or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad' - Page 10

post #361 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It has a USB adapter, as well as an SD card adapter.

Sorry, I missed that. Where did you see it has a usb adapter and an sd card adapter option?
post #362 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

So how 'bout them outdated Macbook Pro's?

Why are they outdated, the current spec is less than a year old I believe? This was a keynote about a new product.
post #363 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

must... ...kill... ...(stupid, heavy, proprietary, never designed for video)....flash....

and when HTML 5 gets up to speed, hopefully so will everything else. I'm impressed Apple's sticking to this, as they obviously could have included it.

I am actually using iPhone to surf the web... and I am not impressed, in fact, I'm very annoyed. SJ's stubbornness is killing big part of my iPhone web experience. And I used to think Apple is all about experience.

I had some hopes iPhone 4 OS will have Flash support, but beside being disappointed it wasn't even mentioned during keynote (or was it?), after iPad missing Flash my hopes for next iPhone OS Flash-friendliness are very low...
post #364 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, put me in the extremely underwhelmed category as well.

All that talk about futuristic devices and how Apple was going to "solve" the tablet problem were misplaced it seems. I think this thing will sell like hotcakes at the price they are giving, but technologically speaking there is literally nothing new in this at all.

The bezel is just a joke. If they couldn't produce a device with a smaller bezel, then what's the point at all? They haven't "solved the tablet input problem" if you have to lay this silly thing down on an table top and peer into it like a wishing well to type.

The bezel makes the device just barely wide enough so that thumb typing is not an option. It's awkward keyboard typing on your lap or nothing. Notice how Jobs needed to be on the couch for it to work? Notice how they didn't even mention the portrait mode keyboard because if they did, you'd want to type on it and you'd immediately see the device is too wide for that.

It's literally a way to "couch surf" and not useable at all as a computer without the combo keyboard/dock. You can't effectively type on the thing standing up. You can't reasonably use it on a bus or a train. What's the friggin point of that?

Giant. iPod. Touch.
(with better apps).

yawn.

Think of a grid where on one axis is usage occasion/location (e.g. couch, kitchen, office desk, travel, vertical specific (hospital/warehouse etc.), school/college, etc.) and on the other axis, think use/application e.g. reading, viewing movies, email/chat, taking notes, creating content, productivity apps etc. Then start putting in where smartphones, netbooks and laptop do the best job in each cell of the grid. It is personal opinion of course but as I go through these, many are very poorly filled by these traditional appliances, and many are much better filled with an iPad.
Most of the reading uses in most locations are better with an iPad - laptop/netbook too big and cumbersome or screen too rubbish, iPhone/touch too small
Most of the uses at the couch or in the Kitchen or in hand at a business (not at a desk) will be delivered better with an iPad.
an Ipad and keyboard dock will work well in school for note taking (like a laptop) but the iPad will be a vastly better reading/annotating device for text books etc.
Travelling - for business, take a laptop, but for pleasure, the iPad may be all you need - reading/replying to email, updating social media, uploading photos etc (as long as you have the accessory for bringing photos across without iTunes), reading, surfing, light gaming etc.

Bottom line - the iPad fills in many gaps in usage and location that are poorly served by existing devices. It will NEVER replace those devices where they are strong (e.g. the iPhone in your pocket, the laptop at your desk doing large spreadsheets or Video editing etc.) but it has a ton of good uses. I for one will stop using the iphone on the couch to surf/read/play/watch etc. and avoid the RSI and eyestrain I currently get. My mom will get one to use in the kitchen for media, recipes, music etc. NOTE: docks, stands and accessories will be vital to success in many of these use cases but the Apple ecosystem will be on that in a heartbeat.

You won't buy it instead of a Macbook or an iPhone but as an addition to both - hence the 3rd category - Steve expects people/families to have all 3 - he hasn't been wrong so far

PS I agree with all those complaining about the lack of camera(s), gps (though it probably has faux-gps like iPhone 2G) and multitasking. Multitasking will hopefully come in 4.0, cameras and gps in v2 one would hope...
PPS The fat bezel is required to hold the damn thing - you can't hold it at the edges like an iPhone with one hand!!
post #365 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

WANT

And the price is right, too.

You are just going to have an ipad paperweight in a couple of years just like I had a newton paperweight after two years!
This has Newton debacle written all over it! Very underwhelming hardware!
post #366 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzentosh View Post

Sorry, I missed that. Where did you see it has a usb adapter and an sd card adapter option?

On the official web site - most of people's complaints written above are unfounded. This thing works on all mobile networks, has bluetooth and EDR, N networking and will support the current range of bluetooth keyboards from Apple, so your desktop keyboard will work just fine with the iPad (Hate the name btw)

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
post #367 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Wonder if you could tether the iPhone to this...both have Bluetooth after all.

Just turn your iPhone into a WiFi hot spot using commonly available tools.
post #368 of 779
When it has a built in camera for video conferencing, a CF flash card slot, and 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity for drawing and manipulating photos (of course that also requires Photoshop support), I'm in. Next up for me though looks like a 17' MBPro. Still, many will find this meets all their needs and then some. Beautiful device for a 1st round offering. Name sux though
post #369 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

You just fed the trolls and gave them exactly what they live off of: the satisfaction of knowing they're annoying someone.

Best way to get rid of them is to totally ignore them and not acknowledge their presence in any way.

Believe me I have tried. But this is getting ridiculous.

Why is it that every article AI posts the same bunch of ah's spew their garbage every time?

Right now their a more trollers here than ever before. This site is going to go the way of Macworld unless somebody puts there foot down and starts weeding out the shit.

Perhaps they should rename this site to AppleOutsider. It would be more appropriately named for the audience that most frequently comes here.
post #370 of 779
I was really excited until I found out there is no cam. Bummer
post #371 of 779
At what point has SJ stated that he doesn't want flash on this new device. At what point has Adobe stated it isn't developing flash for this device?

A lot of people arguing about an issue which may turn out to be a non-issue. This machine is powerful enough and if it runs the full version of Safari, then why won't flash run on it? I see no reason - has anyone tried yet?
post #372 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You raise an interesting point. How would I connect it to a projector for my Keynote presentations? I hope there's some reasonably easy way...... another adapter, I suppose.....

There is mention of a "dock connector to VGA adapter" on the Specifications page!
post #373 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post

4. I'm a little concerned about viewing the screen. As mentioned, I spend loads of time on my commute and enjoy using the iphone for watching movies, but reading text has not been so fun for me, even with Stanza. It seems to strain the eyes significantly. Also, when I use my iphone at night (setting the clock or something) with the lights out, I'm significantly "blinded" when I turn it off. Same on the bus-- when it's fairly dark, the iphone seems too bright. I never really cared whether the product kills the kindle or not, but I was hoping that they could reduce the eye strain somehow.

It comes with the accessibility feature "white on black". Not sure if there is a 'shortcut to this command' (would be good), so you'll probably still be blinded at night, but at least you can read white on black and thus reduce eyestrain. On the bus, metro, tube, whatever, this feature will just increase the reflection, however.
post #374 of 779
Nice bunch of posts folks. The device isn't even where you can get at it, you have had limited and isolated exposure to it with an highlighted feature set. Good objective analysis. Oh well. On the other hand if your needs are so completely out-of-hand that you can decide before even testing the device for real, good for you! This is targeted at the average consumer, not a bunch of geeks like us - we are a minority in the market. So typing for hours? Hell no. I don't even dictate for hours. Forward facing camera for webchatting, nice idea but hardly a must-have. And the huge, grotesque, fat ugly bezel! Who in blazes puts running tracks like that on their devices nowadays! Is Jony Ive on drugs or something??? Holy cow! And all the Apple stock draining value, who those poor stockholder watching their virtual money virtually disappear. Look at all that profit announced on Monday draining away on Wednesday.

Well not actually. Apple stock at the time of this post was at 207.96USD, so nice try but fail on the stock devalue. I guess I would take Jony Ive designed crap over anything most of you could design at your best - he has an incredible track record established. And I am so very happy most of you don't design for Apple to begin with. I can only imagine the kind of interface, and hardware you would devise. Nope, gonna wait until I can play with one of these little buggers for myself before passing judgement. Yeah - like a smart, educated consumer would do. Yep.
post #375 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It isn't that great.

1. Its not a game changer

2. Its nothing more then a larger iPod Touch

3. It can't work as a Mac. No version of iLife or iWorks like rumored. It has no real processing power.

4. Unlike some have mentioned its not powerful enough for Slate computing to take over notebooks.

5. They can bundle it with Apple Tv and try and sell it at Costco because thats the only way they are going to make money on this.

