or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Steve Jobs: Apple tablet "the most importing thing I've ever done"

Steve Jobs: Apple tablet "the most importing thing I've ever done" - Page 4

post #121 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

Still, unless there is an unexpected paradigm shift, I'm not going to be on the market for one. It would be great if there was more to it than just the expected larger iphone, e-reader, hand recognition stuff. We'll see.

If it's the most important thing he's ever done then it has to be a paradigm shift.

A touch tablet running OS X and OS X apps but a custom UI is the pinnacle of all Apple's development to date IMO.

Touch is the most natural of interactions between people and machines. The iphone is like second nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVm1qyUuXI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR16OO38kAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVt2ZcrWUY

Mac OS X is the ultimate in OS development - strict unix compliance with a simple UI and enough flexibility to run whatever software you like.

I can see reasons for going with ARM + Tegra though. I have a funny feeling that multi-core ARM will be faster and more efficient than Atom and cheaper too. Initial benchmarking indicates this:

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...leID=222200621

dual 500MHz ARM no GPU keeps up well with a 1.6GHz Atom. There's no reason why Apple couldn't have dual 1GHz or 2GHz processors alongside Tegra and 2GB RAM. It does cut out legacy app support but it would be faster than netbooks and possibly around the same price.

As long as there are enough substantial apps to make it worthwhile buying, it could be a great platform. As you say though, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. The App Store apps presently available are not good enough and published content isn't enough as you can get it on the iphone (Stanza is a superb app). Movies are best viewed on a bigger than 10" screen.

Even if it's not the desktop Mac OS we know, a desktop-like experience will have to be on offer.
post #122 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

can't live up to the hype how?

Macintosh transformed the computing industry. 26 years later all computers basically look like the original Macintosh (from a UI perspective).

Hm... to me, computers nowadays look more like Amiga than original Mac. Amiga was released a year after original Mac, but I would expect it was already well in development when Mac was released and thus wasn't influenced by Mac.

Amiga had qualities which are part of pretty much every system/platform nowadays - pre-emptive multitasking OS, "high end" colour graphics and stereo sound with dedicated graphics and audio chips - pretty much a concept of a modern personal computer.

Quote:
iPhone transformed the cell phone industry. 2 1/2 years later "innovation' in the cell phone industry consists of releasing a phone that superficially looks like an iPhone. The android, the pre, etc.

I don't think that Pre really looks much like iPhone. Additionaly, having Tungsten, Treo and now iPhone, I don't see iPhone that much revolutionary - it did significantly improve on Palm Pilot design, but I don't think it has reinvented it.
post #123 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I'm about to faint! Can't hold it any longer!

If Apple ends up unveiling nothing new (no tablet), or brings a dud (another Apple TV) I'll be so disappointed, I could lose all meaning in life.

I recently gave away my MacBook, and have been holding out waiting for this. It better be worth the wait! I'll probably get a MacBook Air if this doesn't turn out to be beyond divine.
Good thing it wont come until April, I'll be relocating before then, and wont be able to buy it.

Apple TV isn't a dud, it's just been severely neglected. If Apple brings games, web browsing (with flash), iChat, & app store to Apple TV they'd have a HUGE success on their hands.

I suspect this will actually eventually come to Apple TV as evidenced by subtle things like adding a category for Internet on the Apple TV instead of putting YouTube & Radio with Podcasts under something like a Streamed category or the likes. This is further supported by some of their mock ups on patents regarding an AppleTV like device and a patent for a Wii like remote for games.
post #124 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Hm... to me, computers nowadays look more like Amiga than original Mac. Amiga was released a year after original Mac, but I would expect it was already well in development when Mac was released and thus wasn't influenced by Mac.

Amiga had qualities which are part of pretty much every system/platform nowadays - pre-emptive multitasking OS, "high end" colour graphics and stereo sound with dedicated graphics and audio chips - pretty much a concept of a modern personal computer.

I don't think that Pre really looks much like iPhone. Additionaly, having Tungsten, Treo and now iPhone, I don't see iPhone that much revolutionary - it did significantly improve on Palm Pilot design, but I don't think it has reinvented it.

I owned three Amigas, a 500, a 2000, and a 3000. Didn't realize at the time that not everybody was using a Windows environment in the late 1980s. Great machine at the time.

Of course, the reason Amigas don't get much credit is that the computer failed to survive. That's why I switched to Mac a few years later.

When you think about it, Jobs' success has been with packaging together software and hardware in an easy-to-use form. The bits and pieces are usually there for anyone to take advantage of but no company brings it all together the way Apple does.
post #125 of 148
Ouch - I've duplicated my previous post.

Sorted.
post #126 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Yes but if this thing becomes big then bill gates was right. He said in like 2001 that tablet computers will be big.

If Apple's device causes tablets to be a big hit, then while technically Gates was right, it won't be because anything he or his company did.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #127 of 148
Just read a story at http://www.edn.com/blog/1470000147/p...2&rid=15324834

Just made me wonder if this sort of technology might be included in the new tablet device, or whether it might be too soon. It brings up interesting possibilities though. Can you imagine a cool, wireless, small form-factor computing device such as a tablet, which wasn't tied to AC, or any large bulky battery pack, and could be used out in the field, only requiring light to operate it?

Interesting stuff...
post #128 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I owned three Amigas, a 500, a 2000, and a 3000. Didn't realize at the time that not everybody was using a Windows environment in the late 1980s. Great machine at the time.

Of course, the reason Amigas don't get much credit is that the computer failed to survive. That's why I switched to Mac a few years later.

When you think about it, Jobs' success has been with packaging together software and hardware in an easy-to-use form. The bits and pieces are usually there for anyone to take advantage of but no company brings it all together the way Apple does.

Yes - pity Amiga project ended up with Commodore, otherwise who knows? Maybe we'd have another solid player today.

I had only Amiga 500, but had it from '88 until '94. Good old days!
post #129 of 148
His giant ego aside... Have you ever heard him (or him quoted) to say "I've done"? It's always "Apple" or "our team"
post #130 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekElectro View Post

Just made me wonder if this sort of technology might be included in the new tablet device, or whether it might be too soon. It brings up interesting possibilities though. Can you imagine a cool, wireless, small form-factor computing device such as a tablet, which wasn't tied to AC, or any large bulky battery pack, and could be used out in the field, only requiring light to operate it?

Interesting stuff...

That actually would be a killer feature... even if it's not fully self-sustainable indoors, it could work with charger like hybrid engines work, adding more mileage per charge. I'd definitely like to see something like that.
post #131 of 148
Quote:

Well, we did that with Jesus some time ago, so nothing new there

Thanks man, I needed that.. whew
post #132 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

what was so horrible about the cube. Seems to be exactly what i need right now. Apple makes the Mac Mini, and the Mac Mega as a seperate CPU why not a mid-grade model?

...just suggest the x-Mac??? Put it away again before the loonies notice...

I agree about the Mini - I have one and love it, and a Cube (for the collection) - but I would never have paid list price for it (or even close). The Mini is a MacBook for half the price or so, the cube was an iBook for twice the price.
post #133 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

... iBook ...

I still like the name iBook. Sigh.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #134 of 148
This will be the most important thing Ive ever done.

The great thing is that iSteve is never hyperbolic. When he says something, it is never exaggerated. I believe every word he says. I trust him completely.
post #135 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

PDF would work but when your content goes beyond images and words then it falters horribly...

Perhaps Apple will introduce a version of Pages, or some new application, that is specifically designed to take advantage of the tablet's capabilities and permit conversion of existing works also.

I agree, printing to PDF for example, does not provide a document that takes advantage of the facilities that this new device will surely provide.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #136 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekElectro View Post

Interesting stuff...

Quote:

That actually would be a killer feature... even if it's not fully self-sustainable indoors, it could work with charger like hybrid engines work, adding more mileage per charge. I'd definitely like to see something like that.

