or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day'

Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day' - Page 5

post #161 of 207
Smaller room = higher RDF saturation = better control of the ensuing media frenzy that will be the tablet introduction
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #162 of 207
http://www.maclife.com/article/news/...ady_exist_ipad
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
post #163 of 207
Saw the interview on cnbc

In an interview with CNBC, McGraw-Hill's CEO confirms that their textbooks will be on the Apple Tablet and it will be an iPhone OS based machine. When asked about their textbooks being on the Apple tablet, Terry MrGraw responds (2m 50s):

"Yeah, Very exciting. Yes, they'll make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite a while. And the Tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system and so it will be transferable. So what you are going to be able to do now is we have a consortium of e-books. We have 95% of our materials in e-book format. So now with the tablet you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is just going to be terrific."

post #164 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

Saw the interview on cnbc

In an interview with CNBC, McGraw-Hill's CEO confirms that their textbooks will be on the Apple Tablet and it will be an iPhone OS based machine. When asked about their textbooks being on the Apple tablet, Terry MrGraw responds (2m 50s):

"Yeah, Very exciting. Yes, they'll make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite a while. And the Tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system and so it will be transferable. So what you are going to be able to do now is we have a consortium of e-books. We have 95% of our materials in e-book format. So now with the tablet you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is just going to be terrific."

[CENTER]Nice... and probably true.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #165 of 207
From: http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-changes...ndustry_346777

In a statement released last night, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said, The new products we are planning to release this year are very strong, starting this week with a major new product that were really excited about.

Notice "new" products. Is he speaking merely of "new imacs" or actual new products as in plural.
post #166 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Report Them for what... Posting something with which you disagree, or using typographical justification that you don't like? LOL!

Maybe you should be reported for constantly posting irrelevant items completely 'off-topic', harassment, being rude, being hostile, name-calling, disrupting topic-flow, etc.

Let's just hope that Apple's 'New Creation' is more amiable/friendly than many of our forum members.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]I find your 'centered' posting style a bit irritating too. But each to his own.....[/RIGHT]
post #167 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

you'd rather pay $0.99 for something not to own it. When you could own it for the same amount? Can you elaborate on that?

I have a similar viewpoint when it comes to owning vs. renting on iTunes. I purchase a lot of tv shows on DVD, but very very few on iTunes because of the DRM. I like having the hardcopy as well as being able to lend a season to a friend once in a while. The day (if ever) the DRM is dropped from the videos available on iTunes, then I'll start purchasing from the iTunes Store. I did the same thing after DRM was dropped from all the music. I stopped buying CDs and went to iTunes.

The main point is, if Apple can get a subscription or rental plan for TV shows, I will drop my Comcast TV service right away and go buy a couple AppleTVs. I don't expect the same freedom with rentals as I do with my purchases, so I tend to care less about the DRM in these situations.
post #168 of 207
Steve Jobs is going to be pissed with the McGraw-Hill CEO...He let the cat of the bag on live television! I couldn't believe my ears. So the iphone 4.0 software is what this thing will be running.
post #169 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundo View Post

I have a similar viewpoint when it comes to owning vs. renting on iTunes. I purchase a lot of tv shows on DVD, but very very few on iTunes because of the DRM. I like having the hardcopy as well as being able to lend a season to a friend once in a while. The day (if ever) the DRM is dropped from the videos available on iTunes, then I'll start purchasing from the iTunes Store. I did the same thing after DRM was dropped from all the music. I stopped buying CDs and went to iTunes.

The main point is, if Apple can get a subscription or rental plan for TV shows, I will drop my Comcast TV service right away and go buy a couple AppleTVs. I don't expect the same freedom with rentals as I do with my purchases, so I tend to care less about the DRM in these situations.

DRM is not hard to remove. http://www.ffmpegx.com/
post #170 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

[RIGHT]I find your 'centered' posting style a bit irritating too. But each to his own.....[/RIGHT]

[CENTER]Agreed... "to each their own"

(though it really is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things)

I (typically) find your post enjoyable and informative, so what's your take on Apple's 'Newest Creation' and its possible impact on printed media?[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #171 of 207
Quote:

Hmm, I shall have to give that a try then. Thanks.
post #172 of 207
Quote:

Steve Jobs is going to be pissed with the McGraw-Hill CEO...He let the cat of the bag on live television! I couldn't believe my ears. So the iphone 4.0 software is what this thing will be running.

[CENTER]...or more like Apple Mobile OS 4.0

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #173 of 207
Quote:

[CENTER]...or more like Apple Mobile OS 4.0

[/CENTER]

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?play=1&video=1396376379

Video of the McGraw-Hill CEO. says it is iphone based.
post #174 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundo View Post

Hmm, I shall have to give that a try then. Thanks.

no problem, and you find a better way let me know
post #175 of 207
Quote:

You're claiming that Ffmegx can remove FairPlay DRM from Apple's iTS videos? If so, please calrify because I can neither get it to work to find info explaining how to do it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #176 of 207
I don't know if this was posted somewhere else?

http://gizmodo.com/5457588/mcgraw+hi...phone+style-os
post #177 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I cant say Im surprised, per say, but on the surface they do appear to be making a mistake. I dont think they get that much per user through a cable company.

