or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › State of the Union 2010

State of the Union 2010 - Page 4

post #121 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Explain to me how it's Obama's fault that the spineless Democrats in congress care more about their special interests, campaign contributions, and corporate owners than the real socialized medicine this country desperately needs.

Obama says: I want a healthcare plan that does X, Y, and Z.

Democrats in congress: Well, we're too afraid to piss off our corporate overlords so how about a plan that does some of X, a smidge of Y, and none of Z?

Right wing nuts: OBAMA IS TERRIBLE HIS HEALTHCARE PLAN IS SHIT!!! AHHH DEATH PANELS AHHH!!!!

Obama's plan isn't the problem. It's the retarded legislative bodies who refuse to put it into action who are to blame.

I haven't seen the Republicans get rid of the lbbyists either so I think BR's hit the nail on the head.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #122 of 128
Quote:

Explain to me how it's Obama's fault that the spineless Democrats in congress care more about their special interests, campaign contributions, and corporate owners than the real socialized medicine this country desperately needs.

Obama says: I want a healthcare plan that does X, Y, and Z.

Democrats in congress: Well, we're too afraid to piss off our corporate overlords so how about a plan that does some of X, a smidge of Y, and none of Z?

Right wing nuts: OBAMA IS TERRIBLE HIS HEALTHCARE PLAN IS SHIT!!! AHHH DEATH PANELS AHHH!!!!

Obama's plan isn't the problem. It's the retarded legislative bodies who refuse to put it into action who are to blame.

Obama didn't write a plan and send it to Congress. Despite his campaign rhetoric, he deliberately left the writing of the entire plan to Pelosi and Reid. The fact that a lot of garbage got in and then lost massive public support has to be pinned on him. Everybody knows what the U.S. Congress is like.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #123 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I haven't seen the Republicans get rid of the lbbyists either so I think BR's hit the nail on the head.

Stop making excuses for Obama and give him criticism where criticism is due. He is the president now and he has not gotten rid of the lobbyists like he promised. He has the power to do so, and he has not done it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #124 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Stop making excuses for Obama and give him criticism where criticism is due. He is the president now and he has not gotten rid of the lobbyists like he promised. He has the power to do so, and he has not done it.

He has the power to get rid of lobbyists? Explain.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #125 of 128
Quote:

He has the power to get rid of lobbyists? Explain.

Executive Order.

post #126 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Executive Order.

Methinks if he issued such an executive order, you'd be crowing about how he doesn't have the authority do make such a sweeping decision all by himself and crying about his rampant abuses of power.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of banning lobbyists and all political donations from organizations. I just see how you and others reacted to the supreme court decision and I have a feeling you'd be singing a different tune if you actually thought Obama really would try to issue such an executive order.

The modus operandi of the right is pretty simple: Decry any action taken by the opposition. Demand other actions that are highly unlikely to ever take place that they would ordinarily decry if put into actual practice. There's no harm in doing so because if the actions will never happen anyway, they can't get called on for being hypocrites.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #127 of 128
Quote:

Methinks if he issued such an executive order, you'd be crowing about how he doesn't have the authority do make such a sweeping decision all by himself and crying about his rampant abuses of power.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of banning lobbyists and all political donations from organizations. I just see how you and others reacted to the supreme court decision and I have a feeling you'd be singing a different tune if you actually thought Obama really would try to issue such an executive order.

I'm not saying I'd agree with his use of the executive order in this instance. I'm saying he could do it if he wanted to. He already has issued numerous executive orders.

So again, I say level criticism at Obama where criticism is due. He promised to get lobbyists out of Washington. He has the power (whether Constitutional or not) to do so. He has not done it.

post #128 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxParrish View Post

He is not serious about either nuclear power or off-shore drilling because a) they don't fit with his ideology (or the ideology and history of anti nuke of his party) and b) they were damned by feint mention. Anyone familiar with State of the Union messages will tell you that every President has padding, a list of "oh yas, we want that too" sfuff. No one takes it seriously. When we see Obama actually propose and push for serious legislation, then we can believe it...but not before.

Believe it now, sucker?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › State of the Union 2010