or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › State of the Union 2010

State of the Union 2010 - Page 2

post #41 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

From John Scalzi's analysis of the situation...I think he hits the nail on the head:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/01/2...he-union-2010/

Wow. I had No idea John Scalzi was a political commentator too. I went to high school with John Scalzi and Josh Marshall, who were close friends in a class of about 60 graduates at my school. They were seniors ('87) when I was a sophomore ('89).

Funny thing is, most of the people coming out of the school, and all of the administration, are die-hard Republicans, it being kind of an exclusive and expensive school.

I contribute the success of Scalzi and Marshall to Dave Fawcett and Larry McMillan. Too bad I never paid attention in Fawcett's class and I never had McMillan.
post #42 of 128
NYT has a good piece on the POTUS-SCOTUS scuffle.

GW did criticize the court back in 2008, but not during the SOU. Go figure: about detainees' rights.
Nixon did, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/us.../29scotus.html

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #43 of 128
I guess the whole "adversarial journalism" thing went out the window when Obama was elected. Now it's all "context" and running cover for him.

Not everyone at the NYT drank the cool aid.

Justice Alitos Reaction

Quote:
Nearly every president finds something to criticize about the Supreme Court, but not every one gets to do it to the justices faces, on national television, in the State of the Union speech. Of the six justices in the audience, three were in the majority in the 5-4 decision: Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, who wrote the opinion; Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.; and Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. Three were among the four dissenters: Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen G. Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

The law that Congress enacted in the populist days of the early 20th century prohibited direct corporate contributions to political campaigns. That law was not at issue in the Citizens United case, and is still on the books. Rather, the court struck down a more complicated statute that barred corporations and unions from spending money directly from their treasuries as opposed to their political action committees on television advertising to urge a vote for or against a federal candidate in the period immediately before the election. It is true, though, that the majority wrote so broadly about corporate free speech rights as to call into question other limitations as well although not necessarily the existing ban on direct contributions.

But let's not let messy facts get in the way of creating a "distraction" that helps Obama.
post #44 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Have you ever heard Obama speak when not rehashing prepared statements or reading a speech? You may want to think twice about how smart you think he is. There's a reason he doesn't go anywhere without a teleprompter.

This is absolutely fantastic.

Here is Barack Obama talking to the Republicans at their two-day retreat in Baltimore.

http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/20...P+Retreat.aspx

Here you will see him take questions from the assembled GOP delegates on detailed points of policy and economics with nothing but a few cards for his opening remarks.

Its absolutely marvellous..

If he can school a room full of Republicans like that without a teleprompter, and he is as stupid as Ive seen suggested, that makes the Republican lawmakers really quite profoundly retarded.
post #45 of 128
And they seem so proud of it.

---

In other news, Sara is still going to the Tea Party gathering next week (she's being paid handsomely for it... why does she donate that to Haiti? oops!) and says the GOP should merge with the Tea Party Movement.

Hahahahahaha.

post #46 of 128
[QUOTE=FloorJack;1561448]I guess the whole "adversarial journalism" thing went out the window when Obama was elected. Now it's all "context" and running cover for him.

Not everyone at the NYT drank the cool aid.

Justice Alito’s Reaction

Obama's partisan hyperbole, while asking for non-partisanship, makes little logical sense - but then I've heard Pelosi make some contradictory and irrational comments too.

Demogogic railing against "powerful interests" are as old as William Jennings Bryan, but these days a good less sincere. None the less, I don't have a problem with a President criticizing the courts, and think it might be good if they did it more often.

But I do have a problem doing it to Justices who have done the honor of attending the President's State of the Union address. It strikes me as boorish, especially when he fabricates hyperbole to get the emotive yahoo clapping for his denunciation. I mean, could'nt the putz had the class to at least warn them that they may not want to attend?

On the bright side Alito appropriately expressed his displeasure, trumping with few mouthed words the Presidents antics.

And no, for anyone who bothers to research it, it did not overturn 100 years of precendent...try 7 or 8 years Mr. President.
post #47 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

What he says is fine, but what he does is what matters. If the coming days don't bring us pics and headlines about jobs then he'll not have understood what is most important at this time.

OK, so today I search for the word "obama" on the main pages and on the main political pages of the news sites that offer a TV counterpart.

Here's the headlines:

I saw the word "jobs" mentioned once or twice. Obama himself seems to be trying to lecture everyone on proper decorum, yet he DID take a swipe at the USSC in his state of the union. Can't go tit for tat then claim the high road. Obama is fighting for gays. Stimulus this and that. Blah blah.

Most of the talk is political, damn DAMN little about jobs. The POTUS v. USSC seems to be the flavor winner. ABC news seems to address jobs the most.

They don't get it. They will, but will they know WHY they're going to get slapped down?

THE People are going to be the party of "NO, I WILL NOT vote for the incumbent!", and people will smile and nod and talk about it, but no matter how you slice it, it won't be a Republican win, it'll just be people saying NO. There's going to be a lot of them too, is my guess.

If you fight for jobs, you fight for everybody. It's a guaranteed win-win. You'd figure they'd notice that by now.
post #48 of 128
Quote:

Have you ever heard Obama speak when not rehashing prepared statements or reading a speech? You may want to think twice about how smart you think he is. There's a reason he doesn't go anywhere without a teleprompter.

The Republicans must love him so much they actually gave him all their questions so he can write his answers and read them of the tele prompter. How sweet.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #49 of 128
The GOPpers looked so silly during that Q&A... They really are clueless. Obama set them in their place, as any decent human being would.

Fox was so impressed by Obama's performance that they cut it off mid-way. Must have been embarrassing to see their beloved getting an education.

post #50 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxParrish View Post

Well, nothing like a major setback to increase calls for cooperation from those that delivered it.

Although I am not a Republican (or Democrat) I doubt partisanship has much to do with electoral success - indeed, if Reid and Pelosi have proven anything it is that 8 years of unrelenting table pounding eventually wears down the opposition and the public. I can't think of a more partisan 8 years, and it worked for Dems.

I confess my opinions are not influenced by the prospect of 'getting somewhere'; I think a person of integrity should hold to the truth, regardless of those that suggest it is better to shape one's opinion to please those in power. How about you?

Finally, Obama's stern lecturing on Washington may have some truth, but given that he has been one of the ranking hypocrites seems to have escaped more than a few of the bama-bots. And if it is called "partisan" to point out that he lied about the Court, is hypocritical, and has been partisan himself...well that may indicative of the sorry state of critical thinking.

Quote:
I confess my opinions are not influenced by the prospect of 'getting somewhere'; I think a person of integrity should hold to the truth, regardless of those that suggest it is better to shape one's opinion to please those in power. How about you?

Read some of my opinions concerning Mr. Bush in the past.

Quote:
Finally, Obama's stern lecturing on Washington may have some truth, but given that he has been one of the ranking hypocrites seems to have escaped more than a few of the bama-bots.

Hypocrites? Bama bots? Republican or no it sounds plenty partisan to me.

Quote:
he lied about the Court,

Is an opinion.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #51 of 128
Is anyone here a millionaire? Why the heck are people posting at AppleInsider against their own economic self-interest? Yeah to the poster saying Obama reads off a prompter...um, he's not smart!? Last time I checked he's the leader OF THE FREE WORLD. You're just a goofball posting on Appleinsider, like me and everyone else here. I don't get you conservatives that aren't actually rich. Why? Why??

W. and Boner and Alito are all laughing at you while you pay taxes and they don't pay a dime, thanks to their accountants at AIG and Citibank. Why do you defend them? That's like defending the honor of the bully that just beat the crap out of you and stole your lunch money at recess.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #52 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wow. I had No idea John Scalzi was a political commentator too. I went to high school with John Scalzi and Josh Marshall, who were close friends in a class of about 60 graduates at my school. They were seniors ('87) when I was a sophomore ('89).

Funny thing is, most of the people coming out of the school, and all of the administration, are die-hard Republicans, it being kind of an exclusive and expensive school.

I contribute the success of Scalzi and Marshall to Dave Fawcett and Larry McMillan. Too bad I never paid attention in Fawcett's class and I never had McMillan.

Very cool. You should keep up with his Whatever blog if you don't already. He's usually got something interesting to say that's worth reading. http://whatever.scalzi.com

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #53 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Is anyone here a millionaire? Why the heck are people posting at AppleInsider against their own economic self-interest? Yeah to the poster saying Obama reads off a prompter...um, he's not smart!? Last time I checked he's the leader OF THE FREE WORLD. You're just a goofball posting on Appleinsider, like me and everyone else here. I don't get you conservatives that aren't actually rich. Why? Why??

W. and Boner and Alito are all laughing at you while you pay taxes and they don't pay a dime, thanks to their accountants at AIG and Citibank. Why do you defend them? That's like defending the honor of the bully that just beat the crap out of you and stole your lunch money at recess.

Bush 2007 Tax Return
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #54 of 128
Quote:

Why you say? Because they're partisan. They don't give a crap about the big picture. It's all about their side winning. Even if Bush did pay taxes it looks like a pittance compared to what he made.
post #55 of 128
So, this morning on his Saturday radio address, Obama says "cutting the deficit is as important as job growth".

No, Mr. President, it's not. Taxes from a working America will be what's used to pay off the deficit. No working America, no paying down the deficit.
post #56 of 128
Quote:

So true.
Republicans do not know how to make money other than getting tax cuts. As a rule of thumb if you pay a lot of taxes you usually make a lot of money. A few hundred grand tax hardly makes a dent in your accounts and you have all the information you need to avoid paying taxes.

In my many years of doing business, the Republicans I had to do with usually give the worst financial advise. They talk a big game but then you find out the guy's mercedes was repoed and he had made the worst investments possible. These are 75% of Orange County California residents. I have my own "do not do business with list". Since I consciously avoid Repubs in business my income has quadrupled.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #57 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

So true.
Republicans do not know how to make money other than getting tax cuts. As a rule of thumb if you pay a lot of taxes you usually make a lot of money. A few hundred grand tax hardly makes a dent in your accounts and you have all the information you need to avoid paying taxes.

In my many years of doing business, the Republicans I had to do with usually give the worst financial advise. They talk a big game but then you find out the guy's mercedes was repoed and he had made the worst investments possible. These are 75% of Orange County California residents. I have my own "do not do business with list". Since I consciously avoid Repubs in business my income has quadrupled.

5/10

I partially raged, then I laughed.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

5/10

I partially raged, [ADDED AFTER I REPLIED]then I laughed.[/ADDED AFTER I REPLIED]

Gurus know rage, this is new!
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #59 of 128
Quote:

So true.

That's just silly. It's not even worth addressing that.

Quote:

You're a caricature of yourself at this point.
post #60 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That's just silly. It's not even worth addressing being that.

You're a caricature of yourself at this point.

walking to bank
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #61 of 128
Quote:

walking to bank

Walking? Don't you have a Bentley or something?

No wait, it's gotta be a Prius.

post #62 of 128
Quote:

Walking? Don't you have a Bentley or something?

No wait, it's gotta be a Prius.

No, I have my own bank, downstairs.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #63 of 128
Quote:

No, I have my own bank, downstairs.

Did you have to be bailed out?

post #64 of 128
Gosh now who's the troll?

This is how one dimensional these guys think.

You all know how liberal I am and I still drive a Mustang GT because it's fun and I like Mustangs. It's the third one I've owned and the most fuel effiecient but it's still a muscle car. My guilty pleasure but you have to have at least one. And I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

My wife drives a van. It's huge but it carries a lot and she likes conversion vans.

Now tell me what the hell ( outside the partisan sand box ) does this have to do with one of the best SOU addresses I've ever heard?
post #65 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Gosh now who's the troll?

This is how one dimensional these guys think.

You all know how liberal I am and I still drive a Mustang GT because it's fun and I like Mustangs. It's the third one I've owned and the most fuel effiecient but it's still a muscle car. My guilty pleasure but you have to have at least one. And I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

My wife drives a van. It's huge but it carries a lot and she likes conversion vans.

Now tell me what the hell ( outside the partisan sand box ) does this have to do with one of the best SOU addresses I've ever heard?

More than you will ever realize.

post #66 of 128
Quote:

More than you will ever realize.

OOOOOOOOO! That was cryptic!

So you admit it was a good address?
post #67 of 128
Quote:

OOOOOOOOO! That was cryptic!

So you admit it was a good address?

If you admit you're a closet Republican with a huge crush on Sarah Palin.

post #68 of 128
Quote:

If you admit you're a closet Republican with a huge crush on Sarah Palin.

Oh! Sarah! My love goddess! Those tight little business suits and those soccer mom glasses. I watch those old sports casts of hers and do unspeakable things!
post #69 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

This is absolutely fantastic.

Here is Barack Obama talking to the Republicans at their two-day retreat in Baltimore.

Here you will see him take questions from the assembled GOP delegates on detailed points of policy and economics with nothing but a few cards for his opening remarks.

Its absolutely marvellous..

If he can school a room full of Republicans like that without a teleprompter, and he is as stupid as Ive seen suggested, that makes the Republican lawmakers really quite profoundly retarded.

Perhaps you missed this, or many other examples of Obama being lost while trying to answer questions-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWRs7tB_zaw

He says 'um', and 'uh' as much as a punch-drunk boxer.
post #70 of 128
Quote:

Not everyone here is a 13 year old, a poor college student, or works some $9/hr menial job. Last I checked, MacHeads come from all financial strata. Tax policy greatly affects me.

For 8 years, you guys called President Bush an idiot. Was he not the leader of the free world?
Regardless of how good an accountant one has, or who they know, there is no legal way for someone who is wealthy to avoid paying taxes. There are deductions and credits, but, at best, their tax burden would be somewhat lessened.
Last I checked, the 'wealthy' pay nearly all the federal tax the government collects, while the poor pay none, and the middle class pay something like 5%.
post #71 of 128
The lefts infatuation with Palin amounts to a school yard crush.
post #72 of 128
Quote:

Not everyone here is a 13 year old, a poor college student, or works some $9/hr menial job. Last I checked, MacHeads come from all financial strata. Tax policy greatly affects me.

For 8 years, you guys called President Bush an idiot. Was he not the leader of the free world?

Oh well see, that's different.

Quote:
Regardless of how good an accountant one has, or who they know, there is no legal way for someone who is wealthy to avoid paying taxes. There are deductions and credits, but, at best, their tax burden would be somewhat lessened.
Last I checked, the 'wealthy' pay nearly all the federal tax the government collects, while the poor pay none, and the middle class pay something like 5%.

Exactly. People that make statements like wormy did are either trolling or plainly ignorant. Kiplinger states:

Quote:
That top 1% of earners pay 39.89% of all the federal individual income taxes. The bottom 50% of earners pay just 2.99% of those taxes.

and

Quote:
Percentile Income\t % income % taxes paid

Top 1%\tOver $388,806\t22%\t 40%
Top 5%\tOver $153,542\t37%\t 60%
Top 10%\tOver $108,904\t47%\t 71%
Top 25%\tOver $64,702\t 66%\t 86%
Top 50%\tOver $31,987\t 87%\t 97%
Bot 50%\tUnder $31,988 13% 3%
post #73 of 128
Quote:

Perhaps you missed this, or many other examples of Obama being lost while trying to answer questions-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWRs7tB_zaw

He says 'um', and 'uh' as much as a punch-drunk boxer.

And here is Barack Obama speaking unscripted and taking questions for an hour and a half at the Republican Retreat in Baltimore three days ago.

You never, ever get to talk about this teleprompter bullshit again.
post #74 of 128
Quote:

And here is Barack Obama speaking unscripted and taking questions for an hour and a half at the Republican Retreat in Baltimore three days ago.

...and the GOPPERs came off looking pretty bad for it, too. What did they say afterwards... they shouldn't have allowed cameras? Hahahahaha!

post #75 of 128
Quote:

Regurgitating a prepared speech is 'unscripted?' You do know Obama has staffers who ply him with questions in advance, so he can prepare answers beforehand, correct? The difference between him truly answering questions off the cuff, and when he spits out memorized answers and speeches leads me to believe he is simply being fed lines via an earpiece.
post #76 of 128
Quote:

Regurgitating a prepared speech is 'unscripted?' You do know Obama has staffers who ply him with questions in advance, so he can prepare answers beforehand, correct? The difference between him truly answering questions off the cuff, and when he spits out memorized answers and speeches leads me to believe he is simply being fed lines via an earpiece.

Partisan rant. Besides nothing can compare with the eloquence we recieved from a Bush statement. What the hell difference does it make?
post #77 of 128
Quote:

And you actually believe he has time for this?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #78 of 128
Quote:

It appears that you are whining that Barack Obama actually prepared before he went to the Republican Retreat to answer previously unheard questions.

Ill just read your post again.

Yes, it appears that, even though Barack Obama made a room full of Republican representatives look foolish, you believe it somehow doesnt count because he might have done some preparation first.

As for the earpiece: we can both click on the link. Everyone can see this film.

Who the fuck are you trying to convince?

You must, you MUST read better blogs. Because if you don't trust the evidence of your eyes, of your OWN EYES, over bullshit you read on the internet, really... you don't deserve to have any of your opinions taken seriously by anyone, ever.
post #79 of 128
Quote:

It appears that you are whining that Barack Obama actually prepared before he went to the Republican Retreat to answer previously unheard questions.

Ill just read your post again.

Yes, it appears that, even though Barack Obama made a room full of Republican representatives look foolish, you believe it somehow doesnt count because he might have done some preparation first.

Christ.

Yes, that's how it works in politics. His staffers come up with 'gotcha' questions, so that he can prepare what to say, should they come up.
My whole point is that he is as dumb as liberals think President Bush is, when he isn't spitting out prepared statements, answers, or reading a speech.
It would be one thing, if he genuinely stuttered. His verbal crutch, however, shows he has difficulty trying to figure out what to say, when not prepped, or reading-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyW9e5QdWxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njy-5...eature=related
post #80 of 128
Quote:

Partisan rant. Besides nothing can compare with the eloquence we recieved from a Bush statement. What the hell difference does it make?

What does President Bush have to do with Oama being dim-whitted?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › State of the Union 2010