or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad' - Page 20

post #761 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Here is a question. Does the mobile Safari version even support the HTML 5 video and audio elements? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Q: Which browser technology is most compliant with HTML5?

A: Webkit.

Q: Who develops Webkit?

C.
post #762 of 779
Nokia and others are working with Qt WebKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #763 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nokia and others are working with Qt WebKit

That's not the whole truth.

Apple bought KHTML, and instead of keeping it in house, turned it into the open-source Webkit. This is the driving technology behind Safari, Chrome and Nokia's browsers.

C.
post #764 of 779
Quote:

C.

So... not supported now, but safe to assume it will be at some time in the future?

Has there actually been any official announcement about this? What about planned codec support?
post #765 of 779
Quote:

So... not supported now, but safe to assume it will be at some time in the future?

This is a demo of HTML5 video playback.
As a video player, it is far better than anything that Flash can deliver. Both in quality, playback controls and hardware acceleration. It scales to full screen playback without turning your computer into a hairdryer.

http://jilion.com/sublime/video

It works fine in Safari.
It works fine on the iPhone too.

C.
post #766 of 779
Quote:

As a video player, it is far better than anything that Flash can deliver. Both in quality, playback controls and hardware acceleration. It scales to full screen playback without turning your computer into a hairdryer.

It works fine in Safari.

C.

I'm impressed. So was Gruber.

Played the video on my iMac (C2D 2.6ghz) and the cpu utilization was around 10%. I like the controls as well.

Going to try it on my iPhone.
post #767 of 779
Quote:

It works fine in Safari.

C.

I love that page. I show that video to everyone I can with the tags "future of HD online".

People with laptops can't believe they're playing HD video. "It's almost like my computer will survive this!"
post #768 of 779
Quote:

It works fine in Safari.

C.

I get a "browser not supported" error in Firefox.
post #769 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I get a "browser not supported" error in Firefox.

The evil makers of Firefox are clearly restricting your freedoms - and thereby forcing you into an Adobe-dominated content infrastructure!

C.
post #770 of 779
Quote:

It works fine in Safari.

C.

Dear C.

Thanks for that. Looks just beautiful on my iPhone. I avoid Flash but haven't really been up with HTML5. If this is what to expect, fantastic.

By the way, I didn't miss floppy drives when Apple abandoned them either!

All the best.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #771 of 779
Quote:

The evil makers of Firefox are clearly restricting your freedoms - and thereby forcing you into an Adobe-dominated content infrastructure!

Or rather they are trying to prevent an MPEG LA-dominated content infrastructure!

I honestly can't see Flash being replaced in the next 12 months when the alternative for one of Flash's functions (i.e. the video) hasn't even been decided on yet.

In any case I've bookmarked this thread for a 12 month follow up

Also, test results using Chrome on a Win7 box showed around 30% CPU at full screen for the mp4 vs 20% full screen for a 720p video in Flash. Also the full screen resize on the mp4 looks pathetic.

However that is in no way representative of the video content itself. I got 5% CPU usage and a perfect upscale using a stand-alone player. I think Google just need to put a bit more effort into their HTML 5 player.
post #772 of 779
Quote:

I honestly can't see Flash being replaced in the next 12 months when the alternative for one of Flash's functions (i.e. the video) hasn't even been decided on yet.

Flash won't be replaced.
But content providers will introduce new delivery methods alongside Flash to reach the audience they want to reach. If you don't have Flash, the content will be delivered by another method.

HTML5 video - using h264 as the video standard - is what will be selected for video streaming. There's not chance of OGG being used. Because h264 runs in hardware.

YouTube, Vimeo and even the BBC iPlayer are already offering video streaming based on h264.

C.
post #773 of 779
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/02/f...in-us-for-850/

Look at this Apple.

THis is a geeks wet dream come true.

Atom processor
5.6" Multi-touch screen!
Windows 7.

The performance and experience has got to be extraordinary.
post #774 of 779
The iPad is not for geeks.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #775 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The iPad is not for geeks.

Who IS it for?
post #776 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/02/f...in-us-for-850/

Look at this Apple.

THis is a geeks wet dream come true.

Atom processor
5.6" Multi-touch screen!
Windows 7.

The performance and experience has got to be extraordinary.

The only MAJOR flaw in that is the Windows operating system!
post #777 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

The only MAJOR flaw in that is the Windows operating system!

How exactly would you operate Mac OS X or Windows 7 on a multi-touchscreen? The OSes aren't designed for that. The objects are too small, drag and drop of multiple files needs to be re-done for multi-touch (did you even watch the iPad keynote)

You do realize the iPad processor is much faster than the atom processor right? Yes it could run "FULL" os x if apple put it on instead of the light version they are, but it isn't ready for that yet. THE REASON TABLETS have failed so far is because they DON'T WORK WITH NORMAL OSes. You need an new OS.

Eventually the desktop version of OS X will support all the multi-touch gestures.
post #778 of 779
I think you quoted the wrong person... anyway I agree. The iPad would not work with a normal OS, and Apple is smart enough to know that. Apparently, nobody else could figure that out.
post #779 of 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Who IS it for?

Everyone else. Welcome to ignore.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'