or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device - Page 4

post #121 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I have also read that the primary reason they switched to plastic wasn't to save money, but to get a better signal. If you notice the 2G case has a bit of plastic, where the receiving end is.

I have read a lot of stuff too, like that the Apple logo is mirrored to double as a mirror for woman applying lipstick. You hear a lot of crap here and there. You hear what you want to hear.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #122 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple calls it OS X touch then I predicted that.

Cool, and if so I'll be the first to congratulate you. I, (like many others) suspect that this tablet will run a device specific implementation of the iPhone OS. I have no idea what they'll call it, but I reckon it won't include "X."

I think that because, as I've talked about elsewhere, I believe Apple intends this device to be a ground up rethink of a "personal computer", one that largely abandons desktop OS X's UI metaphors for a new kind of information appliance, single app at a time, the-device-becomes- what-you're-doing-with-it-at-the-moment approach.

It's funny, because all the information we need is right there on the iPhone, hiding in plain sight. It's just that people can't get past the idea that the iPhone OS is a "lesser" OS because it was tailored to a hardware constrained device. Take those same ideas and apply them to a much more capable device, and I think you get something really startling.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #123 of 257
we've had this discussion on the forums months ago. There is a great debate going on about what the UI and OS will be for this device. Some say OSX mobile. Some say iPhone OS 4.0. It's an interesting debate that i'm sure is the primary reason why it has taken so long for this device to be finally unveiled to the public.

If the device is OSX Mobile, then typing (like on this forum) would be very cumbersome.
a. you would have to place the tablet on your lap or on a table with enough of a tilt to see the screen behind all that shinny glass. So the UI is the most important key to making the OSX option viable. If you look at the history of AI's posts you'll find a posting about a patent for specialized touch function Apple invented in 2008. It's compelling and interesting, but it still doesn't solve the problem of how tough it would be to type. most people will probably buy this device just to use on the sofa, or on a plane or during a commute. Just think about how anoying it is to type on the iPhone right now, that now scale up the iphone by 3 and you have a more difficult issue typing.

Sure not everyone will be using this device for going on chats or forums or emailing or writing their memoirs, but those that think typing on this will be a snap are dead wrong. So UI will be important to control the comfort.

Now, if the tablet is just a scaled up iPhone, there are some issues with that as well. Most notably is price point. If it's just a scaled up touch/phone, then you'd have to price is at a range where the most anyone can afford it, or it will defenately go the way of the MacBook Air and the ATV. A niche product to show-off to your poor friends. There's also the problem of the people that already have the iPhone or Touch that be not want this device because it's too similar to what they have (like me). And so on.

Whatever it ends up being, i'm really anxious to see it. I'm really waiting to make judgement until i see it though. Reading and speculating is such fun that i almost wish they'd just give us a hint next week. like show what it looks like and then put it away for another 6 months. Almost like watching LOST. Good times!
post #124 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple calls it OS X touch then I predicted that.

If Apple calls it iPad, "we know who" predicted that.
post #125 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

we've had this discussion on the forums months ago. There is a great debate going on about what the UI and OS will be for this device. Some say OSX mobile. Some say iPhone OS 4.0. It's an interesting debate that i'm sure is the primary reason why it has taken so long for this device to be finally unveiled to the public.

If the device is OSX Mobile, then typing (like on this forum) would be very cumbersome.
a. you would have to place the tablet on your lap or on a table with enough of a tilt to see the screen behind all that shinny glass. So the UI is the most important key to making the OSX option viable. If you look at the history of AI's posts you'll find a posting about a patent for specialized touch function Apple invented in 2008. It's compelling and interesting, but it still doesn't solve the problem of how tough it would be to type. most people will probably buy this device just to use on the sofa, or on a plane or during a commute. Just think about how anoying it is to type on the iPhone right now, that now scale up the iphone by 3 and you have a more difficult issue typing.

Sure not everyone will be using this device for going on chats or forums or emailing or writing their memoirs, but those that think typing on this will be a snap are dead wrong. So UI will be important to control the comfort.

Now, if the tablet is just a scaled up iPhone, there are some issues with that as well. Most notably is price point. If it's just a scaled up touch/phone, then you'd have to price is at a range where the most anyone can afford it, or it will defenately go the way of the MacBook Air and the ATV. A niche product to show-off to your poor friends. There's also the problem of the people that already have the iPhone or Touch that be not want this device because it's too similar to what they have (like me). And so on.

