or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet - Page 5

post #161 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Thanks. I thought she was attractive but from that photo, she looks remarkably like a transexual from Argentina.

As for the CEO, he has an ego...and may have wanted to annoy Steve by mentioning a few tasty details without going too far. God knows what goes on in the minds of such idiots.

Anyway, something you can be sure of regarding the tablet; it understandably won't outsell the iphone or ipod. And I'm guessing it may not even outsell their notebooks (especially if Apple develop macbooks with touch screens somewhere down the line complete with app store).

So, how ground breaking can this thing possibly be? I'm wary of phrases like 'game changer' being banded about.

I do have this awful feeling it may be slightly disappointing after the dust has settled. The sort of 'bigging themselves up' claptrap when they come out with "...and it's got a 3.2mp camera..."!

Anyway, I have an Apple Store Gift Card waiting to be used....so fingers crossed this thing's gonna be damn good!

What does a "transexual from Argentina" look like; and how come you know?
post #162 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Na, thinking this was intentional. Any publishers that were on the fence are calling Steve tonight.

Exactly my thoughts. Jobs gave the OK for the controlled leak to entice a recalcitrant publisher to get on board before tomorrow's Show & Tell. Now why the M-H CEO would want to be party to encouraging a competitor I don't know...unless he hadn't really thought through that and the Apple execs were merely using his ego (and desire to be the first to discuss the tablet) to further their own agenda.
post #163 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If they think that standard Mac OS/X apps will have a chance in hell then yeah they have lost touch. However we are likely to see far more useful Touch apps than are currently seen. For example they might have a Touch based iPhoto that has capabilities from Aperture. Likewise a touch based photo editor is not impossible. Either way direct ports won't cut it, each app will need to be configured/ refactored or otherwise rethought for the Touch environment.

In any event what ultimately can be done with the new device depends upon it's hardware more than anything. RAM is key for many of these functionalities, but RAM also impacts size and heat. It will be interesting to see where the trade offs are made. A happy spot would be around 2GB of RAM.

The problem is that is a lot of board space, heat/power and expense. Apple will likely have 1GB or less on board. If so that greatly reduces the capability of the device to run memory hog apps if there is no paging.

Agreed.

While I believe in the possibility of media editing for the alleged tablet, it would be at the consumer level, not at a professional level.

I would expect to see editing capabilities more in line with the iLife suite rather than the pro applications (Final Cut, Logic, Photoshop, etc.). I have a three-year-old MacBook maxed out at 2 gigabytes of RAM. I know how well many of these pro applications perform at that level.

The insane thing is that many creative or technical professionals seem to imagine this device with limitless battery power, CPU speed, GPU capabilities, I/O, etc. Plus there are user interface considerations that come into play.

Is my iPod touch more powerful than my Wintel PC from 1998? Yes. Is my iPod touch a better device to edit spreadsheets? No.

The alleged tablet is not going to change some basic premises about human-computer interaction.
post #164 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Chubby?! Is that what it is called these days?

Nah - it was new 20 years ago
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #165 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Chubby?! Is that what it is called these days?

I guess the correct term would be "wood"
post #166 of 235
I am really excited about the apple tablet, but I must say after watching that interview, the reporter can smell my textbooks any time...hubba hubba
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #167 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm just laughing at the image of Steve Jobs yelling obscenities in some back room on the Cupertino campus after this

Ala Ballmer? Throws chairs, says, "I'm going to f***in KILL Terry McGraw!!!".
post #168 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I'm surprised anyone felt it was okay to discuss this unannounced product the day before the launch. I feel sorry for anyone who may have been complicit, particularly if they work for Apple. Clearly, McGraw-Hill doesn't understand Apple's showmanship and mystique when they announce new "creations." It's part of the fun of the company's style and it's one of the reasons they're so successful.

This guy frakked up big time. Clearly has no idea what the hell Apple is about. Idiot partners that Apple have to deal with, but hey, that's the name of the game... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12-KN5UijA (just a fun irreverent video for y'all)
post #169 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

What does a "transexual from Argentina" look like; and how come you know?

Transexuals from Argentina gives him a chubby.
post #170 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This guy frakked up big time.

People who use this word should be banned from posting on the Internet.
post #171 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

People who use this word should be banned from posting on the Internet.

Frak you.
post #172 of 235
A glorified iPhone for $999 is exactly what people with too much money to spend are looking for.

Truly revolutionary stuff so far.

A touchscreen?!!!!!
An advanced e-reader? NO WAY!
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #173 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Many have complained that if the Tablet is a Touch with a larger screen, they'll be disappointed. Prepare to be disappointed. But it should be noted that the good news is that being as the tablet will not be designed to replace a full-feature laptop, it will be priced accordingly, i.e. below $700.

My guess is a 7-inch screen to achieve the desired price point, as opposed to the rumoured 10-inch screen. $500 would be a good long-term price target with a price a little higher likely to start.

Based on all reports that I have seen, a 10" screen is more likely, although a 7" version is certainly possible.

I highly doubt that Apple would sell the 10" for under $700.

Should most reasonable and not filthily rich consumers be disappointed with a glorified 10" iTouch for around $1,000? Definitely. Most of us who might want a tablet were hoping for a real computer that could replace our MacBook Pro, not this in-between device that is yet another semi-computer for our collection.
post #174 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \

If it did run OS X then it would suck. It's been understood from the beginning of the iPhone OS that the old Mac OS X--beautiful as it is for the way humans interact with it--is not appropriate for a touch interface. The iPhone OS interface (and all the extraordinary architecture beneath it) wasn't mainly about how to make an interface for a PHONE. It's about how to make an interface for TOUCH. And after having made something that amazing, they'd just forget the whole point of it and go make the same mistake Windows did with its tablets? No. That won't happen.

I'm sorry you've gotten yourself so set on something that was never, ever in the cards. But it was never in the cards. Ever.

Let it go an look at the tablet tomorrow for whatever it turns out to be. Maybe you won't have a use for it. But don't damn the thing for not being something it was never going to be.
post #175 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

wrong, wrong, wrong. Apple would not do that because then it would establish a precedent for other CEO-nitwits to talk about upcoming products. When Apple say don't disclose they mean it. No exceptions. The problem here is that CEO's think of themselves as a special breed for whom rules on non-disclosure do not apply.

Have we all forgotten the CEO of Sun and his premature comment about ZFS? Frozen out of the keynote, with no mention at all.

Agree. McGraw thinks a non-disclosure agreement doesn't apply to him, and/or he doesn't get how he could make a transgression. CNBC and FOX pulled his interview, and I bet McGraw is surprised about those pulls.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #176 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Based on all reports that I have seen, a 10" screen is more likely, although a 7" version is certainly possible.

I highly doubt that Apple would sell the 10" for under $700.

Should most reasonable and not filthily rich consumers be disappointed with a glorified 10" iTouch for around $1,000? Definitely. Most of us who might want a tablet were hoping for a real computer that could replace our MacBook Pro, not this in-between device that is yet another semi-computer for our collection.

The Whining has already begun !!! w00t
post #177 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Agree. McGraw thinks a non-disclosure agreement doesn't apply to him, and/or he doesn't get how he could make a transgression. CNBC and FOX pulled his interview, and I bet McGraw is surprised about those pulls.

In Soviet Russia they send you to the Gulag for this kind of stuff. Pity.
post #178 of 235
HEY THIS THREAD IS UNDER "TEMPORARY INSANITY" !!! YEAHHHHHHHHHhHHHH
post #179 of 235
You have to read between the lines here. While it's possible that this was just a major screwup, I think it's more likely that this was a play to get a few more publishers onboard at the last minute.
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
post #180 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.

People said almost the exact same thing about the original iPod.

Then they said almost the exact same thing about the original iPhone.

