or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple introduces iBooks store for iPad

Apple introduces iBooks store for iPad

post #1 of 51
Alongside the new iPad tablet-style device, Apple on Wednesday introduced its own proprietary virtual bookstore, dubbed iBooks, for reading content on the device's 9.7-inch color display.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs demonstrated the application, which features a 3D virtual bookshelf with a user's personal collection. He then browsed a number of books available on the New York Times bestseller list.

Samples of books can be viewed before they are purchased, and downloaded content is placed onto the iPad's virtual bookshelf.

"If you've used iTunes or the App Store, you're already familiar with this," Jobs said.

When reading a book, users just tap anywhere on the right to flip forward, and tap on the left side of the screen to flip back.

Five Major Book Partners
HarperCollins Publishers
Hachette Book Group
Penguin
Macmillan
Simon & Shuster

Mentioned during the presentation were HarperCollins, Penguin, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan and Hachette Book Group. Jobs said there are more to come.

"We're going to open the flood gates for the rest of the publishers in the world starting this afternoon," he said.

iBooks will be available on the iPad when it launches in the U.S. It will feature titles from major and independent publishers.

"Watch movies, TV shows and YouTube, all in HD or flip through pages of an e-book you downloaded from Apples new iBookstore while listening to your music collection," an Apple press release states.
post #2 of 51
my rating has gone to 7/10 can use iwork on the tablet.
post #3 of 51
Dammit Apple, why didn't you just name the freggin' thing iBook instead of iPad? IPAD, I mean, come on, it sounds like something made by Tampax for crying out loud!
post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

You will have to pay for it... $9.99 each.
post #5 of 51
So... no McGraw-Hill? \
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You will have to pay for it... $9.99 each.

thats fine by me, never expect anything free, but I have dropped my rating to 6/10 due to AT&T being data plan provider!
post #7 of 51
$499... that's unexpected
post #8 of 51
Quote:

thats fine by me, never expect anything free, but I have dropped my rating to 6/10 due to AT&T being data plan provider!

It is not locked to AT&T. It can be used with any GSM carrier.
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mentioned during the presentation were HarperCollins, Penguin, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan and Hachette Book Group.

No other publishers mentioned? Just those five, eh? I dunno, seems to me like there could have been even one more there... hmm...
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

To start, anyway at 16GB.$499
$599 for 32GB, $699 for 64GB. With 3G, add $130 to each. So: $629, $729, and $829.
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

No other publishers mentioned? Just those five, eh? I dunno, seems to me like there could have been even one more there... hmm...

Clearly Jobs was pissed about the comments yesterday on CNBC. I'm sure the Apple lawyers had worked in stipulations that if anyone were to release product information before the event, Apple would have the right to sever the agreement.
post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is not locked to AT&T. It can be used with any GSM carrier.

I know, but just mentioning AT&T irritates me. I don't live in States anymore, so I hope the International plans as stated by Jobs will be much better!
post #13 of 51
Quote:

So... no McGraw-Hill? \

lol. yup.
post #14 of 51
I wonder if you'll be able to highlight text of the books?
post #15 of 51
Besides aluminium, the only other prediction I got. Disappointed the stand isn't built in, as I think there was a elegant solution, but I suppose that case is a workable compromise.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibookmark View Post

Good question ... I like to markup my books when I read them, especially textbooks so I don't have to re-read anything in the event I need to go back to a book or chapter.
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibookmark View Post

I'm sure you can, and if you can't they'll add it.
post #18 of 51
Quote:

I think we now know why they bought PA Semi, not for power as such, but more so so they could sell it that cheap. They are risking cannibalizing Mac sales because they think this thing will sell bucket loads.
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm sure you can, and if you can't they'll add it.

The reason I wonder about it. I know you can't do that with a Kindle and as another responder noted to my question, I too like to highlight text as I go. Esp with Journal articles that I have to read for work (but journal articles are another question entirely)
post #20 of 51
I teach a class in which the printed textbook is ~$150 and the online version is ~$50-75. It definitely had some nice interactive options, including marking lines in highlighter and putting post-its in the margins; but the interface for those options seemed pretty clunky. I'm sure highlighting with your finger will be simple on the iPad. And there's probably a quick way to have the keyboard popup to annotate the margins. My sense is that for $500, these things could pay for themselves over a college career as more texts become available in a cheaper e-version.
post #21 of 51
Now they can take their textbooks and computer to class and track twitter & facebook even while the are reading from their textbook. Awesome!

Plus think of all the money to be saved in chiropractic bills without those giant backpacks of paper books.

The next thing is for Libraries to push for a ipad book-loan system. That would be pretty amazing as well.
post #22 of 51
souliisoul
"I know, but just mentioning AT&T irritates me. I don't live in States anymore, so I hope the International plans as stated by Jobs will be much better!"

_____*****______*****_____Commo check!_____******______*****____

You can't even use AT&T or any carrier they mentioned for US service since you are not in the US.

Let it go man and quit bashing things totally unrelated, unconnected and unaffected by you.

Any GSM...i repeat any GSM...can you hear me now?
post #23 of 51
Read and ebook while listening to your music collection?! I thought there was no multi-tasking...?
post #24 of 51
Kindle DX am doomed!

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #25 of 51
Will iBooks work only with the iPad, or will iBooks be available to iPhone/iPod Touch users as well?

I would think so as it would likely keep iPod Touch users from using (and buying) books via the Amazon Kindle whispersync app.
post #26 of 51
So, will this lead me to ditch my Kindle?

Obviously the fact that there is the Kindle app will help this, since you are not going to lose your content if you switch over to this. The screen looks much nicer than the Kindle (obviously), and I'm hoping they will come up with a much better way to do newspapers than Kindle does. I think the demo they showed was looking at New York Times in a browser - I'm hoping you will be able to subscribe like on the Kindle and download the whole paper in one go, and have it look like the print version - that's where Kindle falls down for me.

Key is going to be the battery though. I love how long the Kindle battery goes. If they are right and it can do 8 hours video viewing, I wonder how long it will survive just reading books?

All told, I think this looks like an interesting device. I can't say I'm 100% blown away, but it has potential to be something really special, especially as developers come up with neat ideas.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Any GSM...i repeat any GSM...can you hear me now?

UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900/2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #28 of 51
Quote:

Yeah, exactly my thoughs. iWork makes it really useful.
post #29 of 51
Anyone know whether iBooks allow user's personal PDF and ePub collection?
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Dammit Apple, why didn't you just name the freggin' thing iBook instead of iPad? IPAD, I mean, come on, it sounds like something made by Tampax for crying out loud!

So, is the name going to stop you from buying one? If yes, then that's your loss. Who cares about the name, the hardware and software and tech specs are all that matter!

Quote:

So... no McGraw-Hill? \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Jobs said, "We're going to open the flood gates for the rest of the publishers in the world starting this afternoon." Do people read the entire article before commenting? They will add more publishers as soon as deals are made and contracts signed.
post #31 of 51
imagine every student with the iPad instead of textbooks
WOW
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #32 of 51
Quote:

Really? Tampax is the only pad you can think of?

How about jotter pads? How about drawing pads? Heard about brake pads?

It takes a certain kind of person to think solely of sanitary pads when a name is mentioned.

Maybe Apple should give names to people like this something like iDiots.
post #33 of 51
Quote:

Wasn't iPod derided as well? Everyone will learn to live with the name.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 51
Quote:

So... no McGraw-Hill? \

I'm sure Apple will offer their books but no... they weren't part of the presentation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Really? Tampax is the only pad you can think of?

How about jotter pads? How about drawing pads? Heard about brake pads?

It takes a certain kind of person to think solely of sanitary pads when a name is mentioned.

Maybe Apple should give names to people like this something like iDiots.

It's like a tech'ed out notepad.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumate View Post

Read and ebook while listening to your music collection?! I thought there was no multi-tasking...?

The iPod app is one of the few that can run in the background.
post #37 of 51
i will add my hope for highlighting etc. and perhaps also bookmarking fav passages.

and what about the newspapers and magazines. there was talk they might to more an ebook than website style.

and multimedia within the ebooks. how about combining the text and audio versions so you can playback while you read or flip between the two. or having non fiction titles like cook books with embedded videos or language books with audio clips. no mention of that stuff.

and how about native Kindle, Nook and Digital Comic support. Rather than making me download other apps. Not a huge deal but it would make things neater in the UI
post #38 of 51
Anyone notice the inclusion of Eclipse (third book in the Twilight saga) on the virtual bookshelf?

Could this be a subtle jab at Steve Ballmer (regarding how the cover of Twilight, which consists of hands cradling an apple, was featured in his presentation of the HP slate computer)... as in, you've been 'Eclipsed'?
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Clearly Jobs was pissed about the comments yesterday on CNBC. I'm sure the Apple lawyers had worked in stipulations that if anyone were to release product information before the event, Apple would have the right to sever the agreement.

I doubt the agreement was severed. They probably just lost their mention in the presentation.
post #40 of 51
Quote:

LOL- iRag would be more appropriate
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple introduces iBooks store for iPad