or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to target iPad at business users through new features - sources

Apple to target iPad at business users through new features - sources - Page 7

post #241 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Let's settle this once and for all.

Gee, whatta you know? iGenius is right, and all that crap about "needing" the bezel for your thumbs is just lame justification by people dazzled by teh shiny.

The bezel is there because all that fancy sensing technology in the Apple patents we all read about didn't make it into the iPad.

In fact no new sensing tech made it into the iPad. Nothing. Nada. It's multitouch exactly the same as an iPod touch. It's a bigger iPod touch with an emphasis on eBooks.

I am getting used to it and will likely buy one or two, but let's get real.
  • It's not a "revolutionary" device.
  • It does nothing different from the iPod and iPhone.
  • It's just bigger.
The huge bezel is there because on average consumers are clumsy fools and can't be expected to always hold the pad in a way where they aren't touching the screen. In other words it's a dumbed down solution for the average idiot because none of the fancy technology was ready for prime time yet.

Because it's bigger it actually has *less* functionality than an iPod or iPhone in that you cannot thumb type on it.

Therefore one of the biggest drawbacks of tablets, (that has always plagued the category in general), still exists on the iPad. You can't use it standing up unless you poke at it with one finger. You therefore can't type on it or do any data entry of any use, standing up. In fact, you can't type on it effectively at all, unless you lie it on a table, or have a couch or bed handy. It will be difficult to type on it on the train, or on the bus. It won't work very well on your lap while the bus is moving. It wasn't coincidence that Jobs demonstrated it's use from a couch with the device resting on his legs that were propped up. That's the only way it really works.

I wrote a thousand word article on my iPhone just a couple of days ago while standing up on the train on the way home. I won't be able to do that with an iPad, even though it's bigger and has better software. Someone thumb typing in portrait mode on an iPhone will certainly get a much faster typing speed than someone using an iPad. The iPad is almost certainly a step down in terms of data entry. If the thing had a smaller bezel, or was smaller in size, or came in multiple different sizes, this wouldn't' be the case.

IMO this is a colossal design flaw and a big mistake from Apple. Apple *does* make mistakes you know.

You're really on the edge of being totally uninteresting. To say its nothing different from the iPhone is so shortsighted, it's pretty much troll worthy.
post #242 of 280
All these geniuses can portend to see the future of the iPad all that they want... only time will really tell. Personally, I believe that Apple wanted to open up a new market and they don't really give a rat's behind if their current computer market delves into the iPad wholeheartedly or not. Apple is hoping to enter a new market with a new crowd (imo). If the old crowd comes along for the ride... great. If they don't... unfortunate, but still great. How many ipod users do you think owned a Mac. So, criticize away... if Apple had listened to all of you great visionaries I'm sure they would have disappeared long ago.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #243 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I disagree, this is a home device for those who don't want a computer in the living room, but do wanna browse, listen to music and check their email while reading the odd article.

It will have a niche market in business, that it's not aimed squarely at the business market is it's main strength in marketing, and why all others have failed.

IMO, it'll have deep use for students, travelers, business and sales prentations, people who do polling or surveys, medical professionals... I could go on. Many of the same audience for iPhone and iPod touch will want one, but now a whole new range of buyers is open to consider the iPad.

I think we'll be hitting AAPL $250 within 6 months.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #244 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

I have to disagree. I cannot count how many times I have had to use a USB drive to get the latest edits from a colleague on the road or transfer something to the drive to share or print at Kinkos. USB support offers convenience and I don't have to ask person A if their laptop supports it or they if mine supports its. We just plug the drive in, copy and the world is happy. That is easy and easy sells.

Precisely. Having a USB port on the iPad would allow the use of a USB headset, for example, to make Skype calls, even when you're using a BT keyboard. Connect a camera or camcorder. USB thumb drive. Game controllers. Printers. The list is endless because the world connects via USB.

Apple should know better - they started the USB IO revolution.

This is not an iPad thing; to me, this is an Apple thing. The MacBook Air is basically the world's most expensive USB port. External IO came off the iPods of the past. Little remains on the iPhones of today. And now on a device that Apple could potentially sell more of than anything else they've ever manufactured in their history, they deliver it with stripped down connectivity as well.

Controlling the IO allows Apple to control the how, why and when the external world interfaces with that piece of equipment we just purchased - if indeed the device will interface with it to begin with! Their justification is always that it "enables a better user experience." The real reason is simple: $$$$$.

