or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad' - Page 18

post #681 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I'm sure there are tradeoffs for allowing multitasking, which I would rather not have to accept for the tiny minority who want it, so they can listen to Pandora, who will probably never buy an iPad in the 1st place.

You're trolling, right? Either that or you're just stubbornly refusing to apply any logic to the situation.

There is ZERO trade off for you if multitasking is allowed as an OPTION for advanced users and you choose not to enable it. There is a world of benefit beyond listening to Pandora in the background (but hey, that's a nice benefit in and of itself) for those willing to make the tradeoff.

OS X (even the mobile version on iPhones/iPods/iPads) is unix-based and designed from the ground up as a multiuser multitasking OS. The phone already supports multitasking for Apple apps. All we want is the OPTION to enable it for other apps.

Give an intelligent, coherent explanation of why having that as an OPTION is a bad thing for those of you who wouldn't enable it in the first place.
post #682 of 779
some people here have no idea what they are talking about with netbooks do they. Guess uncle steves comments are the ultimate truth for some.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #683 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

You're trolling, right? Either that or you're just stubbornly refusing to apply any logic to the situation.

There is ZERO trade off for you if multitasking is allowed as an OPTION for advanced users and you choose not to enable it. There is a world of benefit beyond listening to Pandora in the background (but hey, that's a nice benefit in and of itself) for those willing to make the tradeoff.

OS X (even the mobile version on iPhones/iPods/iPads) is unix-based and designed from the ground up as a multiuser multitasking OS. The phone already supports multitasking for Apple apps. All we want is the OPTION to enable it for other apps.

Give an intelligent, coherent explanation of why having that as an OPTION is a bad thing for those of you who wouldn't enable it in the first place.

If there were no trade-off, why, then has multi-tasking for 3rd-party apps been excluded? Surely the Apple engineers know what works best with the products they developed, no?
post #684 of 779
Quote:

If there were no trade-off, why, then has multi-tasking for 3rd-party apps been excluded? Surely the Apple engineers know what works best with the products they developed, no?

It's a business decision, not a technical one.
post #685 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There is no language called 'Indian.'

Scrapped already..?

My apology for being clueless - what language or languages are being used in India?
post #686 of 779
Quote:

If the best you can do is throw out "Apple knows best" type comments, then I say again, you're either trolling, or a mindless fanboy. Either way, it's pointless to continue with you. I'm sorry I took the bait in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Exactly, and it's one that will hurt them in the long run.
post #687 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Scrapped already..?

My apology for being clueless - what language or languages are being used in India?

Hindi is the official language.

Google it, but there seems to be about a dozen other recognized languages spoken there.

post #688 of 779
Quote:

How so?
post #689 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

A couple of thoughts. One is that Apple nailed the most important detail, namely price.

The basic model with 16G and no 3G will still be quite useful for many of us. That Apple got the pricing right and still will deliver a good quality, decent-sized screen, is rather impressive.

The other thought is that this device could, potentially, help bring about a resurgence in the popularity of the desktop. A desktop system in combination with the iPad makes a lot of sense. More portable than a laptop and with better battery life. By not trying to be a computer that happens to work anywhere, the device eliminates some of the trade-offs that laptops impose on us. At the same time, it is a handy product that does a lot of what people were in fact using laptops for.

Compared to a PC netbook, this thing will look good. My netbook can barely deliver two hours of battery life and it has a significantly inferior display. It's running inferior technology (no LED backlighting or IPS) and a resolution of 1024X600 compared to the iPad's 1024X768. The iPad is more money but also a higher-quality device all around. Also, longer battery life means fewer charge cycles and that means the battery will take a lot longer to wear out and require replacing. Over the long haul, that could offset the initial higher price.

This device will be very successful because Apple gets it, especially when it comes to price. As a shareholder, I'm quite pleased.

Ouch, isn't there something wrong with your netbook? Most units I have seen recently will go for 6 to 10 hours, and have LED screens (though no IPS). Additionaly, I think that 3G option is not that expensive.

Netbooks are slower (and arguably of lower quality), but they do come with keyboard (which is extra cost for iPad) and much greater storage. They can also run software I do require and can't have for iPad at present (Lightroom, Office, comics reader) and will behave on the network (as in being able to copy files from and to shared network locations) and work with external storage.

Those things are big must for me. I'm sure iPad will gather it's army of satisfied owners, but such as it is, it is not for me \

To be honest, netbooks are not my number either, but ULV units like http://www.asus.co.nz/product.aspx?P...wAK6XZ0pekc7aI do strike right notes for me.
post #690 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Is it wrong to consider this device a "Kindle killer"?

Only if it manages to kill Kindle.
post #691 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I don't think the price is particularly good either. Since this device is intended principally for the consumption of visual media, nothing less than the 64gb version is likely going to be adequate.

That's $699 to start with.

Case - got to have the case - what's that - another $30?

$729

Got to have the SD card adapter and the USB one - that's $20 each.

$769

Keyboard and stand - got some reports to catch up on - got to have the keyboard - That's $60.

$829

$1 - the cost of the bullet to shoot myself with when I realise I could have had a Macbook for only $170 more.

Ending of your post - priceless!
post #692 of 779
While the Ipad has a lot of features and lack others, the real advantage of a "giant iphone touch" is mobility. Many professionals do not sit all day in a cubicle punching a keyboard, on a computer which is sitting on a table. The killer feature is the simplicity, easy interface and most importantly--the mobility of the device.

Doctors, nurses, construction foreman, fireman, clerks, waitresses, police officers, soldiers, mothers, farmers...(you get what I am saying)... need the ability to access and enter information quickly, on the run, without having to use a keyboard. Most dedicated profession-specific hardware/software are very expensive. Each ipad can be customized for any job description at a very low price or run it just the way it is.

It's true that most gear heads on this site will not need it, but for the average working person this will be phenomenal. No doubt it will sell well for as a novelty or for home use, but it will also sell well for the workers who work on their feet.

JoeG
post #693 of 779
Quote:

But apart from all of that, ya, sure, the average netbook has it all over the iTab. I mean as long as you don't intend to use either the netbook or iPad to browse, read, watch movies, or play games, well, in that case, the netbook is the better deal.

I don't play games, but I can't agree with some of your other points. What makes the iPad superior for movies? The display's aspect ratio is all wrong, being old-style 1.33:1. The average netbook has a 1.7:1 screen, close to the 1.78:1 (16:9) ratio of HDTV, and the nearly identical diagonal measurement means it's actually wider than the iPad display, so both factors combine to give you a bigger picture with less letterboxing. I can and have played 720p AVC videos back just fine on my Wind, using VLC. As for browsing, I don't consider being unable to view Flash animations as being a good thing. Sure, most of it is gimmickry sold to the site owners by Flash designers, but there's also useful stuff like some interactive features on the NY Times or zoomable previews of merchandise. I also personally consider a keyboard essential for Web browsing. I type and modify a lot of URLs by hand. It's different if you're just relying on bookmarks and clicking on links. Composing longer emails (either via IMAP in Mail or on a webmail site like Gmail or Yahoo) would also be a pain in the neck without a regular keyboard.
post #694 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Can the 'Pad do that? That seems like a huge stretch for iOS.

TROLL

Nice signature, mate
post #695 of 779
This thread is still going? Wow.

I have to say, every time I've used my iPod touch today, my first impression has been that it's like a tiny iPad.
post #696 of 779
Quote:

Your typical netbook will offer a vastly inferior browsing experience, be far inferior at displaying movies, be heavier, last not nearly as long, have significantly inferior battery life, be less engaging as a gaming platform, and cost more to load up with software, thanks to price gouging by major software developers on the PC side like Microsoft.

The last update to the OS the iTab will run off cost, if memory serves, around $10. A far cry from the more than $100 it cost me and many others to upgrade to Windows 7.

But apart from all of that, ya, sure, the average netbook has it all over the iTab. I mean as long as you don't intend to use either the netbook or iPad to browse, read, watch movies, or play games, well, in that case, the netbook is the better deal.

You haven't actually used a netbook have you?

Browsers, take your pick: IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc. I prefer Chrome.
For video, how many file types can the iPad natively playback, h.264? Install VLC on a netbook, and playback just about anything.

Battery life - not that much of a difference, Asus has some of their EeePC's that get up to 9 hours on a 6-cell battery.

The iPad is thinner and lighter, but my netbook has 3 USB ports, VGA, ethernet, and 2 card readers, as well as audio in/out. Weighs less than 3 pounds.

Gaming on most netbooks are poor, but if you get one with Nvidia's Ion (9400m), it's the same exact GPU used by Apple is most of their computers.
post #697 of 779
Quote:

Your typical netbook will offer a vastly inferior browsing experience,

Inferior by being able to present 100% of all web pages content? And giving me option to use Safari, IE, Opera, Crome, Firefox... with all the plug-ins I got used to have? Right.

Quote:
be far inferior at displaying movies,

By being able to run VLC and support pretty much any codec out there? Um... right....

Quote:
be heavier,

Weight difference between iPad and average netbooks can be important... to newborns?

Quote:
last not nearly as long, have significantly inferior battery life

That is plain wrong - 10 hours netbooks are not hard to find nowadays. But lets wait and see how iPad battery holds in real life - might be better, might be worst from what we were told.

Quote:
be less engaging as a gaming platform, and cost more to load up with software, thanks to price gouging by major software developers on the PC side like Microsoft.

How can possibility to run WOW and other full-size titles (granted you do need ION based netbook with dual core Atom) be less engaging? We still even don't know what exclusive game titles will be made available on iPad.
post #698 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

Hindi is the official language.

Google it, but there seems to be about a dozen other recognized languages spoken there.

Heck, I actually new that.

Cheers.
post #699 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

You haven't actually used a netbook have you?

Browsers, take your pick: IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc. I prefer Chrome.
For video, how many file types can the iPad natively playback, h.264? Install VLC on a netbook, and playback just about anything.

Battery life - not that much of a difference, Asus has some of their EeePC's that get up to 9 hours on a 6-cell battery.

The iPad is thinner and lighter, but my netbook has 3 USB ports, VGA, ethernet, and 2 card readers, as well as audio in/out. Weighs less than 3 pounds.

Gaming on most netbooks are poor, but if you get one with Nvidia's Ion (9400m), it's the same exact GPU used by Apple is most of their computers.

Ouch... I pretty much duplicated your post.
post #700 of 779
Quote:

How so?

The iPhone can multi-task fine and the iPad will be far more capable. There is no technical limitation in allowing some form of 3rd party app multi-tasking.

That means the business made a decision to not allow it. People who enjoy wearing tin-foil hats will say it was purely to protect revenue and die hard apple fans will say it's solely to enhance the user experience. The truth is likely somewhere in between.
post #701 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The lack of multi-tasking is totally indefensible. You Apple fanboys simply have no ground to stand on here.

I don't think it's indefensible. One of the worst things on a portable device would be getting invected with a virus, but if programs aren't allowed to stay running once you quit them, that limits the chance of spread. I also find the battery life argument compelling.

I hate the way on my Mac every program installs it's own freaking background daemon these days. EyeTV Helper, Google Updater, Something font manager ... I'm glad that crap will not be allowed on the tablet.
post #702 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Weighs less than 3 pounds.

My MacBook Air, with a full-size keyboard, huge screen, weighs exactly 3 pounds, almost the same as your thingy. The ports and other stuff you listed have never been a problem for me in two years of pro work, and likely are not a big deal to many users, thus the choice.

The iPad weighs half that. And it runs iWork. I give quite a few presentations and Keynote blows any other presentation app away, period. Oh, the iPad does have a video connector cable. But for some presentations (try over lunch), you can actually pass the thing around the table with ease.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #703 of 779
Quote:

No student is going to churn out a 5000 worder on an iPad... if they try I suspect the last few hundred words may be written with the blood of their cracked and dismembered finger tips.

Assuming they have parents that have enough money to buy them one, it would be more likely they'll sit under a tree or lay in bed reading textbooks and researching on the internet using the iPad before going back to an iMac\\Macbook to actually write the essay.

For business... well some maybe. Assuming the iPad actually supports whatever you have written the presentation in it would be fine. However you won't be creating the presentation using the iPad, which would essentially make it a $499 input device for your projector. Something the higher up execs would go for, but I can't see many businesses accepting it across the board.

Um... have you seen the keyboard attachment? Makes it all very easy!
post #704 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

f. flash. forget about it. It's crap, and html 5 specifications just do away with it. Nobody gives a flying f. about flash anymore, even once flash websites have stopped using it, it's not user friendly, it's a hog on resources, there's a whole list on way flash sucks.

Perhaps but if you go to ABC on your notebook, you can watch almost all their shows as well as other networks and cable. It's so much smaller in file size, that's why they use it.

For children, almost all of their sites be it educational to games are all flash.
It's time to bury this hatchet and put it on these devices.
post #705 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by joguide View Post

I think Steve Job and company are master psychologists, and the most vocal critics fall prey to their ruse. First create hype which can not possibly be met. Second, make a product but hold back some key features (with the understanding that a even the most perfection product will be met with harsh criticism). Third before the actual product release, or after the first generation product, reintroduce the most key features that critics have been most vocal about.

Critics become neutered. In fact with Apple style Jujitsu, the critics become ardent supporters because their voice was heard. The critics have not yet realized that they are being played.

By the way, ipad looks great. It will become indispensable in the healthcare world as the government is mandating electonic medical records (multi-billion dollar business), both as hand held electonic chart and medical image viewing station. With modifications it can be ecg machine, and possibly sonography machine.

College students will demand it as a replacement for text books. It will also be the wireless passport to your home entertainment center to control TV and stereo. You will find it in restaurants, carried by waiters who put in your orders wireless. Military applications are obvious. Store clerks will complete your credit card purchase with a modified Ipads. Make a docking station for the car dash, plug it in the speakers and you have a music/video/GPS touchscreen device better than anything on the automarket at a fraction of the cost.

While not as powerful as a laptop, Ipad will be the blank canvas to do whatever you want with it. No opening laptops, waiting for it to turn on. No need for a desk or table to work the computer, it will be in your hand anytime with touch screen ready to go. It will be the interface between information/data and the user. The potential is there, it just need developers to see the opportunities to make a boat load of money. Get cracking.

JoeG

JoeG

I think your right on with your thinking. iPad has lot's of potential. Apple has given the basic hardware and software and now it's up to other people to come up with great ideas on how it can be use. I'm very impressed what developers have come up with the iphone and itouch with their little screens. Now to have a larger screen and better operating system the possibilities for this device seem only limited by people's imagination. I think that's why Steve Jobs see's the iPad as a device that can be highly successful.
post #706 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by joguide View Post

While the Ipad has a lot of features and lack others, the real advantage of a "giant iphone touch" is mobility. Many professionals do not sit all day in a cubicle punching a keyboard, on a computer which is sitting on a table. The killer feature is the simplicity, easy interface and most importantly--the mobility of the device.

Doctors, nurses, construction foreman, fireman, clerks, waitresses, police officers, soldiers, mothers, farmers...(you get what I am saying)... need the ability to access and enter information quickly, on the run, without having to use a keyboard. Most dedicated profession-specific hardware/software are very expensive. Each ipad can be customized for any job description at a very low price or run it just the way it is.

It's true that most gear heads on this site will not need it, but for the average working person this will be phenomenal. No doubt it will sell well for as a novelty or for home use, but it will also sell well for the workers who work on their feet.

JoeG

You are 100% accurate. You ever see how the doctor writes Rx's now? They sometimes give you a hardcopy if it's a scheduled II but then they send it via their computer. Now ask, how much easier would it be if they had a stylus or a nurse making her rounds and just needs to not down a few notes. I think one will come.

Personaly, all I wanted was Flash and voice to text recognition.
A stylus would be a perk. Makes me wonder if the microsoft device "Courier" is real, if so, that could also do well, especially if it has flash but would not be to fond of that divider in the middle if I decided to watch The Forgotten while waiting for a plane.

The other no so great thing is storage. I can see this getting filed, real quick.
post #707 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

There are already several printing apps which allow you to print from iPhone and the iTouch available from the app store. I see no reason why the iPad would be any different.

I meant now there has to be a way of working with files that is different with the iPad versus the iPhone or iTouch. Because you will be creating on the iPad and you will need to be able to move files from it to other computers for back up or further manipulation.
post #708 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

This thread is still going? Wow.

I have to say, every time I've used my iPod touch today, my first impression has been that it's like a tiny iPad.

ironic eh? Just a few days ago eveyone was saying "...please don't give us a giant iPod...then some stated no way would Apple do that, not with ALL their innovations". Yet here we are with a device that probably most could have come up with if it was just stretching the iPod. I know, I know, it's different but it's not that far off.

I was actually stunned when I saw it. It poked Ike a giant iPhone or the device HP released a few weeks back.
post #709 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Maybe with version 2.

Indeed. Unles they can make sie major changes now and not try to mik us again withthe same product but with camera, flash bulb, flash support, multitasking. These are sie things they could do before release I bet, if they wanted to.
post #710 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Troll or not, 1 post whatever. Everything he wrote is true though...

Who. Where? To many pages to read. Post number, page?
Thanks. Curios to see what a one poster posted.
post #711 of 779
I've read so many bad reviews about iPad on the net.

This one offers a breath of fresh air:

8 Reasons Why You Should Buy Apple iPad

I like the survey results parts. Very informative
post #712 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think it's indefensible. One of the worst things on a portable device would be getting invected with a virus, but if programs aren't allowed to stay running once you quit them, that limits the chance of spread.

If a virus actually makes it onto your device, it's going to install itself as a root process and allow itself to multitask/run-in-the-background just like every other root process and Apple app is allowed to do. You do realize that the iPhone/iPod, and likely the iPad, are constantly running numerous processes all the time, right? If they weren't you wouldn't get background notifications, SMS messages, incoming phone calls, iPod music playback while doing other things, etc, etc.

Your statement is a very poor reason to allow background 3rd party applications, but would be an argument to support the only-Apple-certified-applications-allowed-on-the-device position.

Quote:

I also find the battery life argument compelling.

Compelling in what way? Do you have any evidence that allowing third party applications in and of itself kills battery life significantly faster than not? It's what the app is doing in the background that matters, not that it is running idle or waiting for some trigger to do something.

You find it compelling despite my previous posts that the Android OS's battery monitor shows that the vast majority (typically 70%+) of battery drain is from the DISPLAY, with the next largest drain being "Cell standby"? You find it compelling despite Crackberry users reporting that they multitask a dozen applications per day with no significant battery drain? You find it compelling despite jailbreakers reporting that they multitask numerous apps with no significant drain unless they're backgrounding radio or GPS intensive apps?

You find it so compelling that you won't even acknowledge it could be an advanced user option for those willing to make some trade off in battery life vs multitasking?

Really?

Quote:

very program installs it's own freaking background daemon these days. EyeTV Helper, Google Updater, Something font manager ... I'm glad that crap will not be allowed on the tablet.

All that crap that makes your applications and computer more useful, huh?

Do you understand how Unix based operating systems work?

Are you aware that the vast majority of daemons, once started, essentially terminate by becoming a child process of the init process, and they only become active when init gets a call to them from some external source? I'm no expert, but that's my basic understanding.

Have you checked Activity Monitor on your Mac to see just how much of your precious CPU time those awful daemons are using up? The lower the CPU usage, the less battery.

