or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2 - Page 2

post #41 of 133
Games testing? Well anything to help Americans be more productive. That's the important thing.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
post #42 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

to reply to my own post. it's not tracking ads, but rather flurry had analytics that developers can ad to their own apps that reports back to flurry as the apps are launched. This is for developers to track the usage of their own apps, but certainly could tell Flurry about new devices running those same apps.

But, again, this tracking would be limited to the existing apps this analyltics is installed on, thus their tracking wouldn't tell you anything about new apps, like a potential iWorks touch.

I didn't read anything about new unpublished app in the article. What Flurry is saying here is that their tracking logs are showing the tablet running iPhone OS 3.2 and using already existing App Store apps. They also provided a category breakdown of the apps used by the tablet as shown in their logs.
post #43 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

so how does a 3rd party firm track what applications are being downloaded to these devices and what API are they using to ask what kind of device it is?

If apps are being downloaded, aren't they coming from the Apple iTunes store to the Apple campus?

I tend to agree. It does make sense though that "the number of apps in use," which is what Flurry said it was measuring, would skew more toward games and entertainment since games are said to be a big focus of the presentation on Wednesday.
post #44 of 133
The current version is 3.1.2 right? So 3.2 is an unreleased version? It's unreleased and it could be ANYTHING. Maybe, because Apple knows it's being tracked, maybe that's just a place holder and then on Wed, the version will be renamed 4.0 Not sure why there's so much freaking out here, wasn't it said ages ago that the tablet would be running on a version of the iPhone OS and not OSX ? This in no way limits would the new version could be capable of....Personally, top on my essential's list is a fullsized on screen keyboard. Would be so cool to do all email and web surfing on such a portable device.
post #45 of 133
This is exciting. I can't wait for Wednesday.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #46 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Correct. And again, I really believe this company just made it up. Everyone is doing it attitude, for a little publicity.

He also says his terms & conditions prevent them from providing any actual evidence, just their word should good enough.

Good grief.

Their terms of service & condition prevent them from releasing the name of the apps that uses their services. It is up to the developer to disclose if their app uses tracking and analytical tools.
post #47 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

If that's true AND IT COST $999 this will result in Elic fail.

One giant iPod touch with iPhoto and iPhone OS does not sound innovative at all.

Plus the company doing this leaks the info? No way. This is just part of Apples epic marketing technique for FREE PRESS then followed by a real working ipad, facial, iWork and innovative. Classic Apple publicity stunt. If true though man, this won't be good. It will start making me wondering about the vaporware courier.

Apple has all along been making incremental upgrades. The iPod morphed into the Touch/iPhone. Every new version ups the ante and the next thing you know Apple is leading a particular category. Sometimes items that are separate products wind up being pieces of a system that in concert produce a class-leading device. For instance, iTunes and the App Store are an important element in the Touch/iPhone's success.

Maybe on Wednesday Apple unveils a giant iPod Touch, hopefully priced accordingly, but it's only a first step towards something bigger, just as the iPod led to the Touch which led to the iPhone. This incremental approach makes sense if the intention is to have a successful business model. It's not so much about bringing out something that impresses with its innovation because an innovative product will fail if it lacks the infrastructure to be useful to the consumer. Content for the Touch/iPhone platform is plentiful. It's a good starting point for a tablet. You build from there so that consumers will have something useful for their tablets to do while Apple builds up a collection of apps and content designed specifically for the tablet. In the meantime, all that Touch content will be that much more enjoyable accessed via a device with a larger screen. If you had a choice between a $300 3-inch Touch or a $500 7-inch Touch, wouldn't that extra $200 seem like a reasonable amount to spend?

From there, over the next few years, I'm sure Apple could evolve the tablet in the direction many are hoping for. This is how Apple has operated in recent years and I'd have to say, it's working. The company is flourishing beyond anyone's wildest expectations.
post #48 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Maybe on Wednesday Apple unveils a giant iPod Touch, hopefully priced accordingly, but it's only a first step towards something bigger, just as the iPod led to the Touch which led to the iPhone.

Your order is wrong. The iPhone 2G actually preceded the original iPod touch by several months.

In fact, this has always been the case. The new iPhones debut in the summer (June/July) whereas the new iPod touches debut in the fall (September/October).
post #49 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

My guess is that it will be great in multiple ways, but will have infuriating defects, omissions and lockdowns. Just like the iPhone.

But it will sell for a stupid-high price, and there will be lines overnight filled with giddy fanbois for the press to photograph on launch day.

Later, Apple will fix some glaring omissions and lower the price. Just like the iPhone.

Then, over time, they will add basic functionality and the price will still be higher than competitor's tablets, and folks will still buy them, this time crowing about how much it was worth it to spend more money for a basic feature that was intentionally omitted from earlier generations. Just like the iPhone.

While this is 100% logical, I hope you're wrong. I hope Apple realizes that with an App Store already in place, there is no reason for slow adoption, or to price gouge.

I also think there are more than a few people who are still angry about the bait and switch Apple pulled with the iPhone. If you remember that resulted in $100 credit to all iPhone customers.

I have a strong feeling that Apple will want to sell this device, rather than dangle it front of people like most Macs, which are typically unaffordable.
post #50 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Their terms of service & condition prevent them from releasing the name of the apps that uses their services. It is up to the developer to disclose if their app uses tracking and analytical tools.

According to another site, this guy from the firm claims that he can see information that confirms it is the Tablet running 3.2

He cannot provide this information however.
--

As they say, pics or it didn't happen.
post #51 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

According to another site, this guy from the firm claims that he can see information that confirms it is the Tablet running 3.2

He cannot provide this information however.
--

As they say, pics or it didn't happen.

We'll know soon enough.
post #52 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

According to another site, this guy from the firm claims that he can see information that confirms it is the Tablet running 3.2

He cannot provide this information however.
--

As they say, pics or it didn't happen.

Pics of what exactly? the logs? if they really want to lie about it then they can create fake logs too. It wouldn't surprise me that the tablet might be running an OS that identifies itself as iPhone OS 3.2 and it is logical that Apple might be testing existing app with the tablet. There were reports months ago that the tablet will include a simulator that runs iPhone apps. What this guy said is consistent with what we've been reading for the last few months.
post #53 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Your order is wrong. The iPhone 2G actually preceded the original iPod touch by several months.

In fact, this has always been the case. The new iPhones debut in the summer (June/July) whereas the new iPod touches debut in the fall (September/October).

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't recall the exact order but It is valid to argue that Apple has evolved its products incrementally starting off with a music player and advancing in stages from there when the market was ready.
post #54 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

While this is 100% logical, I hope you're wrong. I hope Apple realizes that with an App Store already in place, there is no reason for slow adoption, or to price gouge.

I also think there are more than a few people who are still angry about the bait and switch Apple pulled with the iPhone. If you remember that resulted in $100 credit to all iPhone customers.

I have a strong feeling that Apple will want to sell this device, rather than dangle it front of people like most Macs, which are typically unaffordable.

Most Macs are not typically unaffordable. They are different enough that a direct comparison with offerings from the PC side is rather tricky. For instance, the Mac Mini might, at first glance, appear expensive but if you factor in the software that it comes with, not so much. Apple doesn't gouge consumers re the OS to the extent Microsoft has. There is only one OS for laptops and desktops and the most recent upgrade was very reasonably priced. As well, the iLfe suite, included with the Mini, is a very good package, certainly better than what is included with your typical PC. The Mini is a good value, taken as a whole.

The iPhone isn't overpriced, neither is the iMac or the various iPods. Apple makes more money by offering products at a lower price point but it balances that off with the goal of being perceived as a higher-grade alternative. Apple doesn't do cheap but it does do affordable. There is a difference.
post #55 of 133
Hope it's fake. iPhone os probably means the same iTunes lock in we currently have with with iPhones. I want to get my apps from anywhere or be able to write them myself. Also I think it's kinda essential that there's one common file system that all aps can access like a normal pc. If I got one of these I would want it for work so I would want to be able to access common drives for files easily, not set each app up to have access
post #56 of 133
Are people still hanging onto the belief that this will be a fully-functional device running OS X? Something that could replace a MacBook? I just don't see it.
post #57 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Maybe its capable of running 3.2, but I see almost no reason for 50 devices to be running the current iPhone OS if the key features of the Tablet are 4.0 connected.

Suppose the tablet is capable of running both 3.2 and 4.0, and they want to expand the pool of testers purely to test the hardware of the first production units. They could give them tablets running 3.2 without worrying about opening up the full capabilities of the device and O/S to more people that don't need to know about it yet.
post #58 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post

Are people still hanging onto the belief that this will be a fully-functional device running OS X? Something that could replace a MacBook? I just don't see it.

OS X, yes. Mac OS X, no. iPhone OS X, no. Tablet OS X, yes. Closer to iPhone OS than to Mac OS, but distinct from the ground up that it is, in its own right, a separate OS flavour of the OS X family.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #59 of 133
How innovative indeed, a $1000 oversized iPod touch that has a couple of new apps to read magazines books and newspapers! WOW how exciting!

What a joke, I really fail to see the how this "tablet" will sell well because I don't see a market for a 10 inch ipod touch that costs 1000 bucks. If that indeed is what it is...then this will be a flop akin to the Cube. I really really hope it isn't, all this hype for that would be extremely anti-climactic.
post #60 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Most Macs are not typically unaffordable. They are different enough that a direct comparison with offerings from the PC side is rather tricky. For instance, the Mac Mini might, at first glance, appear expensive but if you factor in the software that it comes with, not so much. Apple doesn't gouge consumers re the OS to the extent Microsoft has. There is only one OS for laptops and desktops and the most recent upgrade was very reasonably priced. As well, the iLfe suite, included with the Mini, is a very good package, certainly better than what is included with your typical PC. The Mini is a good value, taken as a whole.

The iPhone isn't overpriced, neither is the iMac or the various iPods. Apple makes more money by offering products at a lower price point but it balances that off with the goal of being perceived as a higher-grade alternative. Apple doesn't do cheap but it does do affordable. There is a difference.

I have to disagree strongly that Macs are affordable computers.

The MacMini, if the user has quality peripherals, is affordable.
The MacBook only recently hit the $999 price point. It is just barely affordable.
The iMac has just recently come down close to reality and is almost affordable.

Every configuration beyond that is unjustifiable for most of the population. If you need proof the amount of advertising Apple does vs. units sold will tell you all you ever need to know. If people could afford Macs, they'd buy them. Slowly, the adoption rate is increasing, but we're still talking small chunks of market share.

The iPhone itself is $99 which makes it a major player. At $80/mon it carries a higher than average monthly bill for U.S. mobiles, but that trend is changing rapidly. The iPhone is properly price. Perhaps perfectly.

Macs, not so much. I'm still sitting at $1500 iMac, but I know how to get my money's worth from it. The average computer user would and could not.

The average computer user in 2010 isn't even a computer user. They are Web/App users. They want the goodies without any of the sweat. Personally it disgusts me, but its reality.
post #61 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't recall the exact order but It is valid to argue that Apple has evolved its products incrementally starting off with a music player and advancing in stages from there when the market was ready.

Also note that despite the Touch update coming a few months after the iPhone update it has also included some minor updates that arent found in the iPhone until the following year. For instance, the volume controls for the Apple headphones worked with the IPod Touch of 2008, but didnt work with the iPhone until the 3GS, released in 2009.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post

Suppose the tablet is capable of running both 3.2 and 4.0, and they want to expand the pool of testers purely to test the hardware of the first production units. They could give them tablets running 3.2 without worrying about opening up the full capabilities of the device and O/S to more people that don't need to know about it yet.

How about the possibility that Apple is not finished with 4.0 nor ready to demonstrate it yet? What if 3.2 has code for the tablet and a couple of new features (that will also filter to the iPhone and Touch), but Apple has something really exciting for 4.0 that they want to wait and demonstrate later (another press opportunity), say just before the Tablet is actually available in stores?

Tablet demonstrated with 3.2, also available now for iPhone and Touch to tide us over
4.0 demoed in later February or early March, available in June for all mobile devices.

Possible, likely? We'll see....
post #63 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Pics of what exactly? the logs? if they really want to lie about it then they can create fake logs too. It wouldn't surprise me that the tablet might be running an OS that identifies itself as iPhone OS 3.2 and it is logical that Apple might be testing existing app with the tablet. There were reports months ago that the tablet will include a simulator that runs iPhone apps. What this guy said is consistent with what we've been reading for the last few months.

I just meant, don't provide info if your 'source' is top secret. In the web world its meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post

Are people still hanging onto the belief that this will be a fully-functional device running OS X? Something that could replace a MacBook? I just don't see it.

Not at all. I have been under the assumption (and probably wrong) that the Tablet OS is very similar to the next generation iPhone OS aka 4.0. So hear it running 3.2 makes it sound much less significant than we hope it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post

Suppose the tablet is capable of running both 3.2 and 4.0, and they want to expand the pool of testers purely to test the hardware of the first production units. They could give them tablets running 3.2 without worrying about opening up the full capabilities of the device and O/S to more people that don't need to know about it yet.

Possible, but not with the event 2 days away. Furthermore to launch a NEW product with software 3.2 sounds like something Microsoft would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

OS X, yes. Mac OS X, no. iPhone OS X, no. Tablet OS X, yes. Closer to iPhone OS than to Mac OS, but distinct from the ground up that it is, in its own right, a separate OS flavour of the OS X family.

I really really hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

How innovative indeed, a $1000 oversized iPod touch that has a couple of new apps to read magazines books and newspapers! WOW how exciting!

What a joke, I really fail to see the how this "tablet" will sell well because I don't see a market for a 10 inch ipod touch that costs 1000 bucks. If that indeed is what it is...then this will be a flop akin to the Cube. I really really hope it isn't, all this hype for that would be extremely anti-climactic.

If you're correct, big iPod, $1000 bucks, it will fail outright. I wouldn't buy one, and I'm on here every day waiting to see what it is.

It's pretty safe to say that its more than an iPod touch, and less than $1000.
post #64 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The average computer user in 2010 isn't even a computer user. They are Web/App users. They want the goodies without any of the sweat.

This is the reason the Tablet will sell well !
post #65 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirROM View Post

How about the possibility that Apple is not finished with 4.0 nor ready to demonstrate it yet? What if 3.2 has code for the tablet and a couple of new features (that will also filter to the iPhone and Touch), but Apple has something really exciting for 4.0 that they want to wait and demonstrate later (another press opportunity), say just before the Tablet is actually available in stores?

Tablet demonstrated with 3.2, also available now for iPhone and Touch to tide us over
4.0 demoed in later February or early March, available in June for all mobile devices.

Possible, likely? We'll see....

Again, a NEW product with software version 3.2 sounds pretty lame. Even though the iPod touch followed this pattern, we assume that the iPod is much more like the iPhone than the Tablet.
post #66 of 133
I'd like to know how these apps collect their information. It's entirely possible that the software has an incorrect user string or Apple doesn't want to give away the identity of some iPhone 3GS Part Two: The Revenge that's currently in development.

While the timing is suspicious, it doesn't necessarily indicate anything we'll see on Wednesday.

Just wanted to include a plug for this site, too: http://bit.ly/8mxVDi It has all the information you need about this week's Apple event.
post #67 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Again, a NEW product with software version 3.2 sounds pretty lame. Even though the iPod touch followed this pattern, we assume that the iPod is much more like the iPhone than the Tablet.

Good god man, get a grip. A version number doesn't represent what the OS does, only the feature set does. Wait until you see it before you decide a version number sounds lame.

You are the type of person Microsoft labeled Windows 7 for, since internally it identifies itself as 6.1.

I swear this forum is filled with idiots...
post #68 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I have to disagree strongly that Macs are affordable computers.

If Macs arent affordable then how did 3 million afford them in the last 3 months?

You cant say something is or isnt affordable for everyone simply because its not in your price range or not something youd buy. I can afford a great many things that I choose not to buy for various reasons.

Note that the iPhone, which you say is affordable, costs about 3 to 6x more than a great many people pay for a computer in a 2 year time frame. That doesnt seem logical to me.

PS: Im finding that the $30 data fee for a smartphone is becoming psychologically more acceptable. Ive had two conversations in the past couple weeks with non-smartphone owners who both essentially said, thats not bad at all when i mentioned the price of the unlimited data plan.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #69 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Equally, it's very easy for Apple to hide their IPs by proxying them through another provider (or just buying another block of IPs under another name).

it's also easy to geo-locate an IP. i even have a free app that does it on my iphone. and if they buy another block of IP's they will still be in Cupertino or they have to set up a secret lab somewhere else. it's not going to be a big secret since the circuits will still run into the Apple campus and everyone will know it
post #70 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Very true. It's crunch time. Apple has to reel in some of this hype they've spread, and get everyone's hopes down in the last hour, in order to impress Wednesday.

Truly I don't know if its even possible for Apple to please even 50% of the people watching for this announcement, but we'll see.

I think bogus and Apple impresses with far out stuff. Just hope the pricing isn't $1000, perhaps anither bogus rumor. $1000 for a portable Apple App store gaming device, we think not. Perhaps the pricing will also impress. Just give me some voice to text app and allow the playing of all video codecs throw in a few iWork and facial direct camera, price it at $499 with wifi, a little more for 3G, and call it a day. Now that would surprise. Won't happen, then again if it non carrier exclusive, Apple may want to sell a few billion.
post #71 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Have you guys seen this? Exactly how I imagined it.



Found it here.

EDIT:
Full portfolio here. The designer's name is Patrycjucz Brzezinski.

While it's nice to see fantasy mock-ups like this, it's good to remember that they are fantasies and not actually anything we are likely to see soon.

Also, there is a lot more to design than making something look cool. This is a bad design even if it were possible with today's materials (it's currently not). Apple will never make a slider tablet because it's just not a good idea. Neither are docking computers in the sense used here.

Docking mobile computers like the laptop you put in a slot or a fancy dock when you get to work, are 1990's dream machines. In today's wireless world there just isn't any point to them outside of a small niche (business) market.

The tablet will either dock in the traditional iPhone sense, or (hopefully), sync and recharge wirelessly if they have that functionality ready. There will never be a portable Apple computer that slides into some silly slot on your iMac or has a desktop connection accessory, like a laptop station, as is depicted here. It just won't happen. The world has moved on since 1995.
post #72 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Macs aren’t affordable then how did 3 million afford them in the last 3 months?

You can’t say something is or isn’t affordable for everyone simply because it’s not in your price range or not something you’d buy. I can afford a great many things that I choose not to buy for various reasons.

Note that the iPhone, which you say is affordable, costs about 3 to 6x more than a great many people pay for a computer in a 2 year time frame. That doesn’t seem logical to me.

PS: I’m finding that the $30 data fee for a smartphone is becoming psychologically more acceptable. I’ve had two conversations in the past couple weeks with non-smartphone owners who both essentially said, “that’s not bad at all” when i mentioned the price of the unlimited data plan.

Sigh. 3 million. Great. That's superb. It's excellent. I couldn't be happier because my stock has soared as a result of the continued adoption rate.

How many PC's last quarter? I'm just going to guess that its around 70 million. Avg price? And how much advertising did those companies do to drive those sales?

PC's are driven by price. What's wrong with those 70 million, does advertising simply not work on them? Have they not noticed how "cool" and "hip" Macs are?

No, they can't frigging afford them. Obviously there is more to it than this, but the point is, you can't talk about 3 million Macs as if it has some significant impact on market share.

Edit: Can I also point out how obnoxious it is to use phrases like, "I can afford a great many things that I choose not to buy..." Would you actually say that to someone in a conversation?
post #73 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

it's also easy to geo-locate an IP. i even have a free app that does it on my iphone. and if they buy another block of IP's they will still be in Cupertino or they have to set up a secret lab somewhere else. it's not going to be a big secret since the circuits will still run into the Apple campus and everyone will know it

Beside most of the time they locate the device using GPS.
post #74 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

so how does a 3rd party firm track what applications are being downloaded to these devices and what API are they using to ask what kind of device it is?

If apps are being downloaded, aren't they coming from the Apple iTunes store to the Apple campus?

And what, besides serving a web page, lets you determine the type of device that's downloading something.

Also, if there are indeed new business/productivity apps for these devices, where on the net are they going to be downloaded from? For example, if there is multitouch iWork, wouldn't that be preinstalled on the test devices?

And I love how the site that claims to be giving a detailed breakdown of the whole marketing focus of the tablet refuses to release the screen resolution because they feel it's sensitive information. It couldn't be that it's easily verified as wrong if they give the wrong resolution, could it?


they are probably testing the final versions of the apps and they will have advertising in them. if the devices are on wifi then it's trivial to find out where they are coming from since every IP is registered and everyone knows exactly where it is in the world and who it belongs to
post #75 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Sigh. 3 million. Great. That's superb. It's excellent. I couldn't be happier because my stock has soared as a result of the continued adoption rate.

How many PC's last quarter? I'm just going to guess that its around 70 million. Avg price? And how much advertising did those companies do to drive those sales?

PC's are driven by price. What's wrong with those 70 million, does advertising simply not work on them? Have they not noticed how "cool" and "hip" Macs are?

No, they can't frigging afford them. Obviously there is more to it than this, but the point is, you can't talk about 3 million Macs as if it has some significant impact on market share.

Edit: Can I also point out how obnoxious it is to use phrases like, "I can afford a great many things that I choose not to buy..." Would you actually say that to someone in a conversation?


Sure, why not? Also, 70 million from how many vendors combined? Apple ships more computers than most singular vendor, and profits more than many of them combined. As a shareholder, thats what I care about. Who cares if they have 3% of the market
post #76 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Sigh. 3 million. Great. That's superb. It's excellent. I couldn't be happier because my stock has soared as a result of the continued adoption rate.

How many PC's last quarter? I'm just going to guess that its around 70 million. Avg price? And how much advertising did those companies do to drive those sales?

PC's are driven by price. What's wrong with those 70 million, does advertising simply not work on them? Have they not noticed how "cool" and "hip" Macs are?

No, they can't frigging afford them. Obviously there is more to it than this, but the point is, you can't talk about 3 million Macs as if it has some significant impact on market share.

Why are you under the erroneous impression that Apple is trying to sell to every part of the PC market? Apples Macs are priced well for the market they are in. Dell and HP make machines that cost considerably more than other machines they sell, and often have less impressive specs in certain areas than these cheap machines. Can you imagine why?

By your argument any restaurant that doesnt sell $69 burgers is not affordable? That a quality steak house is not affordable and cant be successful if they sell premium Kobe steaks and/or focus on creating an experience for the diners? That simply doesnt make sense. The number of food units they sell in comparison to the entire world has no baring on the product. Affordability is not even an issue. If you can afford a $400 notebook you can afford a $30 steak, but that doesnt mean that you are going to.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #77 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Beside most of the time they locate the device using GPS.


they test the new device over wifi which goes into the physical network at the apple campus. assume Apple is using NAT. at some point it's going to go to the internet and it will have to pass Apple's firewall and core router where it will pick up Apple's public IP for those devices.

admob or some other company that collects the metrics just needs to look at the public IP to see exactly where the traffic is coming from.

even if apple leased another IP range under a different name, the physical circuits still go into the Apple campus unless they have another secret lab somewhere
post #78 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Stop trolling, pmz. I don't bother to read what you write.

Sure you do else you would not bother responding to him. Rather than clutter up the forums with posts such as this, do this -> http://forums.appleinsider.com/profi...?do=ignorelist
post #79 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

Sure, why not? Also, 70 million from how many vendors combined? Apple ships more computers than most singular vendor, and profits more than many of them combined. As a shareholder, thats what I care about. Who cares if they have 3% of the market

I dont get his point at all. Because Apple chooses to make their own OS when Dell, HP et al. cant or wont, means that Apple now has to sell more PCs than the rest of the worlds PC market combined in order to be relevant? That makes no sense.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #80 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The whole test could be to through these kinds of tracking sites off... I would suspect that 4.0 is on the device, but that it will actually run 3.x (sans some of the goodies of 4.x).

Sure. They are running 3.2 is for testing the hardware.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2