or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet - Page 2

post #41 of 235
Haha, do you guy's really think this was anything other than a planned leak?
post #42 of 235
I expect McGraw-Hill had a segment in tomorrow's presentation.

Now they don't.
post #43 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

No multi-tasking... I can't believe this is the case with it. It's one reason I don't have an iPhone.

The tablet will not be running iPhone OS 3.1. Multitasking is a mere update away.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #44 of 235
Steve gonna whoop his arse later.
post #45 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm just laughing at the image of Steve Jobs yelling obscenities in some back room on the Cupertino campus after this

My guess is that McGraw-Hill won't be up on stage tomorrow... and probably won't be mentioned
post #46 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliemuh View Post

Steve gonna whoop his arse later.

No he won't
post #47 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The tablet will not be running iPhone OS 3.1. Multitasking is a mere update away.

Sure about that?
post #48 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Haha, do you guy's really think this was anything other than a planned leak?

Of course it wasn't a planned leak. What possible reason could Apple have to screw Steve's presentation?

If it was intentional by Mr McGraw-Hill then he fucked up royally.
post #49 of 235
Well, personally I think this was an intentional PR leak. However, I'll just pretend that it ain't so and keep on having fun...

Good one, by the way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

He's going to be found dead tomorrow with an iPhone jammed down his throat. It will be ruled a
suicide by the coroner.

--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
post #50 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

C'mon guys, this was the worst kept secret. I think it just adds more fuel to fire because everyone will want to see apple's take on tablet computing.


Though I still believe the Macgraw-Hill CEO will no longer be sold one.

You obviously don't understand Steve. When he asks someone to sign a confidentiality agreement he actually takes them at their word - even the day before.

STEVE WILL NOT FORGET THIS!!!
post #51 of 235
If ALL Apple are releasing tomorrow is just a tablet running iPhone OS then they should be GRATEFUL this guy just announced 95% of their coursework textbooks will run on it because Apple will need every bit of up-sell it can get.

However, we all know there is more wow to come than this.

All this really does is confirm that it's worth 'checking in' for.

This is nothing that a few other major publishers haven't already said already.
post #52 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Haha, do you guy's really think this was anything other than a planned leak?

It's a lot more fun (and likely IMO) to think otherwise.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #53 of 235
"Now, with the tabloid, you're gonna open up the higher education tablet..."

TABLOID as a NAME???
post #54 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Of course it wasn't a planned leak. What possible reason could Apple have to screw Steve's presentation?

If it was intentional by Mr McGraw-Hill then he fucked up royally.

Really? So you think MCGraw Hill worked with Apple for 12-16 months on this project, and then the day before Apple is to unveil their new product, MCGraw Hill decides to make the announcement for Apple. Get a grip man, this is a planned leak with very little new information, but just enough to stoke the flames.
post #55 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Sure about that?

Well, considering there was news yesterday that some group was tracking 50 unknown devices originating at Apple IP addresses running iPhone OS 3.2, I'd say there's good reason to think so. Also, consider that there's lots more physical space in the tablet's shell than an iPhone, which could translate into more powerful processors that can handle some subset of multitasking.

And to all you guys whining about not having Mac OS X on the tablet, remember, down under, it's all Unix, both iPhone OS and Mac OS X, upon which the iPhone OS is based.
post #56 of 235
You are kidding, right? With over a hundred thousand applications, the tablets will likely be the biggest Trojan horse to take sales away from Microsoft. The biggest drawback of iPhone related applications is that the screen size is relatively small. Gaming will be a hundred times better. I think there are more applications available for the iPhone then for the Mac computer. Also students will likely start preferring the Tablets over notebooks because 1) they will likely be cheaper, 2) lighter, 3) have more applications, and 4) the list goes on.

I personally will likely sell my recently purchased Macbook and get a 27" iMac and a Tablet. Then again my predictions are based on guessing on what Apple is going to offer. If it is tied to a cellular contract, sales will be significantly less.

displace many Notebook sales. Further, it will be a great gaming machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system."


IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.
post #57 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It's a lot more fun (and likely IMO) to think otherwise.

I guess it depends how much time you have to kill.....
post #58 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I guess it depends how much time you have to kill.....

For the next 24 hours, many people are devoting their lives to Apple.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #59 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woode View Post

Well, considering there was news yesterday that some group was tracking 50 unknown devices originating at Apple IP addresses running iPhone OS 3.2, I'd say there's good reason to think so. Also, consider that there's lots more physical space in the tablet's shell than an iPhone, which could translate into more powerful processors that can handle some subset of multitasking.

And to all you guys whining about not having Mac OS X on the tablet, remember, down under, it's all Unix, both iPhone OS and Mac OS X, upon which the iPhone OS is based.

3.2 is a maintenance release though, not a feature release. 4.0 is likely, but it's all speculation.
post #60 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system."


IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.

I'm thinking the same thing... I don't see a big draw for this thing. And if this is an ebook reader, I've read that many students aren't happy with ebooks because you can't resell them back to the bookstores, they can't be sold to other students, and they cost almost as much as a real book.
Here's an article that notes some issues with the kindle ebook reader:
http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/kindled

IMO, for this thing to be somewhat successful, it better do multi-tasking, have an easily replaceable battery, and have the ability to function as a stand alone computer so you can connect a keyboard to it and an external monitor and use it as a real computer... I'm not a big fan of touchscreens, having the option to use a keyboard with it while driving a large external monitor would make it very useful.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and I hope this thing has outstanding sales numbers.
post #61 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Na, thinking this was intentional. Any publishers that were on the fence are calling Steve tonight.

I'm not sure I agree with you but your argument certainly does have merit. From what I can tell, McGraw-Hill's marketshare looks to be about 40% for the financials segment and 35% for the educations segment. I have to concede that would be a smart play.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 235
I don't know why everyone is jumping to the conclusion that this "leak" was not ordered by Jobs. I mean, the guy releases a couple of very generic facts, and bookends it with hype: "very exciting" to "really terrific." Instead of being in hot water with Jobs, it's just as likely he was given this assignment as reward for some cooperation offered by McGraw-Hill during the development process.
post #63 of 235
Gee, it's so hard to figure this one out. C'mon, let Steve do his thing...
post #64 of 235
This thread needs more Erin Burnett



post #65 of 235
If Erin Burnett asked me a question I'd blindly answer it!
post #66 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Yababadabadoo!

The CEO, no less. Bet Apple gets a little PO'd at the leak...

So what, though.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #67 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The whole point of being secretive is to control the information and manipulate it to your advantage. He didn't say anything we didn't already know (or at least strongly suspect) and it keeps the hype level high, while possibly dampening the inevitable "no OSX - no buy" complaints tomorrow. I find it hard to believe that he said that without Apples approval.

That's a pretty good point. The "No OS X - no buy" crowd will at least have a chance to cry themselves to sleep tonight and maybe they'll wake up with a new perspective.
post #68 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Apple has like 30 BILLION dollars in the bank. I'm sure they can afford to hire you as a market analyst. You should call 'em. They're probably looking for someone who understands what people will and won't buy, and you may be just the guy.

Wow! Someone not get hired as a marketer and bitter?
post #69 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I'm thinking the same thing... I don't see a big draw for this thing. And if this is an ebook reader, I've read that many students aren't happy with ebooks because you can't resell them back to the bookstores, they can't be sold to other students, and they cost almost as much as a real book.
Here's an article that notes some issues with the kindle ebook reader:
http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/kindled

IMO, for this thing to be somewhat successful, it better do multi-tasking, have an easily replaceable battery, and have the ability to function as a stand alone computer so you can connect a keyboard to it and an external monitor and use it as a real computer... I'm not a big fan of touchscreens, having the option to use a keyboard with it while driving a large external monitor would make it very useful.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and I hope this thing has outstanding sales numbers.

That right there is the biggest problem. Our community college is adopting a new program in 2 years where they will be purchasing 30k+ ebooks for students (price reflected in tuition of course) and every book is supposedly sold at 25 to 45 bucks which is significantly cheaper than your average 130 dollar textbook.

For this tablet to be successful for education (30% education discount maybe?) it cant be outrageously priced and its as simple as that, especially since you will STILL need a computer in conjunction with this. If its reasonably priced i could see it being a hit in schools.
post #70 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \

iPhone OS is OS X - it's just not MacOS X

MacOS X uses Cocoa
iPhone OS uses Cocoa Touch

Which one did you think a touch based tabled would be based on?

iPhone OS isn't the best name since it runs on more than the iPhone- call it "Touch OS X" vs "Mac OS X"
post #71 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

For this tablet to be successful for education (30% education discount maybe?) it cant be outrageously priced and its as simple as that, especially since you will STILL need a computer in conjunction with this. If its reasonably priced i could see it being a hit in schools.

are you sure about that?
post #72 of 235
Whatever it is/does, I just hope there is an 'iPod Touch' version. I already pay way too much per month for the iPhone.

I think we can safely say that there will be a pay monthly version.

Coincidentally, the o2.co.uk laptop section is down for maintenance...maybe...adding new products? http://shop.o2.co.uk/laptops/viewall
post #73 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passing View Post

Whatever it is/does, I just hope there is an 'iPod Touch' version. I already pay way too much per month for the iPhone.

Agreed. I'm not paying for another data plan.
post #74 of 235
Hell, I'd like to smell her text books too !
post #75 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passing View Post

Whatever it is/does, I just hope there is an 'iPod Touch' version. I already pay way too much per month for the iPhone.

I think we can safely say that there will be a pay monthly version.

Yeah, if there are more monthly fees attached to this item I will not be in the market for it either.
post #76 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...We have worked with Apple for quite awhile...

I bet there's a chill wind blowing up that guy's shorts tonight.

...Erin go brea....
post #77 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So what, though.

Can I buy you some sense of humor?

(Don't be predictable in your response).
post #78 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

This surely takes away partly from Jobs' performance tomorrow!

Sure, but what will be taken away from Jobs' presentation is the slide that shows McGraw-Hill as one of the companies Apple has been working with. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve is going through is presentation right now and removing all mention of McGraw-Hill from it. Remember the Phil not-so-subtly showed the slide off all the carriers that would have MMS and tethering and giving people plenty of time to realize that ATT wasn't on that slide? It was so obvious that the audience actually started laughing about it. That will be McGraw-Hill tomorrow.
post #79 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Sure, but what will be taken away from Jobs' presentation is the slide that shows McGraw-Hill as one of the companies Apple has been working with. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve is going through is presentation right now and removing all mention of McGraw-Hill from it. Remember the Phil not-so-subtly showed the slide off all the carriers that would have MMS and tethering and giving people plenty of time to realize that ATT wasn't on that slide? It was so obvious that the audience actually started laughing about it. That will be McGraw-Hill tomorrow.

That's actually a good test of whether it was planted or not: If they do show up, we know for sure that it was a planned leak.
post #80 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

If Erin Burnett asked me a question I'd blindly answer it!

Yeah, he seemed kind of nervous being under the bright TV lights, talking to the cute anchorwoman. To me he looked like a born-overprivileged private school boy, working in the family business, who had some information that the cute girl wanted to know. There was no way he would be able to hold his mud.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet