or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device - Page 7

post #241 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My first thought as well. There's a rumor, if I recall correctly from a source with a pretty good track record, that the tablet has a dock connector on both long and short sides. It's not hard to imagine a weighted desk accessory with a retaining lip in front, a higher, supporting back, and a dock slot that goes the entire width so the tablet could be inserted in either orientation.

A dock thing would have the advantage of being used as a charger and I/O breakout box, as well.

Oh, and I realize a thing built into the body of the tablet has the advantage of being available where ever you are, but realistically if you're going to be propping the thing up you'll probably be at home or at your office, not just out and about. If you're planning to hang at the coffee shop, you could always bring a dock/stand thing with you.

well, if Apple doesn't design a dock, it might be a disaster. I can't find a single manufacturer that has made a worthy dock for the ipod or iphone. I have one that's a shower/iPod device, it's the 3rd third-party docking device i've purchases and it's equally crap as the first one i bought. It's almost as if these manufacturers don't even buy the unit to size the dock properly.
post #242 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

As much as I like the idea of the dock, I believe without this stand as part of he device it will never be a laptop replacement. Having to always bring the dock with you just isn't a solution, it's a pain in the ass. Build the push stand into the device means you simply press a button and you can type or work away.

I'm not buying the flat angle just-like-paper argument either. It needs to be angled. Imagine your laptop screen was totally flat, it would be a nightmare.

personally, i don't think it's going to be a laptop replacement. and all these stand ideas are just confirming that typing on this device is going to suck just as much if not more than on the phone/touch, since the screen is bigger. we discussed this on the forums last summer...
post #243 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

well, if Apple doesn't design a dock, it might be a disaster. I can't find a single manufacturer that has made a worthy dock for the ipod or iphone. I have one that's a shower/iPod device, it's the 3rd third-party docking device i've purchases and it's equally crap as the first one i bought. It's almost as if these manufacturers don't even buy the unit to size the dock properly.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking of:

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #244 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If shoehorning Mac OS X into a 10 tablet is your idea of revolution we arent even speaking the same language.

Yeah, I want shoehorning! NOT
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #245 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I can see why you don't work in Apple's ID department. This is totally impractical; and if you know anything about SJ, you'll remember that he hates moving parts on his devices.

First things first I wouldn't work for Apple. Second--you don't know the meaning of "impractical". The whole point of this "rest" is to make the device practical. It's to get around the fact that a 10" slab is by definition impractical. I made these mockups in 5 minutes with a pen a paper, I'm sure you're such a genius you could do better (thick sarcasm). Also, when in the closed position it wouldn't get in the way,

And last but not least--iPod shuffle, iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air. All have moving parts.
post #246 of 257
Quote:

1) Typing excessively on a piece of glass instead of a full-sized keyboard is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

2) Having half my useable display go away because I need to type something is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

3) A 10” display over 13”+ is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

4) An ARM powered device of Intel Core is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

5) A several dozen GB of NAND when I can get 500GB HDD for less money is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

Overthrow it? Probably not. Dominate it? Probably.
post #247 of 257
thank you.
post #248 of 257
Quote:

This is almost exactly what I was thinking of:

I do like that. I'd wish for a 13" tablet or something instead of 10" though.

I think I'd try to set it up so it could dock along either edge but the cut out for the button is nice.

That and I'd probably want the keyboard and dock to pack nicely together somehow...
post #249 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I think I'd try to set it up so it could dock along either edge but the cut out for the button is nice.

That and I'd probably want the keyboard and dock to pack nicely together somehow...

The device is clearly just a huge 1st gen iPhone but I do like the dock. I doubt it would be feasible unless the backing was taller, but that tablet is quite thick. Im thinking Apples tablet will be proportionately thinner.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #250 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It's possible that the tablet could have two home buttons, but as long as it has two dock connectors it could go landscape or portrait on that particular design, since the slot runs the length of the thing.

I agree about the keyboard.
post #251 of 257
Quote:

The device is clearly just a huge 1st gen iPhone but I do like the dock. I doubt it would be feasible unless the backing was taller, but that tablet is quite thick. Im thinking Apples tablet will be proportionately thinner.

That's the only difference from what I was imagining-- a taller back part for support and to keep it from wanting to rotate around the fulcrum of the dock connection itself, which would be a point of failure.
post #252 of 257
Quote:

It's possible that the tablet could have two home buttons, but as long as it has two dock connectors it could go landscape or portrait on that particular design, since the slot runs the length of the thing.

I have to think that won’t happen, at least not like we see in these iPhone=like mockups. The iPhone Home Button works well on the iPhone since it’s easily accessible regardless of orientation (except upside down) but it’s a small device. I’d think a 10” tablet would be held differently so Home Buttons on the edge of the front is less likely, especially in the center of the sides.

How about something a kin to the trackpad on Mac notebooks, but for the backpanel trackpad that I think is inevitable. Squeezing the device is a simple and natural action. You have back panel fingertip commands, frontside display thumb typing on the sides you are holding it and can quickly switch apps and/or views by giving the device being held in one or two hands a quick squeeze.
post #253 of 257
Quote:

I have to think that wont happen, at least not like we see in these iPhone=like mockups. The iPhone Home Button works well on the iPhone since its easily accessible regardless of orientation (except upside down) but its a small device. Id think a 10 tablet would be held differently so Home Buttons on the edge of the front is less likely, especially in the center of the sides.

How about something a kin to the trackpad on Mac notebooks, but for the backpanel trackpad that I think is inevitable. Squeezing the device is a simple and natural action. You have back panel fingertip commands, frontside display thumb typing on the sides you are holding it and can quickly switch apps and/or views by giving the device being held in one or two hands a quick squeeze.

A quick squeeze doing home button duties would be awesome. However, at least one the millions of ambient rumors has had it that the physical layout of this thing is extremely iPhone like, and that a mockup only missed by not having more iPhone specific hardware bits.

Of course, the rumor doesn't have to be true, but it does seem to me that, short of your idea, a single home button centered on a short side would be under thumb in landscape mode and a reach of a few inches in portrait, so I wouldn't count it out.
post #254 of 257

I like this idea, it could also be used in landscape mode, & would match nicely with the small keyboard. The Dock could have a couple of USB ports as well as a TV out port. No way would it have firewire.

On second thoughts, maybe just one home button & a camera to video chat etc on the other end.
Or.. two home buttons & a camera on the long side as most people will probably use it in landscape mode?

.. or maybe the interface will be so good with a translucent floating keyboard, that a need for such a dock would be unnecessary.
post #255 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevbucky View Post

I like this idea, it could also be used in landscape mode, & would match nicely with the small keyboard. The Dock could have a couple of USB ports as well as a TV out port. No way would it have firewire.

On second thoughts, maybe just one home button & a camera to video chat etc on the other end.
Or.. two home buttons & a camera on the long side as most people will probably use it in landscape mode?

.. or maybe the interface will be so good with a translucent floating keyboard, that a need for such a dock would be unnecessary.

Looking at it again the tablet seems too big to be a 10" device. It seems about as long as the keyboard section (sans trackpad) which I think is at least 10" long itself for a non-shrunken keyboard.
post #256 of 257
Apple Design Lab
Top Secret Plans

Stage 1: Design Computer with no computer or trackpad.
Stage 2: Come up with solution to solve the "no keyboard or trackpad problem"
Stage 3: Profit!

C.
post #257 of 257
And just like the underpants gnomes' financial theories, you could substitute "?" for:

Step 2: Come up with solution to solve the "no keyboard or trackpad problem"

Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device