Then you should ignore the product and don't buy it, easy right?
post #376 of 779
I'm guessing that since the iPad has no USB port, only the dock connector, we probably won't be able to sync our iPhones or iPods with this thing. I thought it would be neat to make the iPad the central media "hub" instead of the laptop or desktop. But now the iPad will just be another device that needs to be synced separately from the iPhone or iPod.
post #377 of 779
i currently subscribe to O2 'internet tethering' to link my iphone and MBP for data on the move. Has anyone seen whether the 'ipad' can be tethered in the same way?
post #378 of 779
Quote:

On the official web site - most of people's complaints written above are unfounded. This thing works on all mobile networks, has bluetooth and EDR, N networking and will support the current range of bluetooth keyboards from Apple, so your desktop keyboard will work just fine with the iPad (Hate the name btw)

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Ah, thanks, didn't see it.

One point: pretty sure it won't work on Verizon, no CDMA.
post #379 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

To the people complaining about the $500 price and an apparent lack of features, I present you with a reality check in the joojoo. Controversy aside, it is a $500 internet device witha whole 4GB of storage.

Have they sold any so far?
post #380 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

What we got here is enlarged evolved iPod touch. More than a little disappointed. I expected something revolutionary, not evolutionary, especially with all the hype.

None of the hype was generated by Apple.
post #381 of 779
Gotta love Steve's spiel: "way better than a laptop, way better than a phone,"

Except it accomplishes neither and will replace neither, but then again, Apple does not WANT to replace any of its existing products. It makes no sense for the company to do so.

This is a nice glorified iTouch for some folks, but with good Android Tablets coming out soon, Apple will have stiff competition from the get-go and will not have the dominance that it did with the iPhone.

Snapdragon or even faster Android Tablets with high res screens and better specs will likely undercut the iPad. There will be an initial rush of buyers, but Apple needs to up the specs soon, or this thing will die out quickly.

The IPS screen is really nice and unexpected though.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #382 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Thats all cool and all...But no new MBP's? COME ON! Lame Apple, real lame.

Ah well, at least this'll make me own a *current* MBP for a few more months...
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #383 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyindenver View Post

When it has a built in camera for video conferencing, a CF flash card slot, and 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity for drawing and manipulating photos (of course that also requires Photoshop support), I'm in. Next up for me though looks like a 17' MBPro. Still, many will find this meets all their needs and then some. Beautiful device for a 1st round offering. Name sux though

I COMPLETELY agree with the built in camera - this is the one downer for me. HOWEVER - to compare this device with a 17" MBP? I think you're missing the point. Also, CF is dumped - canon now use SD, Nikon use SD - this is a niche market, but I'm pretty sure you'll see a CF adapter to accompany the SD and USB adapters already available.

The device you're after is a cross between a cintiq tablet and a mac pro - so go buy them - what serious graphic designer (I am one) is going to use a 10" screen to run Adobe CS4, or Quark?. This device is $499, not $4990. I do see a use for this as a presentation and communications tool when out on the road or on a photoshoot, or presenting design work to clients via a projector.

It's a home/consumer device not a pro/pro-sumer work horse, and never will be.
post #384 of 779
A nice peace and design object. But I am disappointed to see nothing about i5 updated MBPs. Apple's priorities are increasingly towards the home & entertainment segment, professional users increasingly find themselves to be also-rans.
post #385 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Nope, gonna wait until I can play with one of these little buggers for myself before passing judgement. Yeah - like a smart, educated consumer would do. Yep.

I don't need to play with anthrax to predetermine that it probably is no good.
post #386 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, put me in the extremely underwhelmed category as well.

All that talk about futuristic devices and how Apple was going to "solve" the tablet problem were misplaced it seems. I think this thing will sell like hotcakes at the price they are giving, but technologically speaking there is literally nothing new in this at all.

The bezel is just a joke. If they couldn't produce a device with a smaller bezel, then what's the point at all? They haven't "solved the tablet input problem" if you have to lay this silly thing down on an table top and peer into it like a wishing well to type.

The bezel makes the device just barely wide enough so that thumb typing is not an option. It's awkward keyboard typing on your lap or nothing. Notice how Jobs needed to be on the couch for it to work? Notice how they didn't even mention the portrait mode keyboard because if they did, you'd want to type on it and you'd immediately see the device is too wide for that.

It's literally a way to "couch surf" and not useable at all as a computer without the combo keyboard/dock.† You can't effectively type on the thing standing up. You can't reasonably use it on a bus or a train. What's the friggin point of that?

Giant. iPod. Touch.
(with better apps).

yawn.

Have you watched the videos and viewed the specs?

Quote:
Accessories
There are lots of great accessories that have been specifically designed for iPad. The Keyboard Dock, for instance, is a dock with a full-size keyboard. There’s also a standalone Dock. And because iPad has built-in Bluetooth 2.1, it’ll work with an Apple Wireless Keyboard, too. There’s also a Camera Connection Kit that lets you import photos from a camera or SD card. There’s even an iPad Case that not only protects it, it also allows you to use iPad in various positions, to make it easy to type, look at photos, or watch movies. And through a range of accessories, iPad can output to TVs, projectors and displays. Learn more about iPad accessories in Tech Specs*

http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/

Lots of stuff if only people could take the time and read.

*http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

[B]Keyboard/iPad dock
http://static.arstechnica.com/ipad_event/IMG_0056.JPG
http://static.arstechnica.com/ipad_event/IMG_0057.JPG
post #387 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Then you should ignore the product and don't buy it, easy right?

So constructive criticism is completely verboten now? In other words, for web forums, as in real life, if you have nothing positive to say, then say nothing at all?
post #388 of 779
Well if you are really having a hard time dealing with the lack of un-dying support for anything that is Apple branded, maybe you should try starting your own website. Then you could apply your fascist ideals all you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Believe me I have tried. But this is getting ridiculous.

Why is it that every article AI posts the same bunch of ah's spew their garbage every time?

Right now their a more trollers here than ever before. This site is going to go the way of Macworld unless somebody puts there foot down and starts weeding out the shit.

Perhaps they should rename this site to AppleOutsider. It would be more appropriately named for the audience that most frequently comes here.
post #389 of 779
Quote:

.. but with N networking built in

I just saw this on the specs page. Nice catch. That is huge! Hope it is a sign of things to come for the iPhone, Im due for un upgrade in June!!

I do realize that for almost every device, someone is going to need something it doesnt have. iSight may be a big letdown for some, but I suspect Apple is looking at usability and necessity in these devices in order to reach the price-point that the majority want and would buy at.

Its a lose-lose. If 2 cameras, USB, SD, fresh OS, toaster and car wash were all included and the price was $1500, this would be a different forum altogether.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #390 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

So constructive criticism is completely verboten now? In other words, for web forums, as in real life, if you have nothing positive to say, then say nothing at all?

The numbers will work themselves out, all the other products on the market, your Archos, Joojoo's, we'll see which product takes off and moves the market, will it be the iPad? only time will tell. If there is any multimedia device I purchase, it will be the iPad. Nothing else compares.
post #391 of 779
This looks like it could be a VERY interesting consumer device.

Sure, tablets in one form or another have been around for ages, but they were the kind of thing spotty faced geeks might play with for a bit and soon get bored with because they couldn't do anything useful with them, not the sort of thing your wife or g/f or kids or mom will be lusting after and putting top of their Christmas lists for the next few years, and trust me, they WILL lust after the iPad. Big time. Minimalist styling and a silky smooth design that fits smoothly in the hand is EXACTLY what they want. Better start saving now...

"Only a big iPod Touch"... right. So what from a marketing perspective is wrong with that? Any idea exactly how many iPods are out there, and how many millions and millions of people are already familiar with the interface? Not to mention 100,000 apps available for it from day one.

No camera and video iChat? This is the 1st gen device, they're here for the long haul. And that's before you factor in things like eBooks and micropayments for magazine subscriptions.

I too was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw the specs, but the more I think about it the more convinced I am this will be HUGE and that in 3 or 4 years the iPad will be as ubiquitous as iPods are today.
post #392 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Gotta love Steve's spiel: "way better than a laptop, way better than a phone,"

Except it accomplishes neither and will replace neither, but then again, Apple does not WANT to replace any of its existing products. It makes no sense for the company to do so.

The IPS screen is really nice and unexpected though.

It's not set out to replace anything, it's a new level of device.

Think of it this way. A majority of home computer users browse the web, email, play music and video and might want to read magazines/books. It does this better and faster than the iPhone or a laptop/netbook - it's focussed on these functions alone and this will make an easier to use device for the average computer user who doesn't want to learn to operate a computer (there are lots of them about). It's focussed, it doesn't have the full OS, it doesn't run every work application that a professional needs, nor should it ever try to.

Serious gamers have X-BOX and PS-3 - so this is a fun gaming device, but it's not designed to replace HD connected super powered games consoles, it's for the casual gamer, it's for the casual user.

I've been waiting for a device like this for ages - i don't like laptops, my desktop does the real work. If this thing connects to airport express and streams my music to a decent sound system while i check my emails or read a book/article on the screen, then that's all I want at home - I'll leave the working day at the desk. It's also perfect for people like my (not quite so young anymore) parents who are scared by difficult to operate computers. Turn it on - press a button, do what you want. It will just work.
post #393 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is probably the last we'll see of Steve. I can't believe he actually thinks this is the best thing Apple has ever created. What a lame product. Maybe some people need this, not me. The functionality is pretty weak in my opinion.

The functionality is pretty weak, but for the price, its very cool.
post #394 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

MS Office support, coupled with some kind of a physical interface to display presentations on a projector would make it possible for me to travel w/o my notebook, which would translate to an instant purchase. Yes, some LCD/DLP projectors have WiFi interface, but I haven't run into anyone who has actually used this, yet.

I don't see MS Office for this coming any time soon.

Only if Apple manages to sell huge number of them and make creating iPad Office profitable... but until then, MS will ignore it. They still have (high?) hopes for Win 7 tablets, Courier is not officially dead, and no one knows if MS is also not lingering with ideas to expand Zune into tablet form... so helping competition in this early stage would not be smart move.
post #395 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

You probably think the Google Nexus One is cool...

Doesn't everybody?
post #396 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Have you watched the videos and viewed the specs?...

This is not a helpful response. What do you mean? Of course I have seen the specs.
post #397 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

No multi-tasking would be so disappointing.

Yep. IMO, that relegates it to toy status. But for $499, it looks like a fun toy.
post #398 of 779
Quote:

I COMPLETELY agree with the built in camera - this is the one downer for me. HOWEVER - to compare this device with a 17" MBP? I think you're missing the point. Also, CF is dumped - canon now use SD, Nikon use SD - this is a niche market, but I'm pretty sure you'll see a CF adapter to accompany the SD and USB adapters already available.

The device you're after is a cross between a cintiq tablet and a mac pro - so go buy them - what serious graphic designer (I am one) is going to use a 10" screen to run Adobe CS4, or Quark?. This device is $499, not $4990. I do see a use for this as a presentation and communications tool when out on the road or on a photoshoot, or presenting design work to clients via a projector.

It's a home/consumer device not a pro/pro-sumer work horse, and never will be.

I wasn't comparing it with a MBPro 17". Simply saying that, for my needs, this falls short that's all. I own a MBPro and an Intuos tablet. It would be nice to have one device to take the place of those 2, and the iPad won't (at least yet) do that. If I'm traveling and want to do some quick photo editing on the plane or in the field, do you think I'm going to hook up my Intuos to a MacBook? Hell no. The iPad *could* have allowed me to do this on one, slick compact device. It will come, but we're not there yet. So until then, I'm going to invest in a a more capable device. The iPad will close the gap and become more appealing (and capable) to me I'm guessing on it's 2nd or 3rd rev, just like the iPhone did. But for now, it really doesn't add anything for me I can't already do on my Mac or my iPhone. It's got to be able to replace something to make it worthwhile, not just be yet another device in my possession that doesn't do anything more than what I already own.
post #399 of 779
No camera?

Can you imagine how much better this would have been as a Video Conference Tool.

I'm pretty sure, the lack of a camera, is because of the cost, and this gives them at least one nice up-grade.

Not sure if this is what "Steve will be remembered for"? Its a good start, but it's lacking so many things that folks wanted.

Speaking of Steve, he looked pretty good?

So a late summer early fall model: ($800.00 price range)

- Camera
- iChat (or something a bit more professional sounding)
- fill in the blanks?
-
-
-
-
post #400 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Just turn your iPhone into a WiFi hot spot using commonly available tools.

That's the second time (at least) that you've posted it. Can you explain how?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'