or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

post #1 of 235
http://gizmodo.com/5457588/mcgraw+hi...phone+style-os
post #2 of 235
Yababadabadoo!

The CEO, no less. Bet Apple gets a little PO'd at the leak...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Yababadabadoo!

That gave me a chubby
post #4 of 235
I was sitting there watching cnbc and could not believe my ears. I thought he would have no comment on the subject, but he just smiled and opened up about his excitement for the tablet. http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?play=1&video=1396376379

Steve sending over hit squad now
post #5 of 235
Apple's cut for MH's titles went from 30% to 90%.

post #6 of 235
Hit Squad = Apple Legal = Death Ninjas
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #7 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Hit Squad = Apple Legal = Death Ninjas

Death Super Genius Ninjas!
post #8 of 235
Steve don't like people who talk. He got ways of dealing with dem so day don't blab so much da next time.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #9 of 235
THOUGHT I WAS OUGHT, THEN HE DREW ME BACK IN
post #10 of 235
John Gruber got it right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://daringfireball.net

McGraw-Hill CEO Confirms That Tablet Is iPhone OS Based: Thats a good way to get taken off Steve Jobss Christmas card list.

--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #11 of 235
He means, they did have such an arrangement. ;-)
post #12 of 235
I'm just laughing at the image of Steve Jobs yelling obscenities in some back room on the Cupertino campus after this
post #13 of 235
Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system.

In an interview with Erin Burnett on the program "Street Signs," Terry McGraw was asked about Apple's forthcoming tablet, expected to be announced at an event Wednesday. Burnett asked if textbooks would be available on the unannounced device, and McGraw said yes.

"Very exciting," he said. "You know, they will make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite awhile, and the tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system, and so it will be transferable.

"So what you're going to be able to do now -- we have a consortium of e-books, you know, and we have 95 percent of all of our materials that are in e-book formats on that one. So now, with the tablet, you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is going to be just really terrific."

McGraw's confirmation of the tablet reaffirms rumors that have persisted for months that the company was in negotiations with Apple to provide comment on the tablet. Last week, one report alleged that McGraw-Hll officials were discussing how their software developers and Apple's could collaborate to create dynamic e-books. It was said those negotiations were just as focused on marketing as they are on software development.

McGraw's full interview is embedded below:

post #14 of 235
Merge with c64's thread?

post #15 of 235
He's going to be found dead tomorrow with an iPhone jammed down his throat. It will be ruled a
suicide by the coroner.
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
post #16 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm just laughing at the image of Steve Jobs yelling obscenities in some back room on the Cupertino campus after this

He's wrapping up preps right now at YBC but between now and dinner I imagine there will be the phone call to release the super genius death ninjas, yes.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #17 of 235
What an unbelievable moron. A controlled leak?? Wow, just wow.
post #18 of 235
This surely takes away partly from Jobs' performance tomorrow!
post #19 of 235
"Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system."

IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.
post #20 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system."

IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.

I disagree. I think there will be enough twists to this new bird that it will fly off shelves.

post #21 of 235
Quote:

Apple has like 30 BILLION dollars in the bank. I'm sure they can afford to hire you as a market analyst. You should call 'em. They're probably looking for someone who understands what people will and won't buy, and you may be just the guy.
post #22 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

This surely takes away partly from Jobs' performance tomorrow!

C'mon guys, this was the worst kept secret. I think it just adds more fuel to fire because everyone will want to see apple's take on tablet computing.

Though I still believe the Macgraw-Hill CEO will no longer be sold one.
post #23 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

What an unbelievable moron. A controlled leak?? Wow, just wow.

More like a bad case of incontinence. Get the man some Depends.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #24 of 235
if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \
post #25 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

I'm extremely happy with iPhone OS. Tons of apps that are far cheaper. New ones will come that are much more capable and designed for the tablet.

Instant on, real quick system updates are also a boon.

Have a peek here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=106528

post #26 of 235
I'm surprised anyone felt it was okay to discuss this unannounced product the day before the launch. I feel sorry for anyone who may have been complicit, particularly if they work for Apple. Clearly, McGraw-Hill doesn't understand Apple's showmanship and mystique when they announce new "creations." It's part of the fun of the company's style and it's one of the reasons they're so successful.
post #27 of 235
As crucial as the software is, the candy will be in the hardware.

Steve is going old school
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
post #28 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

He means, they did have such an arrangement. ;-)

GREAT LINE ! Thanks ! !
post #29 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

C'mon guys, this was the worst kept secret. I think it just adds more fuel to fire because everyone will want to see apple's take on tablet computing.

Though I still believe the Macgraw-Hill CEO will no longer be sold one.

I agree- I'll bet this guy had clearance to spill those beans at this point, just to keep the rumor sites (well, like this one, for instance) buzzing. And it worked, I guess.

In any case, he didn't let slip anything we didn't know pretty much for certain before (with the possible exception of confirming the OS).
post #30 of 235
Quote:

I'm extremely happy with iPhone OS. Tons of apps that are far cheaper. New ones will come that are much more capable and designed for the tablet.

Have a peek here:

Ha-ha. That's Bitter Disappointment #1. Collect the whole set! Be the first on your block!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #31 of 235
I would take "based on iPhone OS" as based on iPhone. I expect some new API's. Remember that the iPhone core is standard Darwin, minus the Java VM, print system and other irrelevant stuff, then Cocoa Touch over the top and optimise like crazy.

Point is, there's plenty of room to expand before you hit Mac OS X.
post #32 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

He's going to be found dead tomorrow with an iPhone jammed down his throat. It will be ruled a
suicide by the coroner.

heheh
post #33 of 235
Quote:

"

Oh dear. How wrong can you be?

(quite a lot obviously )
post #34 of 235
...You know, for people who like to sniff their textbooks...
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
post #35 of 235
You have to wonder just how much he knows.

I am sure they got some sort of specs but no way he saw anything.

AT&T never even saw the iPhone and they were a major partner in that deal.

And it using the iPhone OS can mean anything.

I just highly doubt it runs the exact iPhone OS we know and love.

If that was the case, this thing could have come out a year ago.
post #36 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Oh dear. How wrong can you be?

(quite a lot obviously )

The iPhone and iPod touch were such failures.

post #37 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

I suspect the "iPhone operating system" is iPhone 4.0, and I think it is appropriate to assume 4.0 will be much more powerful than 3.0, possibly so much so that it barely resembles its precursor.

If we get multitasking and any number of other requested features, I think it's safe to say we're getting darn close to a Mobile OS X with about as powerful a user interface as you can get with a touch screen.

But then again, I don't want to disguise my excitement with reality. This is Apple, after all. You never know what you're gonna get.
post #38 of 235
Quote:

Instant on, real quick system updates are also a boon.

Have a peek here:

No multi-tasking... I can't believe this is the case with it. It's one reason I don't have an iPhone.
post #39 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I'm surprised anyone felt it was okay to discuss this unannounced product the day before the launch. I feel sorry for anyone who may have been complicit, particularly if they work for Apple. Clearly, McGraw-Hill doesn't understand Apple's showmanship and mystique when they announce new "creations." It's part of the fun of the company's style and it's one of the reasons they're so successful.

The whole point of being secretive is to control the information and manipulate it to your advantage. He didn't say anything we didn't already know (or at least strongly suspect) and it keeps the hype level high, while possibly dampening the inevitable "no OSX - no buy" complaints tomorrow. I find it hard to believe that he said that without Apples approval.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #40 of 235
Quote:

Yababadabadoo!

Na, thinking this was intentional. Any publishers that were on the fence are calling Steve tonight.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet