I had in this thread you would pick this one to reply too. Fairly typical for you.

By definition a shareholder is someone that owns shares in a company even if that is one share. However Apple fanbois put added
emotion into it. Kind of like what you are doing now.

Having worked for IBM now for 23 years I have owned Apple stock for a very long time. In fact I owned it before the iPod was released so a good deal of my stock was bought at about 9.33. Yet I have never called myself a shareholder. I simply say I own Apple stock.

You simply need to chill out or put me on ignore if your that sensitive.

Wow...get over yourself.
The iSlate cometh
The iSlate cometh
post #47 of 69
Apple, please gives us a Blu-ray drive option and an OS upgrade to play the movies. TIA!
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The last time Apple had and issue like this with the iMac is was when the first gen ALU iMacs were released. I haven't seen this flickering issue but with my iMac the screen would flicker and then freeze and it turned out to be a firmware issue with the ATI 2600xt cards. Took Apple about four months to get the firmware issue resolved. Not sure if the GPU is the issue in this case.

The other issue is just poor design with the edge to edge glass with such a large screen. Makes it way too easy to chip or crack durning shipping.

my macbook pro sometimes flicker (usually when I'm using flash player)...
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

Apple, please gives us a Blu-ray drive option and an OS upgrade to play the movies. TIA!

BlueRay would be nice, but I'm afraid it's not coming because it's been cracked.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1457...?lsrc=rss_main

Also BlueRay DVD's are touchy, because of their fine lines, they tend to seem to develop unseen cracks. I had two die on me already.

I suspect SDXC cards (up to 2TB) will be a better choice, one can keep a entire movie collection in their shirt pocket and less mechanical wear and tear.
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

As a design professional, what is the problem (as you see it) with the iMac design and structure?
(just curious)

Actually, I just want to make it clear, I really love the glossy screens for certain reasons, and for other reasons I don't. They just aren't designed with the design professional in mind. Which is okay, but design professionals typically use the mac OS (and as such are loyal to Apple products) so it would be nice to have a large screen that suits our optimal working conditions.

For the most part I don't want to participate in the glossy vs. matte debate; too much vindictiveness on both sides. But if you do a quick search on "glossy vs. mac" and "design professionals" you will probably find a good collection of articles and comments by people who share the same opinion as myself regarding the optimal working conditions for a designer.

I hope you understand my reluctance to participate in the conversation. If you're still curious, I suppose I can get into more details.

Thanks
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I've been lucky with all my Macs so far. Then again, I've ever only had three, including a PowerMac 6100/60 from July 1994 to June 2002. That thing was a rock. I miss it.

The 6100/60 ran about as fast as a rock too.

It's hard to believe anyone could have been happy with the performance and to have kept it for 8 years suggests you have the patience of Job.

I sold Macs back then and I actually felt sorry for my customers. Performance and quality were two things Apple didn't have much of in those days.
post #52 of 69
21.5" imac here bought in october..
I have the yellow tinge issue bottom right screen..

im waiting to return it till they fix this problem..
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers mostly design professionals like myself who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.

If you were an actual design professional, you'd have your working environment set up so that it wouldn't matter if the screen was matte or glossy.
post #54 of 69
Yet another thread that's gone to hell on the account of the incessant whiners who can't have a matte screen. Enough, already. Let's focus Apple's efforts on fixing the product that actually exists.
"The descent to hell is easy. The gates stand open day and night. But to reclimb the slope and escape to the upper air: This is labor."--Virgil, Aeneid, Book 6

Rob
"The descent to hell is easy. The gates stand open day and night. But to reclimb the slope and escape to the upper air: This is labor."--Virgil, Aeneid, Book 6

Rob
post #55 of 69
I decided to by a new i7 iMac the day it was released but I resolved to wait to buy it until the Q2-3 refresh. Apple should iron out the wrinkles by then and I might just get a free CPU and disk bump to boot.
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I decided to by a new i7 iMac the day it was released but I resolved to wait to buy it until the Q2-3 refresh. Apple should iron out the wrinkles by then and I might just get a free CPU and disk bump to boot.

Same here!

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Maybe you'll be able to play a blu-ray on it by then and get a matte screen.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyRob View Post

Yet another thread that's gone to hell on the account of the incessant whiners who can't have a matte screen. Enough, already. Let's focus Apple's efforts on fixing the product that actually exists.

OK- Did they fix being able to connect a blu-ray player to it yet? Or was that omitted intentionally?
post #59 of 69
When a retailer cannot keep up with demand, it's a sure indication that the computer is a HUGE hit.