...or if they could add a kinetic energy recovery system to it. Anything like that would reduce the carbon footprint by capturing energy from alternative energy sources. Not that I REALLY care about such things, but Apple does, plus it would be nice to not be completely tethered to a wall outlet or batteries that deplete so quickly.
post #137 of 148
I am very excited to see what they reveal tomorrow, not just the so called tablet, but everything.

One thing is guaranteed - post announcement, this and every blog- tech- media site will be filled with people bashing it loudly and claiming they aren't impessed and disappointed. Saying, "this is cool and all but it doesn't have a flux-capicitor or a spacely sprocket and without those they refuse to buy one."

Oh well for them they can wait 10 months and HP or Dell or someone else will have their own "killer" version out.

Peace.
post #138 of 148
Quote:

The Amiga was released in 1985--one year after the release of the Macintosh, but two years after the release of the Lisa. Of course, work on the Amiga began before the Mac reached market. Development of the Amiga began in 1982. This does mean that the Mac did not inform the Amiga GUI. In the late 1970's and early 1980's, the GUI was cutting edge computer science. The concept was not a secret. Most people don't know that Microsoft Windows began development in 1981. However, it was an abject failure until Apple licensed its code to Microsoft in a deal to port Microsoft BASIC to the Mac. With the Apple code, Microsoft was able to release Windows 1.0 in 1985.

Give Amiga credit for being able to get out a GUI one year faster than Microsoft and without Apple's help. However, you would have to be blind to insist that it was not influenced by the Mac.

Another example of the Mac's influence. In 1984, IBM was working on TopView, its own text-based GUI. However, it was getting nowhere. None of the engineers working on the project had seen a Macintosh. One day, one of the engineers brought a Macintosh to work to show his colleagues how the GUI worked. IBM used no Apple code. By August 1984, their hands-on experience with the Macintosh allowed them to develop TopView to a point where IBM felt that it could be released. However, TopView was not ready when it went on sale.
post #139 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Or maybe The Devil Does Pravda.

Perfect.
post #140 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

What's the country?

Prefer not to say directly. They've sent some bloggers to jail and what not. I have mentioned where I am previously in other threads. South East Asia. Just Google "Allah issue" \ - local newspapers vs the Internet will be a battle on this one. It's not all doom and gloom, luckily. Most people just want to get on with life and their Facebooking.
post #141 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I am very excited to see what they reveal tomorrow, not just the so called tablet, but everything.

One thing is guaranteed - post announcement, this and every blog- tech- media site will be filled with people bashing it loudly and claiming they aren't impessed and disappointed. Saying, "this is cool and all but it doesn't have a flux-capicitor or a spacely sprocket and without those they refuse to buy one."

Oh well for them they can wait 10 months and HP or Dell or someone else will have their own "killer" version out.

Peace.

Tech blogs can kiss my *** . I stopped reading Engadget almost 2 years ago now, because it was just pages and pages and pages of all sorts of garbage gizmos and crapdgets. And on and on with the frickin' netbooks that all look the same and are tiny and useless (for me anyways).
post #142 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSabev View Post

Hello,
This is my first post. Got so excited about the tablet and registered here.
While browsing I found this . So what do you think - is this a leak or a fake ?
Doesn't look very good in my opinion ...

I think it is just a mockup, but does hint at possible final shipping product.

Very interesting how they said towards the end, "From A to B to iPad".
post #143 of 148
BTW for all intents and purposes we know some of the details thanks to McGraw spilling the beans on a MAJOR BUSINESS CHANNEL news segment. Nice. What a douche.

No way this is a controlled leak. This video clip is going to be pulled hard and fast from the airwaves.
post #144 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

BTW for all intents and purposes we know some of the details thanks to McGraw spilling the beans on a MAJOR BUSINESS CHANNEL news segment. Nice. What a douche.

No way this is a controlled leak. This video clip is going to be pulled hard and fast from the airwaves.

Someone in the other thread said something about them getting permission from Apple to announce stuff like this ahead of time. I'm not sure about that one though.

Anyways, I want all of you to consider something. What did Tim say during the financial report the other day?

".........Joy and Surprise.."