Control enables Apple to extract additional money from their market supplier ecosystem, which in turn, naturally, leads to higher prices for stuff we buy. Because of all the restrictions, rules and regulations imposed on suppliers, there's a smaller number of them and thus, a lower overall volume and choice of peripherals. Our opportunities and choices get limited.

In reality, this control ends up limiting the user experience. But the reality distortion cloud is thick.

Free the iPad!
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #245 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Precisely. Having a USB port on the iPad would allow the use of a USB headset, for example, to make Skype calls, even when you're using a BT keyboard. Connect a camera or camcorder. USB thumb drive. Game controllers. Printers. The list is endless because the world connects via USB.

Free the iPad!

Is it possible for manufacturers to use the 30-pin connector to get around the lack of a USB?

(I like the "Free the iPad!" quote, so I left that in...)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #246 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is it possible for manufacturers to use the 30-pin connector to get around the lack of a USB?

Isn't it already a USB connector? Plugging an iPhone or iPod into a Mac with the cable goes where?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #247 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

[1] You can

[2] Right out of the box you will be able to install and run your iPod/iPhone apps

I know, but I want Stanza and CBR application optimized for iPad screen, not double-pixel stretched. They should appear soon enough, thought.
post #248 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

(I like the "Free the iPad!" quote, so I left that in...)

Thanks for the kind words!

Nope, Apple locks that down. You cannot, as an example, plug directly into a printer, a USB enabled mixer, headphones, external storage, et al. It's strictly meant as an interface from the little Apple world of the device to the big Apple world of iTunes in the sky.

iPad is wholly dependent upon another computer. That's what keeps it from being "revolutionary," and simply a great big huge iPod Touch with better software. Because it must have another computer to fulfill itself bums me out.

That the iPad cannot stand on it's own is it's weakest technological point, I think. Someone on MacInTouch wrote it most succinctly: Too much Touch, not enough Mac. I could not have said it better.

Free the iPad!
post #249 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Perhaps. That's one reason why I got a Dell laptop instead of an Apple: Apple doesn't offer 1080p screens.

I'm prone to agree. I'm pretty surprised that Apple does not offer 1080p on its laptops. My Dell gives me a completely different (and better) experience.

bullshit
a 1080 screen is useless on a laptop
apple play back kills dells playback
'and dude why are you even here ??

you hate apple so much
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #250 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Almost completely. Unless you're in the video editing business, there's really no need to tote around an LCD with 1080p resolution. You can't sit far enough away from it to enjoy the resolution and still see what the hell's going on.

I have a 50 inch HDTV at home, so there's no reason at all to watch a movie on a tiny little laptop screen.

For an instrument like an iPad or the equally crippled MacBook Air, a 1080p video file simply absorbs too much space in storage.

I strongly urge iGenius to enjoy his Dell and the total magnificence that is Windows 7. And of course, I mean that sincerely, I really really do
post #251 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Can't access Active-X or Sharepoint properly from corporate world.

Active-X is dying faster than flash (still not fast enough).

And check this: http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.p...arepoint_2010/

"SharePoint 2010 upgrades Firefox and Safari to Tier 1 browsers."

That means same experience as IE. Also same thing applies to Outlook Web Access for Exchange 2010.

Who knew you can teach an old dog new tricks.
post #252 of 280
Just wondering : sometimes I need my computer with me but don't want to have the hassle of lugging a 6 pounds computer with powerplug and so on.
If I need to work on text files and pictures on the move, is the iPad a nice lightweight solution for this ?
post #253 of 280
Have you guys turned from journalism to propaganda?

That stupid blurb about "80s style file system" is a joke.

A file system (like a decent object data store) allows you to group things together that belong together. What matters is not the apps you work with, but the data. The app should basically disappear.

If the iPad were revolutionary, apps would only be seen in the app store, as something you install, and somewhere in the system settings, with an installation receipt, and a settings section.
Other than that, there should be documents, in a file system that you can organize according to your needs. I mean, is your kitchen cabinet organized with a cabinet for each vendor (Heinz, Kraft, DelMonte), or do you sort by dry goods (pasta, rice), things to be refrigerated (milk, cheese), canned goods (beans, etc.)?

