or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year - Page 5

post #161 of 224

The only link I read was the last one and nowhere does it indicate that apple products are more popular with women. Google harder, pls.

Edit: so I clicked through another couple. Popular yes.
post #162 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

"[iPhone] just doesn't matter anymore. ..........

etc etc

..... They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, November 16, 2006

Brilliant!
post #163 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

.... no access to its own file system, there's no way I can download files to the device from the web and access them......

Where did you see this? Is that confirmed? If so, can you please provide a cite or a link?
post #164 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where did you see this? Is that confirmed? If so, can you please provide a cite or a link?

Jobs said you could save a iWork pages document as a word file and email it to a colleague using MSWORD, so it must have some kind of filesystem, or in the cloud filesystem.
post #165 of 224
Anyone mentioned that the iPad has changeable backgrounds? Seeing how this was such a point for people to jailbreak their iPhone I thought it was an awesome addition to the OS.

That and support for wireless-n, of course.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #166 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Are you kidding me advanced hardware? A 1ghz processor thats advanced? You can get that in any netbook. A max of 64gb of storage? NO CAM? This is 2010 remember. A 720p res? You do know we have 1080p these days.

Not to mention. No multi-tasking, no flash, poor screen choice for ebook reading too much glare.

By the way weren't you the one that said it was going to have this great new UI. Where is that? Also wasn't going to use iPhone OS, you nailed that one too. At least Ireland agreed to eat his hat.

Apple had never been accused of using advanced hardware compared to everyone else which is why we just got quad core systems in our consumer models.

Don't worry the year is still young I expect you to be wrong on the MBP processor update also.

OK, this is getting old, let me break this down once and for all. This isn't just for you, but everyone moaning about a device they haven't used

1ghz processor-Really? I thought we got past this whole "clock speed is the only thing that matters in processors" thing. Did you SEE the videos? This thing is going AMAZINGLY fast. And if the processor is only 1ghz and they are getting that, I don't see what the problem is.

Max of 64 gig storage - I think that is pretty good for something that isn't your main computer. When this comes out I am going to get a 16 gig one, as I don't need any more.

No camera - I am sorry, but why is this important? My household has 3 computers, all with built in webcams (there will be a fourth one when I get my MBP). So why does an iPad need a camera? It isn't a computer replacement and is too large to take photos or video well. And video conferencing? Sorry, but you should do that something that sits much more stable...like a laptop or a desktop...or even a netbook, but not with a tablet. It doesn't make sense. Besides, we BARELY use our webcams and I know very few that do often...just cam whores really. So Apple didn't include something that wouldn't be needed and the price got lower!

720p res - 1080p is overkill on such a small screen, most people wont be able to tell the difference. Again, a more trivial feature so it was cut out to save price. Besides, iTunes movie only go up to 720p so why should Apple sell a device that goes higher than that at the moment?

No flash - As others have said, flash is designed for mouse interface and is a resource hog. I think something like flash will come but I don't see much loss in not being able to watch Homestar Runner on my iPod touch.

No multitasking - I have not seen a mobile device do multitasking well so I don't hold Apple to do it with the iPhone OS until they can do it right. Case and point is my Blackberry. It sucks at multitasking. With only a few programs running, it begins going so slow that I have to do a battery pull. That's right, in order to reboot my phone, I have to take the battery out, wait a minute and put it back in. There is no button to do it and no first party software to do it. I have to download another program (and if my phone is running too slow, the program wont work and I have to do it manually anyways). So yeah, you can't listen to streaming radio while working on a document right now. You can still listen to your own music can't you? But this is a software fix and I have no doubt in my mind that Apple will do it and do it well. Best of all, you can actually reboot the iPhone OS devices quickly and easily! Much better than what RIM gave me.

The screen - Meh, I don't think it will be too bad, but I will conceed that some people may not like reading on it. I don't know if I will, I will have to try. But I have read on my iPod touch and I can only assume that the screen will be similar.

