or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad' - Page 7

post #241 of 779
Perfect Apple product launch.

This product will absolutely revolutionize our lives, and somehow, once again, many people don't see it. That keyboard dock is the big picture, there are many, many situations where i wont need to bring my laptop at all now. Going on vacation... why bring my big expensive laptop, i can can handle all my photos from the trip, write my journals and blogs on the trip, puruse the web and watch videos.

Going to class or a meeting? Why bring your whole laptop with its limited battery when you can just take notes on this slim little puppy.

The keyboard is epic! iWork is incredible. As Brushes showed, when third party developers get some time with this, photo manipulation software on this thing is going to be tight.

My laptop is now relegated to a desktop, useful for doing work all around the house/office, but too bulky to carry with me for everyday life.
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
Reply
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
Reply
post #242 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I agree, and disagree. I'm not ready to run out and buy one today, if ever, but the little 3.5" screen of our iPhones is a bit limiting for web browsing of any length, especially if you're in the over 40 crowd and small little screens don't focus that well any more.

But the ipad is too big to bring everywhere and also missing an attached keyboard.

Why bring this everywhere when i can get a 9 inch tablet / netbook that has a keyboard? One that can run full pc/(hacked apple osx) programs?

Apple would have done better making a netbook/convertable tablet.

This needed a revolutionary feature that they failed to deliver.
post #243 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The problem is that this is tooo much like an ipod touch and iphone.

I can do everything this can do on my iphone already. Its really only a bigger ipod touch.

It suffers from not having any features that cant be done on an iphone or ipod touch.

What size monitor do you use? Why don't you use a smaller one?
What processor are you using? Why not a lesser one?
How much ram? Why not less?

These arguments make no sense at all. Why buy a laptop if a netbook can do everything a laptop can? I didn't see iWork for the iPhone announced either, and once developers get in on this there will be a slew of things the tablet can do that the iPhone and iPod touch can't due to a lack of screen real estate and processing power.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #244 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]
The most compelling aspect of the iPad is the eReader/iWork combination, which allows a degree of productivity not afforded by the iPhone/Touch.
[/CENTER]

Precisely. It's essentially a larger iPod Touch with productivity capabilities. Those capabilities are really going to make themselves known with third-party apps.

I think this is a case where the world may yawn at first- but will quickly take notice as soon as the App Store rolls in with it's army of developers.
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
Reply
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
Reply
post #245 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

Perfect Apple product launch.

This product will absolutely revolutionize our lives, and somehow, once again, many people don't see it. That keyboard dock is the big picture, there are many, many situations where i wont need to bring my laptop at all now. Going on vacation... why bring my big expensive laptop, i can can handle all my photos from the trip, write my journals and blogs on the trip, puruse the web and watch videos.

Going to class or a meeting? Why bring your whole laptop with its limited battery when you can just take notes on this slim little puppy.

The keyboard is epic! iWork is incredible. As Brushes showed, when third party developers get some time with this, photo manipulation software on this thing is going to be tight.

My laptop is now relegated to a desktop, useful for doing work all around the house/office, but too bulky to carry with me for everyday life.

Why get this for more when i can do everything for cheaper on the tablet convertable netbooks that have built in keyboards? I can run full programs on them even run flash that this can't. Also can put osx on it if you like hacking.

This is proof that a lot of apple fans ignore existing products just because they dont have an apple logo on them.
post #246 of 779
So how long before the Dev Team jailbreaks this iPad...?
post #247 of 779
I would use this for remote desktop Mac or Windows if it runs the remote desktop iphone apps
post #248 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post


Like the price, not so impressed with the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No new OS for the iPhone, no multitasking, no camera, stuck on AT&T's network for the time being. No thanks.

I wouldn't call it technically stuck since its unlocked, but it isn't compatible with T-Mobile's 1700mhz network and the other national carriers use CDMA.
post #249 of 779
lol....it really is lame. Ok so you get the cheapest at $500 (with ONLY 16gb!!!!) add the probably $100 dock, $30 of iWork and now it's the price of the 3G enabled one at $630, do the same exercise for the $630 3G one and you are at $760 for the "cheap" model.

Really quite a joke. I knew it would be a big ipod touch with the added "revolution" of ebooks...and so I am not disappointed in the announcement. This was completely in line with expectations for me...it was always going to be a ridiculous joke.
post #250 of 779
Where is my GOTT DANG MacBook Pro update?!
post #251 of 779
no camera? NO CAMERA? WHAT!

It should have 2 cameras...really disappointed.
post #252 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

But the ipad is too big to bring everywhere and also missing an attached keyboard.

Why bring this everywhere when i can get a 9 inch tablet / netbook that has a keyboard? One that can run full pc/(hacked apple osx) programs?

Apple would have done better making a netbook/convertable tablet.

This needed a revolutionary feature that they failed to deliver.

We'l talk about this in a year. Convertible tablets have tried and failed so many times, the user experience just isn't there. Same with netbooks, underpowered hardware trying to run desktop programs.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #253 of 779
No multitasking is a deal-breaker. Putting iWork on the iPad without any way to quickly bounce back and forth between different apps/sources really hamstrings it. I echo others who say this is just a big iPod Touch right now.

Well, first gen Apple products are rarely the most succesful versions of their products, here's hoping second gen will offer enough that I want to buy.
post #254 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]
The most compelling aspect of the iPad is the eReader/iWork combination, which allows a degree of productivity not afforded by the iPhone/Touch.
[/CENTER]

I agree. A camera and handwriting recognition - at a slightly higher price point, if needed - would have put it over the moon for me.
post #255 of 779
i'm going to wait for the iMaxiPad.

seriously though, they could have included some touch sensitive controls in that HUGE bezel - timeline scrub, volume up/down, scroll / game controls, etc.
post #256 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

No multitasking is a deal-breaker. Putting iWork on the iPad without any way to quickly bounce back and forth between different apps/sources really hamstrings it. I echo others who say this is just a big iPod Touch right now.

Well, first gen Apple products are rarely the most succesful versions of their products, here's hoping second gen will offer enough that I want to buy.

I'm surprised with the no multitasking, but hopeful that they are waiting to introduce it with iPhone OS 4.0. This device is still two months from shipping, things could change. V2 will definitely be better though.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #257 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Finally boys its here!!!!!!!! but oh that big f.ing bezel, why oh why, I was ready to adore this thing, and maybe I will but that bezel....

Well... you do need some space to put your fingers while holding it, and keeping fingers on touch-sensitive screen (while obscuring view) would be a bit impractical, to my opinion. No matter how relatively light this thing is, it is still much bigger and heavier than iPhone, thus need better support for holding it.

I don't mind size and shape, but... while it is OK product, it didn't wow me even remotely close to iPhone. It is basically bigger screen ipod touch with some new services and better iWork compatibility. Hopefully there will be MS Office-compatible application (fully featured) which would make it more useful for me, but even with that - I don't see enough differentiation to iPhone, at least not for my needs.
post #258 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Just a large iTouch.

And 1024 x 768 ??? WTF? Is this 2007?

132DPI is pretty decent resolution for most practical purposes, but my guess is that the display resolution (as well as the size) will go up in a future revision and this is part of the reason for the large bezel. 10.1" displays with 1366x768 resolution do exist, but they are in 16:9 form factor, which is not that great for a tablet device that may be mainly used in portrait orientation (for reading books, etc.)
post #259 of 779
Ordering one.

ABout what I thought it would be.
post #260 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i'm going to wait for the iMaxiPad.

seriously though, they could have included some touch sensitive controls in that HUGE bezel - timeline scrub, volume up/down, scroll / game controls, etc.

I think the huge bezel was intended to prevent you from accidentally interacting with the touch screen.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #261 of 779
I see this as a definite attack on the netbook front. Even the keynote slide where it shows an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook in line show that this is the area they are aiming for.

Pluses for me:
Slick UI, its where Apple always shines is on presentation.
Apple's own processor (though that is yet to be proven to be good, but I would expect such)
Price is actually somewhat reasonable.
Will have iWork apps (so some content creation) available.

Minuses:
Battery Life
Lack of camera for video chat (I could have seen that as a big thing)
Lack of multi-tasking
I highly doubt you can use other e-books other than the Apple ibook format. I would also doubt you can use the iBook format else where (prove me wrong please!)
Lots of wasted bezel space makes it look awkward.
Protective case will be extra (though at least a decent design)
iPhone OS, App Store: Means we have to play by Apple's very strict rules. Makes me curious how file organization will be done especially when it comes to attachments in mail.

Overall thoughts:
Nothing earth shattering to me. It looks nice on the outside, and probably will run really well like the other iPod/iPhone products. I don't like that its more restrictive than other netbooks, which seems to be its target audience. This is Apple's Netbook. You can even attach your bluetooth keyboard to it! Mainly, this is a media consuming device. Its meant to be the thing you grab and sit on the couch or on the plane/train ride to read, surf, watch videos, and play games... nothing that the iPhone/iPod Touch can't do right now. I was hoping for more, but expected exactly this.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #262 of 779
Very interesting device! Lots to like, lots missing. No phone capabilities on the 3G version? No camera for iChats? No mention of multitasking. Big-ass bevel along the edge.

But, lots of new stuff: iBookstore, iWork apps, very slim design, good entry point pricing.

I'd love to have one, but, may just hold off until iPad 2.0.
post #263 of 779
[CENTER]Like I said, I'll be buying one ASAP, but...

I really do wish that the iPad at least had:

1. a modern display aspect ratio (16x9 or16x10)

2. at least a front facing camera for video conferencing.

3. a media card reader of some sort

It's not like even the lowliest of (US 250.00) netbooks is lacking these modern computing device essentials.

Oh Well... That's Apple For Ya'

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #264 of 779
How about an Office set of apps for this, MSFT? That would be huge for the product......
post #265 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well... you do need some space to put your fingers while holding it, and keeping fingers on touch-sensitive screen (while obscuring view) would be a bit impractical, to my opinion. No matter how relatively light this thing is, it is still much bigger and heavier than iPhone, thus need better support for holding it.

That is a very good observation.

Keeping fingers away from the active area of the screen is also useful for minimizing the "dirt" on the visible part of the screen...
post #266 of 779
BOOOOO!! I expected so much more out of Apple but this is a huge disappointment!!

Get ready for a big fall in Apple Stock!

This is not a personal computer, it's an oversized iPod Touch!
post #267 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

no camera? NO CAMERA? WHAT!

It should have 2 cameras...really disappointed.

Why, so you can look like a jackass trying to take pictures holding a giant 10" device?
post #268 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How about an Office set of apps for this, MSFT? That would be huge for the product......

[CENTER]In many ways, I find iWork much better to use than MS Office, especially Apple Keynote.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #269 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

"Five big partners... Penguin, Macmillion, Simon & Shuster... and more."

LOL. McGraw-Hill got ditched from the presentation

I pretty much predicted that would happen. So, I guess it really is official now. The CEO of McGraw-Hill IS an idiot.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #270 of 779
no multitasking sucks

i can buy a netbook for less and listen to pandora and work at the same time. i can also play a movie, resize it and work at the same time. i can resize the hulu desktop app and work at the same time.
post #271 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I think the huge bezel was intended to prevent you from accidentally interacting with the touch screen.

This is an excellent point.
post #272 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How about an Office set of apps for this, MSFT? That would be huge for the product......

MS Office support, coupled with some kind of a physical interface to display presentations on a projector would make it possible for me to travel w/o my notebook, which would translate to an instant purchase. Yes, some LCD/DLP projectors have WiFi interface, but I haven't run into anyone who has actually used this, yet.
post #273 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Why, so you can look like a jackass trying to take pictures holding a giant 10" device?

[CENTER] No... So that one might video conference at their leisure - [/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #274 of 779
Agreed. I really wanted a fully functional (read Mac OS X) Apple-made tablet, but I think I'll have to settle on a 8.9" Asus Eee PC T91MT convertible netbook. It has multi-touch and you can write on it. And at $484 (Amazon) it's cheaper and I can get a 3G or 4G card from my cellular vendor of choice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

But the ipad is too big to bring everywhere and also missing an attached keyboard.

Why bring this everywhere when i can get a 9 inch tablet / netbook that has a keyboard? One that can run full pc/(hacked apple osx) programs?

Apple would have done better making a netbook/convertable tablet.

This needed a revolutionary feature that they failed to deliver.
post #275 of 779
Just saw that you can actually connect cameras or SD cards with an Apple accessory, as well as use Apple's Wireless Keyboard! Neat! Now it begins replacing the netbooks... if only it could do iChat.
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
post #276 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Thought it would be aimed at the Kindle, but it's really aimed at Netbooks.

I think Apple wants to aim it at netbooks because they'd like chunk of netbook market shoppers in Apple store, but it still looks more like Uber-Kindle to me... as in, it will primarily be device for viewing content, rather than creating it. Even with size, I can't see that onscreen keyboard being comfortable for long typing, and I feel netbooks are still easier to use on one's lap, where you can adjust angle between keyboard and screen.
post #277 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

BOOOOO!! I expected so much more out of Apple but this is a huge disappointment!!

Get ready for a big fall in Apple Stock!

This is not a personal computer, it's an oversized iPod Touch!

Yes, you should immediately sell AAPL short! I'll give you a loan at 35% interest when you get the call to cover...
post #278 of 779
To the poster above, it uses the ePub format for e... erm 'iBooks'.

Halfway through the video, it looks quite slick but may be lacking in features. Does it have a USB or SD card slot so I can move my photos onto it while on vacation? Does it have a file management system so I can manage my files made on iWork? Or will this all be managed through iTunes - the sore spot, but also biggest selling point of the device IMO.
post #279 of 779
Thank god for all the geniuses at this forum...... I guess I won't waste my time or money on this abject failure of a product.

Yes, not one iPad has been sold yet, but the geniuses here (you know who you are!) know that this product will be a total failure.

Why, I could buy a netbook and run ex pee and squeeze together my fingers on those tiny made of junk keyboards and it would cost so much less..... why would anyone in their right mind want an iPad???

As a matter of fact, I could have saved a lot of money in the past because these geniuses also said:

iPod was a joke, overpriced, and would never sell.
iPhone was overpriced, not a blackberry, on the crummy AT&T network and would fail.
App store would never catch on.
Apple Stores would fail.

As a matter of fact everything Apple sells is overpriced - you can get much cheaper hardware elsewhere, we are all foolish "fanboys" wasting our money. I mean, why drive a BMW when you can drive a Chevy Nova?

Elegance is unimportant
Quality is irrelevant
Design is meaningless
Value is only definable in dollars
Simplicity equals mediocrity.

Yes, THANK GOD for the geniuses that have been so kind to inform me today of how stupid and wasteful this and all Apple products are!!!
post #280 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Agreed. I really wanted a fully functional (read Mac OS X) Apple-made tablet, but I think I'll have to settle on a 8.9" Asus Eee PC T91MT convertible netbook. It has multi-touch and you can write on it. And at $484 (Amazon) it's cheaper and I can get a 3G or 4G card from my cellular vendor of choice.

[CENTER]If you really need a MacBook Tablet that badly, these guys can help you out...

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'