Documents should be grouped by project, date, etc. not by the application that happens to work on it. Just because Project A involves correspondence (Pages) and some calculations (Numbers), and a presentation (Keynote), and maybe some product pictures (Photos), shouldn't mean that that information is scattered all over the device in application specific databases.

Instead you want to see all your project related information at one spot. Intelligent preview functionality should allow you QuickLook like access to all information in one place. If you want to edit anything, you could hit a "modify" button in the QuickLook preview, and the document automatically opens up in the app in question. If you want to add a document to the project, a new document gesture should allow you to do that, and then prompt you to ask what kind of document you want to create.

Opening an app is not something that is a forward looking metaphor, it's backwards, and reminds me of the MS-DOS days, or the C-64, where I had to load an app, and then maybe I could access the data somehow...
post #254 of 280
Quote:

apple play back kills dells playback

Why is 1080p useless on a laptop? It is very crisp. And I can play BluRay at full def.
post #255 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Just wondering : sometimes I need my computer with me but don't want to have the hassle of lugging a 6 pounds computer with powerplug and so on.
If I need to work on text files and pictures on the move, is the iPad a nice lightweight solution for this ?

Not for text. You'll need a separate keyboard to do anything serious.
post #256 of 280
Quote:

Not for text. You'll need a separate keyboard to do anything serious.

There was a best seller in Japan that was written entirely on a cell-phone.

I wrote the entire text (87 pages) for a major project on my iPhone while sitting on trains and only did the layout later on my Mac. Using a different app (Zeptopad) I even tossed together a 10-page presentation in PDF format that was requested over lunch, to be handed in the next day. I gave it to them mid-afternoon the same day by mailing the images, which they printed.

It's possible.

The iPad, with iWork, will do pretty well with text as he is asking. Layout will be finger-swiping good. Typing, that will take a little practice, but the keyboard is much larger than on an iPhone and should be pretty easy to use. Try printing out something similar to the images on Apple's page; draw a box the size of the screen, add in your keyboard letters and print. Try typing on it; it's easy.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #257 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

A file system (like a decent object data store) allows you to group things together that belong together. What matters is not the apps you work with, but the data. The app should basically disappear.

If the iPad were revolutionary, apps would only be seen in the app store, as something you install, and somewhere in the system settings, with an installation receipt, and a settings section.

Agreed. Absolutely. One of the single most convenient elements of a computer is having a folder that contains all the data that might be included in some project - such as a brochure, where an Excel spreadsheet you received from your engineering group holds some data; an Excel spreadsheet from the finance team holds other information; copies of all the individual images used in the brochure; and, snippets of email, quotes, and other key data sources used in the body of the document.

Using the "revolutionary" file mismanagement system of the iPad, I now must remember the exact file name of each image in every damn project ever done, so I can locate it in the fabulous "media browser."

Talk about a time sink. Spreadsheets are attached to email (not even it's actual application!) which may or may not still exist in Mail over time; everything else is scattered about. Who can remember all this crap? I thought that's what computers were for, to make this stuff easier, not harder.

This is not a better system. This is simply easier for Apple and perhaps their developers to execute, launch and maintain, not easier for the users. Such restrictions simply add to the mountain of limitations already being imposed on the iPad by it's creator.

Free the iPad!!!!
post #258 of 280
Quote:

This is not a better system. This is simply easier for Apple and perhaps their developers to execute, launch and maintain, not easier for the users. Such restrictions simply add to the mountain of limitations already being imposed on the iPad by it's creator.

Free the iPad!!!!

What always amazes me is the amount of rhetoric and extrapolation people are willing to do from a limited demo on a product that is not yet shipping.

This is Apple we are talking about, not Microsoft - it's a safe bet we have only seen the surface of how file organization works.

In other words, calm down - there will be plenty of time to break out the torches and pitchforks if it is indeed lacking.
post #259 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

Business isn't going to work around a devices limitations, the device needs to conform to business needs.

THAT would be a revolution.
Business has been working around devices (and software) limitations for ages.
post #260 of 280
Quote:

Have you guys turned from journalism to propaganda?

That stupid blurb about "80s style file system" is a joke.

No. But I think you're right in that iPad's solution is not the right one, either.

Quote:

Other than that, there should be documents, in a file system that you can organize according to your needs. I mean, is your kitchen cabinet organized with a cabinet for each vendor (Heinz, Kraft, DelMonte), or do you sort by dry goods (pasta, rice), things to be refrigerated (milk, cheese), canned goods (beans, etc.)?