I think everyone needs to calm down and just relax. It is just a big iPhone. Despite what I thought could be possible, this is about what I expected and it makes perfect sense for what they had in mind. For some reason, people put this to incredibly unreal expectations and when it didn't become the second coming, they are all saying how disappointed they are. Get over yourselves. This wont be a revolution in computing, but I think it is an excellent step towards said revolution.
The iSlate cometh
The iSlate cometh
post #167 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

Jobs said you could save a iWork pages document as a word file and email it to a colleague using MSWORD, so it must have some kind of filesystem, or in the cloud filesystem.

Every device has a file system, but not every device has file system visible to the user. Tasks such as emailing pages documents could be accomplished without an individual seeing much of the file system. However based on what I've read (and linked earlier), there will be at at least one folder visible on the iPad and on a computer when connected.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #168 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

No multitasking - I have not seen a mobile device do multitasking well so I don't hold Apple to do it with the iPhone OS until they can do it right. .

WebOS seems to do multitasking very well from what I have seen. That said, I think you are correct about Apple doing it right. There must be something to it that we obviously dont know.
post #169 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

Also, without some sort of ability to download/store, how do I watch movies, edit/present a Keynote, read a book......?!
post #170 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Also, without some sort of ability to download/store, how do I watch movies, edit/present a Keynote, read a book......?!

Of course you can already do this in a limited way with the iPhone/touch, the files are simply limited in the way you can see them (to the apps that actually use the files). Some seem to be expecting a file system like a Mac or Windows, without describing why they'd actually need such a thing on a device of this kind. Maybe they think it's obvious, but it's not.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #171 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

WebOS seems to do multitasking very well from what I have seen. That said, I think you are correct about Apple doing it right. There must be something to it that we obviously dont know.

Mobile Safari does multitasking too.
post #172 of 224
Quote:

You know, I haven't played much with the Web OS phones. If I dont' get a Verizon iPhone when my contract is up, I may check them out.
The iSlate cometh
The iSlate cometh
post #173 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

You know, I haven't played much with the Web OS phones. If I dont' get a Verizon iPhone when my contract is up, I may check them out.

The OS seems fine. Its the keyboard that bothers me. It may be standard size, I wouldnt know, just seems awful small to me.
post #174 of 224
This is going to be a massive success.

One thing that will drive that will be developers. Once real apps are create to this thing start to trickle in, then we will see the true capability of this.

Also I think multitasking might come once the new os. 4.0 arrives. Maybe there is a reason why in 2 months they will start selling this. Apple might be putting the final touches on it.
I am buying one for sure and also can't wait for the new iPhone. Good times ahead for Apple.

Now for us professionals, please MacPro and MBP updates!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #175 of 224
Quote:

The problem is if you want the top model with 3g you are about 170.00 away from a Macbook which can do alot more. I wouldn't fault them as much if the 499.00 model came with 32gb of storage.

If you wait a bit, I am sure it will come with 32GB for $499. Happened with the iPod touch, happened with AppleTV, happened with the Macbooks.
post #176 of 224
Quote:

Did the stock hit 270 yet today?

Wall Street not liking the iPad does not a bad product make.

As Quadra has already pointed out, most analysts didnt like the iPhone as well. And we all know what a huge failure it has been.

Dont forget this is the same Wall Street that thought housing prices would climb infinitely.
post #177 of 224
Quote:

Wait until April/May.

Apple will have a tough time keeping up with demand.

Go right ahead and iCal my predicitons (or in your case, note them in Outlook.)

I'll wager about 70% of Apple forum goers are consistently wrong about Apple and its market. About nearly everything, from Apple's marketing, to "missing features" tanking a product, to Apple's sales in a recession, what they think the consumer wants (which means they're talking about what THEY want and projecting that onto everyone else), headless Macs, and a whole laundry list of additional criticisms that are not reflected in the wider market whatsoever and never will be. The reason they're here is to complain, and believe it or not, in the faint hope that (wait for it . . .) someone from Apple actually reads these forums and will in some way take their whining to heart! Or, that they can rally enough support to feel good about their wrong-headed position - because naturally, they are surrounded by like-minded complainers.

Most Apple forums goers are WRONG. They have been wrong for years now, and never actually "get" what everyone who doesn't hang out in internet forums gets without any effort. This happens every time Apple releases what they say will be a breakthrough product. Then it does spectacularly well, and these same people readjust their thinking somewhat, yet keep complaining about the same things!

Apple can sell double, triple - you name it - the number of iPhones quarter for quarter, and these same people will say: "But it won't last long", or "Apple has to hurry up and innovate" or some other nonsense. It's insane.

And it all comes down to one thing: Selfish thinking (as if their "needs" are shared by everyone) and a sense of entitlement.

Listen to Joe Average (who doesn't frequent forums and represents the vast bulk of Apple's market) for the real lowdown on Apple's products. Get out of the MS/PeeCee tech-head way of thinking.

Yes, I can probably accomplish most of these (abc or xyz) things with any netbook running Windows, and perhaps do a bit more with the same (for now.) But I'd rather not use something that looks, feels, and acts like dogshit. I kind of care about the environment in which I work. Do ya get it??
post #178 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

Why would we ever see Flash?, its a resource hog, and opens the door to ANY flash software no matter how indifferent the application- enabling Flash is a gateway to losing control of the platform and that's not going to happen.

Flash is like 90% of all TV shows or streaming.

This tablet is a huge letdown.

This story sums it up well...

The Anti-Hype: Why Apples iPad Disappoints
The iPad is not the transformational device so many Apple enthusiasts were hoping for. It wont turn all the content industries upside down, it wont be your primary computing device, and its not even a bigger, better iPhone.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPad as a device to fill the gap between smartphones like the iPhone and high-end laptops like the MacBook and MacBook Pro. He said there needs to be a middle device, but it needs to be better than the alternatives at what it does. Netbooks currently fill the void, but according to Jobs, netbooks arent better at anything. He and his colleagues at Apple believe that the iPad is.

Apples website and promotional video call the iPad magical. Were told the iPad is the best way to experience the web, e-mail, photos, and videos. Hands down. But its not its not even close. Its mighty cool, its super convenient and its very sexy, but its not even better than a netbook at some of those things.

This isnt the middle device folks have been waiting for because and Im using Steve Jobss own criteria here its not better at anything than any other device on the market. Its a step in that direction, but the day hasnt come yet. Here are just a few of the ways the iPad isnt as magical as Apple claims.

Its Not the Best Way to Browse the Web

Steve Jobs said it needs to be a better web device than the alternatives. The Apple website says its the best way to experience the web. Some variation of that phrase is repeated several times in the promotional video Apple has released. But its just not true.

It might be one of the best ways to browse the web on a mobile device, but laptop and desktop computers even netbooks are still better. Most current websites were designed to be experienced on those devices with a mouse and a keyboard. Maybe the mouse isnt necessary, but you dont have to pop up a software keyboard to type in URLs on a netbook or laptop. Even if you lug around the keyboard dock, it will be a tad awkward moving between the keys and the screen to interact. Youre sacrificing some usability for simplicity on the iPad.

Most importantly, the iPads browser does not support Adobe Flash, the foundation of rich media on the web today. Adobe is planning to make it possible for Flash developers to develop apps, but it wont work on the web.

Ill admit that the decision not to support Flash is a logical one if you start at the right premises; Flash is responsible for countless reported crashes on Macs, and Apple cant control it to ensure quality of experience. Apple is banking on a transition to HTML5 and CSS 3 for rich web content. While that transition has already begun, it hasnt fully happened yet. Until it does, its ridiculous to call this device the best way to experience the web when one of the most ubiquitous and essential web technologies is not supported.

Its an Unprecedented Win for Closed Computing
Many of the software restrictions that drive people mad when theyre using the iPhone are going to be just as frustrating on the iPad. All the devices content apps, songs, TV shows, movies, books, you name it can only be processed through Apples iTunes Store.

You wont be able to drag and drop or share files with other computers like you can with your laptop on your home network. You wont be able to download a program or music file from the web and play it on the spot. You wont be able to use any application that doesnt meet Apples strict approval guidelines. Its closed computing at its most extreme.

Unfortunately weve come to expect that from our smartphones. For a larger device thats supposed to replace your netbook as a complete portable computing solution, though, this is almost unprecedented at least from a device thats likely to have a great deal of influence on the market and on the design of future devices. Thats bad news no matter how you spin it.

Its Not Really a Competitive eReader
The Kindle owns the eReader landscape right now, and the greatest expectation for the iPad was that it would bury the Kindle. While the iPads reader interface is indisputably sweet-looking and the list of participating publishers is promising, there are several ways it just wont beat the Kindle.

The most important issue is the price. The Kindle costs $260; so do Barnes & Nobles Nook and the comparable Sony Reader. The Kindle even comes bundled with free 3G network access, though it admittedly cant do anywhere near as much with it as the iPad can.

But if you are considering the iPad primarily as a reader, that price difference is a big problem. Also a big problem: The lack of an e-ink display. E-ink doesnt wash your face in eye-strain-inducing light like the displays on the iPhone, the iPad and laptop computers do. Its meant to be a soft experience, just like reading a book. Without e-ink, you might not be able to tolerate spending four straight hours reading Stephen Kings latest on a regular display, cool IPS tech aside.

Finally, as impressive as 10 hours of battery life is for a multi-purpose device like the iPad, the Kindle can run in reading mode for a week without recharging longer if Wi-Fi is disabled. Because its trying to do everything, the iPad isnt the best at anything.

Its Not Worth It If You Have a Smartphone and Laptop

If the iPad isnt a good option as a middle device, it ought to at least be attractive to power users and enthusiasts who already have other devices. Unfortunately, its not.

Its not significantly better at anything than either your iPhone or your MacBook. It cant be used as your daily workhorse computer on the go, because just like the iPhones OS 3.1.2 the iPads OS 3.2 doesnt multitask. And if you already have an iPhone, you can do basic information gathering, mapping, and so on while youre on the go without spending an additional $29.99 per month for 3G service.

Furthermore, your laptop or netbook very likely has a web cam for video conferencing, and your cell phone probably has a camera (or even video camera) for capturing images. The iPad has neither.

Since the interface is graceful and satisfying, you might want to buy it as an extra device just for the experience, but at between $499 $829, thats not practical for most consumers.

The Anti-Hype
The iPad isnt going to be a phenomenon with either netbook users or power users. Its not better than existing devices at anything, and its too expensive for most people to use it as a secondary device. I might have said something different if the rumors that the iPad would be all about a new push in the content marketplace were true, but that didnt happen. Instead, we got a cool toy.

In addition, people that don't understand that flash is more than 90% of all media content and Macs have a problem with it.
post #179 of 224
Quote:

It will, my friend, in good time. When cash flow expectations rise to justify that level, not when analysts hyperventilate.

But losers wouldn't know.........
post #180 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

This story sums it up well...

Actually it doesn't. It sums up the perceptions of the device on the internet well. The internet said the iPhone and the iPod were terrible.

PS: Link to the article next time, don't fill the board with that spam.
post #181 of 224
Quote:

The problem isn't just the analysts the problem is most users see this as a letdown. This product did not even come close to living up to the hype.

What hype? The hype you invented in your own mind?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #182 of 224
Quote:

Wall Street not liking the iPad does not a bad product make.

Heh heh. My slight worry is most analysts - at least the ones quoted in the article, if anyone actually read it - seem to like the product!

(I am in the '90% like' camp, enough to tip me over in the direction of a purchase; I have no doubt though, that V2 will come out within the year, with twice the storage and much more functionality).
post #183 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Actually it doesn't. It sums up the perceptions of the device on the internet well. The internet said the iPhone and the iPod were terrible.

My floor says it will be great. The table lamp is excited, too.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #184 of 224
Quote:

Well I am willing to bet you it hits 170.00 before it hits 270.00.

So what?

Some people might actually see that, if your prediction came true, there's a lot of money to be made!
post #185 of 224
The apps alone for this device will rocket it far above and beyond anything else out there and anything else that could be dreamed up *outside* The Apple App Store ecosystem. Developers will make this thing shine. The App Store's about to be taken to the next level, and the iPad is the way to experience it. And who's got all the developers lining up to produce for the iPad? Apple. These are the same ones that are already producing for the iPhone. And with the new opportunities the iPad brings, even more will come on board.

We've already seen content providers turn en masse to Apple. The iPad simply can't fail because all the goodness out there in terms of apps and interactive content will be on the iPad - either via the App Store or iTunes, or the iBooks Store. Apple is THE content distributor of our time, and they do it with ease and stlye. Which means the only complete end to end experience on mobile devices.
post #186 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What hype? The hype you invented in your own mind?

Exactly.
post #187 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Hit quick reply by accident

nice sig
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #188 of 224
Quote:

The market doesn't agree with those numbers. And what was the predicted number before the release? Wasn't it well over 10 million?

I doubt even you can agree with your prediction that this product was going to change the landscape of Slate computing and take over notebooks.

The fact still remains even after this "major" offering Tablets are simply very small segment of the market and will remain so.

the market said $1000 dollars
it is $ 600

the tablet has no market
next year it will be tiny
in 5 yrs it will be monster

and apple will sell 10 million this yr
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #189 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The thing I'm disappointed in most is the camera connection kit. It seems to me they could have had one internal SD slot and one USB jack. I don't like having to keep track of adapters, and I don't like rigid lever-like tabs sticking out a device, that's too much of a risk of damaging the port.

Reality is very few people will use the camera connection kit unless they are traveling and fillup the camera (with multi GB chips in most cameras that is a lot of photos). Most will load the photos on their desktop and synch to the iPad. Down the track camera with wifi will become more common and will synch wirelessly. plugs and slots are old technology
post #190 of 224
Quote:

Yeah I have been hearing that for a while now. The analysts aren't the ones putting this device down, the users are. Big difference. So you going to take my bet 170 before 270? The loser has to leave the forum.

Only if you're shorting the stock. It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Quote:

No I was actually one of the few realistic ones that said from the start this was going to be nothing more then a large iPod Touch. It was thel local fanboys that thought it was going to change the world of computing. You know guys like Quadra saying Slate computing is going to be the end of notebooks.

We don't know what it's going to do, since not a single one has been sold yet, but the real point is, rumors and conjecture aren't hype, they are just rumors and conjecture.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #191 of 224
The most Essential Ipad Accessory is an additional notebook/computer & lots of time spent transferring files to it because of no usb/memory slots or DVD/CD drive. So why not just buy a small all-in-one, lightweight notebook & save your money?
post #192 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by londoncalling View Post

The most Essential Ipad Accessory is an additional notebook/computer & lots of time spent transferring files to it because of no usb/memory slots or DVD/CD drive. So why not just buy a small all-in-one, lightweight notebook & save your money?

Like a Mac Book? Apple wants you to buy both. The iPad isn't a notebook/laptop replacement. It will be a netbook killer, though.
Aren't files going to be transferred through iTunes?
post #193 of 224
Quote:

Because netbooks don't run OS X or any OS made by Apple (meaning their interface sucks ass), and they look like crap and feel like crap. And no touch capability. I like my tools to not be disgusting.
post #194 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Flash is never coming to the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Ever. It's not a technical limitation, its a conscious choice by Apple. And what are you missing really? Ads? Flash sucks. Its a processor hog (especially on OS X). YouTube is already transitioning their videos to the open HTML 5 standard, which the iphone/ipod touch/ipad supports. Flash is dying. Thank God.

And if it's dying on YouTube, it's dying period.
post #195 of 224
Quote:

What is transferred from a DVD or CD these days? The apps here are going to be downloaded. Most media is available in downloadable form.

I am disappointed with the lack of a built-in SD and USB slot.

To me, it's more like you keep a desktop, and the tablet is the mobility device that syncs to the desktop, so it's tablet + desktop instead of netbook/notebook + desktop. A lot of people seem to have more than one computer these days, this lets you keep a desktop and keeps files synced, rather than worrying about the files getting out of sync when you change different files on different computers, and your calendar and contacts stay synced and coherent too.
post #196 of 224
Quote:

Flash is never coming to the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Ever. It's not a technical limitation, its a conscious choice by Apple. And what are you missing really? Ads? Flash sucks. Its a processor hog (especially on OS X). YouTube is already transitioning their videos to the open HTML 5 standard, which the iphone/ipod touch/ipad supports. Flash is dying. Thank God.

Not missing much (without Flash) except a bunch of free video, if you into video. Who says Flash is dying on YouTube (besides a bunch of angry folk on a Apple forum)? Sounds like they are offering an HTML 5 option but it is still there, and everywhere else including Disney.com which Steve Jobs sits on the board.
post #197 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

because a netbook has a lot more features

i was at a tech conference a few months ago and some of the IT people had netbooks. before it started they VPN'd into their corporate network to check things. on a netbook you can load any VPN client and all the management software you want. you can also install MS Office

as a consumer i'll take a netbook since i can install software on it. i can install the steam client and download my games like civilization 4. i can install flash so my wife can play farmville along with 50 million other people. i can watch Hulu via the browser or install the client. no need to pay itunes to watch TV.

iphone is still the best smartphone, but the ipad is a big let down. less features, higher cost and too many limitations

While I Firmly believe a person should get what fits their specific needs, I think this post points toward a common myopic view. Most people don't attend tech conferences and I'm not sure what what VPN is or why I want software management tools for VPN. IT professionals do awesome work and have helped bring in the digital age, but god help us if they they think they can design things without spending considerable time studying design and maybe going to conferences focused on just that. While I can understand why this product isn't something you would find useful, i think with all of the software already available and more powerful ones to come that many millions of people will choose the ipad. The only thing on your post that I think translates to a larger audiance is the game farmville. I don't check my facebook account too often but every time I do it's filled with updates on my friends farms and exhortations for help. That game is insanely popular.
post #198 of 224
Quote:

Flash is not dying...in many professional fields it's THE tool for interactive web stuff. Yes on Macs made before a few years ago it brings the Mac to its knees pathetically. Adobe and Apple need to stop being idiots and play nice and get it on iPhone for both of their sakes. It's one of the most glaring negatives of the iPhone and especially the iPad. I really don't get why Adobe doesn't optimize Flash for Mac and iPhone. Apple probably didn't want to see iPhone slow to a standstill because Flash is programmed so terribly on Mac. But perhaps Adobe was pissed because Apple released a competitor Lightroom or something. It seems Apple and Adobe's relationship has deteriorated...
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #199 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

because a netbook has a lot more features

Anyone can shove a bunch features into a shell and call it a day. Apple has a different philosophy, which has been astoundingly successful. That hasn't changed.
post #200 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Flash is not dying...in many professional fields it's THE tool for interactive web stuff. Yes on Macs made before a few years ago it brings the Mac to its knees pathetically. Adobe and Apple need to stop being idiots and play nice and get it on iPhone for both of their sakes. It's one of the most glaring negatives of the iPhone and especially the iPad. I really don't get why Adobe doesn't optimize Flash for Mac and iPhone. Apple probably didn't want to see iPhone slow to a standstill because Flash is programmed so terribly on Mac. But perhaps Adobe was pissed because Apple released a competitor Lightroom or something. It seems Apple and Adobe's relationship has deteriorated...

Flash for streaming is certainly dying as the standard. There are just too many big players with deep pockets pushing HTML'w open streaming for Flash to survive. With MS attacked them with the Silverlight plug-in make sit considerably more difficult for Adobe to focus., but the groundwork in laid. 2 years the main sites will defaults to HTTML5 video and Google have then punched all of their Flash from their site by then. THe timelines can change, but the trends can nt. Those are solid.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year