or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year - Page 4

post #121 of 224
After really reading the article I've noticed the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With an aggressive $499 starting price point, Wall Street analysts believe Apple's e-reading, game playing, media consuming iPad device is a worthwhile risk that will become a multi-million seller in its first year.

What a predictable analysts

Quote:
Across the board Thursday, analysts were bullish in their reactions to Apple's newly announced multi-touch iPad. First-year sales predictions range from 1 million to 4 million, with potential for growth even further as the market expands and further iterations of the product improve.

Another vague statement to any newly released product

Quote:
Analyst Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company called the iPad "another winner," noting that the device's true potential will not be realized until developers create new software for it on the Apple App Store.

"Apple is a company willing to take risks and define new categories of products," Wolf said. "The iPad is not a revolutionary product. But it has the potential to become one once the creative juices of content providers are unleashed."

How can a device not be "revolutionary" when released but when more software is on the device then it's magically "revolutionary". The analysts should have said " The iPad is the foundation of a new breakthrough category of how we utilize an information appliance." His comments fall along the lines of " the iPhone wasn't revolutionary until the iPhone 3Gs arrived." It's a very presuppose statement

Quote:
Acknowledging that reaction from the tech community has not been particularly enthusiastic, analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets quipped that "not everyone initially liked the Ten Commandments either -- but they endured."

RBC Capital Markets

Abramsky said the $629 starting price for the 3G-enabled iPad, along with an absence of what he called "hoped-for features," may leave some investors skeptical of the iPad -- but they shouldn't be.

"With iPad, Apple creates a revolutionary e-reading, browsing, media, gaming experience," Abramsky wrote to investors Thursday. "Newspapers, Web pages, books 'come alive' with video, animation, color and fullscreen touch."

RBC Seems to get it, from the sound of things.

Quote:
He did note that the lack of Verizon compatibility, absence of a camera, and inability to multitask were disappointing. But Abramsky believes the simplicity of the iPad will be its greatest strength.

He has forecast first-year sales of 5 million, adding 30 cents earnings per share to AAPL stock with an average iPad selling price of $600.

Again it's only so much one can say about a device that isn't even available to the public yet so I applaud RBC for being impregnable about this.

Quote:
Kaufman Bros.

Analyst Shaw Wu noted the $130 premium for the 3G-connected iPad could be a deterrent for potential buyers. He believes the Wi-Fi only version of the hardware could ultimately prove to be the best seller.

In addition to hardware price, Wu said 3G speeds are typically too slow for primary Web browsing. Plus, he said consumers will likely be reluctant to buy an additional data plan if they already have one with a smartphone.

"We see iPad as a new product category that is superior as a shared device in a group setting (such as a living room or meeting) or as an ultra-portable computer," Wu wrote. "Sure, there could be some cannibalization, but it doesn't quite replicate the functionality or for m factor of either device."

The analyst had hands-on time with the device and came away impressed. Wu did not forecast first-year sales, but noted that supply chain checks indicate Apple intends to build 5 million units in its first 12 months, and as many as 10 million units in its second year.

Played it safe and sounds like he'll base his predictions off numbers not postulation

Quote:
Needham & Company

Wolf has taken a long-view with the iPad, noting that the iPod and iPhone both got off to relatively slow starts before they experienced explosive growth. But the iPad has an advantage, he said, due to its access to more than 140,000 applications on the App Store.

Because Apple is defining a new category of devices, sales of the iPad are likely to ramp slowly," Wolf said. "But the $500 starting price point is low enough to attract a sizable portion of the early adopter crowd, consisting of iPhone and iPod owners.

"It's noteworthy that the iPad's initial price is below the iPhone's initial price and not much higher than the price of the first iPod, introduced in 2001. Our best guess at this time is the Apple could sell four million iPads in its initial year on the market, which translates into at least $2 billion of revenue."

Initial plans are for the iPad to only be sold through Apple's online and retail stores. However, Wolf said he would expect the device to see wider availability in the future.

Oppenheimer

Analyst Yair Reiner noted that although the iPad was revealed in a presentation that lasted over an hour, its true use and potential will take some time to be realized.

"It won't happen overnight," he said, "but in time, we believe that what looks today like a big iPhone or amputated netbook or a souped-up photo frame will be revealed as a revolutionary new media device."

He noted that copycat devices will inevitably crop up, but Apple's advantage lies in the iTunes ecosystem. Competitors will have a hard time replicating the 125 million active iTunes accounts with credit cards that Apple has in its camp.

Reiner has included sales of 1.1 million iPad units in the first year in his projections, a total he said is conservative. For the second year, he has forecast 4 million, while checks with suppliers indicate Apple is prepared to ship 10 million units.

Oppenheimer has increased its price target for AAPL stock to $265, from $255.

Broadpoint.AmTech

Analyst Brian Marshall said he believes Apple "surpassed expectations" with the iPad reveal. He had initially forecast 2.2 million shipments in the first year, but said he now believes "an order of magnitude higher number is likely more accurate."

Marshall did a breakdown of hardware costs for the device, and believes the $499 model would cost Apple $290.50 in to manufacture. The high-end $829 model has an estimated component cost of $383, resulting in a gross margin of 54.4 percent.

With margins that high, Marshall said Apple could add as much as $1.34, or 11.2 percent, to its earnings per share with sales of 7 million iPads at a $628 average selling price. The average gross margin of 48 percent would add $4.4 billion in revenue, or $1.3 billion in net income.

Marshall said he did not fully appreciate the iPad until he had a hands-on demo with it.

"While we were impressed with the specs during the briefing given by Mr. Jobs, it was not until we actually used the iPad for ~15 minutes we were convinced this will be another grand slam product for AAPL," he said. "The ergonomics and 'media' experience of the device (i.e. Internet browsing, e-reading and watching videos on the 9.7" screen) stood out the most to us."

Caris & Company

Buy, don't sell, on the news, is the recommendation of analyst Robert Cihra. Like all other analysts, he believes the iPad will be a success, based on Apple's ability to leverage the unique in-house core abilities ranging from hardware and software engineering to the existing iTunes ecosystem.

"We believe investors should be buying AAPL share, not 'selling the news,' with consensus numbers too low and valuation quite compelling," Cihra said.

He noted that Apple doesn't do cheap, it does different, and the $499 competitive price of the iPad will be a strength to kickstart the platform. He also has high expectations for the iBooks app and its accompanying iBookstore.

"Taking a page out of its own playbook, we see no reason why the new iPad+iBookstore can't do for print media what iPod+iTunes did for music," he said, "while we think gaming also holds potential as a long-term homerun."

Bottom Line is their are people who in the investment world and on here who make spurious remarks about the iPad and have no attestation to prove otherwise.

Lets just wait and see during the launch of the device to say our conclusive or naysaying comments.

These discussions need to be abrogated.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #122 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

True, but it does indicate that the typical male-dominated CE market has a much better balance for Apple products. I think Quadra's point is valid as he said "Apple products are popular with women" which implies a comparison to non-Apple products, not "more popular with women" which might imply a compared to the males.

I agree with him but was providing levity in the second line of my quote due to his chosen third source.
post #123 of 224
the iPad will be huge as long as the software comes fast. i don't see any reason to buy this thing now but if the iWork suite and brushes are any indication of what can be done, this is going to be great.

i just worry that it was released a little too soon. the home screen on the thing looks ridiculous with a few tiny iPhone apps. it needs some sort of widgets or something on there. come on OS4!!!

as for multitasking - everyone here is furious that it's not available, but the iPad is perfect for people like my parents - people who don't know how to use Word, but love to surf the internet, receive emails and see photos of their grandkids.

this is the perfect computer for Apple to release - it's simple. it's like the invention of GUI. [which was terrible at first for power users but is now the standard on 99.9% of computers]
post #124 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well thats reall only your opinion. Based on what you thought this Tablet would bring to the table and your comments over the last few weeks not sure how much weight we can put on that opinion.

At least with a Windows based Tablet you get a fully functioning computer. Unlike this where you can't even work on a document and stream music.

Not to mentioned yet again you are chained not only to ATT but to iTunes. A front mounted cam for video would have been nice and maybe Flash, you know what the rest of the world uses.

Functionality comes second to usability. Apple got the latter right at least, it looks like an enjoyable device. No front mounted cam is a deal breaker for me, but that will likely be added later.

Also, I thought HTC had some sort of patent concerning capacitive styli?
post #125 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

show us the numbers, we'd like to see some data backing your statement

Actually women are peeved about the name "iPad" and the menstrual jokes just keep flowing...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #126 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Actually women are peeved about the name "iPad" and the menstrual jokes just keep flowing...

post #127 of 224
Quote:

Thats the problem the cam is a deal breaker for you and there are so many functions lacking in this device its not hard for most of use to find a deal breaker. Apple keeing everyone chained to iTunes which has become nothing more then a bloated mess is a deal breaker. However for Windows users that is far less of a problem because we have software to get around that issue. Thankfully.

2007 wants its talking points back.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #128 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm sure they'll forget about it in a few days.
post #129 of 224
Quote:

Bottom liine this has nothing to do with the investment world. Based on real users on this forum and others this was teh thud heard around the world. For the exception of the diehard fanboys this product was a major disappointment.

Please I'm a "Fan Boy" of Apples but the ones who are complaining are just showing they had inexorable minds from the beginning.

Each device Apple has now is winnow, for a variety of users (current & new).

I plan to use the device for my photography and plane flights/road trips. That beats bringing out a laptop for such leisure uses.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #130 of 224
Quote:

Thats the problem the cam is a deal breaker for you and there are so many functions lacking in this device its not hard for most of use to find a deal breaker. Apple keeing everyone chained to iTunes which has become nothing more then a bloated mess is a deal breaker. However for Windows users that is far less of a problem because we have software to get around that issue. Thankfully.

umm...

I sure am glad that the bearings companies forced all the wheel manufacturers for skateboards to keep that little indent on each side of the wheel the same. too bad they locked us all in or who knows what we would have done.

don't worry about, you don't need to understand anyway
post #131 of 224
For me, someone hearing iPad and immediately thinking about a feminine hygiene product may have it's foundation in immaturity. These are the same folks who use "that's what she said" on a regular basis.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #132 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the iPad will be huge as long as the software comes fast. i don't see any reason to buy this thing now but if the iWork suite and brushes are any indication of what can be done, this is going to be great.

i just worry that it was released a little too soon. the home screen on the thing looks ridiculous with a few tiny iPhone apps. it needs some sort of widgets or something on there. come on OS4!!!

as for multitasking - everyone here is furious that it's not available, but the iPad is perfect for people like my parents - people who don't know how to use Word, but love to surf the internet, receive emails and see photos of their grandkids.

this is the perfect computer for Apple to release - it's simple. it's like the invention of GUI. [which was terrible at first for power users but is now the standard on 99.9% of computers]

there's 140K+ applications available for ipad...they're leveraging their app store...i don't think it's too soon, however, i'd like to see what apps can be written that are ipad only...
post #133 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

For me, someone hearing iPad and immediately thinking about a feminine hygiene product may have it's foundation in immaturity. These are the same folks who use "that's what she said" on a regular basis.

Remember, the shortened term 'pad' has been used in that sense for a long time and there was even a classic, well known MadTV skit about an iPad describing that very thing. That is the first impression of the name for many people but that doesn't mean they're going to start chuckling to their themselves like Beavis and Butthead everytime they hear it.

That said, I look forward to SNL completely bashing it this weekend. I expect comments about it being a big iPhone and references to a feminine product to be part of the Weekend Update.

PS: Boobies!
post #134 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Please I'm a "Fan Boy" of Apples but the ones who are complaining are just showing they had inexorable minds from the beginning.

Each device Apple has now is winnow, for a variety of users (current & new).

I plan to use the device for my photography and plane flights/road trips. That beats bringing out a laptop for such leisure uses.

I also would use one to take notes in meetings (where not too much typing is needed) or classes. Mail / lite surfing while at the Cabin, too.

I think apple envisions a class room where this replaces a pencil, notepad, and textbooks by rolling them all into one. Eventually it may get there.
post #135 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I also would use one to take notes in meetings (where not too much typing is needed) or classes. Mail / lite surfing while at the Cabin, too.

I think apple envisions a class room where this replaces a pencil, notepad, and textbooks by rolling them all into one. Eventually it may get there.

Don't forget the education market is HIGH PRIORITY for Apple with this device, it's been their core market for decades.

Like you, I feel the device will fit my needs seamlessly
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #136 of 224
Quote:

When it comes to the iPad 1990 wants its hardware back.

That's your comeback, knowing how advanced the HW is? How about thinking about retort for a second next time. We are clearly talking about the iPad so saying "when it comes to the iPad" is redundant losing momentum of a witty remark.

Here's your new riposte: "1990 wants its form-factor back."
post #137 of 224
Quote:

Remember, the shortened term 'pad' has been used in that sense for a long time and there was even a classic, well known MadTV skit about an iPad describing that very thing. That is the first impression of the name for many people but that doesn't mean they're going to start chuckling to their themselves like Beavis and Butthead everytime they hear it.

That said, I look forward to SNL completely bashing it this weekend. I expect comments about it being a big iPhone and references to a feminine product to be part of the Weekend Update.

PS: Boobies!

I'm sure we can expect jest statements for quite awhile.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #138 of 224
solipsism or any other knowledgeable person, can you comment on why the ipad that includes 2100mhz would be prevented from working on the 2100mhz umts networks in the US (despite being limited in coverage)?
post #139 of 224
Quote:

Maybe to avoid confusion they should not rename the iPod Touch to the iPad Nano....

Touche
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #140 of 224
Quote:

I'd think for the customers Apple are aiming for, a simple and intuitive interface for the form factor far outweighs the missing features. I doubt Apple are trying to sell this to me as a Macbook + iPhone owner (if they are, they're not doing a very good job).

The fact that it's tied to iTunes (and won't work very well as a primary computer) is pretty lame though. I don't think that train ride would be very comfortable either...
post #141 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

The iPad doesn't have the same sex appeal as the iPhone. Imagine saying.. hey, do you have my ipad to any female... lol.

Bloody pads.

I don't get it. What is the BIG DEAL with "Pad"? And why is a feminine pad the first thing that comes to mind to everyone making fun of the name? Are the guys out there all married or have girlfriends that force them to buy maxi pads at the supermarket or drug store? Are they traumatized by the word "pad"? I'm an artist; I have a sketch "pad" with me all the time. I have a note "pad" for taking notes and on my desk I have a message "pad". These are what come to mind when I hear "pad".
post #142 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I don't get it. What is the BIG DEAL with "Pad"? And why is a feminine pad the first thing that comes to mind to everyone making fun of the name? Are the guys out there all married or have girlfriends that force them to buy maxi pads at the supermarket or drug store? Are they traumatized by the word "pad"? I'm an artist; I have a sketch "pad" with me all the time. I have a note "pad" for taking notes and on my desk I have a message "pad". These are what come to mind when I hear "pad".

tread slowly, you're being normal, and I am not sure that everyone here would appreciate that.
post #143 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

And Austin Powers lives and shags in his- "pad".
Muahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
post #144 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Don't forget the education market is HIGH PRIORITY for Apple with this device, it's been their core market for decades.

Like you, I feel the device will fit my needs seamlessly

I wish this was designed for the education market. I see nothing with the tablet to date that will replace textbooks.

I think it needs to have advanced annotations for highlighting, underlining, strikethrough, etc. It needs to allow text and diagrams to be written on the page itself with and without a stylus, with a quick option to remove from view or show. It has to be always be linked to that page in the book and globally searchable. The stylus is too important in classes for writing fine points to be favoured for a sausage finger.
post #145 of 224
You guys can keep going on about what the iPad doesn't have if you want. Meanwhile I've been focussed on what it does have and noticed this yesterday and am surprised that no one is discussing it yet.

Quote:
File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.

I thought that was one of the major features that people wanted. You get it and say nothing about it. Of course this is just a big iPhone/iPod touch, except for the hidden features like that and the fact that Apple has already demonstrated that the bigger screen and increased processing power can be used to generate much more advanced apps. Blind hatred is stupid. Products sell based on what they have, not what they don't have. While there are a few things that should be there, I feel this device has enough features to sell fairly well, and more will come mostly through software.

But I digress, continue pinning your ears back and screaming about the lack of a camera an multitasking.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #146 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

5. Horrible name. Period.

Quote of the day!
post #147 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

tread slowly, you're being normal, and I am not sure that everyone here would appreciate that.

Point taken. LOL.
post #148 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You guys can keep going on about what the iPad doesn't have if you want. Meanwhile I've been focussed on what it does have and noticed this yesterday and am surprised that no one is discussing it yet.

I thought that was one of the major features that people wanted. You get it and say nothing about it. Of course this is just a big iPhone/iPod touch, except for the hidden features like that and the fact that Apple has already demonstrated that the bigger screen and increased processing power can be used to generate much more advanced apps. Blind hatred is stupid. Products sell based on what they have, not what they don't have. While there are a few things that should be there, I feel this device has enough features to sell fairly well, and more will come mostly through software.

But I digress, continue pinning your ears back and screaming about the lack of a camera an multitasking.

Dude, you gave us a link stating that it has no mutiltasking and then rank on somebody who stated the same thing?
post #149 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

don't try convince them. Really!
I would prefer to be able to order mine and receive it as soon as possible.
If letting them have their negative ideas about the ipad means I am more likely to get one during the first batch, I want them to not like it.

I also hope that shared file directory can actually be the idisk folder. It should work and then I wouldn't actually need to physically connect to sync documents.
post #150 of 224
Hit quick reply by accident
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #151 of 224
"[iPhone] just doesn't matter anymore. There are now alternatives to the iPhone, which has been introduced everywhere else in the world. It's no longer a novelty." - Eamon Hoey, Hoey and Associates, April 30, 2008

"We are not at all worried. We think we've got the one mobile platform you'll use for the rest of your life. [Apple] are not going to catch up." - Scott Rockfeld, Microsoft Mobile Communications Group Product Manager, April 01, 2008

"Microsoft, with Windows Mobile/ActiveSync, Nokia with Intellisync, and Motorola with Good Technology have all fared poorly in the enterprise. We have no reason to expect otherwise from Apple." - Peter Misek, Canaccord Adams analyst, March 07, 2008

"[Apple should sell 7.9 million iPhones in 2008]... Apple's goal of selling 10 million iPhones this year is optimistic." - Toni Sacconaghi, Bernstein Research analyst, February 22, 2008

"What does the iPhone offer that other cell phones do not already offer, or will offer soon? The answer is not very much... Apples stated goal of selling 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 seems ambitious." - Laura Goldman, LSG Capital, May 21, 2007

Motorola's then-Chairman and then-CEO Ed Zander said his company was ready for competition from Apple's iPhone, due out the following month. "How do you deal with that?" Zander was asked at the Software 2007 conference. Zander quickly retorted, "How do they deal with us?" - Ed Zander, May 10, 2007

"The iPhone is going to be nothing more than a temporary novelty that will eventually wear off." - Gundeep Hora, CoolTechZone Editor-in-Chief, April 02, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone... What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it's smart it will call the iPhone a 'reference design' and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures... Otherwise I'd advise people to cover their eyes. You are not going to like what you'll see." - John C. Dvorak, Bloated Gas Bag, March 28, 2007

"Even if [the iPhone] is opened up to third parties, it is difficult to see how the installed base of iPhones can reach the level where it becomes a truly attractive service platform for operator and developer investment." - Tony Cripps, Ovum Service Manager for Mobile User Experience, March 14, 2007

"I'm more convinced than ever that, after an initial frenzy of publicity and sales to early adopters, iPhone sales will be unspectacular... iPhone may well become Apple's next Newton." - David Haskin, Computerworld, February 26, 2007

"There's an old saying -- stick to your knitting -- and Apple is not a mobile phone manufacturer, that's not their knitting... I think people overreacted to it -- there was not a lot of tremendously new stuff if you think about it." - Greg Winn, Telstra's operations chief, February 15, 2007

"Consumers are not used to paying another couple hundred bucks more just because Apple makes a cool product. Some fans will buy [iPhone], but for the rest of us it's a hard pill to swallow just to have the coolest thing." - Neil Strother, NPD Group analyst, January 22, 2007

"I cant believe the hype being given to iPhone... I just have to wonder who will want one of these things (other than the religious faithful)... So please mark this post and come back in two years to see the results of my prediction: I predict they will not sell anywhere near the 10M Jobs predicts for 2008." - Richard Sprague, Microsoft Senior Marketing Director, January 18, 2007

"The iPhone's willful disregard of the global handset market will come back to haunt Apple." - Tero Kuittinen, RealMoney.com, January 18, 2007

"[Apple's iPhone] is the most expensive phone in the world and it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard which makes it not a very good email machine... So, I, I kinda look at that and I say, well, I like our strategy. I like it a lot." - Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO, January 17, 2007

"The iPhone is nothing more than a luxury bauble that will appeal to a few gadget freaks. In terms of its impact on the industry, the iPhone is less relevant... Apple is unlikely to make much of an impact on this market... Apple will sell a few to its fans, but the iPhone won't make a long-term mark on the industry." - Matthew Lynn, Bloomberg, January 15, 2007

"iPhone which doesn't look, I mean to me, I'm looking at this thing and I think it's kind of trending against, you know, what's really going, what people are really liking on, in these phones nowadays, which are those little keypads. I mean, the Blackjack from Samsung, the Blackberry, obviously, you know kind of pushes this thing, the Palm, all these... And I guess some of these stocks went down on the Apple announcement, thinking that Apple could do no wrong, but I think Apple can do wrong and I think this is it." - John C. Dvorak, Bloated Gas Bag, January 13, 2007