Keep those thoughts in your head for tomorrows keynote everyone.

Joy and Surprise. Joy and Surprise!!!
post #145 of 148
Jobs' stellar record for judging the needs and desires of the consumer market have allowed....

Some serious booty smooching and so far from the truth. When they took away FireWire from their notebooks was that what we wanted? When they took away DVI/VGA and replaced it with display port did we want that? When they chipped their docks and cables, so we have to repurchase acessories again for way more money did we want that? Did we want to pay 30 cents a song to free our iTunes media collections from DRM and then have to pay 1.29 for most songs? Look at the pricing of video and music on iTunes, it's priced so high that it's Actually cheaper to buy the DVD on sale via Amazon in some cases. Did we want that? Did we also want to be forced to upgrade our software and hardware just to continue to use iPods we already owned- referring to being forced to upgrade to iTunes 9 by way of not being allowed to purchase movies/tv shows unless you upgraded to iTunes 9 which is just horrid? Did we not want a stylus? Did we want 3 releases of the iPhone to just get the basics of what smartphones should and have been. Apple forces you to constantly pay to play, even if your hardware can support it. I could go on and on. Steve Jobs is a genious. He figured out how to get us to fork over our hard earned cash for half baked and piecemeal products. He always finds a way for us to keep paying through the nose gladly for their stuff. His favorite qoute is "a sucker is born everyday". Kind of the slogan for apple's business strategy isn't it. With the new tablet you can kiss affordable books goodbye. Before u hand your cash over to apple think things through, cause once you cross that line you ain't never crossing back.
post #146 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLad View Post

Jobs' stellar record for judging the needs and desires of the consumer market have allowed....

Some serious booty smooching and so far from the truth. When they took away FireWire from their notebooks was that what we wanted? When they took away DVI/VGA and replaced it with display port did we want that? When they chipped their docks and cables, so we have to repurchase acessories again for way more money did we want that? Did we want to pay 30 cents a song to free our iTunes media collections from DRM and then have to pay 1.29 for most songs? Look at the pricing of video and music on iTunes, it's priced so high that it's Actually cheaper to buy the DVD on sale via Amazon in some cases. Did we want that? Did we also want to be forced to upgrade our software and hardware just to continue to use iPods we already owned- referring to being forced to upgrade to iTunes 9 by way of not being allowed to purchase movies/tv shows unless you upgraded to iTunes 9 which is just horrid? Did we not want a stylus? Did we want 3 releases of the iPhone to just get the basics of what smartphones should and have been. Apple forces you to constantly pay to play, even if your hardware can support it. I could go on and on. Steve Jobs is a genious. He figured out how to get us to fork over our hard earned cash for half baked and piecemeal products. He always finds a way for us to keep paying through the nose gladly for their stuff. His favorite qoute is "a sucker is born everyday". Kind of the slogan for apple's business strategy isn't it. With the new tablet you can kiss affordable books goodbye. Before u hand your cash over to apple think things through, cause once you cross that line you ain't never crossing back.

Meh for phones anyway there's plenty of garbage smartphones out there in the same price range as the iPhone 3G and now iPhone 3GS.

What's wrong with iTunes 9? It's nicer, I like it.

Nobody's stopping you from buying DVDs from Amazon, shopping at Wallmart, using a Dell, and shopping at 2nd-hand bookstores.
post #147 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Someone in the other thread said something about them getting permission from Apple to announce stuff like this ahead of time. I'm not sure about that one though.

Anyways, I want all of you to consider something. What did Tim say during the financial report the other day?

".........Joy and Surprise.."

Keep those thoughts in your head for tomorrows keynote everyone.

Joy and Surprise. Joy and Surprise!!!

right on brother
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #148 of 148
Only now can we see how true is what Steve says. Typography was indeed his vocation back in school, and now he is about to take his name right next to that of J.Gutenberg.
What is even better than to see school dreams coming true? Oh, we can now see what Steve means.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Steve Jobs: Apple tablet "the most importing thing I've ever done"
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Steve Jobs: Apple tablet "the most importing thing I've ever done"