or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Temporary Insanity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Temporary Insanity - Page 7

post #241 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Keyboard dock!

Yay! Everyone wins! Pages would have suxxored without it.
post #242 of 274
Things I'm really wondering about:

Chat client?

Camera?

iMovie?

What up with the "A4" chip? Customized Arm from their acquisition guys?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #243 of 274
I know a lot of people are going to be underwhelmed, but this really is a cumulation of a lot of the stuff Apple has been doing for the past 10 years.

Maybe no one thing just jumps out at you as being game changing awesome, but the way all of it works together (including the ecosystem) plus the aggressive pricing could make this thing huge.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #244 of 274
A4= PA Semi + ARM Architectural License for Apple + Samsung (manufacturing) Licence
post #245 of 274
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I know a lot of people are going to be underwhelmed, but this really is a cumulation of a lot of the stuff Apple has been doing for the past 10 years.

Maybe no one thing just jumps out at you as being game changing awesome, but the way all of it works together (including the ecosystem) plus the aggressive pricing could make this thing huge.

I'm pretty happy with it and will likely get the Wifi model, probably the basic 16GB or 32GB. Have enough internet with my Phone anyways and the low cost is killer (have to wait and see prices in Japan).

iWork looks awesome, and the new version of Brushes looks really nice. More apps will be upgraded for the iPad, and it will be an awesome platform.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #246 of 274
Love it or loathe it, initial sales figures will pretty much pass judgement on the iPad. I suspect this won't create many new Apple consumers, certainly not in the same way the iPhone and iPod did, nowhere near.
post #247 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Love it or loathe it, initial sales figures will pretty much pass judgement on the iPad. I suspect this won't create many new Apple consumers, certainly not in the same way the iPhone and iPod did, nowhere near.

I don't know about that.

I know devout PC users who have fallen in love with the iPod Touch. And this is just a really big iPod Touch.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #248 of 274
And, like the iPhone, it will rise or fall on word of mouth.

You could take the negative commentary from the introduction of the iPhone and copy and paste most of it into the current iPad thread and you wouldn't know the difference. People were quick to judge based on what they imagined it was missing, or specs, or both.

What those people didn't count on was the experience of using the thing, and how that won people over. Lots of people.

My suspicion is that a lot of people are going to walk into an Apple store just to check it out, try one, and end up buying. My further suspicion is that a lot of those people are going to realize that a $500 device pretty much covers everything they've been using a laptop or netbook for, but with a lot more panache. Or, dare I say it, fun.

Tech weenies think fun is a stupid reason to buy things for, normal people do not.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #249 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And, like the iPhone, it will rise or fall on word of mouth.

You could take the negative commentary from the introduction of the iPhone and copy and paste most of it into the current iPad thread and you wouldn't know the difference. People were quick to judge based on what they imagined it was missing, or specs, or both.

What those people didn't count on was the experience of using the thing, and how that won people over. Lots of people.

My suspicion is that a lot of people are going to walk into an Apple store just to check it out, try one, and end up buying. My further suspicion is that a lot of those people are going to realize that a $500 device pretty much covers everything they've been using a laptop or netbook for, but with a lot more panache. Or, dare I say it, fun.

Tech weenies think fun is a stupid reason to buy things for, normal people do not.

The iPhone is a phone, it's small, you carry it around everywhere and pretty much everyone needs a phone. Phones are status symbols too, the iPhone is cool and lovely to use. It's convenient and practical and the iPhone 'culture' that's developed since its creation has served Apple well. Similar scenario with the iPod, which is also cheap enough to buy on impulse.

The iPad is neither of the above.
post #250 of 274
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

The iPhone is a phone, it's small, you carry it around everywhere and pretty much everyone needs a phone. Phones are status symbols too, the iPhone is cool and lovely to use. It's convenient and practical and the iPhone 'culture' that's developed since its creation has served Apple well. Similar scenario with the iPod, which is also cheap enough to buy on impulse.

The iPad is neither of the above.

The iPad is cool. If you whip it out at a meeting with your presentation on it, heads will turn. If you sit in a coffee shop drawing on it, heads will turn. Kindle users will turn their heads when they see color and graphics they haven't got.

This baby is going to sell.


And so will iWork. Keynote on the iPad will blow Powerpoint (on any machine) out of the water, for ten bucks.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #251 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

The iPhone is a phone, it's small, you carry it around everywhere and pretty much everyone needs a phone. Phones are status symbols too, the iPhone is cool and lovely to use. It's convenient and practical and the iPhone 'culture' that's developed since its creation has served Apple well. Similar scenario with the iPod, which is also cheap enough to buy on impulse.

