or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Eagerly awaiting the next Mobileme, iWork.com, iLife updates

Eagerly awaiting the next Mobileme, iWork.com, iLife updates

post #1 of 12
Conspicuously absent was talk on MobileMe and iWork.com.

If the iPad comes even close to projected sales there are going to be a lot of people looking at
iWork.com for easy filesharing and editing.

I'm already a fan of Mobileme. For the most part it stays out of my way and makes sure that my contacts and calendar and booksmarks are kept in sync and for that I'm grateful because it matters not what device I pick up I know my data is there.

I think we're going to see the next revision of iLife come with some iPad companion apps as well. iMovie and Garageband could have capable iPad versions. Even if you cannot capture video it doesn't preclude you from importing video to work on.

iPhoto features sound like they will be the first to make the transition. I like the "Piles" way of accessing a bunch of pictures. I'm guessing that Apple will employe something similar to reduce the amount of pages application icons take up. A grouping function is needed at some level.

Apple's not building that Data Center for no reason. They plan to have some pretty good Cloud offerings to mate along with what is now a 2 pronged approach. iPhone/Touch ---> iPad ----> Macbook /Pro
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #2 of 12
Yes, but when do you think they will make the announcement? I am still looking forward to professional tools optimized for Snow Leopard that provide the best bang for the buck. Not to mention updates for the Pro line of Notebooks and Workstations.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Yes, but when do you think they will make the announcement? I am still looking forward to professional tools optimized for Snow Leopard that provide the best bang for the buck. Not to mention updates for the Pro line of Notebooks and Workstations.

I'm kind of thinking that MobileMe, iLife and iWork.com will have their own separate event sometime this spring.

iPhone SDK and iPad will rev to 4.0 at WWDC and multitasking will probably be the main entrée. Apple's got to get multitasking going but I wouldn't be surprised to see Multitasking support only in the iPad and the nextgen iPhone due to specific hardware that manages battery life better.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 12
I agree with the OP. There are many questions to be answered in terms of file handling with the iPad OS.

Cloud storage is an option, but locally there needs to be a solution as well. I'm betting we will see another update to the OS before or shortly following launch to will fully flesh out the rest of the iPad capabilities.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think we're going to see the next revision of iLife come with some iPad companion apps as well. iMovie and Garageband could have capable iPad versions. Even if you cannot capture video it doesn't preclude you from importing video to work on.

Are you sure the processor is that powerful? It's a 1GHz ARM based (more than likely) CPU, not a Core 2 or even an Atom. Do we even know how much RAM it has? Doing stuff like video or music editing would really be pushing the capabilities of the system. If Apple had based this on the Atom like the Crunchpad/JooJoo, then possibly, but as it stands it would get blown away by the slowest netbook.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Are you sure the processor is that powerful? It's a 1GHz ARM based (more than likely) CPU, not a Core 2 or even an Atom. Do we even know how much RAM it has? Doing stuff like video or music editing would really be pushing the capabilities of the system. If Apple had based this on the Atom like the Crunchpad/JooJoo, then possibly, but as it stands it would get blown away by the slowest netbook.

I'm not really buying the Atom. It's a good processor that's suited for Netbooks but it's power consumption is still higher than ARM and the speed gap is closing.

http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArtic...leID=222200621

Quote:
The Intel-based netbook seemed to beat the development board to display different websites most times, but not by very much. When it is considered that the netbook has a graphics processing unit and the development board does not, that is surprising result. Even more notable is that the Intel-based netbook is running at 1.6-GHz clock frequency the dual-core Cortex-A9 development is running at 500-MHz.

The iPad is a lot faster than people think. I'm not saying it's a ARM Cortex A9 but it's running at 1Ghz and it's a custom design and in with preproduction hardware/software people are happy with the snappy.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm not really buying the Atom. It's a good processor that's suited for Netbooks but it's power consumption is still higher than ARM and the speed gap is closing.

http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArtic...leID=222200621

The iPad is a lot faster than people think. I'm not saying it's a ARM Cortex A9 but it's running at 1Ghz and it's a custom design and in with preproduction hardware/software people are happy with the snappy.

That isn't what you said though. Rendering a webpage is a LONG way from editing video and audio. And as for your test, there are a variety of reasons why that result could have happened. My iPhone rendered a page faster than Firefox on my Mac MIni, but that doesn't mean they are even remotely comparable in power.
post #8 of 12
Quote:

Clearly you have no experience with the slowest or even mid range netbooks then.

They are all terrible. Not one provides a "fast" experience of any kind. ATOM is a joke, and its really ironic the way so many people defend 1.6 ghz processor that can't get out of its own way, and has horrible GPU and often 1 GB of non removable or upgradable ram.

Its not even worth talking about. So you can do what? Use Firefox?

IRRELEVANT.
post #9 of 12
Quote:

That isn't what you said though. Rendering a webpage is a LONG way from editing video and audio. And as for your test, there are a variety of reasons why that result could have happened. My iPhone rendered a page faster than Firefox on my Mac MIni, but that doesn't mean they are even remotely comparable in power.

Actually that's exactly what it means. For the people who need Photoshop, they can buy a machine to run Photoshop. It's $500 software for christ's sake. You can buy a $500 machine to run it on.

That has absolutely nothing to do with a consumer browsing the web, checking/composing email, posting to face book, playing a game.

It has absolutely nothing to do 90% of computer users, who are all likely candidates for a device tailored to what THEY (not you) do on a computer, and faster than the clunky $2000 machine that they got conned into buying for the same purpose 3 years ago.

"Oh $2K? Well thats 3 times what I paid for my last computer so it must be 3 times as fast!"

Best Buy rep: "Yep, that's what it means"
post #10 of 12
Quote:

You can do simple video editing on an iPhone. For heavens sake, you could do simple (and not so simple) video editing on 500MHz G3 iMac back in the day. Putting the clips together and adding some transitions is nothing, the final rendering could be bit of a problem though.
Maybe rendering will be done in semi-backgroundish fashion while editing other clips, or final edit is uploaded to Apple's data center for rendering and publishing on Mobile Me (available for download and re-uploading to some other services of course). Most users will be editing non-hidef video shot with Flips and iPhones anyway, so bandwidht wouldn't be too much of an issue (at least on a Wi-Fi).
post #11 of 12
Well quite honestly I don't know what capabilities the iPad will have with regard to video but I've seen the hands on demo and they corroborate John Gruber's point about how fast the A4 based iPad is in about everything it does.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/ipad_big_picture

I want to see more of Apple's customed designed chips.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #12 of 12
I really want to know more about the apps for the iPad. I have not been able to find anything on Apple's site. Will they limit the number of emails the device can hold? How robust will iWorks be? Is there going to be iLife? If I like the answers I will definitely find a place in my camera bag for it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Eagerly awaiting the next Mobileme, iWork.com, iLife updates