Documents should be grouped by project, date, etc. not by the application that happens to work on it. Just because Project A involves correspondence (Pages) and some calculations (Numbers), and a presentation (Keynote), and maybe some product pictures (Photos), shouldn't mean that that information is scattered all over the device in application specific databases.

Instead you want to see all your project related information at one spot. Intelligent preview functionality should allow you QuickLook like access to all information in one place. If you want to edit anything, you could hit a "modify" button in the QuickLook preview, and the document automatically opens up in the app in question. If you want to add a document to the project, a new document gesture should allow you to do that, and then prompt you to ask what kind of document you want to create.

Opening an app is not something that is a forward looking metaphor, it's backwards, and reminds me of the MS-DOS days, or the C-64, where I had to load an app, and then maybe I could access the data somehow...

YES !

But we still have app-centric vision of computing. I'm looking forward project and document centric operating systems and UI. Not only files, but contacts, mails, tasks, events... related to a single project in a single place. Even the application model is wrong. I'd love to have small software components dedicated to a single task working on specific parts of a document (wether it's photo, or text, or whatever) that pops up when I work on them.

Apple gave it a (partial) try in the early 90's with OpenDoc, but failed. Guess it was too early.

But that is for business use. Having photos with photos, music with music... is the way to go for home use.
post #261 of 280
Apple could make a lot of business users happy by helping Adobe create a top-notch version of Acrobat Reader for it. one with an ability to download documents, easily mark the up, and return them to the source.

A lot of business computing is reviewing and marking up documents. Make that easy, and iPads will be a bit hit in businss.
post #262 of 280
PDF is an open format, Apple can make their own, unlike Flash which is reliant on Adobe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple could make a lot of business users happy by helping Adobe create a top-notch version of Acrobat Reader for it. one with an ability to download documents, easily mark the up, and return them to the source.

A lot of business computing is reviewing and marking up documents. Make that easy, and iPads will be a bit hit in businss.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #263 of 280
Quote:

Why is 1080p useless on a laptop? It is very crisp. And I can play BluRay at full def.

It's totally ridiculous and unnecessary. Continue making up arguments that make less and less sense, it's quite entertaining.
post #264 of 280
Quote:

Do you know what 1080p is?

C.
post #265 of 280
Quote:

Almost completely. Unless you're in the video editing business, there's really no need to tote around an LCD with 1080p resolution. You can't sit far enough away from it to enjoy the resolution and still see what the hell's going on.

I have a 50 inch HDTV at home, so there's no reason at all to watch a movie on a tiny little laptop screen.

For an instrument like an iPad or the equally crippled MacBook Air, a 1080p video file simply absorbs too much space in storage.

I strongly urge iGenius to enjoy his Dell and the total magnificence that is Windows 7. And of course, I mean that sincerely, I really really do

nice post i hope igenius hears your siren call !!

reverse the 52'' thought
WITH out 720p a 42' plasma or 46 in anything would be un-watchable
WITH OUT HIGH END 720P OR 720I AND OR 1080 P OR 1080i a 52 in or larger would be unwatchable
\\every godamn thing would be pixelated
Quote:

your device downgraded it to a much lower level ... 1080p on a 15 in dia screen>>it is like stuffing a fucking turkey and stuffing sandwhich in your mouth all at once while jogging in 4 sweat suits up all the steps in the empire state building .
backwards .

your 1080p if held in its first form is good for porting or up linking to your 90 in super dell tv screen !!

calm down my buddy and be one of us
our cult is not so bad
the kool aid is quite the killer

peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

PDF is an open format, Apple can make their own, unlike Flash which is reliant on Adobe.

ALSO nice post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's totally ridiculous and unnecessary. Continue making up arguments that make less and less sense, it's quite entertaining.

yes it is
hey he got brainwashed by msft laptop chicks who make movies on 600 dollar dells
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Do you know what 1080p is?

C.

you are my friend have been the finest poster here lately
your chart is great
i genius could use some links
>>>
off topic dude
do you feel apple will start MVDO SW soon ??

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #266 of 280
Quote:

you are my friend have been the finest poster here lately
your chart is great
i genius could use some links

Seconded. C. is a bit naive --- though still trying to make sense --- when it comes to computers, software, hardware, but in imaging he knows to tell good from bad....

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #267 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Seconded. C. is a bit naive --- though still trying to make sense --- when it comes to computers, software, hardware, but in imaging he knows to tell good from bad....

under an ever darkening sky the companions continued there trek down that last lonely road . food long gone , sips of water would have to hold till they espied a break in the dusks crushing gloom .. Heavy heavy weighed them all down . River and streams crossed there paths sang songs of .....
tearful endings .. Sad sad songs the forrest sang back to the cold un forgiving waters . these 4 walkers hurried ever faster yet it seemed to get them no further since they joined this path .. elves passing far off going the other way to the grey seas of ....sang songs of the first age
of melkor
of battles lost
kinfreds broken asunder
fear struck >> the four walkers started to run >>frodo went in a full sprint all his gear clanking and awakening the dead mans forrest >>before all 4 collapsed for wont of breathe .
pip looked up and saw the light in a far off blurry window
the window turned in a cobble stone wall
the wide oaken door slowly opened and
and an entwife beckoned them to join the party
in the last cottage of lost-play
before long 8 feet were up in front of the roaring fire large mugs of
hot spiced apple cider tea wine filled the cosy air
the cold slowly left the weary travelers
sleep stole over the childlike forms
tom bombardil sang of this forgotten night long ago
sting was also by frodo's side safety glowing blue
tom himself slept bit
the road goes on for ever

apple user lament aside
we finally reached that cottage
why can't some sit back and marvel at our good fortune
how soon we forget the evil days
how soon
waken me when the nano phone arrive's
lostplay
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #268 of 280
Epic! Can't hold back my tears. I fell asleep after having seen 10 minutes of that in theater, I remember. But it was nowhere near your narrative, I guarantee you...

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #269 of 280
Quote:

Epic! Can't hold back my tears. I fell asleep after having seen 10 minutes of that in theater, I remember. But it was nowhere near your narrative, I guarantee you...

a 1970 live P[INK FLOYD SHOW
JAN 18 TH WILL BE YOURS
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #270 of 280
Quote:

a 1970 live P[INK FLOYD SHOW
JAN 18 TH WILL BE YOURS

Get drier between your ears, my young friend. Jimmy & Robert are part of my heart for ever. Strange as it may be, your perfect instrumentalists don't touch anything in my soul in the least...

P.S. I believe your credibility is over

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #271 of 280
How much training would it REALLY take, to move office workers from a PC to this device?

My 4-year-old works perfectly fine on my iTouch.

You could make an "interface skin" that people can download that makes these apps look more like Office -- but the NEW version of Office is an adjustment anyway from the old version - once again, the icons are moved to make it look like an upgrade. But it does have better drop shadows!

My company is highly security conscious, they are actually looking at ideas where you run Windows virtually -- and this over long distance -- so it's Terminal 2.0.

They'd be better of running Google Chrome -- it's lighter weight and designed for sandboxes and lighter weight (as far as net traffic).

But an iPad -- it's the computer and the security built in. Nothing gets on or off it unless it goes through a secure gateway -- and I expect that Apple will provide a LOCK-IN option for that local network.

$500 for a device where the networking, email, and most of the support is cheap/ free that can be taken home at night, but secure, and up-dateable from anywhere they log in on the web? You could pay for that with the costs of network and Exchange alone.

>> I plan to use them for creating Kiosks in the waiting room of some offices -- this is a real bargain and nothing I seen is better suited -- However, I hope they have an attractive KEY LOCK to keep an iPad in one place.
post #272 of 280
Quote:

Get drier between your ears, my young friend. Jimmy & Robert are part of my heart for ever. Strange as it may be, your perfect instrumentalists don't touch anything in my soul in the least...

P.S. I believe your credibility is over

how the west was won made me throw all the studio zep discs frisbee style in the air
i shall return to my whire room now and wait for andromeda to crash into our milkyway
goodbye
enigma

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #273 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

What always amazes me is the amount of rhetoric and extrapolation people are willing to do from a limited demo on a product that is not yet shipping.

This is Apple we are talking about, not Microsoft - it's a safe bet we have only seen the surface of how file organization works.

In other words, calm down - there will be plenty of time to break out the torches and pitchforks if it is indeed lacking.

Really? That's what amazes you? What an odd life you lead.

Of course we've only seen the surface - it's not even Version 1 yet - but I'm responding to Apple's insistence that this device can be a business instrument as is and frankly, it ain't there. The few and fleeting moments I've had to play with the unit tells me the wacky file system where apps tell you where you will live is just bonkers. Reminds me of Win3. Seriously.

What we're trying to do here is brainstorm on how to make the device better. People can dislike things and its just ok, dude... regardless of whether you're into it or not.

You can now get great taste in a decaffeinated coffee, man. Let it be, everyone deserves an opinion, there was nothing incorrect with my facts; hell, you never even addressed that! Chill.

- - -

PS Think of the iPad as an interactive handheld advertising billboard, positioned to sell it's owners all sorts of media. For that, it'll be a remarkable money making instrument.
post #274 of 280
Quote:

I hope so. My iPhone is extremely it could locked down, and will not play the majority of movie formats. It is also missing important audio codecs like .flac and .ogg.

Are you thinking that the 'Pad will play these? That would be great.

But unless it does, I don't see how it allows media consumption of all kinds. Additionally, I don't understand how it is better for movie consumption than a netbook with widescreen formatting. Their decision to make it 4:3 results in letterboxing and a smaller picture than many netbooks with the same "10 inch" screen.

I wouldn't call the same device with a different screen size "a massive innovation". But there's way too much argument here about the meanings of words (dictionaries don't even seem to help) so I won't argue.

You can't have it both ways - complain that all those who say size is a massive innovation are playing semantics but that your belief that it isn't is somehow objective. Some people think it is an innovation, you don't - get over it. (You're wrong BTW ;-)

This is not designed for the geek who cares about the aural difference between MP3/AAC/Flac, nor anyone geeky enough to be downloading DIVX avi's from torrents. It is the for the massive casual market who buys stuff from iTunes, gets the iPod copy of their film off the DVD/BRD and thinks format is what you do when your Winblows HD goes wrong.
Your wishlist is not relevant for designing a product for the largest possible market just like the other stupid comments about the bezel - it is designed so my 85yr old granny or 8 yr old godson can just as easily hold it as a 30-something male with a strong grip. Anyone who can't see that is a fool of even greater proportions than the bezel upon which they rant.
post #275 of 280
I'm interested in the repeated use of "casual" to describe the iPad.

Just to indulge the dread car metaphor, it would be as if everyone were expected to be a car enthusiast, endlessly fascinated by fuel ratios and suspension settings and horse power and piston arrangement. And it was understood that a real car needed to be able to go at least 100 mph and be up for a cross country trip and haul at least 2,000 lbs. of gear, because "serious drivers" doing "real work" needed those things.

And then someone were to make a car "appliance" that was designed for overwhelmingly majority use case, short interurban trips such as commuting and doing errands and going to visit friends, and we were to call that "casual motoring", with just a tiny little sneer.

Except to most people we would call that "driving."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #276 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post

I can install an App like FMtouch and get our whole database on the iPad and items can be located, pulled, shipped and tracked all straight from the warehouse while my employees are mobile. Not to mention printing orders via bluetooth to a central printer, and emailing customers with shipping details via WiFi. As for "multitasking" on the iPad, other tasks that require a computer can be performed better on their desktop computers running the full Mac OS.

I wish there was a better solution than FMTouch ... I haven't seen any updates lately from them and even some of my simpler relationships don't work properly.

Sure wish FileMaker would come out with an iPhone/iPad version. You'd think they'd have some pull! ;-)

You are also assuming there are print drivers ... is that mentioned somewhere?
post #277 of 280
Quote:

I'd like to congratulate iGenius for jumping in right at the start and making a ridiculous statement regarding the iPad. You really got this going for a long time.

l look forward to other trolls from you, These Apple fanboys are so easy to wind up!
post #278 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

LOL, So powerpoint is the market leader by volume of sales,

yes.

Quote:
and therefore must always be the de-facto standard?

yes.

Quote:
Irrespective of the fact that it's not as powerful as keynote, doesn't look as good as is less intuitive to learn/use?

yes.

I'm a keynote fan and user but ppt is the de-facto standard. Many conferences wont take presentations in anything else because they pre-setup all the presentation machines and they run windows. Having presenters swap in their own notebooks is just a non-starter if you have a bunch of them.

It might be a little bit better if Apple had at least made a keynote player for windows.
post #279 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Let's settle this once and for all.

Not bloody likely.

Quote:
Gee, whatta you know? iGenius is right, and all that crap about "needing" the bezel for your thumbs is just lame justification by people dazzled by teh shiny.

