or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad' - Page 4

post #121 of 779
They didn't mention memory (RAM) capacity. The Times live blog said, " 16 GB of memory, 32 or 64 Gigabytes of storage," but obviously they got this wrong.
post #122 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It has productivity apps! We are witnessing the death of the mouse people. And maybe the long term replacement of the Mac.

[CENTER]Probably Not Anytime Soon... We'll See[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #123 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

10 hours of "best case" battery life is pathetic. It probably won't even last 4-5 hours under heavy use. They should have made it a few ounces heavier to get at least 8 hours of battery life under heavy use, which would translate to 14-16 hours of "best case" battery life...

they said 10 hours of VIDEO USE and 1 month standby.... sheesh
post #124 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

Ever heard of cloud computing? Every large tech is going this route. My employer, fortune 100 - we are going cloud big time.

local drive > cloud computing
post #125 of 779
Productivity apps are huge for me. Would have been a dealbreaker for me without it. Glad to see that (and iBook).

Where the heck is 3G?!
post #126 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonJohnScott View Post

apple stock is tumbling. not a good sign..

That was to be expected... means nothing long term. Apple products never match the vision people have for them, they can't.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #127 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterxAce View Post

they said 10 hours of VIDEO USE and 1 month standby.... sheesh

With a little help from the graphics chip, Video use may translate to 20-30% CPU utilization...
post #128 of 779
One long ass keynote thats for sure
post #129 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well send in a resume and start working for Apple. You want to improve it, go work for them.

maybe I will
post #130 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

you are brilliant!
post #131 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

And why the *&^@ is the bezel around the screen so flippin' wide? Apple, WTF?

That's for the next model with the 11.9 screen.
post #132 of 779
So it really is just a giant touch? I mean a bigger screen is great and all and will allow for easier productivity, but it doesn't interface with pro aps or ATV as a touch a controller? Nor does it act like a tablet with a stylus? Nor does it have anyway of making a typing on a touch device any better? Nor an e-ink screen? How are students supposed to take notes? Writing on the capacitive touch screen doesn't really work that well so how are we supposed to use this thing to take notes in meetings or classrooms? type on a touch screen? and I don't even want to think about the lack of Ichat and a camera. How long have people been waiting for ichat on their portable.

Forget about running OSX there are basically no features beyond he IPT other than a bigger screen. If they are looking at people buying this thing and a macpro or macbook pro I think it's gonna be a hard sell.

Funny how they chose the name none of thought they'd use. Ipad? Really?

Hopefully it'll be relatively cheap considering the lack of features and dev's will write some great aps for it. Obviously Apple wants to extend the devices capabilities primarily with software.

But that brings me to the processor... why a 1 ghz A4?

Am I the only one kind of unimpressed? To me it seems they are being overly conservative with the finger works technology and mobile technology in general. Wow another content digester. Great. Really doesn't have the same soul that the newton does it?
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #133 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Probably Not Anytime Soon... We'll See[/CENTER]

Well, when the Mac first came out I'm sure mainstream thought was that the mouse was stupid and gimmicky and would never be used for serious work, but it took over. This is the same order of change. A new kind of computer that is fully touch.

Touch could be to the mouse what the mouse was to DOS.
post #134 of 779
Hey look you can barely tell the difference between my 'mockup' in 2007 and the real deal!

(treat that with a pinch of sarcasm)
post #135 of 779
iPad is going to confuse the hell out of everyone in south boston where iPod is pronounced iPahhd
post #136 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yes, it makes sense to keep a reliable copy of the data in one place as opposed to a whole bunch of unreliable copies all over the place. I am currently going through the process of upgrading my (non-Apple) work laptop to a new machine, and the pain and suffering is pretty intense...
post #137 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Productivity apps are huge for me. Would have been a dealbreaker for me without it. Glad to see that (and iBook).

Where the heck is 3G?!

Next year.

Gen 1 iphone was amazing, but iphone 3g really set the standard, especially in terms of what you get for your money. I have a feeling this ipad will follow the same sort of route, where next year it's what we want at a better price than whatever this will be.
post #138 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by willlarson View Post

Wow! They made a big iPod Touch! So impressive! NOT!

"1GHz...which includes the CPU and graphics...and it screams" seems like a contradiction to me. Since when has a non-mobile device with an integrated 1 GHz been touted as screaming? I haven't seen the detailed specs yet to be 100% on my previous statement but I doubt it has multiple cores, an impressive bus, or anything of that nature.

What about the app store? Will its restrictions make it suck just like the iPhone app store? There's one other issue that I foresee. The iPad looks like it may only be compatible with one browser. I hope Microsoft and Google sue you, Apple.

Another twunt that just registered (1 post) to ditch apple. You boys are shitting your pants right now, aren't you? How many of you trolls did your companies pay off to come here and register to post your junk. You are pathetic.
post #139 of 779
Quote:

Where the heck is 3G?!

HOORAY! 3G is there..... (breathes again).....
post #140 of 779
the 3g plans are very impressive
post #141 of 779
OMG, the Verizon zealots are going to freak out that it's AT&T service, but wow, $29.99 with unlimited data. Cool.
post #142 of 779
I have an iPhone (great device/dreadful phone - but then we all knew that) so why on earth do I need a bigger one?! I get the idea that I can sit on the train and read books and watch 10 hours of video having had it hanging around without charge for up to a month (yeah right - like that's gonna live up to expectations) but I'm still having to carry my laptop so I'm taking two devices?? I don't think so!

Absolutely everything Apple has done before has been surrounded in hype and they've compeltely pulled it off - but this (as the share price right this second would suggest) is NOT their finest hour.

Oh sure it'll sell - but I for one am disapointed.

M
post #143 of 779
3G on ATT. Fail. Basically you are just getting the unlimited data plan that they mandate on all iPhone users. However $14.99 for 250 megs isn't a bad start for any future tiered data rates that may show up.
post #144 of 779
No jesus no!!!!!

at&t still apple?!!!!
post #145 of 779
Quote:

you are brilliant!

yeah i no. sum1 sed i shood work for Apple and I think I wil
post #146 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

the 3g plans are very impressive

No contract - very smart
post #147 of 779
You sure had one hell of an announcement today. With all those teaser reports it's almost like someone is trying to game your stock.
post #148 of 779
Quote:

Where the heck is 3G?!

You couldn't wait 15 min, could you?
post #149 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

All of you morons just registered today to ditch apple? For crying out loud don't you idiots have anything better to do than troll apple product launches....2 posts, 1 post, 3 posts, everyone of you...get a girlfriend, or boyfriend...jesus...apple is so hot all the losers flog around like flies.

Actually, I've been a member for quite some time. I simply don't typically waste my time on these forums, as with most, it is full of idiots and fanboys.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings as a result of you being unable to see the big picture. I've been in IT industry long enough to know a killer when I see it as well as a missed opportunity. The two major things this device needs is enough battery life to be usable in a real environment for 10 hours (allows a safety window on power) and a camera or two... if one, a rotating job. Since, *I* can't see any detailed images of the device and I haven't seen it mentioned yet, I have to assume it is sans camera.
post #150 of 779
Hmmm...New 3G micro sims? Why? To keep me from plugging in my current phone SIM?
post #151 of 779
[CENTER]So...

I wonder what's Apple definition of 'Unlocked'[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #152 of 779
No cam so..no iChat.....not good for me. I iChat all the time with my son in the Navy on my iMac. I was so hoping. \
post #153 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpunk View Post

I have an iPhone (great device/dreadful phone - but then we all knew that) so why on earth do I need a bigger one?! I get the idea that I can sit on the train and read books and watch 10 hours of video having had it hanging around without charge for up to a month (yeah right - like that's gonna live up to expectations) but I'm still having to carry my laptop so I'm taking two devices?? I don't think so!

Absolutely everything Apple has done before has been surrounded in hype and they've compeltely pulled it off - but this (as the share price right this second would suggest) is NOT their finest hour.

Oh sure it'll sell - but I for one am disapointed.

M

Another brilliant first post!
post #154 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It isn't that great.

1. Its not a game changer

2. Its nothing more then a larger iPod Touch

3. It can't work as a Mac. No version of iLife or iWorks like rumored. It has no real processing power.

4. Unlike some have mentioned its not powerful enough for Slate computing to take over notebooks.

5. They can bundle it with Apple Tv and try and sell it at Costco because thats the only way they are going to make money on this.

Odd, I saw lots of mention of iWork.
post #155 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

You couldn't wait 15 min, could you?

Point there....

(I was going by past keynotes which typically lasted close to an hour; I was getting a tad worried as he clock struck....)
post #156 of 779
$499 - that's cheaper than I expected. Might become interesting!
post #157 of 779
Quote:

I am going with $499 + data plan. They are going to price this slow to get volume and to position it as a gaming device.

$499 - Spot On!
post #158 of 779
its cheap!!!! 499!! whooooo
post #159 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

They didn't mention memory (RAM) capacity. The Times live blog said, " 16 GB of memory, 32 or 64 Gigabytes of storage," but obviously they got this wrong.

The cloud man ...the cloud....it's where were heading.
post #160 of 779
At $500, I'll be getting one. Happily.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'