I think you mean "per se".
post #178 of 207
Quote:

You're claiming that Ffmegx can remove FairPlay DRM from Apple's iTS videos? If so, please calrify because I can neither get it to work to find info explaining how to do it.

You were right, I thought wrong.

I'll do some quick searching...............

tunebite now can convert itunes videos m4v to mp4 and m4v to wmv.

So can SoundTaxi Pro+VideoRip
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
post #179 of 207
Quote:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?play=1&video=1396376379

Video of the McGraw-Hill CEO. says it is iphone based.

[CENTER]Right there at the 2:55 mark[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #180 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by c64 View Post

I don't know if this was posted somewhere else?

http://gizmodo.com/5457588/mcgraw+hi...phone+style-os

yeah, post #175
post #181 of 207
Quote:

Didn't even know this was possible. Thank you. My archos just got a little more useful.
post #182 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Didn't even know this was possible. Thank you. My archos just got a little more useful.

I've been known to be able to find ANYTHING on the intronet.

post #183 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

the idea that there are millions that hate Apples's "closed" App store, and that this would put them off buying a device that uses it is primarily a fantasy. People gripe a lot about it, but it hasn't affected sales yet.

Please share your study with us. I'm sure it would be insightful.
post #184 of 207
I need the cool new commercials to tell me why I need the cool new tablet. Meanwhile, I'll float down to the cafeteria on my chase lounge chair. I hope the tablet floats, too, because my hands are not used to doing work anymore.
post #185 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll View Post

The iPhone spell checker isn't infallible, nor is my proreading.

Quote:

Have you tried that app? I have to wonder if the DRM isn't cracked publically and in a free app that it's likely a scam. There waere quite a few of these sites back on the iTMS.
post #186 of 207
If Wednesday is a big, positive day for Verizon, perhaps it's because on the day before, the company has announced 13,000 employees will be laid off. Are Verizon's recent attack ads really the company's death throes?
post #187 of 207
Quote:

[CENTER]
I (typically) find your post enjoyable and informative, so what's your take on Apple's 'Newest Creation' and its possible impact on printed media?[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]Thanks.

I (honestly) do not have a view.
[/RIGHT]
post #188 of 207
I haven't seen any claims that anyone has found any filing with the FCC for an Apple device on a CDMA/EVDO type network. Without that, how likely would it be for them to have something available to sell on Vz tomorrow??

never mind, seems like they aren't saying they'll sell it tomorrow. ignore.
post #189 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrboro View Post

I haven't seen any claims that anyone has found any filing with the FCC for an Apple device on a CDMA/EVDO type network. Without that, how likely would it be for them to have something available to sell on Vz tomorrow??

I don't think anyone expects any new carriers or hardware to be available tomorrow, just announced. The FCC will hold off releasing data until the company is ready (or likely until it's released for sale), with some aspects being allowed to be held indefinitely for reasons of confidentiality.
post #190 of 207
Quote:

[CENTER]Exactly![/CENTER]

That center aligned text is very annoying. Mods, please talk to him.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #191 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Seconded. Nothing but an attempt to say "look at me" without ever adding anything relevant to the conversation.
post #192 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I want all you people who do nothing but complain about AT&T to leave ASAP - please. You're slowing down my AT&T network!!

That's the best part about Verizon getting the iPhone - all the complainers can go screw w/ Verizons network and my AT&T phone will only get faster while all the Verizon 3G phones will get nothing but slower

(I had AT&T before the iPhone and have had the best experience w/ them over Sprint and Verizon, had each of them for 3 years)

My own experience pretty much matches yours. I have not had anything to complain about AT&T when I moved over for the iPhone. Verizon and Sprint, on the other hand.....
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #193 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll View Post

I'm sure they did. Perhaps this was sent from their "Elitist iPhone"? You know the one that sometimes autocorrects even when you don't want it to?
post #194 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

If Wednesday is a big, positive day for Verizon, perhaps it's because on the day before, the company has announced 13,000 employees will be laid off. Are Verizon's recent attack ads really the company's death throes?

But look how much it improved their bottom line!
post #195 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

At least now we know why the Verizon map was all red in the anti AT&T ad!

Perhaps having coverage where there are no people wasn't such a good idea after all.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #196 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Having him on ignore has worked nicely except you all keep quoting it.
post #197 of 207
Quote:

Seriously, whats the benefit of kicking Schrödinger's cat.

Sol I have to give you triple bonus points for working Schrödinger's cat into a conversation, especially before noon!
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #198 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Having him on ignore has worked nicely except you all keep quoting it.

Yeah, it's a tough one to get 100% compliance but it sure would do the trick.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #199 of 207
My view is that there is no way this product can launch without some kinks and improvments that can come later.

I mean, look at the original iphone launch and compare that to the iphone of today. It's going to be the same for the tablet launch. Version 2 will probably be even more awesome with new features and stuff that we will all say that should have been there in the first place.

And by then, Jobs will have forced the media companies to come out with all the deals and media content at the prices/packages that he wanted at the tablet debut in the first place.

It's still going to be an awesome launch though. Too bad I can't be there live to see it.
post #200 of 207
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day'