As a proud owner of Apple's first quad-core desktop computer, I can assure you that this is a great computer with quad-core power and space for all your music on its optional 2 TB hard disk.

Congratulations, Apple.

What could have been improved: A more recent graphic card (not 18 month old as the computer was launched), preferably with support for TV display on the iMac monitor (as is common on high end Windows computers) and support for USB 3.0.

post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

And if you notice, it's you that jumped all over rebelmusik with your anti-rant, so what bug has crawled up your ass that your taking it out on the poor people who can't see their computer screens anymore huh?

On the ignore list you go. Bye.

I have a 27" i5 and have no issues with reflection whatsoever. My colleagues are using 24" imacs with the glass display and they have no issues either. If you work with large displays you should have the appropriate office conditions where the lighting is diffused. Many of our customers work with both video and print and video game design. They too have offices designed to remove any glare and the lighting is diffused. These conditions reduce eyestrain for those working at VDU's all day long.
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Ugh. Give it a rest. If you want to whine about it, start a thread about it so at least the rest of the folks who are interested can go be on-topic in that thread instead of polluting this one.

May I suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror? The OP was not whining, but offered a very respectful opinion and hope that Apple may yet see the error or its ways.

You, on the other hand...

Spontaneous responses always have the ability to take a thread "off course." Many of us scan, review, then post to areas that concern, amuse, or annoy us. Many of us do not take such a anal approach to our responses. All threads are intertwined in one way or another, but bringing up the topic of matte, especially when Apple may if fact be making modest design changes in its iMac line up or design paradigms, should not be considered "off topic" IMHO. VMMV.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled responses and opinions.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

If you were an actual design professional, you'd have your working environment set up so that it wouldn't matter if the screen was matte or glossy.

Horse hockey. Pure and simple. You are asking someone to potentially spend a lot of money to redesign their workspace when Apple already has the technology in place to produce both matte and glossy options.
post #63 of 69
Here's one solution (horror of horrors!) . . .

http://www.photodon.com/p/MXA-3420-01K.html

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Here's one solution (horror of horrors!) . . .

http://www.photodon.com/p/MXA-3420-01K.html

I personally like the "attached hood" option. Very classy look in a high end office environment. Provided your client goes by the call sign "Ghost Rider".
post #65 of 69
First let me say I am a big fan of the Mac. I switched to Mac in 2002 when OS X 10.1 came out and have bought a Mac about every six months since then. I have owned nearly every iMac as well as 2 laptops and 3 Mac Pros.

The worse problem I have ever had is a few dead pixels, until now. The 27" iMac has some real problems.

Inexplicable levels of heat coming off it (and since I have owned nearly all previous Alu iMacs I know hot is normal, but I'm talking about significantly more than that) and frequent beach balls for no obviously common reason. I will be installing an app and the installer estimate will start out sensible (e.g. 2 minutes remaining) and then will balloon out to 12 hours and the whole computer will start to slow down then each app will crash one after the other (I know, not like any crash I've seen before either) and then I finally restart and the restart locks up. I hope they can fix this computer because conceptually it is great: an i7 + 8GB in an all-in-one? Sounds great.

I will buy plenty more Macs in my life, but for now this one might have to go back in it's box until there is a firmware update or something because I am beginning to worry about my data.
post #66 of 69
I ordered my i7 in early January and just got an email pushing the delivery date back 3 weeks from next wednesday, not my original order date. What's going on? Is my case typical? Because it seems like I could cancel my original order, resubmit it today and have it arrive several days sooner.

Here's my status (custom configuration is due to ordering the i7 everything else is stock)

post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post

I ordered my i7 in early January and just got an email pushing the delivery date back 3 weeks from next wednesday, not my original order date. What's going on? Is my case typical? Because it seems like I could cancel my original order, resubmit it today and have it arrive several days sooner.

Here's my status (custom configuration is due to ordering the i7 everything else is stock) [IMG]

Please don't derail this thread. We're discussing matte displays here.
post #68 of 69
can't imagine that apple would upgrade the specs so soon - but - ATI did release the Mobility 5000 parts earlier this month.

it may be that the 4850s were stopgaps to get the product out the door.

personally, a quad-core i7 based imac with a 5000-series graphics option would allow me to ditch my PC that i use almost solely for gaming.
post #69 of 69
I ordered my iMac i7 (everything else stock), on Dec 26t, and it's delivery date has been pushed back twice. Now, Apple says I can expect it first week of February.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks