or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2

Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2 - Page 3

post #81 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

My guess is that it will be great in multiple ways, but will have infuriating defects, omissions and lockdowns. Just like the iPhone.

But it will sell for a stupid-high price, and there will be lines overnight filled with giddy fanbois for the press to photograph on launch day.

Later, Apple will fix some glaring omissions and lower the price. Just like the iPhone.

Then, over time, they will add basic functionality and the price will still be higher than competitor's tablets, and folks will still buy them, this time crowing about how much it was worth it to spend more money for a basic feature that was intentionally omitted from earlier generations. Just like the iPhone.

except for the few months after launch, the iphone was never more expensive than competing smartphones. it's still cheaper than a lot of it's competition depending on the carrier
post #82 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

they test the new device over wifi which goes into the physical network at the apple campus. assume Apple is using NAT. at some point it's going to go to the internet and it will have to pass Apple's firewall and core router where it will pick up Apple's public IP for those devices.

admob or some other company that collects the metrics just needs to look at the public IP to see exactly where the traffic is coming from.

even if apple leased another IP range under a different name, the physical circuits still go into the Apple campus unless they have another secret lab somewhere

I know that. I was adding that Flurry and others offer developers a choice to determine the location using GPS as well. So even if Apple used some proxy or whatever they can still determine the location using CoreLocation, especially for apps that depends heavily on CoreLocation.
post #83 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t get his point at all. Because Apple chooses to make their own OS when Dell, HP et al. can’t or won’t, means that Apple now has to sell more PCs than the rest of the world’s PC market combined in order to be relevant? That makes no sense.

Did you even read what I wrote?

[Edit] Sorry, I see you wrote "his point". I guess you did read what I wrote, it was I who didn't read well...
post #84 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I have to disagree strongly that Macs are affordable computers.

The MacMini, if the user has quality peripherals, is affordable.
The MacBook only recently hit the $999 price point. It is just barely affordable.
The iMac has just recently come down close to reality and is almost affordable.

Every configuration beyond that is unjustifiable for most of the population. If you need proof the amount of advertising Apple does vs. units sold will tell you all you ever need to know. If people could afford Macs, they'd buy them. Slowly, the adoption rate is increasing, but we're still talking small chunks of market share.

The iPhone itself is $99 which makes it a major player. At $80/mon it carries a higher than average monthly bill for U.S. mobiles, but that trend is changing rapidly. The iPhone is properly price. Perhaps perfectly.

Macs, not so much. I'm still sitting at $1500 iMac, but I know how to get my money's worth from it. The average computer user would and could not.

The average computer user in 2010 isn't even a computer user. They are Web/App users. They want the goodies without any of the sweat. Personally it disgusts me, but its reality.

Affordable is not something that should be based on what you personally have budgeted for a computer. If you have $50 to spend on a computer, there is no such thing as an affordable computer for you personally.

As for the affordability of Mac Pros, those machines are not intended for the general public. They offer far more expansion capacity and horsepower than your average consumer needs.

In regards to the Mini, yes you're right that peripherals are needed to complete the picture but that's about as expensive as your budget can afford. Keyboards and mice are dirt cheap in base form and so too are today's entry-level monitors. Most people wind up burning through their computers before they wear out mice, keyboards and especially monitors. My previous monitor lasted more than 10 years during which time I worked my way through three computers. I did add a Firewire 800 drive to my set-up recently but it cost a little more than $100 and added a terabyte of storage. I did last week splurge on a 24-inch Cinema Display but could just have easily spent a lot less and still had a decent enough monitor. But it's not like I need to replace the display every time I buy a new computer. 10 years from now I'll probably still be using that same monitor. Also, I traded in a Mini to buy the unit I have now and got a surprising amount for it. Low-cost PCs, within a couple of years have pretty much lost their resale value.

Computers are like cars in that there is the cost of making the initial purchase and then there's the long-term picture. Sure you can go out and buy a $300 netbook but where are you a year or two later. Is a MacBook costing three times more to buy really that bad a deal if it lasts at least three times longer, all the while providing superior performance?

Apple is in the business of selling in volume. The new tablet will no doubt be regarded as potentially a device that can be sold in the millions. Consider, for instance, how worried other manufacturers are about this product. At CES the upcoming tablet was the elephant in the room. Apple wasn't even there or had announced anything. Heck, Apple hadn't even sent out invitations to an event to announce anything.
post #85 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

My guess is that it will be great in multiple ways, but will have infuriating defects, omissions and lockdowns. Just like the iPhone.

Tech Crunch is reporting that Steve Jobs has been overheard saying of the Tablet - This will be the most important thing Ive ever done

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/24...ost-important/

If the report of this from multiple independent sources is correct, I suspect it will have fewer defects and omissions than you or I have thought.

If he really said that, those are not words to be taken lightly.

Of all the months of boring rumours, analysts belching and speculation, this is the only one that has made me think I might be interested in what happens on Wednesday.

To those who think it will run an iPhone interface/OS:

post #86 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Sure you do else you would not bother responding to him. Rather than clutter up the forums with posts such as this, do this -> http://forums.appleinsider.com/profi...?do=ignorelist

That isnt necessarily true if you read the responses from people not in your ignore list. Sometimes it seems to much to resist when you assume that people arent here just to start a nonsense argument.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #87 of 133
Quote:

Why are you under the erroneous impression that Apple is trying to sell to every part of the PC market? Apple’s Macs are priced well for the market they are in. Dell and HP make machines that cost considerably more than other machines they sell, and often have less impressive specs in certain areas than these cheap machines. Can you imagine why?

By your argument any restaurant that doesn’t sell $69 burgers is not affordable? That a quality steak house is not affordable and can’t be successful if they sell premium Kobe steaks and/or focus on creating an experience for the diners? That simply doesn’t make sense. The number of food units they sell in comparison to the entire world has no baring on the product. Affordability is not even an issue. If you can afford a $400 notebook you can afford a $30 steak, but that doesn’t mean that you are going to.

I read this 5 times and have no idea what you just said.

By pricing their computers where they do, they make them available to certain percentage of the market and thus profit greatly off that small number of people. You think I don't get that? You think I didn't understand that when I began investing 10 years ago?

How anyone can think that unit sales are not important to Apple is beyond me...they are absolutely important. Its aggravating that Apple fanbois pretend that there is special percentage of people who need to get Online to whom Apple is concerned with pleasing.

It's 2010. No one cares what Apple wants to do. People want ONLINE and they want it cheap. Even professionals are not willing to dole out the same prices for machines that do not a lot more than what they did 5 years ago.

Recall the totally "unnecessary" price drops to the entire Laptop line in 2009? Or is that a distant memory?

Notice the increased adoption rate post price reduction? Best quarters ever? Hmm.

Damn some of you are dense.
post #88 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I know that. I was adding that Flurry and others offer developers a choice to determine the location using GPS as well. So even if Apple used some proxy or whatever they can still determine the location using CoreLocation, especially for apps that depends heavily on CoreLocation.

You have to give permission to use location. Secondly as far as IP, Geo location is concerned, Apple owns data centers and at that level you can do anything you want to set up tunneling to another data center. But in all likelihood if apple wanted to test applications they wouldn't use ones that called home. If the device was super secret they would set up duplicate versions of typical websites and run them on their own network never to show up in anyone's logs. Apple engineers have already thought of anything the people on this forum can come up with off the top of their head.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #89 of 133
It's a bit like spotting a UFO.

We know their out there
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #90 of 133
. . .
post #91 of 133
Quote:

I have to disagree strongly that Macs are affordable computers.

The MacMini, if the user has quality peripherals, is affordable.
The MacBook only recently hit the $999 price point. It is just barely affordable.
The iMac has just recently come down close to reality and is almost affordable.

Every configuration beyond that is unjustifiable for most of the population.

There's a significant difference between unjustifiable and unaffordable. A $150,000 Ferrari is unaffordable. A $2200 top end iCore 7 27" iMac is affordable. Whether you WANT to (justifiable) is a different issue.

At minimum wage, a high school kid flipping burgers can make $2200 (before taxes) in 8 weeks (40 hours) over the summer.

Quote:
The average computer user in 2010 isn't even a computer user. They are Web/App users. They want the goodies without any of the sweat. Personally it disgusts me, but its reality.

If you're sweating to do any work on a computer you're using Linux and a freetard.
post #92 of 133
Quote:

Excuse you, rude bastard.

Ahem!! That would be basterd.

Sorry couldn't resist.
post #93 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You have to give permission to use location. Secondly as far as IP, Geo location is concerned, Apple owns data centers and at that level you can do anything you want to set up tunneling to another data center. But in all likelihood if apple wanted to test applications they wouldn't use ones that called home. If the device was super secret they would set up duplicate versions of typical websites and run them on their own network never to show up in anyone's logs. Apple engineers have already thought of anything the people on this forum can come up with off the top of their head.

You have to give your permission if you want to use an app that depends on CoreLocation. Once you have given your permission to an app then the app will share your location to Flurry or similar services to determine your exact location as well. You only need to give your permission once per app and the app can use the location in anyway it wants. As far as I know the information will be sent out as long as there is an internet connection. I have developed few apps and get few hits from Cupertino on regular basis on my app webpage from time to time. I don't think Apple worries too much about such issues. It's a waste of time and money to do so.
post #94 of 133
Quote:

Heh...I can just imagine some CoreLocation mode that places all the test units at Redmond or Mountain View for some real red herrings.
post #95 of 133
Quote:

You have to give your permission if you want to use an app that depends on CoreLocation. []

Segue I hope the next Macs coem with GPS chips so CoreLocation can work with DashBoard Widgets, Safari (HTML5 Geo Location) and other apps. I find myself grabbing my iPhone even while using my Mac when looking up anything that requires a current location.
post #96 of 133
I actually think this is one of the best hints thus far of what the tablet will be. An analytics company is not going to talk out of its ass to generate some page hits. No one is likely to trust their analytics collection to a company that just makes stuff up.

The interpretation of the data might be wrong but I assess the probability that they have that raw data to be quite high. But for all they know, the 3.2 testing might be unrelated.

On the other hand, it might also mean that the tablet will see sales sooner rather than later and the app approval process for the tablet is already in full swing.
post #97 of 133
Quote:

Segue I hope the next Macs coem with GPS chips so CoreLocation can work with DashBoard Widgets, Safari (HTML5 Geo Location) and other apps. I find myself grabbing my iPhone even while using my Mac when looking up anything that requires a current location.

Notebooks, maybe since they are out and about, but unlikely for desktops since they are often indoors and may not receive the GPS signal very well. Although I am surprised how well the iPhone GPS works indoors.

post #98 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Heh...I can just imagine some CoreLocation mode that places all the test units at Redmond or Mountain View for some real red herrings.

Testing requires the units and OS to be unaltered from the intended final release. Otherwise, why would you want to test it?!
post #99 of 133
Quote:

Testing requires the units and OS to be unaltered from the intended final release. Otherwise, why would you want to test it?!

That was a joke.
post #100 of 133
Quote:

Snow Leopard have CoreLocation but no GPS. It works just like the iPod Touch using your WiFi. However, it won't work on places were Skyhook has no data. I hope we see GPS in MB/MBP too.
post #101 of 133
Quote:

That was a joke.

I know. I thought I should answer it before someone take it seriously
post #102 of 133
Quote:

That was a joke.

Actually it is not that far fetched as the simulator does that exact thing but sets the location to Apple's front door. I can't remember the actual street name that is referred to but it is at the very beginning of Infinite Loop. I'd have to pull up my dev app to check it but someone else probably can verify it.

post #103 of 133
Quote:

On the other hand, it might also mean that the tablet will see sales sooner rather than later and the app approval process for the tablet is already in full swing.

I think it wont be ready right away. That there is a demo along with a release of Tablet OS SDK so that 3rd-party apps designed for the device will be ready upon release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Notebooks, maybe since they are out and about, but unlikely for desktops since they are often indoors and may not receive the GPS signal very well. Although I am surprised how well the iPhone GPS works indoors.

Yes, I meant for notebooks, not Macs. Id hope that when they go that route theyll add Find My Mac in MobileMe, just in case its stolen. That has seemed to work out with for iPhone OS-based devices. I wonder if other iPods could get the GPS chip with setup through the iTunes app.

Quote:

Snow Leopard have CoreLocation but no GPS. It works just like the iPod Touch using your WiFi. However, it won't work on places were Skyhook has no data. I hope we see GPS in MB/MBP too.

They use it for the time zone setting in SL. I just wish they would have extended it even farther, even to the point of taking the IP address location, making that into a general location via a zip code and applying it to HTML5 Geo Location, weather widget, theater info, etc. I cant be bothered with spending 10 seconds making the corrections manually. \
post #104 of 133
Quote:

I didn't read anything about new unpublished app in the article. What Flurry is saying here is that their tracking logs are showing the tablet running iPhone OS 3.2 and using already existing App Store apps. They also provided a category breakdown of the apps used by the tablet as shown in their logs.

no, but they do try to draw conclusions based on the apps they did track

Quote:
Studying category trends provides insight into the kind of user Apple is targeting and how it expects the device to be used.

and then later in the report

Quote:
The tablet device clearly targets consumers. The mix of applications observed comprises mainly of media and entertainment consumption as opposed to enterprise, productivity and computing.

of course the tablet will offer games and entertainment, but to conclude that productivity and computing aren't also targets is drawing conclusions from data they don't have as they wouldn't have any data from testing with unreleased apps. For example, the rumored iWork touch wouldn't show up in their data.

And it's with new and revised applications that the tablet becomes a bit more than just a larger iPod touch. Is it strictly a new home entertainment device or is it more than that? Certainly it can be used to read books, but can it also be used to do homework? Is it something students can take to class to take notes? Doing homework, taking notes in class, working on a presentation during a flight, etc. Things people use netbooks for today. These potential applications of a tablet aren't going to show up in the data Flurry collects, but they are drawing conclusions that the tablet won't target these kinds of things.
post #105 of 133
Quote:

Damn some of you are dense.

Oh, I don't know. From reading your rants thus far in this thread, it is obvious to me that when it comes to finance and investing and what actually matters for companies, the attribute applies just as well to you.
post #106 of 133
Btw, not sure if it has been brought up thus far: (i) Couldn't this just be folks at Apple testing out some game/media apps for SJ's presentation? After all, it's not like he's going to be showing us spreadsheet or invoicing or tax apps; (ii) The fact that they are testing on 3.2 says nothing at all -- after all, the final product is not due for another 3-6 months; (iii) Some of it would just be Apple throwing out decoys to throw people off-track or reveal themselves (like these guys did).
post #107 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Sure. But I can hardly imagine the software like that might have been admitted to such a device.

How else would you test whether existing apps work on the new device?
It's vitally important that the day the tablet becomes available that a large number of apps run on it. Apple will not release a tablet and tell everyone to wait 2 months for App Store developers to modify their offerings to be compatible.
post #108 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple's invite says "new creation" so I wouldn't think it's just a big iPod. There's gonna be a twist, but heck if I know what.

The time has come to roll out the iVat of Flavor-aid. Gather around children, it will be beautiful.
Gather around everybody!
Gather around everybody!
post #109 of 133
There will be a _____________ announced Wednesday and it will include a _____________ and ______________ which none of you expect (well, maybe one guessed right) ... and it will also offer ______________ and ______________ but the ____________ will surprise everyone. I'm just saying ...
post #110 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, I don't know. From reading your rants thus far in this thread, it is obvious to me that when it comes to finance and investing and what actually matters for companies, the attribute applies just as well to you.

im not the one refusing to acknowledge that apple lowering their prices in 2009 had a significant impact on sales.
post #111 of 133
Quote:

im not the one refusing to acknowledge that apple lowering their prices in 2009 had a significant impact on sales.

Obvious Guy says: its common knowledge that lowering prices increases sales potential. You implied that the sales werent increasing prior to the price drop despite almost constant, continued record YoY quarters in unit, revenue and profit.
post #112 of 133
Quote:

Their terms of service & condition prevent them from releasing the name of the apps that uses their services. It is up to the developer to disclose if their app uses tracking and analytical tools.

Exactly. All of my seven games has the FlurryAPI.h code added when they were for sale. It's a simply 25 line piece of code that allows developers to gather any number of stats from an app in use, and even stores the info until a connection back can be established. This includes hardware type, OS, etc. For example, in Cloud Girls, I collected the following stats ...

Code:

[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"PLAYED_JENNA_EASY"]; // played with 10 lives - GameNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"PLAYED_ANYA_NORMAL"]; // played with 8 lives - GameNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"PLAYED_MARIBEL_ADVANCED"]; // played with 6 lives - GameNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"PLAYED_KEIKO_DIFFICULT"]; // played with 4 lives - GameNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"PLAYED_BJORK_INSANE"]; // played with 2 lives - GameNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"PAUSED_GAMEPLAY"]; // paused the game during gameplay - GameNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"SUBMITTED_SCORE"]; // submitted a score - GameOverNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"REVIEWED_GLOBAL_HIGH_SCORES"]; // looked at global high score screen - HiScoresNode.m
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"REVIEWED_INSTRUCTIONS"]; // read the instructions - MenuNode.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"CRACKED_VERSION"]; // ran a cracked IPA -- bad person - CloudGirlsAppDelegate.mm
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"CLICKED_CTG_APP_LINK_BB"]; // clicked link to Bug Bounce - InstructionNode.m
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"CLICKED_CTG_APP_LINK_GM"]; // clicked link to Garden Marbles - InstructionNode.m
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"CLICKED_CTG_APP_LINK_DD"]; // clicked link to Dessert Dilemma - InstructionNode.m
[FlurryAPI logEvent:@"CLICKED_CTG_APP_LINK_DW"]; // clicked link to Dead Words - InstructionNode.m

I knew what difficulty level people played, whether you paused the game during gameplay, whether or not you submitted a high score, read the instruction, tried to run a pirated version, and if you clicked through to buy my other games. But I could have easily also added things like device type, OS, how long you'd played, etc.

I'd have to review my contract notes with Flurry but I always had in my app description on the store that I used Flurry. I don't know if everyone does.

Flurry's reporting about device OS, apps used etc is certainly possible and easy to do. And if there's a new device being used and the apps being used have Flurry in them, then this is info, at a very minimum, is what I'd expect to see. I have no reason to doubt the stats, just why they would bother releasing the info.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #113 of 133
later post claimed it was 800x900
post #114 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

later post claimed it was 800x900

that was from a different source, not from flurry, and said

Quote:
No resolution info? aww - our weblogs show a bunch of 800x600 reporting no OS info, 1280 stuff showing wireless ip and no OS.www.lookbookhd.com is a next gen digitalmedia magazine so we know they are looking but we cannot tell what device.

I would hope 1280 is correct, so it can show 720p HD content at full resolution - something like 1280x720 or 1280x800.
post #115 of 133
No, guys, Apple isn't gonna test all 100K apps sitting now in the App Store. No way.

They might have been testing their own applications plus a fistful of those, which they planned to show on 27th.
It's guaranteed, selected apps aren't disclosing anything sensitive to third parties.

I can see your excitement while looking forward to new product, but spotted iPhone OS means testing iPhone at best.

Just if you forgot or never knew it, original iPhone has been perfectly launched without App Store and Cheetah has had minimum of available native applications on its day one. Nothing much.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #116 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

There will be a _____________ announced Wednesday and it will include a _____________ and ______________ which none of you expect (well, maybe one guessed right) ... and it will also offer ______________ and ______________ but the ____________ will surprise everyone. I'm just saying ...

And the fact that it doesn't have ______________, ______________, and _______________ will cause the usual suspects to complain loudly.
post #117 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

+10

Getting so tired of the same old speculation. Wednesday can't get here soon enough.
post #118 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

And the fact that it doesn't have ______________, ______________, and _______________ will cause the usual suspects to complain loudly.

And despite the fact that it doesn't have ______________, ______________, and _______________ will cause the usual suspects to defend it loudly.
post #119 of 133
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #120 of 133
Quote:

I actually think this is one of the best hints thus far of what the tablet will be. An analytics company is not going to talk out of its ass to generate some page hits. No one is likely to trust their analytics collection to a company that just makes stuff up.

The interpretation of the data might be wrong but I assess the probability that they have that raw data to be quite high. But for all they know, the 3.2 testing might be unrelated.

Agreed, I would also assume that if OS 4.0 is a big show stopper in some way, but not important enough to be a sent to "outside" developer's to adapt their aps for the tablet then it wouldn't have been put out there for "anyone" to see.

If we were talking about radically new features, then there would be no way devs could have aps ready for the tablet by now. They had relatively small changes to make to their software but will be able to integrate new features of 4 later without the need to worry about a new feature for the demo. Apple just wants to say, "look we have games". Apple can take care of the new touch features with their own software.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2