or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › A few thoughts on the big day

A few thoughts on the big day

post #1 of 3
Three years ago, Apple changed the world as we know it. Many people suspected Apple was going to release a phone; no one knew it would be the paradigm shifting force of nature it turned out to be. At that time, all phones sucked, and all carriers sucked more. Though memories are short, AT&T should be praised for their part in bringing the iPhone to the world and forever changing how cell phone service works in this country. The key thing is that it took the world by storm. No one expected their world to be rocked and all were caught completely off guard. It took three years for competitors to even start catching up.

Now, there is another big event. This time, the world is watching and is braced for impact. They now expect Apple to change the world again. Every detail has been and will be under a microscope. No one wants to be caught off guard again and made to look like a fool. Heads of several industries are holding their breath. They are trying to get out in front of this storm. Can Apple pull off another iPhone type paradigm shift without the element of surprise? Can they meet the expectations of so many? Is the new device doomed to be a disappointment when held against the measure of so much hype and frenzy?

This time, the competitors all have a statement prepared and a prototype of their own ready to go in all likelihood. Apple is no longer working in a vacuum. Despite all that, I still believe that SJ can pull it off. It will be one of the greatest tech triumphs of all time. It is happening in our lifetimes and we are privileged to be able to watch the events unfold. I suspect this will be Steve's last year at Apple and I am hoping it will be one for the books. Whatever they announce today, I plan to order two of them. At worst, they will be big on ebay.

Thoughts?
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #2 of 3
i think apple's true impact on the world started in '01 with the iPod. It's because of them that entertainment media has been making the shift into the digital age. agreed the iphone was huge. i just dont think it was quite the dominating force that the ipod has proven to be.

Anyway, the chances of hype bringing disappointment are inevitable, but i think we can all rest assured that if there is one company that knows how to change the world, its Apple. Im pretty sure that even if the device doesnt quite live up to all the hype, it will still be satisfying and will not disappoint.
post #3 of 3
Mac Voyer, you raise a good point, and I agree. Everyone has their predictions for the fabled tablet, but I think the reality will be more exciting than any of the rumors. The thing I'm most excited is where they are taking multitouch in the future. Yeah, having pinching and tapping and zooming is great on the iphone. But think of all the possibilities a 10 inch touch screen gives you for more advanced gestures. And of course, possible proximity and face detection if you look through some patents.

I really think this will set off a new era in mobile computing. My prediction for the tablet is that it will be flawed (like the original iphone) but it will represent a massive leap forward in ability and ease of use, and will lead to tablets becoming popular in the coming years.

But thats just my opinion, and I could be totally wrong. Maybe their latest creation is the "xMac" all of you have been whining about for years. How would that be for a surprise? Haha.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › A few thoughts on the big day