Whatever it ends up being, i'm really anxious to see it. I'm really waiting to make judgement until i see it though. Reading and speculating is such fun that i almost wish they'd just give us a hint next week. like show what it looks like and then put it away for another 6 months. Almost like watching LOST. Good times!

But, see, thinking that a larger device running a variant of the iPhone OS would be "just a scaled up iPhone" misunderstands what's going on, IMO.

The iPhone OS isn't rinky dink or crippled, it's just matched to the hardware. Better hardware, more capabilities. It's not lesser than desktop OS X, it's just different, based on different I/O parameters.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #126 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

If it can't do anything more than my iPhone, explain to me- Why Do I Want This?

So you can use it in *$'s.
post #127 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple calls it OS X touch then I predicted that.

Youre been saying itll have the Mac moniker and that itll run Mac apps. Saying its based on the same umbrella term and platform of OS X is not anything that needs predicting because Jobs said that about the AppleTV and the iPhone. Theyre all based on OS X, but they are NOT Macs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #128 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't buy the design. Certainly not an alu back. The thing will spend most of its time lying on its back getting scratched up. There will be some other material on the back side. Also don't buy the OSX interface.

An Aluminium back with rubber feet?
post #129 of 257
I found this while reading some digg post... look like it could be it:

http://netputing.com/2010/01/21/poss...of-apple-ipad/

Even look like it has an aluminum back. Not sure what the other button on the left is...
post #130 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Youre been saying itll have the Mac moniker and that itll run Mac apps. Saying its based on the same umbrella term and platform of OS X is not anything that needs predicting because Jobs said that about the AppleTV and the iPhone. Theyre all based on OS X, but they are NOT Macs.

Well this is different, to me.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #131 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well this is different, to me.

Whoa, hold on, where'd the hat eating sig go? I've got a hat in the ring (but the concept's too hard to condense to a single line). I believe there are others?

If there was ever an Apple product roll-out that called for mass hat eating, this is it, so I hope you're still in.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #132 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaltais View Post

I found this while reading some digg post... look like it could be it:

http://netputing.com/2010/01/21/poss...of-apple-ipad/

Even look like it has an aluminum back. Not sure what the other button on the left is...

the button on the left is the home button. the object on the right is not a button. this also means that this could possibly be real (though i'm not saying it is), because we're not looking at the edge that would have the docking port that the author of the post claims is "missing."
post #133 of 257
Lets not forget what the invitation looks like guys. It's a bunch of colored paint spots on a rounded corner thin border. "Latest Creation" is used in the invite. Whatever this thing is, they are basically suggesting that it will be a creation device. The iPhone and iPod are not really creation devices, they are more like consumption devices. Sure there are some creation apps (photo apps, productivity, ect) but I have a hard time believing this tablet won't be used for creating art.

I feel like a lot of you are forgetting that Apple is a company that has always served the art community, from desktop publishing to video editing, photo editing, music creation and so on.

I think this is going to act more like a full blown mac. It may not run Snow Leopard, but it's clearly more then just an oversized ipod for media consumption.

Get back to the basics for a minute, what the heck is a tablet good for? Reading and writing/drawing. If it's going to be nothing more than just an oversized ipod or a touch screen macbook, then it adds nothing to the product line. It isn't really anything new, it's just something old with a new UI.

I'm still predicting stylus support. Not as it's main form of input, but definitely as an option.
post #134 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post


This would be acceptable. And no, I don't want it to have a home button either.

The reason there was a home button on the original iPhone in the first place was because Apple didn't trust the software.
A home button is necessary because software doesn't always work right no matter how hard devs work on it. And on the small form factor of the iPhone the home button design works. For a tablet though I would like to see the home button moved off the face of the unit and moved to the sides out of the way. And the bezel should be eliminated or minimized.

I'm hoping and praying that Jon Ive is actually thinking about what kind of advanced design can be used for this tablet.
If he just phones it in and just does a giant iPhone then I'm going to be VERY disappointed.
post #135 of 257
HI

The physical design will coming soon and it will be easy to do.


James Parker.

Penny Auction
post #136 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaltais View Post

I found this while reading some digg post... look like it could be it:

http://netputing.com/2010/01/21/poss...of-apple-ipad/

Even look like it has an aluminum back. Not sure what the other button on the left is...




If this is a fake, it's a good fake.
It appears to have two home buttons!

C.
post #137 of 257
I'd like to ask all "artists" at once one and the same question...
They do realize why iPhone needs all case holes, which it has, and why tablet isn't going to?