And now, thank God, someone has said it about the tablet (sight unseen... which is the best way to make a declaration like this, no doubt).
post #181 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

People said almost the exact same thing about the original iPod.

Then they said almost the exact same thing about the original iPhone.

And now, thank God, someone has said it about the tablet (sight unseen... which is the best way to make a declaration like this, no doubt).

The product is going to be a success. My only regret is that now we have to wait for version 2 which will undoubtedly be much better and have all the kinks out with some major improvements.
post #182 of 235
Quote:

In Soviet Russia they send you to the Gulag for this kind of stuff. Pity.

Well, yes. It helps a lot to live where the rule of law has the upper hand.

post #183 of 235
"If this wasn't an Apple sanctioned leak, I'd already be dead."
I assume that's probably true.
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100126/qotd-244/
post #184 of 235
So the tablet is real!!!

Yeah!!! I'm buying it!

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #185 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If it did run OS X then it would suck. It's been understood from the beginning of the iPhone OS that the old Mac OS X--beautiful as it is for the way humans interact with it--is not appropriate for a touch interface. The iPhone OS interface (and all the extraordinary architecture beneath it) wasn't mainly about how to make an interface for a PHONE. It's about how to make an interface for TOUCH. And after having made something that amazing, they'd just forget the whole point of it and go make the same mistake Windows did with its tablets? No. That won't happen.

I'm sorry you've gotten yourself so set on something that was never, ever in the cards. But it was never in the cards. Ever.

Let it go an look at the tablet tomorrow for whatever it turns out to be. Maybe you won't have a use for it. But don't damn the thing for not being something it was never going to be.

Of course a Tablet would run OS X poorly. What a tablet needs is a dumbed down, inferior version of OS X, which the iPhone OS basically is, to work at its best.

This is forward thinking at its finest

Dismissing a product before it's released is actually not sillier than making the commitment to buy it before it is officially unveiled. At least in the former case, changing one's mind after some retrospection doesn't lighten one's wallet by a grand.

BTW, most of the complaints about the Tablet are about the hypothetical tablet only. I certainly am not criticizing the real thing until it is revealed.
post #186 of 235
Quote:

Well, yes. It helps a lot to live where the rule of law has the upper hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raltenbach View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

You have to read between the lines here. While it's possible that this was just a major screwup, I think it's more likely that this was a play to get a few more publishers onboard at the last minute.

Yeah, I'm just going temporarily INSANE here.

Upon further thought, I think Apple PR has got a schedule of who and where to leak what. The only thing is that it is hard to control when and where things come out exactly.

Like McGraw could say certain things about Tablet and textbook content, but maybe he wasn't supposed to say iPhone OS.

I'm sure Apple, Inc. must be buzzing like a hive on fire.

It is traditional for Apple to be very tight lipped months in advance, but a few days before the actual unveiling usually that's when all the controlled and non-controlled leaks start to come really hard and fast.

There will probably be, a few hours before the event, a Wall Street Journal article describing more about the Tablet, WSJ has as I understand, been the usual controlled leak releaser a few hours before the events.
post #187 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raltenbach View Post

All the same, he might want to have someone else start his car in the morning!

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #188 of 235
Quote:

Or maybe his corporate attorney informed him of his mistake and he asked the networks to pull the interview.
post #189 of 235
The economy isn't so terrible after all. Students will now be able to afford a $999 super e-Reader, along with their iMacs, MacBooks, iPhones, iTouches, etc.

We are all living in an Apple World
post #190 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

All the same, he might want to have someone else start his car in the morning!

I wonder if he'll flinch the first time Steve Jobs says "Boom!"?

post #191 of 235
Quote:

The Whining has already begun !!! w00t

In case you haven't found it, there is a special thread already set up for whining!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=106528

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #192 of 235
Quote:

Yeah, I'm just going temporarily INSANE here.

Upon further thought, I think Apple PR has got a schedule of who and where to leak what. The only thing is that it is hard to control when and where things come out exactly.

Like McGraw could say certain things about Tablet and textbook content, but maybe he wasn't supposed to say iPhone OS.

I'm sure Apple, Inc. must be buzzing like a hive on fire.

It is traditional for Apple to be very tight lipped months in advance, but a few days before the actual unveiling usually that's when all the controlled and non-controlled leaks start to come really hard and fast.

There will probably be, a few hours before the event, a Wall Street Journal article describing more about the Tablet, WSJ has as I understand, been the usual controlled leak releaser a few hours before the events.

This makes no sense at all. I'd like to know what evidence you have that Apple have EVER sanctioned leaks --- as opposed to being unable to stop them, say.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #193 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system.

In an interview with Erin Burnett on the program "Street Signs," Terry McGraw was asked about Apple's forthcoming tablet, expected to be announced at an event Wednesday. Burnett asked if textbooks would be available on the unannounced device, and McGraw said yes.

"Very exciting," he said. "You know, they will make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite awhile, and the tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system, and so it will be transferable.

"So what you're going to be able to do now -- we have a consortium of e-books, you know, and we have 95 percent of all of our materials that are in e-book formats on that one. So now, with the tablet, you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is going to be just really terrific."

McGraw's confirmation of the tablet reaffirms rumors that have persisted for months that the company was in negotiations with Apple to provide comment on the tablet. Last week, one report alleged that McGraw-Hll officials were discussing how their software developers and Apple's could collaborate to create dynamic e-books. It was said those negotiations were just as focused on marketing as they are on software development.

McGraw's full interview is embedded below:

Terry is miss quoted here..

"So what you're going to be able to do now -- we have a consortium of e-books, you know, and we have 95 percent of all of our materials that are in e-book formats on that one. So now, with the tablet, you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is going to be just really terrific."

what he really said is...

"So what you're going to be able to do now -- we have a consortium of e-books, you know, and we have 95 percent of all of our materials that are in e-book formats on that one. So now, with the tabloid, you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tabloid uh the tablet is going to be just really terrific."

watch the video and listen for yourself.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...nfirms_tablet/
post #194 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Yababadabadoo!

The CEO, no less. Bet Apple gets a little PO'd at the leak...

Yep, and then he lets the name out of the bag too!

He refers to it as the "TABLOID."
post #195 of 235
The ? Of the day is, is this $999 hardware going to be able to stream content besides iTunes, QuickTime and YouTube? Or will we be seeing lots of squares unable to play results?
post #196 of 235
He knows exactly what he can say, and when he can say it.

Apple makes all of this stuff VERY clear to people, and unless he sees a clear cut way to do this and suffer no damage, he knew exactly what he was doing, and when he was doing it.

He didn't show pictures (or he'd be dead now)

He didn't speak about the ablet, directly (or he'd be dead now)

He didn't say what colors, what size it is going to be and so much more, that would have had him and his company, on Steve's shiet list.

Skip

PS When I come back from the dead, I want to be a book she reads, you know, one of those with "Pop-up" art when you open the pages
post #197 of 235
Just fire the guy.

Not that big of a deal.

Steve
Sent from my iPad
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
post #198 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \

Me too. No OS X, NO SALE.

Unless of course we are talking about a VERY, VERY modified iPhone OS... but then it wouldn't be called iPhone OS anymore.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #199 of 235
He didn't say any real secrets. Everybody knows it's going to be a tablet device, a lot of evidence everywhere... He only confirmed that it runs iPhone OS, of course, it should be a more advance OS.

The surprises will be in the software and the hardware. Let's just wait a few hours more
lvidal.-
lvidal.-
post #200 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Me too. No OS X, NO SALE.

Unless of course we are talking about a VERY, VERY modified iPhone OS... but then it wouldn't be called iPhone OS anymore.

Agreed - if it's basically an extension of the iTunes store and not a MAC then it's definitely NOT for me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet