or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First iPad estimates: 4 million units in year one, 8 million in 2011

First iPad estimates: 4 million units in year one, 8 million in 2011 - Page 2

post #41 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You apparently didn't read his post and take my response in context. The life of an electronic appliance/device does not end up being recycled the way you think it does. Just because the mess isn't directly in our backyard doesn't mean there isn't a mess.

This policy of shipping items worldwide to be recycled is a farce of sorts. Without knowing exactly where the items go, because Apple doesn't tell anyone, one can only guess that it could end up at places like this http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/v...nics-revealed/

So when you are done being naive about this stuff you will see how an electronic device and eco-friendly don't really belong in the same sentence.

Edit ****

And yes, I know apple has made an effort to remove some of the nastiest toxins from their products.

You know Steve O, after thinking about it, Haiti comes to mind. With no industries down there it may make a good recycling spot, if handeled properly. Someone should look into it. .Apple maybe.
Oh yeah, Apple has been failing for years,since myfirst Mac Plus .
post #42 of 111
Quote:

You apparently didn't read his post and take my response in context. The life of an electronic appliance/device does not end up being recycled the way you think it does. Just because the mess isn't directly in our backyard doesn't mean there isn't a mess.

This policy of shipping items worldwide to be recycled is a farce of sorts. Without knowing exactly where the items go, because Apple doesn't tell anyone, one can only guess that it could end up at places like this http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/v...nics-revealed/

So when you are done being naive about this stuff you will see how an electronic device and eco-friendly don't really belong in the same sentence.

Edit ****

And yes, I know apple has made an effort to remove some of the nastiest toxins from their products.

I agree with you here, and to be honest, even if the device is recycled to the fullest extent it can be at the end of it's life, even with a lot of the nastier chemicals taken out, there is very little eco friendly about semiconductor manufacture (I've worked in the industry 15 years and know a thing or two about it!)

I'm not saying it's not good Apple have become aware of the environmental impact, and it's good they are going for less toxic components, but I agree with your original comment, due to the incredible amount of energy involved in making devices, it is something of an oxymoron to call an electronic device environmentally friendly.
post #43 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I'll say it again; this thing is going to absolutely take off in vertical markets: hotels, film & TV, medical, music & recording, venue management, trucking etc... Why? because there are already thousands of registered iPhone OS developers in those fields. The increased screen real estate has the potential for serious leverage of existing assets.

Film and TV? What would the use be there? This doesn't strike me as a productive device, it really seems like a consumable appliance.
post #44 of 111
Quote:

I would like it to multi task. They are saying that this is/should replace a laptop yet I can't talk on skype, read my email, and surf the web. Strange, don't you think?

A built in camera would have been nice to start with. I think I saw that they have an add on that plugs into the 30 pin connector, but thats just another item to carry around, blah......

I have a couple other gripes, the bezel is very large. I realize that you need a bezel to hold the device but it seems very large to me.

***** Edit

I meant netbook, not laptop....

It would be nice if it did full multi-tasking, but I've really found limited use for it. There's only so much display real estate so how do you read email and surf the web at the same time. Now, I would like push notifications to be more flexible and show up as an alert button that can be pushed to see all notifications (including history).

As for Skype, maybe that is possible if Skype makes a webapp via Safari. On my iPhone, some current radio Apps switch to Safari when you ask it to so that it can keep running in the background while you use other Apps.

As for the camera, I bet they couldn't figure out how to make it really work. It might not have looked right to hold this big iPad up to take pictures (camera on back). And for a front facing camera, they may have realized that it's actually quite difficult to hold the iPad at just the right angle so that the camera is on your face instead of the ceiling or your stomach. It would have to swivel independently from the rest of the iPad so it may have been just too complex (and ugly looking).

I think you already gave the reason for the thicker bezel. When holding the device, you really don't want your fingers covering the movie or webpage or game.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
set you free."
post #45 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

And if this anal-ist doesn't think this will eat into Mac sales, he's wrong. A lot of typical consumers are ignorant and just buy the cheapest thing without doing any research.

Who cares if it eats into Mac sales? I don't because I think Apple is in the business of providing the best set of computing choices to the widest possible number of users, and those options just increased, maybe exponentially. Those of us who are power users, consultants, and geeks have to be careful not to assume the majority of computer users are like us. We are very often the exceptions, and complain about features that make absolutely no difference to the majority of people who want to simply use a device that works. The overwhelming success of the App Store shows the direction for the future of computing.

There is some interesting math that I'm sure Apple has done with the iPad. Compare the low-end MacBook with the basic iPad. In many cases the iPad may be all a user actually needs 90% (or more or all) of the time. Are Apple and its stockholders happier selling 2 million MacBooks at $1000 or 8 million iPads at $500? Plus, I don't think it's an either or situation. There are many people who do not currently use any kind of computerPC or Macwho are going to be irresistibly drawn to this little gem, and that means brand-new customers for Apple.

You think the iPhone has drawn attention? Let's talk again in two years about the iPad. My guess about sales? The iPad is going to sell 10 million units within the 12 months after it shows up for sale in the Apple Store.
post #46 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

What did you want to do with it?

for one load any software i want on it, and run multiple apps at the same time. like the HP tablet announced at CES and the upcoming Google Chrome OS tablets will do
post #47 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father View Post

No replaceable battery, no ability to add memory. This is designed to be thrown out in a few years just like the quarter Billion iphones and ipods sold in the last 9 years. They make fun toys, but don't be so quick to pat apple on the back for their environmental contribution.

Well stated.

The most environmental friendly electronic device is the one not even created in the first place.

For instance the near disposable iPad, now everything on it can be done by existing Mac's that last several years, but Apple doesn't allow Apps to be compiled for the Mac's.

Somebody call GreenPeace...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #48 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I'll say it again; this thing is going to absolutely take off in vertical markets: hotels, film & TV, medical, music & recording, venue management, trucking etc... Why? because there are already thousands of registered iPhone OS developers in those fields. The increased screen real estate has the potential for serious leverage of existing assets.

is there a way to deploy software on hundreds of these at once remotely without the app store? like you can with Windows?
post #49 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

It would be nice if it did full multi-tasking, but I've really found limited use for it. There's only so much display real estate so how do you read email and surf the web at the same time. Now, I would like push notifications to be more flexible and show up as an alert button that can be pushed to see all notifications (including history).

As for Skype, maybe that is possible if Skype makes a webapp via Safari. On my iPhone, some current radio Apps switch to Safari when you ask it to so that it can keep running in the background while you use other Apps.

As for the camera, I bet they couldn't figure out how to make it really work. It might not have looked right to hold this big iPad up to take pictures (camera on back). And for a front facing camera, they may have realized that it's actually quite difficult to hold the iPad at just the right angle so that the camera is on your face instead of the ceiling or your stomach. It would have to swivel independently from the rest of the iPad so it may have been just too complex (and ugly looking).

I think you already gave the reason for the thicker bezel. When holding the device, you really don't want your fingers covering the movie or webpage or game.

I'm also thinking about apps that maybe don't take up real estate but run in the background, the radio apps running in safari work pretty well though so thats a good point. Although, you're at the mercy of the developer to do that, something Pandora hasn't implemented yet.

Maybe the bezel will prove to be necessary, it looks bigger than it needs to be, but I haven't held it yet so thats really just a quick opinion.

I'm surprised they didn't have some facial recognition software with a built in camera that would follow your face, to a certain point of course, so you didn't have to hold it up in front of your face. I expected Apple to come up with something that was one of those 'doh, why didn't i think of that' and all I saw was an Touch on steroids. Maybe in time I'll find a use for it but right now I just don't see it.
post #50 of 111
Quote:

He clearly was comparing this device to a netbook when he started out the event/ipad intro by talking about how bad the netbooks are. This in itself is saying, "Instead of buying a netbook, we have something for you that is better". And I just don't see it yet, maybe it turns into that device that does over take the need of a netbook, for me it's not there yet.

What's missing that you wanted in a netbook?

For me, the only thing missing is Microsoft Office, and not because I want it, but because PC people want files in those formats, and iWork still has issues when translated. Who knows? Maybe MS will write a version of Office for the iPad By the way, Apple just set the mid-tier pricing bar for iPad apps by pricing each iWork app at $9.99.

The other thing could be a physical keyboard. but for me, netbook keyboards usually suck, and I have an iPhone, so I'm already pretty good at typing on a virtual keyboard.

Why an iPad? It's much easier to whip out and quicker to start up than a netbook; think about using a netbook in a car or carrying it around to meetings at work. It's 50% lighter (or more). Its battery lasts much longer. It won't be bogged down by malware or anti-malware, and won't need to be updated constantly for security reasons. It looks easier to use as touch will work better than a trackpad or nub. Buying software (games, utilities, etc) for it will be much cheaper.
set you free."
set you free."
post #51 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

is there a way to deploy software on hundreds of these at once remotely without the app store? like you can with Windows?

I wonder how they do it at the Apple Store...
set you free."
set you free."
post #52 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

4 to 8 million suckers. I honestly can't see why anyone would buy this.

Is Apple on the verge of jumping the Shark? This is it? An over-hyped, under-featured (for a tablet, if that is what this is), enlarged iPhone. This iPad iSucks.
1. no multitasking.
2. no camera/video chat.
3. Can you write on it? Does it have voice/handwriting recognition? Any new/better input method?
4. Can't run any real apps on it (if the iPhone OS is the future, count me out Apple. I'll stick with the traditional Mac OS , thank you).

etc, etc, etc.....

OK, but I can't see why people would buy the iPod Touch? Yet, there are still more iPod Touch users than iPhone users, so WTF? You either buy a 64GB iPod Touch for $399 or a 64GB iPad for $699 or $829 with 3G + Wi-Fi that AT&T is offering a NO CONTRACT Unlimited Data Plan for $30 a month and Access to ALL AT&T Wi-Fi Spots! Plus iPad has 802.11n! I do see high sale numbers because some of those iPod Touch user are going to trade up and get a iPad. This will have high sales in summer for school and high on Christmas sales. I say 5 Million iPads sold. I like James Cameron's Avatar but I didn't think it would gross over $1.85 Billion Dollars worldwide either. I love a challenge and I like to see this beat the crap out of Microsoft's Tablet Editions and Amazon Kindles. I'm sold!
post #53 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

OK, but I can't see why people would buy the iPod Touch? Yet, there are still more iPod Touch users than iPhone users, so WTF? You either buy a 64GB iPod Touch for $399 or a 64GB iPad for $699 or $829 with 3G + Wi-Fi that AT&T is offering a NO CONTRACT Unlimited Data Plan for $30 a month and Access to ALL AT&T Wi-Fi Spots! Plus iPad has 802.11n! I do see high sale numbers because some of those iPod Touch user are going to trade up and get a iPad. This will have high sales in summer for school and high on Christmas sales. I say 5 Million iPads sold. I like James Cameron's Avatar but I didn't think it would gross over $1.85 Billion Dollars worldwide either. I love a challenge and I like to see this beat the crap out of Microsoft's Tablet Editions and Amazon Kindles. I'm sold!

Right....and 5 million people are going to ditch their ipod touch or iphone that does 95% of what the ipad does and are going to lug around a 1.5 lb 10 inch tablet with them that needs a special bag and dock to sit upright...when instead an ipod fits in their pockets and does about the same things, except in smaller size, and it's hundreds of dollars cheaper....

do people not realize how cumbersome this thing is going to be for daily use outside of the home? It cannot replace an ipod touch unless you want to be carrying this thing around with you all day and prefer that to having it in your pocket.
post #54 of 111
Quote:

And if this anal-ist doesn't think this will eat into Mac sales, he's wrong. A lot of typical consumers are ignorant and just buy the cheapest thing without doing any research.

$499 verses a $1999 MacBook Pro. "Internet and email, that's all I use a computer for!"

You are completely right that some consumers will think "Internet and email, that's I use a computer for..." because guess what.... They're right, that's all they use a computer for... They would be making a smart purchase.

It may eat into some Mac sales (as in some customers thinking about buying a Macbook will buy a iPad instead)... However, that % will likely be small compared to the HUGE (90% of the market) amount of customers thinking of buying a cheap PC laptop and rather going with the iPad instead. People looking for the cheapest Internet/Mail solution aren't typically looking at Apple laptops... they are looking at PC laptops and netbooks.

IQ78
post #55 of 111
Quote:

I'll stick with my MacBook Pro, you just can't go wrong to a lot of choice, power, storage, removable battery and upgrade-ability. And it already comes with a bigger screen and built in keyboard.

I find it a hassle to get out and use my 15" MBP for a 10-15 minute task, as a passenger in a car, in an airplane, at the airport terminal. Portability and mobility does have value.

Quote:
I see what Apple is doing now, they are pinching the MacBook Pro on every side, trying to get people to trade down in features.

On one side it's the MacBook Air and on the other is now the iPad.

$499 verses a $1999 MacBook Pro. "Internet and email, that's all I use a computer for!"

Eating into Mac sales will be very little. And doing so may be good for the long-term repeat buyer. Excepting the very rich who don't care, those who bought a $2000 MBP when all they needed was Internet and email might feel cheated when they find out what they did.

More importantly, Apple Macs weren't attractive to people who wanted to spend less than $700, like Lauren and those other nice folks in the MS commercials. They were going for cheap notebooks and netbooks. I have nieces who did just that; didn't even consider a Mac because it's just a computer and it costs so much. But they don't use their netbooks for much more than Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, IM, YouTube, Flickr, Sims 3, and some web surfing. So if the iPad attracts these people, it will be incremental additional sales for Apple.

By the way, note that Apple left a bunch of things off of the iPad, which will make a MBP or even MBA much more attractive to someone who wants those things. There is an upsell in here, that's for sure.

One more thing: The iPad is now the premium Christmas gift for truly loved ones.
set you free."
set you free."
post #56 of 111
Quote:

That's the least of it. You've just confirmed that you don't know much, really.

Start here: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ics_maker.html or here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10371224-37.html and work backwards.
post #57 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm astonished by how overwhelmed you are.

I forgot the 'sarcasm' tag..... my fault...
post #58 of 111
Quote:

No replaceable battery, no ability to add memory. This is designed to be thrown out in a few years just like the quarter Billion iphones and ipods sold in the last 9 years. They make fun toys, but don't be so quick to pat apple on the back for their environmental contribution.

Again, this just shows your ignorance. Apparently you missed the memo about Apple's recycling program for computers they sold you (regardless of whether you replaced it with a new Mac or not). Here, if interested, check this out: http://www.apple.com/recycling/computer/

Add: And, since you seem very concerned about this, let me ask you: Did you recycle your used computers, sorry, 'toys'? Perhaps you can give us some guidance on what we should do with ours if you think Apple's program is bogus. Unless, of course, your consumption habits and views on the environmental consequences of electronics are entirely consistent, and you don't use any electronics - do you consume electronics 'toys?'
post #59 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree with you here, and to be honest, even if the device is recycled to the fullest extent it can be at the end of it's life, even with a lot of the nastier chemicals taken out, there is very little eco friendly about semiconductor manufacture (I've worked in the industry 15 years and know a thing or two about it!)

I'm not saying it's not good Apple have become aware of the environmental impact, and it's good they are going for less toxic components, but I agree with your original comment, due to the incredible amount of energy involved in making devices, it is something of an oxymoron to call an electronic device environmentally friendly.

Just curious: How do you deal with the environmental consequences of your own personal use of electronics? (I assume you use some).

Or are you suggesting that, as long as you don't call them 'environmentally friendly,' you're fine with however they they are used and disposed of?
post #60 of 111
Quote:

Well stated.

The most environmental friendly electronic device is the one not even created in the first place.

For instance the near disposable iPad, now everything on it can be done by existing Mac's that last several years, but Apple doesn't allow Apps to be compiled for the Mac's.

Somebody call GreenPeace...

Same question to you as to PaulMJohnson above.

In the meantime, Greenpeace has not only been called, but they they've responded, and assessed. (See the links I provided for steviet02 above).

Add: Here you go http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ics_maker.html
post #61 of 111
4 million is very optimistic unless Apple has big plans/discounts for schools.
post #62 of 111
I don't know about that. Out of the dozen people I talked to today about the iPad, I was the only one that thought it was great and saw the potential. The general consensus was that it was "stupid" or "ugly".
post #63 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Again, this just shows your ignorance. Apparently you missed the memo about Apple's recycling program for computers they sold you (regardless of whether you replaced it with a new Mac or not). Here, if interested, check this out: http://www.apple.com/recycling/computer/

Add: And, since you seem very concerned about this, let me ask you: Did you recycle your used computers, sorry, 'toys'? Perhaps you can give us some guidance on what we should do with ours if you think Apple's program is bogus. Unless, of course, your consumption habits and views on the environmental consequences of electronics are entirely consistent, and you don't use any electronics - do you consume electronics 'toys?'

Yeah you got me. I'm on my 5th iphone. I threw the other 4 in some lake some where. Now you need to simmer yourself down and have some Flavor-aid.
Gather around everybody!
Gather around everybody!
post #64 of 111
Quote:

Yeah you got me. I'm on my 5th iphone. I threw the other 4 in some lake some where. Now you need to simmer yourself down and have some Flavor-aid.

I am very simmered-down, thanks.

I have a slight issue with 'talk-is-cheap' kind of posts.
post #65 of 111
Quote:

I would like it to multi task. They are saying that this is/should replace a laptop yet I can't talk on skype, read my email, and surf the web. Strange, don't you think?

A built in camera would have been nice to start with. I think I saw that they have an add on that plugs into the 30 pin connector, but thats just another item to carry around, blah......

I have a couple other gripes, the bezel is very large. I realize that you need a bezel to hold the device but it seems very large to me.

***** Edit

I meant netbook, not laptop....

I think you and others are just looking at what it doesn't have instead of what it has. Quite honestly, your missing feature list appears rather underwhelming as well. Multitasking is a mere software update away, I was hoping for it too, but it isn't a make or break item for me at all especially since Apples apps can run in the background. I don't get the built in camera at all, maybe a webcam, but holding this device like a camera would look odd to say the least.

I see this as a great device with massive room for third parties to come in and make some really good apps that you would never dream of on a smaller, less powerful device. The biggest thing I wanted was an internet tablet for lounging on the couch as... laptops are awkward, so it works fine for me.

Edit: A 128 GB version would be nice though.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #66 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

What's missing that you wanted in a netbook?

For me, the only thing missing is Microsoft Office, and not because I want it, but because PC people want files in those formats, and iWork still has issues when translated. Who knows? Maybe MS will write a version of Office for the iPad By the way, Apple just set the mid-tier pricing bar for iPad apps by pricing each iWork app at $9.99.

The other thing could be a physical keyboard. but for me, netbook keyboards usually suck, and I have an iPhone, so I'm already pretty good at typing on a virtual keyboard.

Why an iPad? It's much easier to whip out and quicker to start up than a netbook; think about using a netbook in a car or carrying it around to meetings at work. It's 50% lighter (or more). Its battery lasts much longer. It won't be bogged down by malware or anti-malware, and won't need to be updated constantly for security reasons. It looks easier to use as touch will work better than a trackpad or nub. Buying software (games, utilities, etc) for it will be much cheaper.

I guess I want it to be more like a computer and less like a touch.
post #67 of 111
Quote:

That's the least of it. You've just confirmed that you don't know much, really.

Start here: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ics_maker.html or here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10371224-37.html and work backwards.

Answer one question, when you 'recycle' your computer, where does it go? If you can answer that with proof to back it up, I'll make a promise never to respond to one of your posts again.

I find it ironic that you link to a greenpeace article yet when they were hassling apple they were just apple haters. Classic anna.
post #68 of 111
★ The iPad Big Picture
There was a meta-message in todays Apple event, not about the iPad in particular, but rather about Apple as a whole. Jobss brief preamble included a bit of extra emphasis on the fact that the Apple now generates over $50 billion per year in revenue. (Apple also emphasized this $50 billion revenue thing in their PR two days ago announcing their Q1 2010 financial results.) He also said that when you consider MacBooks as mobile devices, that Apple generates more revenue from mobile hardware than any other company in the world; the three competitors he singled out were Sony, Samsung, and Nokia. The adjective he used was bigger.

Lastly, theres the fact that the iPad is using a new CPU designed and made by Apple itself: the Apple A4. This is a huge deal. I got about 20 blessed minutes of time using the iPad demo units Apple had at the event today, and if I had to sum up the device with one word, that word would be fast.

It is fast, fast, fast. The hardware really does feel like a big iPhone and a big original iPhone at that, with the aluminum back. (I have never liked the plastic 3G/S iPhones as much as the original in terms of how it feels in my hand.) I expected the screen size to be the biggest differentiating factor in how the iPad feels compared to an iPhone, but I think the speed difference is just as big a factor. Web pages render so fast it was hard to believe. After using the iPhone so much for two and a half years, Ive become accustomed to web pages rendering (relative to the Mac) slowly. On the iPad, they seem to render nearly instantly. (802.11N Wi-Fi helps too.)

The iPad hardware is exactly what you think. It looks great, it feels great. Its very nice to hold. (People are complaining about the wide bezel around the display, but without that, where would your thumbs go? You dont want your thumb thats holding the device to cover on-screen content or register as a touch. Trust me, its just right.) Just like with the iPhone, its all in the software. And the software is obviously marvelous in many ways. It is clearly the result of deep thought and hard work.

But: everyone I spoke to in the press room was raving first and foremost about the speed. None of us could shut up about it. It feels impossibly fast. (And our next thought: What happens if Apple has figured out a way to make a CPU like A4 that fits in an iPhone? If they pull that off for this years new iPhone, look out.)

Apple doesnt talk much about the technical details of the iPhone. They never talk about CPU speed or the name of the chip being used. They dont tell you how much RAM is in there. Part of their vision for moving computers from technical culture to popular culture is about getting away from defining these things by their technical specs. So the prominent talk about A4 is telling. This is something they want us to notice.

I mentioned this year-ago quote from Apple COO Tim Cook the other day, but its apt here, too. Cook told BusinessWeek, We believe in the simple, not the complex. We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products we make, and participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution.

Apple now owns and controls their own mobile CPUs. There arent many companies in the world that can say that. And from what I saw today, Apple doesnt just own and control a mobile CPU, they own and control the hands-down best mobile CPU in the world. Software aside (which is a huge thing to put aside), it may well be that no other company could make a device today matching the price, size, and performance of the iPad. Theyre not getting into the CPU business for kicks, theyre getting into it to kick ass.

Theyre Microsoft and Intel rolled into one when it comes to mobile computing. In the pre-taped video Apple showed, Bob Mansfield said of the iPad, No one else could do it. Only Apple.

And so my takeaway from this with the bragging about making their own CPUs and their annual revenue and their size compared to companies like Sony, Samsung, and Nokia is that this is Apples way of asserting that theyre taking over the penthouse suite as the strongest and best company in the whole ones-and-zeroes racket.

Daring Fireball 10-01-27 10:40 PM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/
post #69 of 111
Quote:

Just curious: How do you deal with the environmental consequences of your own personal use of electronics? (I assume you use some).

Or are you suggesting that, as long as you don't call them 'environmentally friendly,' you're fine with however they they are used and disposed of?

I make sure I recycle them where I can, make sure I switch things off and not leave them in standby during their life (amazing how much power you can waste doing that), and I accept the fact that the manufacture of them is not environmentally friendly.

I'm not advocating doing nothing, far from it, and in truth the semiconductor manufacturing industry is starting to do it's part as well, though mostly because electricity costs are going up and they want to reduce their bills.

Whilst I mentioned I'm not sure it's right to call them environmentally friendly, that's not to say we shouldn't try.
post #70 of 111
Quote:

Answer one question, when you 'recycle' your computer, where does it go? If you can answer that with proof to back it up, I'll make a promise never to respond to one of your posts again.

I find it ironic that you link to a greenpeace article yet when they were hassling apple they were just apple haters. Classic anna.

Let me ask you this: Is the food you eat 'environmentally friendly' in how it is produced, consumed, and finally, expended/recycled?

Actually, let me make it easier for you: is anything?

If 'no,' are you a living oxymoron? (To go back to your original post).
post #71 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I make sure I recycle them where I can, make sure I switch things off and not leave them in standby during their life (amazing how much power you can waste doing that), and I accept the fact that the manufacture of them is not environmentally friendly.

I'm not advocating doing nothing, far from it, and in truth the semiconductor manufacturing industry is starting to do it's part as well, though mostly because electricity costs are going up and they want to reduce their bills.

Whilst I mentioned I'm not sure it's right to call them environmentally friendly, that's not to say we shouldn't try.

All good points.

I just get tired of lazy comments that people make about things being 'oxymorons' or folks getting all snobby, just because companies do it. Many companies - Apple is merely one - are working hard to mitigate the impact of their environmental footprint.

More important, I find it quite hypocritical that it is in the process of meeting our demands that these companies produce this crud, and yet, many of us wish to take no responsibility for the role the we play in it. (I see a similar snobbishness when it comes to discussions of China's pollution and emissions).
post #72 of 111
Quote:

Let me ask you this: Is the food you eat 'environmentally friendly' in how it is produced, consumed, and finally, expended/recycled?

Actually, let me make it easier for you: is anything?

If 'no,' are you a living oxymoron? (To go back to your original post).

That's what I expected, total avoidance and an attempt to redirect the discussion. You just proved my point. You have no idea what you're talking about. Didn't you just tell someone else you didn't like cheap talk? Something about pot calling kettle black ring a bell?
post #73 of 111
Quote:

That's what I expected, total avoidance and an attempt to redirect the discussion. You just proved my point.

What point was that? The one about (quote) "...electronic device and eco-friendly don't really belong in the same sentence" (unquote). Or your eating habits?
post #74 of 111
I think the analyst has missed a ton of variables... and grossly underestimated the sales potential. If Apple can produce enough of them, I could see them easily surpassing that 8 million unit projection in this calendar year alone. Hell, at $499, they'll easily sell a few million of them just around the holidays...

I also think they missed the potential of Apple's installed base. This device becomes a natural extension of the desktop/iPhone-iPod Touch devices on a number of levels...

For example, I use an app called TouchOSC on my iPhone, for remote controlling plugins and parameters inside Ableton Live (running on my desktop or laptop)... the multi-touch aspect is magic. I'd buy an iPad just for this app alone! Larger screen? No-brainer! And I'm sure they'll release an iPad-specific version of that app as well, with more controls, etc...

Combined with my iPhone (not replacing it), it'll give me tremendous control and flexibility...

That extends to a number of other applications as well... great software + multi-touch interface + wireless communication (between the iPad and an existing computer)... the possibilities are amazing. And that will translate to huge sales, well beyond this analyst's very conservative outlook....

Just my humble opinion...
post #75 of 111
Quote:

Didn't you just tell someone else you didn't like cheap talk? Something about pot calling kettle black ring a bell?

I have not said one thing about anything in my life being environmentally friendly.

Nor did I make snotty remarks about companies claiming to be so (or using/disposing of electronics claiming to be so) being contradictions.

You did.
post #76 of 111
[CENTER]Given the overwhelmingly luke-warm reception the iPad is receiving in the media, it might be best to wait a while before making any such loftily predictions.

Personally, I'll be buying the 64gb/3G ASAP, but this could well be a case of Newton 2 - Electronic Fail-A-Loo[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #77 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Given the overwhelmingly luke-warm reception the iPad is receiving in the media, it might be best to wait a while before making any such loftily predictions.

Personally, I'll be buying the 64gb/3G ASAP, but this could well be a case of Newton 2 - Electronic Fail-A-Loo[/CENTER]

Is this the same media that said the iPhone would be a failure?
At $500, Apple will struggle to keep up with demand. Even the Kindle sold out at one time...
post #78 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

True. But who says Apple is the only game in town? I can participate, just not with the iPad.

As bad as the reputation of tablets have been up to this point (not ready for prime time, not done right, etc), there are windows based tablets that put this iPad to shame (functionality wise). I say that and I absolutely hate windows. But I would certainly choose a Windows 7 based tablet over this any day. No comparison.

As bad as the reputation of smart phones have been up to this point (not ready for prime time, not done right, etc), there are WinMo based phones that put this iPhone to shame (functionality wise). I say that and I absolutely hate windows. But I would certainly choose a WinMo based phone over this any day. No comparison.

Really, the iPad hate is an exact replay of the iPhone rollout. It's almost comical.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #79 of 111
I can't wait! I think despite the haters that it will be a big seller!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...2&pf_rd_i=ipad
post #80 of 111
Quote:

All good points.

I just get tired of lazy comments that people make about things being 'oxymorons' or folks getting all snobby, just because companies do it. Many companies - Apple is merely one - are working hard to mitigate the impact of their environmental footprint.

More important, I find it quite hypocritical that it is in the process of meeting our demands that these companies produce this crud, and yet, many of us wish to take no responsibility for the role the we play in it. (I see a similar snobbishness when it comes to discussions of China's pollution and emissions).

I don't disagree with anything you say. I guess my problem is with the overuse of the phrase "environmentally friendly" when really it's being used as a marketing slogan designed to absolve people of the need to worry about what they are doing.

In reality, given I've got a Macbook Pro which I can use for computing on the go, I've got an iPod Touch which I can use for "holding the internet in my hand", I don't actually need an iPad, and it would be better for the environment if I didn't buy something that I don't actually need. Now, I admire people who would be in that position and would take the high ground and not buy one. I won't take the high ground and I'll buy one, I'm just not sure it's healthy for people in my position to be told what they are doing is environmentally healthy.

I don't advocate stopping people doing what they want, but lets not sugar coat it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First iPad estimates: 4 million units in year one, 8 million in 2011