My MacBook Pro has been running for 2 days 15 hours according to the "uptime" command in Terminal. Activity Monitor shows the typical daemon has less than 10 minutes total CPU time, and most in the 2-3 minutes range. That's hardly any kind of battery drain. Check for yourself - look for processes that end with the letter "d".
post #713 of 779
Multi-touch but no multitasking? There is no reason that a device such as this can't multitask. The lack of multitasking is the primary reason why my iPhone 3G really doesn't take my time away from my computer. Not when I need to get something done,
post #714 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

Multi-touch but no multitasking? There is no reason that a device such as this can't multitask. The lack of multitasking is the primary reason why my iPhone 3G really doesn't take my time away from my computer. Not when I need to get something done,

It is not a matter of "can't". It is a matter of "Steve won't let you".

Seemingly, he believes that too many of his customers can't handle it. Or at least, that is what many folks here believe.
post #715 of 779
Okay you "multitasking kills the battery" pundits, hear it for yourself, straight from the mouth of Steve Jobs: http://kara.allthingsd.com/20100128/...ve-jobs-cameo/

Watch the video, at about 2:50 - 3:30 in the video. Mossberg is grilling Steve on the battery life for various uses of the device. Jobs says the iTab only 10 hours for reading, Mossberg points out that the Kindle is much more, Jobs responds "it's all about the display, yes, it's all about the display, our chips don't use hardly any power." Mossberg grills him a bit more, Jobs gets defensive, then spurts out his famous "it's not a big deal" line, and continues to point out that "you're not going to read a book for 10 hours" and "10 hours is a really long time."

So, while he doesn't flat out address multitasking, it's pretty safe to assume from his comments that, as I've pointed out earlier, it's the display that kills battery life on these devices, more so than all other features combined.

All that said, Jobs seemed awfully cranky and defensive. Much more so than he has in the past. I wonder if it's his health, or the criticism of his "baby". And for what it's worth...if it's a really good book, and a weekend, I most certainly might read for 10 hours straight. ;-)
post #716 of 779
Multi-tasking proponents seem to be in denial about the nature of the decision to not allow 3rd party multi-tasking. Granted, mac fanactics can be equally non-objective in blind support of Apple.

But please, let's both acknowledge that preventing 3rd party multi-tasking is a deliberate design decision which wasn't taken lightly by Apple's design team. They no doubt had this exact same discussion. They didn't just choose the current design for the hell of it. Nor did they take the decision lightly. The easy thing to do would have been to allow 3rd party multi-tasking.

I for one am a believer in the theory that the design choice was made based upon concerns about battery-life / responsiveness. With 140000 apps in the app store, we can assume that thousands of them would have pegged the processor in the background.

While us geeks could certainly manage that kind of problem, the majority of iPhone/iPod/iPad users would prefer not to. Many would be incapable of understanding what they needed to manage.

Thus it is my belief that 3rd party multi-tasking was prevented because the majority of users would have a worse experience. Sure, it sucks for power users. But if it were enabled, even as a non-default option, the majority of users would suffer.
post #717 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I wonder if maybe Jobs is having Newton flashbacks.

Perhaps, though wasn't the Newton something they came up with while Jobs wasn't there? I don't know what his involvement was, if at all with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Multi-tasking proponents seem to be in denial about the nature of the decision to not allow 3rd party multi-tasking. Granted, mac fanactics can be equally non-objective in blind support of Apple.

But please, let's both acknowledge that preventing 3rd party multi-tasking is a deliberate design decision which wasn't taken lightly by Apple's design team. They no doubt had this exact same discussion. They didn't just choose the current design for the hell of it. Nor did they take the decision lightly. The easy thing to do would have been to allow 3rd party multi-tasking.

I for one am a believer in the theory that the design choice was made based upon concerns about battery-life / responsiveness. With 140000 apps in the app store, we can assume that thousands of them would have pegged the processor in the background.

While us geeks could certainly manage that kind of problem, the majority of iPhone/iPod/iPad users would prefer not to. Many would be incapable of understanding what they needed to manage.

Thus it is my belief that 3rd party multi-tasking was prevented because the majority of users would have a worse experience. Sure, it sucks for power users. But if it were enabled, even as a non-default option, the majority of users would suffer.