The iPad is neither of the above.

No, the iPad is something different. If it does well, it will be because it creates its own market, just like the iPhone did.

It's easy, in hindsight, to make claims of the failure proof aspects of the iPhone, but the fact is that at its release there was no such thing as a mass market smart phone that made accessing the web and actually using apps commonplace for the average user.

I work at a school, I can see us buying dozens of these things. For the kind of stuff we use laptops for-- calendering, presentations, email, web, light word processing, asset scheduling-- these things would be perfect. Cheap, small, super easy to use. For my area, theater arts, having a little tablet to run sound cues and Keynote slides is a godsend. To the extent that the exact app I might need isn't available, I can have a fair amount of faith that apps will get written, thanks to the financial lure of the App Store.

We don't really know, yet, what kind of uses developers and users will find for this form factor, coupled with Apple's ease of use and excellent productivity apps. Just declaring what it isn't, and concluding that it therefore isn't anything, much, is pretty short sighted, IMO.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #252 of 274
Guys and Gals(if any), I apologize for my absence the past 24 hours. Rest assured I am well and gradually digesting the RDF like that pit monster thingy in Return of The Jedi.
post #253 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I'm pretty happy with it and will likely get the Wifi model, probably the basic 16GB or 32GB. Have enough internet with my Phone anyways and the low cost is killer (have to wait and see prices in Japan).

iWork looks awesome, and the new version of Brushes looks really nice. More apps will be upgraded for the iPad, and it will be an awesome platform.

I'm thinking the WiFi model, 32GB because 16GB sounds small and may be harder to resell. I would love to have a capacitative pen, I wonder if that will become a common accessory. I sometimes just like pen on paper, and simulating that with some apps and so on with the iPad will be nice.
post #254 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The iPad is cool. If you whip it out at a meeting with your presentation on it, heads will turn. If you sit in a coffee shop drawing on it, heads will turn. Kindle users will turn their heads when they see color and graphics they haven't got.

This baby is going to sell.

And so will iWork. Keynote on the iPad will blow Powerpoint (on any machine) out of the water, for ten bucks.

Even if the iPad is rather "useless", the market won't figure it out until the end of the year and 10 million units later...

Too bad, but Kindle and other e-Book/Nooky users will feel like poor sods.
post #255 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm thinking the WiFi model, 32GB because 16GB sounds small and may be harder to resell. I would love to have a capacitative pen, I wonder if that will become a common accessory. I sometimes just like pen on paper, and simulating that with some apps and so on with the iPad will be nice.

What do you mean you wonder? It already exists : Google: "iPhone Stylus"

One of a thousand accessories for this thing. Cameras will come, connect by bluetooth or 30 pin. And on and on and on.

Some of you really hurt my head with your lack of any knowledge or imagination.
post #256 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Love it or loathe it, initial sales figures will pretty much pass judgement on the iPad. I suspect this won't create many new Apple consumers, certainly not in the same way the iPhone and iPod did, nowhere near.

Nowhere near, but 10 million units in 2010 is good enough, I'm sure. This may not be bigger than the iPod or iPhone, but it is an important product.
post #257 of 274
Ok, initially I just wasn't convinced. But 24 hours later I find I've softened to the idea of owning an iPad!

In fact I've even changed my fantasy mac line-up; I've deleted the stationary power mac and replaced it with a 17" (maybe 19"!) macbook pro with 1080p screen, bluray player and new faster cpu, an iphone 3G 4.0 with oled screen (etc) and...ahem...a 64gb 3G iPad.

That combination may just work really well with me and fit my lifestyle perfectly.

Damn you Jobs...looks like you got me in the end.

I think clever third party accessories and iPad specific apps have the power to make this a true success.
post #258 of 274
The RDF is strong but different this time. It's not a BOOM! but a slowly creeping sensation that there has been a disturbance in the industry... 24 hours later I too am slowly getting an itch... I feel the need... the need... for something I might not need. Initially I was flabbergasted by the thickness of the bezel, but now I realise it might help gripping it. The thinness and the feel, I think, once you hold it, boy... Electronics are not supposed to stimulate such... um... "desires"...

I swear Apple will be the first to invent My_iRobot* -- your truly human-like, multi-touch-sensitive personal robot friend. That and My_iPony for girls.

*Yes, it can be your sexbot but you have to jailbreak it first.
post #259 of 274
As said in another thread, Stephen Fry pretty much sums it up...

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/
post #260 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The iPad is cool. If you whip it out at a meeting with your presentation on it, heads will turn. If you sit in a coffee shop drawing on it, heads will turn. Kindle users will turn their heads when they see color and graphics they haven't got.

This baby is going to sell.


And so will iWork. Keynote on the iPad will blow Powerpoint (on any machine) out of the water, for ten bucks.

Heads will turn? The thing looks like a friggin JOO JOO! It looks like a cheap asian pc based tablet from a couple of years ago!
This thing was designed by the great Jonny Ive?
They should make the bezel bigger because I can almost make out a screen!

And the GUI.....for the love of god it's no different than a freakin iphone! They didn't do ANYTHING new for the gui as it pertains to the specifics of a tablet form factor.
What the living hell????????????
post #261 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

As said in another thread, Stephen Fry pretty much sums it up...

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/

No, no he doesn't.

There were no "meh"s or "big deals" exclaimed by people with the original iphone.
For the most part people were going "HOLY TOLEDO I'VE GOT TO HAVE ONE"!
post #262 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Heads will turn? The thing looks like a friggin JOO JOO! It looks like a cheap asian pc based tablet from a couple of years ago!
This thing was designed by the great Jonny Ive?
They should make the bezel bigger because I can almost make out a screen!

And the GUI.....for the love of god it's no different than a freakin iphone! They didn't do ANYTHING new for the gui as it pertains to the specifics of a tablet form factor.
What the living hell????????????

But that's not true. It absolutely does new stuff for the GUI, just not outlandish stuff like waving your hands above the surface or a set of "steep learning curve" gestures.

Take a look at Gurber's rundown here.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #263 of 274
This iPad could be great for Sales, Advertising and Marketing Professionals to show photo samples.
Oh for the old days when I lugged around 40lbs of samples... on iPad would have changed all that... and no more 1 - 4 hours updating samples every two weeks. Done via the net as required.

I think some business will love it!! \ Time will tell. iPad Vr. 2 will tell a better story.
post #264 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But that's not true. It absolutely does new stuff for the GUI, just not outlandish stuff like waving your hands above the surface or a set of "steep learning curve" gestures.

Take a look at Gurber's rundown here.

Are we talking about the same product? Just look at the home page! Icons on a desktop like background with a main icon bar at the bottom just like the iphone. Except, with such a large surface area the GUI becomes cumbersome and silly.

They could have adapted coverflow as a GUI interface and that would have been wonderful to use.

There is a multitude of things they coulda done. Have you seen those videos of supposed tablet interface leaks on youtube? I'll give you the links later cause I'm about to leave work.
I'll post back in an hour or so.
post #265 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

No, no he doesn't.

There were no "meh"s or "big deals" exclaimed by people with the original iphone.
For the most part people were going "HOLY TOLEDO I'VE GOT TO HAVE ONE"!

Well, my experience was the complete opposite. I was one of the those exclaiming meh's and big deals and consequently didn't buy one as it was useless. What's more, I wasn't alone. I remember it vividly.

Anyway, just a random thought...wouldn't iTab have been a better name?
post #266 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Are we talking about the same product? Just look at the home page! Icons on a desktop like background with a main icon bar at the bottom just like the iphone. Except, with such a large surface area the GUI becomes cumbersome and silly.

They could have adapted coverflow as a GUI interface and that would have been wonderful to use.

There is a multitude of things they coulda done. Have you seen those videos of supposed tablet interface leaks on youtube? I'll give you the links later cause I'm about to leave work.
I'll post back in an hour or so.

Really? Your sense of failed UI opportunities comes from not living up to the fantasies of the internet?

And while coverflow is pretty, I'm not sure why having to page through a linear presentation of apps is "wonderful" compared to just having a bunch of them there to directly click on.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #267 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Well, my experience was the complete opposite. I was one of the those exclaiming meh's and big deals and consequently didn't buy one as it was useless. What's more, I wasn't alone. I remember it vividly.

Anyway, just a random thought...wouldn't iTab have been a better name?

Yeah, there was a great deal of meh-ing and whatever-ing at the iPhone intro-- it's just been conveniently erased from memory, so we can do it all over again with the iPad.

I think it's kind of interesting to note that the most enthusiastic responses I've seen have come from people in SF who got to use one. They pretty uniformly rave about the speed, fluidity and intuitiveness of the UI.

Pretty much the way it went down with the iPhone.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #268 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Really? Your sense of failed UI opportunities comes from not living up to the fantasies of the internet?

And while coverflow is pretty, I'm not sure why having to page through a linear presentation of apps is "wonderful" compared to just having a bunch of them there to directly click on.

*sigh* Use your imagination man! The technology of the coverflow method could have been adapted for use as a gui. And what exactly from those internet concept videos do you consider fantasy? Apple's A4 chip obviously can handle a lot of the necessary processing. All that was standing in the way was the imagination of the programmers.
I think it's time for Jobs to start firing people and bringing in some fresh blood. Unfortunately, the only way for that to happen now is if he were to feel the heat of the competition over time.

What is getting me angry though is the unnecessary wait of that time.
Apple is lucky not to have me as a boss. I would be 10 times worse than Jobs at being terrifying!.
post #269 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Really? Your sense of failed UI opportunities comes from not living up to the fantasies of the internet?

And while coverflow is pretty, I'm not sure why having to page through a linear presentation of apps is "wonderful" compared to just having a bunch of them there to directly click on.

Oh and another thing, wasn't the original iphone itself actually BEYOND any internet fantasy of what it might be right up to the moment of the reveal? Don't tell me what can and can't be done!
post #270 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, there was a great deal of meh-ing and whatever-ing at the iPhone intro-- it's just been conveniently erased from memory, so we can do it all over again with the iPad.

I think it's kind of interesting to note that the most enthusiastic responses I've seen have come from people in SF who got to use one. They pretty uniformly rave about the speed, fluidity and intuitiveness of the UI.

Pretty much the way it went down with the iPhone.

Where are you people getting this from? I was there at the iPhone reveal and my first reaction to it (which is recorded on this very forum) was I WANT THAT NOW! And so was the sentiments of millions upon millions of future iphone owners.
The "mehs" and "whatever-ing" were either people soon to be converts or those who are now considered a minority.

This time it's different. Reviews and reactions this time are quite quite mixed to say the least. A "good" effort by Apple doesn't cut it anymore. A "good" or "decent" effort by Apple is below their standards.

Hey, I didn't set the standards. Apple did.
post #271 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hey, I didn't set the standards. Apple did.

This was the usual forum reaction to another Apple product.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

C.
post #272 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, there was a great deal of meh-ing and whatever-ing at the iPhone intro-- it's just been conveniently erased from memory, so we can do it all over again with the iPad.

I think it's kind of interesting to note that the most enthusiastic responses I've seen have come from people in SF who got to use one. They pretty uniformly rave about the speed, fluidity and intuitiveness of the UI.

Pretty much the way it went down with the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

*sigh* Use your imagination man! The technology of the coverflow method could have been adapted for use as a gui. And what exactly from those internet concept videos do you consider fantasy? Apple's A4 chip obviously can handle a lot of the necessary processing. All that was standing in the way was the imagination of the programmers.
I think it's time for Jobs to start firing people and bringing in some fresh blood. Unfortunately, the only way for that to happen now is if he were to feel the heat of the competition over time.

What is getting me angry though is the unnecessary wait of that time.
Apple is lucky not to have me as a boss. I would be 10 times worse than Jobs at being terrifying!.

It seems a bit mundane to many that were thinking big and thinking of some real cutting-edge tablet multitasking, Avatar-style whatevers.

But for the masses, it really looks like the easiest and simplest way to do what it does. On this I am quite sure about.

Of course, there is always room for improvement.

In any case Apple is more or less really mainstream now. Good ideas and products, some riskier than others, but they have their sights firmly on becoming gradually (if not already in some areas) *widely* accepted.

Hope I'm making some sense here. Friday evening and knocking off work soon, after quite an interesting iPad-infused (as in cup runneth many times over) week.
post #273 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Oh and another thing, wasn't the original iphone itself actually BEYOND any internet fantasy of what it might be right up to the moment of the reveal? Don't tell me what can and can't be done!

Some products will be revolutionary, some will be evolutionary, some will be experiments, some will be big headliners, some will me market testers.

The iPad is kinda all of this at once.
post #274 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

This was the usual forum reaction to another Apple product.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

C.

Yes there was the usual mindless complaining. But this time it's a bit different. The only way for people to understand this critical difference is for some company to come out with a competing product that achieves what John Gruber and others have been thinking about for some time and hoping the iPad was gonna be.
And that is a revolution in personal computing....not a evolution but a revolution. To be able to go beyond the desktop, beyond a laptop which is really a mini desktop and to have a device that enables you to WEILD information like a weapon.
A smartphone isn't that that answer...it makes a decent attempt though. But, It doesn't have enough power.
And with that hardware and more importantly software, the iPad is not that answer either.

But damnit to hell it coulda been!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Temporary Insanity