or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute

Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute - Page 3

post #81 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It could be SJ leaking all these photos LOL

post #82 of 137
Well obviously its going to be based on the iphone os. Apple created that os to be used on... touch screens. You're not going to get snow leopard redone to be used on a touch screen. But that doesn't mean its going to be limited device. Today is the day the iPhone OS grows up. I can pretty safely assume that the os on the tablet will be much more advanced than the os on the iphone. Think of all the new gestures you can do now that it has a 10 inch screen. Not to mention multitasking, maybe multiple apps all up at once? The possibilities are incredibly exciting, and I can't wait to see the real deal.

But don't go around whining "It's not OS X! There is no optical drive! It's so limited and useless and expensive" WAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Shut up and don't buy one then.
post #83 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yes. Because it's on 'steroids'

TabrRoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

and likely the magsafe charger.

I think that is a bad move since you don't want the prevent the cable from popping out as it's likely going to be in your hands. It's surely to be an accessory to your PC, not a replacement..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

The ones blocking out the photographers face in the reflection?

Thanks. Too busy this morning to read article, if it was mentioned, just skimmed the comments a bit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #84 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbot View Post

it's bolted into a security frame which is fastened to a cable like a kensington lock or something.

The case just allows access to the buttons and ports without being able to nick it.

Right, we're saying the same thing.
post #85 of 137
Wonder if there is any significance to the location in the maps app? Looked at it in google earth: Charolette Amalie, US VI. That pin takes you to a picture of a bell called "Pass and Stow"
post #86 of 137
Let it run Kurzweil's Blio.
post #87 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapplet View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen...
But that's no reason to be left out of what could easily be the most useful, most used, most you-gotta-have-this device, anywhere, at anytime, maybe, in the history of man -- the start of a new decade ushers in the beginning of a new, exciting era of mobility --

The prophet Dr. Seuss fortold this event. It's a Thneed! A thing that everyone needs!
post #88 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

On another note this is a testing platform, I love all the people that think that this is "it", the only thing being tested there most likely is the touch screen, they need a housing for it that's all.

If they were testing the touchscreen only, would they really need the cutouts in the frame for the home button and the (possible) camera?
post #89 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by will2 View Post

The prophet Dr. Seuss fortold this event. It's a Thneed! A thing that everyone needs!

Hahaha. Yes!

They should call it the iThneed. Everyone needs 2!
post #90 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHicks View Post

If they were testing the touchscreen only, would they really need the cutouts in the frame for the home button and the (possible) camera?

To test the screen.

Nope that's really it, it's 2 inches thick, surrounded by torque screws and no way to actually rest your hands on it to type, you win a cigar
post #91 of 137
Quote:

Maybe you should have read the article ..

"Also, Calacanis is known for anti-Apple rants and has pulled pranks on the blogosphere in the past. He did not post anything about the tablet on his personal site, calacanis.com."

On another note this is a testing platform, I love all the people that think that this is "it", the only thing being tested there most likely is the touch screen, they need a housing for it that's all.

Did we really think it would look like anything other then a big iPhone, really?

He has 93,000 Twitter followers, do you think it would benefit him to mislead everyone on such a grand scale? Not likely.
post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Wonder if there is any significance to the location in the maps app? Looked at it in google earth: Charolette Amalie, US VI. That pin takes you to a picture of a bell called "Pass and Stow"

National Treasure 2

The secret lies with Charolette!!!!
post #93 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Cool - must admit had not seen that before - not a bad idea.
post #94 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

He has 92,000 Twitter followers, do you think it would benefit him to lie to everyone on such a grand scale? Not likely.

Seriously, someone known for pranks etc., and who hates apple, wouldn't do something like this because a bunch of morons follow him on twitter?

I think it's time to stop reading posts here for the day I think I can hear my braincells scream as they die.
post #95 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapticlight View Post

oh? It's a giant iPhone

What did you expect? A giant balloon?
post #96 of 137
I think there will be new macbook pros today because a guy I know said that their employee pricing will give them "40% off because of the new ones."
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #97 of 137
Quote:

To test the screen.

Nope that's really it, it's 2 inches thick, surrounded by torque screws and no way to actually rest your hands on it to type, you win a cigar

Well clearly there is some sort of extra housing on it for security purposes. I don't actually think that's it.

My point still stands - if it were just for testing the touchscreen, why would they cut out space for the home button and something else at the top?

You can have your cigar back.
post #98 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What did you expect? A giant balloon?

Adventure...erm TABLETS ARE OUT THERE!
post #99 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

He has 93,000 Twitter followers, do you think it would benefit him to mislead everyone on such a grand scale? Not likely.

He can just as easily claim that Apple sent him a 'decoy' product to test. Or whatever. Costs nothing to mouth off like this, but generates a lot of buzz for him (as we can see).
post #100 of 137
post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's surely to be an accessory to your PC, not a replacement.

Wow, I hope not. If I have to sync this thing to iTunes to get the full benefit of the device then that's a total dealbreaker.

This better NOT be an accessory, but rather a new paradigm - and a standalone paradigm at that.
post #102 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

Wow, I hope not. If I have to sync this thing to iTunes to get the full benefit of the device then that's a total dealbreaker.

This better NOT be an accessory, but rather a new paradigm - and a standalone paradigm at that.

Well, you've got to get your existing content on there somehow...
post #103 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHicks View Post

Well clearly there is some sort of extra housing on it for security purposes. I don't actually think that's it.

My point still stands - if it were just for testing the touchscreen, why would they cut out space for the home button and something else at the top?

You can have your cigar back.

[CENTER]Maybe...

To allow full device functionality?

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #104 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Cool - must admit had not seen that before - not a bad idea.

That concept has been around for years. I've certainly posted similar pics using the logical curved keyboard. Apple even has a patent for it. it just makes sense.

Here are some other examples...

http://www.chessware.ch/download/touchitscreenshot.jpg (image)
post #105 of 137
Quote:

He can just as easily claim that Apple sent him a 'decoy' product to test. Or whatever. Costs nothing to mouth off like this, but generates a lot of buzz for him (as we can see).

Did you read his "claims", 2 cameras one front facing for video conferencing, sounds like he's just spouting off a lot of shit that won't happen and then bag on it more, but hey whatever doesn't affect me one bit.

A big iphone, 800 for so bucks, something to surf the web on while watching tv etc., i'm onboard, I already sit there and play games on my iPhone or iTouch while watching tv, might as well have a decent screen to do it on. I'm pretty sure there are millions of other people that feel the same way as I do.
post #106 of 137
Quote:

[CENTER]I'm pretty certain that you're going to be extremely disappointed in a couple of hours, as this device will be completely tied into the existing iTunes ecosystem.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Absolutely no way Apple would design a product with a keyboard like that. Apple designs products for regular people not some small percentage of keyboard geeks.

The whole idea behind the iPhone platform is coming up with a better way to do mobile computing that even your mum can use easily. Split-screen weirdo keyboards that only a tiny percentage of even computer literate could even operate are just not on the menu.

Whatever it is it has to be a simpler keyboard entry system, not a harder one.
post #108 of 137
Quote:

Well, I don't have to plug my Apple TV into my MacBook... And all my non-Media data is synced via MobileMe on my Touch. And Apps and iTunes media can be bought direct from both my Touch and Apple TV (well, not Apps, not right now anyway).

So, I think the tablet (iBook?? Please...) can be pretty much standalone without having to do anything new.
post #109 of 137

My favorite Duke moment, when you find the duke pinball machine and he says "No time to play with myself now"
post #110 of 137
Quote:

By accessory, I don't mean peripheral. The iPhone stands alone as a new paradigm in mobile computing, but it's still an accessory to a PC. I can't see a 10" display replacing a full-sized computer. Hell, netbooks can't even do that and they don't have their input mucking up the usable screen space. If you expect this to replace your PC then prepare to be disappointed.
post #111 of 137
Quote:

True, guess we'll see soon. Some of his predictions do seem lofty the more I read over them.. hard to tell but what a colossal ass he'd be to intentionally skew details simply to bash Apple.. poor character to say the least.
post #112 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Absolutely no way Apple would design a product with a keyboard like that. Apple designs products for regular people not some small percentage of keyboard geeks.

The whole idea behind the iPhone platform is coming up with a better way to do mobile computing that even your mum can use easily. Split-screen weirdo keyboards that only a tiny percentage of even computer literate could even operate are just not on the menu.

Considering that Apple has patented a similar design for use on touch screens, Apple can't think that it is as bad as you claim it is.

Something has to be developed and short of holding the keyboard flat on a table, a split keyboard makes the most sense when holding the device with two hands.
post #113 of 137
I'm actually getting a chuckle over the whole "Well that's just ugly" and the "Damn your stupid if you do not realise that is a security case/prototype case". What's going to make me laugh is if SJ actually brings this thing out today and it looks EXACTLY like the picture
post #114 of 137
Quote:

I'm actually getting a chuckle over the whole "Well that's just ugly" and the "Damn your stupid if you do not realise that is a security case/prototype case". What's going to make me laugh is if SJ actually brings this thing out today and it looks EXACTLY like the picture

No the funny thing would be that apple would pull it off and in 2 months every other company would come out with something that was the same form factor, maybe the security screws would be in different positions though
post #115 of 137
Quote:

it might be nice to have a device that isn't frail like the iphone/itouch so the heavy case might be welcome. but the screws are pretty random, so I"m thinking not.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #116 of 137
Quote:

[CENTER]Somehow I just don't believe that will happen...

Oversized IPhone = Yes

Oversized iPhone In Body Armor = Absolutely Not[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you expect this to replace your PC then prepare to be disappointed.

I am. But "replace" is a very broad word. I'm not looking to buy this and throw away my ThinkPad. But I could easily take a subset of the things I do with a PC and transfer them to a device like this tablet and end up with a standalone product that never needs to know about anything else I own (except maybe a printer or an iPod) and still be extremely useful. We'll know in a bit.
post #118 of 137
Quote:

No the funny thing would be that apple would pull it off and in 2 months every other company would come out with something that was the same form factor, maybe the security screws would be in different positions though

You mean, like on a Zune HD?
post #119 of 137
APPLE tablet will kill other company's tablets' as soon as it is out without asking , like microsoft islate. apple REinvents the tablet again while MICROSOFT re-bring the rubbish but adds so-called two touches baby muti-touch!

SEE what happen today
post #120 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Which is why a curved, split keyboard that allows your thumbs to travel every key just as easily as you can on an iPhone makes sense. That's the way the "let's make the keyboard QWERTY and slap it across the the display so I can I have to hold the device with one hand while typing with one hand or have to set it down to type" mockups so commonly shown are ultimately a failed concept. Now, I don't think that type of keyboard won't be included, just not when holding the device in your hands.

Quote:

I am. But "replace" is a very broad word. I'm not looking to buy this and throw away my ThinkPad. But I could easily take a subset of the things I do with a PC and transfer them to a device like this tablet and end up with a standalone product that never needs to know about anything else I own (except maybe a printer or an iPod) and still be extremely useful. We'll know in a bit.

What you're describing is then an ACCESSORY to your computing habits, not a replacements, the same way the iPhone has become an accessory computing device but hasn't replaced a PC.

PS: My MBP was out of commission once and I tried just using my iPhone. It was a PITA after a week so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a Acer netbook. Still a PITA but less so for basic "PC-like" computing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute