Pardon the length of this post but as I have been tracking the dialogue on this forum I have not seen the community touch on the things that have been occupying my brain cycles in relation to Apples event.This announcement Its about far more than a tablet.
This will be creation of a complete media eco-system for individuals, family units and their wider socially connected networks. This is the aligning of a massive marketplace for absolutely ALL creators, distributers and sellers of content from individuals selling personal novels to rich media always fresh channels, to network shows and feature films and public domain web content.What I think everybody has been missing:
At the size and scale (of what we suspect to be true) the device will have real power and storage limitations to be the sole device for content creation, long term management and storage of owned/rented media assets and precious personal digital assets (i.e. Family photos and videos as-well-as individual creative projects developed on the tablet itself.)
As a media consumption device - the necessity to both localize/cash data (for offline experience) and provide a long term approach storage of continually generated subscription content would quickly overwhelm even the most robust device. That manufacturing cost of solid state storage is an X factor above what traditional disk storage costs per MB (feel free to add a number here). We are talking about a lot of MBs here.
In addition to the power and storage limitations, a lost, dropped or stolen device is not only the loss of the hardware, but precious and irreplaceable personal data.
Conclusion: The Tablet IS NOT a stand alone device. It
works in conjunction with local hardware an cloud services that serve media to all consumption devices; Tablet, phone, laptop, TV.
Apple will introduce a network server device similar to time capsule that will serve as the center of the family media services and the data storage work horse for digital assets. This will work in combination with a massively upgraded MobileMe account where your content will be available to everyone in the family locally and through the cloud, remaining in sync through WiFi and 3GAdditional predictions for the tablet that we may expect to see:
- The tablet will also serve a a master control for your media consumption and other networked devices in your world (refrigerator, lights, HVACs, etc.). You may browse and queue up any form of content and serve it to any device in your media ecosystem and control your environment through upgraded controls in OS4.0.
- The media server will handle subscriptions with content providers, apple store and wider network of personal connections (i.e. Aunt Bettys mobile me gallery)
- The tablet will support sophisticated awareness and sharing functions, be locationally aware of each other and support the ability to bump assets to each other, run real-time networked and geo-location aware games (think virtual Frisbee across the dorm room) and related apps.
- The tablet will have front and back cameras. The front will have dual stereo cameras that will allow you to perform accurate 3D no-touch jesters to control the interface and the environment.
- The tablet will support pen based input from 3d party devices. Further, using the 3d camera input along with AR and object recognition the tablet will create a whole new industry of input devices for games, content creation and productivity. This is the end of the relience on keyboard/mouse input as we know it.
- The tablet will support video conferencing. Although not in the way we traditionally expect. I believe it to be avatar based. Transferring only movement/position data through the pipes.
- Rear cameras will support HD video capture and advanced motion tracking.
- Tablet OS4 will provide significant SDKs for augmented reality applications, including glyph/object recognition and geo located data overlays in real time. Deep support for AR experiences in travel, shopping, face recognition and
- The tablet will have native support for reading AR glyphs, QR codes and traditional bar codes.
- OS 4.0 will include services for retail Point of Sale payment making the iPhone and Tablet the equivalent of a digital wallet.
- iLife will be upgraded to provide powerful features for the creation of creative content and self publishing.
Thank you for reading. In considering the importance of today's announcement I wanted to document my thoughts on this industry changing day with what I consider to be the best group of enthusiasts on the web.Thanks for reading. Enjoy tablet day.!