The bezel is there because all that fancy sensing technology in the Apple patents we all read about didn't make it into the iPad.

Given that Apple never said there would be magic pixie dust sensing technology in the iPad I dunno why anyone expected anything different. Yes, the bezel is there to both a) provide more space for guts of the iPad and b) provide more border to reduce spurious touch input.

Quote:
  • It's not a "revolutionary" device.
  • It does nothing different from the iPod and iPhone.
  • It's just bigger.

The fact that it is just bigger does make it significantly different from the iPod and iPhone. The user interaction changes significantly and that could be revolutionary. In fact, given the little I've seen, I believe it is revolutionary in as much as it likely represents the first widespread and usable desktop scale UI paradigm that isn't WIMP based.

Quote:
Because it's bigger it actually has *less* functionality than an iPod or iPhone in that you cannot thumb type on it.

Given that corner split keyboards are possible that's not strictly true just due to size. Given you can TOUCH TYPE on it when flat, on your lap and other times the fact that you can't thumb type is mostly irrelevant.

Quote:
Therefore one of the biggest drawbacks of tablets, (that has always plagued the category in general), still exists on the iPad. You can't use it standing up unless you poke at it with one finger.

No, this is not the biggest drawbacks of tablets. Hardly anyone want's to type standing up anyway. Show me more than a handful of use cases where anyone really gives a shit between thumb typing and finger poking while standing?

The biggest drawbacks to tablets has been that the UI has typically been WIMP based and not stylus or touch centric. Meaning Windows Tablet Edition is mostly just Windows with some Ink capability and the OneNote app.

This is suboptimal for the format and a far more significant problem than a few folks wanting to type standing up.

Quote:
You therefore can't type on it or do any data entry of any use, standing up.

Again, show me more than a handful of use cases where anyone gives a shit. In any case, this is completely wrong. See the citations for one handed typing below.

Quote:
It will be difficult to type on it on the train, or on the bus. It won't work very well on your lap while the bus is moving.

Trains aren't that bumpy. On a train it would be perfectly fine in most cases...even on crappy US Amtrak rails.

Even busses aren't THAT bumpy.

Quote:
I wrote a thousand word article on my iPhone just a couple of days ago while standing up on the train on the way home. I won't be able to do that with an iPad, even though it's bigger and has better software. Someone thumb typing in portrait mode on an iPhone will certainly get a much faster typing speed than someone using an iPad.

Given that very few people type a thousand words standing up very often this is an edge case and not a very common one.

In any case i can type single handed faster than you can likely thumb type anyway. I just did it for this paragraph for the first time...with practice it would be much faster using my thumb and 3 fingers and not just two thumbs (I don't seem to use my pinky when typing one handed).

They make software for 1-handed qwerty and the claim is 60-90% of two handed typing speeds...up to 64 words per minute.

http://half-qwerty.com/

Here's an actual journal article with actual research that supports this claim

http://edgarmatias.com/papers/hci96/

This would be fairly easy to do in software if it proves useful for the iPad. Instead of holding down the space bar, just drop you thumb so it touches the pad surface at the same time.

50% two-handed typing speed after 8 hours of training. After 10 hours up to 73% or 23.8-42.8 wpm. Not bad at all.

Even just using the normal keyboard 1-handed was not that bad either.

"Welcome! I am a one handed typist.
I lost most of my left hand in an accident when I was 10. Today I type 40 -80 wpm on a normal keyboard.
I am also the author of 13 books, all of which I typed myself."

http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/

With as much practice as you've had with thumb typing I'm sure I could beat your thumb typing speed.

Quote:
The iPad is almost certainly a step down in terms of data entry. If the thing had a smaller bezel, or was smaller in size, or came in multiple different sizes, this wouldn't' be the case.

Heck no. I can use a BT keyboard with the iPad and I can't with my iPhone today. That's a gazillion times better. That's ignoring that typing one handed is faster than thumb typing anyway.

Quote:
IMO this is a colossal design flaw and a big mistake from Apple. Apple *does* make mistakes you know.

Not in this case. The research says different regarding typing speeds. Unless you're claiming 30+ wpm thumb typing on an iphone...
post #280 of 280
Evidently some cops already get a lot of practice typing 1 handed:

http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/policetyping.html

So it's not just this one lady who can do 85 wpm one handed. heck, I can't do 85 wpm with two hands.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to target iPad at business users through new features - sources