Assuming that's a response to me.

I've specifically stated it's a design decision, not a technical, so we do agree there.

I'd still like to see the fanboys at least acknowledge that the hardware is up to the task, the OS is up to the task, and that, as you suggest, it's merely another one of Apple's "we know best, our users are stupid" decisions they seem to be making more and more. (Not just on iMobileDevices...can you say BluRay drivers for our Macs?)

I'd also like to see some acknowledgment that, for the most part, allowing it as an advanced option, perhaps with dire warnings about whatever battery risks and responsiveness times you think might occur, would not harm any of the fanboys who blindly spurt out "Apple knows best" or "I don't want the ability to multitask to ruin my experience." If you don't want the impacts of multitasking, don't turn on the option - simple, huh?

Will Apple fail because of this design decision? Of course not. Will some geeks leave the fold over this continued refusal to give features the hardware/OS support? Definitely. And we'll stop recommending Apple products as much as we do currently. It won't be a huge difference on sales, perhaps, but it will happen.

I'm the kind of guy who's bought each new Apple product as soon as it's released for years.

New iPod, I'm there. MacBook Pro? I'm there. Switch to unibodyMacBook Pro? I'm there. Mac Pro? Yep. AppleTV? Got one the first day the hit the market. iPhone 2G? I stood in line 3 hours opening day. iPhone 3G? Stood in line two hours opening day. iPhone 3G[s]? Stood in line an hour opening day. New Airport Extreme? Yep, I've got three of them.

Will I stand in line for the iPad? Nope. Not planning on it, but I won't mock those who do. I do see a niche for this, despite the hobbling Apple's put on it.

Will I stand in line for the iPhone 4G? Maybe, maybe not. I'm really enjoying the Nexus One for the most part, and it's open, with none of this lock down crap. Apple will really have to step up with something amazing and significantly better in both the iPhone OS and the hardware to get me excited about the iPhone 4G after having the Nexus One. They might do it. It would be cool, but I'm skeptical at this time.
post #718 of 779
So, so, so disappointed. I really hope I'm proven wrong, but it looks to me like Apple just jumped the shark. \

iPad is a big iPhone that can't make phone calls -- which makes it even more like a big iPhone. At least the iPhone (which struggles to maintain a 2G connection in the Phoenix region) fits in my pocket. So, so, so disappointed.
post #719 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

You probably think the Google Nexus One is cool...

EDIT: much longer post then planned. The point was to say some of the smartphones are getting really good. Not sure what model his was but away from home, he's web browsing was much faster than my iPhone. Almost double. You know if you're a computer user you just know? I knew the second I launched the browser.

END EDIT.
A friend of mine was contemplating an iPhone as a present his wife was getting for him. AT&T has great signal where he lives, verizon not so good. Anyway he ended up getting another smart phone, the Internet was blazingly fast. It also had some great games. He's also a PC nut, overclocks, supports AMD, like the idea of a mac, but haven't converted him yet.
Thing is, he's the type this tablet would appeal to but it won't due to the lack of flash for his kids and movies. No xvid, mpeg, or flash where most network sites use to play movies.

Some over zelous fans don't get it but flash plays a big roll in shows and it's ironic that the item flash, is a portion of the market, (and a large one at that), is missing. Apple needs to get their act together and stop fearing that flash games will hurt (real reason it's not in there or iPhone), and let it play the shows and games.

I think it's a matter of time, not if, but when. These networks makes some decent $$ from the adverts. For someone like me, I have a Macbook Pro with a nice large HDMI in/out and speakers. I don't use the speakers I prefer 2.1 which can be upgraded to 7.1 I believe, 5.1 for sure. Anyway, I prefer watching the next day as you only have to deal with a few :15 or :30 second ads and only one. I hardly ever use cable. Hope we see it in time. Flash that is.
post #720 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Thus it is my belief that 3rd party multi-tasking was prevented because the majority of users would have a worse experience.

I guess that means Android is for the rest of us?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'