"I am pretty skeptical. I dont think [iPhone] will meet the fantastic predictions I have been reading. For starters, while Apple basically established the market for portable music players, the phone market is already established, with a number of major brands. Can Apple remake the phone market in its image? Success is far from guaranteed." - Jack Gold, founder and principal analyst at J. Gold Associates, January 11, 2007

"Apple will launch a mobile phone in January, and it will become available during 2007. It will be a lovely bit of kit, a pleasure to behold, and its limited functionality will be easy to access and use. The Apple phone will be exclusive to one of the major networks in each territory and some customers will switch networks just to get it, but not as many as had been hoped. As customers start to realise that the competition offers better functionality at a lower price, by negotiating a better subsidy, sales will stagnate. After a year a new version will be launched, but it will lack the innovation of the first and quickly vanish. The only question remaining is if, when the iPod phone fails, it will take the iPod with it." - Bill Ray, The Register, December 26, 2006

"The economics of something like [an Apple iPhone] aren't that compelling." - Rod Bare, Morningstar analyst, December 08, 2006

"Apple is slated to come out with a new phone... And it will largely fail.... Sales for the phone will skyrocket initially. However, things will calm down, and the Apple phone will take its place on the shelves with the random video cameras, cell phones, wireless routers and other would-be hits... When the iPod emerged in late 2001, it solved some major problems with MP3 players. Unfortunately for Apple, problems like that don't exist in the handset business. Cell phones aren't clunky, inadequate devices. Instead, they are pretty good. Really good." - Michael Kanellos, CNET, December 07, 2006

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, November 16, 2006
post #152 of 224
Quote:

I wish this was designed for the education market. I see nothing with the tablet to date that will replace textbooks.

I think it needs to have advanced annotations for highlighting, underlining, strikethrough, etc. It needs to allow text and diagrams to be written on the page itself with and without a stylus, with a quick option to remove from view or show. It has to be always be linked to that page in the book and globally searchable. The stylus is too important in classes for writing fine points to be favoured for a sausage finger.

Prodigious response BTW, I just PM you
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #153 of 224
Quote:

don't try convince them. Really!
I would prefer to be able to order mine and receive it as soon as possible.
If letting them have their negative ideas about the ipad means I am more likely to get one during the first batch, I want them to not like it.

hmmm good point.
post #154 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

Why would we ever see Flash?, its a resource hog, and opens the door to ANY flash software no matter how indifferent the application- enabling Flash is a gateway to losing control of the platform and that's not going to happen.

As much as I have always gone on record as Pro-Flash I totally agree with no Flash on iPhone/iPad or any proprietary touch screen devices. Reason: Flash is usually very mouse hover centric and touch screen doesn't do that. And for all the reason you say as well.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #155 of 224
Quote:

solipsism or any other knowledgeable person, can you comment on why the ipad that includes 2100mhz would be prevented from working on the 2100mhz umts networks in the US (despite being limited in coverage)?

It doesn't look like anything in the US uses it.
post #156 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

• "[iPhone] just doesn't matter anymore. There are now alternatives to the iPhone, which has been introduced everywhere else in the world. It's no longer a novelty." - Eamon Hoey, Hoey and Associates, April 30, 2008

• "We are not at all worried. We think we've got the one mobile platform you'll use for the rest of your life. [Apple] are not going to catch up." - Scott Rockfeld, Microsoft Mobile Communications Group Product Manager, April 01, 2008

• "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, November 16, 2006

wish we could interview all of these people today and ask the question again about the iphone, and then ask about the ipad.
post #157 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The thing I'm disappointed in most is the camera connection kit. It seems to me they could have had one internal SD slot and one USB jack. I don't like having to keep track of adapters, and I don't like rigid lever-like tabs sticking out a device, that's too much of a risk of damaging the port.

Indeed and aren't those adapters mutually exclusive with the docks?

post #158 of 224
Quote:

It doesn't look like anything in the US uses it.

thanks
post #159 of 224
It will happen overnight. This is the fridge / kitchen computer everyone has been waiting for. This is the in car computer everyone has been waiting for. this is the computer for every place where one does not sit down - from warehouse to the Front of House in Restaurants, etc. this is a no-brainer.
post #160 of 224
The iPad is a very closed device, it offers no usb ports, no access to its own file system, there's no way I can download files to the device from the web and access them. I like the direction apple has gone with this, its just lacking some key features that could have been easily implemented, sorry, but I'm going to pass on the iPad.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year