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #138 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

the button on the left is the home button. the object on the right is not a button. this also means that this could possibly be real (though i'm not saying it is), because we're not looking at the edge that would have the docking port that the author of the post claims is "missing."

Do you have your left and right mixed up? The button on the right (near) end looks absolutely like a home button, with the rounded square symbol. The symbol is not visible for the left (far) end, I don't know how it's not a button, it has the same indentation as the clearly visible home button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I have also read that the primary reason they switched to plastic wasn't to save money, but to get a better signal. If you notice the 2G case has a bit of plastic, where the receiving end is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I have read a lot of stuff too, like that the Apple logo is mirrored to double as a mirror for woman applying lipstick. You hear a lot of crap here and there. You hear what you want to hear.

I can't find good info on where the antennae are. I wonder if it was more for looks, metal back with a plastic end looked a little odd to me.
post #139 of 257
Apple always takes a minimalist approach to design, so it's not hard to guess what it will look like. I'm more looking forward to seeing what the UI is. And whether the engineers somehow got it as thin as the Air.
post #140 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Personally, I'd like Prince to rename his first piece into something like "a history of tablet computing: on the eve of tablets" and to present us part 2 being an overview of the evolution of tablet computers and readers.

I'd like Prince to actually write a history of the tablet in the first place as opposed to the history of the pda.
post #141 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Lets not forget what the invitation looks like guys. It's a bunch of colored paint spots on a rounded corner thin border. "Latest Creation" is used in the invite. Whatever this thing is, they are basically suggesting that it will be a creation device. The iPhone and iPod are not really creation devices, they are more like consumption devices. Sure there are some creation apps (photo apps, productivity, ect) but I have a hard time believing this tablet won't be used for creating art.

I feel like a lot of you are forgetting that Apple is a company that has always served the art community, from desktop publishing to video editing, photo editing, music creation and so on.

I think this is going to act more like a full blown mac. It may not run Snow Leopard, but it's clearly more then just an oversized ipod for media consumption.

Get back to the basics for a minute, what the heck is a tablet good for? Reading and writing/drawing. If it's going to be nothing more than just an oversized ipod or a touch screen macbook, then it adds nothing to the product line. It isn't really anything new, it's just something old with a new UI.

I'm still predicting stylus support. Not as it's main form of input, but definitely as an option.

No reason not to given that wacom has a digitizer/touch screen.
post #142 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Cool, and if so I'll be the first to congratulate you. I, (like many others) suspect that this tablet will run a device specific implementation of the iPhone OS. I have no idea what they'll call it, but I reckon it won't include "X."

I think that because, as I've talked about elsewhere, I believe Apple intends this device to be a ground up rethink of a "personal computer", one that largely abandons desktop OS X's UI metaphors for a new kind of information appliance, single app at a time, the-device-becomes- what-you're-doing-with-it-at-the-moment approach.

It's funny, because all the information we need is right there on the iPhone, hiding in plain sight. It's just that people can't get past the idea that the iPhone OS is a "lesser" OS because it was tailored to a hardware constrained device. Take those same ideas and apply them to a much more capable device, and I think you get something really startling.

it isn't a lesser OS. It's just currently geared for content consumption rather than content creation (like Mac OSX). Should be interesting how or if it evolves to do more of the latter in the slate.
post #143 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'd like Prince to actually write a history of the tablet in the first place as opposed to the history of the pda.

I think I can rightfully say we both agree on this.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #144 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Whoa, hold on, where'd the hat eating sig go?

I still believe in the Mac name. I'm saying the OS will be called OS X touch. You know, just as Apple called Leopard "OS X Leopard" on that banner at that WWDC.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #145 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I think I can rightfully say we both agree on this.

But if he wrote this Apple wouldn't have wrote the history. And we all know his bent.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #146 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post




If this is a fake, it's a good fake.
It appears to have two home buttons!

C.

The "button" on the right might be the camera then... possibly for the face recognition feature that was announced yesterday...

Notice the red chair in the reflection on the screen? If fake it is really well done and could end-up looking quite like the real thing.
post #147 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But if he wrote this Apple wouldn't have wrote the history. And we all know his bent.

My bad, my bad... How come I forgot that KISS principle?

P.S. Oh my, just got an ├╝ber-title for his second piece: The day before Apple came: Dark Ages of tablets

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #148 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post



If this is a fake, it's a good fake.
It appears to have two home buttons!

C.

[CENTER]I'd much rather see Apple design move forward, as the whole iPhone/Touch design has become a bit 'tired' as of late.

If anything, I'd like to see something a bit more modern - more like this:

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #149 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]I'd much rather see Apple design move forward, as the whole iPhone/Touch design has become a bit 'tired' as of late.

If anything, I'd like to see something a bit more modern - more like this:

[/CENTER]

I think the biggest problem with this design is the corners.

In a tablet - being shoved in an out of a bag, the corners are going to take all the abuse.
A 50% plastic corner would be a problem. Especially if it is going to survive a drop.

There's another problem with a plastic back. Where is the rigidity going to come from? With a plastic case, you need an internal metal frame. I guess they could make a unibody plastic case, but wouldn't that need to be thicker?

C.
post #150 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I think the biggest problem with this design is the corners.

In a tablet - being shoved in an out of a bag, the corners are going to take all the abuse.
A 50% plastic corner would be a problem. Especially if it is going to survive a drop.

There's another problem with a plastic back. Where is the rigidity going to come from? With a plastic case, you need an internal metal frame. I guess they could make a unibody plastic case, but wouldn't that need to be thicker?

C.

[CENTER]I don't find any of the 'concerns' you've outlined to be beyond the capabilities of current structural engineering techniques.

And you're also making a number of assumptions regarding the substrates utilized in the 'device' pictured, like the use of plastic certain critical areas.

Could be advanced composites... Yes?

My thought: This design is very much like the 'device' that will be introduced so 5 days from now.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #151 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]
Could be advanced composites... Yes?
[/CENTER]

Composites? It could be....

But I would doubt that Apple would introduce yet another new case technology so soon after the last one.

The Aluminium unibody came into being to allow the creation of the MacBook Air. And it seems to me that the design requirements of the tablet are not a million miles from the Air.

C.
post #152 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Composites? It could be....

But I would doubt that Apple would introduce yet another new case technology so soon after the last one.

The Aluminium unibody came into being to allow the creation of the MacBook Air. And it seems to me that the design requirements of the tablet are not a million miles from the Air.

C.

[CENTER]Think Different

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #153 of 257
iPhone OS is a variation of OS X. The tablet will run a variation of OS X. Add a finder with networking capabilities and were good. A dock with USB, Firewire, and SD would be cool. Put a GPU in the dock and you could add an HD tuner. Now i've going too far.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #154 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Think Different
[/CENTER]

I am not so much thinking-different, as thinking; "the shadow-casting of that rendered tablet onto the MacBook is not particularly well done".

And what went wrong with the reflection?

C.
post #155 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I am not so much thinking-different, as thinking; "the shadow-casting of that rendered tablet onto the MacBook is not particularly well done".

And what went wrong with the reflection?

C.

[CENTER]All semantics, and completely irrelevant in the scope of our discussion of durability, structural technologies, and substrate possibilities for Apple's alleged 'New Creation'

With that said, I'll leave you to scrutinize the mock-up I posted as you see fit.

Have A Nice Day[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #156 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]I'd much rather see Apple design move forward, as the whole iPhone/Touch design has become a bit 'tired' as of late.

If anything, I'd like to see something a bit more modern - more like this:

How is a 10" black slab of glass more modern looking than another 10" black slab of glass with slightly different design cues? If you're going to "think different" you should...ah...think different maybe?
post #157 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


If this is a fake, it's a good fake.
It appears to have two home buttons!

C.

It could also be someone else's prototype.
post #158 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

How is a 10" black slab of glass more modern looking than another 10" black slab of glass with slightly different design cues? If you're going to "think different" you should...ah...think different maybe?

[CENTER]Modern industrial design tends to stem from more masculine cues these days e.g. more pronounced/less rounded edges, and better defined/less smooth character lines.

The 'soft' curvy lines/surfaces of the iPhone and its ilk have grown rather 'long in the tooth' when compared to some of the more current gadget/industrial designs.

Your argument appears more related to actual form factor, which given the purpose of this device simply is what it is, leaving the design details to make the device truly distinctive.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #159 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

How is a 10" black slab of glass more modern looking than another 10" black slab of glass with slightly different design cues? If you're going to "think different" you should...ah...think different maybe?

[CENTER]Additionally:

Had you taken a moment to actually follow the discussion we were having, you might have noticed that the 'Think Different' comment was actually regarding the use of advanced composites in the manufacture of structural components, and not about the physical design of the device.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #160 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It could also be someone else's prototype.

I think it is a good fake. Although the reflections look a bit dodgy.
But it is clearly supposed to be an Apple design because of the home buttons.

C.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device